PDA

View Full Version : 2022 First Round Pick, #22, Quay Walker discussion thread.

George Cumby
04-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Of course, nothing anyone would've expected, Gute follows in Ted's footsteps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNqzyP2jqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzuWPNzsvCY

Fast, aggressive, sure tackler, tall and rangy.

If he pans out, things just got tougher for NFCN offenses.

King Friday
04-28-2022, 10:04 PM
I don't like the pick, but the kid is a hell of an athlete and has a lot of length. He just didn't impress me as a top 30 talent. He got the benefit of playing on an all star defense where he could operate in space easily. It won't be that easy at the next level.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 10:26 PM
I don't like the pick, but the kid is a hell of an athlete and has a lot of length. He just didn't impress me as a top 30 talent. He got the benefit of playing on an all star defense where he could operate in space easily. It won't be that easy at the next level.

I'm fine with the player. Not happy with the positional value. Then again, if the Packers had gone Wyatt and then Walker, there would be less head scratching.

Upnorth
04-28-2022, 10:39 PM
I don't like this pick, but maybe it is the ted anti lb programming.

texaspackerbacker
04-28-2022, 10:45 PM
I can't think of much of any good reason for picking him when we already have Campbell for 3 or 4 years or more. For the little we use a second ILB, Kris Barnes was adequate. Maybe they took him for special teams, but that's a real stretch as a first round pick instead of a WR or Edge Rusher.

Joemailman
04-28-2022, 10:48 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2dRYjR8sCRL2RbqLskSaSr77oHY=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/23361212/WalkerQuay.jpg

RashanGary
04-28-2022, 10:49 PM
I can't think of much of any good reason for picking him when we already have Campbell for 3 or 4 years or more. For the little we use a second ILB, Kris Barnes was adequate. Maybe they took him for special teams, but that's a real stretch as a first round pick instead of a WR or Edge Rusher.

We would like to play 2-4 nickel. But weve had to play a lot of 2-3 dime where we had a third safety playing linebacker. Were going to see a lot more 2 linebacker packages.

texaspackerbacker
04-28-2022, 10:51 PM
Probably so, but I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

Joemailman
04-28-2022, 10:52 PM

By having 2 ILB's who can cover, they can play 2 ILB's more which makes for a tougher run defense. And he can rush the passer. He had 6 QB pressures in national title game vs. Alabama.

Bretsky
04-28-2022, 10:54 PM
Will be interesting to compare Jermaine Johnson with Walker year one. Jj and wyatt would have been easier to get on board with

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 11:24 PM
Will be interesting to compare Jermaine Johnson with Walker year one. Jj and wyatt would have been easier to get on board with

Why year one?

Bretsky
04-28-2022, 11:28 PM
Why year one?

That's the length of my attention span....lol

But you are right...over their career.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 12:46 AM
This is impressive.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1519897315070201857?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1519897315070201857%7Ctwgr% 5Ehb_0_10%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2 Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3 Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FBenFennell _NFL%2Fstatus%2F1519897315070201857%3Fs%3D2026t%3D _j-7SHoB_1_SO-SqYuytIA

George Cumby
04-29-2022, 03:35 AM
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-draft-quay-walker-georgia/?taid=62697479e7253e0001999ea8&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Jaire
04-29-2022, 06:39 AM
Surprised they drafted LB so high, but Joe Barry loves his lbs. This is a Barry pick all day. It's a deep LB class, but they got his guy.

King Friday
04-29-2022, 07:07 AM
If you are going to take an ILB in the first round, he better be a tremendous athlete with great size. Walker does meet that standard. I would be heavily disappointed with a 5'10" guy at that spot in the first.

I would've preferred Johnson, who I feel has the potential to be a three down DE at the pro level. My dislike of the pick is probably more tied to that. As far as an ILB prospect, Quay looks to be very good, and I hope he puts it together at the next level and becomes a Pro Bowl caliber player. To take a position like that at pick 22, he needs to become that for the pick to be worthwhile.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 08:27 AM
Hes 1/2 inch taller than Parsons. 4 pounds less. Parsons ran a 4.39 at his pro day, but lets call that a 4.44 because pro day times are cheat codes for faster times. Same 10 yard and 20 yard and quays times are from combine. Better agility from Quay.

