PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Seventh Round Pick, #249, OT Rasheed Walker

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2022, 05:32 PM
CBS Sports

Rasheed Walker OL, PSU
Height: 6-6, Weight: 313

Former big recruit who showcases his athletic chops on film often. Ugly wins pop more than expected but he has invaluable recovery skills and legitimate NFL OT length. If he learns to keep the gate closed longer this can be a steal for Green Bay.

Rating: 84.88 (Long-term starter)

Pro Comparison: Donovan Smith

Strengths:

Young, athletic, battler with encouraging recovery ability and weaknesses that can be easily ironed out of his game. Balanced, powerful punches and doesn't automatically lose if he doesn't get first contact. Has some nastiness to his game. Above-average anchor, though it takes him a second to sit into it. Wasn't perfect vs. Ojabo and Hutchinson but had some impressive wins. Actively resets his hands during the rep so he's not put in a bad position. Methodical power in the run game, and his above-average athleticism shows there. Lower half is loose and, if he can learn to keep his feet moving as rapidly as his hands, he'd have elite recovery skill. The tenacity and overall athleticism are already there.

Weaknesses:

Has a tendency to open the gate a touch early which shallows the arc he creates to the QB. Some ugly losses on film. Recovery skill is great but does lose more often than what's considered normal for a top prospect.

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 05:35 PM
This looks much better than how ESPN just summed him up... :)

run pMc
04-30-2022, 05:44 PM
Haven't watched him, but I saw a lot of boards and consensus board had him higher. There's a lot to work with and the GB OL coaching has been top notch so there's a good chance they can turn him into something.

red
04-30-2022, 09:01 PM
this guy doesn't seem that bad either, nice pickup for a 7th rounder

Bretsky
04-30-2022, 09:34 PM
this guy doesn't seem that bad either, nice pickup for a 7th rounder

Kool Aidy fruitcake :)

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2022, 03:31 AM
ESPN

Pre-Draft Analysis
Walker has the powerful punch to stun pass-rushers and gives up little ground to bull-rushers. He struggles with overextending and getting off balance. He shows good short-area quickness and is powerful at the point of attack in the run game. Walker needs to improve his hand placement and leverage. He was a three-year starter at left tackle but projects best at right tackle or guard in the NFL. -- Steve Muench

RashanGary
05-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Kool Aidy fruitcake :)

I know, reds sucking the kook aid and Im the realist this draft :lol:

Fosco33
05-01-2022, 12:40 PM
My buddy who’s a big steeler fan was pissed we got him.

I wished we had gotten Ferguson instead of the Cowboys.

Sparkey
05-02-2022, 01:33 PM
https://youtu.be/g_9tDWeIYaU

You can see what the scouts say about him. Lunges forward at times, stays too upright and doesn't mirror as well and loses his balance. BUT he is so strong and large that even with those mistakes, he still can recover. With good coaching, he could end up being a really REALLY good RT in a few years.

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Those strengths and weaknesses say Guard to me. He should be a decent road grader/run blocker and less "mirroring" needed as a Guard. I see this guy as a way better prospect than Tom.

MadScientist
05-02-2022, 11:14 PM
https://youtu.be/g_9tDWeIYaU

You can see what the scouts say about him. Lunges forward at times, stays too upright and doesn't mirror as well and loses his balance. BUT he is so strong and large that even with those mistakes, he still can recover. With good coaching, he could end up being a really REALLY good RT in a few years.

I see an average college tackle, especially if this is supposed to be a highlight reel. Most of his wins look like they were on very quick passes because the right side of the lines was terrible and collapsed immediately. I hope you are right that he can be coached into something useful.

Joemailman
05-02-2022, 11:22 PM
I think this guy needs a year on the PS to work on his technique. He's got the physical tools though.

RashanGary
05-12-2022, 08:19 PM
McGinn had him as a top 100 pick. The scouts said he has a shot to play tackle in the league if he gets it together between the ears.

