PDA

View Full Version : GO FOR IT!!!

bobblehead
06-26-2022, 10:31 AM
One of the big critiques of TT was that he wasn't willing to sign FAs. He just wouldn't go for it. So naturally everyone was thrilled when Gutes took the reigns and immediately signed 4 marquee FAs.

Fast forward to present day and the packers have $17 milliion in dead cap money from those signings and no Owl to show for it. 2 of the 4 are still with the team (One restructured his deal because he underperformed).

So I ask you this. Was it worth it to go for it? Should Gutes have maintained discipline and paid as he went which might have freed up the cap room for Allen Robinson this year? Or did he do it right?

Personally I am of the belief that Adams pretty much saved him from himself. It forced him to free up some space this year that can be used or carried forward (against the massive dead cap hit set in 2023). It gave us some valuable picks to get players on first year contracts. It minimized the damage of releasing another 2 players to pay him. In effect we got 2 picks and 2 players for Adams imo.

texaspackerbacker
06-26-2022, 10:46 AM
And I thought ol' wist had gone away for good hahahahaha. About all I can say is 13-3, 13-3, and 13-4 the past three years - and a strong likelihood of even better this year.

MadScientist
06-26-2022, 10:57 AM
Th signed some critical vets early in his tenure. Woods on being the most notable. 25 M in dead cap is bad, but sometimes happens. It can happen even when resigning their own players.

I'm not as Pollyanna as Tex because I have no faith in the receivers.

bobblehead
06-26-2022, 11:21 AM
And I thought ol' wist had gone away for good hahahahaha. About all I can say is 13-3, 13-3, and 13-4 the past three years - and a strong likelihood of even better this year.

Overall I'm pretty happy with Gutes. I have said so, even after initially not liking so many things he did. I'm even thrilled with the 13 win seasons with a huge let down in the playoffs. I still blame the refs for fucking us because Tom Brady hires a PI to collect dirt on them, not Gutes.

I have really liked him churning the bottom of the roster until he finds contributors. He has drafted exceptionally well in the first few rounds. I'm not wisting it up here, I'm asking for what Rats think now, several years later. Some will say no Owl, not worth it. Some will say great run without an Owl appearance is stll worth it. I lean toward the latter as I understand it takes luck to break through. There is no such thing as gauranteeing an Owl by spending enough capital.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-26-2022, 12:17 PM
Ask the Rams if an NFL team can buy a Super Bowl.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-26-2022, 12:25 PM
And Allen Fucking Robinson?

The Rams paid Ramsey big. They paid Stanford big. They paid Donald big. They paid Kupp big. They traded away a tons of drafts capitals. Using Bobble’s logic, then the Rams should be fucking Hades in a cap hell right now. Yet, defying Bobble’s logic, Allen Fucking Robinson is currently a Ram.

Bobble is plenty smart. However, when the subject pertains to the NFL salary cap, no offense, but Bobble is no smarter than Tony O’Day.

bobblehead
06-27-2022, 12:47 AM
Ask the Rams if an NFL team can buy a Super Bowl.

So you think everytime a team sells out the future they win an owl? You think if the packers just spend a little more money and trade a few more picks it locks in the Lombardi. Why doesn't every owner do that?

bobblehead
06-27-2022, 12:49 AM
And Allen Fucking Robinson?

The Rams paid Ramsey big. They paid Stanford big. They paid Donald big. They paid Kupp big. They traded away a tons of drafts capitals. Using Bobble’s logic, then the Rams should be fucking Hades in a cap hell right now. Yet, defying Bobble’s logic, Allen Fucking Robinson is currently a Ram.

Bobble is plenty smart. However, when the subject pertains to the NFL salary cap, no offense, but Bobble is no smarter than Tony O’Day.

None taken. The rams absolutely sold out, won it and are scrambling to hold onto that roster. My hunch is they won't win 12 games this year or win an Owl. Cuz like 31 other teams are trying to win it as well. The rams were only a play or 2 from not even making the owl much less win it.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-27-2022, 01:24 AM
Why doesn't every owner do that?

Why? Well, let’s just put it this way: an NFL owner is a pig. Not every owner’s wife is a Walmart heiress. Profit is still the name of the game in the NFL. Labor costs fuck with the pig’s profit margin.

In the infamous 69ers game, where the D played lights out and Adams was doubled teamed harder than Alexis Adams in a Boy-Boy-Girl scene and Lazard was single-handily blanketed like the UDFA he is, the Packers coulda use OBJ. Damn right, Packers shoulda spent more frogskins on players, especially OBJ.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-27-2022, 01:28 AM
None taken. The rams absolutely sold out, won it and are scrambling to hold onto that roster. My hunch is they won't win 12 games this year or win an Owl. Cuz like 31 other teams are trying to win it as well. The rams were only a play or 2 from not even making the owl much less win it.

And they won it. As some famous Italian coach once said, winning ain’t everything; it’s the only fucking thing.

call_me_ishmael
06-27-2022, 01:46 AM
Why would anyone think the team that has been in the big game or knocking on the door the past 5 years with an ass QB that suddenly has a great QB wouldn't be right there in the thick of things? Balls need to bounce right to get to the big game (Stafford threw a pick that San Fran dropped after all in NFCC) but I have little doubt LAR will be right there and contending again.

If I had Aaron Donald or Aaron Rodgers I'd do what the Rams are doing too. They have more recent SB appearances than the Packers.

RashanGary
06-27-2022, 11:24 AM
Teams that seem to spend more money arent actually spending more money. They spend more now but have to cut costs later. The salary cap insures teams make profit. Thats why it exists.

texaspackerbacker
06-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Fuck the damned Super Bowl. I don't even watch it if the Packers aren't in it. If we are and we win, fine, one big happy day, and then on to preparing for next year. If we are in it and lose, one big unhappy day, then forget it and move on to next season. Give me 13 or 14 excellent happy days consistently season after season, and I'll take that anytime.

Fritz
06-27-2022, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Anti-Polar Bear;1116651]Why? Well, let

Fritz
06-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Why? Well, let’s just put it this way: an NFL owner is a pig. Not every owner’s wife is a Walmart heiress. Profit is still the name of the game in the NFL. Labor costs fuck with the pig’s profit margin.

In the infamous 69ers game, where the D played lights out and Adams was doubled teamed harder than Alexis Adams in a Boy-Boy-Girl scene and Lazard was single-handily blanketed like the UDFA he is, the Packers coulda use OBJ. Damn right, Packers shoulda spent more frogskins on players, especially OBJ.

What bothers me most about this post is that I know who Alexis Adams is.

Joemailman
06-27-2022, 06:01 PM

Does she know Fritz?

bobblehead
06-28-2022, 09:37 AM

I had to google it.....and now I hope my wife doesn't look through my search history.