PDA

View Full Version : Tight End?

QBME
05-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Ok, lots of stuff about all the positions, except, if I

QBME
05-11-2022, 08:38 PM
O fer criny out loud

Just posted my doctorate dissertation on the position and all three points blown up for whatever reason.

QBME
05-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Try again reader’s digest version

Marcedes Lewis old slow

DeGuara smart but skinny

What else we got

QBME
05-11-2022, 08:42 PM
Oh btw big bob out for most of season

Joemailman
05-11-2022, 08:59 PM
Big Bob has been saying he'll be ready for start of training camp. We'll see.

Tyler Davis looked intriguing in very limited opportunities last year. He was signed late so was still learning the offense. Gute seems high on him.

Packers signed Eli Wolf off waivers from Colts. Not much information on him, but he played at Georgia. Bretsky should like the signing since he's always been mad about Packers not giving GM job to Eliot Wolf.

texaspackerbacker
05-11-2022, 09:52 PM
Tonyan says he'll be back early. The signing and the not drafting of a TE says the staff thinks so too. With him, the Packers are fine. Even without him, the Packers have four serviceable TEs. The position shouldn't be a problem.

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2022, 10:53 PM
Tonyan and Davis as the pass catching TEs
Lewis as the blocking TE
Deguara and Dafney as the H-Back types

If Tonyan is healthy early in camp, I don't see them adding anybody. It will basically be the same group they've had the last 2 years, and that isn't terrible. I still think Gute will look for another edge rusher, depth at safety, and a slot CB before worrying about TE. Outside of those three spots (and special teams), this roster is nice.

QBME
05-12-2022, 06:07 AM
It seems the Gooter follows this board and addresses concerns accordingly.

Packers pick up Tight End Eli Wolf from Indianapolis Colts practice squad.

Whew!

Upnorth
05-12-2022, 08:22 AM
Te is a next year problem. If tonyom does ok we can probably keep him. If goes 2020 he gets expensive. We have deguara for 2 years on rookie so cheap but has played very little so hard to know what we got. This year will likely tell us a lot.
Daffney is an rfa so if he is ok we can keep him cheap.
In the end te is our meh position, which is too bad.

bobblehead
05-13-2022, 01:28 PM
Well, the thing this offense is really missing is a Keith Jackson type of TE that can run past the LBs and stretch the seam up the middle of the field. That is the kind of guy that turns a Jones run of 8 into 25 without ever throwing a block.

Fritz
05-14-2022, 09:08 AM
Well, the thing this offense is really missing is a Keith Jackson type of TE that can run past the LBs and stretch the seam up the middle of the field. That is the kind of guy that turns a Jones run of 8 into 25 without ever throwing a block.

Isn't that Robert Tonyan?

Man, there's not much love for him on this board. I think he's very, very good. I just think that last season he did not get many opportunities. The year before he was lights-out.

texaspackerbacker
05-14-2022, 11:15 AM
That's what I was thinking too.

Upnorth
05-14-2022, 02:01 PM

Man, there's not much love for him on this board. I think he's very, very good. I just think that last season he did not get many opportunities. The year before he was lights-out.

I think he is some where between 2020 and pre injury 2021.

run pMc
05-14-2022, 02:51 PM
I think Tonyan (1) had an unusually fluky good 2020 with catch% and TD%, (2) benefitted from attention Adams, Jones and MVS got, (3) was asked to block a LOT less in 2020 than 2021 because Njiman was a green LT.

I also think he's a strong candidate to start the year on the PUP.
TE is not only a next-year problem, it's a this-year problem. TE's take a while to develop. Rookie TEs rarely make a splash, and barring a trade or FA signing that's what they might be looking at next year if Tonyan plays elsewhere and Lewis retires.

They have a lot of bodies at TEs but nobody who really is a threat IMO. Tonyan is the closest thing but I think he'll need time to recover from the ACL injury.

Joemailman
05-14-2022, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately Tonyan got hurt just as the Packers were starting to unleash him. Had 4 catches for 63 yards and a TD the week before he got hurt. Had 3 catches for 49 yards in the game he got hurt.

Tonyan will be 9 months from injury when training camp starts, 10+ months when the season starts. I doubt very much Packers will put him on PUP to start the season and have him miss the first 6 weeks. I think he could be ready to go by the start of the season.

texaspackerbacker
05-14-2022, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking part of the reason for Tonyan's success was catching some teams by surprise, and when they caught on, he didn't get open quite as much. This year could go either way: good because of fewer options to throw to with Adams gone and he gets more targets OR bad because he gets more attention without the attention that went to Adams.

bobblehead
05-15-2022, 04:45 PM

Very few bigger fans of Big Bob than me but he is no. Keith Jackson

Upnorth
06-28-2022, 05:47 PM
So I heard reports that tonyon is going to be ready week 1. I so hope this isnt another false hope.

