PDA

View Full Version : NFL Free Agency/Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 12:53 PM
Seattle had agreed to trade Russell Wilson to Denver. Wilson has to agree to trade and pass physical.

Drew Lock to Seattle is part of the deal.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 01:20 PM
Chargers are signing WR Mike Williams to a 3 year $60 Million contract. Williams had 1146 receiving yards and 9 TD's.

Davante Adams doing backflips.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Seahawks Receive:

1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
5th Round Pick
Drew Lock
Shelby Harris
Noah Fant

Broncos Receive:

Russell Wilson
4th Round Pick

Teamcheez1
03-08-2022, 02:12 PM
If the same deal was offered for Rodgers we should have jumped on it.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2022, 02:32 PM

No shit...

Tony Oday
03-08-2022, 02:57 PM

HELL NO.

Fritz
03-08-2022, 02:57 PM
I agrtee as well. I'd like to see that team with those draft picks next year. The QB play wouldn't be great, but what a defense and running game.

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2022, 03:27 PM
Watch and see - who has the better team, Denver or Seattle, for the next 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, maybe 6, 8, 10 years. I'm betting on Denver as long as Wilson is the QB. It seems pretty clear that Denver pulled the trigger on this deal when it became obvious to them that they weren't getting Aaron Rodgers. Wilson ain't Rodgers, but he is damn good and like Rodgers (and unlike many other top QBs), he has proven ability to carry a team.

Conclusion: thank goodness we Packer fans did not lose our superstar like Seattle did.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 03:42 PM

I doubt it was. Wilson is 5 years younger then Rodgers.

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 07:04 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals used their franchise tag on Jessie Bates. The tag for safeties is $12.911 million.

The Cleveland Browns used their franchise tag on David Njoku. The tag for tight ends is $10.931 million.

The Dallas Cowboys used their franchise tag on Dalton Schultz. The tag for tight ends is $10.931 million.

The Green Bay Packers used their franchise tag on Davante Adams. The tag for Adams is around $20.415 million.

The Jacksonville Jaguars used their franchise tag on Cam Robinson for a second straight season. The tag for offensive linemen is $16.662 million.

The Kansas City Chiefs used their franchise tag on Orlando Brown. The tag for offensive linemen is $16.662 million.

The Miami Dolphins used their franchise tag on Mike Gesicki. The tag for tight ends is $10.931 million.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers used their franchise tag on Chris Godwin. The tag for Godwin is around $19.179 million.

The Tennessee Titans did not use their franchise tag on pass rusher Harold Landry.

The New England Patriots did not use their franchise tag on cornerback J.C. Jackson.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 08:41 PM
Robert Wagner free agent, try to get him to a ring chaser deal

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2022, 08:42 PM
I doubt it was. Wilson is 5 years younger then Rodgers.

Overrated deal. Are any of those players good? I know Fant was a nice prospect a few years back out of Iowa. It

Bretsky
03-08-2022, 09:26 PM
Overrated deal. Are any of those players good? I know Fant was a nice prospect a few years back out of Iowa. It

I'd love to have Fant; pretty dam good talent at TE

The DL they got has a team friendly contract and he's ok

I'm guessing they had to take the QB as part of the deal

bobblehead
03-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Free Agency thread. We lose Z, Douglas, Campbell, MVS, Crosby, and Tonyan.

We sign one guy who we all hope can start.

Lesser likely losses would be Patrick, Sullivan, and Lancaster.

Anyone else we lose its likely time to move on anyway. Even those 3 may not hurt.

Now you might look at any of those guys and think "well, we can find a replacement" but not all of them. You can't just replace that many guys effectively.

Also, the finagling to get under the cap will likely handicap us vs. the league anywhere from 20-40 million in upcoming seasons....just as last years moves will likely leave us with 15+ million in dead cap money this season.

Bretsky
03-08-2022, 10:19 PM

Anyone else we lose its likely time to move on anyway. Even those 3 may not hurt.

Now you might look at any of those guys and think "well, we can find a replacement" but not all of them. You can't just replace that many guys effectively.

Also, the finagling to get under the cap will likely handicap us vs. the league anywhere from 20-40 million in upcoming seasons....just as last years moves will likely leave us with 15+ million in dead cap money this season.

I could see Crosby singing for less with GB as well as Tonyan signing for a cheap one yr deal due to injury

A site predicted MVS will get about 8 mil/yr which GB can't come close to affording
Campbell and Douglas probably can't be afforded anymore and Z will have to be set free so we can get close to the cap.

We won't be as strong next year come playoff time. But if we get a few great games from our QB we could still win the Super Bowl

Kinda sad this year seemed like such a wasted oportunity

Joemailman
03-08-2022, 10:28 PM
Seahawks release Bobby Wagner. Wagner had 170 total tackles, which was 3rd in the NFL, although TFL's were down to 3. He had 5 passes defensed, so he apparently can still cover.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2022, 12:01 AM

No no no. Of the names you mentioned in the first line, Z. Smith and Crosby will be the only ones not retained. Z is an injury waiting to happen, and Crosby would be addition by subtraction. Make him an assistant coach and keep him handy in case of emergency.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2022, 08:32 AM
Very doubtful that we can retain MVS, Campbell, Douglas, and Tonyan. I’m glad to see Campbell is the top priority. We may be able to get Tonyan back on a one year prove it deal.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 08:46 AM
Very doubtful that we can retain MVS, Campbell, Douglas, and Tonyan. I’m glad to see Campbell is the top priority. We may be able to get Tonyan back on a one year prove it deal.

Douglas looks like a luxury they can't afford. Gute should go to Rodgers and say "You can have Cobb, or you can have MVS. Not both."

Bretsky
03-09-2022, 09:00 AM
Douglas looks like a luxury they can't afford. Gute should go to Rodgers and say "You can have Cobb, or you can have MVS. Not both."

Does Cobb really help anything ? Talent wise, did he add anything last year we can't find with a practice squad player like Winfree or a mid round draft pick ?

Fritz
03-09-2022, 09:10 AM
Harv, I agree that Campbell should be a priority. The very few times they draft at that position, it doesn't work out too well. I think it'd be easier to draft a corner to develop for Douglas than draft someone to replace Campbell.

But where did you read that Campbell is a priority? I'd like to see that, as I would be relieved were it so.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2022, 09:19 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they can easily add the same player as MVS this year in the draft for pennies on the dollar. Draft a DL, then a couple of receivers then go make it happen with Big Bobby Wagner and win a chip.

SudsMcBucky
03-09-2022, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they can easily add the same player as MVS this year in the draft for pennies on the dollar. Draft a DL, then a couple of receivers then go make it happen with Big Bobby Wagner and win a chip.

The problem is that in drafting a WR this year it's a foregone conclusion that AR will be long gone from GB by the time he finally feels comfortable throwing to him.

ThunderDan
03-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Harv, I agree that Campbell should be a priority. The very few times they draft at that position, it doesn't work out too well. I think it'd be easier to draft a corner to develop for Douglas than draft someone to replace Campbell.

But where did you read that Campbell is a priority? I'd like to see that, as I would be relieved were it so.

We don't have any cap space to sign Campbell. We are still working to get under the cap for this year. Then we still need to clear enough cap space to sign our draft picks. Then we will see if there are any dollars left to pay free agents. I am guessing the free agency period is going to be very quiet for the Packers.

And as an extra, if someone gets hurt in the middle of the year and we decide to go out a sign a free agent to fill the hole, we are going to have to free up additional cap space to do that if we are tight against the cap once the season starts.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2022, 11:56 AM
We don't have any cap space to sign Campbell. We are still working to get under the cap for this year. Then we still need to clear enough cap space to sign our draft picks. Then we will see if there are any dollars left to pay free agents. I am guessing the free agency period is going to be very quiet for the Packers.

And as an extra, if someone gets hurt in the middle of the year and we decide to go out a sign a free agent to fill the hole, we are going to have to free up additional cap space to do that if we are tight against the cap once the season starts.

Plenty of room to sign Campbell, if he's the top priority. This has been rehashed a lot.

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2022, 12:14 PM

I don't remember if I read it somewhere or heard it on a Packers podcast, but it appears that the Packers are working to sign Jaire to a contract extension and that their top priority among their FAs is Campbell.

Fritz
03-09-2022, 12:22 PM
I don't remember if I read it somewhere or heard it on a Packers podcast, but it appears that the Packers are working to sign Jaire to a contract extension and that their top priority among their FAs is Campbell.

I like both of those as priorities. I wish they'd keep Prestone, too, but that might be wishful thinking. I don't know enough about the cap to know if it's really possible or not.

I hope Gutekunst has a great draft this year; they're going to need rookies to play well from the get-go in order to replace some of the losses they'll suffer.

But maybe they can make up for some of that with better special teams play.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 12:36 PM
I like both of those as priorities. I wish they'd keep Prestone, too, but that might be wishful thinking. I don't know enough about the cap to know if it's really possible or not.

I hope Gutekunst has a great draft this year; they're going to need rookies to play well from the get-go in order to replace some of the losses they'll suffer.

But maybe they can make up for some of that with better special teams play.

I think Preston will be back if they can agree to an extension. It will have to happen soon as he is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 18. If no extension, he will be cut as his cap hit would be almost $20 million.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 12:53 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Colts are trading QB Carson Wentz to Washington for a package of packs that is thought to include two third-round picks, sources tell ESPN.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2022, 12:59 PM
Why would Washington give up anything for Wentz when the Colts have all but said they're done with him? Silly.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 03:32 PM
Another possible option for Packers if they can't sign Campbell?

Arizona announced that the team has released linebacker Jordan Hicks after three years with the franchise.

Hicks was set to count $9.5 million against the cap. His release will give the Cardinals $6.5 million in cap space while costing the club $3 million in dead cap money.

Hicks had requested a trade last offseason following the draft, once Arizona had brought in Zaven Collins. But Hicks remained with the club and started all 17 games, playing 97 percent of the team’s defensive reps. He recorded 116 total tackles with seven tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, five passes defensed, and a pair of fumble recoveries.

Bretsky
03-09-2022, 04:24 PM

I think JS online wrote that Gute had Campbell as a priority FA signing

Sparkey
03-09-2022, 06:39 PM
Packers have to be under the cap by 3pm March 16th....

Fritz
03-10-2022, 10:15 AM
Good article in ACME about how the Packers can get under by cutting-renegotiating a bunch of contracts, and that's without the re-do on Rodgers's deal or with an Adams deal.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2022/2022/3/9/22969610/how-much-cap-space-can-the-packers-still-clear-in-2022-with-releases-and-restructures

Joemailman
03-10-2022, 12:35 PM
The Washington Commanders are expected to released veteran safety Landon Collins, creating more salary-cap space but costing them a valuable defender, a source told ESPN on Thursday.

Collins, who had three years left on his contract, was scheduled to count $16.2 million against the salary cap this season. His release will save Washington $6.6 million against the cap, but he will still count $9.6 million in dead money. According to a source, Washington had tried to work out a deal to lower his cap number.

