PDA

View Full Version : Where Is the Love in Green Bay?

Fritz
03-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Well, now we know: Rodgers is coming back, with a monster extension. Given that - supposedly -retirement was a "real consideration," according to Hack McAfee, it would seem that the most you could reasonably expect from Rodgers is two more years.

That would seem to leave Love in the lurch. From an article I read today, "The Packers will have to make a decision following this season on Love’s option," but I thought since he was a first-round pick they had four years to make a decision, and the coming season is only his third. So can someone please clarify that for me? Is the article wrong or am I?

It would also seem that, at the least, the team believes Love is not ready to be a starting NFL quarterback. It may be they've seen enough to conclude he never will be, at least not a good one, but it may be that they just think he's still really raw. It's hard to say. But they sure don't think he's ready to start at a level that would make them contenders this year.

They'll say, of course, that they have great faith in him, they'll remind us that Rodgers sat for three years, and so on and so on, but he'll get lots of snaps in preseason, and I think it's crucial that he shows significant improvement in that arena. If he doesn't, well, then, ouch. For him and the team.

What do you think? How do you read these tea leaves? Have they concluded he's not the answer, or are they just giving him another year to develop?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-09-2022, 12:59 PM
The 5th year option for a 1st rounder have to be picked up or declined following the player’s 3rd season. If picked up, the player gets a nice raise in his 5th year. If declined, he becomes a free agent after his 4th year.

The Packers picked up J-Alex’s option 2 years ago. He’s entering his 5th season.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 01:00 PM
I think they feel he's not ready yet. A lot depends on how Rodgers' contract is structured. If it's a given that Rodgers will be here for another 3 years or more, I don't think they'll make him be Rodgers' backup for 5 years.

As far as I know, the option on Love's contract would be after the 2023 season.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2022, 01:15 PM
Thus, Love has trade value. I've heard 2nd round pick mentioned. I would think 3rd or 4th at least would be reasonable.

wthigoot
03-09-2022, 01:40 PM
I think they feel he's not ready yet. A lot depends on how Rodgers' contract is structured. If it's a given that Rodgers will be here for another 3 years or more, I don't think they'll make him be Rodgers' backup for 5 years.

As far as I know, the option on Love's contract would be after the 2023 season.

- He is a good and cheap option as a backup for the next two years while continuing to develop, and is there if anything serious goes wrong with Rodgers.

- The 5th year option is just not doable unless he is going to play, it looks like it would be around $20 M. This year, Daniel Jones' (NYG) option is 22.384 M.

- It is all about the Rodgers contract and where the off-ramps are, if any. 5Y Option is out, looks like they will need to make a final decision on him after next year. They could just let him go to free agency after 4th year.

bobblehead
03-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Rodgers contract is irrelevant. We have 2 years we can kicm the can, then its all over. Too much dead money to field a good team. Maybe they take the tth year optiin but then extend him with an out if he isn't the guy. Sorry for typos. Skiing and posting with a phone.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-09-2022, 02:38 PM
Rodgers contract is irrelevant. We have 2 years we can kicm the can, then its all over. Too much dead money to field a good team. Maybe they take the tth year optiin but then extend him with an out if he isn't the guy. Sorry for typos. Skiing and posting with a phone.

So you’re indeed white, as suspected. Only the Whites with their sumptuous frogskins ski. I know Partial ski. Tiger Woods ski - he ain’t been Black or Asian since he betrayed…you know.

Joemailman
03-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Love to become a Colt?

Evan Massey
@massey_evan

Jordan Love is a name to watch closely for the #Colts at QB. Chris Ballard tried to get him in the draft, and now they have assets to easily make a deal with the #Packers for him.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2022, 03:16 PM

I don't really know why you think that. I totally believe the cap can be cooked indefinitely as long as you have the cash flow. At some point you've gotta pay the piper and that day will come but with the cap going up so much in two years I don't view the situation at that dire.

Tony Oday
03-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Love is trash, bad arm, not accurate, brain too slow to process a Defense.

Bretsky
03-09-2022, 04:22 PM
Love to become a Colt?

JS theorized we could get a 3rd
But all our 3rd round picks suck

So let's get a 2nd round draft pick "swap" AND a 4th

Anti-Polar Bear
03-09-2022, 05:15 PM
Love is trash, bad arm, not accurate, brain too slow to process a Defense.

You ski, O’Day?

MadScientist
03-09-2022, 05:17 PM
It may seem disappointing to turn a first rounder into a third round pick, but the Love pick out a fire under Rodgers (at least during the regular season), so at least we got that out of him. Still Love plus that Denver package would be pretty nice.

