PDA

View Full Version : New Movie Reviews

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Post your thoughts, observations, reflections, impressions, musings etc. about a movie that's currently in the theatres.

I'll start off with "The Illusionist", starring Ed Norton, Paul Giamatti, Rufus Sewell and Jessica Biel. Period piece set in the early 1900s in Vienna. Essentially a romance, with great performances by Norton, Giamatti and Sewell and with a disappointing performance by Biel, and about the mysterious magician Eisenheim. I won't give away the plot, but let's just say that Eisenheim (played by Norton) is one of the most skilled and believeable magicians ever to be played on the screen and is in love with the fiance of the Crown Prince of Vienna.

I highly recommend this movie. It's by independent studio Yari Film Group, so it may not be in your local cinema and may be a bit hard to find, but well worth the trip if you're able to find it.

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Going to see "The Last Kiss" tomorrow. I'll try to post something about that this weekend. It's received very mixed reviews. (But, hey, I loved "Garden State", so I'm going to give it a chance.)

tyler

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Post your thoughts, observations, reflections, impressions, musings etc. about a movie that's currently in the theatres.

I'll start off with "The Illusionist", starring Ed Norton, Paul Giamatti, Rufus Sewell and Jessica Biel. Period piece set in the early 1900s in Vienna. Essentially a romance, with great performances by Norton, Giamatti and Sewell and with a disappointing performance by Biel, and about the mysterious magician Eisenheim. I won't give away the plot, but let's just say that Eisenheim (played by Norton) is one of the most skilled and believeable magicians ever to be played on the screen and is in love with the fiance of the Crown Prince of Vienna.

I highly recommend this movie. It's by independent studio Yari Film Group, so it may not be in your local cinema and may be a bit hard to find, but well worth the trip if you're able to find it.

Don't you EVER say anything negative about Jessica Biel.

Mazzin
09-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Jack, why all the girly movies, you going with your girl right?

Zool
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Going to see "The Last Kiss" tomorrow. I'll try to post something about that this weekend. It's received very mixed reviews. (But, hey, I loved "Garden State", so I'm going to give it a chance.)

tylerI LOVED Garden State, mostly cause my future wife plays the female lead. Not to get sidetracked any further, but I finally caught V and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

These are girl movies Maz....sisterhood of traveling pants is a girl movie. These are.....well they just arent girl movies ok?

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Jack, why all the girly movies, you going with your girl right?

Of course! To be fair, I don't categorize movies at all. I love cinema--whether it's girly or manly or whatever (though I stay away from almost anything done by John Woo or Michael Bay because I don't like their styles). I saw "Garden State" before I had a girlfriend. "The Illusionist", even though its a romance, is far from a girly movie. Yes, its essentially a love story, but its more of a mystery than anything. See it if you can!

Actually, my girlfriend and I watched "Failure To Launch" the other night and I was mildly entertained (mostly because of the supporting cast--Zooey Deschanel, Kathy Bates and Patton Oswalt). Before that, we watched "Training Day".

I'm big on variety.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 03:32 PM

tylerI LOVED Garden State, mostly cause my future wife plays the female lead. Not to get sidetracked any further, but I finally caught V and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation.

These are girl movies Maz....sisterhood of traveling pants is a girl movie. These are.....well they just arent girl movies ok?

Glad you checked out "V" and liked it Zool! :D

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
I liked "Garden State" also. I haven't seen these other movies. Not much time to do so. Whatever free time I have has been devoted to watching "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" rentals. Can't wait until "24" comes out. I'd also like to check out "Rescue Me" and "Deadwood" on DVD. I've heard good things about them. The other series that interests me is "The Sopranos". Well, I've veered off topic. I don't get to movies anymore, so I have to live vicariously through you folks.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
If you haven't caught Little Miss Sunshine I highly recommend it. Best role for Arkin since Slums of Beverly Hills.

Vivian: You dropped out of high school?
Eliot: It was an option. I wanted to join the workforce.
Vivian: What do you do?
Eliot: I sell pot.

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 04:21 PM
If you haven't caught Little Miss Sunshine I highly recommend it. Best role for Arkin since Slums of Beverly Hills.

