PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your 3 Draft Commandments?

The Shadow
04-24-2022, 02:54 PM
1. Trust the Tape!
Beware the guys who underachieved in games - but have great physical attributes & tested well in workouts. The tape will show you the real football players - and often their poor athletic testing results don't indicate how good they are on the field.

2. Beware the "Freak"!
Every year, a player or two is called "an athletic freak". Too often, these guys are overdrafted based on the unrealized potential that is sure to be unlocked by a savvy coaching staff.
And also too often, the guy with the Frankie Bag-o-Doughnuts build slides down the draft board because he is not an Adonis.

3. Never, never, never draft any player who shows up for the draft dressed in a garish red suit. If he is also wearing a fluffy bow tie - so much the worse. Also avoid players carrying around a giant portrait of their grandmother.

RashanGary
04-24-2022, 03:02 PM
Jaire

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaire+alexander+suit&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiJ6aHzvq33AhVXGM0KHX2kAvQQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=jaire+alexander+suit&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBgg AEAgQHjoHCAAQsQMQQzoECAAQQzoGCAAQDRAeOgQIABANOgQIH hAKOggIABAIEA0QHjoECAAQGFDqC1iOJ2CQK2gDcAB4AIABfog BkAiSAQM3LjSYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=sqxlYonIJdewtAb9yIqgDw&bih=720&biw=414&prmd=niv&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS641US641&hl=en-US#imgrc=PvjRuuTOtQW_iM

RashanGary
04-24-2022, 03:04 PM
You sound like old school Ted Thompson.

run pMc
04-24-2022, 03:47 PM
only 3 rules? They have to be pretty general then.

Aside from what you've mentioned I'd add something like

1. Draft BPA, not solely for need
2. Beware of trading up; more picks = more chances to hit on a player
3. Watch for red flags involving medical history or personality/criminal issues.

You could get wayyy more specific like "don't draft an IOL in R1 unless you know they are going to be All-Pro. (ex. Steve Hutchinson etc.)" but you'd probably need more than 3 of those.

run pMc
04-24-2022, 03:47 PM
Jaire

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaire+alexander+suit&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiJ6aHzvq33AhVXGM0KHX2kAvQQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=jaire+alexander+suit&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBgg AEAgQHjoHCAAQsQMQQzoECAAQQzoGCAAQDRAeOgQIABANOgQIH hAKOggIABAIEA0QHjoECAAQGFDqC1iOJ2CQK2gDcAB4AIABfog BkAiSAQM3LjSYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=sqxlYonIJdewtAb9yIqgDw&bih=720&biw=414&prmd=niv&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS641US641&hl=en-US#imgrc=PvjRuuTOtQW_iM

LOL that was the first thing that came to mind for me.

George Cumby
04-24-2022, 08:29 PM
1. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA

Joemailman
04-24-2022, 09:50 PM
Don't trade up to draft a punter.

Draft more big ugly guys than fast handsome guys.

Be willing to have fans and media say, "WTF?".

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2022, 03:09 AM
only 3 rules? They have to be pretty general then.

Aside from what you've mentioned I'd add something like

1. Draft BPA, not solely for need
2. Beware of trading up; more picks = more chances to hit on a player
3. Watch for red flags involving medical history or personality/criminal issues.

You could get wayyy more specific like "don't draft an IOL in R1 unless you know they are going to be All-Pro. (ex. Steve Hutchinson etc.)" but you'd probably need more than 3 of those.

These are better than the first post. :) I'd say don't overrate production in college. This isn't about how productive a player was in college, but how they project to the NFL. It's why the Rashan Garys and Travon Walkers of the world get drafted early. Yes, some of them miss, but they hit more than guys like, for example, Josh Ross (super productive ILB at Michigan who isn't an NFL caliber athlete).

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2022, 06:22 AM
Ok Leo Chanel, freak production at Wisconsin, and Freak testing numbers, but yet doesn't project inside the first round. If he played in the SEC and wasn't from Northern Wisconsin I am sure teams would have a different projection for him.

Spaulding
04-25-2022, 07:27 AM
Ok Leo Chanel, freak production at Wisconsin, and Freak testing numbers, but yet doesn't project inside the first round. If he played in the SEC and wasn't from Northern Wisconsin I am sure teams would have a different projection for him.

Thoughts on when he should go in the draft? Granted I'm a homer but I'm guessing by mid second round and thus before the Packers have a chance to draft him late in the 2nd with either of their picks.

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2022, 07:58 AM
1. Draft primarily for need - "BPA" is fools gold, often bogus opinion.
2. Emphasize performance in games over combine results in early rounds, and maybe take some flyers on those "freaky athletes" in late rounds.
3. De-emphasize those "big and ugly"/"yokozuma types" on both sides of the ball, especially O Linemen.

