PDA

View Full Version : Official 2022 Training Camp Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2022, 10:24 AM
What makes you think the Rodgers era is gonna end soon? I have to admit, even 5 or 6 years is sooner than I'd like, but whatever. If I'm the only one willing to say I think he will play at very least 3 more, probably 4 or 5, maybe even 6 or more, then so be it. Ya'all just remember to give me the credit when it happens hahahaha.

As for Love, I'm happy he's doing better - Rodgers himself seems to be praising him or at least absolving him of blame. The three picks weren't his only bad throws, though, and there was too much poor judgment too. If you want a Kirk Cousins type, that's his future IMO. Just the same, I tend to think they will pick up his 5th year option and maybe even sign him to an extension while the market is still low on him. He's an adequate back up, and manipulating the cap wouldn't be hard to make it work. And who knows, if he's still around 5 or 6 years from now, he might be the next Packer QB. I'll put the odds of that at about 30/70, but I'll put the chances of picking up his option at about 50/50.

I always thought he was a wasted pick, as we could have gotten somebody as good several years later or maybe developed a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder to be as good. But personnel-wise, we're doing just fine without that 1st and 4th round pick.

So I'll just sit firmly on the fence on this topic.

George Cumby
08-18-2022, 10:42 AM
You might have described a number of posters here. ;)

That's the joke.

The self-deprecating joke.

RashanGary
08-18-2022, 04:49 PM
Just listened to the coordinators at packers dot com. Stenno said Hansen is having a hell of a camp and he’s excited about him. That’s good to hear. Injuries happen and we don’t know if Jenkins will play in week 1. We don’t know if Bakh will ever be back. We sort of desperately need an interior guy who we can count on to play now. And it looks like we have him.

Barry was really fun to listen to. He’s not counting his chickens, but shit, he sure does sound confident in his guys. He said they have 4 legit DL. So I’m assuming that’s the vets and Wyatt. I was getting my hopes up with Slaton being a 5th legit guy, but I don’t know. Still, 4 is nice. Without injuries, it’s all you need. I cant wait to see the defense play. It’s been a while since we could truly win on defense. 2019 we did in the beginning of the year. And this defense looks clearly better. It’s gonna be fun! Cousins ain’t gonna have time to hit his guys. It’s gonna be mean.

I hope savage comes back soon. That’s the finishing touch.

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Seems like it's about time to have a thread for predicting the 53 man roster - before it gets too obvious.

smuggler
08-18-2022, 07:45 PM
I can understand not agreeing with holding a meeting to talk about performance. That's personal style and it's not clear-cut what manner of leadership style is most effective in the NFL biz or with the individuals in the WR room.

What does not make sense is claiming a person taking that approach is failing as a leader. He saw a problem. He took action and communicated his concerns. Perhaps there will be results.

Bretsky, what the hell, man?

JH, you should rename yourself JoeJohnson.

RashanGary
08-18-2022, 08:09 PM
I can understand not agreeing with holding a meeting to talk about performance. That's personal style and it's not clear-cut what manner of leadership style is most effective in the NFL biz or with the individuals in the WR room.

What does not make sense is claiming a person taking that approach is failing as a leader. He saw a problem. He took action and communicated his concerns. Perhaps there will be results.

Bretsky, what the hell, man?

JH, you should rename yourself JoeJohnson.

Why Joe Johnson??

smuggler
08-18-2022, 08:36 PM
Rashan Gary actually panned out. I was just grasping for another injury-plagued disappointment.

Tony Oday
08-19-2022, 08:38 AM
Love is trash, couldn't backup a qb in the CFL.

run pMc
08-19-2022, 09:03 AM
I agree with JH that the WRs are just learning the plays and there isn't as much value in OTAs.
As for the things Rodgers said to the media, it's probably nothing they haven't heard from their agents, coaches, etc. or already knew -- if you don't run the routes correctly or catch the ball you aren't going to play.
That they had a meeting the next morning and then went on the field and played better says they got the message.

