PDA

View Full Version : Gute - we love you this 2022 Draft

Vincenzo
04-30-2022, 12:41 PM
What a move round 2 to jump 19 spots and get Watson, I dunno about you but I was stunned.

At the very least with TWO 1st round defensive players in the bag, (both young gods sent from the heavens), and now a young stud WR, surely we feel better than last Wednesday night?

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 01:03 PM
An average draft gets two good players. 3 is a good draft.

I've gotten old and crusty. I go straight to bust thoughts with every pick. Except the Wyatt pick. He seems safe.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 01:13 PM
Time will tell ; I think we all love Watson but we gave up a shitload to move up

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2022, 01:21 PM
Watson yes, Wyatt probably, Walker probably not, Rhyan who knows, who cares based on position, and today, sheeeesh, nothing to love there.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:22 PM
I’m not too worried about Watson. He will be very good in this scheme. Maybe not in Year 1 given ARod’s history with rookies. Walker probably scares me most.

I see 4 starters at this point.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:23 PM
Watson yes, Wyatt probably, Walker probably not, Rhyan who knows, who cares based on position, and today, sheeeesh, nothing to love there.

What do you know about these prospects?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-30-2022, 01:24 PM
What’s Doubs’ 40? Google ain’t showing anything.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2022, 01:24 PM
4 starters? Is that a case of double vision? Watson probably, Wyatt maybe - who else starts?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:30 PM
Walker, Wyatt, Watson, and Rhyan or Tom will be starters eventually

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 01:30 PM
4 starters? Is that a case of double vision? Watson probably, Wyatt maybe - who else starts?

Walker is going to be one of the ILB starters

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 01:33 PM
I’m not too worried about Watson. He will be very good in this scheme. Maybe not in Year 1 given ARod’s history with rookies. Walker probably scares me most.

4 starters. That would be incredible luck.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2022, 01:35 PM
Walker, Wyatt, Watson, and Rhyan or Tom will be starters eventually

Oh, eventually hahahahahaha. I'll give you a maybe on that, although O Line shouldn't count. You can plug just about any old plug in there.

ILB shouldn't maybe count either when we play so much with only 1 ILB on the field.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:35 PM
Are you taking year 1? When Ron Wolf said a good draft yields 3 good starters, he wasn’t talking year 1. I don’t really care if they are starters year 1.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:38 PM
OL shouldn’t count? That’s just dumb. They make up almost 1/2 the starters on offense and 5/22 total starters.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 01:39 PM
What’s Doubs’ 40? Google ain’t showing anything.

Injured. Didn’t test.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2022, 01:49 PM
It's listed in several articles as anywhere from 4.47 to 4.72 - not very damn good.

As I said about O Line, you can plug in just about anybody there - mediocrity is about as good as "great" like Bakhtiari.

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Oh, eventually hahahahahaha. I'll give you a maybe on that, although O Line shouldn't count. You can plug just about any old plug in there.

ILB shouldn't maybe count either when we play so much with only 1 ILB on the field.

We played 1 ILB because thats all we had. We need two good ones if theyre going to play.

That said, it still reminds me of picking Josh Jones at safety. Cant play football. Bad pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 02:00 PM
It's listed in several articles as anywhere from 4.47 to 4.72 - not very damn good.

As I said about O Line, you can plug in just about anybody there - mediocrity is about as good as "great" like Bakhtiari.

How about you go to youtube and see for yourself.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 02:01 PM
We played 1 ILB because thats all we had. We need two good ones if theyre going to play.

That said, it still reminds me of picking Josh Jones at safety. Cant play football. Bad pick.

Dumb. If you were going to say that about any of the Georgia LBs, it would Tindall. Walker is a good football player. Just not at a position of high value, so I wouldn’t have taken him at 22.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Dumb. If you were going to say that about any of the Georgia LBs, it would Tindall. Walker is a good football player. Just not at a position of high value, so I wouldn’t have taken him at 22.

Who would you have taken at 22 ? J Johnson ?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 02:08 PM
I wasn’t that high on Johnson. Probably Daxton Hill at 22 and then Watson at 28.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 02:15 PM
I wasn’t that high on Johnson. Probably Daxton Hill at 22 and then Watson at 28.

and then you keep both 2nds

interesting

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 02:31 PM
This draft reminds me of Josh Jones, Oren Burks, Jmon Moore, Jason Spriggs and Jordan Love. A bunch of athletes who dont play goood football.

Yuck.

Dysfunction. Bad draft.

