PDA

View Full Version : Is the OL better?

RashanGary
05-06-2022, 08:33 PM
Is Bakhtiari back or is his knee shot?
Will Jenkins make it back around mid season and will he be the same player?
Will Newman make a big second year jump?
Will Meyers make a big second year jump?
How good is Sean Rhyan?
How good is Zach Tom?

Runyan and Nijman are the only two without major question marks. Runyan is a solid player and Nijman is an average player. So we have a couple OK pieces.

This could be a disaster if things dont fall the way we hope.

Or it could be a real strength if everything falls into place the way we hope.

Or it could fall somewhere in between.

It will be interesting to watch it play out.

RashanGary
05-06-2022, 08:39 PM
Lets say about half the things go our way.

Bakh is done for but Jenkins makes it back to 100%
Meyers takes a big jump but Newman doesnt.
Rhyan is a legit player but Tom is too light

The beginning of our year would be

Nijman (average)
Runyan (decent)
Meyers (taking a big jump forward)
Newman (being below average)
Rhyan (a rookie)

And Jenkins would replace Rhyan half way through. Possibly Rhyan could take over for the struggling Newman.

This is a legit possibility with all the question marks we have and about half of them going our way. If something like this happened and our receivers being so mediocre, we might struggle mightily on offense.

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2022, 09:35 PM
hahahahahahahaha Yeah, the O Line probably will be better ....... as if it makes a difference. Turner, Patrick, and Kelley on the minus side, Rhyan, Tom, and R. Walker on the plus side, that's kind of a wash. Bakhtiari maybe back to where he was before the injury? Whoop-di-doo hahahaha. Jenkins maybe suffering some lingering effect of his injury even when he does come back? minus. Myers coming back? big plus. Runyan and Newman and Nijman getting better? plus, I guess.

Mazzin
05-06-2022, 11:00 PM
I think we will sign a cheap veteran before the season starts, and yes I think all things considered we will have a better O-line.

Upnorth
05-07-2022, 07:25 AM
if bak comes back yes. If Jenkins comes back yes. If both come back hell yes!!!!!

If our oline is first 15 weeks of 2020 good then I bet rodgers is MVP even after losing 17. Getting bak and Jenkins back is a huge step towards that.

smuggler
05-07-2022, 07:37 AM
I don't see how it wouldn't be better, when last year we didn't have Bakhtiari or Jenkins.

RashanGary
05-07-2022, 10:46 AM
I don't see how it wouldn't be better, when last year we didn't have Bakhtiari or Jenkins.

If those guys make it back, its better. Plus the gains of Meyers and Newman IF they happen. It has potential to be a nice improvement.

Bretsky
05-07-2022, 02:45 PM
Is there a reason we think Bach might not be back ? Just curious if there is news I'm unaware of

run pMc
05-07-2022, 02:50 PM
I think he'll be bahk and just fine. He looked ok in his snaps vs. DET, he just rushed bahk too soon. Having an offseason to recover will help. Every body recovers differently, and I think older and bigger players might take a little longer to recover. I would expect him to be ready to go for training camp.

The OL will be younger, and I would expect better. The big question is, who will be the starting RT for Week 1?

RashanGary
05-07-2022, 04:25 PM
I think he'll be bahk and just fine. He looked ok in his snaps vs. DET, he just rushed bahk too soon. Having an offseason to recover will help. Every body recovers differently, and I think older and bigger players might take a little longer to recover. I would expect him to be ready to go for training camp.

The OL will be younger, and I would expect better. The big question is, who will be the starting RT for Week 1?

Probably Nijman. But at least they have all offseason to get him settled in. We are thin at tackle until Jenkins hopefully comes back. One injury and were looking at a rookie.

King Friday
05-07-2022, 09:00 PM
I think this line is much improved with the draft additions. The coaching staff knows how to coach up young talent, and I think they just got a couple very good young players.

bobblehead
05-08-2022, 09:21 AM
It all hinges on Bak being ready day 1 and Jenkins coming back in time to acclimate and be 100% for playoffs.

