PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Staffords HOF chances

RashanGary
02-24-2022, 12:51 PM
He's 34 years old.

49,995 yards
323 Touchdowns
161 Interceptions

If he plays 7 more years. That puts him at age 40 as his last good year in the NFL, and he averages 4,000 yards, 28 touchdowns and 10 interceptions he'd finish with

78,000 yards
519 touchdowns
231 interceptions

He would finish 3rd in yards, 4th in touchdown passes and similar to Brees and Manning in interceptions.

He's got a shot next year to have a better year than he had this year with the Rams. He could easily make a run for MVP.

I think he's an MVP away from locking up his HOF spot. Even without the MVP, one more super bowl would do it too.

RashanGary
02-24-2022, 12:52 PM
If he was on a better team for most of his career I think he'd already be in the conversation and have probably won an MVP.

King Friday
02-24-2022, 03:47 PM
I think he will make the HOF. The 17th game will wind up helping him.

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2022, 10:23 PM
The only way he makes HOF is if he wins another super bowl. I just don't see him as a HOFer. Hall of very good, maybe.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-25-2022, 04:35 AM
The only way he makes HOF is if he wins another super bowl. I just don't see him as a HOFer. Hall of very good, maybe.

I would disagree, The HOF committee must look at just talent, not just if you were lucky enough to be on a talented team. Stafford was an excellent QB on a shitty team..

Upnorth
02-25-2022, 06:20 AM
Is Stafford much better than David Carr?
Stafford vs Matt Ryan in their primes who do you take?

I think I would pick Carr and Ryan over stafford, but even if you disagree with me show me there is a large gap between them that shows Stafford is substantial better.

Until then hall of very good.

Or to extended it to be the 2004 draft, I would pick rapiestburger over stafford, likely rivers over Stafford and finally Stafford over Eli.

Still hall of very good imo.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 06:40 AM
He's 34 years old.

49,995 yards
323 Touchdowns
161 Interceptions

If he plays 7 more years. That puts him at age 40 as his last good year in the NFL, and he averages 4,000 yards, 28 touchdowns and 10 interceptions he'd finish with

78,000 yards
519 touchdowns
231 interceptions

He would finish 3rd in yards, 4th in touchdown passes and similar to Brees and Manning in interceptions.

He's got a shot next year to have a better year than he had this year with the Rams. He could easily make a run for MVP.

I think he's an MVP away from locking up his HOF spot. Even without the MVP, one more super bowl would do it too.

Rams have traded and leveraged the future for this ring. Honestly they will regress each of the next 5 seasons. Stafford probably shouldn't make the hall for this reason. How many years have you said to yourself "ya know, stafford is a top 5 QB in the NFL this year". I don't think I ever have....much less consistently said so.

bobblehead
02-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Top 5 QB this season:

Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Maholmes, Allen? I think almost everyone would agree on Rodgers, Brady, Maholmes. Maybe you could make an argument for Stafford sneaking in, but he threw a bunch of pick 6s for a stretch. Even threw 2 picks in the Owl. Threw another one in NFCC.

Just can't see him making it without like 5 more stellar years and maybe another ring.

call_me_ishmael
02-25-2022, 11:19 AM
I would disagree, The HOF committee must look at just talent, not just if you were lucky enough to be on a talented team. Stafford was an excellent QB on a shitty team..

I would say the numbers don't support that. I personally think he is very talented, but he makes a lot of mistakes too. A poor man's Brett Favre. Matt Stafford is Phil Rivers. Good player, never elite. Amazing in fantasy football lol. But never once was he a top 3-4 QB in the league. Not a single season. Longevity is great but I don't just don't see a HOF guy there. No all-pro, no all-decade, a single pro-bowl, etc.

Fritz
02-25-2022, 11:57 AM
We always pitch numbers, which I suppose we must, when it comes to HOF discussions. But not only has the number of games changed - what would Bart Starr's or Johnny Unitas's or Joe Namath's numbers been with seventeen regular-season games? - but the rules and conditions have changed. No domes to play in come December. Quarterbacks back then being not just sacked but ravaged. A vicious helmet-to-helmet hit, and the reaction was "Ohh, what a hit!" Imagine the numbers Starr or Unitas or Namath or Y.A. Tittle could've piled up if they knew that they could only be tackled from the shoulders down, and that they couldn't be roughed up, really. Thus, a quarterback's shelf life back then was shorter, much shorter. How could it not be? So again, you couldnt pile up the numbers back then. How long do you think Tom Brady would have been able to play if he'd been playing under the rules of, say, 1970? I doubt that Aaron Rodgers would have played past 35. Then there were the rules that allowed defensive backs to make savage hits, so receivers weren't able to stretch out and grab a ball without getting slammed and dropping it. Oh, and DB's could famously use stickem back then. Lots of the almost-interceptions that, say, Brett Favre threw would have stuck to Lester Hayes's hands if Favre had played in the 70's. And Favre still played under tougher rules as far as hitting the QB than Aaron Rodgers does now.