Really, though, don't have any rules or commandments, as there are way too many exceptions in all cases.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-25-2022, 09:22 AM
1. Draft primarily for need - "BPA" is fools gold, often bogus opinion.
2. Emphasize performance in games over combine results in early rounds, and maybe take some flyers on those "freaky athletes" in late rounds.
3. De-emphasize those "big and ugly"/"yokozuma types" on both sides of the ball, especially O Linemen.

Really, though, don't have any rules or commandments, as there are way too many exceptions in all cases.

Word.

RashanGary
04-25-2022, 09:55 AM
Use the tape over stat lines. Consistency shows up on tape and sometimes doesnt show in the stat line.

All things being equal, draft the big guys who can move first (OT, DL and Edge). Theyre the hardest to find. Add QB to this list because theyre also rare.

Draft stable, hard working, high character guys. Deep down everyone is good, but that doesnt mean you can count on them to produce.

Fritz
04-25-2022, 10:16 AM
Use the tape over stat lines. Consistency shows up on tape and sometimes doesnt show in the stat line.

All things being equal, draft the big guys who can move first (OT, DL and Edge). Theyre the hardest to find. Add QB to this list because theyre also rare.

Draft stable, hard working, high character guys. Deep down everyone is good, but that doesnt mean you can count on them to produce.

1. Draft guys with hot girlfriends. Avoid the guy with the long-time girlfriend.
2. If you're really sold on a guy, and he doesn't pass rule #1, be sure his mom is hot. Aidan Hutchinson's mom comes to mind.
3. Make sure dad's not too involved in the guy's career. That's trouble.

Oh, and if you haven't seen her, this is Aidan Hutchinson's mom. Yes, mom. Can you imagine Aidan's buddies all offering to come over to his house and hangout in the hot tub? "Hey, is your mom gonna be there?"

http://www.egotasticsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/wwolver.png

Upnorth
04-25-2022, 03:31 PM
1)figure out your draft teirs, and bpa in a tier that matches need is way to go
2) if no tier appropriate picks left in that round trade back for more picks this year or better picks next year
3) don't over react and be willing to admit you are wrong. Gary was such a stupid pick. Dillion was a waste. Sternberger will be a difference maker. In the end time will tell.

So who is going to go full on gbb by Sunday? Or maybe even by Friday? I look forward to the drama.

red
04-25-2022, 07:08 PM
NEVER EVER, draft a punter or kicker

i don't care if you think he's a future HOFer. you can pick up really good kickers and punters off the street at any point during the year

red
04-25-2022, 07:15 PM
1)figure out your draft teirs, and bpa in a tier that matches need is way to go
2) if no tier appropriate picks left in that round trade back for more picks this year or better picks next year
3) don't over react and be willing to admit you are wrong. Gary was such a stupid pick. Dillion was a waste. Sternberger will be a difference maker. In the end time will tell.

So who is going to go full on gbb by Sunday? Or maybe even by Friday? I look forward to the drama.

the tier system can screw you hard

unless tier 1 is - wr, wr, wr, wr, wr and wr

we have to draft at least 1 WR high this year. i forget what year it was, but we had a huge need at some spot, probably WR. we didn't take shit even though the draft was supposedly loaded at the position. the excuse was that there there was better value available even though we didn't need the player (hell it might have been the Love pick)

you can't just sit there and trade back and hope a guy that you like makes it to your next pick. you have to get aggressive. or else the fucking vikings end up taking justin jefferson right before you select

bobblehead
04-26-2022, 09:03 AM
1) Only take the fat chic home after you struck out with at least 3 hot chics, and never before 1am
2) Double check that your wife didn't fly home to surprise you before applying rule #1
3) Never play overly loose just to get in a pot with a bad player. He will get lucky and lose your chips to a good player.

Jaire
04-26-2022, 01:34 PM
1) No WR in round one.
2) See one.
3) This is a deep class at WR. Move down and take Watson, Pierce, or Pickens in round two. (Also deep at more premier positions.)

Jaire
04-26-2022, 01:36 PM

we have to draft at least 1 WR high this year. i forget what year it was, but we had a huge need at some spot, probably WR. we didn't take shit even though the draft was supposedly loaded at the position. the excuse was that there there was better value available even though we didn't need the player (hell it might have been the Love pick)

you can't just sit there and trade back and hope a guy that you like makes it to your next pick. you have to get aggressive. or else the fucking vikings end up taking justin jefferson right before you select

That was an overall weak draft. I do agree we should have (maybe Gute did) tried to jump Minnesota for Jefferson. After the wideouts went, there wasn't much left after that (WR or otherwsie).

Tony Oday
04-26-2022, 01:57 PM
Trade your second for Waller, get DeBo, go all the F in this year! lol

Upnorth
04-26-2022, 04:23 PM

No, but giving lots to trade up for one shot vrs a little to trade back for a couple shots in this year's deep but mostly wr2 quality group makes more sense.
we need to take 3 shots at wr/te in rds 2&3 vs 1 in rd 1 early. Trading up to 'elite' territory from 22 is expensive