Very similar athlete to Parsons.

I credit apb for the comp.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 09:22 AM
After having time to think about it, I still don't like this pick. He's not Micah Parsons. He is a good player though. I have absolutely no problem with the Packers having him ranked as the #1 LB. As I was finalizing my board yesterday, I didn't understand why Devin Lloyd and his 4.66 speed and solid (but not great) tape was considered a mid 1st round pick and tiny Nakobe Dean without any testing numbers was considered a 1st round pick were ranked so much higher than Walker. He has superior size and athleticism to those guys. I ultimately gave him the same grade as those guys, but ranked him 3rd.

However, it's all about positional value and, even more so, the cluster of good LBs in this draft. To me, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between Devin Lloyd and Troy Andersen, for example. If he turns out to be a really good player and solidifies this defense, none of it will matter though. Walker, Chenal, and Andersen have the best size/athleticism combo. I liked Walker more than Chenal because he's better in coverage. Andersen is raw--since he's new to the position.

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 09:30 AM
I'll be interested to see if the Packers will let Walker see some time at Edge. He had quite a few pressures at Georgia, but not a lot of sacks. That might indicate he has the athleticism to rush the passer, but not good technique to finish. I don't know if he was rushing the passer from Edge or Will positions.

Upnorth
04-29-2022, 09:36 AM
So I have read he is good against run, and more importantly, very good covering te. Harv can you confirm this?

If this is true the last few years it has been rb and te that kill us. Crazy athlete and fills a weakness. I'm now ok with this pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 09:50 AM
So I have read he is good against run, and more importantly, very good covering te. Harv can you confirm this?

If this is true the last few years it has been rb and te that kill us. Crazy athlete and fills a weakness. I'm now ok with this pick.

Yes, he's a really good all around LB. I think some thought the talent around him made him look better. However, I think he's one of the better LBs in this draft at shedding blockers. There's not a real weakness to his game--except maybe his instincts. That's hard to evaluate, but sometimes he's slow to recognize. It's not so bad that it's a fatal flaw though.

I don't think he showed much edge prowess, but Georgia blitzes their LBs A LOT. His speed made him good in that role.

The good thing with getting Georgia defensive players is their 3-4 scheme is more similar to the Packers scheme than most college defenses. He could be a really good player though. If he is, it would allow us to play more 2 ILBs and less 3 safeties--and give our run defense a boost.

Upnorth
04-29-2022, 10:17 AM
I think safety has become a need as savage is under preforming.
If this reduces our reliance on our s group then this could be a great pick

George Cumby
04-29-2022, 10:30 AM
This kid looks like that sideline to sideline 'Backer we haven't had for a loooong time, Campbell notwithstanding.

He's got the length, strength, athleticism and burst to work the edge from what little I've seen.

Sparkey
04-29-2022, 11:33 AM
I really like the pick. There is another plus not mentioned. He excelled on special teams for the Bulldogs.

Fritz
04-29-2022, 11:39 AM
Yes, he's a really good all around LB. I think some thought the talent around him made him look better. However, I think he's one of the better LBs in this draft at shedding blockers. There's not a real weakness to his game--except maybe his instincts. That's hard to evaluate, but sometimes he's slow to recognize. It's not so bad that it's a fatal flaw though.

I don't think he showed much edge prowess, but Georgia blitzes their LBs A LOT. His speed made him good in that role.

The good thing with getting Georgia defensive players is their 3-4 scheme is more similar to the Packers scheme than most college defenses. He could be a really good player though. If he is, it would allow us to play more 2 ILBs and less 3 safeties--and give our run defense a boost.