An OLine of Bak, Tom, Meyers, Runyan, Jenkins would be really good. I guess conventional wisdom is that Rhyse should be starting over Tom due to draft stock, but I just don't see it playing out that way. Backups of Nijman, Rhyse, Newman and whoever would be pretty good.

Jaire
05-08-2022, 09:40 AM
I'm very happy with Gute's rebuilding this Oline over the last four years.

This year: when Bakh and Jenkins are back, of course it's better.

Long term: no doubt ........ TT had really neglected the line for several years. A+ for Gute rebuilding this team while keeping it a contender at the same time (still an F on the Jordan Love pick). And it was the Oline that lost us the playoffs the last two years, esp in 2020: of course, it was injuries mainly last year (Tonyan, MVS, Dillon didn't help either).

Joemailman
05-11-2022, 07:35 AM
2 years in a row, Packers have gone into the playoffs injury depleted at Tackle. I'll feel good about this season when it appears Bakhtiari can play without his knee filling up with fluid again. Until then, it's a question mark. Not hopeless, but a question mark.

run pMc
05-11-2022, 11:32 AM
I think they are (mostly) telling the truth when they say "best 5 guys" with how they cross train them. Rhyan or Tom will get a look at T and even if they aren't a prototypical RT if they get the job done they might stick. Bahktiari was considered likely to need to move to C by many scouts, and he's been LT since his rookie season. Mark Tauscher made it at RT with t-rex arms and a doughy body. If you have good enough feet and technique you might be able to squeeze by. Gute has drafted a LOT of OL the last few years -- he's really upgraded the talent and competition there. With how injuries have hit, that's been a good thing. Most teams don't have anyone who can play backup tackle competently, GB rolled out several players last year.

Sure would be nice to have a couple of 6-6 dancing bears on either bookend though.

bobblehead
05-13-2022, 01:30 PM
Is there a reason we think Bach might not be back ? Just curious if there is news I'm unaware of

Because he missed every timeline set for him last year....that and the enduring memory of Derick Sherrod.

Edit: My apologies if I caused anyone to fall into fits of depression by mentioning Sherrod.

Upnorth
05-13-2022, 05:19 PM

Every time he pushed it it started swelling. That could be a sign his knee is done.

RashanGary
05-13-2022, 05:43 PM
Were due for a lucky health year. If everything falls into place, weve got a kick ass OL.

Joemailman
05-13-2022, 09:27 PM
Don't know about Bakhtiari's knee, but he's in top shape otherwise.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1525269627038752768

texaspackerbacker
05-13-2022, 10:01 PM
The best thing the Packers had going was strength for interior runs, and with Myers back healthy, they should have that again - Runyan and Newman being not quite as good as when Jenkins was playing Guard, but good enough. I really hope (and think) that they won't mess that up and play Tom at Guard.

Hopefully the Bakhtiari fans will get their chance to crow about his greatness again. If not, the team will be fine anyway. I wish when Jenkins comes back they would reinstall him at Left Guard and leave Nijman at Tackle, probably with Runyan at RG and Newman the top back up. If it turns out that they do put Jenkins at RT, though, I really hope they leave Runyan and Newman at the Guards.

Joemailman
06-20-2022, 09:21 AM
They should be better, but there are still tons of questions. If Bakhtiari is back, they can probably put Nijman at RT until Jenkins is ready. But if neither Bakh or Jenkins are back at the start of the season, then Nijman probably has to start at LT. In that scenario, RT is a huge question mark. Van Lanen, Rhyan, Tom and maybe even Newman would get a look at RT.

texaspackerbacker
06-20-2022, 09:48 AM
Yeah, we should get back to some real content hahahaha.