George Cumby
03-09-2022, 05:40 PM
Bye, bye, Love.

Sparkey
03-09-2022, 06:34 PM
Bye bye happiness

Vincenzo
03-09-2022, 10:07 PM
Well his selection lit a fire under Rodgers and he played at an MVP level ever since...no reason to move Love, hes a cheap backup at 3.3 mil this yr.

Freak Out
03-10-2022, 02:45 AM
He's a fucking bargain at that price. Unless the colts sell the farm keep him.

King Friday
03-10-2022, 05:28 AM
I would hold on to Love unless we could get a first round pick in return for him, which is unlikely. He is a cheap option at backup QB, which is needed to help build the rest of the roster at this point. He's likely to continue to improve moving forward as he gains more experience. Love is still younger than some of the college guys coming out this year. As a backup for the next two years, you won't find a cheaper option that will be better.

Upnorth
03-10-2022, 06:54 AM
Def keep him 2 years, and next year or the year after we target qb in the draft. We now hope to have 12 for 4 more years. Still have to plan for future.

Teamcheez1
03-10-2022, 07:13 AM
Yes, the Packers need a reasonable backup QB and Love fits the bill. The real reason Gute/MLF won’t trade Love is to protect themselves. If Love shows any promise playing for another team, it only adds pressure to their employment status as they continue to come up short with AR at QB.

Tony Oday
03-10-2022, 09:45 AM
We don't need a cheap Love as backup we have Benkert who would save us more.

Fritz
03-10-2022, 10:07 AM
Bye, bye, Love.

Uh-huh. I see what you're doing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6GDGoiO8Y

I wonder if the team thinks Benkert is just as good a backup as Love is and whether they think Love still has upside.

They can keep him as the backup if they think he can develop into something good, but if they think he's ever only going to be backup QB material, and if they think Benkert can do that just as well, then, well, you're right.

I'd be amazed if they could get even a late second rounder for him. A third would even be a pleasant surprise.

Upnorth
03-10-2022, 11:51 AM
We don't need a cheap Love as backup we have Benkert who would save us more.

What little we know of love we know less of Benkert. All we have seen is some preseason.

ThunderDan
03-10-2022, 12:22 PM
Uh-huh. I see what you're doing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6GDGoiO8Y

I wonder if the team thinks Benkert is just as good a backup as Love is and whether they think Love still has upside.

They can keep him as the backup if they think he can develop into something good, but if they think he's ever only going to be backup QB material, and if they think Benkert can do that just as well, then, well, you're right.

I'd be amazed if they could get even a late second rounder for him. A third would even be a pleasant surprise.

I thought he was going for the Everly Brothers redone by Simon & Garfunkle.

Tony Oday
03-10-2022, 12:23 PM
What little we know of love we know less of Benkert. All we have seen is some preseason.

They both are not NFL Starters so take the cheaper one.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2022, 12:43 PM
My gut feeling is if Rodgers deal is structured such that he is here for several more years (eg retiring screws the Packers in cap space or it would be prohibitively hard to move on), then you have to deal Love. If it's really a one year deal with extra years to make money work, then you probably keep Love.*

* You only keep love if you think he has a future with a floor of above average starter, ceiling of super bowl winning starter. If you don't, you trade him and get the most value you can for him in a shitty QB draft.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2022, 01:11 PM
My gut feeling is if Rodgers deal is structured such that he is here for several more years (eg retiring screws the Packers in cap space or it would be prohibitively hard to move on), then you have to deal Love. If it's really a one year deal with extra years to make money work, then you probably keep Love.*

* You only keep love if you think he has a future with a floor of above average starter, ceiling of super bowl winning starter. If you don't, you trade him and get the most value you can for him in a shitty QB draft.

Very reasonable. I agree.

Upnorth
03-10-2022, 05:10 PM
They both are not NFL Starters so take the cheaper one.

In the game against kc, his first as a starter, he had a pick tipped and one where two feet difference it's a td.
I'm giving him more time. I think 3 mil for a backup is cheap. Benkert wasnt picked up of the ps when unprotected.

George Cumby
03-10-2022, 06:05 PM
I thought he was going for the Everly Brothers redone by Simon & Garfunkle.

*Ding, ding, ding!*

See Sparkey's first response.

Fritz get an honorable mention for the Cars, though. That song bangs as kids these days say.

Sparkey
03-10-2022, 08:13 PM
*Ding, ding, ding!*

See Sparkey's first response.