Rookies are going to screw up, that's a given. They will need Watson and Doubs (and probably Toure) to develop this year and next, and if Rodgers isn't being a dick about saying so then I don't see a problem.
I thought he was much harder on the last batch of rookies (J'Mon, EQ and MVS).

bobblehead
08-19-2022, 09:03 AM
I see that Rashan Gary, our poster, has admitted he might've spoken too soon on whetherJordan Love will be a starting NFL QB. Rashan - I appreciate your willingness to admit you might've jumped the gun on Love and will re-assess. Me, I prefer to stick with my initial uninformed assessment and keep hammering on it until it's completely obvious I was wrong, then pretend I liked the guy all along and hope nobody bothers to go back and look at my posting history.

JH isn't the first man to be wrong about Love. Most of us have to make several embarrassing mistakes and go through a lot of heart ache before we admit it....sometimes a costly divorce even.

bobblehead
08-19-2022, 09:09 AM
QBs have a high bust rate (as do many draft picks) but it's worth it to keep looking -- if you hit on one it's incredibly valuable. Wolf and TT had plenty of head scratchers, so I just shrug and move on while cheering for GB (and Love) to succeed.

Just to dial in on this part of the post. Remember TT drafted Brohm in the 2nd as well trying to be sure he had the successor to Favre in place. Remember he did this something like 3 years after we drafted Rodgers. Many wailed that this proved Rodgers was/would be an epic bust and the worst thing TT ever did as GM....wasting a 1st and now a 2nd while we had Brent and should be mortgaging the future to win it all RIGHT NOW!!!!

bobblehead
08-19-2022, 09:11 AM
What makes you think the Rodgers era is gonna end soon?.....If I'm the only one willing to say I think he will play at very least 3 more, probably 4 or 5, maybe even 6

For me it was when Rodgers laughed and scoffed, then rebuked the idea that he would play 5 more years.

RashanGary
08-19-2022, 09:17 AM
Rodgers should come back next year. The OL will be more solidified. The WRs will be better. Gute has the team set up pretty well for a couple years.

RashanGary
08-19-2022, 09:23 AM
Rodgers lighting a fire under the WRs is a good thing. They’re at a point in their career where there is a lot to learn. Keeping a fire kindled on the growth process is a good thing. We are going to need Doubs and Watson this year. There will be injuries.

Joemailman
08-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Rodgers should come back next year. The OL will be more solidified. The WRs will be better. Gute has the team set up pretty well for a couple years.

If Doubs and Watson are as good as we hope, I think it's highly unlikely Rodgers would retire. If they can keep Lazard here, he could once again have one of the better group of WR's to throw to.

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2022, 12:29 PM
Actually, what he "laughed and scoffed" at was when he was asked if he could see himself playing until 45 like Brady. Don't rule it out, though. I'm 100% sure he'd have the capability, barring serious injury, and as competitive as he seems to be, it's hard to believe he'd quit while he could still play at near the top of his game.

True about him "lighting a fire under the WRs" being a good thing.

Fritz
08-19-2022, 12:31 PM
I think his burning desire to find the meaning of life will push him out of football after next season. Like George Harrison, he'll end up studying at the foot of the Dali Llama.

run pMc
08-20-2022, 10:52 AM
The way he talks, I think Rodgers has entered the same "annually mulling retirement" phase Bert Farve did, only he's not making it a public spectacle. For all the weird shit he says and does, at least we can be thankful for that lol.

He did scoff at the idea of playing to 45 - which would be 6 years - the outer range of Tex's hopes. He also described his new contract as essentially a year-to-year deal, which tells me he'll play about 3 more years, but if they win the SB he's done. He wants to go out on top.

bobblehead
08-21-2022, 01:36 AM
Actually, what he "laughed and scoffed" at was when he was asked if he could see himself playing until 45 like Brady. Don't rule it out, though. I'm 100% sure he'd have the capability, barring serious injury, and as competitive as he seems to be, it's hard to believe he'd quit while he could still play at near the top of his game.

