PDA

View Full Version : Davante Adams traded?

Rastak
03-17-2022, 06:47 PM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Blockbuster: Packers are trading Pro-Bowl WR Davante Adams to the Las Vegas Raiders for two prime 2022 picks, league sources tell ESPN.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was aware of trade talks surrounding Davante Adams in recent days before the blockbuster deal was completed, per sources. It appeared the deal was dead Wednesday; it came back to life and now Adams is about to join the #Raiders.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/17/reports-packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders/

King Friday
03-17-2022, 06:50 PM
Butte is a fucking fool....take $100m for 4 years and keep Adams.

The Packers just checkmated Rodgers after all the talk about how Rodgers showed the Packers whose boss.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2022, 06:52 PM
Wow now punk ass won’t have anyone he trust to throw it to when he chokes next year in the playoffs.

Nice job greedy dbag Erin Rogers.

Rastak
Sounds like a first round pick coming back to GB.

ThunderDan
What the hell?

Could you see ARod demanding a trade now?

Rastak
03-17-2022, 06:53 PM
What the hell?

Impossible with the cap, right? Green Bay did it in the right order. They got picks so they can get someone in. Maybe not as good but on a rookie deal.

King Friday
03-17-2022, 06:54 PM
What the hell?

He has no leverage now if he wants the cash.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2022, 06:54 PM
What the hell?

Could you see ARod demanding a trade now?could it be the deal for Rogers was set up for when he gets traded during the draft?

King Friday
03-17-2022, 06:57 PM
Adams is also an idiot. Why not take $4m a year less and play with Rodgers. The Raiders will be at the bottom of the AFC for the rest of Adams career. The Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers are all better in their division.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 06:58 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Per a source, the Packers we’re willing to pay Adams equally to what the Raiders are with this new deal but Adams preferred to play elsewhere.

Aaron Rodgers was aware of the developments with Adams as they unfolded in recent days.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Adams is also an idiot. Why not take $4m a year less and play with Rodgers. The Raiders will be at the bottom of the AFC for the rest of Adams career. The Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers are all better in their division.Maybe he preferred to be on the team that almost beat the Super Bowl runner-up on the road. Instead of being the team that choked bad at home again.

Upnorth
If we only got a 1st round I'm disappointed. Rodgers contract eliminates a trade.

Cordelia patterson and juju still on market. Can afford both. And Lafluer could really mess with a d. Patterson Lazard dillion and tonyon...
Or juju mvs jones...

Bith are good combos that will break d.

King Friday
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Per a source, the Packers we’re willing to pay Adams equally to what the Raiders are with this new deal but Adams preferred to play elsewhere.

Aaron Rodgers was aware of the developments with Adams as they unfolded in recent days.

Then Adams is even more of an idiot.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:02 PM
There have been reports Packers were interested in Jarvis Landry. Probably really interested now.

King Friday
03-17-2022, 07:02 PM
Maybe he preferred to be on the team that almost beat the Super Bowl runner-up on the road. Instead of being the team that choked bad at home again.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

King Friday
03-17-2022, 07:03 PM
There have been reports Packers were interested in Jarvis Landry. Probably really interested now.

Meh.

Tony Oday
03-17-2022, 07:05 PM
Well maybe AR will spread the ball around now instead of throwing into a double covered DA.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:08 PM
If we only got a 1st round I'm disappointed. Rodgers contract eliminates a trade.

Cordelia patterson and juju still on market. Can afford both. And Lafluer could really mess with a d. Patterson Lazard dillion and tonyon...
Or juju mvs jones...

Bith are good combos that will break d.

There are reports it's multiple picks. Raiders have picks 22, 53, 86.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 07:10 PM
Double post

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 07:11 PM
There are reports it's multiple picks. Raiders have picks 22, 53, 86.

Yes please.

green_bowl_packer
03-17-2022, 07:14 PM
Saw this 2 weeks ago - Raiders Rumors: 5-Time Pro Bowl Free Agent Buys $12 Million Vegas Mansion
https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-house-rumors/

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2022, 07:17 PM
This is a shocker, but with all the WRs available as free agents, it may not be that bad. Get a couple of good ones plus probably a first round pick, I'll take that. Better Rodgers without Adams than Adams without Rodgers, despite what the negativist piss ants in here might say.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:20 PM
Nagler says it's 1st and 2nd round pick.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:24 PM
Bring back MVS, Douglas, Tonyan and draft a WR with pick 22.

jmbarnes101
03-17-2022, 07:30 PM
If we didn’t get Waller, Moreau, or Renfrow out of this trade Gutes needs to go. We had one offensive receiving weapon last year and we just traded him away.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:33 PM
If we didn’t get Waller, Moreau, or Renfrow out of this trade Gutes needs to go. We had one offensive receiving weapon last year and we just traded him away.

One that Rodgers would throw to.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 07:37 PM
Will fuller available? Him and mvs. Both are 50% so just throw to both of them all the time. D gets gassed and we score 700 pts on the season.

That's reasonable right?

Seriously he could play in a rotation and maybe not get hurt.

Also we should look at keenan Cole. Good receiver with the worst qbs. Bet rodgers makes him all pro

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Ignore

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 07:56 PM
1st and 2nd. Love Davante, but it

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 07:57 PM
Will fuller available? Him and mvs. Both are 50% so just throw to both of them all the time. D gets gassed and we score 700 pts on the season.

That's reasonable right?

Seriously he could play in a rotation and maybe not get hurt.

Also we should look at keenan Cole. Good receiver with the worst qbs. Bet rodgers makes him all pro

Fuller has been limited to 55 games in 6 seasons due to injuries.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 07:57 PM
Not sure what’s going on with the forum, but my post keeps getting chopped off.

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2022, 07:59 PM
It’s the right move. Davante gets $28.5m/year from the Raiders.

Teamcheez1
03-17-2022, 08:00 PM
Makes me wonder what the relationship was between AR and Davante. From all appearances, DA was sick of AR’s shenanigans.

Jereamiah
03-17-2022, 08:06 PM
Hard to tell what he is doing. Maybe he was just buzzed up, drunk-tweeting. It happens. Been reading alot of interesting posts and replies in here. Seeing some realists who accept the fact that the team will look drastically different come June and I am seeing some completely deluded homers who swear up and down that the cap does not matter, and that Rodgers and Adams and basically the whole team will be back, and that next year, next year is THE YEAR. I suspect that the reality of your teams pending offseason moves will be somewhere in between those two scenerios. They WILL tag Adams, if only to buy time to keep negotiating with him. They can't come to an agreement? He gets traded. Bottom line, there is no way, none, that the Packers retain both Rodgers and Adams. There just isn't. It's one or the other, not both, and probably, both are gone. Doesn't matter which one of those two are gone, the result will be a very different team. In my opinion, Rodgers is traded, Adams is tagged, and is traded after the Packers simply refuse to pay him what he is asking to be paid. Posted this awhile back

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Bring back MVS, Douglas, Tonyan and draft a WR with pick 22.

No to MVS. Yes to the rest.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2022, 08:07 PM
This is a shocker, but with all the WRs available as free agents, it may not be that bad. Get a couple of good ones plus probably a first round pick, I'll take that. Better Rodgers without Adams than Adams without Rodgers, despite what the negativist piss ants in here might say.As one of the pissants I really wanna know wiseone what makes Rogers such a treasure??? He hasn’t done shit since his SB win. Had a really good defense in 2010 though and didn’t have to play on his cursed grounds a.k.a. Lambeau Field. He has embarrassed the organization and fans several times over the years so why is he such a big deal to you? Never found you the type to accept mediocrity.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:09 PM
Makes me wonder what the relationship was between AR and Davante. From all appearances, DA was sick of AR’s shenanigans.