Fritz get an honorable mention for the Cars, though. That song bangs as kids these days say.

Chicken dinner! Haha!

Sparkey
03-10-2022, 08:15 PM
From a playing time, practice time point of view. Last year was about what you would expect in the first year. That "thing" totally fuxked up his first year. Almost as if it was a redshirt year in college

run pMc
03-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Keep him unless someone makes a compelling offer... a R3 is not enough. Love is on a cheap contract, still needs developing, and you have an aging QB. Might as well keep him. There's a pretty good chance he'll get playing time, either because of injury, covid, or the score. He's better than Benkert.

If Love demands a trade, then you have a problem because nobody will offer much for a guy who wants out and you'll be looking for a backup QB who likely either costs more or plays worse.
They won't pick up his 5th year option.

Fritz
03-11-2022, 10:42 AM
If they think he's still got upside, then you definitely keep him. You have, as others have said, a cheap backup for two more years, and one that could develop into a starting NFL QB. He looks like a skittish colt out there (not a Colt, at least not yet), and he's got a weird throwing motion, almost like a wind-up, but maybe they can settle him down and work on making him get the ball out more efficiently.

At the same time, if all they see is a bunch of "maybe" out of him, and Indy wants to give up a second (I highly doubt that but the QB class this year is garbage, apparently), well, you'd have to think about that. I don't know what they think of Benkert, and I don't know if Timmy "Hard" Boyle will be available, but a second round pick in a year you're trying to make it happen (oh, that narrow window of opportunity!) would surely be tempting. Again, though, it seems doubtful Indy would do that.

I think they keep Love for another year and work with him heavily. They really ought to know by the season's end what they have in him, and can decide accordingly. He doesn't have to be lights out, but he's got to learn and show that he is learning.

texaspackerbacker
03-11-2022, 01:31 PM
Love's trade value probably would actually go down in another year, as the other team would have control of him less years, and likely Love wouldn't gonna get much opportunity to upgrade his reputation this season with the Packers. A #2m pick for him now would be great, and I think I'd be satisfied with a #3, maybe even #4.

As for backup QB, we're basically screwed if Rodgers gets hurt regardless of who the backup is. Benkert, Boyle, or just about anybody would be adequate.

run pMc
03-11-2022, 02:54 PM
Love's trade value probably would actually go down in another year, as the other team would have control of him less years, and likely Love wouldn't gonna get much opportunity to upgrade his reputation this season with the Packers. A #2m pick for him now would be great, and I think I'd be satisfied with a #3, maybe even #4.

As for backup QB, we're basically screwed if Rodgers gets hurt regardless of who the backup is. Benkert, Boyle, or just about anybody would be adequate.

Disagree.

Giving up Love for a R3 or R4 is basically giving him away. He has value as a backup QB.
If you think the team is screwed if thy play anyone other than Rodgers at QB, then are you saying they shouldn't try to improve their QB depth or develop their next QB? If Rodgers can't go because of covid, or a bad calf, or a concussion, should MLF just have the offense punt on 1st down? The Packers don't make the playoffs in 2013 without Matt Flynn playing .500 ball for a few games until Rodgers comes back. Your backups should be able to help keep your team above water for a few games, including backup QB.

Another thing to consider:
The Lions and Bears are rebuilding, and the Vikings are aging while rolling out a new head coach. I'd argue this year with a Mac Jones/Teddy Bridgewater level starting QB they could do just fine in the NFCN. It's not impossible that Jordan Love could get GB to the playoffs.
SF has proven anything can happen in a single elimination tournament.

Tony Oday
03-11-2022, 03:13 PM
Disagree.

Giving up Love for a R3 or R4 is basically giving him away. He has value as a backup QB.
If you think the team is screwed if thy play anyone other than Rodgers at QB, then are you saying they shouldn't try to improve their QB depth or develop their next QB? If Rodgers can't go because of covid, or a bad calf, or a concussion, should MLF just have the offense punt on 1st down? The Packers don't make the playoffs in 2013 without Matt Flynn playing .500 ball for a few games until Rodgers comes back. Your backups should be able to help keep your team above water for a few games, including backup QB.

The Lions and Bears are rebuilding, and the Vikings are aging while rolling out a new head coach. I'd argue this year with a Mac Jones/Teddy Bridgewater level starting QB they could do just fine in the NFCN. It's not impossible that Jordan Love could get GB to the playoffs.

ZERO value as a backup except he is decent enough at holding a clip board. He is trash. He couldnt win a game if the other team didn't show. R3 Pick would be AMAZING for him.