True about him "lighting a fire under the WRs" being a good thing.

“No, I don’t”, said Rodgers. “But Happy Birthday, Tom”.

I think he probably can if he wanted to. Every indication he has given the last few years suggests the end is near. I hope he stays fired up and plays 5 years, but he himself is saying no.

Joemailman
08-21-2022, 01:53 PM
Bakhtiari off PUP list.

"Hes only going to do individual [drills]," LaFleur said before practice. "So you guys can kind of temper the expectations because I know theres going to be a bunch of questions now. Itll just be individual. Its just the next step, but we are excited to get him out there on the grass. Well take it one day at a time."

run pMc
08-21-2022, 02:06 PM
A few days ago he was apparently doing the same rehab drills Elgton Jenkins was, so I figured it might happen. They have about 3 weeks to get them both ready for Minnesota, but even if they get one of them back for Week 1 that's a big deal for the OL -- they are the two best OL and it bumps #6 & 7 off the starting line.
I'd rather those guys at OT squaring off against Danielle Hunter and ZaDarius Smith than say, Newman.

Joemailman
08-21-2022, 02:42 PM
I actually think getting Jenkins back might be more important than getting Bakhtiari back. Reason being I feel better about Yosh at LT than I do about Newman or Tom at RT. Although Tom might change my mind.

Joemailman
08-21-2022, 07:41 PM
He lives!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1561408318517690375

smuggler
08-22-2022, 06:49 AM
That gets my piss hot.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-22-2022, 10:22 AM
He lives!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1561408318517690375

I should be debunking Tex in FYI. Unfortunately, lacking smart brain cells at the moment.

After watching your link, just wanna chime in and say that I am surprised Bobble is not digging Caleb Jones, the rookie free agent Yokozuna.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2022, 10:26 AM
Good somebody noticed that guy. I'd take him over several of the O Linemen who probably will make the team.

Your "brain cells" are occasionally smart here, but hardly ever smart there hahahaha.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-22-2022, 10:33 AM
Good somebody noticed that guy. I'd take him over several of the O Linemen who probably will make the team.

Your "brain cells" are occasionally smart here, but hardly ever smart there hahahaha.

6-9 350 lbs bull who can run. I say put C-Jones at fullback and let him lead block for A-Jones. C-Jones looked pretty nice pancaking a Saint pass rusher the other day.

bobblehead
08-22-2022, 10:46 AM
I should be debunking Tex in FYI. Unfortunately, lacking smart brain cells at the moment.

After watching your link, just wanna chime in and say that I am surprised Bobble is not digging Caleb Jones, the rookie free agent Yokozuna.

I'll be honest, he wasn't even a blip on my radar until the last 5 days. Now that some places are talking about him and posting some film I am going to rewatch the last game and focus on him a bit.

Just from the clips, what impresses me about his is that he uses his length in pass pro and then can switch to using his massive frame in the run game. Not many guys over 6'5 can do that to be honest. The biggest OT in the game right now are Calais Campbell and Kolten Miller to my knowledge. Definitely the best known and most successful. Miller might be the best comp as he does both well also. He has a future and to be honest I think they keep him on the 53 or else someone will nab him just based on what I saw.

He is nothing like Yosh (massive human who gets the most out of it vs. ridiculous athlete who is learning to use it), but the career trajectory could end up similar. Give Jones a year of learning and he can be a player.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2022, 11:28 AM
6-9 350 lbs bull who can run. I say put C-Jones at fullback and let him lead block for A-Jones. C-Jones looked pretty nice pancaking a Saint pass rusher the other day.

hahahaha Call him the Walk In Freezer (or WIF - which he might do on a lot of blocks).