Vivian: You dropped out of high school?
Eliot: It was an option. I wanted to join the workforce.
Vivian: What do you do?
Eliot: I sell pot.

I really want to see that. Heard great things about it. I really like Kinnear and Carrell.

tyler

BallHawk
09-15-2006, 04:26 PM
A real good comedy is "Curb your Enthusiasm" with Larry David. If you liked Seinfeld, you'll love this.

I don't watch a lot of the movies that come out nowadays, because most of them are trash. Occasionaly, you'll have a good movie that comes out, but movie companies are now more interested in throwing out trash movies that teens will spend their money on.

I'm a big, big fan of one of the greatest directors ever, Akira Kurosawa. His movies are so well thought and and greatly directed. Here are some of his epics.

Seven Samurai- Arguably, the best action move ever. The shots he used in this movie are still used today in Hollywood. The characters in this movie are excellent.

Rashamon- You can't explain how good it is. It is a look at how humans lie to protect their image. It is just brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Ikiru- It is one of those rare movies, that can actually change how you live your life. I admit I cried in it. The progression of the character is genius.

Throne of Blood- A movie about Shakespeare's "MacBeth." Since it isn't an original, it isn't as epic, but stil a very good movie.

High and Low- One of the best detective movies of all-time. The plot is incredible.

And those are just a few.

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
A real good comedy is "Curb your Enthusiasm" with Larry David. If you liked Seinfeld, you'll love this.

I don't watch a lot of the movies that come out nowadays, because most of them are trash. Occasionaly, you'll have a good movie that comes out, but movie companies are now more interested in throwing out trash movies that teens will spend their money on.

I'm a big, big fan of one of the greatest directors ever, Akira Kurosawa. His movies are so well thought and and greatly directed. Here are some of his epics.

Seven Samurai- Arguably, the best action move ever. The shots he used in this movie are still used today in Hollywood. The characters in this movie are excellent.

Rashamon- You can't explain how good it is. It is a look at how humans lie to protect their image. It is just brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Ikiru- It is one of those rare movies, that can actually change how you live your life. I admit I cried in it. The progression of the character is genius.

Throne of Blood- A movie about Shakespeare's "MacBeth." Since it isn't an original, it isn't as epic, but stil a very good movie.

High and Low- One of the best detective movies of all-time. The plot is incredible.

I purchased "Throne of Blood" a while back. Sadly, I had to pawn it a couple years ago so I could trek to Yellowstone. Whole 'nother story. I thought it was a very entertaining movie. Considering how many movies are based off of his movies and style, you've got to consider him one of the greats.

tyler

Partial
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I liked "Garden State" also. I haven't seen these other movies. Not much time to do so. Whatever free time I have has been devoted to watching "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" rentals. Can't wait until "24" comes out. I'd also like to check out "Rescue Me" and "Deadwood" on DVD. I've heard good things about them. The other series that interests me is "The Sopranos". Well, I've veered off topic. I don't get to movies anymore, so I have to live vicariously through you folks.

atta boy Bangers. Lost is amazing.

jack's smirking revenge
09-15-2006, 05:02 PM

atta boy Bangers. Lost is amazing.

I'm the exact opposite. As much as I'd love to watch T.V., I just don't have time for it. Movies work when I want them to (I don't have TIVO). I'll have to catch up on Lost and Grey's now that they're on DVD.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't watch much TV besides sports (when the wife isn't around; otherwise I'm surfing the web). When we rent something, it's usually a TV series. We'll devote a weekend to it, and then no more rentals for weeks.

BallHawk
09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I purchased "Throne of Blood" a while back. Sadly, I had to pawn it a couple years ago so I could trek to Yellowstone. Whole 'nother story. I thought it was a very entertaining movie. Considering how many movies are based off of his movies and style, you've got to consider him one of the greats.

tyler

Defintely. It is so interesting to watch his battle scenes. You have to remember this was the 1950s. He didn't have the special effects that all directors have today. It's interesting to watch the battle scenes in slow-motion. He works the camera so well.

the_idle_threat
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
I enjoyed "The Illusionist," although the ending seemed a bit TOO similar to another well-known movie. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with Jessica Biel's performance. I guess I was a tad disappointed she didn't get naked and do jumping jacks, but I can say that about any movie.