I like Wyatt and the OL. They have a chance.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2022, 02:51 PM

As I said the last time you said this, yes, I guess, but I kinda doubt that is a good thing. We play 5 DBs and just 1 ILB mostly because the game has evolved to way more passing. Can Walker cover as good as a mediocre DB, Chandon Sullivan or Henry Black for example? I don't know - if he can, then he's a plus. If not and he's on the field as a second ILB, he's gonna get beat a lot.

run pMc
04-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Romeo Doubs ran a one-off workout where he was tied in the 4.47-4.52 range I guess... and based on the magic of YouTube he does seem to have adequate speed. Big guy, can return punts too.
Packers are sticking with the "over 6' and 200lbs" mold for WRs.

The Walker pick felt early for me, but I like having a Campbell clone in he gets hurt, last year was a fluke, or they just want out of his contract. It gives them flexibility and helps their run D because they don't have to play Amos as a hybrid S/LB -- they can play two LBs instead of 1 with a S when they are in nickel. He's got speed/size to get to the sideline and should be a big upgrade from Barnes. If he and Campbell (to paraphrase APB) become a poor-man's Patrick Willis-Navarrro Bowman or Lavonte David- Devin White combo they will shore up the middle of the defense -- an annual weakspot for GB.

Wyatt I like except for the off-field stuff. I think he's a talented knucklehead who could really bring some juice to the DL rotation if he straightens out.

Watson is a big upside athlete. I guess I'm ok with it, but they paid a lot to get him. Bascially, they traded Davante Adams for Quay Walker, the Watson kid, and cap space to sign Campbell and Rasul. Still 3 of the top 34 picks should really upgrade the roster.

The UCLA guy seems like a G/T swing guy. Seems like they think he can play RT, but I don't know if he has the length. He's athletic enough and should be a good addition to the room. He started at LT for UCLA as a Freshman and is a true junior so he's still young and developing.

Doubs is fine. Day 3 guys are crapshoots.

I'm not in love with this draft, but I feel pretty good about it so far.

QBME
04-30-2022, 03:35 PM
nm

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 03:38 PM
Romeo Doubs ran a one-off workout where he was tied in the 4.47-4.52 range I guess... and based on the magic of YouTube he does seem to have adequate speed. Big guy, can return punts too.
Packers are sticking with the "over 6' and 200lbs" mold for WRs.

The Walker pick felt early for me, but I like having a Campbell clone in he gets hurt, last year was a fluke, or they just want out of his contract. It gives them flexibility and helps their run D because they don't have to play Amos as a hybrid S/LB -- they can play two LBs instead of 1 with a S when they are in nickel. He's got speed/size to get to the sideline and should be a big upgrade from Barnes. If he and Campbell (to paraphrase APB) become a poor-man's Patrick Willis-Navarrro Bowman or Lavonte David- Devin White combo they will shore up the middle of the defense -- an annual weakspot for GB.

Wyatt I like except for the off-field stuff. I think he's a talented knucklehead who could really bring some juice to the DL rotation if he straightens out.

Watson is a big upside athlete. I guess I'm ok with it, but they paid a lot to get him. Bascially, they traded Davante Adams for Quay Walker, the Watson kid, and cap space to sign Campbell and Rasul. Still 3 of the top 34 picks should really upgrade the roster.

The UCLA guy seems like a G/T swing guy. Seems like they think he can play RT, but I don't know if he has the length. He's athletic enough and should be a good addition to the room. He started at LT for UCLA as a Freshman and is a true junior so he's still young and developing.

Doubs is fine. Day 3 guys are crapshoots.

I'm not in love with this draft, but I feel pretty good about it so far.

In his post-draft press conference, Doubs just came out and matter of factly stated that he ran 4.53 at his Pro Day, so I like the fact he didn't sugarcoat it. Then, he said the time is the time, but I know that I can take the top off the defense. :)

He pronounced his last name as Dobbs (not Dubbs).

QBME
04-30-2022, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;1115497]OL shouldn

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Dont type apostrophes :)

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 03:44 PM
Maybe smiley faces like Colin’s do this as well

QBME
04-30-2022, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;1115497]OL shouldn

red
04-30-2022, 04:38 PM

4 starters out out of the first 5 picks , and maybe a #3 wr with that 5th pick, if not a starter

thats a damn good draft

red
04-30-2022, 04:39 PM
something is wrong with the site, quotes aren't working right

Jaire
04-30-2022, 06:55 PM
I like this draft, except the first pick.. Nothing wrong with the player, just ILB in round 1. I haven't liked the last two drafts: even here, not sure about Gute's draft philosophy.