As ya'all may know, I downplay the importance of the O Line in the Aaron Rodgers era. However, it is important in the run game, and if Rodgers ever gets any less mobile or maybe with his go-to WR gone, the line might be more of a factor - slightly. I also have always thought Bakhtiari and his importance are overrated. I'll be a lot happier to get Jenkins back than him.

All that being said, I think the Packers are literally loaded with depth - moderately good if not great O Linemen. Joe, I didn't see one name I'm expecting a lot from: Jon Runyan. I was impressed by him and to a lesser extent Van Lanen in, of all places, the softball game. Runyan looked quick and agile - basically like a dancing bear. That should translate to O Line play too. Interior blocking was the Packers' strong point last season, and getting Josh Meyers back is only gonna accentuate that. I think Rhyan is gonna be a player too. Tom, who I have criticized, seems agile and quick. I'd be just about as comfortable with Nijman or somebody else at LT as with Bakhtiari. Newman too, seems like more than an adequate replacement for Billy Turner.

Regardless, the Packers will be fine in the O Line (no rhyme intended) - even better than last season, with or without Bakhtiari.

RashanGary
06-20-2022, 10:23 AM
Itll be interesting to watch it play out. I think Bakh is gonna be back. Lafleur said he expects him ready for TC. He added that they expected him back last year and were disappointed.

And then we have Meyers back in his second year. That could be a big jump.

Runyan is decent and still could get better.

Newman is likely to be a lot better.

Nijman would be our worst case RT unless someone beats him out.

And then we have Rhyan, Tom, Hanson, VanLanen and others fighting to beat out the guys we have. Plus Jenkins coming back mid season.

We have a good shot at a strong OL. Rhyan, in particular, seems like a really high quality prospect. And Tom is a little undersized but could develop into a player too.

Worst case is Bakh and Jenkins dont make
It back. Then were thin at tackle. But i do expect both back this year and the OL to be really strong.

privatepacker
06-20-2022, 12:32 PM
Itll be interesting to watch it play out. I think Bakh is gonna be back. Lafleur said he expects him ready for TC. He added that they expected him back last year and were disappointed.

And then we have Meyers back in his second year. That could be a big jump.

Runyan is decent and still could get better.

Newman is likely to be a lot better.

Nijman would be our worst case RT unless someone beats him out.

And then we have Rhyan, Tom, Hanson, VanLanen and others fighting to beat out the guys we have. Plus Jenkins coming back mid season.

We have a good shot at a strong OL. Rhyan, in particular, seems like a really high quality prospect. And Tom is a little undersized but could develop into a player too.

Worst case is Bakh and Jenkins dont make
It back. Then were thin at tackle. But i do expect both back this year and the OL to be really strong.

I think Rhyan may be the best Oline prospect Green Bay has drafted since Jenkins, and Sitton. I really think he has a starting job once the pads go on.

Joemailman
06-20-2022, 02:42 PM
Starting OL with Bakhtiari but not Jenkins: Bakhtiari/Runyan/Myers/Newman/Nijman

Starting OL without either Bakhtiari or Jenkins: Nijman/Runyan/Myers/Rhyan/Newman

Starting OL with both Bakhtiari and Jenkins: Bakhriari/Runyan/Myers/Newman/Jenkins

Rhyan could very well end up a starter in each scenario.

texaspackerbacker
06-20-2022, 03:13 PM
Is this A. what you want? B. what you predict? C. somebody else's predictions?

It seems pretty accurate IMO. If it was up to me, which obviously it ain't, I'd keep Jenkins at Guard when he returns, and put either Newman or Rhyan or Nijman at RT, because I consider the interior positions more important than Tackle.

Joemailman
06-20-2022, 03:41 PM

It seems pretty accurate IMO. If it was up to me, which obviously it ain't, I'd keep Jenkins at Guard when he returns, and put either Newman or Rhyan or Nijman at RT, because I consider the interior positions more important than Tackle.

Just my uninformed prediction.