A I am reading, it seems this will free up Barry to play more 4-2 nickel instead of 5-1. IF this kid can cover a TE, then it gives them more flexibility - better run D while still covering the pass. So I can see it. And it makes even more sense with the next pick - that DT from Georgia. Now the middle there has the potential to be like TB's was two years ago. And as someone said, the safety need is lessened - maybe they draft someone later to try to develop.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2022, 01:02 PM
Watched a few games and my initial thoughts on Walker,

1. By no means is a he polished football player. Currently, his instincts for the game are not great.
2. Hesitant in the pass game in terms of zone matching skills, doesn't trust his reads or exactly where he is supposed to be, found to be covering grass more times than not.
3. Run game, again hesitant doesn't seem to be a film rat, or if he is it hasn't yet translated. Doesn't fully understand what offenses are trying to do, doesn't trust reads.
4. Not a full time player for the Bulldogs, he was a rotational guy for them, simply not close to being the best linebacker on the field for Georgia.
5. Not an edge rusher he is a LB.
6. Narrow frame, long limbs.
7. As of right now don't know how he is going to compete with other NFL caliber linebackers for playing time in Green Bay. He has a lot to improve on and hopefully the Packers didn't just fall in love with his athleticism and potential.
7. Tackling is a total plus for him.
8. Needs to improve block destruction

Fritz
04-29-2022, 01:24 PM
That's a downer of a post, Nutz.

Guys that seem to have no instinct but are good athletes . . . sniff, sniff . . . .wait, is that Oren Burks that I smell? No, no . . . oh, it's Josh Jones, maybe?

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2022, 01:47 PM
That's a downer of a post, Nutz.

Guys that seem to have no instinct but are good athletes . . . sniff, sniff . . . .wait, is that Oren Burks that I smell? No, no . . . oh, it's Josh Jones, maybe?

Sorry.
I remember watching the national title game and Dean just lighting him up down inside the 10 yard line for something stupid, and all of a sudden he turned up the gas and played his ass off the rest of the game. So there is that for ya.
But, I'll be honest I was really caught off guard with this pick. I really liked the Gary pick when everyone else jumped off a bridge, but I just don't see a first round grade on this guy when you could have had him in the 2nd round or later, and if he was taken before the Packers drafted who cares? Draft tiers are about even with the top 5-6 linebackers.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 02:11 PM
Sorry.
I remember watching the national title game and Dean just lighting him up down inside the 10 yard line for something stupid, and all of a sudden he turned up the gas and played his ass off the rest of the game. So there is that for ya.
But, I'll be honest I was really caught off guard with this pick. I really liked the Gary pick when everyone else jumped off a bridge, but I just don't see a first round grade on this guy when you could have had him in the 2nd round or later, and if he was taken before the Packers drafted who cares? Draft tiers are about even with the top 5-6 linebackers.

Wasn't that Tindall (#41) he was yelling at? Then, the next play Tindall got a sack.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2022, 02:29 PM
Wasn't that Tindall (#41) he was yelling at? Then, the next play Tindall got a sack.

Well, shit.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 03:09 PM
From Bob McGinn

3. QUAY WALKER, Georgia (6-3

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 03:14 PM
From Bob McGinn

3. QUAY WALKER, Georgia (6-3 1/2, 242, 4.52, 1-2): Played four years on the inside but wasn’t a starter until 2021 when he averaged just 40.7 snaps. “Rotational kind of guy,” one scout said. “Is he a great player? I wouldn’t go that far. If he was there in the second I’d say go ahead and do it. You’re not going to miss on the athlete or the height-weight-speed numbers. If you miss, it would be his instincts. He’s not reactive as an off-the-line player. But once he sees it he can absolutely fly.” Ran fast but his vertical jump (32 inches) and broad jump (10-2) were the poorest of the top 12 linebackers. “I think his instincts suck but the guy can run,” a second scout said. “In the 20’s, guys are going to take a shot on him. Not a green dot. Good kid.” Finished with 139 tackles (11 for loss), five sacks and no forced fumbles. “Physical taking on blocks,” said a third scout. “Needs to have a better blitz plan. Just kind of runs straight-ahead. Reacted better to routes in front of him in zone. Wasn’t sure how instinctive he is or what he’s seeing at times. Flashes a quick trigger but will take false steps or pause to read at times. Played on special teams but didn’t jump off the film. I don’t know if you’d want him as your Mike. He’s the third (best) of the three from Georgia.” Wonderlic of 9. “It’s hard to find those ones that are that big still and can run like that,” a fourth scout said. “He’ll strike you. He’ll be a Mike. He’ll be able to match guys athletically in coverage. Maybe not Year 1 (running the show) but you can get him caught up to speed where he can be functional. I don’t hear anything that says he can’t.” From Cordele, Ga. “I didn’t see much there,” said a fifth scout. “All those other (Georgia) guys go 100 miles an hour and he looks like he’s going about 60. Not a great athlete, not very physical, not very productive. He’s very similar to Lorenzo Carter who came out of there a few years ago. Something’s missing with him.”