Joemailman
03-10-2022, 04:21 PM
Bears sending Khalil Mack to Chargers for 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 6th round pick

Upnorth
03-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Bears sending Khalil Mack to Chargers for 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 6th round pick

This makes me very very happy!

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2022, 09:10 PM
Good article in ACME about how the Packers can get under by cutting-renegotiating a bunch of contracts, and that's without the re-do on Rodgers's deal or with an Adams deal.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2022/2022/3/9/22969610/how-much-cap-space-can-the-packers-still-clear-in-2022-with-releases-and-restructures

Good Article - basically what I've been saying all along

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2022, 09:38 PM
Am I the only one thinking the Bears got a good deal on Kahlil Mack they were just a bad team. The bad deal was the trade from #3 to #2 to select a dud. That is what screwed them.

Joemailman
03-10-2022, 10:50 PM
Am I the only one thinking the Bears got a good deal on Kahlil Mack they were just a bad team. The bad deal was the trade from #3 to #2 to select a dud. That is what screwed them.

No. They traded 2 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick for Mack and a 2nd round pick. AND they then had to pay Mack a ton of money. To get an outstanding player, you either want to draft him so he's relatively inexpensive the 1st 4 years, or you want to sign a free agent so you're not giving up any high draft picks. Contrast the Mack trade with the Packers who signed Z Smith as a free agent and drafted Gary. Z cost them no draft picks and Gary is relatively expensive.

In my opinion, you should only give up high draft picks for a high priced player if that player is an outstanding QB.

run pMc
03-11-2022, 08:11 AM
No. They traded 2 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick for Mack and a 2nd round pick. AND they then had to pay Mack a ton of money. To get an outstanding player, you either want to draft him so he's relatively inexpensive the 1st 4 years, or you want to sign a free agent so you're not giving up any high draft picks. Contrast the Mack trade with the Packers who signed Z Smith as a free agent and drafted Gary. Z cost them no draft picks and Gary is relatively expensive.

In my opinion, you should only give up high draft picks for a high priced player if that player is an outstanding QB.

Agree with this. Trading a lot of draft capital for the honor of signing that player to a large contract is rarely if ever wise. You benefit the most from players who outplay what they cost. Z was getting DPOY candidate talk for a while, and Gary played well over his last 1.5 seasons. QBs are an exception to a lot of rules.

As for Mack, I thought the Bears gave up a lot to get him, but the Raiders did little with the picks and Mack played lights out his first year with the Bears. He was hurt last year and you wonder how much a 31 year old OLB has left. (CM3's last year in GB was his age 32 year.) I think the Chargers get a good player on a bad contract, and the Bears lost a good player for a lot of cap space. Interesting that Eberflus signed off on the deal for CHI, makes me think they are in full rebuild mode and might let some other vets go (Allen Robinson, Travethan, Hicks, etc). They have cap space to be players in the FA market now.

Joemailman
03-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Bears releasing NT Eddie Goldman. He's been hurt quite a bit the last 2 years. Bears will gain about 6.6 million in cap space. Bears will now have about 43 million in cap space.

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2022, 03:33 PM

I agree it wasn't an AMAZING deal and maybe good is a stretch when you put it this way, but it wasn't a train wreck. Mack was a very good player for them, the team just sucked.

Joemailman
03-11-2022, 04:45 PM
Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

Massive news in the broadcasting world: Joe Buck is expected to leave FOX to become the new voice of ESPN's Monday Night Football alongside Troy Aikman, per
@AndrewMarchand

I knew nothing could keep them apart.

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2022, 11:50 PM
Honestly though, how weird would it be to have them separate? Buying one without the other would just be a bad deal IMO. They're a pair. You get 'em both.

red
03-12-2022, 09:08 AM
I knew nothing could keep them apart.

who the fuck in this world thinks they are any good?

i don't know anyone who likes those two

they need to be fired and off my TV completely, not promoted to the top show

RashanGary
03-12-2022, 09:56 AM
who the fuck in this world thinks they are any good?

i don't know anyone who likes those two

they need to be fired and off my TV completely, not promoted to the top show

Sunday night football is the top show now. The second games on Sunday are probably next. Maybe Thursday after that. And then Monday. Monday night went down hill.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2022, 10:47 AM

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/12/all-pro-lb-devondre-campbell-is-packers-priority-in-free-agency/

run pMc
03-12-2022, 11:09 AM
ESPN's MNF coverage was garbage last year with Riddick and Griese talking over each other. Every now and then they'd say something interesting, but it was pretty hard to listen to.
I can't stand Buck/Aikman but they would be an improvement for most fans.

I'd rather listen to the Westwood One radio coverage.

RashanGary
03-12-2022, 11:31 AM
ESPN's MNF coverage was garbage last year with Riddick and Griese talking over each other. Every now and then they'd say something interesting, but it was pretty hard to listen to.
I can't stand Buck/Aikman but they would be an improvement for most fans.

I'd rather listen to the Westwood One radio coverage.

Yep. Monday night football has been the worst for a number of years now. So bad that it was hard to watch.

Joemailman
03-12-2022, 11:50 AM
I agree that Buck/Aikman will be an improvement over what ESPN has been throwing out there for years. They're at least pros who know how to call a game. I wonder who will be the top Fox duo. I thought their best last year was Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen. But they also have Gus Johnson and Aqib Talib. Johnson is better known than Burkhardt.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Romo and Olsen are my current favorites.

NewsBruin
03-12-2022, 03:15 PM
I see the crop of WR musical chairs, and as soon as my eyes see "playing in the last year of his contract for $16M / $20M," I'm all nopenopenope.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2022, 03:50 PM
I seldom watch a game that ain't the Packers or Cowboys or doesn't have a direct effect on the Packers. I just tune to Redzone on Sundays and something other than football for the evening games if it ain't my first or second favorite team. I agree MNF hasn't been much for years. It kinda appears that ESPN is trying to compete with the Mannings (who I have literally never watched). I also agree with all of those not liking Aikman and Buck. It seems like ESPN is a little bit misguided to be (presumably) paying them a ton of money.

Bretsky
03-12-2022, 05:07 PM
AMARI COOPER traded from DALLS to the BROWNIES for next to nothing. I think a 5th and a swap of 6ths.

Not many interested since nobody wanted Cooper's contract. Rumors were he was likely to get released.

red
03-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Romo and Olsen are my current favorites.

olsen quickly became my favorite this year. no nonsense and he knows his shit. knows when to talk and when to keep his mouth shout so the broadcast isn't just all about him

romo started good, but everytime i watched him this year it seemed like someone told him to add just a little bit of bradshaw obnoxiousness to his schtick, and he ran with it

Fritz
03-13-2022, 09:18 AM
olsen quickly became my favorite this year. no nonsense and he knows his shit. knows when to talk and when to keep his mouth shout so the broadcast isn't just all about him

romo started good, but everytime i watched him this year it seemed like someone told him to add just a little bit of bradshaw obnoxiousness to his schtick, and he ran with it

Agree that Romo has regressed to saying obvious things. The whole point is for the color guy to bring some insight, either to the game and how it's played or to the players' mindsets. But Romo fell off that wagon.

run pMc
03-13-2022, 11:52 AM
AMARI COOPER traded from DALLS to the BROWNIES for next to nothing. I think a 5th and a swap of 6ths.

Not many interested since nobody wanted Cooper's contract. Rumors were he was likely to get released.

Yeah, 3 years, $60M remaining on that contract is a bit rich for him but not horrible. By many basic stats he's a top 10 WR, and CLE needs WR help. Good move by them if they have the cap space - plus there's apparently no dead cap money left on the contract (it's all base salary) so they could play funny money games or just cut him with no penalty if he flames out. Dallas has Lamb and looks to want to keep Gallup (and probably Cedric Wilson) so by that logic Cooper and his contract are understandably out.

Meanwhile, Spotrac says in 2022, Zeke Elliott will earn a base salary of $12,400,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,220,000 and a dead cap value of $30,080,000.

Teams with players that outplay their contracts (i.e., provide surplus value) generally do well in the standings and the cap space. Signing a RB to what Dallas did is borderline insanity -- Zeke is good, but he's not that good.

Bretsky
03-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Yeah, 3 years, $60M remaining on that contract is a bit rich for him but not horrible. By many basic stats he's a top 10 WR, and CLE needs WR help. Good move by them if they have the cap space - plus there's apparently no dead cap money left on the contract (it's all base salary) so they could play funny money games or just cut him with no penalty if he flames out. Dallas has Lamb and looks to want to keep Gallup (and probably Cedric Wilson) so by that logic Cooper and his contract are understandably out.

Meanwhile, Spotrac says in 2022, Zeke Elliott will earn a base salary of $12,400,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,220,000 and a dead cap value of $30,080,000.

Teams with players that outplay their contracts (i.e., provide surplus value) generally do well in the standings and the cap space. Signing a RB to what Dallas did is borderline insanity -- Zeke is good, but he's not that good.

Cooper is good, but to me nowhere near top 10. Good or bad I've had him on too many FF teams the past couple years; I think he's lost something/a step/the edge. I'd put him top 20ish but not top 10. And again, and it appears decreasing skills

Joemailman
03-13-2022, 07:38 PM
Brady is back and Cousins gets a 1 year extension.

Tom Brady

These past two months I’ve realized my place is still on the field and not in the stands. That time will come. But it’s not now. I love my teammates, and I love my supportive family. They make it all possible. I’m coming back for my 23rd season in Tampa. Unfinished business LFG

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Vikings gave Cousins a fully guaranteed $35 million extension. The quarterback will make $40 million this season and $30 million in 2023. The deal has two voidable years in it to lower his cap number this year to $31.25 million. Also, $50 million of the deal will be paid by this time next year.

SudsMcBucky
03-14-2022, 08:12 AM
Unless the game involves the Packers, if you're watching MNF, you should be watching the Manningcast anyway instead of ANY of these other goofballs they've been throwing out there.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 08:21 AM
NFL Legal Tampering Period starts at 11:00.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Tom Brady’s loss will be Joe Burrow’s gain: Bucs’ free-agent guard Alex Cappa intends to sign a four-year, $40 million deal with the Bengals after free agency opens, per league sources.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Steelers have reached agreement on a two-year deal with QB Mitchell Trubisky, sources say. The former No. 2 overall pick heads to Pittsburgh as the expected starter in place of the retired Ben Roethlisberger.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Bears are expected to sign #Bengals DT Larry Ogunjobi, source said. A huge piece in the middle.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2022, 12:23 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

The #Steelers have reached agreement on a two-year deal with QB Mitchell Trubisky, sources say. The former No. 2 overall pick heads to Pittsburgh as the expected starter in place of the retired Ben Roethlisberger.

A smart deal for the Steelers. I've always said Trubisky isn't near as bad as a lot of people think. I'm predicting he goes on to a nice career with Pittsburgh.