Bretsky
03-11-2022, 08:51 PM
Disagree.

Wait, if AROD was injured you'd want Love as our QB ?

If the answer is yes I guess you keep him.

run pMc
03-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Wait, if AROD was injured you'd want Love as our QB ?

If the answer is yes I guess you keep him.

If Rodgers was injured I wouldn't mind Joe Burrow as our QB, but that isn't happening. A Year 3 Jordan Love should be able to at least be enough of a game manager to keep them afloat for a couple of games. Now I certainly don't think he's a franchise QB, but you could do a lot worse at backup QB.

For those who think he's worthless and "anyone but Rodgers" means it's hopeless, then are you saying they shouldn't even hold a roster spot for a backup?

red
03-12-2022, 09:00 AM
releasing or trading love this year adds another 4 million onto our already shitty cap situation

Bretsky
03-12-2022, 09:12 AM
If Rodgers was injured I wouldn't mind Joe Burrow as our QB, but that isn't happening. A Year 3 Jordan Love should be able to at least be enough of a game manager to keep them afloat for a couple of games. Now I certainly don't think he's a franchise QB, but you could do a lot worse at backup QB.

For those who think he's worthless and "anyone but Rodgers" means it's hopeless, then are you saying they shouldn't even hold a roster spot for a backup?

Nobody is saying that; but some might argue we can sign an equally capable backup and take the draft capital while you can get it. Whether it's Love, Fitzmagic, or Chase Daniels....etc....we'd be on life support w/o Rodgers for any extended time anyways

run pMc
03-12-2022, 11:03 AM
Based on what little we've seen on him, I agree the team would struggle with any backup for an extended time. That's how the NFL is. There aren't enough starting caliber QBs currently, much less decent backups. Fitzpatrick made $10M last year, Daniels was making over 4 when Detroit cut him. Jordan Love has been in their system and should know the offense by now, and he makes $3M. Unless someone makes a good trade offer I don't see any upside to releasing or letting him go...especially given their cap situation.

You still need a halfway-capable cheap backup, he fits that description.

To be clear, I was not a fan of him being drafted, and I don't think he's the answer in their quest for continued excellence at QB beyond 2025. His fundamentals are still iffy and his accuracy even in college didn't match Rodgers at Cal. I do think that if Rodgers goes out with a concussion in the 3Q up 24-14, Jordan Love can get them out of that game. Love going a full 17 games and winning the NFCN as a starter is harder to imagine, but if I squint (i.e., give Gute/MLF a lot of credit, they have some luck) it's possible.

I understand the logic of drafting QB prospect and developing them, especially with an aging QB on the roster. I also think if you trade him for a late Day 2/early Day 3 pick you are selling low on a stock you paid a price for before you've seen it all the way through.

I could see them being talked in trading him along with pick swaps (i.e., Love and their R1 for a higher R1) if there's a player they really um... love... but I have a feeling they want to keep him one more year just because he's cheap and their cap is a mess this year.

Upnorth
03-12-2022, 12:47 PM
Nobody is saying that; but some might argue we can sign an equally capable backup and take the draft capital while you can get it. Whether it's Love, Fitzmagic, or Chase Daniels....etc....we'd be on life support w/o Rodgers for any extended time anyways

So trade him for at very best a second, give us another 4mil cap hit plus another 1ish minimum for a backup like Benkert. No he'll no never nope.

Gotta be stupid to think that helps us this year.
Not only are you losing a 3rd yr in system qb you are losing another player somewhere to make up for the cap hit.

NewsBruin
03-12-2022, 03:07 PM
If Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-47621/) is correct, Jordan costs us $1.7M in salary this season, with two more seasons of $1.6M cap hits for his signing bonus. It looks like his 2023 salary is guaranteed (not sure how that would factor in a trade).

I'm reading that right, we'd save $1.7m on this year's cap by trading him and immediately lose $3.2m from the salary cap from the signing bonus. If we cut him, we're out all $6M+ against the cap. I think we have to keep him unless he's an absolute lockerroom cancer.

red
03-12-2022, 07:47 PM
If Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-47621/) is correct, Jordan costs us $1.7M in salary this season, with two more seasons of $1.6M cap hits for his signing bonus. It looks like his 2023 salary is guaranteed (not sure how that would factor in a trade).

