PDA

View Full Version : Who WILL Gute Draft At #22 and #28 (Pick 2!)

Joemailman
04-25-2022, 06:40 PM
It's prediction time. Pick which 2 players Gute will draft Thursday Night.

You have until right before draft to make picks. Other is an option.

Poll to follow.

red
04-25-2022, 06:50 PM
no clue

but i have a feeling we only make one pick thursday night

not sure if we trade up or trade down, but i'm thinking 1 pick. someone on the radio yesterday said that there might be some interest from teams try to trade up into the first ahead of the lions to grab a late 1st QB

Joemailman
04-25-2022, 06:52 PM
The title should have been which 2 players will Gute draft in the 1st round. Draft positions could end up being different than 22 and 28

Joemailman
04-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Daxton Hill and Treylon Burks.

red
04-25-2022, 07:03 PM
christian watson, seems like the top of pick that none of us see coming and no one thinks is a first round pick, but we take him in the first anyways

then i like the idea of nakobe dean. seems to fit that smaller safety/ILB hybrid type player. him and campbell might make a decent pairing

although we do need another OLB to add in to the rotation. maybe the other guy from michigan who's hurt

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2022, 07:12 PM
No Travis Jones?

Joemailman
04-25-2022, 07:30 PM
No Travis Jones?

Jones just missed the cut. Only have 20 options in poll. Used ESPN Analytics as a basis . Most see him as a early/mid 2nd round pick.

Upnorth
04-25-2022, 08:33 PM
I picked karlaftis and penning. I guess I want to watch the world burn

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2022, 09:56 PM
I just heard a report that there is a trade in the works with the Raiders to get Darren Waller for the second round pick we got from them for Adams. Supposedly, the Adams trade was originally gonna be Adams for the #1 plus Waller, but there's a rule against combining a franchised player with a draft pick in a trade or something like that. So presumably, getting Waller for the Raiders #2 pick would amount to the same thing now.

That being the case, we would still have both first round picks.

I guess I approve of a trade like that.

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2022, 10:06 PM
Polls like this are always always a bit of a conflict between who do you predict versus who would you want. I'll go with Karlaftis and Burks as a prediction, although I'd rather have Watson than Burks.

Bretsky
04-25-2022, 10:11 PM
I just heard a report that there is a trade in the works with the Raiders to get Darren Waller for the second round pick we got from them for Adams. Supposedly, the Adams trade was originally gonna be Adams for the #1 plus Waller, but there's a rule against combining a franchised player with a draft pick in a trade or something like that. So presumably, getting Waller for the Raiders #2 pick would amount to the same thing now.

That being the case, we would still have both first round picks.

I guess I approve of a trade like that.

ARE YOU SCOOPING A DEAL AHEAD OF ME ???????????????????

Where did you hear this ?

I would give a 2nd for Waller but I kinda doubt the Raiders would take that

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2022, 10:20 PM
Basaraki and another one on YouTube both said that Aaron Nagler reported it - not sure but being negotiated.

cheesner
04-26-2022, 08:17 AM
Burks and Ebeketie

cheesner
04-26-2022, 08:21 AM
ARE YOU SCOOPING A DEAL AHEAD OF ME ???????????????????

Where did you hear this ?

I would give a 2nd for Waller but I kinda doubt the Raiders would take that
Waller missed a few games last season and has a big contract. Not sure if the Raiders would take a 2nd or not. But it's possible. I would do it for a 2nd. He is a really good player and a great person - at least he comes across that way in interviews.

bobblehead
04-26-2022, 08:57 AM
I went Zion and Pickens. Seems like 2 gutes/scheme picks. Zion is really good at cutting off the backside. Something Turner was good at. Something vital for the MiLF system.

bobblehead
04-26-2022, 08:58 AM
no clue

but i have a feeling we only make one pick thursday night

not sure if we trade up or trade down, but i'm thinking 1 pick. someone on the radio yesterday said that there might be some interest from teams try to trade up into the first ahead of the lions to grab a late 1st QB

given our future cap woes, we need all the draft capital we can muster. I won't be upset if Gutes trades back, but I might be a bit miffed if he trades up....so he probably is going to trade up.

Fritz
04-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Waller missed a few games last season and has a big contract. Not sure if the Raiders would take a 2nd or not. But it's possible. I would do it for a 2nd. He is a really good player and a great person - at least he comes across that way in interviews.

Which second round pick would they give up for this guy?

And can the team afford another 30 year old who wants a big payday?