Fritz
06-20-2022, 03:42 PM
It all depends of Bakh. If he's back, the dominoes will all fall into place. If he's not, then it's a patchwork job again.

RashanGary
06-20-2022, 04:17 PM
It all depends of Bakh. If he's back, the dominoes will all fall into place. If he's not, then it's a patchwork job again.

Its quite a bit different with Bakh

bobblehead
06-21-2022, 12:33 PM
I think Rhyan may be the best Oline prospect Green Bay has drafted since Jenkins, and Sitton. I really think he has a starting job once the pads go on.

He reminds me of Sitton a lot. But I disagree on his upside. He doesn't move like Jenkins. He doesn't have footwork or technique like Tom has. If the job opening is RT then he likely gets a legit shot to start, but if its RG then I think Tom takes it. Tom just isn't big enough to play T in the NFL (yet). I think the packers got exteme value with all 3 OL they drafted. Walker looks the part as well and was a steal in the 6th.

I have a concern for those who think Nijman can play RT. As founder of the Yosh fanclub I am remiss to point out his weaknesses, but he was extremely raw when he came to GB and all his work has been on the left side. Some guys can move back and forth and some can't. I'm not convinced a guy who has worked so hard to become a legit LT, but hasn't been bouncing around the OL his whole life can just swap sides.

bobblehead
06-21-2022, 12:35 PM

Tex, you have been consistent on this one, but you aren't right. Jenkins is an all pro level tackle and as such you use him there unless you have 2 other ones. Its a lot harder on an offense when a tackle needs help. When you can island both sides with studs you do it and everything else falls into place.

bobblehead
06-21-2022, 12:37 PM

Not really. The packers are blessed that they have 2 of the top 15 LT in the game. Even more blessed that if both are out you have a guy who was somewhere near the bottom of starting LTs, but still improving. The starting LT will be Bak, Jenkins, Yosh in that order. MiLF was an idiot for not starting Yosh in SF. I don't think he makes that mistake again.

texaspackerbacker
06-21-2022, 02:55 PM
Tex, you have been consistent on this one, but you aren't right. Jenkins is an all pro level tackle and as such you use him there unless you have 2 other ones. Its a lot harder on an offense when a tackle needs help. When you can island both sides with studs you do it and everything else falls into place.

I clearly recall Jenkins not being nearly as effective as a OT compared to what he was at LG. And yeah, you're right in most cases on most teams that it's harder to help out if a OT gets beat. However, my point has been for a long time, that Aaron Rodgers makes the Packers different in that respect. I don't EVER remember - not without Bakhtiari, not with Bakhtiari, not with anybody else at LT - a time that Rodgers did not get a brutal outside pass rush, and the huge percentage of the time, he beats the rush anyway with his mobility. A pass rush right up the middle, on the other hand, is difficult even for Rodgers to deal with. The more important aspect of the O Line, though, with the Packers anyway, is run blocking. The great majority of our success there was inside - excellent blocking by the Guards and Center. That's why I would prefer Jenkins at Guard. We never had much success running outside anyway - not with Jenkins at OT, not with Bakhtiari either.

Teamcheez1
06-21-2022, 09:29 PM
I have a firm belief that the Packers have drafted a preponderance of versatile OL because they are not comfortable with Bakhtiaria’s future. I believe they are hoping they can get 1 or 2 years out of him before cutting the cord. If he is not ready to start the season they will have wasted $30M on zero performance since late 2020.

bobblehead
06-22-2022, 08:32 AM
I clearly recall Jenkins not being nearly as effective as a OT compared to what he was at LG. And yeah, you're right in most cases on most teams that it's harder to help out if a OT gets beat. However, my point has been for a long time, that Aaron Rodgers makes the Packers different in that respect. I don't EVER remember - not without Bakhtiari, not with Bakhtiari, not with anybody else at LT - a time that Rodgers did not get a brutal outside pass rush, and the huge percentage of the time, he beats the rush anyway with his mobility. A pass rush right up the middle, on the other hand, is difficult even for Rodgers to deal with. The more important aspect of the O Line, though, with the Packers anyway, is run blocking. The great majority of our success there was inside - excellent blocking by the Guards and Center. That's why I would prefer Jenkins at Guard. We never had much success running outside anyway - not with Jenkins at OT, not with Bakhtiari either.