I'm reading that right, we'd save $1.7m on this year's cap by trading him and immediately lose $3.2m from the salary cap from the signing bonus. If we cut him, we're out all $6M+ against the cap. I think we have to keep him unless he's an absolute lockerroom cancer.

you're reading it right, IMO, you're over reading things a bit

the 2022 cap number is what he counts against the cap this year. the dead cap is what he counts if we cut or trade him. you just replace one number with the other if he's traded. just makes life easier

i was using numbers from over the cap, and they're number is just a bit higher. no clue whos numbers are closer

either way, he would count an extra 3-4 million or so against the cap if he is traded then he would if we keep him

so i agree it would be pretty dumb to trade him this year unless we get just an amazing offer, and theres no way we're getting that

Fritz
03-13-2022, 09:22 AM
Based on what little we've seen on him, I agree the team would struggle with any backup for an extended time. That's how the NFL is. There aren't enough starting caliber QBs currently, much less decent backups. Fitzpatrick made $10M last year, Daniels was making over 4 when Detroit cut him. Jordan Love has been in their system and should know the offense by now, and he makes $3M. Unless someone makes a good trade offer I don't see any upside to releasing or letting him go...especially given their cap situation.

You still need a halfway-capable cheap backup, he fits that description.

To be clear, I was not a fan of him being drafted, and I don't think he's the answer in their quest for continued excellence at QB beyond 2025. His fundamentals are still iffy and his accuracy even in college didn't match Rodgers at Cal. I do think that if Rodgers goes out with a concussion in the 3Q up 24-14, Jordan Love can get them out of that game. Love going a full 17 games and winning the NFCN as a starter is harder to imagine, but if I squint (i.e., give Gute/MLF a lot of credit, they have some luck) it's possible.

I understand the logic of drafting QB prospect and developing them, especially with an aging QB on the roster. I also think if you trade him for a late Day 2/early Day 3 pick you are selling low on a stock you paid a price for before you've seen it all the way through.

I could see them being talked in trading him along with pick swaps (i.e., Love and their R1 for a higher R1) if there's a player they really um... love... but I have a feeling they want to keep him one more year just because he's cheap and their cap is a mess this year.

And all those people talking about how turrible Love is . . . did anyone watch Tim Boyle play for Detroit last year? He was awful - way, way worse than Jared Goff. Did anyone see Chase Daniels play at all? He's also turrible, as Barkely would say.

How are either of those guys that much better than Love?

Joemailman
03-13-2022, 10:16 AM
And all those people talking about how turrible Love is . . . did anyone watch Tim Boyle play for Detroit last year? He was awful - way, way worse than Jared Goff. Did anyone see Chase Daniels play at all? He's also turrible, as Barkely would say.

How are either of those guys that much better than Love?

I don't understand why people are so down on Love. Playing the 2nd half at Detroit he was out there with the 2nd string offense against Detroit's starters. In 6 possessions, he produced 3 scores (2TD's and 1 FG) in 6 possessions. Aaron Rodgers produced 2 scores in he 1st half playing with Packer starters. Of the 3 possessions in the 2nd half that did not produce scores, 1 ended with an INT that went off Amari Rodgers' hands, 1 ended with a fumble by Winfree after Love completed a short pass to him, and the last one ended with an INT in a situation where the Packers started at their own 25 with 40 seconds left and no time outs. Don't get me wrong. Love was far from perfect. But he made some things happen with a poor supporting cast around him. Anyone who thinks the Packers would be just as well off with Kurt Benkert as the backup is delusional.

George Cumby
03-13-2022, 10:48 AM
I still have hope for Love.

He improved in the playing time he had.

He's still thinking too much.

Maybe he figures it out, maybe not.

I just don't see keeping him long-term with this new Rodgers contract.

Joemailman
03-13-2022, 10:51 AM
I still have hope for Love.

He improved in the playing time he had.

He's still thinking too much.

Maybe he figures it out, maybe not.

I just don't see keeping him long-term with this new Rodgers contract.

I agree. He needs to be able to process things a little faster. He has a tendency to get hit while throwing (That's how he got hurt in preseason), or have balls tipped at the line.

Upnorth
03-14-2022, 10:05 PM
I look at the kc game as well. He didnt play bad at all. The KC d started a run with that game.
1 tipped pick. Had poor protection against an aggressive pass rush. His scrambling reminded me of favre

NewsBruin
03-14-2022, 11:37 PM
The Love games I watched were kind of a blur, but I thought he improved a lot by the time he had to fill in for Rodgers' positive test. Maybe it was the gameplan, maybe it was checkdowns, but his earlier games' passes were all close to the LOS (even if they were distant laterally). His last start had more downfield attempts that didn't rely on YAC to get a first down.

Fritz
03-15-2022, 08:57 AM
Maybe in another two years, we'll all be saying "All you need is Love."