Jaire
04-29-2022, 03:33 PM
Sorry.

Yeah. My take. It's not at all how GB usually "attacks" the ilb position. Would have liked their favorite edge there or Wyatt.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 04:11 PM
Boy, Quay Walker didnt get good reviews from the scouts. A linebacker who takes false steps and hesitates. Not a good sign.

He joins a veteran back end with Campbell, Amos, Savage, Douglas, Jaire and Stokes. Maybe they can get him lined up and playing together.

But at the single most instinct driven position, we draft a guy with none.

Not a good recipe.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2022, 04:39 PM
These McGinn writeups almost always make you feel like "how did this guy even get drafted." Scouts sound crusty when talking about these guys. Walker is not a good athlete? Yet, his 40yd, 10yd, 3 cone were all elite. Shuttle was solid. His RAS was 9.63. On the plus side, he can cover, he has range, good tackler and overall run defender, he sheds well. Just a really good all around LB with really good size and athleticism.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 05:55 PM
These McGinn writeups almost always make you feel like "how did this guy even get drafted." Scouts sound crusty when talking about these guys. Walker is not a good athlete? Yet, his 40yd, 10yd, 3 cone were all elite. Shuttle was solid. His RAS was 9.63. On the plus side, he can cover, he has range, good tackler and overall run defender, he sheds well. Just a really good all around LB with really good size and athleticism.

It wasnt all bad. They said hed go in the 20s. Said its hard to find guys that big and that fast. Said he can shed. Said he can run once he triggers. Said he can hit. But one guy said something was missing. And said he takes false steps and hesitates.

Teamcheez1
04-29-2022, 06:03 PM
It wasnt all bad. They said hed go in the 20s. Said its hard to find guys that big and that fast. Said he can shed. Said he can run once he triggers. Said he can hit. But one guy said something was missing. And said he takes false steps and hesitates.

His weaknesses still sound better than AJ Hawk or Blake Martinez.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 07:35 PM
Fact/stat: Fourth-year senior Started 17 of 52 games, including 15 in 2021 … Finished with 11 tackles for loss, five sacks, no forced fumbles and no interceptions.

What NFL scouts told me about him before the draft…

NFC scout: “I trust this kid. He played inside off the ball. He’s big but he moves liken a smaller guy. He’s got good range. He’ll strike you. He’ll be a mike. He’ll be able to match guys athletically in coverage. People didn’t think he’d run as well as he did. It’s hard to find those ones that are that big still and can run like that … Maybe not Year 1 (run the show) but you can get him caught up to speed where he can be functional. I don’t hear anything that says he can’t.”

AFC scout: “He might be more of an outside backer in a 3-4. He’s not super instinctive and reactive as an off-the-line player, but once he sees it he can absolutely fly. He’s a height-weight-speed prospect with questionable instincts. He was a rotational kind of guy at Georgia. Is he a great player? I wouldn’t go that far. If he was there in the second round I’d say go ahead and do it. You’re not going to miss on the athlete or the height-weight-speed numbers. If you miss it would be his (instincts). He can’t be the green dot.”

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much there. All those other guys (at Georgia) go 100 miles an hour. He looks like he’s going about 60. Not a great athlete. Not very physical. Not very productive. He moved around to different spots. They used him (to cover) but I don’t think he’s very good. He’s very similar to Lorenzo Carter (Giants) who came out of there a few years ago (2018). Something’s missing with him.”

AFC scout: “He probably wouldn’t wear the green dot.”

AFC scout: “Really like him. He plays in a rotation but he has the traits to be a good starting player.”

AFC scout: “Good size and athletic. Best on a straight line. Good tackler. Lacks instincts in the run and the pass. It’d be a concern if he’s on the field full-time.”

AFC scout: “Very quiet and keeps to himself. Not a bad kid but poor communicator at times and emotional. Can be hard to deal with outside of football. Off-ball linebacker not completely natural to him. Able to learn the defense. Not a leader. Instincts slow him down some. Is at his best when he can just chase and hit.”