Marshal Newhouse

ThunderDan
06-22-2022, 10:22 AM
Sacks given up by year.
2021 - 33
2020 - 21
2019 - 36
2018 - 53
2017 - 51
2016 - 35
2015 - 47
2014 - 30

texaspackerbacker
06-22-2022, 10:25 AM
Those numbers seem to say no Bakhtiari, no significant difference.

Upnorth
06-22-2022, 02:28 PM
Those numbers seem to say no Bakhtiari, no significant difference.

If those numbers represented sacks given up by LT you would be right. They represent the whole line.
2020 we had a very consistent uninjured ol till the last week and that is shown here.

The fact our line only gave up 33 shows how well gute has done to restock in a Lafluer system.
Speaking of system using pre 2019 vs 2019 til now shows a very different level.of sacks.
Its not just the qb, but the system as well. 12 helps (and hinders) in many ways but system counts. If system doesn't matter then Brady is the best even no question.

Anyone have access to pressure stats over this time period. Sacks dont tell the whole story.

run pMc
06-27-2022, 07:43 AM
The analytics folks generally look at sacks as more of a QB stat than an OL stat... the thinking being some QBs hold the ball longer or take more sacks than others to avoid throwing a pick.
I'm not sure I agree: I think QB, OL, scheme, WR talent, and the D faced all play into it.

RashanGary
06-27-2022, 11:35 AM
I think Bakh will be back. I dont remember a time in recent history where a knee ended a relatively young guys career. I think hell be ready to roll.

Runyan is solid
Meyers was decent and obviously projects to be a good notch better with a healthy offseason this year and in his second year .
Newman played better in the second half of the season and projects to be improved in year 2.
Nijman is an OK tackle until Jenkins comes back.

Rhyan, Tom and the others push these guys for starting spots.

The OL looks slightly improved from last year and with so much young promising talent, it looks even better down the road if we resign Jenkins.

bobblehead
06-28-2022, 09:43 AM
The analytics folks generally look at sacks as more of a QB stat than an OL stat... the thinking being some QBs hold the ball longer or take more sacks than others to avoid throwing a pick.
I'm not sure I agree: I think QB, OL, scheme, WR talent, and the D faced all play into it.

Dan Marino once went 19 consecutive games without being sacked. His OL was decent but they barely ran the ball. His release under pressure was legendary.

bobblehead
06-28-2022, 09:43 AM
I think Bakh will be back. I dont remember a time in recent history where a knee ended a relatively young guys career. I think hell be ready to roll.

Derick Sherrod

Joemailman
06-28-2022, 10:11 AM
Derick Sherrod

Sherrod broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg. Much worse than a knee. He had to have emergency surgery there in Kansas City because he couldn't be put on a plane as he was.

bobblehead
06-28-2022, 12:49 PM
Sherrod broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg. Much worse than a knee. He had to have emergency surgery there in Kansas City because he couldn't be put on a plane as he was.

As far as recoveries go, sherrods injury wasn't any worse than Bak. And the curve is eerily similar. Missed target dates. "clean up" surgeries. Attempt to play and back to rehab. I'm not saying Bak is done, I'm saying we have serious reasons to worry.

bobblehead
06-28-2022, 12:58 PM
How about:

Gale Sayers, Terell Davis, I think Billy Sims. Its easy with RBs because we remember them. But a promising OL is lost and no one really notices. There have been guys whose careers have been cut short by knee injuries amongst the OL. Admittedly you expect them to recover in general though....but again, with Bak missing benchmarks and failing in an attempt to come back after a year and now being coddled you have to wonder.

run pMc
06-28-2022, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/BookOfEli_NFL/status/1267569107903250435

David Bakhtiari has allowed only 14 sacks over his last 3,506 pass-blocking snaps.