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 07:01 PM
The last time I hated a draft pick was Clay Matthews. Couldnt start on his colllege football team until senior year.

That shut me up for about 15 years.

But Ive forgotten how much I dont know and hate two picks again. Two high picks that should be good players. Walker and Watson. All potential with no production. Yuck!

I hope Gute shuts me up for 15 more years. I want to be wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Watson not bring productive is just false. You aren’t named an All-American without being productive. He made the FCS All-American team as a WR in 2021 (after making it as a returner in 2020). People that actually follow this stuff know how productive he was—despite his limited opportunities.

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/christian-watson/

2021 SEASON (SENIOR): First team All-America wide receiver by HERO Sports...Second team All-America wide receiver by Associated Press and all-purpose player by Stats Perform...Third team All-America wide receiver by Phil Steele

smuggler
04-30-2022, 07:31 PM
JH working hard for the reverse jinx. Respect it.

RashanGary
04-30-2022, 07:59 PM
JH working hard for the reverse jinx. Respect it.

I hope I do reverse jinx it! The last time I hated a pick was Clay Matthews and TT shut me up so good, I didn't complain about a pick for like 15 years. I hope Gute shuts me up with Walker and Watson.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2022, 03:38 AM
SI

Green Bay Packers
GRADE: A

Round 1, Pick 22 (from Las Vegas): Quay Walker, ILB, Georgia
Round 1, Pick 28: Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
Round 2, Pick 34 (from Detroit via Minnesota): Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
Round 3, Pick 92: Sean Rhyan, OG, UCLA
Round 4, Pick 132: Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada
Round 4, Pick 140: Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest
Round 5, Pick 179 (from Indianapolis via Denver): Kingsley Enagbare, DE, South Carolina
Round 7, Pick 228 (from Chicago via Houston): Tariq Carpenter, LB, Georgia Tech
Round 7, Pick 234 (from Cleveland via Detroit and Denver): Jonathan Ford, DT, Miami
Round 7, Pick 249: Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
Round 7, Pick 258: Samori Toure, WR, Nebraska

ANALYSIS: I’ll use this space to continue my rant from Thursday. It befuddles me that we depict Aaron Rodgers as this Wizard of Oz-ian character sitting behind the curtain bellowing about the team’s lack of wide receiver talent. Rodgers has been incredibly blessed throughout his career to work with a bevy of talented wideouts supplied to him by the Packers’ front office. Their process has expertly identified high-upside players in the second round and beyond. So when Green Bay took their Davante Adams haul and used it toward patching up the defense, why would he be upset? Wyatt is going to add a fascinating upfield interior pressure component to the Packers defense. A true run disruptor, he’ll help Green Bay become less reliant on their exceptional linebacker play. And, lo and behold, they still end up with Watson, who, in the FCS, looked a little like the 6' 5" kid on the 9-year-old AAU team, completely dominant in an effortless sort of way. The Packers have succeeded with this big-bodied receiver profile before.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2022, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all those analyses, Harvey. .

On the day after the draft, I am kinda underwhelmed by most of the picks - really all except Watson and Wyatt. Watson has superstar written all over him - mark my words, that will be obvious by year 3, probably a lot sooner, and most of those others mentioned Pierce, Metchie, etc. will be mediocre starters if starters at all. I am excited to see what Wyatt can do. While I agree with APB on a lot on his "Yokozuma" thing, I disagree with his negativity about Kenny Clark. I'm actually hopeful that Wyatt can reach the gold standard for D Linemen - even better than Clark - and kinda resemble Vita Vea.

Beyond that, MEH best describes it. Doubs seems like crap - possibly not even as good as the other guy taken later, Toure. I doubt either is as good as Malik Taylor who sadly, they may displace on the roster. My thoughts about O Linemen are well known. Just the same, I like what I read about Rhyan. The other guy, Tom, not so much. I doubt Rhyan beats out Nijman at RT, but he is more solid mediocrity as depth, and really, 320 pounds of mediocrity is about all you need to be a decent O Lineman. Enagbare sounds like a lesser version of Tipa, way below Garvin. I wish we had upgraded there, but it seems we did not. Ford seems like a lesser version of Slaton. Hopefully Carpenter can help on special teams. I don't see much else he is good for ....... which brings us to our top first rounder. He may be an upgrade from Kris Barnes, and he might help on special teams - BFD, we use the 22nd pick in the draft for that? We got damn lucky to still get Wyatt and Watson after basically wasting the Walker pick.

