PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS----PACKERS SIGN FORMER 1st ROUND DRAFT PICK WR

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 01:35 PM
Per Jason Wilde, Sammy Watkins is coming to GB for a 1 year deal up to 4MIL/year.

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 01:38 PM
If this is true, gotta like the low risk/reward factor.

IMO, Watkins is better than Randall Cobb and Amari Rodgers. Gives us another option.

WHY didn't we sign Will Fuller or Julio Jones ? Simple answer; they either don't wanna come to GB or they want too much money and we're not going to overpay a WR IMO with our cap situation.

I give Watkins Credit for being smart at least. IF you are a WR and think you can produce some numbers, a 1 year contract with Aaron Rodgers throwing you the ball could be worth lot of future $$$$$$$$

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2022, 01:43 PM
I love that deal for sure. I still think Watkins is a high upside guy. Was he in KC last year?

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 01:46 PM
I think he was in Baltimore last year; KC the two years previously

bobblehead
04-14-2022, 01:49 PM
He isn't much anymore. I have been arguing this since some on this site (and some no longer posters) told me how dominant every WR core except ours was. However, we need some vets who can simply be saavy and be where Rodgers wants them to be. Hopefully he ends up our #4 with 2 rookies and Lazard ahead of him. I don't mind the signing though.

Joemailman
04-14-2022, 01:49 PM
If this is true, gotta like the low risk/reward factor.

IMO, Watkins is better than Randall Cobb and Amari Rodgers. Gives us another option.

WHY didn't we sign Will Fuller or Julio Jones ? Simple answer; they either don't wanna come to GB or they want too much money and we're not going to overpay a WR IMO with our cap situation.

I give Watkins Credit for being smart at least. IF you are a WR and think you can produce some numbers, a 1 year contract with Aaron Rodgers throwing you the ball could be worth lot of future $$$$$$$$

Gute might prefer Watkins. Gute tried to sign Watkins in 2018 when Watkins signed with Kansas City.

NewsBruin
04-14-2022, 01:54 PM
He went from $16M/season (x3 seasons) to $5M/season to now $4M/season. I hope this motivates him.

If there's no signing bonus, he's a free trial until the season starts. I think he's got enough vested seasons that we'd owe him the full amount if he's on the Opening Day roster.

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 01:56 PM
He isn't much anymore. I have been arguing this since some on this site (and some no longer posters) told me how dominant every WR core except ours was. However, we need some vets who can simply be saavy and be where Rodgers wants them to be. Hopefully he ends up our #4 with 2 rookies and Lazard ahead of him. I don't mind the signing though.

Aside from Adams, I think our WR core was amount the bottom half, perhaps bottom quarter in the NFL if you exclude the #1 on the roster.

I'm not sure if Watkins is better or worse than Lazard either. But I do hope we have two rookies we draft high ahead of him.

bobblehead
04-14-2022, 02:02 PM
Aside from Adams, I think our WR core was amount the bottom half, perhaps bottom quarter in the NFL if you exclude the #1 on the roster.

I'm not sure if Watkins is better or worse than Lazard either. But I do hope we have two rookies we draft high ahead of him.

Yes. If you exclude the #1 WR on any roster, the room doesn't look too good. If you exclude my wife I have been celibate for decades. If you exclude Rodgers our QB room is pretty bad. If you exclude LaFleur our HC is vacant. If you exclude..... Well, you get the idea.

jklowan
04-14-2022, 02:05 PM
NOT A FAN OF THIS SIGNING, rather have waited for a better option hopefully if something pops up they can shed this contract without a financial hit this year

Joemailman
04-14-2022, 02:06 PM
Watkins only had 27 receptions last year, but he did average over 14 YPR. That with his QB having a pretty mediocre year. He could do better with Rodgers throwing to him IF he can stay on the field. It's always a big IF with him. But I think it's worth a shot.

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 02:09 PM
Yes. If you exclude the #1 WR on any roster, the room doesn't look too good. If you exclude my wife I have been celibate for decades. If you exclude Rodgers our QB room is pretty bad. If you exclude LaFleur our HC is vacant. If you exclude..... Well, you get the idea.

True. But you only get one wife ;), we only have one head coach, and we only start one qb. We do start 2 wr

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 02:11 PM
Dang some of my post cutoff. Our failure to get a 2 has already hurt us but it makes the loss of adams sting way way more

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 02:13 PM
Given our depleted talent at wr it seems like a good risk

Upnorth
04-14-2022, 02:16 PM
If injury hasn't killed his speed great pickup for the money. Not as fast but way better hands than mvs.