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 12:51 PM
Washington G Brandon Scherf signing with Jags. He's been selected to 5 Pro Bowls but has missed a lot of games in recent years.

Freak Out
03-14-2022, 03:19 PM
A smart deal for the Steelers. I've always said Trubisky isn't near as bad as a lot of people think. I'm predicting he goes on to a nice career with Pittsburgh.

What? he had a bunch of talent in CHI and still sucked. Maybe better coaching can change that.

Sparkey
03-14-2022, 03:30 PM
Packers sign Preston Smith to a 4 year extension 52.5 million new money
Packers release Za'Darius Smith
Packers release Billy Turner
Packers sign Devondre Campbell to 5 year 50.1 million contract

Bretsky
03-14-2022, 04:50 PM
What? he had a bunch of talent in CHI and still sucked. Maybe better coaching can change that.

The offensive sides of coaching forf the Bears was an absolute WRECK. I continue to really hate that they have a QB who needs coaching and they poached Getsy from us

Bretsky
03-14-2022, 05:17 PM
GEEZ Christian Kirk signs 4 yr 84MIL

21MIL/YR for Kirk

Joemailman
03-14-2022, 05:27 PM
GEEZ Christian Kirk signs 4 yr 84MIL

21MIL/YR for Kirk

Kirk has never had a 1000 yard season. Jaguars are the early leader in spending stupid money.

call_me_ishmael
03-14-2022, 11:05 PM
Meanwhile good orgs continue to sign players to reasonable deals. Packers sign Campbell at a reasonable price - he for sure could have gotten more. Dallas resigned their DL who is a good player for a fair price too.

Joemailman
03-16-2022, 03:09 PM
Dianna Russini
@diannaESPN

The Titans are planning on releasing WR Julio Jones, sources tell
@AdamSchefter
and me

Let the Packer hype begin.

bobblehead
03-16-2022, 03:17 PM
Let the Packer hype begin.

Yes, cuz we believe he can do at 33 what he couldn't do at 32!!!

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Allen Robinson to Rams. 3 years, 46.5M

NewsBruin
03-17-2022, 06:41 PM
ESB signs with the Bears. Thank goodness we tagged Dav.... We still have Cobb.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:11 PM
Allen Robinson to Rams. 3 years, 46.5M

OMG this is a deal too compared to Adams. Why’d we not do this?

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 09:17 PM
Colts are gonna end up with Matt Ryan and tear the league up this year, aren’t they?

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Bears are expected to sign #Bengals DT Larry Ogunjobi, source said. A huge piece in the middle.Bears not signing Ogunjobi due to failed physical. At least not now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOJKl_rXIAkJycr?format=jpg&name=medium

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 03:10 PM
DeShaun Watson going to Browns.

NewsBruin
03-18-2022, 03:15 PM
This offseason, I have been rooting for Chaos, and I have not been disappointed.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 03:21 PM
This offseason, I have been rooting for Chaos, and I have not been disappointed.

It's amazing the NFL can generate this much news 6 months before the next season.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 03:40 PM
Houston gets 3 1st round picks and a 3rd for Watson.

King Friday
03-18-2022, 04:03 PM
Herschel Walker trade may no longer be the worst in NFL history. Cleveland might want to start hiring adults to run the team as well as play QB.

call_me_ishmael
03-18-2022, 04:13 PM
That's a big trade, wow. Fully guaranteed contract over 5 years, wow! Bold swing but I think they think they have the team to win a super bowl. We'll see if it works.

Matty Ryan probably still going to end up a Colt. I am kinda surprised the Browns didn't send back Mayfield. Isn't Mayfield from Texas?

NewsBruin
03-18-2022, 04:14 PM
I hope they offer Baker Mayfield a per-game contract to cover any weeks missed if Deshaun gets put on commissioner's suspension.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 04:21 PM
JuJu Smith-Schuster signing with Chiefs. 1 year, 10.75M.

Bretsky
03-18-2022, 04:28 PM
JuJu Smith-Schuster signing with Chiefs. 1 year, 10.75M.

DANG; thought he might fit but 11 MIL/Yr ?

Jarvis Landry I think is a pretty good route runner. I'd take him and a couple high DP's

King Friday
03-18-2022, 04:38 PM
DANG; thought he might fit but 11 MIL/Yr ?

Jarvis Landry I think is a pretty good route runner. I'd take him and a couple high DP's

No thanks on Landry. He's starting to break down more and more. We already have one of those guys on the roster in Cobb.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 05:12 PM
No thanks on Landry. He's starting to break down more and more. We already have one of those guys on the roster in Cobb.

I’m not a huge fan, but saying he’s breaking down is an overreaction. Last year was the first year he’s missed significant time. He missed 1 game in his career before that. Could have just been a one off, injury prone year.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 06:53 PM

What were your thoughts on adams then???

red
03-18-2022, 07:32 PM
we're not signing anything in free agency capable of being a #1

and i doubt the draft will bring us a #1 in his first year

expect us to send at least 1 if not both of those new draft picks to someone for a true #1

or else next year is really gonna be rough

King Friday
03-18-2022, 08:23 PM
What were your thoughts on adams then???

When has Adams broke down? He's a hell of a lot bigger than Cobb or Landry as well. Adams can easily stay a #1 WR for at least 3 more years. Landry and Cobb aren't #1s anymore.

Teamcheez1
03-18-2022, 08:42 PM
I would rather we not bundle and trade up any of the first 4 picks. We have opportunity to add 4 really good players in areas of need instead of 1 or 2. No reason to trade up.

red
03-18-2022, 09:27 PM
is watsons new deal the first fully guaranteed contract in the NFL

you know, other then a 1 or 2 year deal

that would be big stuff and would mean no funny money bullshit

hopefully for the players that doesn't become the exception

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 09:46 PM
Wasn’t Kirk Cousins contract fully guaranteed a couple of years ago?

red
03-18-2022, 10:11 PM

yeah, looking at the cap sites, i think you're right

how in the hell does a guy that mediocre make so much money? he's gotta be the poster boy for why a guy should want to be franchise tagged. him and larry fitz made a ton of money because teams couldn't commit to multi year deals

red
03-18-2022, 10:16 PM

according to this article

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/16/kirk-cousins-michael-jordan-contract-negotiations/

cousins was the first to do it. the article also calls him the michael jordan of contracts lol

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 10:43 PM
we're not signing anything in free agency capable of being a #1

and i doubt the draft will bring us a #1 in his first year

expect us to send at least 1 if not both of those new draft picks to someone for a true #1

or else next year is really gonna be rough

No. Draft Olave or London and trust that they will develop into a go-to guy as the season goes on. Sign MVS and draft another WR later. MLF and Rodgers can figure put how utilize multiple weapons without having a #1 stud. The offense will look nothing like last year, but can still be effective.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 10:58 PM
When has Adams broke down? He's a hell of a lot bigger than Cobb or Landry as well. Adams can easily stay a #1 WR for at least 3 more years. Landry and Cobb aren't #1s anymore.

He has missed between 1 and 4 games the last 5 seasons.

Landry missed 5 last year and 2 in 2020.

Bretsky
03-18-2022, 11:20 PM
No. Draft Olave or London and trust that they will develop into a go-to guy as the season goes on. Sign MVS and draft another WR later. MLF and Rodgers can figure put how utilize multiple weapons without having a #1 stud. The offense will look nothing like last year, but can still be effective.

Also like some Treylon Burks

Give me one of those AND the Bama WR and we're set for a long time :)))

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 12:04 AM
Also like some Treylon Burks

Give me one of those AND the Bama WR and we're set for a long time :)))

No way we take 2 WRs in the 1st round.

Bretsky
03-19-2022, 12:24 AM

I know I know; but I'm consistent :) I never thought we had a number 2 quality WR which is why I really liked taking a WR high the past several drafts.

Now we lost our 1 quality starter, so of course I'm going to dream of taking 2 high :)

Bretsky
03-19-2022, 12:25 AM

Have you broken out WR's yet ? Curious how you rank the top 5 and where you'd set the tier at.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 12:54 AM
There are 11-12 guys that I really like in the draft. I'm kind of waiting to see how London runs at his Pro Bowl. I suspect he'll test better than expected for a big WR. I think if he runs better than 4.55 (ala Mike Evans), he'll be my #1. Right now, I have them ranked

1 Drake London
2 Treylon Burks
3a Chris Olave (I don't know how to rank these guys, Olave looked smooth at the combine; Wilson not so much, but most have Wilson higher)
3b Garrett Wilson
5 Jameson Williams (primarily because he tore his ACL late in the college season)
6 Jahan Dotson
7 Christian Watson
8 George Pickens
9 Alec Pierce
10 Skyy Moore
11 Jalen Tolbert
12 Calvin Austin

I see the first 5 as solid 1st rounders, the next 3 as early 2nd rounders who could sneak into the 1st round, Pierce and Moore as 2nd rounders, and Tolbert and Austin as late 2nd/early 3rd rounders.
Metchie tore his ACL late in the year and Ross tested very poorly at his Pro Day, so I'm not sure he's over his injuries.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 03:40 AM
Some have compared Watson to MVS, but Watson is an even better athlete than MVS. He runs better routes and has better hands--although I wouldn't call his hands good. He's a bit of a clapper. He has average to solid hands--which is an improvement on MVS.

Watson = 6'4" 208 with 4.36 40, 1.45yd split, 38 1/2" vertical, 136" broad jump (he's at 10 on the RAS scale, but hasn't run his shuttle or 3-cone)
MVS = 6'4" 206 with 4.37 40, 1.55 10yd split, 30 1/2" vertical, 124" broad jump

MVS was really raw coming out. Watson showed at the Senior Bowl that his route running is a bit more advanced, and he has more bend running his routes (which a lot of taller WRs have problems with) than MVS. MVS was more of a vertical route runner--although he's improved in the pros. Watson doesn't have great ball skills, but he has shown on tape that he can win 50/50 balls--whereas MVS seldom wins on 50/50 balls.

Fritz
03-19-2022, 07:47 AM
Harv, where would you say Pickens will go? I'd like to see him in a Packer uniform - he can certainly block, and he looks awfully strong. I suppose it will depend on how the draft is going to know where the Packers will take a WR. If there's a run early they may go at #22 or even move up, or if not maybe they'll sit tight or wait until #28. I suppose they could even wait until that second rounder, though that will drive people crazy here!

On the Deshaun Watson topic, that seems another in a long historical line of stupid Cleveland Browns moves. Just off the top of my head, Baker Mayfield did not pay off, and there was that ND kid they traded up to draft (Ted passed on trading down and took Justin Harrell, I think - ugh) who never panned out at QB. Now they've given up the farm for a felon who has committed the same crime over and over and over. I just don't think he's going to come back, keep his nose clean, and be the QB he was. And frankly, he could be inconsistent. I'd take a 35 year old Russell Wilson over him any day. And like I said, he's a bad guy - not just an asshole, but someone with a track record of assualt. Maybe they looked to their rival to the east and figured, well, if the Steelers can have a sexual assaulter at QB for years, and get away with it, so can we.