Anyway, more good than bad overall. I might go as high as A-, assuming Watson and Wyatt pan out as I think they will.

run pMc
05-01-2022, 01:10 PM
Lotta complaining for an A-. That must be all because of Watson and Wyatt.

Kidding aside, I wonder if you're overvaluing Malik Taylor and undervaluing the other WRs. Taylor came from Ferris State, a D2 school, and has shown nothing. Winfree's best catch last year had him fumble it out of bounds.
At least Doubs and Toure showed out as top receivers for their teams at the D1 level. They needed to bring in more WRs - their entire 2018 WR class is now gone, Watkins and Cobb are gone after this year, and Lazard will be a UFA. They need WRs to grow and develop into (hopefully) good players. Watson and Doubs can also play ST too, and Toure isn't bad.

The OL can be hard to judge, but they needed players there after losing Turner, Patrick, Kelly and with Bahktiari and Jenkins returning from injury. With drafting of Rhyan, Tom, and Walker it's pretty hard to project who their Week 1 starting 5 will be, but it should be better than what they had pre-draft. GB is so good at turning mid-round picks into starters it's impressive, and they got good prospects to continue that trend.

Enagbare is better than Tipa right now. Tipa is 230 pounds soaking wet, he can't hold the point of attack and is easily shed by an OT during pass rush. They like Randy Ramsey a LOT and Garvin is meh, this guy will compete for snaps and can be a big body on ST.

The R7 guys are ST picks and they needed a lot of help there. Not a huge fan of the Ford and Walker picks, but Carpenter and Toure were good. I think Carpenter could be fun to watch on ST with his size/speed. They got younger, faster, and I'd argue quite a bit better. Bisaccia wasn't going to coach here without better players.

One interesting thing: no safeties, corners, or TE drafted. That surprised me.

A lot of these players have ability to play ST and I think you'll see that this year. Gute mentioned it was a bigger point of focus and a shift in their approach to the draft and roster construction. Having said all that, can't really judge this draft until 2024-25 but I think it was overall pretty good.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2022, 03:09 PM
Damn Right all about Watson and Wyatt - I'm betting both become consensus all pros.

I'd be very pleased to be wrong about Doubs, but he really seems like crap to me. As for Malik Taylor, he has speed and size on both Doubs and Toure, not to mention Winfree and Rodgers, and the only time he got much of a chance, last preseason, he performed very well, and he is a fairly decent kick returner too. I doubt they keep more than 6 WRs, so he may be gone, though.

I have hope for Engabare too, but supposedly he looks weak, and I doubt he is near as fast off the edge as Tipa - that's not meant to say Tipa is all that great hahahaha, but he is damn fast of the edge. Garvin, though, I do have a fairly high opinion of. I wish we'd taken somebody earlier as an edge rusher.

The O Line guys, as I said, seem mediocre, but that's about all you need in the Packers O Line. Walker sounds like a better prospect to me than Tom - who seems like a total waste.

We absolutely did not need a TE - no surprise to me that the decision makers thought that too. As strong as we are in DBs, not much surprise there either, although getting somebody late might have been worthwhile.

George Cumby
05-01-2022, 08:46 PM
As always, I don't get wrapped around the axle about the draft.

#1: We won't know for three years, so why freak out now?

#2: Gute and his scouting department know their business. How many shit drafts has he put together so far? None that I can think of. This roster is pretty fucking stacked.

I'm just gonna' sit back and enjoy watching these kids grow.

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2022, 09:01 PM
In general I agree with that, but with trading Davante and losing MVS, this season is a little different - that and having more high picks than usual. They chose to handle it mainly through the draft other than Watkins, so it who we got was fairly critical. And I'm confident they got the best WR in the draft - even though six were taken earlier.

Jaire
05-02-2022, 10:10 AM
This is the first draft I have liked in a while and could be Gute's best. Other drafts I've had to "come around to liking." Not this, though I hate giving up an extra two -- still it was an extra pick and they got one of their favorite WRs for relatively cheap.

I keep forgetting that Barry is very good at developing and using LBs and that Quay is in lieu of an LB & safety: so his value is higher. If anyone can make it work with Quay, it's Barry. Both value and likely success are much better looking.

First time I actually like all the picks (except Ford, if that counts) in over ten years. I also think GB got all their guys: this is a nice trend in that they are not taking big risks.

call_me_ishmael
05-02-2022, 10:26 AM
I guess though if you look at it as they drafted a situational ILB and then traded the second pick paired with their second pick (bad value) to move up to get a guy they liked. I'm not crazy about the positional value they got in exchange for Davante.