Anyone know how his route running is? If it's sharp then he is our temporary #1 wr imo.

However I am very sceptical based on injury history

Bretsky
04-14-2022, 02:18 PM
NOT A FAN OF THIS SIGNING, rather have waited for a better option hopefully if something pops up they can shed this contract without a financial hit this year

I gotta believe Julio wants a lot more money and will always injured fuller does as well. This is a good cost effective low risk signing. And we could still sign another er if the asking prices come down

RashanGary
04-14-2022, 02:41 PM
It is strange that his first two years were 1,000 yards and then the drop off. I wonder what happened??

cheesner
04-14-2022, 02:58 PM
Why not?

Was hoping for Fuller, but I am pulling for Watkins to be the 2022 Campbell Award winner for guys who had early promise in their careers, hit some bad years, then came to the Packers and played great.

Joemailman
04-14-2022, 03:30 PM
It is strange that his first two years were 1,000 yards and then the drop off. I wonder what happened??

Injuries happened. He's missed 27 games over the past 6 years. And you can bet he was less than 100% in a lot of the games he did play in.The Packers will be his 4th team in 6 years. Bouncing aroind from team to team probably hasn't helped him either.

Joemailman
04-14-2022, 03:57 PM
Watkins has been through a lot, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Pretty incredible interview with Tyler Dunne. It's long, haven't finished it yet. Unlike anything I've read before. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes

RashanGary
04-14-2022, 04:35 PM
Watkins has been through a lot, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Pretty incredible interview with Tyler Dunne. It's long, haven't finished it yet. Unlike anything I've read before. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes

Him going for 1,000 yards and then dropping off is making so much sense.

Guy had a tough up bringing. He might not be able to really put it together. He had the talent. Just sort of pissed it away. Rodgers is a deep thinker though. Those two might hit it off.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2022, 04:40 PM
Dang some of my post cutoff. Our failure to get a 2 has already hurt us but it makes the loss of adams sting way way more

That has happened to me at least twice. Just backspace and copy and paste your whole post in as an edit. At least that's what worked for me.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2022, 04:50 PM
I'm pleased with this Watkins signing. He's 28 years old, originally ran a 4.34 forty, and hasn't ever had a serious injury even though he has had minor injuries most years of his career. He's played both for LaFleur and Jason Vrable, the WR coach. We're paying him about $4 million for one year - fairly cheap.

I expected this - a FA signed in addition to one or more WR s drafted. He's sort of a "tweener" - possible deep threat, but also a good possession receiver, so we still could draft either of those - I'd suggest a deep threat - Watson or Olave. The Watkins signing maybe makes Burks less likely.

run pMc
04-14-2022, 05:09 PM
Curious about the financial details, it's an ok signing. Good for depth and competition and all that, and he can probably still run some deep routes. He can't stay healthy.

He's relatively inexpensive and can be productive at times, but I don't know that it moves the needle a lot. He's probably a 40-600-4 receiver for GB, so they still need capable talent at receiver (both WR and TE).

I don't see a lot of downside unless they are guaranteeing a lot of the money.

RashanGary
04-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Tex, he ran a 4.43 not 4.34

Upnorth
04-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Holy shit, he reminds me of a stripper I used to know.

Freak Out
04-14-2022, 07:25 PM
Crazy story. Hope he does well of course.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2022, 07:31 PM
Tex, he ran a 4.43 not 4.34

I was gonna prove you wrong, but upon rereading, you're right. I must be getting lysdexic in my old age.

Fritz
04-15-2022, 07:43 AM
Him going for 1,000 yards and then dropping off is making so much sense.

Guy had a tough up bringing. He might not be able to really put it together. He had the talent. Just sort of pissed it away. Rodgers is a deep thinker though. Those two might hit it off.

I'll be looking for a State Farm commercial.

Bretsky
04-15-2022, 10:14 AM
Sounds like the deal is "up to 4MIL/year" with incentives. We needed one vet for sure; hell Sammy is probably out most talented WR now.

If we don't stock up in the draft we can always look at Fuller and Julio later when their price has went down. Odds are both are looking for more money than they are worth and maybe they'll end up with more $$ on a shitty team.

Any WR thinking he can have a great year would be smart to call GB on a one year prove it deal.