I don’t think so at all. Devante and his girl hang out with the Cobbs and Baktiaris. This is a weird one. Maybe they just wanted to move back out west. He is a great player and a legit number one but I honestly do not think he is as good as some folks think. I mean that, not trolling, but I do think he is the benefactor of Rodgers throwing to him. Rodgers might be better next year without him.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:11 PM
Woulda been nice to get in the Allen Zeobinson sweepstakes tho.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:14 PM

Maybe. Or maybe he would rather play his late season games in the warm climes of the AFCW rather than frozen Lambeau.

George Cumby
03-17-2022, 08:14 PM
Welp.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:19 PM
Welp.

Welp, what?

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:20 PM
Woulda been nice to get in the Allen Zeobinson sweepstakes tho.

Yeah, the timing sucked.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:24 PM
Yeah, the timing sucked.

Meh, I think they likely have known this was coming for awhile. Man, what a crappy thing. I am guessing he just wants to be out west now that he has made his money and has a kid with another one the way. I can’t make any sense of it beyond that, which fair enough. At least they got something for him.

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 08:29 PM
Doesn't seem we showed DA enough love early on and he decided he wanted out.

Now that Adams is gone............makes you re think whether we should have blown the ship up :))

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:30 PM
Man now they’re flush with cap space. I’m just saying Fletcher Cox would be a great veteran addition and fundamentally change this team.

Then I sell JLo and draft 3 WR. Totally reboot the spot and hope one is a stud. Get the ACL guy. Sign Julio. Call it good.

Two R1 receivers. Let’s go. Maybe an Edge too. Let’s roll.

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Three to four more years with AROD wouldn't landed Adams in the HOF

I'm not sure he gets the inflated stats in Oakland. Grass isn't always greener....aka...Greg Jennings.

Then again, I think this was about Adams getting love and incredibly wealthy

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:31 PM
Meh, I think they likely have known this was coming for awhile. Man, what a crappy thing. I am guessing he just wants to be out west now that he has made his money and has a kid with another one the way. I can’t make any sense of it beyond that, which fair enough. At least they got something for him.

I agree. What I meant was it's too bad they couldn't get this deal done sooner so they would have had the cap room to go after Robinson if they wanted to.

pittstang5
03-17-2022, 08:34 PM
I'm more interested in the compensation. I've heard a 1st and a 2nd. Then I've heard a 1st and potentially more picks and a player. Guess we wait and see.

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 08:35 PM
I'm more interested in the compensation. I've heard a 1st and a 2nd. Then I've heard a 1st and potentially more picks and a player. Guess we wait and see.

NFL Network reported it's a confirmed 1st and 2nd and that's it

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 08:35 PM
Think they can flip that R1 for DK?

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 08:37 PM
Think they can flip that R1 for DK?

for who ??

Bossman641
03-17-2022, 08:38 PM
DK Metcalf

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 08:40 PM
That would be a funny deal; TANK gets his wish in the end :)

scharpcheddar
03-17-2022, 08:48 PM
Lol I just came here for the melt down

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 08:50 PM
March 4: Reports that Davante Adams has bought house in Las Vegas
March 8: Packers place franchise tag on Adams
March 15: Adams says he won't play under franchise tag
Match 17: Packers trade Adams to Las Vegas

Any chance Raiders were tampering? Did they tell Adams to refuse to work out a deal with Packers, and they'll work out a trade?

George Cumby
03-17-2022, 08:51 PM
DK Metcalf

Hahahahahahaha

George Cumby
03-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Welp, what?

Sometimes, just 'welp'.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 09:13 PM

Any chance Raiders were tampering? Did they tell Adams to refuse to work out a deal with Packers, and they'll work out a trade?

Maybe tampering but everyone does it. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. There was a rando on Twitter who said last week that they did something with Adams agent or something and it was a done deal to be announced next Thur - which was today. So that’s a little unusual and maybe a lucky guess but the rando was oddly specific and made me think maybe it was accurate - turns out it was.

Honestly I don’t mind. R1 and R2 + Julio > Adams IMO. Maybe I am having dreams of a Peppers type performance for Hulio.

Spaulding
03-17-2022, 09:16 PM
SCORE!

We don't commit bank money to a WR on the wrong side of 30, we hopefully now force Rodgers from his tunnel vision to Davante to instead spread the ball around and we get two top 60 picks. Add to that the money we cleared to be able to tag Davante and we have the ability to fortify the WR department and possibly resign Douglas or Tonyan or anybody else Gutes thinks is worthy.

I am ecstatic about this. Bring on the draft as we have two #1's, 2 #2's, a 3rd and 2 #4's.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 09:21 PM
Maybe tampering but everyone does it. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. There was a rando on Twitter who said last week that they did something with Adams agent or something and it was a done deal to be announced next Thur - which was today. So that’s a little unusual and maybe a lucky guess but the rando was oddly specific and made me think maybe it was accurate - turns out it was.

Honestly I don’t mind. R1 and R2 + Julio > Adams IMO. Maybe I am having dreams of a Peppers type performance for Hulio.

Julio has missed 7 games each of the last 2 years. I'd go after a guy like Keelan Cole. Had 750 yards last year for a terrible Jacksonville team.

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 09:33 PM
As part of the trade, Packers have the 53rd pick. 8 years ago, Davante Adams was the 53rd pick.

Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, David Bell, John Metchie, George Pickens all possibilities.

Willard
03-17-2022, 09:58 PM
I just scored the last Rodgers-to-Adams touchdown ball on eBay for $500k!

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 10:08 PM
I just scored the last Rodgers-to-Adams touchdown ball on eBay for $500k!

Solid move. What could go wrong?

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2022, 10:57 PM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1504667040577118209

Final thought (for now) on the Davante Adams trade: His agents Frank Bauer and Kenny Chapman confirm that the #Packers offered more money than the contract he’ll sign in Las Vegas.

Simply, it was his lifelong dream to be with the #Raiders.

Upnorth
03-17-2022, 11:03 PM
Julio has missed 7 games each of the last 2 years. I'd go after a guy like Keelan Cole. Had 750 yards last year for a terrible Jacksonville team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ColeKe00.htm

I believe Minshew is by far the best qb he has had throw to him. And I think he will be cheap. Great pick up.

Juju or Patterson would be great on this team. The draftv2 more in 2nd.
We can extend Alexander and still have cap room for back up tackle.

Sounds stupid but I think we maybe better without Adams for cap reasons.

On second though, we need some of that space for Douglas....

Bretsky
03-17-2022, 11:08 PM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1504667040577118209

Simply put he didn't want to return to GB; James Jones reported that he spoke with Adams and Adams was very unhappy GB Franchised him.

But KUDOS to GB for doing that; it allowed us to trade him.

IF we don't franchise Adams he just walks away and we get nothing. He had no intention of coming back.

MAYBE that is why the AROD thing took so long; maybe AROD was trying to find a way to get Devante back long term. WHO KNOWS

Joemailman
03-17-2022, 11:24 PM
Adams got what he wanted. But he might have to get used to not being in the playoffs. He'll now be in the toughest division in the NFL on a team with arguably the worst QB in the division.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 12:18 AM
Simply put he didn't want to return to GB; James Jones reported that he spoke with Adams and Adams was very unhappy GB Franchised him.

