PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc 2nd look Pack vs Saints

Rastak
09-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Saints head coach Sean Payton did a good job in Week 1 of mixing things up in his play-calling. Look for Payton to utilize both Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush on the field a lot this week against a Packers defense that allowed 361 total yards against the Bears. The Saints will look to attack with their short, high-percentage passing attack to set up the run against a pretty good Packers front seven led by MLB Nick Barnett. The Packers have a pretty good core of young defensive players in Aaron Kampman, Nick Collins and A.J. Hawk.

Favre• Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was hired with a plan to eliminate Brett Favre's high-risk throws that resulted in a career-high 29 interceptions last year. Look for McCarthy to incorporate a plan this week that brings more balance to the offense by mixing up the run and pass on heavy run down tendencies. The game plan will still consist of a heavy dose of RB Ahman Green, but the Packers will look to exploit the Saints on early downs off play-action passes attacking the short and intermediate areas of the field.
Also, look for Favre to take a few more chances vertically and try to exploit inexperienced Saints safeties of Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper. The Packers need more production out of their receiving corps opposite Donald Driver. Both Greg Jennings and Robert Ferguson need to step up in a big way on Sunday.

• Payton will spread the field by utilizing Bush to create mismatches that he can exploit and attack through the air or create better running lanes for McAllister. The Saints are expected to be without starting fullback Mike Karney and backup fullback Keith Joseph, both of whom were injured against the Browns. They signed fullback Corey McIntyre off the street this week. Look for the Saints to incorporate a lot to 22 personnel groupings (2 running backs, 2 tight ends) by detaching Bush out in the formation and using starting tight end Ernie Conwell in the backfield as the H-back. This will force the Packers to play a lot of seven fronts on first and second down.

• Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders will continue to utilize Ahmad Carroll as the third corner in the Packers' sub defensive packages. Payton loves to spread the field and create mismatches that he can exploit in passing situations. Sanders will counter this by using either LC Charles Woodson or RC Al Harris in the slot depending on matchup and the alignment of either Bush or Joe Horn. The Packers will rely on their four-man rush to create pressure on QB Drew Brees, while playing different combinations, either man-under or zone with two deep safeties over the top to disrupt the timing and rhythm of the Saints' passing attack. The Saints' offensive line had four new starters from a year ago and allowed no sacks in last week's game against the Browns. That ended a dubious streak of 27 straight games allowing at last one sack.

• Two of the most intriguing matchups will consist of Packers RT Mark Tauscher against the Saints LDE Charles Grant and LT Chad Clifton against the Saints RDE Will Smith. It's hard to find two better bookend tackles or two better defensive ends who can rush the passer like Smith and Grant. However, the Packers' biggest concerns this week will be the interior of their offensive line due to the youth and inexperience at the position.

• In the quarterback comparison, Favre had 15 completions on 29 attempts for 170 yards last week. He finished with a completion percentage of 51.7 with zero touchdown passes and two interceptions. He had a quarterback rating of 40.9 and was sacked three times. Favre needs to eliminate mistakes and make plays in the passing game this week against a vulnerable Saints secondary. Brees completed 17 passes on 31 attempts for 176 yards. He had a completion percentage of 54.8 with one touchdown and one interception. He had a passer rating of 68.8 and was sacked zero times. However, he was very effective in the way he managed the game and ran the offense.

• Both teams are building for the future. The Packers officially have the youngest team in the NFL, while the new-look Saints opened the season against the Browns with 11 players in the offensive and defensive lineups who had never before started a game for the team. Six of the new starters were on offense and five lined up on defense. Also, they used rookie punter Steve Weatherford.

With a dearth of playmakers on offense, the Packers signed Koren Robinson this week. Robinson, a sixth-year veteran, was selected to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner in 2005. He led the NFC with a kickoff return average of 26 yards for the Vikings. Robinson was a first-round draft pick of Seattle in 2001, when current Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson was the Seahawks' vice president of football operations.

Robinson has some off-the-field character issues but should be a solid playmaker for the Packers. Look for the Packers to utilize Robinson on offense and in the return game this week.

Special Teams
Saints kicker John Carney was 4-for-4 in field goals last week and rookie punter Weatherford averaged 45.0 yards on three kicks, but the Saints were only average in their coverage teams.

The Packers' special teams were simply outplayed in last week's loss to the Bears. They allowed an 84-yard punt return for a touchdown and Noah Herron fumbled a kickoff return that led to a field goal.

Matchups
New Orleans RB Deuce McAllister vs. Green Bay MLB Nick Barnett
New Orleans WR Joe Horn vs. Green Bay DC Charles Woodson
Green Bay QB Brett Favre vs. Saints secondary
Green Bay RDE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila vs. New Orleans LT Jammal Brown
New Orleans LB corps vs. Green Bay RB Ahman Green

Scouts' Edge
The Packers can ill afford to the start the season with two straight losses at home under new head coach Mike McCarthy; the Saints look to improve to 2-0 under new coach Sean Payton. Brees has played well on the road as a starter in the NFL, while Favre will look to bounce back from his poor opening-day performance.

The play on special teams will be critical to the outcome of this game. Look for the Saints to come up with enough big plays to beat the Packers and open the season with two consecutive road wins for the first time in franchise history.

Prediction: Saints 20, Packers 16

No Mo Moss
09-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Booo. We must win!

swede
09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Look for McCarthy to incorporate a plan this week that brings more balance to the offense by mixing up the run and pass on heavy run down tendencies. The game plan will still consist of a heavy dose of RB Ahman Green, but the Packers will look to exploit the Saints on early downs off play-action passes attacking the short and intermediate areas of the field.

I'm getting cynical already. I don't look for anything of the kind. I'm not sure this offensive staff has a clue how to create and execute an offensive plan that involves exploiting an opponents weaknesses. I'll be happy if they can all line up and run a play without missing assignments.

Packnut
09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Look for McCarthy to incorporate a plan this week that brings more balance to the offense by mixing up the run and pass on heavy run down tendencies. The game plan will still consist of a heavy dose of RB Ahman Green, but the Packers will look to exploit the Saints on early downs off play-action passes attacking the short and intermediate areas of the field.

I'm getting cynical already. I don't look for anything of the kind. I'm not sure this offensive staff has a clue how to create and execute an offensive plan that involves exploiting an opponents weaknesses. I'll be happy if they can all line up and run a play without missing assignments.

I don't think MM understands the concept of play action on early downs, at least he sure did'nt against the Bears.

pbmax
09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Play action doesn't work if you can't run. You need to have them worried about your running before you can play action pass.

And scheming to your opponents weakness only works if you can execute it.

If your strong suit is to run the ball and you spend time passing, you are putting the cart before the horse.

Packnut
09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Play action doesn't work if you can't run. You need to have them worried about your running before you can play action pass.

And scheming to your opponents weakness only works if you can execute it.

If your strong suit is to run the ball and you spend time passing, you are putting the cart before the horse.

Several teams use pass to set up the run. The Bears did not run the ball well at all in pre-season yet Manuel bit hard on the fake. They did'nt follow your recipe (a running team using thepass) and won easily dis-proving your opinion. Yeah, if 3 or 4 games into the season you can't run, then teams will not bite on play-action, but this was the 1st game.

Terry
09-16-2006, 04:19 AM

Lombardi loved to create offensive plans that went right up against opponents' strengths rather than trying to exploit their weaknesses. It's masterful psychology when you can make it work - which of course, Lombardi and those players could.