PDA

View Full Version : NFC North Draft Thread

Fritz
04-29-2022, 12:16 PM
Well, after that flurry that was the first round - reading about all the trades makes your head spin - I'm actually glad Gutekunst stayed put and did what he did.

If I'm understanding the NFC North trades and such correctly, here's how it's shaking out:

- the Loins traded their #32 to the Vikings to get the Viking's #12 pick. To move up, they swapped their #34 (early second) for the Vikings' #46 (mid-second rounder), and gave Minny the#66 pick (early third round). By the value charts, the Lions made out like bandits and picked up Jameson Williams. At the same time, they now have a mid-second, a compensatory third, a fifth, and two sixths. For a team with as many holes as they have, not a lot of picks.

-Da Bears had no first round pick (thanks, Justin Fields!) and have remaining two seconds, a third, two fifths, and a sixth. Not a whole lot, but those two seconds will help.

The Vikings traded back, as mentioned above, and have now a second, two thirds, a fifth, three sixths, and a seventh. They've drafted a safety, Lewis Cine.

Interesting that GB is the only team in the North with any fourth round picks - they have two.

So how do you all think the other teams of the North are doing?

Jaire
04-29-2022, 12:24 PM
Loins got two very good players. Williams makes sense for a team in rebuild, not a team that needs him to develop / contribute right away.

Minnie & Chicago don't have a lot of draft capital. a good thing.

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 12:43 PM
Speaking of NFC North, I discovered something yesterday I did not know. The 7th round pick the Packers used to draft Donald Driver came from the Bears. The Packers had acquired Glyn Milburn from the Broncos in April of 1998. In August of 1998 they traded Milburn to the Bears for a 1999 7th round pick. Packers selected Donald Driver with that pick. This makes me very happy. Never know what those minor deals will lead to.

Fritz
04-29-2022, 01:25 PM
Sadly, that Jameson Williams pick did make sense for Detroit. Minnesota must not have liked that part of the first round, as they got hosed on the compensation. Originally, I thought they'd gotten Detroit's second and third, not a swap of seconds. Crazy.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2022, 02:27 PM
What the Lions gave up to move up 20 places, 32 to 12, seems fairly cheap. The Lions will fuck things up anyway hahahaha. Of course, the Vikings and Bears likely will too. I especially think the Lions will regret drafting Williams (Jameson as much as Roy).

Nice to read that about Donald Driver, one of my all time favorite Packers. One of my very first posts long long ago in JSOnline was praising him before he was even a starter, when there was a lot of doubt about him even making the team.

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 03:32 PM
Sadly, that Jameson Williams pick did make sense for Detroit. Minnesota must not have liked that part of the first round, as they got hosed on the compensation. Originally, I thought they'd gotten Detroit's second and third, not a swap of seconds. Crazy.

According to a trade value chart I looked at, Vikings would need to receive another early 3rd round pick for that trade to be even.

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 04:57 PM
So far:

2) Lions - Aidan Hutchinson - DE - Michigan

12) Lions - Jameson Williamson - WR - Alabama

22) Packers - Quay Walker - LB - Georgia

28) Packers - Devonte Wyatt - DT - Georgia

32) Vikings - Lewis Cine - S - Georgia

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 05:02 PM
2nd and 3rd round:

34) Vikings

39) Bears

46) Lions

48) Bears

53) Packers

59) Packers

66) Vikings

71) Bears

77) Vikings

92) Packers

97) Lions

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 07:14 PM
So far:

34) Packers - Christian Watson - WR - No. Dakota St.

39) Bears - Kyler Gordon - CB - Washington

42) Vikings - Andrew Booth - CB - Clemson

46) Lions - Josh Paschal - DE - Kentucky

48) Bears - Jaquan Brisker - S - Penn St.

George Cumby
04-29-2022, 07:25 PM
A Vikes fan called into 'Moving the Chains' this afternoon, he was at a draft party last night, they weren't happy with the Safety pick.

LOL.

Joemailman
04-29-2022, 10:28 PM
So far:

34) Packers - Christian Watson - WR - No. Dakota St.

39) Bears - Kyler Gordon - CB - Washington

42) Vikings - Andrew Booth - CB - Clemson

46) Lions - Josh Paschal - DE - Kentucky

48) Bears - Jaquan Brisker - S - Penn St.