That's just cover for him wanting to go to the Raiders. The Packers would have been dumb not to. They would have gotten a 3rd in 2023--instead of a 1st and 2nd in 2022.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 12:39 AM
The Packers were 7-0 with Adams out of the lineup over the last 3 seasons.

Rodgers clearly can win without him, and maybe plays a lot smarter without him.

Enough said.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 01:08 AM

IF we don't franchise Adams he just walks away and we get nothing. He had no intention of coming back.

MAYBE that is why the AROD thing took so long; maybe AROD was trying to find a way to get Devante back long term. WHO KNOWS

Yeah, Adams has evolved into a Wu-Tang Clan, but if he doesn

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 01:08 AM

Yeah, Adams has evolved into a Wu-Tang Clan, but if he doesn’t want to be in cold, dark and dull Green Bay, and he doesn’t have to be in Green Bay, there ain’t no point in keeping him in Green Bay.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 01:10 AM
That would be a funny deal; TANK gets his wish in the end :)

Get it done! DK Metcalf in the Green and Musta Yella!

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-18-2022, 04:38 AM
The draft just got a tad more exciting..

Fritz
03-18-2022, 06:18 AM
Transcript from a March 10 meeting between Mark Murphy, Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst, and Matt LeFleur:

Mark Murphy: "Okay, we didn't get to the SB because our special teams sucked and Rodgers won't throw to anybody but Davante Adams. We've hired one of the best ST coaches in the business, so we got that part solved. Now, how can we get Aaron to stop throwing the ball only to Davante?"

Brian Gutekunst: " Well, I've got an idea on that..."

In all seriousness, though, we have to remember that these players are people with jobs, and compensation is important but not everything. Adams had a chance to make stupid money at his profession, and wanted to be able to live where he wanted to live - closer to home - and to raise his family there. He wanted to work with one of his best friends. So even if Green Bay would've matched the offer, and by all accounts they were willing to, if you were Adams those other factors would be important. And while it's true he may have had a better chance to get to a SB with Green Bay, he was with the Pack for what, eight years, and never made it. The NFL is fickle. Raising your kids in a place you - and your wife - want to live counts for a lot.

I think Davante Adams was a fantastic receiver, just fantastic. I enjoyed watching him grow and develop in Green Bay, and he seems like a stand-up guy. Nobody worked harder than he did at his craft, and he didn't rock the boat. Seems like a family guy. And I think he may have been the second or third-best receiver I've ever seen in Green Bay, maybe better than Lofton and pretty close to Sterling Sharpe. I really loved watching him run routes and catch the ball. Great run.

But this does help the Packers in the sense that yes, they really did have to figure out how to get Rodgers to stop just throwing to Davante Adams. And it wasn't just the playoff game. There were several instances in which Rodgers in press conferences or interviews would talk about just getting the ball to Te. I know you want your best players to have the ball, I do, but at times it hurt the team to have Rodgers not taking what was there but forcing the issue. Problem is, if the back-shoulder wasn't there, it didn't work so well.

It also helps of course with the cap. News this morning is that now Rasul Douglas will be back, and there will still be about twelve million or so under. That means maybe Tonyan can come back, and the team can find a vet WR to help take up the slack.

It also puts pressure on Gutekunst to draft a receiver early, and to get someone who can make an immediate impact. Probably two.

But the last time I thought Gute absolutely had to draft at a certain position, he didn't at all. So who knows.

I am happy for Davante Adams, loved him as a Packer and wish him well. I am glad too for the good compensation - a first and second is pretty damn good, I think - and i hope Gutekunst uses those resources wisely.

Fosco33
03-18-2022, 06:36 AM
I’ve always been an Adams fan - even back to when all you idiots hated him here.

Then you blame Arod’s contract… and are wrong again. Just as you have been on him for lots of other things lately.

I wish DA the best and he’ll do ok with Carr. Sounds like DA always wanted to play there.

Fans are just that - fanatic. Let’s some pretending we have more than a guess on what will happen or why and enjoy the ride.

Your bitching about a top 5-10 qb and serial mvp is getting old. 12 will be fine and make the next batch of WRs look better than they are.

Go pack

red
03-18-2022, 07:16 AM
to me, something doesn't smell right

i don't buy for a second that the packers offered to match what oakland was giving. we did not need to trade him, and we sure as hell didn't need to trade him jst 2 days after he said he wasn't gonna play under the franchise tag

i also have to wonder what this does to rodgers. he signed a very team friendly deal in part to get the adams deal done. does he say fuck it now and just retire?

King Friday
03-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Adams is a great receiver and was a great Packer. He has every right to go play wherever he wants.

I think this will absolutely help Rodgers become a better QB. Just as Favre improved once Sharpe was taken away, Rodgers will now have to become more focused on executing MLFs offense instead of relying too heavily on one player. It will force Rodgers to actually go through progressions and not simply toss it up to his boy when the chips are on the line.

King Friday
03-18-2022, 07:25 AM

i don't buy for a second that the packers offered to match what oakland was giving. we did not need to trade him, and we sure as hell didn't need to trade him jst 2 days after he said he wasn't gonna play under the franchise tag

i also have to wonder what this does to rodgers. he signed a very team friendly deal in part to get the adams deal done. does he say fuck it now and just retire?

Rodgers is very close to Adams. It is clear to me now that the last dance thing was more about Adams than Rodgers.

Rodgers likely knew this was in the cards a long time ago.

red
03-18-2022, 07:41 AM
theres a guy on espn right now that keeps saying the packers fucked this up

adams was franchised. the raiders then should have signed him to an offer sheet. at that point, green bay can either match it and keep him or they let him leave and the raiders would have to give them 2- first round picks

so no, the packers did not offer to match the deal, if they did, he would be a packers because thats what the rules say

packer payroll guy demorvski just got put in his place after being told point blank what the rules are after trying to say the packers offered more

did the front office just panic or what?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-franchise-tag-what-you-need-know

non-exclusive tags allow players to negotiate with other teams. If they receive an offer, their current team has the opportunity to match. If they opt not to match the offer, they’re entitled to receive two first-round draft picks in exchange.

Fosco33
03-18-2022, 07:55 AM
Super interesting, Red.

Maybe it was verbal and Adams flat out refused. And Raiders said we will pull out if it’s 2 firsts? Then you’re stuck w/ an even worse scenario.

To me Adams leaving is more about Love not being the guy long term…

But as I said above / opinions are like assholes… we all have one and they stink.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 08:07 AM
theres a guy on espn right now that keeps saying the packers fucked this up

adams was franchised. the raiders then should have signed him to an offer sheet. at that point, green bay can either match it and keep him or they let him leave and the raiders would have to give them 2- first round picks

so no, the packers did not offer to match the deal, if they did, he would be a packers because thats what the rules say

packer payroll guy demorvski just got put in his place after being told point blank what the rules are after trying to say the packers offered more

did the front office just panic or what?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-franchise-tag-what-you-need-know

Maybe the Packers preferred 1st and 2nd this year to a 1st each of the next 2 years.

Jaire
03-18-2022, 08:12 AM
Super interesting, Red.

Maybe it was verbal and Adams flat out refused. And Raiders said we will pull out if it’s 2 firsts? Then you’re stuck w/ an even worse scenario.