BallHawk
09-16-2006, 07:44 AM
I guess I was a tad disappointed she didn't get naked and do jumping jacks, but I can say that about any movie.

Even if it has Queen Latifah in it? :shock:

Iron Mike
09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I guess I was a tad disappointed she didn't get naked and do jumping jacks, but I can say that about any movie.

TMI!!! Badum-badum CHING!!! http://hallandoates.assassin.org/ikon/non-cgi/emoticons/drum.gif

Deputy Nutz
09-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Lucky Number Slyven was a pretty good flick. I thought they could have done a bit more with the creativity but in reality it was a better than the rest of the junk that is out there.

Does anyone have an update on the new Quentin Tarrentino and Robert Rodriguez movie? It is supposed to be really fucked up with a pause in the actual movie for a bunch of fake movie trailers and shit. I guess Tarentino is going to do like an hour in 25 minutes of the movie and Rodriguez is going to do the same, and in between your going to have these fucking comercials.

MadtownPacker
09-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I caught V also and thought it was cool but seemed a lil hurried. WOuld have liked some more background on V.

Lost is like some hardcore drug! Cant get enough of it. You caught up on season 2 HW?

BTW - Anything with Norton kicks ass and if you disagree I will make you bite the sidewalk like in American History X!!!! :shock:

superfan
09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Akira Kurosawa was also credited for the story in a pretty damn good movie called Last Man Standing starring Bruce Willis. Christopher Walken was also in that movie, which gives it instant cred.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Lucky Number Slyven was a pretty good flick. I thought they could have done a bit more with the creativity but in reality it was a better than the rest of the junk that is out there.

Does anyone have an update on the new Quentin Tarrentino and Robert Rodriguez movie? It is supposed to be really fucked up with a pause in the actual movie for a bunch of fake movie trailers and shit. I guess Tarentino is going to do like an hour in 25 minutes of the movie and Rodriguez is going to do the same, and in between your going to have these fucking comercials.

I second your review on "Lucky Number Slevin". Watched it this weekend. I actually thought the story was very creative, though I'm not going to give it away. There were pieces of it that I figured out and pieces of it that had me going "that was pretty f'in cool" at the end. Excellent movie. One of this year's best and most underrated with a great cast (Josh Hartnett, Lucy Liu, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis). Check it out!

Here's some info on "Grind House", the horror flick by Tarantino & Rodriguez. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/grindhouse/

tyler

woodbuck27
09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks tyler.

It's hard to ever see a decent Horror movie.

My Fav's ... Dracula (1958)

http://ferncanyonpress.com/vampires/images/chrislee.gif

The Christoper Lee as Count DRACULA and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing - version... scared the crap out of me...

I was a pre-teen when I saw it (and alone) as " a reward fr. my Mother for having a good Dentist's checkup ", :? Thanks Mom.

This was also quite well done, " the directed by
Francis Ford Coppola, version (1992):

http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~emiller/

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103874/

The second Horror/Thriller flic I preferred would have to be...

the Alfred Hitchcock Version of PSYCHO

starring, a young Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates and Janet Leigh as " the Guest - Shower Victim ".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054215/

No better scene in a Horror film than...

Yeeek ! Yeeeek !! Yeeeeek !!! :twisted: yet, well done.

http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2000/08/02/image221127x.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/30/entertainment/main556309.shtml

Voted Best Movie Death Scene:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/psycho%20shower%20scene%20voted%20best%20death

LaFours
09-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I just saw "The Black Dahlia" this weekend. It's one of those movies that i wouldn't tell someone they "had" to see but it was entertaining and it kept you guessing. My problem is that these days you're lucky to get in and out of a movie with a date for under 20 bucks. I squeaked by at $19 but geesh. Thats ridiculous. And I don't even live in a major city.

BallHawk
09-18-2006, 04:04 PM
A really good movie is "Inside Man" with Denzel Washington.