I am confused why they didn't trade back into R1. I would be shocked if none of the teams below them would take the comp they ultimately gave up. It would have been nice to get the extra year out of the deal since they gave up so much.

MadScientist
05-02-2022, 10:36 AM
I'm worried about this draft - I really like it. I think the first 3 picks will pan out and be terrific players, Tom and Rhyan will develop into core OL players, and ST will have a big shot of talent so they may just finally stop sucking donkey balls.

Joemailman
05-02-2022, 10:44 AM
I guess though if you look at it as they drafted a situational ILB and then traded the second pick paired with their second pick (bad value) to move up to get a guy they liked. I'm not crazy about the positional value they got in exchange for Davante.

I am confused why they didn't trade back into R1. I would be shocked if none of the teams below them would take the comp they ultimately gave up. It would have been nice to get the extra year out of the deal since they gave up so much.

I think it was Aaron Nagler who said Packers were trying to trade back into round 1 but couldn't get it done. Vikings had the 32nd pick. My guess is Vikings said you can have 34 but not 32.

SudsMcBucky
05-02-2022, 11:06 AM
I hope I do reverse jinx it! The last time I hated a pick was Clay Matthews and TT shut me up so good, I didn't complain about a pick for like 15 years. I hope Gute shuts me up with Walker and Watson.

You're not alone. I loathed the Rashan Gary pick, but my being wrong on that one was negated by the Love trade-up & pick. Therefore, I will still reserve the right to bitch. However, with the 2022 draft, I hated the #22 pick, loved the #28 pick and then the trade-up for Watson, which righted the wrong at 22. So, with the totality of it all, including the Tom pick, I really like this draft a lot.

run pMc
05-02-2022, 11:18 AM
I think it was Aaron Nagler who said Packers were trying to trade back into round 1 but couldn't get it done. Vikings had the 32nd pick. My guess is Vikings said you can have 34 but not 32.

I heard this also (forget where) that Minny didn't want to give them a shot at giving their pick the 5th year option.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2022, 01:05 PM
I heard that same thing about the 5th year option - on one of the YouTube podcasts.

I tend to agree as we get a few days past this draft that it's way more good than bad. We got a probably superstar in Watson, a possible superstar in Wyatt, a talented guy at a position we didn't need in Walker who as time goes by, we could be thankful for too. We got a three O Linemen - whether I liked it or not hahahaha - because we lost Turner, Patrick, and Kelly. Just for the sake of quantity, we're gonna keep around 9 of them. We didn't get a TE or a Edge Rusher early or a Safety who has much chance of playing Safety because the powers that be figured we didn't need them - whether some others in here or the media thought we needed them hahahaha.

Nothing has been said about the salary cap lately with the draft and all. The Packers still have money, though. I'm thinking they still pick up a mid-range FA or two (not just UDFAs) between now and training camp, especially a back up Safety. Possibly another WR but I doubt it since we drafted like we did.

All in all, Gutekunst gets my approval with a possibility of love too.

Travbrew
05-02-2022, 06:47 PM
In his post-draft press conference, Doubs just came out and matter of factly stated that he ran 4.53 at his Pro Day, so I like the fact he didn't sugarcoat it. Then, he said the time is the time, but I know that I can take the top off the defense. :)

He pronounced his last name as Dobbs (not Dubbs).

Should we call him "Ronnie?"

https://resizing.flixster.com/Lb31W14rOgf_kZfGuIcdyKnzQxQ=/300x300/v2/https://flxt.tmsimg.com/assets/27657_ag.jpg

Cobra Kai
05-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Should we call him "Ronnie?"

https://resizing.flixster.com/Lb31W14rOgf_kZfGuIcdyKnzQxQ=/300x300/v2/https://flxt.tmsimg.com/assets/27657_ag.jpg

YES!

Upnorth
05-03-2022, 10:30 AM
I would like to know what wist thinks about this draft.