Could be a 7th round steal if he gets it together.

bobblehead
05-13-2022, 01:25 PM
I want to compare him to Yosh, but my eyes say different. Yosh is fluid and smooth for a mammoth of a man. Walker isn't that at all, more strong and fast. Tex actually is right, that could translate to really big guard.

Fritz
05-14-2022, 09:09 AM
Is Sean Rhyan also projecting as a guard? If so, they seem to have drafted three guards in this draft. That's weird. They need at least one of them to be a tackle, and preferably Bakh's replacement in a year or two.

Joemailman
05-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Is Sean Rhyan also projecting as a guard? If so, they seem to have drafted three guards in this draft. That's weird. They need at least one of them to be a tackle, and preferably Bakh's replacement in a year or two.

MLF said they're going to give him a shot at Tackle. Most people see him as a Guard. Of Course, most people saw Tauscher and Bakhtiari as a Guard too.

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 09:55 AM
Half of McGinns scouts said Rhyan was a tackle. Half said Tom was a tackle. Most said Walker was a tackle.

After the draft McGinns scouts said Rasheed Walker slipped because of his knee. Said he was a 3rd round pick and a possible starting tackle.

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2022, 10:16 AM
He slipped because his tape wasn’t good. He’s built like an NFL OT though.

I used to trust the overall rankings provided by McGinn (haven’t seen them in years), but pretty much ignored the scouts’ quotes. They were often contradictory and generally negative.

Can you find these quotes from previous years?

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 11:40 AM
He slipped because his tape wasn’t good. He’s built like an NFL OT though.

I used to trust the overall rankings provided by McGinn (haven’t seen them in years), but pretty much ignored the scouts’ quotes. They were often contradictory and generally negative.

Can you find these quotes from previous years?

Hes been bouncing around. I cant find last years (the athletic) stuff. It disappeared. I paid for a couple months each year when he was on his own. I paid this year for Tyler Dunne.

He wins a bunch of years on the sports writers top 100 competition. He obviously has good sources.

Hes my favorite draft source.

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2022, 02:09 PM
His rankings are the best, but I’d like to see his quotes for scouts in regards to people like Jaire, Rashan, Davante and conversely Josh Jackson and others who stunk. Like I said, the scout’s quotes were often contradictory and genuinely negative.

run pMc
05-14-2022, 02:45 PM
Agree on the scout quotes. They are interesting, but often contradictory or negative, and it's kind of confusing other than to point out that there rarely are consensus great prospects outside the top 10.
Also - McGinn is kind of a Debbie Downer himself, so maybe some of the quotes he uses reflect that, or maybe some of his sources shouldn't have jobs... I can recall some pretty bad ones from his draft reviews.

My personal favorite was the scout who loved Jamal Reynolds and said his leverage and bend were great and he got so low "he could walk under a duck". We know how that turned out.

Joemailman
05-14-2022, 06:25 PM
Agree on the scout quotes. They are interesting, but often contradictory or negative, and it's kind of confusing other than to point out that there rarely are consensus great prospects outside the top 10.
Also - McGinn is kind of a Debbie Downer himself, so maybe some of the quotes he uses reflect that, or maybe some of his sources shouldn't have jobs... I can recall some pretty bad ones from his draft reviews.

My personal favorite was the scout who loved Jamal Reynolds and said his leverage and bend were great and he got so low "he could walk under a duck". We know how that turned out.

I remember early in training camp Reynolds' rookie year they had him going up against Chad Clifton. Man, I think they had to fill out a missing persons report.

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 08:08 PM
Rasheed Walker might be on an injury redshirt season. Hopefully the light bulb comes on and he prioritizes recovery and football. He's not the typical 7th round pick. He's got a real shot.

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;1116279]His rankings are the best, but I

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 08:14 PM
Scouts on Eric Stokes, per Harvey's request

What scouts said about Stokes

Here’s what NFL personnel told me before the draft about cornerback Eric Stokes.