Teamcheez1
03-15-2022, 09:05 AM
I wonder what management is telling Love? I wonder where Love stands in all of this?

If the end game didn’t include me (which it’s hard to believe it doesn’t look that way), I would ask for a trade.

Fritz
03-15-2022, 09:07 AM
Is there any chance that they let Rodgers start for two more years, send him off into the sunset with cheers and celebration, and pick up that fifth-year option on Love to get a bead on him, and if he looks like the real deal in that fifth year, they extend him?

I know that's a bit of a stretch, but is it realistically possible?

One thing I realize - myself included - is that we don't ever really account for the possibility of a certain famous QB getting seriously hurt . . . and thus seeing Love on the stage for a period of time. There are lots of things that can happen.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2022, 10:26 AM
Is there any chance that they let Rodgers start for two more years, send him off into the sunset with cheers and celebration, and pick up that fifth-year option on Love to get a bead on him, and if he looks like the real deal in that fifth year, they extend him?

One thing I realize - myself included - is that we don't ever really account for the possibility of a certain famous QB getting seriously hurt . . . and thus seeing Love on the stage for a period of time. There are lots of things that can happen.

Love

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2022, 10:38 AM

Love’s option have to be picked up or declined after the upcoming season. Would it be wise to pick up the option on an unproven player? The Blue Panthers picked up Darnold’s option and now they’re on the hook for his $18M salary. And the Blue Panthers are serious about acquiring the infamous Watson.

Like I said when the Gunslinger unretired back in ‘08, the Packers shoulda welcomed the Gunslinger back with open arm. Had Butte proved that his Kung Fu was as awesome as the Wu-Tang Clan, he woulda been eligible for the franchise tag. The Packers returned virtually the same team that was a Favre non-pick away from the Super Bowl, and proceeded to go 6-10. Incompetent, thy name was Ted Thompson.

Point being, don’t pick up Love’s option. If he shows any Kung Fu worth a fuck, tag him after his 4th season, and ship Butte off to Siberia.

Love’s option have to be picked up or declined after the upcoming season. Would it be wise to pick up the option on an unproven player? The Blue Panthers picked up Darnold’s option and now they’re on the hook for his $18M salary. And the Blue Panthers are serious about acquiring the infamous Watson.

Like I said when the Gunslinger unretired back in ‘08, the Packers shoulda welcomed the Gunslinger back with open arm. Had Butte proved that his Kung Fu was as awesome as the Wu-Tang Clan, he woulda been eligible for the franchise tag. The Packers returned virtually the same team that was a Favre non-pick away from the Super Bowl, and proceeded to go 6-10. Incompetent, thy name was Ted Thompson.

Point being, don’t pick up Love’s option. If he shows any Kung Fu worth a fuck, tag him after his 4th season, and ship Butte off to Siberia.

George Cumby
03-15-2022, 10:46 AM

This is why I was one of the only ones good with the Love pick.

Injuries fucking happen and Rodgers looked to be in decline until they picked up Love.

Anything can happen.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 12:03 PM
The best thing would be to trade Love now when they probably can get the most for him, second or third round pick hopefully - because the team getting him would have control for more years and because this supposedly is a bad year for QBs in the draft. Either Benkert or some retread they could pick up cheap will do as a back up. Draft Rodgers' replacement a year or two at most before he is projected to be gone.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:05 PM
This is why I was one of the only ones good with the Love pick.

Injuries fucking happen and Rodgers looked to be in decline until they picked up Love.

Anything can happen.

Could not agree more.
I had issues with live pick for about 48 hrs, then understood there plan.
I we pick up loves 5th year at the end of the season it means we likely have another decade plus of great qbing and that is the best possible outcome.
If we don't it means new draft pick next year on qb and we hope that one is the long term future.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:08 PM
The best thing would be to trade Love now when they probably can get the most for him, second or third round pick hopefully - because the team getting him would have control for more years and because this supposedly is a bad year for QBs in the draft. Either Benkert or some retread they could pick up cheap will do as a back up. Draft Rodgers' replacement a year or two at most before he is projected to be gone.

Not only does it hurt the cap this year to tge tune of and extra 4 million, but it forces us to turn that pick into the replacement player we have to take to make up for who we now need to release for cap reasons. Sometimes its better to work with what you know.
A 2nd would be ok but still not worth the extra risk imo.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 12:12 PM
Good point about the higher cap number if they get rid of him. If that can't somehow be overcome, then we keep him another year, show him off in the preseason, and hopefully we can get something worthwhile for him a year from now.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:21 PM
Good point about the higher cap number if they get rid of him. If that can't somehow be overcome, then we keep him another year, show him off in the preseason, and hopefully we can get something worthwhile for him a year from now.