Joemailman
03-19-2022, 05:14 PM
The Rams and Matthew Stafford have reached agreement on a four-year, $160 million extension that includes $135 million guaranteed and should allow the veteran quarterback to finish his career in Los Angeles, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

bobblehead
03-19-2022, 05:19 PM
Some have compared Watson to MVS, but Watson is an even better athlete than MVS. He runs better routes and has better hands--although I wouldn't call his hands good. He's a bit of a clapper. He has average to solid hands--which is an improvement on MVS.

Watson = 6'4" 208 with 4.36 40, 1.45yd split, 38 1/2" vertical, 136" broad jump (he's at 10 on the RAS scale, but hasn't run his shuttle or 3-cone)
MVS = 6'4" 206 with 4.37 40, 1.55 10yd split, 30 1/2" vertical, 124" broad jump

MVS was really raw coming out. Watson showed at the Senior Bowl that his route running is a bit more advanced, and he has more bend running his routes (which a lot of taller WRs have problems with) than MVS. MVS was more of a vertical route runner--although he's improved in the pros. Watson doesn't have great ball skills, but he has shown on tape that he can win 50/50 balls--whereas MVS seldom wins on 50/50 balls.

Really nice breakdown Harv. I think Watson has been shooting up boards after his showing.

bobblehead
03-19-2022, 05:41 PM
Bringing Rasul back. Now I'm really liking the Adams trade. Look at it this way. We gave up adams for Rasul and Campbell plus a 1 and a 2. Well worth it.

red
03-19-2022, 06:11 PM
Bringing Rasul back. Now I'm really liking the Adams trade. Look at it this way. We gave up adams for Rasul and Campbell plus a 1 and a 2. Well worth it.

still don't have a #1 or #2 wr on the team

red
03-19-2022, 06:12 PM
z smith pulled out of his deal with the ravens

don't know if it was his decision not to sign or he failed his physical, but he's still a free agent

Joemailman
03-19-2022, 07:15 PM
Rams trading Robert Woods to Titans for 2023 6th round pick. Woods tore ACL in November.

Bretsky
03-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Gotta think the Texans are rebuilding, right ? Go get their WR

texaspackerbacker
03-19-2022, 09:05 PM

Not really. Extending Adams would have reduced his cap hit. Douglas and Campbell were easily within reach anyway, especially where each maybe took slightly less to stay in Green Bay.

You're right in liking the trade, though, as signing a FA WR or two should leave us about as good plus we have the two high draft picks. That plus the idea that Rodgers might actually do better without Adams like in the 7 straight games we won while Adams was out injured.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 09:57 PM
Not really. Extending Adams would have reduced his cap hit. Douglas and Campbell were easily within reach anyway, especially where each maybe took slightly less to stay in Green Bay.

You're right in liking the trade, though, as signing a FA WR or two should leave us about as good plus we have the two high draft picks. That plus the idea that Rodgers might actually do better without Adams like in the 7 straight games we won while Adams was out injured.

It wouldn’t have reduced it to zero.

Joemailman
03-21-2022, 01:06 PM
Falcons trading Matt Ryan to Colts for a 3rd round pick.

Joemailman
03-21-2022, 01:28 PM
Z Smith headed to Minnesota for a visit.

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2022, 11:30 PM
Here's my prediction: Cleveland can't find a trade for Baker, they eventually cut him, and he signs with Pittsburgh and becomes the next long term starter there and a very good player. Maybe not a super bowl type QB but the next tier down.

Bretsky
03-22-2022, 11:46 PM
Here's my prediction: Cleveland can't find a trade for Baker, they eventually cut him, and he signs with Pittsburgh and becomes the next long term starter there and a very good player. Maybe not a super bowl type QB but the next tier down.

I'm CONFUSED on one thing

One Day NFL Network reported Watson visited Cleveland and eliminated them as an option
THEN
The day after the Browns traded for Watson

MAJOR F'ck up by media there; they never seemed to address that.

NOW

BAKER MAYFIELD............WHERE ?

I would think the Texans is the one team really in need of a QB, right ???

SudsMcBucky
03-23-2022, 08:07 AM

One Day NFL Network reported Watson visited Cleveland and eliminated them as an option
THEN

NOW

The Panthers and the Saints for sure need one and probably Philly, the Gints, too.

NewsBruin
03-23-2022, 11:31 AM
I don't see how the media (which ones? The ones who report or the am jocks who report on the reporting?) are to blame for reporting what their sources tell them, as long as the sources have a track record of being accurate and in a position to know what people are doing/thinking and make decisions.

Maybe the Browns' GM says "We'll offer Deshaun five years, but not fully guaranteed," and his agent tells his latte-fetcher to text the burner of Skip Mortenson about that conversation that the deal's now off. Skip puts it out on ESPN. The Browns' GM poops a brick and says "Okay, what if we did make it fully guaranteed?" How is that the media's fault?

Maybe, and this includes Rodgers' Romantic Polynesian Summer, more reporters should stop listening to flunkies trying to get their dude's message out when they know they're being used as leverage. Maybe they should say "You're famous and have credibility; we're not running anything that doesn't have your attribution onit," but that's gonna dry up sources when you have a legit story to break.

Everybody in the NFL has an angle. Everybody blusters in public, negotiates in private, leaks to their advantage, and then denies the leaks. I stopped taking anyone at face value when Jerry Jones said "If the players go a season without a salary cap, we'll never go back, and football will be destroyed forever." And the next season, they went back.

texaspackerbacker
03-23-2022, 12:51 PM

THEN

NOW

Certainly not the first time that happened with the God damned media hahahahaha.

I agree, Mayfield to Houston is logical to assume. Cleveland can't hang onto him with all the other QBs they now have, and Houston probably thinks they can get the price in trade way down for that reason.

Joemailman
03-23-2022, 12:57 PM
Davante may want to renegotiate his contract:

Dolphins are giving their new WR Tyreek Hill a 4-year, $120 million extension, including $72.2 million guaranteed, per ⁦@DrewJRosenhaus⁩

Bretsky
03-23-2022, 01:27 PM
https://lombardiave.com/2022/03/22/julio-jones-packers-perfect-match/

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2022, 01:42 PM
https://lombardiave.com/2022/03/22/julio-jones-packers-perfect-match/

You

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Not sure what's going on, but any time I try to edit a post from my phone lately it ends up being messed up.

I wouldn't trust a Fan Sided article, Bretsky. Just some common schmuck writing click bait articles. The same dude has written 3 articles in the last day. One about how the Packers should sign Julio, another about how the Packers should trade for Tyler Lockett, and another about how the Packers should trade for Brandin Cooks. Talk about click bait.

RashanGary
03-23-2022, 02:40 PM
Not sure what's going on, but any time I try to edit a post from my phone lately it ends up being messed up.

I wouldn't trust a Fan Sided article, Bretsky. Just some common schmuck writing click bait articles. The same dude has written 3 articles in the last day. One about how the Packers should sign Julio, another about how the Packers should trade for Tyler Lockett, and another about how the Packers should trade for Brandin Cooks. Talk about click bait.

I use my phone and use the mobile version. If you are using the mobile version you cannot use apostrophes or quotation marks or it cuts off. You can use the web version on your phone without the error. I like the mobile version so much that I write and make sure not to use apostrophes.

call_me_ishmael
03-23-2022, 04:16 PM
Yeah Mad what's up with that, I've seen that from my phone too and it's hella annoying.

Upnorth
03-24-2022, 07:24 AM
Not a big market for old or injured wr this year. Obj ab Julio and fuller all still available. Of the 4 I think obj would be the best fit and that fuller has the highest ceiling.
I think we could get one cheapish, unless there agents have priced them out of the market.

SudsMcBucky
03-24-2022, 08:51 AM
No way do I want anything to do with OBJ. Hell, he won't even be ready to try and give it a go until the end of the regular season at the earliest. And this is his 2nd. No thanks.

Upnorth
03-24-2022, 08:59 AM
No way do I want anything to do with OBJ. Hell, he won't even be ready to try and give it a go until the end of the regular season at the earliest. And this is his 2nd. No thanks.

I thought it was a broken ankle?
Thats not a lomg recovery.

And with a bit of looking I see it's a acl knee surgery. So fuller is the best fit. But must be cheap!

Bretsky
03-24-2022, 09:50 AM
i would like to see Julio or Fuller
but
Jarvis Landry would not be bad.

Just add a guy who can help and then draft two, and get 1 of the top 5 for an immediate impace

Joemailman
03-24-2022, 11:31 AM
AlbertBreer

Sources: The Cowboys are hiring Brian Schottenheimer, the Jaguars’ pass-game coordinator last year, into a unique role, where he’ll help both coordinators, Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore.

Much of Schottenheimer’s job will center on league trends and game-planning. Pretty cool idea.

What does McCarthy do?

SudsMcBucky
03-24-2022, 12:08 PM
AlbertBreer

What does McCarthy do?

Mismanage TO's and replays???

red
03-24-2022, 02:46 PM
Mismanage TO's and replays???

not prepare his teams for big games?

Tony Oday
03-24-2022, 03:00 PM
MVS is a Chef

scharpcheddar
03-24-2022, 03:20 PM
Twitter.
Chiefs have signed former Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, per @AdamSchefter.

More wideout reinforcements on the way ������

call_me_ishmael
03-24-2022, 04:03 PM
Mike McCarthy is 300 plus pounds and like 60 years old. I am guessing he doesn't do a lot these days. I know I harp the weight often but having lost a lot of weight myself I can attest that the energy difference is startling.

NO way would I have matched that MVS contract. I bet he feasts in KC with all of the speedsters though. I wish him well. He is the dollar store version of Cheetah, but at least he is a much better person AFAWK.

run pMc
03-24-2022, 04:26 PM
Mike McCarthy is 300 plus pounds and like 60 years old. I am guessing he doesn't do a lot these days. I know I harp the weight often but having lost a lot of weight myself I can attest that the energy difference is startling.

NO way would I have matched that MVS contract. I bet he feasts in KC with all of the speedsters though. I wish him well. He is the dollar store version of Cheetah, but at least he is a much better person AFAWK.

Yep - the MVS contract is one I wouldn't have matched. They'll probably get a R5 as a comp pick for him -- the same round he was drafted. Wish him well, glad he got paid. Seems like a good dude.
As for M3, for all his research or whatever when he was away from coaching, he sure seems to do a lot of the same stuff he did before... and his in-game management and adjustments, never a strong suit, haven't improved. He can keep a locker room together, and he's no dummy, but I kind of feel like he's an average coach at best, which isn't nothing.
I don't ding those guys on the weight gain; my understanding is it's a stressful job with long hours and not many opportunities to actually exercise, plus even if you found a spare hour you're too tired or more interested in seeing your family.

scharpcheddar
03-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Marquez V S , Twitter.