Joemailman
06-28-2022, 06:04 PM
So I heard reports that tonyon is going to be ready week 1. I so hope this isnt another false hope.

I expect him to be ready. Not so sure about Kylin Hill. They both got hurt in the same game, but I think Hill's injury was worse.

texaspackerbacker
06-28-2022, 07:45 PM
I hope and think Tonyan will come back as good as before, but I still have bad memories of Jordy Nelson jogging around on the sidelines after his apparent less severe knee injury, and he was never the same when he came back.

MadScientist
06-28-2022, 07:49 PM

At this point in the off season, probably. What were they saying about Z's recovery this time last year? I'm not saying for sure he won't be ready, but when it comes to the off-season, it's good news that attracts the eyeballs.

And here's a tight end that attracts eyeballs:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NY7pllRGb5U/Vb0nYKBL4HI/AAAAAAAAXlE/kXNSg3D122M/s1600/Hot-Model-Danielle-Knudson-10.jpg

RashanGary
06-28-2022, 07:53 PM
I hope and think Tonyan will come back as good as before, but I still have bad memories of Jordy Nelson jogging around on the sidelines after his apparent less severe knee injury, and he was never the same when he came back.

I think Jordy got come back player of the year, the year after his injury.

Upnorth
06-29-2022, 08:38 AM
At this point in the off season, probably. What were they saying about Z's recovery this time last year? I'm not saying for sure he won't be ready, but when it comes to the off-season, it's good news that attracts the eyeballs.

And here's a tight end that attracts eyeballs:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NY7pllRGb5U/Vb0nYKBL4HI/AAAAAAAAXlE/kXNSg3D122M/s1600/Hot-Model-Danielle-Knudson-10.jpg

That's some hard hotting opinbuns right there. You made a great point.

Joemailman
07-05-2022, 04:51 PM
Fluff piece about DeGuara. https://www.packers.com/news/packers-tight-end-josiah-deguara-entering-new-season-in-new-place It does raise a valid point though. For the 1st time in his career, he will have the benefit of a full offseason of preparation. In 2020 there were no offseason workouts, and no preseason games. In 2021 he didn't get full medical medical clearance until the last preseason game dur to an injury in 2020.

This is the year for him to emerge. If he doesn't he'll be seen as JAG and on the roster bubble in the future.

RashanGary
07-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Deguara will be improved. Hes in year 3, healthy, had some time with Rodgers. If youre leaning a little more into the run game In 2022, packages with Deguara make sense.

Fosco33
07-06-2022, 08:26 PM
If Bobby can return to form and catch 11 TDs - I’d resign him to long term deal. Hes decent.

Bretsky
07-06-2022, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Fosco33;1117046]If Bobby can return to form and catch 11 TDs - I

Bretsky
07-06-2022, 11:15 PM
I WILL TRY AGAIN as I'm copying and pasting everything I thought I posted.

I really hope I'm wrong but I considered him kinda a JAG before he broke out that year. It seemed like a lot of those TD's were broken scramble plays. I think he's serviceable though.
I hope the dude comes back and completely proves me wrong. I was hoping the TE would fall to us in round two and we'd go into the season strong there. Of course I didn't know we were going to package both picks because our HOF WR kicked us the the curb and decided he no longer wanted to be a GB Packer.

If all the Rodgers Crap didn't just happen last year, I think we might have dealt with that differently. But given the Erin tactics, it was all too fresh and we probably made the right decision in letting it be settled with peace. Please, we got to keep some pieces that would not be Packers right now had we broken the bank for Adams.

Fritz
07-07-2022, 08:23 AM
I like Tonyan a whole lot more than you do. The guy catches everything and gets open. Has some speed. Best tight end here since Jermichael Finley.

Bretsky
07-07-2022, 09:51 PM
I like Tonyan a whole lot more than you do. The guy catches everything and gets open. Has some speed. Best tight end here since Jermichael Finley.

I would argue sayin best TE since Finley really means next to nothing....who else has their been ?

run pMc
07-08-2022, 05:06 PM
[/B]

I would argue sayin best TE since Finley really means next to nothing....who else has their been ?

Jared Cook? Martellus Bennett quit on them. Jimmy Graham was washed up.

I've come around to thinking that TE is a spot where there are only a few very good ones and then a whole bunch of JAG types. The really good ones are overpriced and for the production you can get much cheaper WRs. What you don't get is the ability to run or pass from same formation if your TE can both block and catch (in-his-prime Gronk, Kittle) which can be important for some offenses like MLF, so maybe that explains the R3 picks on Jace and Josiah.

I'm fine with them getting a guy off the street who's a good athlete and hard worker to learn (a la Tonyan, Dafney). I just don't think it's a position worth putting a lot of draft capital/FA money into because the upside is rarely there.