Teamcheez1
08-22-2022, 04:23 PM
Saw this comment about Amari Rodgers at Acme Packing Company:

"...receiver Amari Rodgers, who is teetering closer to a roster lock with every preseason performance, is getting carries out of the backfield in practice. Rodgers was used as a live motion player, often out of the backfield, five times against the Saints in the first half after not being featured in that package in the Packers’ preseason opener against the San Francisco 49ers."

What do the Packers see that I don't? Maybe his role is to step in for Randall Cobb when injured.

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 04:54 PM
I just think he's a multi-role guy. Slot receiver/jet sweep/returner.

He doesn't look very good at creating separation, but he's pretty good with the ball in his hands.

RashanGary
08-22-2022, 05:54 PM
JJ Enagbare is a fun one to watch. His college tape is reminiscent of Zadarius Smith. He has a way of really swiping right past OL and getting sacks.

Even though his college rush tape was like watching Zadarius, I questioned his size. 6-4 260 compared to Z at 275. They might have a similar play style but Z being so much bigger, theres the concern that Enagbare would get swallowed up in the NFL.

But so far so good. There has been some highlight reel pass rushes from Enagbare so far this preseason. Id like to see him against the 1

RashanGary
08-22-2022, 05:59 PM
Check this out

https://twitter.com/pff_anthony/status/1560985276629000192?s=21&t=ThIaKNBbWjJjwIrIwW8iVg

RashanGary
08-22-2022, 08:20 PM
12 said something interesting today. He started off saying we were 3 deep at corner and then corrected himself. He said we might be 4 or 5 deep with quality NFL corners. That’s good news. Who are those 4th and 5th guys? The TV copy doesn’t exactly give a great look at corner play.

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 08:41 PM
Jean-Charles and Nixon would figure to be 4 and 5. Kiondre Thomas has been playing well.

George Cumby
08-22-2022, 08:51 PM
Check this out

https://twitter.com/pff_anthony/status/1560985276629000192?s=21&t=ThIaKNBbWjJjwIrIwW8iVg

That was nifty AF.

RashanGary
08-22-2022, 08:57 PM
Jean-Charles and Nixon would figure to be 4 and 5. Kiondre Thomas has been playing well.

I thought Nixon was a special teams guy who never did much on defense. Maybe that Kiondre Thomas is legit. Or maybe Rodgers said 4 or 5 but meant 4. I don’t know. Shemar seemed on top of it in the games. Hes competitive.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2022, 09:28 PM
All three of those guys have played well in the preseason games. SJC has apparently has made a nice second year leap.

Fritz
08-23-2022, 07:29 AM

Rico Gafford started out gangbusters- I haven’t heard much about him lately, though, so I wonder if he faded.

run pMc
08-23-2022, 09:21 AM
I didn't like what I saw of SJC last year, he's much better this year.
Gafford has faded somewhat. Kiondre Thomas has picked it up a bit. SJC and Nixon are near-locks to make it as CBs 4 & 5 for their play on D and ST.

That Enagbare rush made me lol with the duck and slide. I think he's a lock at this point as OLB3 or 4 at worst. A 260 pound OLB is not undersized, 240 would be though. I think Pettine (and Berry) both like the OLBs a little bigger to hold up in the run game and set the edge. Bigger OLBs are also more likely to bull rush, which is something Enagbare can do. Dude is strong and has really long arms.

Fritz
08-23-2022, 10:37 AM
Conversely, Tariq Carpenter - a physical specimen - appears to be struggling to make the team, even as a ST guy. I think maybe he needs a year of seasoning on the PS to get his sea legs.

run pMc
08-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Conversely, Tariq Carpenter - a physical specimen - appears to be struggling to make the team, even as a ST guy. I think maybe he needs a year of seasoning on the PS to get his sea legs.

Agree. Problem is, if you can't make the Packers ST, how good are you?
All the same, I'm rooting for the kid. Gute likes his R7 picks, but this year he might not roster a single one from this year's draft. I think 2-3 of them get PS spots though.

Really like Toure. I don't think he makes the 53 but I hope he makes the PS.