I could cry real tears right now. I got cut from my high school team as a freshman to signing a second contract in the NFL. Never let any person place a limitation on who you can be. THANK YOU GOD!!!

Joemailman
03-24-2022, 08:25 PM
Broncos sign Billy Turner. 1 year, 5 million.

RashanGary
03-24-2022, 08:27 PM
So we have lost MVS, Adams, Turner, Patrick and Zadarius. Should have kept everyone. The cap is not real.

Joemailman
03-24-2022, 08:38 PM
So we have lost MVS, Adams, Turner, Patrick and Zadarius. Should have kept everyone. The cap is not real.

Gute must not know how to cook.

ThunderDan
03-24-2022, 09:53 PM
Go to the Packers website and look at our roster. You will have a big lump in your throat. 30 players that I think are contributors. The rest you are looking to replace. We need a lot more talent. Luckily we have the draft with a lot of top picks. We are going to need to build the needed depth to survive the injuries that are going to happen.

call_me_ishmael
03-24-2022, 11:34 PM
Go to the Packers website and look at our roster. You will have a big lump in your throat. 30 players that I think are contributors. The rest you are looking to replace. We need a lot more talent. Luckily we have the draft with a lot of top picks. We are going to need to build the needed depth to survive the injuries that are going to happen.

Agreed. I would like to see them use some of the capital to trade down and acquire more resources. I always loved early TT taking _a lot_ of shots and building stellar depth. So far that hasn't been Gooter but I'd like to see it this year. Replenish the depth a bit.

run pMc
03-25-2022, 06:22 AM

Feels like they have a "stars and scrubs" roster, which is great until injuries hit. If you can keep your top 22 healthy, you might get by with 30 contributors.

I do think the cap constraints they are navigating may force them to turn those draft picks into cheap roster talent/depth. Remains to be seen whether Gute and Co. do that or use those 11 picks to trade up.

Joemailman
03-25-2022, 08:43 AM
Agreed. I would like to see them use some of the capital to trade down and acquire more resources. I always loved early TT taking _a lot_ of shots and building stellar depth. So far that hasn't been Gooter but I'd like to see it this year. Replenish the depth a bit.

In 4 drafts, Gute has only made 2 4th round picks. One good (Newman), one bad (J'mon Moore). He has traded away 6 4th round picks to move up in the draft. Couple that with poor success drafting in the 3rd round, and Packers don't have much talent from the middle rounds.

King Friday
03-25-2022, 08:45 AM

Clearly, Tex should be running every NFL team.

King Friday
03-25-2022, 08:50 AM

I highly disagree. The current Packers roster, even with the departures we've seen, is one of the deeper rosters in the league. That is how we've been able to get by when we lose 2-3 starters on the OL...and Jaire...and Z... for entire seasons and still finish as the #1 seed in the conference.

When you have a strong roster, there is NO need to trade down for volume. Half the guys we draft will struggle to make the roster as it is. We already have a ton of picks. Why the hell do we need more?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2022, 09:14 AM
I highly disagree. The current Packers roster, even with the departures we've seen, is one of the deeper rosters in the league. That is how we've been able to get by when we lose 2-3 starters on the OL...and Jaire...and Z... for entire seasons and still finish as the #1 seed in the conference.

When you have a strong roster, there is NO need to trade down for volume. Half the guys we draft will struggle to make the roster as it is. We already have a ton of picks. Why the hell do we need more?

Word.

Btw, trade for DK Metcalf! Rectify the mistake of taking the Fucking Center over the Black Hulk.

King Friday
03-25-2022, 09:41 AM
I'm all for getting Metcalf. While the WRs in the draft are all nice, Metcalf would be a monster in a Rodgers led offense.

KYPack
03-25-2022, 09:44 AM
Press announcement....

The PackerRat$ website announces the firing of their resident Cap Cooking Squad

'MVS, Davante Adams, Billy Turner, Lucas Patrick and Zadarius Smith will no longer be getting their mail in Green Bay, but in far flung remote locations.

Due to the NFL salary cap.

Instead of the phrase, "you can always cook the cap," from now on, it will be "you can never cook the cap".

Because you can't cook the cap. Backload a contract here, convert bonuses there, but the cap is real and can only be massaged and manipulated. The reason we lost these five good ballplayers is their deals did not fit into our cap situation

Tex and Tank have been claimed by the new USFL and are welcome to cook their brains out on that circuit.

SudsMcBucky
03-25-2022, 09:45 AM

Yep.

ThunderDan
03-25-2022, 09:47 AM
I'm all for getting Metcalf. While the WRs in the draft are all nice, Metcalf would be a monster in a Rodgers led offense.

No thank you.

We need to run the MLF offense. Not the McCarthy 2014-2018 offense of scramble and throw it down the field to Metcalf.

King Friday
03-25-2022, 09:49 AM
No thank you.

We need to run the MLF offense. Not the McCarthy 2014-2018 offense of scramble and throw it down the field to Metcalf.

You don't need to have pedestrian WRs to run the MLF offense. Having a deep threat is actually necessary, and we've now lost our 2 best options in that regard.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2022, 09:49 AM

Butte doesn’t trust rookie wideouts b/c it often takes time for a rook to master all the S,E,X,Y positions. Hell, Adams, as a rook, spent time in Butte’s doghouse.

Gotta get a hotshot vet of NFL wars. Metcalf fits the bill. Plus, he has a high futbol IQ. Butte loves smart WRs.

ThunderDan
03-25-2022, 09:52 AM

Have you looked at our roster recently?

At WR we have Blair, Cobb, Gafford, Rodgers, Winfree, Taylor, Lazard

OL is Myers, Jenkins, Runyan, Bakhtiari, Newman, Menet, Van Lanen, Hanson, Nijman. 5 starters if everyone somehow gets healthy, a swing T and shit.

Upnorth
03-25-2022, 10:00 AM
My biggest concern with Metcalf is if 12 decides to focus on him in games like Adams. I kinda think Metcalf is better than Adams for our o. But if we can get him for less than the 1st and 2nd we are winning

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2022, 10:03 AM
Press announcement....

The PackerRat$ website announces the firing of their resident Cap Cooking Squad

'MVS, Davante Adams, Billy Turner, Lucas Patrick and Zadarius Smith will no longer be getting their mail in Green Bay, but in far flung remote locations.

Due to the NFL salary cap.

Instead of the phrase, "you can always cook the cap," from now on, it will be "you can never cook the cap".

Because you can't cook the cap. Backload a contract here, convert bonuses there, but the cap is real and can only be massaged and manipulated. The reason we lost these five good ballplayers is their deals did not fit into our cap situation

Tex and Tank have been claimed by the new USFL and are welcome to cook their brains out on that circuit.

Adams would still be a Packer today if he wanted to be a Packer today. Packers were willing to shell out more frogskins than the Raiders. Adams, Campbell and Douglas all coulda been retained.

The rest of your aforementioned players were expendable. With Gary Lightbody’s unexpected rise to 89 overall rating on Madden, it was either P-Smith or Z-Smith. Go with the guy with durability. Turner? Meh. Yokozuna’s ain’t difficult to replace. MVS? $10M a year for a one trick pony is the definition of overpaid.

KYPack
03-25-2022, 10:40 AM
Adams would still be a Packer today if he wanted to be a Packer today. Packers were willing to shell out more frogskins than the Raiders. Adams, Campbell and Douglas all coulda been retained.

The rest of your aforementioned players were expendable. With Gary Lightbody’s unexpected rise to 89 overall rating on Madden, it was either P-Smith or Z-Smith. Go with the guy with durability. Turner? Meh. Yokozuna’s ain’t difficult to replace. MVS? $10M a year for a one trick pony is the definition of overpaid.

Tank, you don't know what you are talking about, how are we supposed to know what you are babbling.

We lost guys bc they didn't fit our cap situation. The idea that you can somehow "cook" the cap to retain players is bullshit.

The cap is the cap.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2022, 11:29 AM
KY, APB makes a lot more sense than you here. Pretty much all he said is true about the players with the possible exception of MVS being just a one trick pony.

You are dead wrong, as several others are in here about the cap. The Packers absolutely did "cook the cap". Bakhtiari, Rodgers, P. Smith, and several others had contracts that were excellent examples of that. There is still more that could and should be done too - Alexander and Amos at very least - which will open up more cap space to sign maybe a WR like Fuller or D. Smith. The cap has never been a serious problem, and very likely the increases in coming years will make it not a problem even then, or you can always "cook it"/kick things down the road even farther.

Bretsky
03-25-2022, 11:38 AM
Rodgers did a very Rodgers friendly deal that could really screw us in the end. Not everybody cooks the cap. Teams with 40 to 60 mil of dead money are going to pay down the road

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2022, 11:40 AM
My biggest concern with Metcalf is if 12 decides to focus on him in games like Adams. I kinda think Metcalf is better than Adams for our o. But if we can get him for less than the 1st and 2nd we are winning

The Raiders’ 1st should probably get a deal done. Alternatively, a 2nd rounder plus 3rd rounder.

Butte was willing to share the wealth when he was throwing to the likes of Jennings, Driver, Nelson and J-Mike. Trade for DK and draft a hotshot WR, and Butte would be sharing again.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2022, 12:00 PM
Tank, you don't know what you are talking about, how are we supposed to know what you are babbling.

We lost guys bc they didn't fit our cap situation. The idea that you can somehow "cook" the cap to retain players is bullshit.

The cap is the cap.

P-Smith and Campbell signed their new contracts while Adams’ $20M tag was still in the books. For a team that was supposedly in a “cap hell,” how was that possible?

The cap is just an accounting item, and all accounting items can be cooked.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2022, 12:17 PM
Rodgers did a very Rodgers friendly deal that could really screw us in the end. Not everybody cooks the cap. Teams with 40 to 60 mil of dead money are going to pay down the road

No and No. True, Rodgers got big money - as he should. But it was a very cap-friendly deal. As for that and other contracts biting the Packers in future years, no they won't unless there are injuries to the players or whatever. As I said, the large increases that should keep happening in the cap as well as possibility of future restructuring will easily take care of any cap problems with the dead money.

I saw that there is a possibility that Metcalf will be traded by Seattle. This is a temptation, as I agree, he's at least as good as Adams and a lot younger. He would only be under Packer control, though, for one year unless we extended him for huge money. Would they trade away the two draft picks they got for Davante to get Metcalf? Maybe they could get him a little cheaper, but I doubt it.

call_me_ishmael
03-25-2022, 01:12 PM
I mean the Falcons are certainly limited by paying 35M on the cap to a Matt Ryan that is on the Colts. The Packers will pay handedly when they pay up 60M on the cap to an Aaron Rodgers that is retired. But who cares, that is a future problem and a good chance to suck and reload.

run pMc
03-25-2022, 01:30 PM
P-Smith and Campbell signed their new contracts while Adams’ $20M tag was still in the books. For a team that was supposedly in a “cap hell,” how was that possible?