To me Adams leaving is more about Love not being the guy long term…

But as I said above / opinions are like assholes… we all have one and they stink.

Interesting point.

I've been feeling for over a year that Adams should move on to a bigger market (based on many interviews he gave in the offseason before last draft). When I heard he was best friends with Carr and I thought about that division and the Raiders WR room as well as Carr's strengths -- it seemed like a perfect fit. Plus closer to home for Adams and a bigger stage. And he already bought a home in Vegas .......it was a just a matter of time. I think everyone (even AR) is happy. They will get MVS and Tonyan back for continuity in the offense and then no doubt a draft pick and an FA (at some point).

Jaire
03-18-2022, 08:20 AM

No tampering.

But Adams best friend, Derek Carr, was very open that tampering does not apply to players and Carr convinced Adams that they have a great WR core (and they now do). I think Adams has the MOST value with the Raiders. It's a win win. No WR is worth a 1 and a 2 and 30 million. This imo was the best case scenario with Adams this offseason.

The offense was anemic against San Fran because that is an excellent front four and we were without Jenkins, Bakh, Tonyan, MVS, and Dillon and had a gimpy RT switched to LT. They still should have won but for special teams, which demonstrates the depth of this team as well as HOW GREAT this defense has become. So glad we are keeping the defense together. IF the offense gets healthy, they don't need Adams (as was demonstrated in 2020 when Adams was out). They do need some fresh talent and depth on offense and have the picks to do it. I am very excited for this season.

(Adams wanted out a long time ago. I loved his play but also thought his time in GB was over. I think everyone won in this trade though the Raiders gave up an extra second or first.)

Jaire
03-18-2022, 08:23 AM

Enough said.

This.

Exactly. Just need to get some depth and STAY healthy. I feel like we just won the lottery!!!!

run pMc
03-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Sad to see DA go, wish him the best.
He's in a buzzsaw of a division; he'll get paid a LOT of money so his grandkids' grandkids will be fine. Good on him and his family.

Not sure he'll get to a AFCCG, much less a SB. It's the Raiders, and they just gave up a R1 and R2 for the chance to sign a 29 year old WR to a highest-paid-in-the-market contract. He's a great receiver and GB will really miss his production, but $28M is a lot of production to create to get appropriate value. Rodgers-to-Adams was something special and they are going to miss that. I think it explains keeping Cobb (even at a lower number, and over guys like Billy Turner) to help what will be a young and revamped WR room. I was hoping they'd make two WR picks in the draft, now I'd be shocked if they didn't. Bringing in another veteran WR is an option as well, I don't think OBJ would be the choice and Landry doesn't wow me. The FO will figure something out -- at this point I'm willing to give Gute the benefit of the doubt given he's made more good moves than bad -- but MLF will have his work cut out for him getting new WRs up to speed and having Rodgers overcoming him trust issues. I'd expect a slow start to the season for the offense, and one where they lean on the run game a bit more.

Agree with Red something is fishy about GB saying they would match, although if Adams' agents are confirming it maybe it's true.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 08:47 AM
Jaire, your mraynrand account has been reactivated for a while now. Please log out and log back on with that account. Thanks.

Jaire
03-18-2022, 08:49 AM
And more confirmation this was Adams. Adams team confirmed that the Packers offered him more money.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1504667040577118209?s=20&t=5bqo_TW-hT1MQmHuHWwagw

"Final thought (for now) on the Davante Adams trade: His agents Frank Bauer and Kenny Chapman confirm that the #Packers offered more money than the contract he’ll sign in Las Vegas.

Simply, it was his lifelong dream to be with the #Raiders." ~ Rapoport

It was fun having Adams. He joins the all time great receivers we've been so lucky to have. GB will find the next one soon. R-E-L-A-X

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 08:56 AM
Transcript from a March 10 meeting between Mark Murphy, Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst, and Matt LeFleur:

Mark Murphy: "Okay, we didn't get to the SB because our special teams sucked and Rodgers won't throw to anybody but Davante Adams. We've hired one of the best ST coaches in the business, so we got that part solved. Now, how can we get Aaron to stop throwing the ball only to Davante?"

Brian Gutekunst: " Well, I've got an idea on that..."

In all seriousness, though, we have to remember that these players are people with jobs, and compensation is important but not everything. Adams had a chance to make stupid money at his profession, and wanted to be able to live where he wanted to live - closer to home - and to raise his family there. He wanted to work with one of his best friends. So even if Green Bay would've matched the offer, and by all accounts they were willing to, if you were Adams those other factors would be important. And while it's true he may have had a better chance to get to a SB with Green Bay, he was with the Pack for what, eight years, and never made it. The NFL is fickle. Raising your kids in a place you - and your wife - want to live counts for a lot.

I think Davante Adams was a fantastic receiver, just fantastic. I enjoyed watching him grow and develop in Green Bay, and he seems like a stand-up guy. Nobody worked harder than he did at his craft, and he didn't rock the boat. Seems like a family guy. And I think he may have been the second or third-best receiver I've ever seen in Green Bay, maybe better than Lofton and pretty close to Sterling Sharpe. I really loved watching him run routes and catch the ball. Great run.

But this does help the Packers in the sense that yes, they really did have to figure out how to get Rodgers to stop just throwing to Davante Adams. And it wasn't just the playoff game. There were several instances in which Rodgers in press conferences or interviews would talk about just getting the ball to Te. I know you want your best players to have the ball, I do, but at times it hurt the team to have Rodgers not taking what was there but forcing the issue. Problem is, if the back-shoulder wasn't there, it didn't work so well.

It also helps of course with the cap. News this morning is that now Rasul Douglas will be back, and there will still be about twelve million or so under. That means maybe Tonyan can come back, and the team can find a vet WR to help take up the slack.

It also puts pressure on Gutekunst to draft a receiver early, and to get someone who can make an immediate impact. Probably two.

But the last time I thought Gute absolutely had to draft at a certain position, he didn't at all. So who knows.

I am happy for Davante Adams, loved him as a Packer and wish him well. I am glad too for the good compensation - a first and second is pretty damn good, I think - and i hope Gutekunst uses those resources wisely.

Family Guy depicts a dysfunctional family that includes, among others, a fat Irish, a gay infant and a dog that engages in interspecial sexual relations. Funny as hell, but I doubt the Fresno Freak would want his family to be anything like the Griffins.

George Cumby
03-18-2022, 09:35 AM
Adams is a great receiver and was a great Packer. He has every right to go play wherever he wants.

I think this will absolutely help Rodgers become a better QB. Just as Favre improved once Sharpe was taken away, Rodgers will now have to become more focused on executing MLFs offense instead of relying too heavily on one player. It will force Rodgers to actually go through progressions and not simply toss it up to his boy when the chips are on the line.

Yup.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 09:46 AM

This like 100% true. Great post

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:28 AM

He signed a CAP friendly deal for a 2 years. He will get a shit ton of money (metric, not U.S. shit ton). I have no clue if it was to fit Adams in. Reports are that he knew the score going in, but reports have been known to be....not true. (see me in FYI for examples).

To be honest, the 3 good players and draft resources we will get instead of signing Adams seems like a no brainer to me. If Rodgers is unhappy about it, I'm sure we can still trade him now, suck for a year as we cut pretty much anyone on a second contract, and be ready for the reset in 2023.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Interesting point.

