PDA

View Full Version : 4 of the last 7 Owls have been won by.....

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Nope, Brady only won 3 of them. The answer is:

By a team that had a starting QB that no one would have guessed would be their QB a year earlier.

Stafford, Brady (with Bucs), Foles, and Manning. And Russel Wilson was only in his 2nd year as well, and probably wasn't drafted to be "the future".

Is the new model to winning an Owl going to be building a roster then bringing in a guy to lead it after? I and others have argued that paying a QB top dollar weakens a roster too much to get over the hump. Recent record deals for QBs hasn't disproven that theory at all.

Joemailman
03-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Got your money down on the Broncos?

call_me_ishmael
03-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Nope, Brady only won 3 of them. The answer is:

By a team that had a starting QB that no one would have guessed would be their QB a year earlier.

Stafford, Brady (with Bucs), Foles, and Manning. And Russel Wilson was only in his 2nd year as well, and probably wasn't drafted to be "the future".

Is the new model to winning an Owl going to be building a roster then bringing in a guy to lead it after? I and others have argued that paying a QB top dollar weakens a roster too much to get over the hump. Recent record deals for QBs hasn't disproven that theory at all.

Yeah, I can see this. If Indy gets Matt Ryan I think they will surprise people this year and possibly win the super bowl. Man, what a kick in the pants it was that Andy Luck retired a few years back. They probably would have won one already while they have played QB roulette.

Indy is gonna get Matt Ryan for pennys on the dollar.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 12:50 PM
No, the best hope to come out of the AFC is still KC with Mahomes, even if they lost a few fringe pieces.

KYPack
03-18-2022, 01:01 PM
No, the best hope to come out of the AFC is still KC with Mahomes, even if they lost a few fringe pieces.

Buffalo, Tenn, and the Raiduz may well have something to say about that one....

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 01:06 PM
Buffalo yes. The others not so much. I'd include the Chargers as having a chance also.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 01:36 PM
Got your money down on the Broncos?

Not yet, but I have to consider it.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 01:38 PM

Thats a nice theory that hasn't played out in reality. Maholmes contract will continue to be a bigger albatross around the KC neck each year that it takes a bigger % of the cap. He won an Owl. Then lost one. Then lost the AFCC. That seems like regression to me, but what do I know.

bobblehead
03-18-2022, 01:38 PM
Buffalo, Tenn, and the Raiduz may well have something to say about that one....

You left out the obvious choice. The team that represented the AFC this year with a QB on a rookie deal.

KYPack
03-18-2022, 04:54 PM
You left out the obvious choice. The team that represented the AFC this year with a QB on a rookie deal.

Yup, Cincy and now the Brownies with the big deal of the day.

Tex is right about one thing, La C have added to their club as well.

The Chiefs are no longer the strong team in the AFC by themselves.

There are good teams all over that league.

texaspackerbacker
03-18-2022, 09:32 PM
It is primarily QB driven - just about all the teams ya'all mentioned are the ones with star QBs. And Mahomes is the best QB of the bunch. Yeah, the Chiefs regressed (or had bad luck), but my money is still on them followed by Buffalo - definitely not Denver, almost definitely not Vegas or Tennessee, and probably not Indy or Cleveland. Maybe for the Bengals or Chargers. All of this is based on relative QB quality.