Sparkey
08-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Cole Van Lanen traded to Jags for undisclosed draft choice.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 04:55 PM
7th round pick for Van Lanen

Fritz
08-24-2022, 09:55 AM
Wow. Getting a pick for a guy you probably would've had to cut is an accomplishment.

Teamcheez1
08-24-2022, 01:32 PM
Wow. Getting a pick for a guy you probably would've had to cut is an accomplishment.

Look around the league at the number of OL injuries and shaky rosters. I will not be surprised if any of the promising OL we have get scooped up immediately if cut.

bobblehead
08-25-2022, 02:28 PM

Yep...and we still have the top 10 guys. I saw an article that said Gutes never kept 10. I just can't see who to cut. It almost has to be Hansen. Or Caleb Jones will suffer a mysterious injury tonight and be placed on the IR. What are the odds we end up trading a DL for a pick as well. The other Slayton has balled out during garbage time. We kinda have 5 guys locked in. I always believed you win in the trenches, and this team is stacked to do just that. Guys like Campbell look great when they stay clean. Guys like Goodson look great when they get 4 yards untouched.

Joemailman
08-25-2022, 02:43 PM
What was odd about what Jax did was that if Packers cut CVL, they had 1st pick on the waiver wire. Maybe they did the trade so they would have him under contract for 3 more years. Or maybe they thought Packers might keep him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2022, 02:45 PM
What was odd about what Jax did was that if Packers cut CVL, they had 1st pick on the waiver wire. Maybe they did the trade so they would have him under contract for 3 more years. Or maybe they thought Packers might keep him.

Or they thought another team would trade for him.

smuggler
08-25-2022, 02:47 PM
His contract would've been on waivers along with him, so they have all three years trade or waivers. So maybe not that rationale.

Joemailman
08-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Tom Silverstein

#Packers practice: S Darnell Savage, LT David Bakhtiari and S Dallin Leavitt are back for work in pads. Elgton Jenkins and TE Nate Becker arent here. K Mason Crosby, DL Akiel Byers (toe), S Innis Gaines (hamstring), TE Alize Mack (unknown) are with rehab group.

Jenkin' absence reportedly not knee related.

Sparkey
08-28-2022, 08:37 PM
TY Summers released.

Joemailman
08-29-2022, 01:31 PM
Jenkins and Bakhtiari both practicing.

bobblehead
08-29-2022, 10:24 PM
Jenkins and Bakhtiari both practicing.

I think they are going to start Bak week 1 with the attitude if the knee ain't ready, it never will be.

Teamcheez1
08-30-2022, 08:12 AM
I think they are going to start Bak week 1 with the attitude if the knee ain't ready, it never will be.

At $20M+ salary, if Bak doesn't return to Pro Bowl form, he won't be on this team after this season.

run pMc
08-30-2022, 08:59 AM
Depends on if they want them to play on the Minny turf, or give them an extra week before playing da Bears.
Have they only done individual drills or actually played with the line in live drills? That might tell us something too.

Either way, that neither is on PUP tells me they expect them to play within the first 4 games. Getting two players of their talent is big for the OL and the offense in general -- will help the run game and also buy Rodgers that extra half second to scan the field.

Joemailman
09-02-2022, 09:46 PM
Don't think training camp looks much like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jILW8xFJI

Anti-Polar Bear
09-02-2022, 11:26 PM
Don't think training camp looks much like this:
]

I have not seen that many white guys on a football team since I attended a South Dakota State practice to scout Trey Lance for “My Mastery Mockery of a Draft.” What a sight to behold. I saw multiple white RBs. Hell, even the corners were as white as the snow of Greenland.

Joemailman
09-02-2022, 11:54 PM
I have not seen that many white guys on a football team since I attended a South Dakota State practice to scout Trey Lance for “My Mastery Mockery of a Draft.” What a sight to behold. I saw multiple white RBs. Hell, even the corners were as white as the snow of Greenland.