The cap is just an accounting item, and all accounting items can be cooked.

My understanding is Preston's cap number went down by signing the extension, and Campbell's contract was announced but not actually signed until Adams was traded. That's how it was possible.

Generally they "cook the cap" by taking base salary and converting it to signing bonuses, pushing money out into future years. Eventually they have to eat that dead space. I believe they've done that with everyone they can, including Amos. Only things left are cutting Lowry or extending Alexander. All their other contracts are cheapos and rookie deals basically, so there wouldn't be much savings doing further 'cooking'. Only reason the cap seems fake is because it's been growing year over year except for covid. Kevin King's void years will be eating cap space this year for example.

Bretsky
03-25-2022, 02:30 PM
No and No. True, Rodgers got big money - as he should. But it was a very cap-friendly deal. As for that and other contracts biting the Packers in future years, no they won't unless there are injuries to the players or whatever. As I said, the large increases that should keep happening in the cap as well as possibility of future restructuring will easily take care of any cap problems with the dead money.

I saw that there is a possibility that Metcalf will be traded by Seattle. This is a temptation, as I agree, he's at least as good as Adams and a lot younger. He would only be under Packer control, though, for one year unless we extended him for huge money. Would they trade away the two draft picks they got for Davante to get Metcalf? Maybe they could get him a little cheaper, but I doubt it.

Arod deal is cal friendly yearnome and two but I don’t think it’s without huge risk. Win it all and it doesn’t matter. But if arod retires early we will pay for it……whether all at once or over time. And no way to metcalf. Use the draft capital and get two guys high that are also cheap for the next 4 to 5 years

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2022, 08:00 PM
Arod deal is cal friendly yearnome and two but I don’t think it’s without huge risk. Win it all and it doesn’t matter. But if arod retires early we will pay for it……whether all at once or over time. And no way to metcalf. Use the draft capital and get two guys high that are also cheap for the next 4 to 5 years

Agree

NewsBruin
03-25-2022, 08:11 PM
It seems weird that there's such a difference between "We can't afford to suck in 2022 or 2023 with a cleared-out salary cap and draft picks" and "We'll be fine sucking in 2025-2026 with dead money prohibiting us from hiring anyone not making the minimums." But the big decisions have been made, so now we have to see how it plays out.

If Schneider and Carroll have a head injury or a dead body to hide, I wouldn't mind trading Love for Metcalf with a shot at extending Metcalf's contract (admitting that we'd have to cut or void-year existing players to make the cap work for Love's dead money). I'm sure going into his free-agency audition season, DK would rather have ARod throwing to him than whatever best effort Drew or Gino could put up.

Upnorth
03-26-2022, 09:22 AM
It seems weird that there's such a difference between "We can't afford to suck in 2022 or 2023 with a cleared-out salary cap and draft picks" and "We'll be fine sucking in 2025-2026 with dead money prohibiting us from hiring anyone not making the minimums." But the big decisions have been made, so now we have to see how it plays out.

If Schneider and Carroll have a head injury or a dead body to hide, I wouldn't mind trading Love for Metcalf with a shot at extending Metcalf's contract (admitting that we'd have to cut or void-year existing players to make the cap work for Love's dead money). I'm sure going into his free-agency audition season, DK would rather have ARod throwing to him than whatever best effort Drew or Gino could put up.

Now that's an interest ing idea. Then trade a second and third to a shitty team for there next year 1st and maybe get a stud.
Unless love is the real deal and they know it.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-26-2022, 01:42 PM
My understanding is Preston's cap number went down by signing the extension, and Campbell's contract was announced but not actually signed until Adams was traded. That's how it was possible.

Generally they "cook the cap" by taking base salary and converting it to signing bonuses, pushing money out into future years. Eventually they have to eat that dead space. I believe they've done that with everyone they can, including Amos. Only things left are cutting Lowry or extending Alexander. All their other contracts are cheapos and rookie deals basically, so there wouldn't be much savings doing further 'cooking'. Only reason the cap seems fake is because it's been growing year over year except for covid. Kevin King's void years will be eating cap space this year for example.

Last season, the Rams were hit with $22M in “dead money” (only 2M less than the Pack’s 24M this year) after they traded Goff. Did it fuck up their season?

Bezos’ gonna “make it rain” soon. Who the fuck cares if a team has $45M in dead money but $35M in cap space (due to Bezos making it rain)? Only a pig owner. The dead money merely gives the pig an excuse not to hand, say, Watson $200M. The Packers lack a pig owner. Being 35 or 80 (cap space + lack of dead money) beneath the cap, either sum is more than enough to sign Watson, who’s costing the Browns $10M against their cap this season.

So long as cash flow keeps flowing, the cap can always be cooked. And cash flow is only gonna keep flowing. You don’t need a PhD in Economics to understand that Bezos is gonna make it rain soon.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2022, 01:52 PM
Explained like a true wannabe CPA. Put it to music, and you can be a lyricist too.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-26-2022, 02:04 PM
Explained like a true wannabe CPA. Put it to music, and you can be a lyricist too.

Alas, the reason I ain’t a lyricist is the same reason I ain’t a CPA. No pig would hire me.

bobblehead
03-26-2022, 02:20 PM
As I said, the large increases that should keep happening in the cap as well as possibility of future restructuring will easily take care of any cap problems with the dead money.

Tex, I think everyone knows this, but your post makes me wonder. Here it is. The cap goes up for EVERYONE. So if we are carrying $50 million in dead money, its not like "oh, the cap went up, no problem". We will be handicapped by that $50 million vs. the rest of the league...specifically teams that are NOT carrying it. Yea, our cap goes up, but to resign guys you need to compete with 32 other teams, and you just saw what 2 teams like Miami and LV can do to the cost of signing your own FAs when they aren't carrying $25 million dead cap money THIS year.

texaspackerbacker
03-26-2022, 08:15 PM
Inflation hahahahaha. If we can do it, everybody else can do it too, and they can do it better if we have dead money ....... yeah, there's something to that, but we have Aaron Rodgers and they don't. Someday in the distant (I hope) future, we won't have him, and when that happens, the Packers are in deep shit regardless of dead money or the cap or anything else - but deal with that when the time comes, and until then, enjoy the ride.

Upnorth
03-27-2022, 09:00 AM
Inflation hahahahaha. If we can do it, everybody else can do it too, and they can do it better if we have dead money ....... yeah, there's something to that, but we have Aaron Rodgers and they don't. Someday in the distant (I hope) future, we won't have him, and when that happens, the Packers are in deep shit regardless of dead money or the cap or anything else - but deal with that when the time comes, and until then, enjoy the ride.
Our d is ascending. I think we are in the best position to survive no Aaron or Favre since 2010.
At least I think this is the best d we have had since then.
We finally have an average run stopper in Reed.
We appear to have a good to very good ilb (but he might be a 1 year wonder).
Our worst piece on the secondary is savage who is above average.
Our biggest weakness is rotational edge rusher. Or backup ilb.
We have the likely hood of a top 5 d all by picking up an average run defender. I mean we were decent on d and had 2 all pros out most of the year. That's a good d.

We have an average oline unless bak can play then it is at least above average.
We have great rb. At least average te if tonyon is 75% of 2020. Below average wr.
We have a massive ? At backup qb that has upside from his 2018 season when he had good recovers but looked average with poor receivers in 2019. That is a concern. Glad we have a coach who knows the run game.

I don't think we are screwed without 12, but for the first time in a long time we might still be a playoff team without him. I cant see garappalo being much better than love and they made it.
The bears have a bad roster.
The Lions are the lions.
The Vikings seem to be getting worse.
I really think even without 12 we might make the playoffs if love can be average.

ThunderDan
03-27-2022, 09:06 AM
While I might differ a bit on how strong our roster is at certain positions from UpNorth, I completely agree that we could still win the north without ARod. The Queens finished 2nd at 8-9 and split the season series with us.

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2022, 11:44 AM
A sometimes wise man said (in another thread about 20 minutes ago): "Haves and have nots are determined by QBs, not the fucking cap."

Joemailman
03-30-2022, 09:05 PM
Bruce Arians retires. Todd Bowles will be Bucs head coach.

Fritz
03-31-2022, 09:47 AM
Wow. Health problems, I think? The team wanted a Bowles movement?

SudsMcBucky
03-31-2022, 10:16 AM
Wow. Health problems, I think?

A Brady problem, I think...

call_me_ishmael
03-31-2022, 10:35 AM
A Brady problem, I think...

Agreed. Somehow I have a hunch this is more a case of "Bruce, come in come in. Listen, Tommy doesn't want you as coach so we're going to need you to resign." Bill Simmons speculated on this early in the off-season because of the comments about Arians saying he wouldn't trade him, etc. Bill thought that Arians was very dismissive of Brady and maybe overplayed his hand in a land where QBs rule the world.

So I will that if this statement is actually Arian's perspective (I doubt it tbh), it is quite commendable.
https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1509325624229470209

George Cumby
03-31-2022, 10:52 AM
The team wanted a Bowles movement?

You bastard.

Upvoted.

Fritz
03-31-2022, 10:59 AM
Agreed. Somehow I have a hunch this is more a case of "Bruce, come in come in. Listen, Tommy doesn't want you as coach so we're going to need you to resign." Bill Simmons speculated on this early in the off-season because of the comments about Arians saying he wouldn't trade him, etc. Bill thought that Arians was very dismissive of Brady and maybe overplayed his hand in a land where QBs rule the world.

So I will that if this statement is actually Arian's perspective (I doubt it tbh), it is quite commendable.
https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1509325624229470209

Sounds to me that the wife wanted him to retire.

bobblehead
03-31-2022, 11:21 AM
Sounds to me that the wife wanted him to retire.

This is how rumors get started Fritz. Headline "Brady's wife forces Arians to retire"

Edit: I gotta be careful, if Brady sees this he might slap me!!

Fritz
04-02-2022, 08:36 AM
Well, I meant Bruce Arians's wife. Picture it: she's sick of him being gone all the damn time, being in the spotlight, so she says "Hey, Bruce, isn't it time to let the younguns take over? If you don't go now, you're going to leave your friends with a mess. Come on, we need to use our time-share more often."

Joemailman
04-02-2022, 12:11 PM
DeVante Parker to Patriots:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Patriots get WR DeVante Parker and a 2022 5th-round pick.

Dolphins get a 2023 third-round pick.