That's 250 snaps per sack ��

His
@PFF
PBLK grades over the last 5 seasons.

2015 - 6th
2016 - 1st
2017 - 1st
2018 - 1st
2019 - 2nd

texaspackerbacker
06-28-2022, 07:28 PM
Thank you Mr. Rodgers.

bobblehead
06-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Thank you Mr. Rodgers.

Its like you don't even watch the games.

texaspackerbacker
06-29-2022, 12:54 PM
You seriously don't believe that the primary reason the O Line and particularly Bakhtiari are so highly rated is Rodgers quick release and/or escaping the pass rush? YOU would seem to be the one not watching the games if you don't see that pass rush pressure, especially outside rush, on virtually every pass play.

run pMc
06-30-2022, 12:04 PM
First, I'll say that an elite QB (or even a top 10 QB) is valuable and usually the difference between making the playoffs or not.

That out of the way, Rodgers has a tendency to hold the ball and take sacks vs. throw picks -- it's why his Int rate is so low. It's a habit from MM offense, where he'd hold the ball and use his pocket awareness to buy time for the big play. Rodgers also has a quick release (not Marino quick, but still very quick) and on most days very very good accuracy. He doesn't escape the pocket like he used to, he runs a lot less than he used to -- Father Time is telling him he has 2-3 seasons left and Rodgers admitted as much to the press earlier this off-season. If the OL hold their blocks for 3 seconds, that's a plus play for them. If they have to hold it for 4-5 seconds while Rodgers holds the ball looking for a bigger splash play down the field vs. what MLF called and the OL blocking starts to break down that's on Rodgers not the OL and it's graded that way. It's interesting to note that when Rodgers is actually at his best when he doesn't hold the ball and plays the quick game -- like the Bears comeback game in 2018.

Watch the cut-ups of Bahktiari. He's good. Maybe a bit overrated, but still very very good. (Rodgers says so, so it must be true! lol) If there wasn't any dropoff from Bahk to Njiman, they wouldn't have given Yosh so much TE chip help (Lewis, Tonyan, etc.). I suspect not having Jenkins and Bakh on the left side (along with swapping out Linsley for Myers/Patrick) was a big reason for the drop in big run plays and running effectiveness last year. Aaron Jones sprung loose a lot less, and there weren't many 10+ yard runs from Dillon either.

You can give the QB a lot of the credit, but not all of it. You can't say the OL isn't good because the QB is good -- Joe Burrow's pretty good and he got killed behind a terrible line and it cost them a SB. You can't say the WRs don't matter either -- swapping out Adams for rookie season Watson is a net loss that a great QB can't make up for 1-1. The QB is not the entire offense - he needs competent blocking and catching for all his glorious golden armed throws to be completed.

I don't doubt you are watching the games, but I question whether you are seeing what's happening with an unbiased eye.

texaspackerbacker
06-30-2022, 04:22 PM
Rodgers "has a tendency to hold the ball and take sacks"? Come on. How then does the O Line get that reputation for being so good in terms of sacks? hahahaha. And THAT is why he doesn't throw picks? Again, come on. hahahaha. He is one of the most accurate throwing QBs in history, and he has a clear mindset not to throw picks. Now if you wanted to claim he occasionally throws it away on purpose instead of putting it up for grabs OR getting sacked, yeah, that's probably true. Would you seriously want it any other way?

The only way I see "Father Time" creeping up on Rodgers is that he seems just a little bit more careful about taking off and running - again, a good thing. When he does run, though, he still looks as fast and athletic as ever. I notice him "chop stepping" more instead of long striding. As a 75 year old tennis player, I can say first hand that's how to avoid hamstrings and calf muscle injuries.