Why were you at South Dakota St.? Trey Lance played for North Dakota St.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2022, 10:01 AM
There aren’t any white CBs at NDSU, but maybe there were some at SDSU while you were there scouting Trey Lance after he transferred.

run pMc
09-03-2022, 01:35 PM
I just assumed that was APB being funny.

Sparkey
09-03-2022, 04:19 PM
I just assumed that was APB being funny.

Or at least trying....

bobblehead
09-04-2022, 10:03 AM

Does it bother you that the best at every skill position in the NFL is a white guy??

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2022, 01:59 PM
What white RB or WR might you be referring to? Last I heard, they along with QB were considered the "skill positions".

Bretsky
09-04-2022, 04:03 PM
What white RB or WR might you be referring to? Last I heard, they along with QB were considered the "skill positions".

Assuming the answer is Mccaffrey and Kopp

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2022, 04:27 PM
I doubt McCaffrey makes the top five. Kupp is way short of the best also.

Joemailman
09-04-2022, 04:35 PM
I doubt McCaffrey makes the top five. Kupp is way short of the best also.

Then how did Kupp outperform Adams last year? Did he have a better QB?

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2022, 04:47 PM
If you were building a team, would you choose Kupp as your top WR or even top 2 or 3?

Sparkey
09-04-2022, 08:42 PM
2021 - Cooper Kupp
LA
145 - receptions
1,947 - yards
13.4 - ave
16 - td

Why wouldn't you want him as a 1 or 2 ?

Bretsky
09-04-2022, 08:58 PM
If you were building a team, would you choose Kupp as your top WR or even top 2 or 3?

Dude may be the best route runner in the NFL; with that being said....your question

My top 3 would be, in no committed order.....Kopp, Jefferson, and Chase

Bretsky
09-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Then how did Kupp outperform Adams last year? Did he have a better QB?

this was a crafty Zing...lol

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2022, 10:36 PM
The man said the skill positions. Even if you have a case for Kupp - which I still don't buy, McCaffrey sure ain't the top RB, probably not top five, maybe not even top ten.

Myself, I'd put Chase and Jefferson ahead of Kupp as well as Adams, Lamb, Hill, and (for you, APB), Metcalf.

Bretsky
09-04-2022, 10:59 PM
The man said the skill positions. Even if you have a case for Kupp - which I still don't buy, McCaffrey sure ain't the top RB, probably not top five, maybe not even top ten.

Myself, I'd put Chase and Jefferson ahead of Kupp as well as Adams, Lamb, Hill, and (for you, APB), Metcalf.

Metcalf over Cupp ? Credibility gone there :)

CMC, when healthy, is a top 5 RB. He is the whole package as a receiver and a runner.

run pMc
09-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Kupp was arguably the best WR last year. A case could be made for Adams as well. There aren't many WRs I'd take over Kupp if starting a team this year, although the rookie contracts of Chase and Jefferson would certainly be nice.
LOL No to Lamb and Metcalf over Kupp. They are good, but they weren't even among the top 10 WRs in either Rec, Yards or TDs last year. Cooper Kupp triple crowned that shit by a country mile.

I'd take Stefon Diggs over Metcalf.
I suppose if you wanted to get wild you could make an argument for Tyler Lockett over Metcalf. Hard to say anymore, Russ liked Lockett but with Wilson gone to Denver the Seahawks offense could really stink.

McCaffrey was the best RB in 2019. Riverboat Ron and Norv Turner basically ran everything through him and since then he's been hurt. Make me wonder if those 400+ touches he got that season broke him, but you never know.
Jonathon Taylor is the best in the NFL right now, Joe Mixon was pretty good last year too.

bobblehead
09-05-2022, 02:09 PM

If you follow fantasy football, CM3 is by far, hands down the most productive RB in the league when he is on the field. His PPG average over the last 3 years is 29.04 compared to the second best Alvin Kamara at 22.84 He is more than 27% better than the next closest guy. Its not even a contest.