I want him to be so good we have to pick up the 5th year option. Rodgers plays the next 2 years. Then love is our next future hof.
I dont think that is how it plays out but that is what I want.

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 12:28 PM
Yeah, we all want a third HOFer after Rodgers is gone. I doubt Love is it primarily because in his time here, he didn't seem to absorb Rodgers' best quality, the prevention of interceptions. I want whoever comes next to observe and be Rodgers-like in that way more than anything else.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 12:47 PM
Yeah, we all want a third HOFer after Rodgers is gone. I doubt Love is it primarily because in his time here, he didn't seem to absorb Rodgers' best quality, the prevention of interceptions. I want whoever comes next to observe and be Rodgers-like in that way more than anything else.

Rodgers is a massive massive massive exception to ints. Comparing someone to him is like saying I want them to have a Huston sized impact on the position.
Rodgers is in the top 5 in history. And arguably #1 in history.
I'm happy with a Favre level of play, and yet that statement is ridiculous as well.

Fuck its good to be a packers fan (that cap is imaginary, the cap is imaginary)

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 01:10 PM
Exactly my point about interceptions. It's more a matter of mindset than accuracy. There are other very very accurate throwers, but nobody including Love has the mindset not to throw picks. Whoever the next guy is, hopefully they can pound that mindset into him. The cap isn't imaginary, but it IS beatable. And hell yeah, it's GREAT to be a Packer fan.

King Friday
03-15-2022, 01:15 PM
Despite Rodgers talent, he still only has one ring.

There are far more important factors than avoiding INTs.

bobblehead
03-15-2022, 01:37 PM
Exactly my point about interceptions. It's more a matter of mindset than accuracy. There are other very very accurate throwers, but nobody including Love has the mindset not to throw picks. Whoever the next guy is, hopefully they can pound that mindset into him. The cap isn't imaginary, but it IS beatable. And hell yeah, it's GREAT to be a Packer fan.

We have $25 million dead cap money this year. Rodgers hit in 2024 makes it tough to keep him. If we move on there is $70 million dead money. I said this is a 2 year window. It might be 3 to have rodgers as QB but basically 2024 and 2025 are years we no longer have a shot at the owl. Based on the last 3 years playoffs i question if we can win now.

NewsBruin
03-15-2022, 01:44 PM
The only way I'd trade Love would be if one of the Deshaun Watson contest losers offers us a youngish starter with all but the minimum salary converted to a March 14 roster bonus.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2022, 01:44 PM
We have $25 million dead cap money this year. Rodgers hit in 2024 makes it tough to keep him. If we move on there is $70 million dead money. I said this is a 2 year window. It might be 3 to have rodgers as QB but basically 2024 and 2025 are years we no longer have a shot at the owl. Based on the last 3 years playoffs i question if we can win now.

It's all going to work out. They aren't winning anything post Rodgers anyway. They are gonna need to rebuild and that's fine. I am 100% on board with #TeamTradeLove and get a player now so you have a contributor for two of the three years if you're lucky. The goal is to a super bowl within the next three years and ignore the future IMHO. I'm 100% on board with that.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2022, 01:46 PM
Could not agree more.
I had issues with live pick for about 48 hrs, then understood there plan.
I we pick up loves 5th year at the end of the season it means we likely have another decade plus of great qbing and that is the best possible outcome.
If we don't it means new draft pick next year on qb and we hope that one is the long term future.

The salary of the fifth year option is guaranteed. That’s why the Blue Panthers haven’t cut Darnold, whose play certainly ain’t worth $18M.

You wanna pick up Love’s option and risk paying him, perhaps, $22M to be a bum QB?

King Friday
03-15-2022, 03:24 PM
Some of you do not read well.

Trading Love results in a larger cap hit than retaining him for 2022...on top of the fact that you would then need a new backup QB.

There is NO reason to get rid of Love, which is why the Packers will retain him in 2022.

Upnorth
03-15-2022, 03:27 PM
The salary of the fifth year option is guaranteed. That’s why the Blue Panthers haven’t cut Darnold, whose play certainly ain’t worth $18M.

You wanna pick up Love’s option and risk paying him, perhaps, $22M to be a bum QB?

My point is the packers know this better than we do. It is fully guarenteed. I hope they pick up loves option as that tells me he is going to be great. You don't take that gamble unless you already know the result (baring injury).