NewsBruin
04-15-2022, 12:42 PM
He's a veteran with talent on a cheap no-commitment deal, so that's good. We need WRs 1-4, and I honestly have no idea how we have enough cap surplus to cover our upcoming draft picks.

The Bleacher Report article gives me concern that Watkins could go off the radar when he loses confidence in the team's confidence in him. He's gonna need vets like Cobb and Aaron Jones to buddy up with him, our medical/training staff to be proactive and honest, and some kind of backchannel to his wife. I'd love for Aaron Rodgers to be the dude who greets him off the plane and reassures him of the team's commitments when he's not targeted, but I don't know if 12 will stick his neck out for anybody. Maybe he could at least treat him to a cheeseburger and listen to two hours of metaphysical theories.

The latest I could find on Watkins' brother (https://www.winknews.com/2021/02/12/wait-for-trial-could-be-longer-for-accused-lake-boyz-member/) is from February of last year. He was the only guy out of 20 who could make the $1M bail for a state-level gang racketeering arrest. If Florida starts the trial or offers his brother a plea deal that keeps him in-state during the season, that could be a distraction. If they let him walk, then Watkins better bring him up to WI. That's just a huge wildcard to have on your WR's table.

I don't have confidence that Fuller or Julio will be in their team's gameplan by playoffs.

CaptainKickass
04-15-2022, 02:47 PM
Unlike anything I've read before. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889029-what-sammy-watkins-believes

Thanks for sharing this. I'm rooting for the guy to help manifest a Lombardi trophy.

King Friday
04-15-2022, 03:28 PM
I think it is a reasonable signing for the cost. Watkins is no better than a WR3 at this point. We need depth, and he's capable still when healthy.

Bretsky
04-15-2022, 04:03 PM
I think it is a reasonable signing for the cost. Watkins is no better than a WR3 at this point. We need depth, and he's capable still when healthy.

I agree, but if healthy he still may be the most talented we currently have. Fill in a round one pick, a round 3 pick, a late round speed buy, and Winfree who showed flashes last year and that might be what we have to work with

bobblehead
04-16-2022, 11:35 AM
True. But you only get one wife ;), we only have one head coach, and we only start one qb. We do start 2 wr

And one of them was the #1 WR in the league last year. Which was the point I kept making then. Now....we need a lot of help at WR, I concur.

bobblehead
04-16-2022, 11:36 AM
If injury hasn't killed his speed great pickup for the money. Not as fast but way better hands than mvs.

Anyone know how his route running is? If it's sharp then he is our temporary #1 wr imo.

However I am very sceptical based on injury history

MVS was superior to the current version of Sammy. He has been for a couple years. That doesn't make this a bad signing, its just a point. MVS at this juncture runs better routes, is faster, and is a better blocker.

bobblehead
04-16-2022, 11:38 AM
Why not?

Was hoping for Fuller, but I am pulling for Watkins to be the 2022 Campbell Award winner for guys who had early promise in their careers, hit some bad years, then came to the Packers and played great.

Ah, I like it. We need a better name for the award though. We already have the Fuckdoggle for individual games. Ideas?

bobblehead
04-16-2022, 11:41 AM
I agree, but if healthy he still may be the most talented we currently have. Fill in a round one pick, a round 3 pick, a late round speed buy, and Winfree who showed flashes last year and that might be what we have to work with

With 28 of the QBs in the NFL that would be a real problem. With AR and a good run game that is enough.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2022, 11:57 AM
MVS was superior to the current version of Sammy. He has been for a couple years. That doesn't make this a bad signing, its just a point. MVS at this juncture runs better routes, is faster, and is a better blocker.

I had a really high opinion pf MVS, more than most people, but I tend to disagree with you here. Watkins should be a significantly better route runner and even though MVS didn't drop as many as early on, he still dropped more than he should have. Watkins should be better that way too. And he should be almost as good a deep threat. Probably give blocking to MVS too because he's a lot bigger, but I don't expect Watkins to be a liability there either.

I called it as soon as we signed Devondre Campbell that he would be good, and I'm calling it about Watkins too. If he's healthy, and I think he is, he should thrive with Rodgers and be a legitimate #1 WR. Whether we go for a primary deep threat (Watson or Olave) or more of a possession receiver (Burks), Watkins is a good complement for either type.

bobblehead
04-16-2022, 12:08 PM
I had a really high opinion pf MVS, more than most people, but I tend to disagree with you here. Watkins should be a significantly better route runner and even though MVS didn't drop as many as early on, he still dropped more than he should have. Watkins should be better that way too. And he should be almost as good a deep threat. Probably give blocking to MVS too because he's a lot bigger, but I don't expect Watkins to be a liability there either.