NFC scout: “I think they (his instincts) suck. But the guy can run. He’s going in the first round. In the 20’s, guys are going to take a shot on him. He’s a good kid. No instincts. No way (he can wear green dot).”

AFC scout: “Tested out well. He was more athlete than player. He was a defensive end out of high school. Big, athletic and fast. Has twitch and speed. Very good lateral pursuit speed. He’s physical taking on blocks. Needs to have a better blitz plan. He just kind of runs straight ahead. Reacted better to routes in front of him than in zone. I wasn’t sure how instinctive he is or what he’s seeing at times. Flashes a quick trigger but will take false steps or pause to read at times. Played on special teams but didn’t jump off the film. Second or third round. Too big and fast not to go on Day 2. He’s athletic and fast enough to play will. I don’t know if you’d want to have him as your mike. He’s the third of three (linebackers) from Georgia. He is an athlete.”

AFC scout: “Like him. He plays the run. Steps up and fills. He took people on more than (Nakobe) Dean whereas Dean was the guy out in space.”

AFC scout: “He’s green. Only started for one year. Can’t run the defense. He can play on all three downs. He’s big and tall and can run. He’s better than (Patrick) Queen.”

AFC scout: “He can run. Strong, good range. Solid vs. the run and the pass. Not a great blitzer. Could probably play all three spots. Second round.”

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 07:40 PM
The good news is he won't be expected to run the defense for a while. Packers initially will need to use him in situations and alignments where he can use his athleticism.

George Cumby
04-29-2022, 07:42 PM
FWIW, the NFL Network guys on Sirius seemed to like him.

RashanGary
04-29-2022, 07:51 PM
The good news is he won't be expected to run the defense for a while. Packers initially will need to use him in situations and alignments where he can use his athleticism.

Yep. Hes in a good position to suite his skillset.

Bretsky
04-29-2022, 08:05 PM
our Defense would be unstoppable with Jim Leonard as our DC :))

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 02:06 PM
Quay Walker is to linebackers as Josh Jones is to safeties. In other words, a total bust.

And the worst part, theyre going to force this nim rod on the field and its going to turn into the dysfunction that we had when they forced Jones on the field. Players were outwardly bitching that guys who dont belong on the field were playing.

Josh Jones 2.0.

Trash pick. Dysfunction.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 02:10 PM
Reverse jinx. I like it.

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 07:32 PM
Quay Walker's highlight reel is like 4 plays long. You should see it, a bunch boring nothing.

I want to like this guy, but I don't.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 07:36 PM
What did you think of his game against Alabama in the National championship?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGi6RNiSsI&t=9892s

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 07:55 PM
What did you think of his game against Alabama in the National championship?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGi6RNiSsI&t=9892s

I'm watching it. Just got through the first defensive drive. He's looking pretty average so far. I like that he can tackle high and still win. He's so strong as a tackler, he can rip a guy down any which way. But all the writeups say he can tackle. I want to like him. He doesn't seem to be playing incredibly fast. But he is so tall too, sometimes those long strides are deceiving.

Sparkey
04-30-2022, 10:23 PM
Irony: We bitch about the Packers poor run defense for the last 10 years and how they get killed by TE's over the middle. Then we pick a really good ILB in the first round and we dead pan the pick as a waste.

The Ravens had Walker targeted at 23. Dropped back to 25 after the Packers selected him.

The run defense with Walker and Wyatt should be much improved.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 10:54 PM
Irony: We bitch about the Packers poor run defense for the last 10 years and how they get killed by TE's over the middle. Then we pick a really good ILB in the first round and we dead pan the pick as a waste.

The Ravens had Walker targeted at 23. Dropped back to 25 after the Packers selected him.

We have an ILB who can cover; we drafted a great athlete who played less than 60% of the defensive snaps in, yardage wise, the "2nd" best defense in the NCAA

I'm "ok" with the pick; but ILB was no longer the need it's been because we have that ILB now on our roster already. And we needed an EDGE so if they went D pretty surprised it wasn't Jermaine Johnson

To go a step further, over the course of time I'd be very surprised if he has more of an impact on the Packers as opposed to Watson.