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2022, 06:05 PM
I haven't cared about fantasy football teams for quite a few years now. Regarding RB quality, the Packers alone have two that are better than McCaffrey. I doubt he is even in the top ten.

RashanGary
09-05-2022, 06:25 PM
Metcalf over Cupp ? Credibility gone there :)

CMC, when healthy, is a top 5 RB. He is the whole package as a receiver and a runner.

McCaffrey is a great player. He’s smallish and always injured so might not have the career his talent warrants. But he’s a hell of a player. Agree on Kupp too. He’s a great player.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2022, 09:09 PM
Real football isn't fantasy football. I don't think CM3 wins you any games. I'd rather have Jonathan Taylor by a wide margin in real football.

SudsMcBucky
09-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Does it bother you that the best at every skill position in the NFL is a white guy??

Jonathan Taylor ain't white the last I saw.

bobblehead
09-06-2022, 12:39 PM
I haven't cared about fantasy football teams for quite a few years now. Regarding RB quality, the Packers alone have two that are better than McCaffrey. I doubt he is even in the top ten.

You destroy any credibility you might have with hot takes like this

bobblehead
09-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Real football isn't fantasy football. I don't think CM3 wins you any games. I'd rather have Jonathan Taylor by a wide margin in real football.

Not knocking taylor, but when they survey talent evaluators McCaffrey is always consensus #1

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2022, 01:39 PM
You seriously don't think Aaron Jones and maybe Dillon too are better than McCaffrey?

I can easily name 8 or 9 better RBs than McCaffrey: Taylor, Jones, Cook, Henry, Pollard, Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Harris, Kamara, and a couple other possibles too.

run pMc
09-06-2022, 02:50 PM
I think the offensive scheme matters a little bit, I'd be tempted to take McCaffrey over Aaron Jones. McCaffrey is as good a runner and a better receiver. That's if both were healthy; durability is a concern for both of them.
McCaffrey's contract is ugly though, I wouldn't want that.

Pollard? He's a good player and a quality backup who can step in and start in a pinch, but if you think he's top 10, that's a bad case of location bias there. How is Tony Pollard better than Josh Jacobs, Devin Singletary, or even a very good Antonio Gibson?

...and no, Dillon is not better than McCaffrey. Maybe by end of season that changes, but right now I'd say no.

Age and tread on the tires matters; I wonder if guys like Zeke, Henry, and McCaffrey are nearing that point on their odometers. If McCaffrey can't stay healthy this year we'll know. He's only 26.
I think the bell-cow RB is mostly dead. It boggles my mind when some of these coaches just ride these players for 350+ touches when all it does is shorten a lot of their careers. That "curse of 370" is real -- I don't know how Eddie George survived Jeff Fisher at TEN.

Fritz
09-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Eddie George just got abused.

Ezekiel Elliott in Dallas, too, at least until MM came on board. I don't know if Mike runs him a lot but I doubt it, given his play-calling in GB.

I think too about a guy like Earl Campbell, who in his prime, in my opinion, was as good as, or at least nearly as good as, Jim Brown. Campbell was a damn tank. I don't recall him catching many passes, but I don't think they asked him too. But as a pure running back, wow. Impressive. He was like the Lawrence Taylor of running backs.

RashanGary
09-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Eddie George just got abused.

Ezekiel Elliott in Dallas, too, at least until MM came on board. I don't know if Mike runs him a lot but I doubt it, given his play-calling in GB.

I think too about a guy like Earl Campbell, who in his prime, in my opinion, was as good as, or at least nearly as good as, Jim Brown. Campbell was a damn tank. I don't recall him catching many passes, but I don't think they asked him too. But as a pure running back, wow. Impressive. He was like the Lawrence Taylor of running backs.

I never got to see Earl Campbell. I’ve watched some highlights tho. It’s always fun to hear you “old timers” talk about the previous generations. In a couple years I’ll be an old timer, talking about Brett Favre and Reggie White and Randy Moss.