Granted, Bakhtiari is (or at least was "good"). I just don't think he was anything special in run blocking, and I think his pass blocking seemed better than it was because of Rodgers.

I wouldn't say WRs "don't matter", but I certainly would say they can look way better or way worse than they really are because of who the QB is.

Hell no, I don't watch Packer games with an "unbiased eye". Who does? It's pro-Packer first, last, and always. It's also observing what works and who's making it happen too, as I suspect some people don't.

bobblehead
07-12-2022, 08:34 AM
I just saw an interesting list of the top centers in the game. 1) Creed Humphrey 2) Cory Linsley 5) JC Tretter

If the packers had gone consensus of Humphrey instead of Myers what a recent history we could have claimed at the position.

Joemailman
07-12-2022, 08:50 AM
I just saw an interesting list of the top centers in the game. 1) Creed Humphrey 2) Cory Linsley 5) JC Tretter

If the packers had gone consensus of Humphrey instead of Myers what a recent history we could have claimed at the position.

Maybe they still will.

texaspackerbacker
07-12-2022, 11:21 AM
Myers would, of course, be higher ranked if not for the injury. He was a major reason for the Packers' great success running inside. IMO, he was better even than Linsley who really is good enough to be ranked that high. I'd also much rather have Myers than Humphrey.

Upnorth
07-12-2022, 11:27 AM
If Meyers comes back as good from his knee injury as he was before he is definitely a top 10 centre (and probably even better but 4 games is as small sample size).
I think I am projecting bak injury return issues on to myers and Jenkins as I am nervous as heck about our oline. 3 months ago I wasn't near as concerned as I am now

texaspackerbacker
07-12-2022, 11:32 AM
It was my recollection that his knee wasn't that serious. It was mostly the hand that kept him out so long. And recovery from a hand injury should be 100%. BTW, is it "Myers" or "Meyers"? Anybody know for sure?

bobblehead
07-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Myers would, of course, be higher ranked if not for the injury. He was a major reason for the Packers' great success running inside. IMO, he was better even than Linsley who really is good enough to be ranked that high. I'd also much rather have Myers than Humphrey.

He wouldn't be top 5 though. Or probably even top 10. He is very big for a center and I have high hopes for him as he reaches the 2nd level very well. I hope we see him healthy and improved this year. And there is no reason to say he can't be top 5 in the near future.

texaspackerbacker
07-12-2022, 11:44 AM
I disagree. Before his injury, he was outstanding as a run blocker. It's hard to tell about pass blocking, as Rodgers makes just about anybody in the OLine seem good.

run pMc
07-12-2022, 12:35 PM
I was surprised they took Myers over Humphrey. Humphrey so far has been the better center though it's only been one season.
Myers has shown enough for me to think he's good though.

Upnorth
07-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Myers (correct spelling which is funny I'm posting that) gave up 0 sacks 0 pressures 0 hurries from what I have read.
Plus plowed holes in the run game. A full season will move him top 10 at least if he can keep that up.

George Cumby
07-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Dan Marino once went 19 consecutive games without being sacked. His OL was decent but they barely ran the ball. His release under pressure was legendary.

Marino and Shula at the top of their game.

A must see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yscC_Wg1u4

bobblehead
07-13-2022, 10:52 AM
Myers (correct spelling which is funny I'm posting that) gave up 0 sacks 0 pressures 0 hurries from what I have read.
Plus plowed holes in the run game. A full season will move him top 10 at least if he can keep that up.

Agreed. I'm surprised his pass blocking was that stellar, but it was a 4 game sample. I think it will go down as a good pick before the final chapter is written. And if he plays a full season with even the most modest of improvement he should probably crack the top 10 with room to be even higher.

bobblehead
07-13-2022, 10:54 AM
Marino and Shula at the top of their game.