Had that just drafted Watson, they keep their two seconds and there were ILB's who were pretty good in round two. And then add a player, maybe a WR/TE/EDGE in round two.

I'm "ok" with the pick, but it's not surprising at all that our reaction would be WTH

I agree with the run defense improving.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2022, 03:24 AM
ESPN

Pre-Draft Analysis
Walker is a rangy run-defender and strong striker who wraps up ball-carriers. He matches up well with tight ends in coverage and shows good awareness in zone. He has some upside as a pass-rusher. Walker flashes the ability to slip blocks, and he closes well. He has experience rushing off the edge and between the tackles. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis
Green Bay did well to re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, but it needed to add a linebacker capable of pushing for the starting spot opposite him in the Packers' base odd man front. Walker fits the bill and should also make an immediate impact on special teams. -- Muench

Projected Year 1 impact: Candidate to start. As a one-year starter at Georgia, Walker is still very raw, but he has a chance to play early in Green Bay. -- Jordan Reid

Jaire
05-01-2022, 07:11 AM

That makes me feel better. Ravens know how to draft LBs, like how GB is with receivers and OL.

RashanGary
05-01-2022, 09:41 AM
Watching him in the championship game, I think he times his blitzes well. Even if hes not instinctive and you cant count on him to run the defense and he struggles, at least you can blitz him and feel good about it. Hes built like a small edge. I wouldnt even be surprised if after he fails at ILB that they try him outside like they did with Oren Burks

RashanGary
05-01-2022, 09:52 AM
I think hes going to be slightly better than the last instinct lacking ILB we drafted, Oren Burks.

He can blitz. He can take on blocks. He can run (not that it matters like Oren Burks showed, when you dont know which way to run.)

He should be a good special teams player. Probably gonna have to eventually try him at OLB.

A very Oren Burks like trajectory but slightly better because he does a few things well that will show up.

bobblehead
05-01-2022, 10:42 AM
I'm watching it. Just got through the first defensive drive. He's looking pretty average so far. I like that he can tackle high and still win. He's so strong as a tackler, he can rip a guy down any which way. But all the writeups say he can tackle. I want to like him. He doesn't seem to be playing incredibly fast. But he is so tall too, sometimes those long strides are deceiving.

His strength is the same as Campbells. He is a large off ball LB who doesn't need to come off the field. Sometimes just not allowing an offense to attack a weakness is a strength of its own.

That said I hated the pick. Most of the dominant 3-4 Ds only had one "guy" at ILB. I didn't see a need for this pick at all. HOWEVER, Gutes has earned the benefit of the doubt from me. They say this is the guy they needed to allow Barry to use better packages, then I have to accept that until I see different.

bobblehead
05-01-2022, 10:47 AM

My only bitch is that we already found the solution. I was begging for a trade up for Jamin Davis or a trade back for Koramoah?? (I think was the guy) last year. Gutes made the right call with Stokes (and I loved the pick after studying it). Then he found the solution in Campbell and I was giddy. But we had the answer already...not sure what adding a similar player does for us unless we really play a lot of base or 2-4 which I know Wist LOVES!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-01-2022, 10:57 AM
My only bitch is that we already found the solution. I was begging for a trade up for Jamin Davis or a trade back for Koramoah?? (I think was the guy) last year. Gutes made the right call with Stokes (and I loved the pick after studying it). Then he found the solution in Campbell and I was giddy. But we had the answer already...not sure what adding a similar player does for us unless we really play a lot of base or 2-4 which I know Wist LOVES!!!

Krys Barnes is, as ole Bretsky likes to say, a JAG. Shouldn’t be anywhere in the rye, except when a punter or kicker is on the field.

I dunno about you, but I dig linebackers who can cover, blitz and shed blocks. Walker appears to be that type of ‘backer, the antithesis of the last great white hope, AJ Hawk.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-01-2022, 11:14 AM
His strength is the same as Campbells. He is a large off ball LB who doesn't need to come off the field. Sometimes just not allowing an offense to attack a weakness is a strength of its own.

That said I hated the pick. Most of the dominant 3-4 Ds only had one "guy" at ILB. I didn't see a need for this pick at all. HOWEVER, Gutes has earned the benefit of the doubt from me. They say this is the guy they needed to allow Barry to use better packages, then I have to accept that until I see different.