I dunno. Keep the pick, I think, and make do until Tonyan comes back.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2022, 10:33 AM
I could see "keep the pick, I think, and make do until Tonyan comes back" too, so it won't bother me if this is all smoke from the damn media and no fire. It would be nice, though, to have a star quality TE like Waller was and should still be. Apparently the deal was agreed to for it to be the higher of the two second rounders (the Raiders pick) at the time of the Adams deal, so presumably it's still that.

red
04-26-2022, 04:58 PM
I went Zion and Pickens. Seems like 2 gutes/scheme picks. Zion is really good at cutting off the backside. Something Turner was good at. Something vital for the MiLF system.

i guess theres some massive character concerns with pickens

sounds like he failed his combine interviews with flying colors. not sure if he came off as full on retard, a diva, a douchebag or a moron, but some teams are dropping him completely from their boards because he was so bad

and we all know teams are willing to look past most of those things if the talent is there, so something must be seriously wrong with him

or it could just be all pre combine bullshit

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/4/25/23041528/nfl-draft-rumors-potential-patriots-draft-target-george-pickens

Scout 2: George Pickens. There’s a lot of upside, but he can’t get out of his own way. He’s been enabled his whole life.

WR Coach 3: Pickens. You love his game, but there’s some issues. Do you want to work with him? He’s a top-6 talent-wise, but it’s impossible not to add those other things. He has the size, has really good range. He positions his body on deep throws. He consistently beats press coverage. Has good start-stops with some AI (Allen Iverson) crossover in his game. A lot of the stuff in (Todd Monken’s) system translates to the NFL. But I wouldn’t touch him.

WR Coach 5 on Pickens: On tape, he is probably a top-5 wide receiver but there’s just so many red flags, and they’re big red flags. He’s got a lot of growing up to do. If he goes to the right place with a room full of veterans that help him go the right way, I think he’ll have a chance.

Jaire
04-26-2022, 07:10 PM
No Travis Jones?

Yeah,

The more I think about it, the more I think Wyatt or Jones are the pick at 22 (or 28). If it falls right, I really see them taking an edge and DL ... if it falls of course. Also just been watching a bunch of draft preview today. I don't think the round one WRs are as good a value (in this draft) as the round two.

Or I see them picking DL first then Edge & WR the next two, maybe WR first.

RashanGary
04-26-2022, 08:52 PM
We could have 4 quality DL and Id still hope for a DL in the first round. DL is the hardest position to fill and one of the most important positions on the field.

Upnorth
04-27-2022, 07:11 AM
Yeah,

The more I think about it, the more I think Wyatt or Jones are the pick at 22 (or 28). If it falls right, I really see them taking an edge and DL ... if it falls of course. Also just been watching a bunch of draft preview today. I don't think the round one WRs are as good a value (in this draft) as the round two.

If we get a solid dl and sid edge this d will be ridiculously good. And if we can get an ok s in 3rd or later I will be very confident in our d.
Its amazing what a quaility ilb does (or appears to do) or the whole d unit.

Jaire
04-27-2022, 08:08 AM
Polls like this are always always a bit of a conflict between who do you predict versus who would you want. I'll go with Karlaftis and Burks as a prediction, although I'd rather have Watson than Burks.

I really want to like Burks. I just don't see him getting open: and that's in college. Also, his lack of athleticism shows on the field.

Jaire
04-27-2022, 08:13 AM
given our future cap woes, we need all the draft capital we can muster. I won't be upset if Gutes trades back, but I might be a bit miffed if he trades up....so he probably is going to trade up.

I don't see too much worth moving up for. whereas the second and third rounds are deep: a good year to trade back and really fill all the cupboards with quality

Joemailman
04-27-2022, 08:33 AM
I really want to like Burks. I just don't see him getting open: and that's in college. Also, his lack of athleticism shows on the field.
I agree his route running, at least as it is right now, isn't getting him open a lot. His strength is winning contestable balls and running after the catch. Think Anquan Boldin or Alshon Jeffrey. And you scheme to get him open. That is something MLF's offense can do, but hasn't been done much due to the emphasis on getting the ball to Adams.

Fritz
04-27-2022, 09:49 AM
I agree his route running, at least as it is right now, isn't getting him open a lot. His strength is winning contestable balls and running after the catch. Think Anquan Boldin or Alshon Jeffrey. And you scheme to get him open. That is something MLF's offense can do, but hasn't been done much due to the emphasis on getting the ball to Adams.