I've been feeling for over a year that Adams should move on to a bigger market (based on many interviews he gave in the offseason before last draft). When I heard he was best friends with Carr and I thought about that division and the Raiders WR room as well as Carr's strengths -- it seemed like a perfect fit. Plus closer to home for Adams and a bigger stage. And he already bought a home in Vegas .......it was a just a matter of time. I think everyone (even AR) is happy. They will get MVS and Tonyan back for continuity in the offense and then no doubt a draft pick and an FA (at some point).

I have been a pretty big MVS fan, but rumors of him getting $10 million a year....wow, I couldn't see matching that for a guy without a 1k season.

call_me_ishmael
03-18-2022, 10:36 AM
He signed a CAP friendly deal for a 2 years. He will get a shit ton of money (metric, not U.S. shit ton). I have no clue if it was to fit Adams in. Reports are that he knew the score going in, but reports have been known to be....not true. (see me in FYI for examples).

To be honest, the 3 good players and draft resources we will get instead of signing Adams seems like a no brainer to me. If Rodgers is unhappy about it, I'm sure we can still trade him now, suck for a year as we cut pretty much anyone on a second contract, and be ready for the reset in 2023.

I think you're a smart guy, but I sometimes think you're short sighted about this stuff. Imagine if the Rams blew it up after being in cap hell to make the super bowl against NE a few years back. They tried a couple more years and were knocking on the door, but didn't quite make it. They were very much like us. On their 5th or 6th try, they finally got over the hump, despite kicking the can down the road. The Packers are very much in the same boat IMO. They're right there, they just need to tweak a little bit and get a little bit lucky. Case in point - Stafford threw the game away against the Niners and they dropped the ball. We just need our lucky break and to keep knocking on the door and eventually they will get through.

I do really believe they will win another SB before Rodgers hangs 'em up.

They didn't panic and blow it all up after last year despite underachieving in the playoffs and losing big time to the Pack. They continued to iterate and get incrementally better. We can do the same with small tweaks. They managed to move an albatross of a contract and still stay competitive. In the event that we absolutely need to, we could too.

Upnorth
03-18-2022, 10:46 AM
I think you're a smart guy, but I sometimes think you're short sighted about this stuff. Imagine if the Rams blew it up after being in cap hell to make the super bowl against NE a few years back. They tried a couple more years and were knocking on the door, but didn't quite make it. They were very much like us. On their 5th or 6th try, they finally got over the hump, despite kicking the can down the road. The Packers are very much in the same boat IMO. They're right there, they just need to tweak a little bit and get a little bit lucky. Case in point - Stafford threw the game away against the Niners and they dropped the ball. We just need our lucky break and to keep knocking on the door and eventually they will get through.

They didn't panic and blow it all up after last year despite underachieving in the playoffs and losing big time to the Pack. They continued to iterate and get incrementally better. We can do the same with small tweaks. They managed to move an albatross of a contract and still stay competitive. In the event that we absolutely need to, we could too.

I would argue trading Adams away isn't blowing it up. It does the opposite. It allows us the ability to bring in more talent and over the last 3 years We have proven we can win without him.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 10:47 AM

My opinion has shifted very much now that we aren't paying a WR 25+ million a year. I was merely setting the record straight on the Rodgers deal which was not team friendly. I also think if they paid Adams and then coudn't sign 2 $14 million players and would be less a 1st and a 2nd then my original thesis holds....they can't win an owl.

The rams indeed won one, but they are fucked. They have one more year to win it and its over. Cap hell and no draft picks. They also traded their QB with the ludicrous cap hit for an old vet who didn't hit the cap as hard and who was better.

But I reiterate. With this trade they fixed a lot of the ills of paying just a handful of guys and kicking the can further down the road. The roster will be deeper and have more young talent. We have an MVP QB, and an elite Head coach. This move should have been made regardless of what Adams wanted.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 12:36 PM
My opinion has shifted very much now that we aren't paying a WR 25+ million a year. I was merely setting the record straight on the Rodgers deal which was not team friendly. I also think if they paid Adams and then coudn't sign 2 $14 million players and would be less a 1st and a 2nd then my original thesis holds....they can't win an owl.

The rams indeed won one, but they are fucked. They have one more year to win it and its over. Cap hell and no draft picks. They also traded their QB with the ludicrous cap hit for an old vet who didn't hit the cap as hard and who was better.

But I reiterate. With this trade they fixed a lot of the ills of paying just a handful of guys and kicking the can further down the road. The roster will be deeper and have more young talent. We have an MVP QB, and an elite Head coach. This move should have been made regardless of what Adams wanted.

There’s no such fuck as a “cap hell” anymore. If anything, the Rams have debunked the Polar Bear’s Draft and Development Bullshit. Next year, the Rams, along with the other 31 teams, will be bailed out by Bezos. And Bezos is currently the 2nd richest man alive,…see Onion Thread in FYI for more.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 12:47 PM

Enough said.

I've disagreed with you on some things, but THIS is spot on.

This stuff about the franchise rule is interesting, but getting a first and a second is a pretty decent haul anyway. Adams is 29 now/34 when this contract ends. As Fritz said, he had a great run here and we should be thankful for him. But the bottom line to me is that Oakland is gonna probably regret this deal in 2 or 3 years. As for Davante, I can see why for non-football reasons he wants to play there, but I'm fairly sure he's not gonna have the success either individually or team-wise as he would have had with the Packers and Rodgers. But congrats to him for getting the big money anyway.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 01:04 PM
I've disagreed with you on some things, but THIS is spot on.

This stuff about the franchise rule is interesting, but getting a first and a second is a pretty decent haul anyway. Adams is 29 now/34 when this contract ends. As Fritz said, he had a great run here and we should be thankful for him. But the bottom line to me is that Oakland is gonna probably regret this deal in 2 or 3 years. As for Davante, I can see why for non-football reasons he wants to play there, but I'm fairly sure he's not gonna have the success either individually or team-wise as he would have had with the Packers and Rodgers. But congrats to him for getting the big money anyway.

According to Twitter, the Packers actually offered Adams more frogskins. Ole Bobble has got to be affluent as fuck since he can afford to go skiing. Yet, guess what? He pays far less state income taxes per year - zero, to be exact - than I, a minimum-wage, burger flipper do flipping burgers in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin.

I guess since the Brothel State, Neveda, lacks a state income tax, Adams will eventually regroup all the frogskins, plus sumptuous change, that the Packers were willing to throw at him.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 01:13 PM
Gosh, I forgot he's going to Vegas, not his hometown, Oakland hahahahaha.

red
03-18-2022, 01:38 PM
According to Twitter, the Packers actually offered Adams more frogskins. Ole Bobble has got to be affluent as fuck since he can afford to go skiing. Yet, guess what? He pays far less state income taxes per year - zero, to be exact - than I, a minimum-wage, burger flipper do flipping burgers in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin.

I guess since the Brothel State, Neveda, lacks a state income tax, Adams will eventually regroup all the frogskins, plus sumptuous change, that the Packers were willing to throw at him.

makes no sense at all that we offered more

he was franchised. he got an offer all we had to do was match that offer and he's ours. i don't think he gets a say in the matter unless he decides to sit out the season if we match the offer

being fanchised isn't the same as just being a free agent, its not an all out bidding war

not sure why adams team would even put this out there unless they really wanted to make it look like he wanted to get out of town bad

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 02:00 PM
makes no sense at all that we offered more

he was franchised. he got an offer all we had to do was match that offer and he's ours. i don't think he gets a say in the matter unless he decides to sit out the season if we match the offer

being fanchised isn't the same as just being a free agent, its not an all out bidding war

not sure why adams team would even put this out there unless they really wanted to make it look like he wanted to get out of town bad

My guess is Packers offered more overall, but less guaranteed. Guaranteed money was reported by some to be the sticking point in negotiations between Adams and Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 02:02 PM

That's not how the franchise tag works. Other teams don't get to offer a franchised player a contract.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Wait until Adams gets to Las Vegas and discovers they don't have Kwik Trips or Culvers in Nevada.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-18-2022, 02:12 PM
That's not how the franchise tag works. Other teams don't get to offer a franchised player a contract.