Fritz
04-02-2022, 12:16 PM

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Okay, cue all the responses about how proactive and awesome the Patriots are for doing this, and why can't the Packers ever be like that, and so on, and so on.

red
04-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Okay, cue all the responses about how proactive and awesome the Patriots are for doing this, and why can't the Packers ever be like that, and so on, and so on.

well, we gotta do something like that

its gonna be a flat out disaster when we're starting 2 rookies at WR and our QB refuses to even look at them because they haven't been playing with him for at least 3 years

run pMc
04-02-2022, 05:17 PM

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Was actually hoping they'd go after Parker... maybe they did and NE won out Parker would have been affordable and a good veteran addition - he's a decent receiver on what has been a mostly bad team.
I doubt SEA wants to trade Metcalf, and Tyler Lockett is good but he's old and expensive. Maybe they go for Julio Jones after all... or maybe they sign 35 y/o Emanuel Sanders and hope the draft gets them some help right away.

Trying to think of who else is out there...Will Fuller and his steroid kit? AJ Green? It's slim pickings.

Also: holy crap, Jarvis Landry is 29 going on 30? The way he plays, I thought that dude was older.

texaspackerbacker
04-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Will Fuller is still out there. He's been my first choice all along. I'm increasingly thinking, though, that they might not sign a FA WR at all.

I'd be almost as happy as APB if they could pull off a trade for Metcalf, but I very much doubt that is happening.

Upnorth
04-03-2022, 08:31 AM
We may not see fa movement till after draft. Plus if they wait till june 1 half if the 2022 cap hit can be pushed to 2023 (I believe) so they can get more with less. Tbey have arpund 7-8 mil usable space for pick ups. Much as we hate it I think it is wait it out time.

Unless the extend jaire. And that aint happening soon...

run pMc
04-03-2022, 12:27 PM
Will Fuller is still out there. He's been my first choice all along. I'm increasingly thinking, though, that they might not sign a FA WR at all.

I'd be almost as happy as APB if they could pull off a trade for Metcalf, but I very much doubt that is happening.

I'd be mildly surprised if they didn't bring in a vet WR to help out for at least early in the season. As for Fuller, he's good when he's healthy, but he's never healthy. In 6 seasons, he's appeared in 55 games. The guy can't hold up and unless you get him cheap he's not a dependable option IMO. I'm also not sure he can be a WR1; he's more of a good WR 2/3 to me. Metcalf is not going to be pried away from SEA cheaply, and he'd want a monster extension. I don't see it, but who knows.

Bretsky
04-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Hoody Genius outduels a Packers GM again for a WR :)))))

This would have been a GENIUS move for Gutey. Ditch our 3rd round annual BUST (the one thing we can count on) and get Parker and a 5th.

Hell we should just trade away our 3rd for a 4th so we have a chance :)))

texaspackerbacker
04-04-2022, 01:52 PM
We may not see fa movement till after draft. Plus if they wait till june 1 half if the 2022 cap hit can be pushed to 2023 (I believe) so they can get more with less. Tbey have arpund 7-8 mil usable space for pick ups. Much as we hate it I think it is wait it out time.

Unless the extend jaire. And that aint happening soon...

It's starting to look like you may be right about not signing an FA WR before the draft. That would seem to indicate that they prefer to get at least one starting WR in the draft.

Why do you say extending Jaire ain't happening soon? other than the fact that they don't need to for more cap space unless they spend more for some high price FAs?

Upnorth
04-04-2022, 08:09 PM
It's starting to look like you may be right about not signing an FA WR before the draft. That would seem to indicate that they prefer to get at least one starting WR in the draft.

Why do you say extending Jaire ain't happening soon? other than the fact that they don't need to for more cap space unless they spend more for some high price FAs?

The way that dolphin corner got paid I think we won't till post June 1. Even the hit out over an extra year. Give us more just in case space for 2022, never know when gute finds his next pro bowl fa.

Bretsky, if the dolphins will trade to the Patriots he ain't gonna be woth shit. Parker has been meh and the fact he went in division on a trade for a 3rd.... Turdburger.

Joemailman
04-04-2022, 08:26 PM
The way that dolphin corner got paid I think we won't till post June 1. Even the hit out over an extra year. Give us more just in case space for 2022, never know when gute finds his next pro bowl fa.

Bretsky, if the dolphins will trade to the Patriots he ain't gonna be woth shit. Parker has been meh and the fact he went in division on a trade for a 3rd.... Turdburger.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/04/packers-had-interest-in-devante-parker-before-trade-to-patriots/?taid=624b80b83225ef0001289a76&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Packers were one of three teams to express interest in DeVante Parker before the Miami Dolphins completed a trade with the New England Patriots for the 29-year-old receiver.

Parker’s preference was to go to New England. The Patriots traded next year’s third-round pick for Parker and a fifth-round pick in this year’s draft.

Upnorth
04-04-2022, 09:10 PM

Double post

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Miles Boykin was cut by the Ravens. At 6'4" 220 with 4.42 speed and 9.94 RAS score, I would think the Packers are interested. I'm not sure how good of a blocker he is.

Upnorth
04-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Miles Boykin was cut by the Ravens. At 6'4" 220 with 4.42 speed and 9.94 RAS score, I would think the Packers are interested. I'm not sure how good of a blocker he is.

If we can do a Watkins type contract on him yes please.

Joemailman
04-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Is Boykin any better than what the Packers have now? Boykin played in 8 games last year and caught 1 pass for 6 yards. In 3 years he had just 470 yards receiving, although he did have 7 TD's. I think a guy like Winfree could probably do as well if given the opportunity.

Fritz
04-19-2022, 12:12 PM
Is Boykin any better than what the Packers have now? Boykin played in 8 games last year and caught 1 pass for 6 yards. In 3 years he had just 470 yards receiving, although he did have 7 TD's. I think a guy like Winfree could probably do as well if given the opportunity.

Well, Boykin doesn't have a lot of . . . miles on him.

:rs:

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2022, 02:07 PM

It's worth kicking the tires. Dude has had his moments. He's had Lamar Jackson throwing to him (an average passer who has eyes mostly for Mark Andrews and sometimes Hollywood). Allen Lazard got cut by the Jaguars.

RashanGary
04-19-2022, 02:32 PM
It's worth kicking the tires. Dude has had his moments. He's had Lamar Jackson throwing to him (an average passer who has eyes mostly for Mark Andrews and sometimes Hollywood). Allen Lazard got cut by the Jaguars.

Tramon Williams was cut by Houston.

Upnorth
04-19-2022, 02:51 PM

Thats why I stipulated the contract. He would not count against the cap, and may have some up side.

Joemailman
04-19-2022, 08:47 PM
Sammy Watkins' incentives:

Playtime:
55% = $150K
60% = $350K
65% = $525K

Catches:
50 = $150K
60 = $350K
70 = $525K

Yards:
550 = $150K
650 = $350K
700 = $525K

TDs
7 = $150K
8 = $350K
9 = $575K

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2022, 11:15 PM
His cap number i just $1.77 million.

Upnorth
04-20-2022, 03:41 PM
If Boykin took that I would be happy as well.

Joemailman
04-20-2022, 10:21 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

This Packers WR room of Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb is gonna be fun to watch.

Bretsky
04-20-2022, 10:27 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

This Packers WR room of Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb is gonna be fun to watch.

SO MANY WR's asking to be traded because they want a DEVANTEDEAL

I don't want any of them for 25 mil/year

Joemailman
04-20-2022, 10:33 PM
SO MANY WR's asking to be traded because they want a DEVANTEDEAL

I don't want any of them for 25 mil/year

I agree. When you're paying your QB 50 million a year, you shouldn't need to pay a WR 25 million.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2022, 10:36 PM
The dream is over. Boykin claimed by the Steelers. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
04-21-2022, 07:45 AM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

And Chris Olave.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-21-2022, 08:22 AM
I agree. When you're paying your QB 50 million a year, you shouldn't need to pay a WR 25 million.

Would Butte be putting up MVP numbers if he was throwing exclusively to the likes of Sloth Allison, Jarrett Boykin, Jared Abbrederis, Tori Gurley and Brett Swain?

Hotshot QBs still need someone to catch the rock. Y’all like to hate Prima Donna wideouts, like, TO, Ocho Cinco, Randy Moss, Dez “Tyrant” Bryant, but they do excel at inflating the stats of QBs. Gotta be Wu-Tang (skillful) to be a Prima Donna.

To paraphrase the great Arizona Cardinals rock catcher, Rod Tidwell, show ‘em Donnas the fucking money!

Joemailman
04-21-2022, 08:29 AM
The dream is over. Boykin claimed by the Steelers. :)

Damn. Gute=Turtle II

run pMc
04-21-2022, 04:13 PM
In 40 games with 24 starts, Boykin has caught 33 passes for 470 yards with seven TDs.

They're not missing much by not bringing him in.

Joemailman
05-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Deandre Hopkins gets 6 game PED suspension.

Upnorth
05-03-2022, 09:06 PM
So how cheap would a trade for hopkins be now? Cardnials just got another wr and may want to distance themselves from hopkins ped suspension. Plus most of the cap hit would stay in Arizona.

Joemailman
05-03-2022, 09:30 PM
So how cheap would a trade for hopkins be now? Cardnials just got another wr and may want to distance themselves from hopkins ped suspension. Plus most of the cap hit would stay in Arizona.

Hopkins has a base salary of 19.5M in 2023. How much do you want to trade to have Hopkins for 11 games this year?

run pMc
05-04-2022, 11:20 AM
Kupp and Adams are better but Hopkins is still pretty good. I wonder if the PEDs were to help heal up injuries or get back into shape faster (totally admit to not reading any clickbait on it)

He's a very good WR but I wonder if he's officially on the downside now. You could throw out a trade offer and maybe convert base salary to a bonus to save cap room, but I can't see GB doing that with how crowded their WR room is and how tight they are on the cap. I think Russ Ball wants to survive this year and then they have breathing room next year when the cap goes way up and they have room to eat some of their dead cap hits.

All these WRs wanting to get paid, I think it's made teams wary. I imagine it's hard for some to justify paying someone $20-25M for 6-8 touches a game. But if you don't...
I think the preferred model is to find 2-3 good WRs vs. an elite one. Less risk to injury, easier to spread the ball around, probably cheaper for the amount of production.

Upnorth
05-04-2022, 01:38 PM
Hopkins has a base salary of 19.5M in 2023. How much do you want to trade to have Hopkins for 11 games this year?

A 2 and a 3. He plays with arod has a career year and we trade him away for a 1 and 2
Profit!!!!

Seriously though, I feel like our team is much better thos year than last (with an assumption bak is back). I fully expect amari to be better, watkins is better than anyone else outside of adams from last year and Watson (who is very smart) is an upgrade on mvs. I though we had a need at te, but outside of the waller rumors gute has done nothing, not even in udfa. That says to me they are better than I think. I wanted a safety, Fritz and others have pointed out what our new ilb means so thats not a weakness. Patrick Taylor has another year of experience so rodgers might be open to him and he looked great last ps. Our secondary has #1 potential and I believe Wyatt is going to make our dl shine.

Im seriously optimistic about this year.

Joemailman
05-11-2022, 04:50 PM
The Green Bay Packers added to their tight end depth chart on Wednesday, claiming Eli Wolf (6-4, 238) off of waivers from the Indianapolis Colts.