So it's really hard to gauge. I think Matt Stafford is a good quarterback - certainly the best one I've ever seen under center for the Detroit Lions, and I go back to the days of them shuttling Bill Munson and Greg Landry back-and-forth. That's a lot of QB's. Admittedly, the Lions' QB's sucked, but Stafford was still the best of the bunch. But HOF? I don't think so, no. As others mentioned, the dude threw two picks in the SB.

King Friday
02-25-2022, 04:11 PM
Big Ben will be a HOF QB. Stafford can EASILY eclipse a lot of his stat levels. Voters will absolutely take into account that he played so long for an inept franchise like the Lions.

As long as Stafford remains in the top 2-3 QBs in the NFC over the next 4 seasons, he has a strong chance to make the HOF. He's certainly not in there now...and I don't believe that is the question at hand. We are talking about after all is said and done.

King Friday
02-25-2022, 04:19 PM
BTW

Stafford was #4 in QBR rating this past season. He absolutely was a top 5 QB last season. He threw for almost 5,000 yards and 41 TDs.

And won a title.

RashanGary
02-25-2022, 04:32 PM
I want to see him next year on the same team in the same offense. He could be even better. Even MVP better.

I would like to see him win MVP and then finish his career strong. He would get in then.

call_me_ishmael
02-25-2022, 04:44 PM
Big Ben will be a HOF QB. Stafford can EASILY eclipse a lot of his stat levels. Voters will absolutely take into account that he played so long for an inept franchise like the Lions.

As long as Stafford remains in the top 2-3 QBs in the NFC over the next 4 seasons, he has a strong chance to make the HOF. He's certainly not in there now...and I don't believe that is the question at hand. We are talking about after all is said and done.

Numbers aren't everything. Big Ben won 2 super bowls, went to 3. He never had a losing season, Stafford has had, what, 2 or 3 winning seasons? Big Ben is fringe IMO though because I'm not sure he was ever top 2 or 3 at his position. I don't really view him that different than Phil Rivers either if not for the super bowls.

Tony Oday
02-25-2022, 05:05 PM
If a QB wins 2 he is in the Hall.

King Friday
02-25-2022, 07:13 PM
Numbers aren't everything. Big Ben won 2 super bowls, went to 3. He never had a losing season, Stafford has had, what, 2 or 3 winning seasons? Big Ben is fringe IMO though because I'm not sure he was ever top 2 or 3 at his position. I don't really view him that different than Phil Rivers either if not for the super bowls.

You continue to hold the Lions against Stafford. It wasn't his fault the Lions were horse shit. He put up good numbers on a team mostly devoid of offensive talent. Few QBs could even handle that situation. Many put in the same boat as top draft picks failed horribly.

RashanGary
02-25-2022, 07:57 PM
Stafford is 6th best odds to win MVP next year and I like his chances being in the second year of the offense. If he wins it, that locks up his Canton bid because his numbers will be there.

Upnorth
02-25-2022, 08:38 PM
If a QB wins 2 he is in the Hall.

Eli will be so undeserving. He is way less deserving than troy aikman who is undeserving. Stupid nfce

bobblehead
02-26-2022, 09:40 AM
BTW

Stafford was #4 in QBR rating this past season. He absolutely was a top 5 QB last season. He threw for almost 5,000 yards and 41 TDs.

And won a title.

So which of my top 5 would you replace with Stafford? Burrow who almost beat him in the owl with a far inferior roster, or Allen who is just better at nearly everything? Brady? Maybe, but its close and Brady is 44.

I don't go by stats so much, because that can be the result of a lot of things. I go by saying that each generation only a small handful should be considered all time greats. During Staffords career I have always considered him not quite top 5 in any year. Even this year, him being on a loaded roster I don't think he was.

bobblehead
02-26-2022, 09:43 AM
You continue to hold the Lions against Stafford. It wasn't his fault the Lions were horse shit. He put up good numbers on a team mostly devoid of offensive talent. Few QBs could even handle that situation. Many put in the same boat as top draft picks failed horribly.

I disagree. GREAT QBs don't say "its not my fault". We have had hours of debate on GB giving Rodgers enough talent. He wins even when the talent isn't quite as good. Greatness does in fact elevate others, at least to the wildcard. Stafford doesn't do that.