Pretty sure the franchise tag comes in 3 forms. Too lazy to research. But I think the top tier, player has absolutely no contact with other teams: 2nd tier, player can sign a contract with new team, old team can match, if not match, old team gets 2 1st rounders; 3rd tier, old team gets the right to match offer but no compensation ( see Fuller ordeal after Pack signed him from Bears).

Adams got the 2nd tier. Like Mailman said re bonus money, and LV probably wasn’t willing to give up 2 ones, so both teams agreed to the 1 and 2.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 02:35 PM
Pretty sure the franchise tag comes in 3 forms. Too lazy to research. But I think the top tier, player has absolutely no contact with other teams: 2nd tier, player can sign a contract with new team, old team can match, if not match, old team gets 2 1st rounders; 3rd tier, old team gets the right to match offer but no compensation ( see Fuller ordeal after Pack signed him from Bears).

Adams got the 2nd tier. Like Mailman said re bonus money, and LV probably wasn’t willing to give up 2 ones, so both teams agreed to the 1 and 2.

Yeah, I think you're right. It just rarely happens. If a franchised guy is moved, it's usually done via a trade.

Teamcheez1
03-18-2022, 05:19 PM
I think Davante comes across as the jilted lover. He sounds like he was unhappy the Packers didn’t take care of his contract last year, and that just festered up through the use of the franchise tag.. That and living in AR’s shadow may have been all it took to take a comparable deal with LV and playing with Carr.

I wonder what the over/under is for his catches and yards next year? $28M is a lot of coin for a 30 year old receiver.

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2022, 06:08 PM
It seems logical that this is what Davante wanted all along. He grew up a Raiders fan and played with Carr in college. That whole Last Dance narrative started long before a irreparable contract impasse could have been reached. I think his camp might be putting that out in the media to take some heat off him. Oh well! I think the Packers may have gotten saved here. Paying a soon-to-be 30-year-old WR (even one as good as Davante) QB money is not proper roster building. Essentially, the Packers will get a 1st, 2nd, a couple of players, and flexibility to sign extensions for him.

This shows why the Packers were right to franchise him. They risked losing him for a possible 3rd compensatory pick otherwise. Even that wouldn’t have been guaranteed—depending on who was signed to replace him.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 06:38 PM
Wait until Adams gets to Las Vegas and discovers they don't have Kwik Trips or Culvers in Nevada.

You're picking at a scab of mine with no culvers here. But we got a couple things going for us. The weather here is gold 40 weeks a year.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 09:37 PM
It seems logical that this is what Davante wanted all along. He grew up a Raiders fan and played with Carr in college. That whole Last Dance narrative started long before a irreparable contract impasse could have been reached. I think his camp might be putting that out in the media to take some heat off him. Oh well! I think the Packers may have gotten saved here. Paying a soon-to-be 30-year-old WR (even one as good as Davante) QB money is not proper roster building. Essentially, the Packers will get a 1st, 2nd, a couple of players, and flexibility to sign extensions for him.

This shows why the Packers were right to franchise him. They risked losing him for a possible 3rd compensatory pick otherwise. Even that wouldn’t have been guaranteed—depending on who was signed to replace him.

This on all counts.

call_me_ishmael
03-18-2022, 10:34 PM
Yeah honestly I am not at all upset about him going. Feel they got fair comp. I’d rather have two guys each at half the price. I think it makes us better. We need several guys collectively to be better.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 12:32 AM
So, what should be the plan at WR? It seems like we need 2 WRs--one with deep speed and then another outside receiver. There isn't a lot available in FA that I'm enamored with. Odell Beckham probably won't play for most of the year. We don't really need half of our WRs to be small slot WRs--especially when we like to play with a Big Slot. That would seem to rule out the likes of Jarvis Landry, Cole Beasley, Jamison Crowder. I'm not really interested in the guys past their primes (Emmanuel Sanders, A.J. Green). That leaves Julio Jones, Will Fuller, MVS. Two other options, if all else fails, would be Sammy Watkins and Zach Pascal (if he's still available).

I'd be for taking a flyer on a prove it deal for Julio. I don't usually chase big names, but I thought Julio looked good when he played last year. There are worse guys to take a flyer on.

There aren't many trade candidates (Robert Woods has a big contract and is coming off an ACL injury). The one guy that interests me, and I've always been a fan of his, is Brandin Cooks for midround draft capital.

If you get Cooks, Fuller, or MVS (I prefer Fuller over MVS--depending on money), then I think looking for a WR with deep speed is less important in the draft.
If you get Watkins, or Pascall, then I think you look for a WR with deep speed in the draft.
If you get Julio, then you have a bit more flexibility.
If you don't get any significant FA WR, then I think you look for two guys in the draft.

Here's my ideal draft candidates in each scenario:

Trade for Cooks or sign Fuller/MVS, draft London, Burks, or Olave at #22 (if one falls) OR draft George Pickens, Christian Watson, Alec Pierce, Skyy Moore, or Jalen Tolbert with a later pick.

Sign Watkins or Pascal, draft Olave, Wilson, or Williams at #22 (if one falls) or draft Christian Watson or Alec Pierce with a later pick.

Sign Julio, then just draft any of the top 11 WRs (London, Burks, Olave, Wilson, Williams, Dotson, Watson, Pierce, Pickens, Moore, or Tolbert).

Don't sign any FAs, then the Packers may need to take 2 WRs by the end of day 2 (5 picks). I'd like to pair complimenting styles. That means drafting one amongst a group of London, Burks, Watson, Pierce, Pickens, Tolbert and one guy amongst a group of Olave, Wilson, Williams, Dotson, and Moore.

Outside of the top 5, I really think Watson and Pierce are great scheme fits. Watson blocks, has deep speed, he's good on jet motions, and can return kicks. Pierce is a bit of a Jordy Nelson clone. He has a similar playing style, he's a bit more athletic. His hands and route running aren't quite as good as Jordy coming out--although his route running can be refined.

Alec Pierce = 6'3" 211 with 4.41 40, 4.28 shuttle, 7.13 3-Cone
Jordy Nelson = 6'3" 217 with 4.51 40, 4.35 shuttle, 7.03 3-Cone

I still think Jordy played faster (especially his deep speed) than he timed.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2022, 12:37 AM
Tell me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHloup4w2k

doesn't look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

The 1st and 4th plays look like Jordy's play against Aqib Talib, and his third play looks like Jordy's TD in the Super Bowl. :)

Fritz
03-19-2022, 07:52 AM
I am sure that after the Packers draft a WR I've never heard of or don't know (I don't follow it like I used to), I will come back to your posts here, Harv, so I know how to feel about whoever they draft.

run pMc
03-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Rambling thoughts...

