PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Seventh Round Pick, #228, LB/S Tariq Carpenter

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 04:45 PM
CBS Sports

Tariq Carpenter S, GATECH
Height: 6-4, Weight: 225

Big-time tester who's much more of a linebacker than a safety. For as explosive as it is in a thick frame, his change-of-direction skill leaves a lot to be desired, and he misses a lot of tackles.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 04:49 PM
This guy was intriguing to me. He was a HUGE college safety. Georgia Tech had two huge, menacing safeties (Juanyeh Thomas being the other). This guy has no chance of playinig S in the NFL. However, he looked pretty solid at LB at practices during the all-star bowl season. I want to say he played in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, but it could have been the Hula Bowl.

He's 6'4" 225 and ran 4.52 40 with 39" vertical and 11'4" broad jump--which was only 1" behind Christian Watson. Watson had the best broad jump at the scouting combine.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejIflPUAEds

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 04:50 PM
Dude liked hitting people

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 04:58 PM
I think he might have been a team captain. Parents were in the military, so he'd pick out military personnel before every game and greet them.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 05:02 PM
I like this guy; he likes packing a punch

How about a LIL Badger Love with our last pick ? :))))

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 05:06 PM
I like this guy; he likes packing a punch

How about a LIL Badger Love with our last pick ? :))))

We have 2 picks left. Scott Nelson better not go undrafted or you're going to make my rankings look bad. :)

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 05:37 PM
We have 2 picks left. Scott Nelson better not go undrafted or you're going to make my rankings look bad. :)

Jack Sanborne should be drafted as well :)

Bengals just drafted a DE I'd take over that lousy lazy NT Gute just took all day....he was on your list

red
04-30-2022, 09:07 PM
is this the guy that can finally cover a TE over the middle?

George Cumby
04-30-2022, 09:17 PM
ST's to start.

Looks like a sure tackler with heart.

I'll be interested to see Joe's scores on him. He looks fast.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2022, 03:30 AM
ESPN

Pre-Draft Analysis
Carpenter played strong safety at Georgia Tech but projects best in a hybrid linebacker role and should contribute on special teams in the NFL. He's tight, but he has long arms, is instinctive and shows good burst breaking on the ball. He's a rangy run-defender who uses those long arms to lasso ball carriers in space. -- Steve Muench

run pMc
05-01-2022, 10:54 AM
Well if he's instinctive he's a step up from Burks. He'll be a ST demon. I like the pick. His highlights are fun and for a R7 seems like he could really fire up Lambeau.

Don't think he'll see many snaps on D but if they want to play him as that hybrid S/LB role they probably could give him a chance there (why would you with Quay though).
Seems rangy and likes to hit.

Joemailman
05-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Heat seeking missile type. Agility might be a problem in coverage.

PFF:

Round 7, Pick 228: Tariq Carpenter, LB, Georgia Tech
They started the 2022 NFL Draft with a linebacker selection and the Green Bay Packers add some further depth late on Day 3. Tariq Carpenter is a versatile prospect who is seen time at both safety and linebacker.

His calling card is bone-shaking physicality against the run while playing with a red-hot motor that never stops. He lacks the necessary athleticism to be impactful in coverage despite having a background as a wide receiver and kick returner. Special-teams performance could be the key to him securing a roster spot with the Packers. It is decent value given his draft position.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRn9r8nWUAE6gIo.png