I called it as soon as we signed Devondre Campbell that he would be good, and I'm calling it about Watkins too. If he's healthy, and I think he is, he should thrive with Rodgers and be a legitimate #1 WR. Whether we go for a primary deep threat (Watson or Olave) or more of a possession receiver (Burks), Watkins is a good complement for either type.

Sorry, but MVS at this point is simply a much better player. He is better at every aspect of the game. He is faster, bigger and not batshit crazy. He has improved every year whereas sammy has declined. Sammy has combined 800 yards in 2 seasons since that article was written. If he found the magic, he isn't applying it correctly.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2022, 12:12 PM
Maybe, but I'm predicting it right now: Watkins has a better overall season in Green Bay than MVS has in K.C. I wouldn't even rule out Watkins coming close to as good in G.B. as Davante does in Oakland ...... oops Vegas.

Upnorth
04-16-2022, 12:16 PM

Per pro football reference mvs career catch percentage = 49.3
Watkins career catch % = 58.5, 64.5 with mahomes as qb.
He is slower but if he still runs good routes he is better than mvs.
Y/t mvs =8.7
Y/t Watkins =8.5
Y/r mvs =17.5
Y/r Watkins 14.5

Obvious analysis, mvs is a bigger but less consistent deep threat. Watkins will more often move the chains.
I bet we see more jones and dillion tds this year.

run pMc
04-16-2022, 03:04 PM
If Watkins is better than MVS, a LOT of NFL pro scouts and executives disagree as evidenced by the contracts they signed. Or maybe MVS' agent is just better?

Not saying Watkins won't have a good year, #12 could elevate his game. History suggests otherwise, however. He's a 1 year stopgap signing to help the youngsters and the team, but he's a WR3 at this point (and an oft-injured one at that) so there's only so much to expect from him.
Somewhere between 400 and 500 yards is about what I'm expecting.

Upnorth
04-16-2022, 03:16 PM
If Watkins is better than MVS, a LOT of NFL pro scouts and executives disagree as evidenced by the contracts they signed. Or maybe MVS' agent is just better?

Not saying Watkins won't have a good year, #12 could elevate his game. History suggests otherwise, however. He's a 1 year stopgap signing to help the youngsters and the team, but he's a WR3 at this point (and an oft-injured one at that) so there's only so much to expect from him.
Somewhere between 400 and 500 yards is about what I'm expecting.

I think the injury issue is what makes Watkins cheaper, and that is a massive factor. My above (simple) analysis wasn't me saying Watkins was a better player. Just he has better hands and that mvs is a better deep threat. Uninjured I do prefer Watkins in the absence of adams as he has a better chance of holding the ball. Uninjured Watkins is a high chance of 1000 years with a good qb. No such thing as uninjured watkins though.

Upnorth
04-16-2022, 03:36 PM
On a tangent if sanders is cheap he might be a good pick up still.
Or Keenan cole, if cheap.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2022, 05:12 PM
At this point, Watkins is WR #1 - that much is indisputable. Whether he still is after the draft and next season, that's debatable, but I'm thinking he still gets the most targets during the season. As for better than MVS, Rodgers will see to that, and MVS and Adams will do less well without Rodgers. MVS was smart enough to go where Mahomes is, but even young Patrick is no Rodgers. This year will put some things into perspective.

I doubt Cole is cheap, and Sanders is 35 yrs. old and probably washed up. I doubt either is as good as Watkins. Picking up Will Fuller for $4 or 5 million would be a better idea, but I doubt it happens. As I have said, when it comes to WRs, I trust established pros more than drafted rookies, in the short term at least.

Upnorth
04-17-2022, 07:32 AM
No way Sanders is as good as uninjured watkins but he will draw coverage and can help develop rookies. Dude is 35, to be in the league that long and still produce you have to know a lot.
Unless the draft goes amazingly well i hope Cole is around post June 1. I think of him as a legit #2 and with him Lazard Watkins as our outside #2s it will take pressure of our #1 wr rookie. I think tamari is going to look better this year. He was no good on st but he maybe learnt how to be on the same page as rodgers last year. He needs to make a year 2 jump.