Our own Scott Campbell

Anti-Polar Bear
05-01-2022, 11:16 AM

Our own Scott Campbell’s bastard son, De’Vondre, will be 29 by week 1. When Dre Campbell’s past his prime, who will take his place as the essential “green dot?” Hopefully the poor man’s Micah Parsons.

Btw: Green Dot is nice online bank to get a prepaid debit card. It charges $3.75 for each deposit and $1.50 for each purchase, unfortunately. But if you’re, unfortunately, a porn addict such as myself, and you’re tired of embarrassingly telling the hot banker at your normal bank that you authorized payment to “epoch.com” each time the bank lock you out due to potential fraud concerns, Green Dot is nice bank to feed your addiction discreetly.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2022, 12:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of Colin Cowherd, so take this for what it's worth, but I did see a blurb where he said he loved the Quay Walker pick. He said all of his scouting buddies love Walker. Since I didn't love the pick, this guy is probably the best bet to be the best pick in this draft class.

Sparkey
05-02-2022, 01:41 PM
2022 NFL DROY odds

Aidan Hutchinson EDGE Lions +400
Kayvon Thibodeaux EDGE Giants +450
Travon Walker EDGE Jaguars +550
Quay Walker ILB Packers +750
Jermaine Johnson II EDGE Jets +750
Devin Lloyd LB Jaguars +750
Derek Stingley Jr CB Texans +900
Ahmad Gardner CB Jets +900
Kyle Hamilton S Ravens +1000
Jordan Davis DT Eagles +1400
Trent McDuffie CB Chiefs +1600
Nakobe Dean LB TBD +1600
George Karlaftis EDGE Chiefs +1800
Kaiir Elam CB Bills +1800
Devonte Wyatt DT Packers +2000

run pMc
05-02-2022, 03:09 PM
AFC scout: He’s green. Only started for one year. Can’t run the defense. He can play on all three downs. He’s big and tall and can run. He’s better than (Patrick) Queen.

He's not Patrick Willis, but he's better than Oren Burks. IIRC he only started playing football midway thru high school, that and playing DL would affect his instincts and ability to read his keys quickly. With dedication to film study and mirroring Campbell he should turn out ok. Krys Barnes has instincts over this guy (for now) but is much smaller and slower.

RashanGary
05-02-2022, 03:40 PM
He's not Patrick Willis, but he's better than Oren Burks. IIRC he only started playing football midway thru high school, that and playing DL would affect his instincts and ability to read his keys quickly. With dedication to film study and mirroring Campbell he should turn out ok. Krys Barnes has instincts over this guy (for now) but is much smaller and slower.

Gute claimed that Walker kept getting better. He didnt have an up and down trajectory, he just kept getting better every game.

Him being so new to the position, like you said, there is hope that hes still getting better and will improve with his reaction times as the position becomes more natural for him.

Hes an elite athlete. The sky is the limit if he can pick up the game.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2022, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking they will use him for a lot of inside blitzing. That's more about athleticism and less about instinct.

bobblehead
05-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Gute claimed that Walker kept getting better. He didnt have an up and down trajectory, he just kept getting better every game.

Him being so new to the position, like you said, there is hope that hes still getting better and will improve with his reaction times as the position becomes more natural for him.

Hes an elite athlete. The sky is the limit if he can pick up the game.

In the limited youtube I have watched of him, his ability to stack blockers is something I love. We haven't had that since Desmond Bishop. It takes a guy with an 8 wonderlic to willingly butt heads with a 300 lb guard with a bad attitude.

George Cumby
05-02-2022, 09:00 PM
I think I'm in the minority in that I really like the pick.

A fast, nasty, three-down, sideline to sideline, tone-setting backer is just what this team needs and has lacked for a long time. (Campbell notwithstanding)

MadScientist
05-02-2022, 11:31 PM
He's fast, uses his hands well to shed blockers, and can tackle well (hallelujah). If he can learn better techniques for covering he'll be a hell of a player.

Fritz
05-03-2022, 06:24 AM

I am always intrigued as to why the Packers take players when they do. Why take an ILB at #22? Why did you trade up so high and give up so much to get Watson? So hearing intel like yours here, Spark, is fun. Didn't know the Ravens were licking their chops for this guy.