Alec Pierce = 6'3" 211 with 4.41 40, 4.28 shuttle, 7.13 3-Cone
Jordy Nelson = 6'3" 217 with 4.51 40, 4.35 shuttle, 7.03 3-Cone

While it's occurred to me before, I've been somewhat hesitant to make the Jordy-Pierce comps because they are both big white WRs. There, I said it.
That out of the way, they do have some similarities in their game based on college highlights. If Pierce is as dedicated to working on his craft as Jordy was he'll be a good Day 2 pick. (I think it's unlikely he lasts past R3.) His production was a little weird and rarely seemed like a dominant receiver on the college level which is a bit of a concern but he's a decent prospect. I don't know them well enough (and I'm a layman) to tell if Pierce is a better prospect or has a higher ceiling than Nelson did.

Back to Adams: I'm with others who think you just can't pay a WR what amounts to QB money. It's not realistic to have the highest paid QB, LT, WR, etc. on your team.

As for that QB contract, every year Rodgers plays makes his walking away more expensive.

Retired Dead Cap:
2023: $40.3M
2024: $68.2M
2025: $76.8M

It's all projections and guessing, but from what I've seen on teh interwebz the 2025 cap is expected to be roughly around $275M, meaning whenever Rodgers is done he'll take somewhere around 25-30% of the cap with him.

Adding a 29 year old WR into that mix with a $28M+ contract just makes things worse, especially considering all the money they've already pushed out. Yes, yes, I know you can cook the cap... but they've just about cooked it as much as they currently can. That severely restricts a team's ability to keep its own players or sign FAs. As many have said, expect year 1 A.R (After Rodgers) to be a terrible one, and as it stands that would seem likely. Not a great situation, but I would point out that it's easier to 'rebuild' or 'restock' in the FA era than in the dark ages of the 70's and 80's, plus they have capable FO and coaching. They key is finding another franchise QB ASAP. It's more important to have a great QB than great WRs, although it certainly helps.

I'd also argue that signing an expensive WR isn't a good idea; for one thing it's possible to get most of that production for a fraction of the cost, especially with how productive many first and second year draft picks have been recently (Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase, et. al). For another, signing a WR to a 3rd contract is asking for trouble in terms of health and production. Adams will never play to the end of that contract; in fact, I bet he's either cut or that contract gets redone after 2 years.

For now GB has Cobb as the leader in the WR room, with Lazard knowing the drill and able to mentor as well. The rest of the WR group will need a big infusion of talent and they will do what they can to produce. They did this before in 2006 when they basically had Driver and a bunch of nobodies (Ferguson) and ended up starting a R2 pick named Jennings who did ok. MLF's offense will lean on Dillon/Jones and with Tonyan back along with what they have they'll manage ok. I don't think they'll be the highest scoring offense like in 2020; I think it will be a lot of close games and more like 2019 until they figure it out.

I don't really like many/any of the FA WRs out there. They're mostly blah to me. Overpriced, old, or damaged goods. (Julio Jones can't stay healthy and will cost a lot to sign.) I'd expect them to wait until late FA where they'll have more leverage to sign someone cheap. Can't really be a player in FA market when you're trying to stave off cap hell and keep a playoff window open.
Waiting for June 1 cuts is a possibility, and they could always trade for someone, but there's not much out there IMO. I wonder about Olave now since he seems among the most pro-ready as a WR and might be the closest thing to this year's version of Justin Jefferson. They should bring in two new non-UDFA WRs to bolster the room. Cobb can't stay healthy or perform at a high level for 17+ games, and they need a major talent infusion. Drafting some talent is a long overdue and necessary step.

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 03:23 PM
The Packers almost have to take a WR with one of those first 4 picks. Second round receivers do really well.

There is a chance the draft can fall all wrong and there just is not a good wr when we pick or other positions are graded higher.

But we badly need more WR talent. What good is the 50 million dollar man if he has no one to throw to?

MadScientist
03-20-2022, 04:02 PM
Pierce looks big, catches well and gets good releases, but Jordy had much better speed

red
03-20-2022, 04:04 PM
Rambling thoughts...

While it's occurred to me before, I've been somewhat hesitant to make the Jordy-Pierce comps because they are both big white WRs. There, I said it.
That out of the way, they do have some similarities in their game based on college highlights. If Pierce is as dedicated to working on his craft as Jordy was he'll be a good Day 2 pick. (I think it's unlikely he lasts past R3.) His production was a little weird and rarely seemed like a dominant receiver on the college level which is a bit of a concern but he's a decent prospect. I don't know them well enough (and I'm a layman) to tell if Pierce is a better prospect or has a higher ceiling than Nelson did.

Back to Adams: I'm with others who think you just can't pay a WR what amounts to QB money. It's not realistic to have the highest paid QB, LT, WR, etc. on your team.

As for that QB contract, every year Rodgers plays makes his walking away more expensive.

Retired Dead Cap:

It's all projections and guessing, but from what I've seen on teh interwebz the 2025 cap is expected to be roughly around $275M, meaning whenever Rodgers is done he'll take somewhere around 25-30% of the cap with him.

Adding a 29 year old WR into that mix with a $28M+ contract just makes things worse, especially considering all the money they've already pushed out. Yes, yes, I know you can cook the cap... but they've just about cooked it as much as they currently can. That severely restricts a team's ability to keep its own players or sign FAs. As many have said, expect year 1 A.R (After Rodgers) to be a terrible one, and as it stands that would seem likely. Not a great situation, but I would point out that it's easier to 'rebuild' or 'restock' in the FA era than in the dark ages of the 70's and 80's, plus they have capable FO and coaching. They key is finding another franchise QB ASAP. It's more important to have a great QB than great WRs, although it certainly helps.

I'd also argue that signing an expensive WR isn't a good idea; for one thing it's possible to get most of that production for a fraction of the cost, especially with how productive many first and second year draft picks have been recently (Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase, et. al). For another, signing a WR to a 3rd contract is asking for trouble in terms of health and production. Adams will never play to the end of that contract; in fact, I bet he's either cut or that contract gets redone after 2 years.

For now GB has Cobb as the leader in the WR room, with Lazard knowing the drill and able to mentor as well. The rest of the WR group will need a big infusion of talent and they will do what they can to produce. They did this before in 2006 when they basically had Driver and a bunch of nobodies (Ferguson) and ended up starting a R2 pick named Jennings who did ok. MLF's offense will lean on Dillon/Jones and with Tonyan back along with what they have they'll manage ok. I don't think they'll be the highest scoring offense like in 2020; I think it will be a lot of close games and more like 2019 until they figure it out.

I don't really like many/any of the FA WRs out there. They're mostly blah to me. Overpriced, old, or damaged goods. (Julio Jones can't stay healthy and will cost a lot to sign.) I'd expect them to wait until late FA where they'll have more leverage to sign someone cheap. Can't really be a player in FA market when you're trying to stave off cap hell and keep a playoff window open.
Waiting for June 1 cuts is a possibility, and they could always trade for someone, but there's not much out there IMO. I wonder about Olave now since he seems among the most pro-ready as a WR and might be the closest thing to this year's version of Justin Jefferson. They should bring in two new non-UDFA WRs to bolster the room. Cobb can't stay healthy or perform at a high level for 17+ games, and they need a major talent infusion. Drafting some talent is a long overdue and necessary step.

what?

not even close

dead money goes down not up during a contract.

red
03-20-2022, 04:06 PM
Pierce looks big, catches well and gets good releases, but Jordy had much better speed

jordy had nice playing speed

he only ran a 4.55 at the combine though. so he had very average measurable speed for a WR

RashanGary
03-20-2022, 04:07 PM
Jordy Nelson had 122 catches and 1,600 yards in his senior season. It is hard to compare that to someone who has more like 60 and 900.

red
03-20-2022, 04:16 PM
back to the subject

florio pointed out that davontes deal is actually only a 3 year deal worth 67.5 million

so not quite 5 years and 140 million. theres almost 72 million tied up in the last 2 years that he will never see

so its worth 22.5 million a year, not the 28 that a lot of talking heads are using as the new high number for WRs

HarveyWallbangers
03-20-2022, 04:43 PM
jordy had nice playing speed

he only ran a 4.55 at the combine though. so he had very average measurable speed for a WR

He ran 4.51 at the combine, but his deep speed was better than that. I read something about 40 time variance. A guy who is 4.5 guy could actually run a 4.45 one time and a 4.55 the next time. Made sense. Younger Jordy never got caught from behind.