59) Vikings - Ed Ingram - G - LSU

66) Vikings - Brian Asamoah - LB - Oklahoma

71) Bears - Velus Jones - WR - Tennessee

92) Packers - Sean Rhyan - G - UCLA

97) Lions - Kerby Joseph - S - Illinois

Jaire
04-30-2022, 06:15 AM
LIons and Packers with good drafts. But GB could have done so much better if they sat and picked and had taken an ilb later -- big break with draft philosophy. They missed out on the meat of the draft (rounds 2 to 3) by giving up 53 & 59. Should have got an edge; and I think that is why they held off on the 5th year option on Gary until after the draft. Missed opportunity imo. I've noticed that Gute has really broken from the Ted Thompson draft philosophy in the last few years: not a big fan.

Bears..... gotta feel bad for them.

Minnesota: nothing to be concerned about imo.

King Friday
04-30-2022, 06:55 AM
Bears..... gotta feel bad for them.

Will never feel bad for the Bears, but I do feel bad for Justin Fields. That kid has talent, but he's on a team that doesn't even know how to spell the word offense.

Jaire
04-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Minnesota, if I'm reading it right, is the only other team with a fourth round pick (122)

edit: Minnie just moved to get 118

So, looks like the Vikings are revamping their entire secondary, for a second time in two (three?) years.

Fritz
05-03-2022, 06:59 AM
Minnesota, if I'm reading it right, is the only other team with a fourth round pick (122)

edit: Minnie just moved to get 118

So, looks like the Vikings are revamping their entire secondary, for a second time in two (three?) years.

Weird that they drafted so many secondary guys.

Joemailman
05-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Weird that they drafted so many secondary guys.

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but Bears and Vikings started drafting DB's after Packers drafted Christian Watson.

Upnorth
05-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Re Viking secondary, they were a mess last year. The lack of pass rush exacerbated that. They had no choice really. Their secondary is worse than our pre Watkins wr group.
I do think bears and vikings will be battling for last place this year. Lions played tough a lot in 2021 and got better in draft. They get a qb and look out.

Jaire
05-03-2022, 10:35 AM
Chicago jumped off the cliff
Minny may not be far behind: their D needs a rebuild.
The Lions could jump to 2nd place

All three rivals have about the same cap space as Green Bay this year.

Rams squander another draft and with the Niners follow Seattle's long history in not drafting 1st round. We'll see how that works out for them.

Fritz
05-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Chicago jumped off the cliff
Minny may not be far behind: their D needs a rebuild.
The Lions could jump to 2nd place

All three rivals have about the same cap space as Green Bay this year.

Rams squander another draft and with the Niners follow Seattle's long history in not drafting 1st round. We'll see how that works out for them.

Weird spot to be in for the Loins. What they really need is one more year of awfulness so they can get into position for the QB sweepstakes in the next draft. Yet they also want to show in Year 2 of the new regime that they are improving.

That is in part what made the Alabama WR pick they made so good - they will nurse him along slowly, cuz they really don't need him - probably almost a redshirt year - and it won't hurt in the excuse department.

So they need to show improvement, but not so much they play themselves out of the franchise QB sweepstakes. I think they may have two #1's again next year (I still think they did better than the Rams on that deal; the Rams did not win thanks to Stafford, they won almost in spite of him), so I suppose if they get into the top eight or so they might be able to trade up a couple spots if they see a QB they are in love with.

run pMc
05-03-2022, 05:47 PM
i think Minnesota still has a pretty good offense, even if their D (especially their passing D) is not good. Danielle Hunter has missed most of the last two seasons (neck injury & torn pec) and Z has the back; not sure who else they have rushing the passer. They have Ed Donatell running a 3-4 this year I think? They'll be about where they were last year.

Detroit did well in the draft, but I wonder if the Campbell Honeymoon is over. I think unless he buys a foreign car or does something completely batshit he'll survive until next year, but then the expectations jump. I already think the expectations are higher for this team based on the second half of the year. It makes sense, but I'm not sure how much better they really are compared to the rest of the division. I guess they've closed the gap and are competitive at least, but nobody is considering them a SB contender right now.

Chicago had few assets thanks to trades. At least they didn't draft 3 TEs, I guess? Didn't seem like they got Justin Fields a lot of help. This is a team trying to rebuild without the assets to do it. Gordon and Brisker were good picks, but the rest of their draft did not impress.

GB remains the favorites, largely due to Aaron Rodgers, Jones/Dillon, a good-enough defense, and a crappy division.
I think it's possible they look around for another veteran WR to shake loose or drop their contract demands, but I doubt it. It will be like the Hunger Games in camp for the WRs: they have 11 of them on the roster currently, and even Sammy Watkins is no cinch to make the team. I think they'll keep 6 WR...camp should be interesting.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2022, 12:03 AM
The Packers should run away with the division, as we almost always do.