I am happy with it. I still remember TB's two ILB's tearing up the Packers in the NFCCG two years ago.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-03-2022, 06:55 AM
I am always intrigued as to why the Packers take players when they do. Why take an ILB at #22? Why did you trade up so high and give up so much to get Watson? So hearing intel like yours here, Spark, is fun. Didn't know the Ravens were licking their chops for this guy.

I am happy with it. I still remember TB's two ILB's tearing up the Packers in the NFCCG two years ago.

Packers played and will continue to play a large amount of Nickel. Barnes tries hard and he hustles. But he just ain't Wu-Tang. In coverage, Barnes makes Hawk look like Urlacher. As a blitzer, Barnes makes Brad Jones look like Parsons. At shedding blocks, Barnes makes Joe Thomas looks like Zach Thomas.

Walker has the making of a fucking pimp. Of course, he could easily turn out to be a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. But I dig this guy.

texaspackerbacker
05-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I said that too, we will continue to play a lot of nickel - not because we lacked a second good ILB, but because the game has evolved to pass first just about all over. Hence I said we didn't need this guy, especially in the first round. But if he does end up resembling Micah Parsons - who I see a lot down here in Cowboy games, then great, it's a good pick. A big if, though.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-03-2022, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I said that too, we will continue to play a lot of nickel - not because we lacked a second good ILB, but because the game has evolved to pass first just about all over. Hence I said we didn't need this guy, especially in the first round. But if he does end up resembling Micah Parsons - who I see a lot down here in Cowboy games, then great, it's a good pick. A big if, though.

The Nickel, and the Kentucky will concur, typically includes 2 ILB. If the Packers are gonna play a tons of Nickel, they’re gonna need another ‘backer to team up with Campbell. Barnes shouldn’t be playing anywhere but on special teams.

RashanGary
05-03-2022, 11:22 AM
The Packers were playing a lot of dime last year with a safety playing linebacker and an extra corner. The only reason they were playing dime was they didnt have a linebacker.

Now they can play nickle. Three corners, two safeties and two linebackers.

RashanGary
05-03-2022, 11:29 AM
I just watched the national championship game and watched Walker.

He looked steady. Never stood out.

He times his blitzes well. Doesnt show intention until the last moment. And sometimes showed blitz but dropped back.

He was competitive facing off against a talented OL. He never backed down.

He looked pretty confident in pass coverage, making it difficult for his guy to get open.

He looked more confident than hesitant.

The only time he looked fast on tape was when he was blitzing.

He didnt look effective pass rushing against Alabama OL.

Wyatt looked like Georgias biggest playmaker. He was all over with big plays.

He looked ok.

Joemailman
05-03-2022, 10:00 PM
From the film I've seen of Walker, I see a guy who consistently gets to the ball carrier because he diagnoses plays and takes good angles. And he tackles well. I've read his instincts can run hot and cold. I haven't really seen that.

RashanGary
05-04-2022, 07:38 AM
How many really good ILBs are there? Maybe 5 in the league. Its a tough position with all of the RPOs, play action and plays designed to look the same. Linebackers are fucked with more than any other position in the NFL.

Fritz
05-04-2022, 08:58 AM
The Packers were playing a lot of dime last year with a safety playing linebacker and an extra corner. The only reason they were playing dime was they didnt have a linebacker.

Now they can play nickle. Three corners, two safeties and two linebackers.

As I understand what I've read, this is a major point in this draft choice. Instead of having a safety around the line of scrimmage, they can keep both linebackers in and play nickel, strengthening the defense against the run. So players in Barry's system need to be flexible and do more than one thing, as opposed to the defenses filled with specialists that MM's coordinators employed. But this means, of course, that Walker better be able to cover a tight end.

We did see this defense get gashed over the middle - I hope that changes.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2022, 09:18 PM
Rookie minicamp means next to nothing, but if anybody saw highlights of this dude, they have to be excited. Just really impressive in the drills they showed. This is the one guy who was drafted before I expected, but that just means the dude will be special.

RashanGary
05-10-2022, 09:39 PM
If we have upper tier linebacker play to go with our back end and front, we might be a top 5 defense.