Fritz
05-03-2022, 12:46 PM
Interesting article about the RAS of the players the Packers picked. They appear, historically, to go for high-RAS players in rounds one and two, but in round three, they have chosen some really low-RAS players over the years (Sternberger, Deguara, Amari Rodgers). All in all, though, apparently the Packers like more athletic players than most teams do - other teams seem to be more interested in the tape and whether someone is a player and not just an athlete.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2022/5/2/23053881/packers-draft-classes-by-ras-athleticism-average-weighted-2022-nfl-draft-brian-gutekunst

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Interesting article about the RAS of the players the Packers picked. They appear, historically, to go for high-RAS players in rounds one and two, but in round three, they have chosen some really low-RAS players over the years (Sternberger, Deguara, Amari Rodgers). All in all, though, apparently the Packers like more athletic players than most teams do - other teams seem to be more interested in the tape and whether someone is a player and not just an athlete.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2022/5/2/23053881/packers-draft-classes-by-ras-athleticism-average-weighted-2022-nfl-draft-brian-gutekunst

Ironically, the Packers have whiffed on a lot of those 3rd round picks that weren't athletic. Maybe they should just stick with drafting athletes in round 3.

Joemailman
05-03-2022, 01:52 PM
Ironically, the Packers have whiffed on a lot of those 3rd round picks that weren't athletic. Maybe they should just stick with drafting athletes in round 3.

Well, Oren Burks was an athlete, and that didn't work either. :). Ww'll see how Rhyan will do, who is an athlete. Rhyan is the first offensive lineman the Packers have drafted in the 3rd round since Jason Spitz in 2006.

Fritz
05-03-2022, 03:25 PM
I wonder if anyone thinks that Tariq Carpenter could become a good player. I read that he's a human missile but is a tweener at 230 pounds. I was reminded of James Harrison a bit.

And even if he's just a special teams ace, that's a good pick. This team needs hitters (who doesn't?).

run pMc
05-03-2022, 05:57 PM
I wonder if anyone thinks that Tariq Carpenter could become a good player. I read that he's a human missile but is a tweener at 230 pounds. I was reminded of James Harrison a bit.

And even if he's just a special teams ace, that's a good pick. This team needs hitters (who doesn't?).

I don't think he's got the agility to play man on the pro level, but I do think he can probably play short zones and close to the LOS almost like a moneybacker type in a pinch. James Harrison was shorter and a workout freak, this guy is built differently. I think he's Oren Burks II but less agile and with better instincts. He'll be fun on punt and kickoff teams and hopefully not see the field on defense except for when GB is up 3 scores with 4 minutes to play.

Not sure you'd want him playing the Henry Black role; I think they are ditching the 3 safety look in favor of using 2 ILBs (Campbell and Walker). Seems like they are going to put him in the ILB room first but I could see him getting a few reps at box safety. You never know with these guys, but R7 is a fine spot to take a flyer on an athletic ST player with some upside to develop. If he becomes a Core ST player and plays on all/most ST lineups it's a good pick -- that's around 10-20 snaps a game.

run pMc
05-03-2022, 06:00 PM
Well, Oren Burks was an athlete, and that didn't work either. :). Ww'll see how Rhyan will do, who is an athlete. Rhyan is the first offensive lineman the Packers have drafted in the 3rd round since Jason Spitz in 2006.

Interesting about Spitz, but you're right. I don't think Rhyan is the project Burks was. Rhyan has a higher floor/lower ceiling imo, but also a much better chance and panning out.

Jaire
05-08-2022, 10:09 AM
After letting the draft settle for a few days:

The team has no holes. That's really a first since 1997.

I like the three receivers they got. Watson's the highest pick for WR in 20 years. The Pack usually "overdraft" their guys (Jordy, Cobb, Jennings -- the exception was Adams but that was superdeep at WR). I had him tagged as a "Packer type" in the mold of their previous picks. Doubs was a value pick, another Packer type-- that was not the case with the 2018 picks when they drafted a bunch of guys in somewhat desperation. This draft was deep and fell right for GB. Even Toure looks good; we'll see if he can beat press converage.

My favorite draft of Gute's era: though I would have preferred Johnson or Ebiketie, I understand the Walker pick and I concede he was better value for what Joe Barry wants. And I am happy they spent a first on his type rather than undersized Shazier or Devine Bush: I really was anxious both those years when the Packers were linked to those two. It seems the Pack has has a shortlist of ILBs they like in the first round each year. Walker I think is getting underrated on this forum, as he was predraft. They made him play very disciplined football at Georgia: he's a very safe pick imo and his best days are ahead. Not just that but Barry if anyone has the best chance to make him shine. On top of that the oline is finally rebuilt and restocked: that was my number ONE concern the last three years; number TWO was DL.

Not trying to be a Homer, but Gute filled out the holes that I have been almost screaming about for the last three years, and did so with very good prospects. No reaches, all very safe players imo when you consider football character which is pretty huge with this club. Age is the only complaint, but it's a weird class that way.