Love 5th year being picked up would be a god srnd to us as fans of another decade of great teams (baring injury)

texaspackerbacker
03-15-2022, 06:02 PM

Trading Love results in a larger cap hit than retaining him for 2022...on top of the fact that you would then need a new backup QB.

There is NO reason to get rid of Love, which is why the Packers will retain him in 2022.

So it comes down to a choice: trade him for a second or third round pick and get an extra $4 million cap hit (assuming that figure is correct) OR keep him as a back up for another year and probably get less in trade for him after next season. I'm about 50/50 on which is the better option.

Good Point about the Packers knowing better, Upnorth. I tend to think, though, that they will not think that Love is gonna be great.

George Cumby
03-15-2022, 06:05 PM
My point is the packers know this better than we do. It is fully guarenteed. I hope they pick up loves option as that tells me he is going to be great. You don't take that gamble unless you already know the result (baring injury).

Love 5th year being picked up would be a god srnd to us as fans of another decade of great teams (baring injury)

Yup.

Keeping Love under Rodgers for a couple years only helps Love, provided Rodgers doesn't fuck with the kid's head.

bobblehead
03-15-2022, 07:31 PM
Interesting. No one thinks about what Love might be thinking. If you sit me behind Rodgers for all 5 years and then want to sign me after not allowing me to prosper and get a big deal earlier I might not be inclined to let you off very easy. I might be inclined to demand a ludicrous contract and if you refused it, I would hit the FA market.

Joemailman
03-15-2022, 07:37 PM

Correct.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2022, 08:25 PM
Interesting. No one thinks about what Love might be thinking. If you sit me behind Rodgers for all 5 years and then want to sign me after not allowing me to prosper and get a big deal earlier I might not be inclined to let you off very easy. I might be inclined to demand a ludicrous contract and if you refused it, I would hit the FA market.

Why would he want to be here? They will move him because

Why would he want to be here? They will move him because it’s rude as fuck to the player. Players want to play. Even if he is worth more behind Rodgers (he’s not) it is a really bad idea to not let a player start their career. Players want to play and have a chance to earn their money and build their legacy. He isn’t a late round pick career back-up type guy. He probably won’t be a good starter but he deserves the chance to try and figure that out.We

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2022, 08:51 PM
Unless they can get a top 50 pick, they’ll keep him for a year as a solid backup, hope he plays well in the preseason and then look to trade him next year.

bobblehead
03-16-2022, 03:29 PM
It's all going to work out. They aren't winning anything post Rodgers anyway. They are gonna need to rebuild and that's fine. I am 100% on board with #TeamTradeLove and get a player now so you have a contributor for two of the three years if you're lucky. The goal is to a super bowl within the next three years and ignore the future IMHO. I'm 100% on board with that.

Spoken like a true millennial. I know a lot of people my age who had to party when they were young and now cry all the way to work everyday. In the meantime I take ski vacations so APB can call me racist!

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 11:01 AM
Spoken like a true millennial. I know a lot of people my age who had to party when they were young and now cry all the way to work everyday. In the meantime I take ski vacations so APB can call me racist!

Ha you and I are in the same boat. Team investment in your twenties.

BUT IMO if you can get a three this year or a two next year, those are worth the same value in today's value. I would rather roll the dice with the pick now and hope to get a contributor that helps with the three year clock that started last week. Assuming it takes a year to ramp up, that gives them a contributor for two years if they pick the right dude. If they trade next year with a ramp up, they get one year with the contributor to win a super bowl. I'd rather get the player this year all things equal.

The cap is gonna be fine though. Really it is. They have experts that do this. Every team that has a decent QB is in the same boat. It will work out. I am not worried about it. Draft well and they'll be fine. They will obviously lose some guys eventually but that is just part of 30 years of sustained success. They will suck for a year like they did when they transitioned to Rodgers than they'll get right back after it and do great if they have the right QB post-Rodgers.

run pMc
03-18-2022, 08:15 AM
They won't exercise the option on Love unless he really shows something between now and September. You don't pay a backup that guaranteed money. Once his contract ends he'll look elsewhere and sign with some QB needy team for a chance to compete to start, and GB will get a comp pick and keep looking for life at QB after Rodgers.

Agree with others that if you trade him away you have both a cap hit and a gap in your depth chart to fill, unless you think Benkert or random guy off the street is better. I'd rather have Jordan Love than Mike Glennon as the backup.
They just traded Adams and have the comp picks; it's not like they don't have any picks. Also, this draft class is not considered good for QBs.