Wolf, 25, went undrafted out of Georgia during the 2020 draft. He signed with the Baltimore Ravens and spent much of the 2020 season on Baltimore’s practice squad. In 2021, Wolf spent the final two months of the season on the Colts practice squad.

Indianapolis released Wolf on Tuesday.

To make room for Wolf on the 90-man roster, the Packers released receiver Chris Blair.

Fritz
05-11-2022, 05:28 PM
Big doings.

Joemailman
05-11-2022, 06:20 PM
Big doings.

He's at least from Georgia. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

RashanGary
06-28-2022, 12:58 PM
I

Upnorth
06-28-2022, 03:31 PM
I

U

SudsMcBucky
08-11-2022, 10:36 AM
Ex-Badger James White has retired from the NFL. Awesome dude.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10045072-james-white-retires-after-9-nfl-seasons-won-3-super-bowls-with-patriots

Joemailman
08-18-2022, 11:30 AM
DeShaun Watson suspended 11 games. Fined $5 million.

bobblehead
08-19-2022, 09:21 AM
DeShaun Watson suspended 11 games. Fined $5 million.

DW gets 11 for rub and tugs. Sorry, but I don't buy that at least 80% of the women who went into that massage hadn't heard the rumors from other girls and knew a $500 tip was in if they did it. And he never forced himself on or PUNCHED a woman. He was inappropriate. For that the got far more than any of the guys who flattened chics with right hooks (See Mixon, Joe)

But he isn't as unfortunate as Calvin Ridley who proved that making a parlay on games you are not in, on teams you are not under contract with, is worth the biggest suspension in recent history.

The NFL is nothing if not totally contradictory. We ABHOR violence against women...we just abhor betting on games and paying for handjobs even more!!

Edit: I just read an article that says Ridley bet on the Falcons to win a game. I have read conflicting reports now. I do think its worse to bet on your own team than to bet "other" games, but not a huge difference in the big picture.

RashanGary
08-19-2022, 09:24 AM
Agree bobble.

bobblehead
08-19-2022, 09:37 AM
Just a few from Wiki:

June 22, 2004 3 games Michael Pittman RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic violence incident [35]
September 6, 2004 1 game Leonardo Carson DT Dallas Cowboys Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from being convicted of burglary and kidnapping [36]
October 18, 2004 1 game Dwayne Carswell TE Denver Broncos Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic violence incident [37]
June 15, 2005 2 games Mike Doss S Indianapolis Colts Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from alleged possession of firearms [38]
August 20, 2005 1 game Brad Hopkins OL Tennessee Titans Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic violence incident
November 22, 2006 1 game Ricky Manning CB Chicago Bears Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic violence incident [43]
May 15, 2007 Entire 2007 season Adam Jones CB Tennessee Titans Attacking a stripper and threatening a security guard's life (this was in vegas...3 men were shot. pacmans posse took the hit for him.)
September 2, 2014 10 games Josh Brent NT Dallas Cowboys Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from being convicted of manslaughter WOW!!
April 22, 2015 10 games
(later reduced to 4 games)[124] Greg Hardy DE Dallas Cowboys Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic abuse charge
September 8, 2015 3 games Jonathan Dwyer RB Free agent Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a domestic violence arrest [130]
September 8, 2015 6 games Jermaine Cunningham OLB Free agent Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy [130]
September 8, 2015 6 games Rodney Austin OG Free agent Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, stemming from a guilty domestic violence charge
August 17, 2016 1 game Josh Brown K New York Giants Violation of the Personal Conduct Policy

Just going to end on Josh Brown. Many of the violations are labeled "personal conduct policy" but I remember his. He claimed he merely grabbed his wife by the wrist. She had a bit more damage than that. She eventually dropped charges. Andrew Quarless popped off 2 rounds when some women rebuked him and got like 2 games I think it was.

The NFL is a shit show in their inconsistency.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-19-2022, 10:08 AM
DW gets 11 for rub and tugs. Sorry, but I don't buy that at least 80% of the women who went into that massage hadn't heard the rumors from other girls and knew a $500 tip was in if they did it. And he never forced himself on or PUNCHED a woman. He was inappropriate. For that the got far more than any of the guys who flattened chics with right hooks (See Mixon, Joe)

But he isn't as unfortunate as Calvin Ridley who proved that making a parlay on games you are not in, on teams you are not under contract with, is worth the biggest suspension in recent history.

The NFL is nothing if not totally contradictory. We ABHOR violence against women...we just abhor betting on games and paying for handjobs even more!!

Edit: I just read an article that says Ridley bet on the Falcons to win a game. I have read conflicting reports now. I do think its worse to bet on your own team than to bet "other" games, but not a huge difference in the big picture.

Watson supposedly committed multiple sexual assaults. The National Center for Victims of Crime defines sexual assault as:

Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when someone touches any part of another person's body in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent.

Based on the testimonies of multiple victims, Watson was prone to exposing himself and making unwanted sexual contacts with his genitals upon his victims. Contrary to popular belief, not ALL women are addicted to big Black roosters. Watson exhibits (or at least exhibited) predatory sexual behaviors. Consequently, he committed sexual assaults.

Watson deserves a lifetime ban from NFL, as well as a life-time registry as a sex offender.

Teamcheez1
08-19-2022, 10:36 AM
I believe Watson's penalty probably should have been a full year plus fine, but the NFL and NFLPA agreed to the current punishment.
Lifetime ban, no. Help me remember, what crime was he convicted of? None.

Joemailman
08-19-2022, 11:27 AM
I wonder what kind of reaction Watson will get from the home fans if they plays this week. He was greeted warmly by Jacksonville fans last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdFDY2nv3Y

Anti-Polar Bear
08-19-2022, 11:34 AM
I believe Watson's penalty probably should have been a full year plus fine, but the NFL and NFLPA agreed to the current punishment.
Lifetime ban, no. Help me remember, what crime was he convicted of? None.

Watson and Roethlisberger are true testaments to the power of the frogskin wiping away would-be convictions.

Fritz
08-19-2022, 12:28 PM
I wonder what kind of reaction Watson will get from the home fans if they plays this week. He was greeted warmly by Jacksonville fans last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdFDY2nv3Y

Big change from the All American image of Baker Mayfield.

But you know how it goes. If they win and he's helping with that, all will be forgiven. Fans will love him.

smuggler
08-19-2022, 10:35 PM
I think Watson is an idiot, and probably has a mental problem, but the thing that forced those hands around his dick were not his hands or his threats or his clout. It was his money. At any time a therapist can walk away from a client and end the agreement. These aren't ten year olds, they're adults.

Society needs to stop treating women like they're dimwitted, pathetic invalids. They ARE still adults.

This is just in reference to the therapists that actually performed the deed. Therapists that did the right thing and walked out, and have since complained? They're totally justified.

RashanGary
08-19-2022, 10:44 PM
And even if he turned over and his dick was out…. Sure it suggests that he wants a handy. But they don’t have to do it and it’s not all that traumatic. It’s just a penis. He shouldn’t have done it and it’s messed up, but it’s not as bad as they’re making it out. I think the suspension is spot on and the fine.

bobblehead
08-21-2022, 01:40 AM
Watson and Roethlisberger are true testaments to the power of the frogskin wiping away would-be convictions.

Watson is a testament of the power of frogskins to get women to give you a handjob during a massage session. I imagine he totally is a creep who made more than one woman uncomfortable, but bottom line...he never hit anyone. He never raped anyone. He isn't Ben. He isn't ray rice. What he was doing is wrong, but in the spirit of what the NFL gave a lot of bad dudes for punishment, Desean got a raw deal.

Joemailman
08-21-2022, 08:13 AM
Watson is a testament of the power of frogskins to get women to give you a handjob during a massage session. I imagine he totally is a creep who made more than one woman uncomfortable, but bottom line...he never hit anyone. He never raped anyone. He isn't Ben. He isn't ray rice. What he was doing is wrong, but in the spirit of what the NFL gave a lot of bad dudes for punishment, Desean got a raw deal.

You're kind of missing a key point in saying this punishment is inconsistent with the past. The NFL changed their procedures for how to handle cases like this because of the criticism they've received for the way they handled situations like Ray Rice. This was the first time that the new procedure has been used. The procedure, which was negotiated with the NFLPA, is designed to create a new normal on how these situations are handled.

run pMc
08-21-2022, 10:26 AM
The complaints filed against Watson were a little bit more than "his dick was out". Would you really want your sister, daughter, mother dealing with that guy and his antics?

smuggler
08-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Kinda like the new setup. Of course as soon as it fucks us, I'll be regretting that.

I always thought the appeal process was ridiculous. Imagine if Ruggs didn't get 10+ years in prison for killing that woman in the fiery crash...

He gets a yearlong suspension or some bullshit and then appeals it. Upon further review? Lifetime ban. But this is why I'm not judge material. I'm heavyhanded with both reward and punishment.

bobblehead
08-21-2022, 01:31 PM
You're kind of missing a key point in saying this punishment is inconsistent with the past. The NFL changed their procedures for how to handle cases like this because of the criticism they've received for the way they handled situations like Ray Rice. This was the first time that the new procedure has been used. The procedure, which was negotiated with the NFLPA, is designed to create a new normal on how these situations are handled.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I hadn't heard anything about it to be honest. I'll have to do a bit of research. If this is true I would think the next guy who actually HITS a woman, or is ACCUSED of rape by a woman will miss at least 16 games.

Edit: So I read up on the new agreement from 2020. The only real difference is the "disciplinary officer" appointed by both parties. If that person says "yes, you did something and should be punished" it really doesn't matter what s/he recomments. Goodell has final say....just like before.

So, were Roger might have declared he will be tougher on guys than he was in the past, it was always his decision then and now. He handed out the soft penalties of the past, and he hands the penalties out now. The only exception would be if the officer says "no violation occurred". In that sole case Roger can't do squat.

bobblehead
08-21-2022, 01:32 PM
The complaints filed against Watson were a little bit more than "his dick was out". Would you really want your sister, daughter, mother dealing with that guy and his antics?

Pretty sure my sister has dealth with mens antics quite a bit in her life. As has my wife. I count on them to be strong and tell men to fuck off. They seem to do it well without getting 6 figure settlements (which I'm not necessarily against).

bobblehead
08-21-2022, 01:40 PM
And let me be clear. I don't like Watson, and being a creep with massage girls is illegal. I don't mind that he got 11 games or whatever it was. I just fully expect to see in the future, when Ray Lewis or Pacman is involved in a mega violent situation, or when a guy smacks his girl with a right hook and breaks her jaw, just maybe they get more than Desean did....and maybe even more than Calvin Ridley got for making a few bets.

run pMc
08-21-2022, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the Ridley suspension is crazy IMO.

Fritz
08-21-2022, 05:14 PM
Rashan, if he asked for a "handy" in Germany they'd try to sell him a cell phone.