......Just noticed we picked six of Rob Rang's top 75 as well as his diamond (Doubs) -- lots of sleeping on this class. It was a super deep (covid) draft. And GB took advantage. I like it better than the Ravens, whose draft is getting overhyped. Nice too for once to steal one of their guys which they have done to us in the past

Upnorth
05-10-2022, 07:31 AM
Jaire I agree with that, with the caveat of watson and doubts not being a bust, and assume safety depth isn't a need.

The problem is we can only realistically expect 2 starters and hope for 4.
But this draft did our obvious needs, and then some.

Oh wait I forgot about tariq carpenter so I guess we got safety depth....

Jaire
05-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Jaire I agree with that, with the caveat of watson and doubts not being a bust, and assume safety depth isn't a need.

The problem is we can only realistically expect 2 starters and hope for 4.
But this draft did our obvious needs, and then some.

Oh wait I forgot about tariq carpenter so I guess we got safety depth....

I am very confident in the trio they grabbed at WR. They are good at drafting WR, and these are good fits with (football and otherwise) super high character: ambitious, disciplined, hungry and talented.* The exception was last year with Amari Rodgers: I thought they got too cute and drafted a smaller version of Cobb, who had a shortened career because of size and style of play. They really parted from Gute's draft profile, as well as MLF's.

Normally I'd expect four starters from this draft because of our extra capital; however, this is the deepest draft I remember. It's by far my favorite draft since I started following in 2009. Really confident in these picks; it's like a convergence of all the best things in a typical GB draft. Of course, any draft pick can fail. I just don't see it with these picks. The only guy I question is Enagbare: with him I wonder why he fell and they moved down: not like they ran that card up.

* The Packers' formula at WR is only imitated by a few clubs. Rather strange. It makes sense that other clubs don't imitate the Steelers, but the Packers' mold is a bit easier to follow imo.

Joemailman
05-10-2022, 09:05 AM
I am very confident in the trio they grabbed at WR. They are good at drafting WR, and these are good fits with (football and otherwise) super high character: ambitious, disciplined, hungry and talented.* The exception was last year with Amari Rodgers: I thought they got too cute and drafted a smaller version of Cobb, who had a shortened career because of size and style of play. They really parted from Gute's draft profile, as well as MLF's.

Normally I'd expect four starters from this draft because of our extra capital; however, this is the deepest draft I remember. It's by far my favorite draft since I started following in 2009. Really confident in these picks; it's like a convergence of all the best things in a typical GB draft. Of course, any draft pick can fail. I just don't see it with these picks. The only guy I question is Enagbare: with him I wonder why he fell and they moved down: not like they ran that card up.

* The Packers' formula at WR is only imitated by a few clubs. Rather strange. It makes sense that other clubs don't imitate the Steelers, but the Packers' mold is a bit easier to follow imo.

Actually Rodgers is a bigger version of Cobb by about 20 pounds. At least based on last year's weight. (I guess Cobb is a bit taller). Both players were a divergence from what Packers usually look for. Cobb even more so than Rodgers. Both players were brought in to provide a missing role in the offense. Don't write Rodgers' obit yet. I think he'll have a much bigger role in the offense this year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0RPWdyWQAUivkA.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExZsxKHWQAEB70e.png

run pMc
05-10-2022, 11:05 AM
Slot receivers often have weird RAS scores. I'm surprised the agility scores are that low though.

Jaire
05-10-2022, 11:40 AM
That weight isn't right (just like Jones' weight is higher than he really is). He just looks smaller than Cobb on the field but I haven't seen them both in person. Cobb seems to have broader shoulders.

Upnorth
05-10-2022, 12:43 PM
I'm allaboard the arod (wr) train this year as well. I think we are taking the negatives of the special teams and applying it to him. He doesn't block for himself, he doesn't kick.

I hope he gets 600 or so yards this year.

texaspackerbacker
05-10-2022, 03:15 PM
It's gonna come down to Amari making the team OR Toure, who I've heard good things about, OR my personal favorite, the much maligned Malik Taylor. That's assuming the top five, Watson, Lazard, Watkins, Doubs, and Cobb all make the team. I'm sure the detractors are gonna detract, but unless Amari has a whole lot of ability that we just haven't seen, I'd rather have Malik. Toure can go to the Practice Squad.

Jaire
05-10-2022, 03:52 PM
They kept seven in 2018. Think they could keep seven this year, esp with Watkins and Cobb likely not making it through. Another transitiion year.