NFC scout: “He’s got great recovery skills. He’s got a knack for the interception. He just stands out. He started out as a running back and track guy. Then he quit the track team to focus on football. He’s got good toughness. He’s a physical tackler. He’s an exceptional special-teamer. There’s high upside with this guy. Late-first or early-second round.”

AFC scout: “He has the same grade as (fellow Georgia CB Tyson) Campbell. Stokes is skinnier than Campbell, but he is really instinctive and is a click faster. He’s the fastest guy of the (cornerback) group.”

NFC scout: “He can’t catch, but he can run fast. He’s big and athletic. He goes between 30 and 45.”

NFC scout: “I like him, but he has worse ball skills than Campbell. Watch his pro day. He has more interceptions than Campbell, so the ball might find him, but he’ll never be a natural at it. … If he gets balls where he can track it and doesn’t have to get his eyes to it late, he’ll catch those. If he has to get his eyes to it late, he’ll have problems with those. Is he first-round worthy? Probably late, or early in the second.”

AFC scout: “I don’t like him as much as some people. I didn’t even see second round.”

NFC scout: “He was up and down in his career. He was a little bit better this year. His big issue is transition quickness, when he’s in off coverage, getting out of his backpedal, planting and driving back toward the receiver for the ball. Another way to say it is matching routes. His ability to match routes when he’s in zone was off. His deep-ball skills were really inconsistent.”

AFC scout: “He’s Stanford Routt. He’s stiff. He’s a track guy playing football. Now, he can play press. He has height and speed. Sprinters are straight-line guys. Fourth or fifth round.”

NFC scout: “(I) like him. I’d take him over (Caleb) Farley. He’s big, too, and he’s smooth. He’s got excellent feel and body control. Just a natural at what he does. Press stuff is easy for him. When he’s off, he’s got instant change of direction. His length kind of saves him.”

AFC scout: “He needs to improve his ball skills. The height/weight/speed (combo) is going to be too hard to pass up.”

NFC scout: “I’d like to take a shot on him because he can really fly.”

AFC scout: “He’s a starter. He just doesn’t take the ball away the way other guys do.”

AFC scout: “He’s twitched up and he’s fast. Little bit of a track body. I like him. The speed might push him over because at that position, people will gamble.”

NFC scout: “He ran 4.2 something. Somebody might take him in the first. (Georgia coach) Kirby Smart said he is a little rough around the edges, but he is physical and he’s fast.”

NFC scout: “He can’t catch, but he can run.”

AFC scout: “He’s not the total package, but he has the physical qualities.”

RashanGary
05-14-2022, 08:23 PM
2. RASHAN GARY, Michigan (6-4 1/2, 276, 4.63, 1): Third-year junior. “He plays along the line on his feet, he’s explosive, he’s got twitch, he’s got a great get-off and lean,” said one scout. “His skill level is in the top 5 to 10%. His production is in the top 40%. We see him as a 5-technique but he could be a 3-technique. With that speed he can play on the right side.” Two-year starter in a multiple scheme, usually on the left side. “His whole life he has been the biggest, fastest person,” a second scout said. “With that you don’t have to strain and do the extras. I think that’s what happened to him. Everything was just so easy for him that he hasn’t incorporated that internal high motor to match his physical gifts. The production is not there … You see him anchor and toss people. You see him bull rush and stab guys. Then you don’t see it. He and Ed Oliver have a chance to bust. He’s just always been so much better than everyone else that he never had to try to kick your ***.” Led the position in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump (38 inches) and broad jump (10-0). His Wonderlic of 9 was the lowest among the top 25 D-linemen. “I’m not sold that Rashan Gary loves football,” a third scout said. “His football character is not very good. His interview wasn’t good. He thinks he’s this great worker. He has plays that he could have made but he didn’t finish or pursue.” From Plainfield, N.J. “I wish I had him,” said a fourth scout. “When he’s visible, he’s visible.”