I think my favorite WR in this class is Olave. He's a very good route runner, seems to have good hands (correct me if I'm wrong), and has speed. What's not to like? But I think he'll be gone by 22.

I want someone with good hands. You can teach route running, but a guy with iffy hands - I've heard this about the ND guy, Watson - well, you can only do so much with that deficit at this level. So I think you could teach Burks to be a better route runner but can you teach Watson to catch that much better?

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 10:00 AM
I think my favorite WR in this class is Olave. He's a very good route runner, seems to have good hands (correct me if I'm wrong), and has speed. What's not to like? But I think he'll be gone by 22.

I want someone with good hands. You can teach route running, but a guy with iffy hands - I've heard this about the ND guy, Watson - well, you can only do so much with that deficit at this level. So I think you could teach Burks to be a better route runner but can you teach Watson to catch that much better?

The negatives on Olave would be that he offers little after the catch or on contested catches, and he's not a good blocker (187lbs). People see him being WR2 at the NFL level. Hell, he was WR3 at Ohio State.

Watson doesn't have great hands, but he improved his senior year (2 drops on 58 targets with 43 receptions). Also, he had one of the highest depth of targets in college football. This guy wasn't getting fed bubble screens and crossers to pad his catch rate stats. At least, his hands are better than MVS. His ball tracking much better.

Fritz
04-27-2022, 10:19 AM
The negatives on Olave would be that he offers little after the catch or on contested catches, and he's not a good blocker (187lbs). People see him being WR2 at the NFL level. Hell, he was WR3 at Ohio State.

Watson doesn't have great hands, but he improved his senior year (2 drops on 58 targets with 43 receptions). Also, he had one of the highest depth of targets in college football. This guy wasn't getting fed bubble screens and crossers to pad his catch rate stats. At least, his hands are better than MVS. His ball tracking much better.

Well, blocking you can teach. But I defer to you here, as I have not really studied them as you have. My observations are just feelings, while yours are based on actually studying this stuff.

bobblehead
04-27-2022, 10:31 AM
i guess theres some massive character concerns with pickens

sounds like he failed his combine interviews with flying colors. not sure if he came off as full on retard, a diva, a douchebag or a moron, but some teams are dropping him completely from their boards because he was so bad

and we all know teams are willing to look past most of those things if the talent is there, so something must be seriously wrong with him

or it could just be all pre combine bullshit

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/4/25/23041528/nfl-draft-rumors-potential-patriots-draft-target-george-pickens

I noticed these were all anonymous so I don't know how much truth there is to it. A lot of guys are bad mouthing a dude this time of year in hopes they can force his slide to their pick. Pickens was a 5 star recruit and has the size and speed combo GMs covet. It could all be true, but I just don't know. And if Gutes goes big man (DT or OL) with 23 then Pickens at 28 makes too much sense. We'll see. The reason I discount the reports as much as I do is because no one mentions what these "red flags" are exactly. He hasn't punched a woman, been arrested for drugs, suspended from the team. I would like to see what these flags are exactly. But maybe there is truth to it all. We as fans just don't get all the information.

bobblehead
04-27-2022, 10:33 AM
Yeah,

I have looked at the mock drafts and can't believe some don't even have Wyatt in the first round. Seriously? How often do you see an NFL draft with less than 3 DL big men in the 1st. I suspect that Davis is gone when we pick and probably Wyatt also. If either is there, then we need to make that pick.

bobblehead
04-27-2022, 10:37 AM

Pickens has the best hands in the draft and he is just gifted at leveraging positions. His route running is solid. Honestly I have convinced myself he is the best value at WR in this draft. I have been on Olave from the start. He is the best fit, but we would have to take him at 23. No way we get him at 28. With a 23 pick you have to take best value and I suspect that will be OL or DL.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 11:47 AM
I have looked at the mock drafts and can't believe some don't even have Wyatt in the first round. Seriously? How often do you see an NFL draft with less than 3 DL big men in the 1st. I suspect that Davis is gone when we pick and probably Wyatt also. If either is there, then we need to make that pick.

I think Wyatt's multiple domestic violence incidents make him very iffy to be high on the Packers board. Give me Travis Jones instead.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 11:49 AM
Pickens has the best hands in the draft and he is just gifted at leveraging positions. His route running is solid. Honestly I have convinced myself he is the best value at WR in this draft. I have been on Olave from the start. He is the best fit, but we would have to take him at 23. No way we get him at 28. With a 23 pick you have to take best value and I suspect that will be OL or DL.