A must see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yscC_Wg1u4

I got goosebumps watching that. I remember the game too, the only loss for that bears team. If I recall it was a monday night game too and I was struggling to stay awake on a school night.

I have seen a lot of great QBs in their prime. For my money Marino is the GOAT. He didn't get the rings, and threw a few too many picks due to the lack of a run game and playing from behind too often. That release was the sickest I have ever seen. If he hadn't lost his mobility due to injuries and/or played for a better franchise hard telling what might have been.

George Cumby
07-13-2022, 09:58 PM
I got goosebumps watching that. I remember the game too, the only loss for that bears team. If I recall it was a monday night game too and I was struggling to stay awake on a school night.

I have seen a lot of great QBs in their prime. For my money Marino is the GOAT. He didn't get the rings, and threw a few too many picks due to the lack of a run game and playing from behind too often. That release was the sickest I have ever seen. If he hadn't lost his mobility due to injuries and/or played for a better franchise hard telling what might have been.

This game is one of my top five, all time.

I was a Fins fan until they dumped Shula for JJ so I was glued to the TV that game and was totally losing my mind as, IIRC, the Bears were heavy favorites.

After that game, I was positive the Dolphins and Marino could beat them a second time in the SB and then they got upset by the fucking Patriots. And we all know how that worked out.

Fritz
07-14-2022, 09:27 AM
Don't know about Bakhtiari's knee, but he's in top shape otherwise.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1525269627038752768

I am still looking forward to a feel-good article about a young offensive lineman, who, through grit and determination, overcame impossible odds to become the first-ever one-legged player to earn a place on an NFL roster.

run pMc
07-14-2022, 11:55 AM
I am still looking forward to a feel-good article about a young offensive lineman, who, through grit and determination, overcame impossible odds to become the first-ever one-legged player to earn a place on an NFL roster.

Whenever I see there's a feel-good article about some player, it feels like a kiss of death for them to me. Not always true, but has happened enough that I can't help but think it.
In which case, we can probably expect Amari Rodgers to get shipped out for some other team's flop, or a late Day 3 pick.

As for Marino -- I watched some of his highlights about a month ago and was stunned -- he really was something special. I remembered being very very happy MIA beat the Bears that game...didn't get to stay up to watch the whole thing. (School night.) IIRC it was late enough in the season where the stupid talk of going undefeated was really heating up, and plus IT'S THE BEARS.

pittstang5
07-14-2022, 02:11 PM
Whenever I see there's a feel-good article about some player, it feels like a kiss of death for them to me. Not always true, but has happened enough that I can't help but think it.

I remember reading so many training camp stories every year about some later round draft pick or an UDFA playing balls to the wall or how the coaches are loving "X" Player only for him to get injured in TC or the preseason and he never comes back.

bobblehead
07-14-2022, 03:24 PM
This game is one of my top five, all time.

I was a Fins fan until they dumped Shula for JJ so I was glued to the TV that game and was totally losing my mind as, IIRC, the Bears were heavy favorites.

After that game, I was positive the Dolphins and Marino could beat them a second time in the SB and then they got upset by the fucking Patriots. And we all know how that worked out.

I always have an AFC team to cheer for. It usually is Miami or Cincy. Obviously, its the Bungles right now. I jumped on the Texans bandwagon for a minute because they beat the cowgirls in their first meeting (and JJ watt is from Wisconsin of course).

bobblehead
07-14-2022, 03:26 PM
In which case, we can probably expect Amari Rodgers to get shipped out for some other team's flop, or a late Day 3 pick.

As for Marino -- I watched some of his highlights about a month ago and was stunned -- he really was something special. I remembered being very very happy MIA beat the Bears that game...didn't get to stay up to watch the whole thing. (School night.) IIRC it was late enough in the season where the stupid talk of going undefeated was really heating up, and plus IT'S THE BEARS.

Meh...every player gets a puff piece at some point in the offseason. Some become players, some become Justin Harrell.