Joemailman
05-10-2022, 04:16 PM
They kept seven in 2018. Think they could keep seven this year, esp with Watkins and Cobb likely not making it through. Another transitiion year.

I think they can keep 7 if they only keep 2 QB's or only 8 OL.

Upnorth
05-10-2022, 05:46 PM
I think they can keep 7 if they only keep 2 QB's or only 8 OL.

I bet they only have 12 and love @ qb. That's sop here. My wr would be lazard, watson, watkins, rodgers, taylor, doubs, Cobb. At least that's how I hope it works out.

texaspackerbacker
05-10-2022, 08:10 PM
One of the media pukes was on Macafee today saying he thinks the Packers will be in the market for the remaining big name FA WRs. I pretty much hope he's wrong.

cheesner
05-11-2022, 07:51 AM
https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jarvis-landry-beckham-jones-rodgers-browns/

Rappaport. Misleading title. I thought it meant that the Packers were pursuing the WRs. But if you read it, it is what Rap "expects" them to do. And he never really impressed me with his football knowledge or understanding of individual teams.

run pMc
05-11-2022, 11:25 AM
Rappaport is looking at the top of the depth chart but not the roster - they have a ton of WRs at the moment so they won't add another unless it's a very clear upgrade.
They aren't going to dump Amari or Doubs for Jarvis Landry unless he's willing to sign for peanuts.
I think they'll keep plugged into the market, but I doubt they'll be buyers. They need to extend Jaire first.

Also: I think they are very committed to making sure most of the WRs can contribute to ST, so bringing in another vet is hardly a lock.

jklowan
05-11-2022, 12:15 PM
Rappaport is looking at the top of the depth chart but not the roster - they have a ton of WRs at the moment so they won't add another unless it's a very clear upgrade.
They aren't going to dump Amari or Doubs for Jarvis Landry unless he's willing to sign for peanuts.
I think they'll keep plugged into the market, but I doubt they'll be buyers. They need to extend Jaire first.

Also: I think they are very committed to making sure most of the WRs can contribute to ST, so bringing in another vet is hardly a lock.

Why would OB leave the Rams, that is not happening, Jarvis Landry is a Slotish type, we have Cobb and Rodgers for that role. So I don't think that happens.

I'm not sure how much Jones has left as he seems to miss at least 5 games a season for the last few years, not sure that risk is worth it.

The one receiver I am hoping they bring in is W Fuller, he would be cheap and is still young. He also has the injury history but I would like one more vet for insurance and he seems like a good fit and there has been interest in the past by Green Bay.

Unless the Giants decide to cut ties with Sheppard then I would look there as well, maybe even give up a 6th or 7th rounder for his services.

texaspackerbacker
05-11-2022, 12:33 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jarvis-landry-beckham-jones-rodgers-browns/

Rappaport. Misleading title. I thought it meant that the Packers were pursuing the WRs. But if you read it, it is what Rap "expects" them to do. And he never really impressed me with his football knowledge or understanding of individual teams.

Good Catch. That's a major distinction. The damned media pukes get away with that all the time - acting like they know something when really they don't.

Yes, Will Fuller would be the only one I'd like the Packers to consider also.

call_me_ishmael
05-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Rodgers
Cobb
Watson
Watkins
Lizard

I believe they will sign Julio Jones. Injuries aside, that is a similar value signing to Julius Paprika. Amari Rodgers is an unknown entity and may not even make the team.

run pMc
05-11-2022, 01:56 PM
I think with Adams, MVS and Cobb on the roster there weren't a lot of snaps for Rodgers. Then again, as a rookie with iffy speed he wasn't great when he did... but that was mostly on ST.
If he drops some weight that might help, plus a year in the playbook.

I was a little surprised they didn't use him more last year. I think there are some things he (probably) does well that they could take better advantage of. They'll give him plenty of chances in camp to show something...at the very least they'll give him a chance to put up some good film and trade him. Cutting him would be a bad look -- they gave Jace time, I think they'll give Amari time unless all 3 rookies look great.

I think they'll keep 2 QBs and maybe Benkert on the PS again. They won't skimp on OL, and they will want to keep an extra WR at least until they have Tonyan back at full speed.

No to Will Fuller. I'm not sure what he gives you that Watson, Watkins or Doubs doesn't. He's an injury/suspension waiting to happen, and I don't know how cheap he'll be. I'd wait until later in the summer, someone will give in to lower contract or shake loose from a team. Right now there are 11 WRs on the roster (counting the yet unsigned Doubs and Watson).