King Friday
02-26-2022, 07:05 PM
I disagree. GREAT QBs don't say "its not my fault". We have had hours of debate on GB giving Rodgers enough talent. He wins even when the talent isn't quite as good. Greatness does in fact elevate others, at least to the wildcard. Stafford doesn't do that.

The talent around Rodgers is ridiculously good compared to ANYTHING Stafford had in Detroit. Rodgers played behind possibly the best LT in the game during much of his career...and also has had an abundance of riches at WR. Jennings? Driver? Jordy? Adams? Every single one of those guys is heads and shoulders better than anyone in Detroit the last 10+ seasons.

Put Rodgers in Detroit, and he isn't a top 5 QB in the league. He would likely make them a marginal playoff team, which is still a miracle...but that kind of team finish doesn't get you into the top 5 as QB.

RashanGary
02-26-2022, 07:36 PM
The talent around Rodgers is ridiculously good compared to ANYTHING Stafford had in Detroit. Rodgers played behind possibly the best LT in the game during much of his career...and also has had an abundance of riches at WR. Jennings? Driver? Jordy? Adams? Every single one of those guys is heads and shoulders better than anyone in Detroit the last 10+ seasons.

Put Rodgers in Detroit, and he isn't a top 5 QB in the league. He would likely make them a marginal playoff team, which is still a miracle...but that kind of team finish doesn't get you into the top 5 as QB.

He had megatron, Golladay, Tate and Marvin Jones.

RashanGary
02-26-2022, 07:41 PM
I think Stafford is the most underrated QB of the last 20 years because of the bad teams he played on.

However, one probowl does not equal HOF.

He still has a chance to finish strong with an MVP, pro bowls and maybe another super bowl. He has an outside shot.

But he is on the outside looking in now.

RashanGary
02-26-2022, 07:44 PM
Stafford is a 1 time pro bowler.

Rivers is an 8 time pro bowler.

I think Stafford needs 3 more pro bowls and an MVP to have a shot.

run pMc
03-03-2022, 08:31 AM
No. He should not be in the HOF.

Stafford has had a lot of stat padding. In 2012 he attempted over 700 passes at a low 6.8 y/a and still managed to complete less than 60% of them. In 12 seasons he's finished TWO seasons with a QB rating over 100.
There's the eyeball test as well: he makes some good throws followed by terrible ones.

He's had talent to throw to, despite being on some garbage Detroit teams. (Imagine Rodgers throwing to Megatron.) Rodgers has lifted mediocre teams to NFCN titles; Stafford hasn't done that.

And yes...Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Joe Flacco have won a SB too.

You could say he's a good QB but not HOF worthy. Right now there are at least 5 QBs in the league you'd probably take over him.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-03-2022, 09:30 AM
No. He should not be in the HOF.

Stafford has had a lot of stat padding. In 2012 he attempted over 700 passes at a low 6.8 y/a and still managed to complete less than 60% of them. In 12 seasons he's finished TWO seasons with a QB rating over 100.
There's the eyeball test as well: he makes some good throws followed by terrible ones.

He's had talent to throw to, despite being on some garbage Detroit teams. (Imagine Rodgers throwing to Megatron.) Rodgers has lifted mediocre teams to NFCN titles; Stafford hasn't done that.

And yes...Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Joe Flacco have won a SB too.

You could say he's a good QB but not HOF worthy. Right now there are at least 5 QBs in the league you'd probably take over him.

Matt Ryan will eventually get in...with, odds are good, zero rings. If Stafford retires today, he might not be a first ballot, but eventually, the ring will shine bright enough to get him in.

RashanGary
03-03-2022, 06:47 PM
Matt Ryan will eventually get in...with, odds are good, zero rings. If Stafford retires today, he might not be a first ballot, but eventually, the ring will shine bright enough to get him in.

One pro bowl. No way

Upnorth
03-04-2022, 09:29 AM
If Stafford Eli and flacco get in I give up on the hall.

run pMc
03-04-2022, 03:02 PM
For fun go watch the GB-DET Thanksgiving 2009 game. It's a nice trip down memory lane, and showcases the good and mostly bad of 'Stat Padford'.
He's talented but inconsistent; I don't think you can reward him a spot in the HOF.

I don't think Matt Ryan deserves to get in either. I think there were maybe 3 years where you could argue he was elite. His Superb Owl appearance helps his cause, but I always saw him as more facilitator/manager than playmaker.

Between 2010 and 2020, in what years where Stafford or Ryan a top 5 QB (by...let's say QB rating or DVOA)? I think you need to be in that list most of those years to be in the HOF. There are too many players at other positions who are as worthy if not more than those two.