Just a very entertaining movie, with a plot that keeps giving you twists.

jack's smirking revenge
09-18-2006, 04:08 PM
A really good movie is "Inside Man" with Denzel Washington.

Just a very entertaining movie, with a plot that keeps giving you twists.

Agreed. Saw that a few weeks back. Denzel is a great actor, but I'm continually amazed by how solid Clive Owen is. Jodie Foster was also very good in the movie. And, you're right, lots of twists and turns. I didn't see that ending coming at all.

tyler

the_idle_threat
09-19-2006, 12:29 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey now ... Queen Latifah is a Big Beautiful Woman ... :mrgreen:

mmmdk
09-19-2006, 01:22 PM

Wow, you have great taste in movies - we must talk some time.

Iron Mike
09-24-2006, 01:07 AM
I just saw "The Black Dahlia" this weekend. It's one of those movies that i wouldn't tell someone they "had" to see but it was entertaining and it kept you guessing. My problem is that these days you're lucky to get in and out of a movie with a date for under 20 bucks. I squeaked by at $19 but geesh. Thats ridiculous. And I don't even live in a major city.

I saw that movie too........I have to say for a movie ostensibly based upon the Black Dahlia, there wasn't much plot that focused on the Black Dahlia. :mad:

My suggestion is that if you wish to view a good murder mystery, go rent "Brick."

Tyrone Bigguns
09-24-2006, 04:13 AM

I saw that movie too........I have to say for a movie ostensibly based upon the Black Dahlia, there wasn't much plot that focused on the Black Dahlia. :mad:

My suggestion is that if you wish to view a good murder mystery, go rent "Brick."

I second that. Brick was very good.

High recommendations for Half Nelson. Another great performance from Ryan Gosling, and the young black girl (don't know her name) was tremendous. Best young performance in an urban movie since Fresh.

Iron Mike
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM

http://crazyjaneski.typepad.com/crazy_jane/images/brick_20043.jpg

Brendan Frye: Pin?
The Brain: Pin. The Pin?
Brendan Frye: The Pin, yeah?
The Brain: The Pin is kinda a local spook story, yeah know the King Pin.
Brendan Frye: Yeah, I've heard it.
The Brain: Same thing, he's supposed to be old, like 26. Lives in town.
Brendan Frye: Dope runner, right?
The Brain: Big time. See the Pin pipes it from the lowest scraper for Brad Bramish to sell, maybe. Ask any dope rat where their junk sprang and they'll say they scraped it from that, who scored it from this, who bought it off so, and after four or five connections the list always ends with The Pin. But I bet you, if you got every rat in town together and said "Show your hands" if any of them've actually seen The Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets.

BallHawk
09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Wow, you have great taste in movies - we must talk some time.

Kurosawa fan or Larry David fan?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-26-2006, 01:05 AM

http://crazyjaneski.typepad.com/crazy_jane/images/brick_20043.jpg

Brendan Frye: Pin?
The Brain: Pin. The Pin?
Brendan Frye: The Pin, yeah?
The Brain: The Pin is kinda a local spook story, yeah know the King Pin.
Brendan Frye: Yeah, I've heard it.
The Brain: Same thing, he's supposed to be old, like 26. Lives in town.
Brendan Frye: Dope runner, right?
The Brain: Big time. See the Pin pipes it from the lowest scraper for Brad Bramish to sell, maybe. Ask any dope rat where their junk sprang and they'll say they scraped it from that, who scored it from this, who bought it off so, and after four or five connections the list always ends with The Pin. But I bet you, if you got every rat in town together and said "Show your hands" if any of them've actually seen The Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets.

I enjoyed it, yet i did find the dialogue a bit stilted at times. A bit to clever/trying for my taste (and, I was english/creative writing major undergrad). I also generally have a problem when dialogue is way above the level of what normal teens would speak. Had the same issue with Dawson's creek.

I never felt it approached the level of a classic noir nor the fully realized world of, lets say, the Coen brothers in Miller's Crossing.

"I'm sick-of takin' the strap from you, Leo. I'm sick a marchin' down to this goddamn office to kiss your Irish ass and I'M SICK A THE HIGH HAT!"