Pierce ran 4.41 at the combine.

Joemailman
03-20-2022, 04:52 PM
I remember hearing people after the draft question Jordy's speed. Then I saw a tape of him burning Aqib Talib deep, and knew he was fast enough.

Guiness
03-20-2022, 09:15 PM
The thing I don't like about looking for the next Jordy or Devante is that it took both of those guys a couple of years to develop into top tier WRs.
Jordy was under 400 yards season 1 and 2. Driver and Jennings were WR1 & 2 those years
Devante was a little better, just under 500 yards his first two, behind Nelson and Cobb.

Both broke out their 3rd season. Who's on the roster that could conceivably do that this year? Amari is the only one who remotely fits that mould. Scantling (if he were to resign) and Lazard are what they are.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2022, 12:17 AM
The thing I don't like about looking for the next Jordy or Devante is that it took both of those guys a couple of years to develop into top tier WRs.
Jordy was under 400 yards season 1 and 2. Driver and Jennings were WR1 & 2 those years
Devante was a little better, just under 500 yards his first two, behind Nelson and Cobb.

Both broke out their 3rd season. Who's on the roster that could conceivably do that this year? Amari is the only one who remotely fits that mould. Scantling (if he were to resign) and Lazard are what they are.

Davante took longer, but I'm pretty sure Jordy would have been ready sooner. It's just that he played behind Jennings, Driver, and Jones. Jordy only had 6 starts his first 3 years in the league--through no fault of his own. Hard to break out, if you don't get the opportunity to break out.

run pMc
03-21-2022, 07:32 AM
what?

not even close

I didn't make that up, it was pulled that from Ken Ingalls
https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1503969028993429504

[QUOTE]@KenIngalls
Typically, the longer a NFL player plays on their contract the cheaper the dead cap would be if they retire.

This is not the case with Aaron Rodgers' new deal - every year he plays makes his walking away more expensive.

Retired Dead Cap:
12:38 AM

Joemailman
03-21-2022, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE]@KenIngalls
Typically, the longer a NFL player plays on their contract the cheaper the dead cap would be if they retire.

This is not the case with Aaron Rodgers' new deal - every year he plays makes his walking away more expensive.

Retired Dead Cap:

I think this is why Andrew Brandt thinks this is 1 year contract. But maybe it really is a 4 or 5 year contract. Seems to me Packers have to let Aaron Rodgers go after 2022 season, or keep him for the long term so he can finish his career in Green Bay. What they can't do is keep him for 2 or 3 years and then move hlm.

Derek Carr is in the last year of his contract with Raiders. Perhaps Rodgers will be a Packer for life, or the next QB of the Raiders.

Guiness
03-21-2022, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=run pMc;1112892]I didn't make that up, it was pulled that from Ken Ingalls

I think this is why Andrew Brandt thinks this is 1 year contract. But maybe it really is a 4 or 5 year contract. Seems to me Packers have to let Aaron Rodgers go after 2022 season, or keep him for the long term so he can finish his career in Green Bay. What they can't do is keep him for 2 or 3 years and then move hlm.

Derek Carr is in the last year of his contract with Raiders. Perhaps Rodgers will be a Packer for life, or the next QB of the Raiders.

Rodgers showing up in LV and re-uniting with Devante with be a real 'Here's Johnny!' moment!

RashanGary
03-21-2022, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE]@KenIngalls

Retired Dead Cap:

I see three different views of the Rodgers contract. One from sport trac, one from over the cap and one from Ingalls. I do not know which one is accurate.

bobblehead
03-21-2022, 10:29 AM
what?

not even close

That really depends on how its structured. If you continually convert a salary to bonus, the dead cap is going to get larger each year.

King Friday
03-21-2022, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=run pMc;1112892]I didn't make that up, it was pulled that from Ken Ingalls

If Rodgers and Adams wanted to be together on the Raiders, they could've done it this off season. I don't think Rodgers has any desire to move to the AFC where 10 of the best 12 NFL QBs are.

bobblehead
03-22-2022, 09:31 AM
The more I look at things the more I love this move. I honestly never even considered the possibility the Packers could keep Rodgers and trade Adams. It doesn't "fix" the cap, but it makes it more manageable going forward. Yes we lost a great talent, but with an MVP QB you can run without great WR. We need to sign one draft one now, but with an extra 2 top picks that shouldn't be impossible. It also allowed us to bring back Campbell and Douglas both and keep a top notch defense at full strength. If Gutes was trying NOT to have this end result he got lucky.

Jereamiah
03-22-2022, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;1112893]

If Rodgers and Adams wanted to be together on the Raiders, they could've done it this off season. I don't think Rodgers has any desire to move to the AFC where 10 of the best 12 NFL QBs are.

Consider this distinct possibility: Adams turned down the Packers bigger offer because he simply cannot stand Rodgers. He was done, probably didn't even want to be in the same room with the dude. Rodgers got everything he wanted, and it WAS "about the money," lol. In doing so, he alienated Adams and probably half the team. Just a thought. Anyway, I'd imagine that Rodgers plays for the Packers this year and next, retires, and collects his $150+ guaranteed million.

Upnorth
03-22-2022, 12:53 PM

I see three different views of the Rodgers contract. One from sport trac, one from over the cap and one from Ingalls. I do not know which one is accurate.

The one that benefits the packers the most... Right?

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2022, 01:43 PM
The more I look at things the more I love this move. I honestly never even considered the possibility the Packers could keep Rodgers and trade Adams. It doesn't "fix" the cap, but it makes it more manageable going forward. Yes we lost a great talent, but with an MVP QB you can run without great WR. We need to sign one draft one now, but with an extra 2 top picks that shouldn't be impossible. It also allowed us to bring back Campbell and Douglas both and keep a top notch defense at full strength. If Gutes was trying NOT to have this end result he got lucky.

I agree. I guess I am more neutral on Douglas and am not sure he is a great fit but overall I <3 the comp they got in exchange for Adams and his fat contract. I really do believe he just wanted to do something different and get closer to the West coast. He is married to his colllege sweatheart who is also from Cali so I am not surprised they desire being closer to family. They've got money and kids, at this point choosing where you live and raise 'em would be very high on my list personally. For example, if I could choose to play for Team X or the Packers, I'd choose Packers and be willing to take less money because that is a priority to me. I totally get it and understand where he's coming from.

Bretsky
03-22-2022, 02:56 PM
The Vikings traded Diggs and struck gold when they used that pick for Justin Jefferson

I hope GB is just as lucky