I think Trey McBride, Jahan Dotson, and Charlie Kolar have the best hands in the draft.

bobblehead
04-28-2022, 12:03 PM

The latest 2 mocks that I have seen from guys who I have learned to lean on have Burks to GB at 23. I can see it to be honest. Getting open can be schemed, but being a 6'2" 225lb YAC machine can't. He is Deebo like. Bigger and stronger though. If MiLF is looking at how the 49ers created mismatches with Deebo at RB (much like I begged fat mike to do with Cobb and Montgomery) I can definitely see that being the pick.

This draft is crazy. I have seen Wyatt going in the 2nd round, and I have seen him top 15. Jordan Davis seems like a no brainer top 10 pick, but I never see him earlier than 12. Pickens rarely goes in the 1st, but I think he would be ok at 23. Today is gonna be fun. I honestly hope we trade back a couple times and manage to get another 2nd or 2.

bobblehead
04-28-2022, 12:04 PM

I'm thinking more Deebo and Antonio Gibson.

bobblehead
04-28-2022, 12:08 PM
I think Trey McBride, Jahan Dotson, and Charlie Kolar have the best hands in the draft.

I do love the way McBride catches with his hands in stride. I wasn't really thinking TEs when I said Pickens has the best hands. I still think he does. I think I read he only had 2 drops last year. I agree Dotson is also somewhat under rated. I really hope we DON'T take a WR at 23 since I love the next group (and I think Burks is available at 28 also).

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 12:26 PM
I only voted for 1, and the poll won't let me redo or add a second pick. I'm going to vote Christian Watson and Other in this poll. I'm hoping Other is Travis Jones.

Bretsky
04-28-2022, 01:08 PM
Hw I think you should start each days draft threads and in your initial post product who the packers draft with each pick

Joemailman
04-28-2022, 06:00 PM
Poll closes at 6:52.

Bretsky
04-28-2022, 06:10 PM
What they should do is pick the bla at 22 and trade 28. And move back 6 to 10’slots. Or get seattles two licks if at all possible. I would love gb to get either McBride or jelani woods or Kosar and 2 of top -0 wrs and an upside we late

red
04-28-2022, 06:39 PM
The latest 2 mocks that I have seen from guys who I have learned to lean on have Burks to GB at 23. I can see it to be honest. Getting open can be schemed, but being a 6'2" 225lb YAC machine can't. He is Deebo like. Bigger and stronger though. If MiLF is looking at how the 49ers created mismatches with Deebo at RB (much like I begged fat mike to do with Cobb and Montgomery) I can definitely see that being the pick.

This draft is crazy. I have seen Wyatt going in the 2nd round, and I have seen him top 15. Jordan Davis seems like a no brainer top 10 pick, but I never see him earlier than 12. Pickens rarely goes in the 1st, but I think he would be ok at 23. Today is gonna be fun. I honestly hope we trade back a couple times and manage to get another 2nd or 2.

i think about half the drafts i've seen have us taking burks at 22

i'd be fine with that

red
04-28-2022, 06:46 PM
What they should do is pick the bla at 22 and trade 28. And move back 6 to 10’slots. Or get seattles two licks if at all possible. I would love gb to get either McBride or jelani woods or Kosar and 2 of top -0 wrs and an upside we late

and then we don't get a starting WR

it seems to me from reading everything that theres a handful of elite WR's, another handful of good prospects, then you're normal amount of crap shoot guys

everyone seems to think that just because this is a "deep draft at WR" that we're just gonna be able to grab starters whenever. and i don't think its that case at all. i think a lot of these guys will take time to develop, and we just don't have time for that. we need at least 1 starter on day 1, so IMO you HAVE to get one from that top tier, trade up if you have too, but we have to get one of those guys

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 09:22 AM
Congrats to Fritz, Jaire, Sparkey, and SudsMcBucky for picking Wyatt. Getting a Gute 1st round pick right doesn't happen much.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 09:58 AM
Yeah,

Don't I get a point for Other? Nothing in the rules says I had to specify the other. It's like taking the field (of longshots).

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 10:36 AM
Don't I get a point for Other? Nothing in the rules says I had to specify the other. It's like taking the field (of longshots).

Maybe half a point:). I forgot to mention that people picking other should specify who other is. To me that's sort of implied. I was limited to how many options were allowed in the poll. There were guys I couldn't fit in who I wouldn't call a long shot. Your guy Travis Jones being one of them. Maybe I should have done 2 separate polls since there were 2 1st round picks.