PDA

View Full Version : Garoppolo

Guiness
08-15-2022, 11:06 AM
Dude rightfully been in the news an awful lot lately!

Quite the rumour coming out that he ghosted the team after getting his big contract 4 years ago. Story goes that he regularly pulls a vanishing act, and has been doing that since he signed in 2018

“Once he left that press conference, nobody heard from him for weeks and weeks,” recalled one member of that coaching staff, according to Silver. “He didn’t return calls, he didn’t return texts — he basically just vanished. And we were looking at each other going, ‘What just happened?’”

Not what you want from the starting QB that just signed what was at the time the highest value per year contract in the NFL!

Aside from that, I think the current situation will push players and agents to push for more rolling guarantees on long term contracts. I can't believe it costs the team nothing to hold onto him as long as they have, and I think as long as they cut him before they take the field for their opener, they owe him nothing more!

49ers have known since January he was not part of their plans and wouldn't be on the team for 2022. If his contract had a trigger to guarantee his annual salary early in the league year, he would've hit the open market then instead of this silly dance that likely results in signing a backup deal. That won't be lost on others in future negotiations.

Guiness
08-15-2022, 11:11 AM
from cbs sports

If released healthy, the 49ers would pick up $25.55 million of cap space. Garoppolo would need to be gone by the regular season opener on Sept. 11 at the latest
he's cleared for full practice, so he's healthy

Fritz
08-17-2022, 09:54 AM
from cbs sports

he's cleared for full practice, so he's healthy

I'm a little behind on all this - so he's holding out? Are the Niners moving to Trey Lance and Jeanine is pissed? Or is it something else?

Joemailman
08-17-2022, 10:19 AM
I'm a little behind on all this - so he's holding out? Are the Niners moving to Trey Lance and Jeanine is pissed? Or is it something else?

Lance is the starter. 49ers save 25 million on the salary cap by cutting or trading Garoppolo. I think it's probably a mutual agreement that he not play in preseason. Garoppolo doesn't want to be there. 49ers don't want to run the risk of him getting injured in preseason game. If that were to happen, nobody will trade for him, and they have to put him on IR and pay his salary.

Fritz
08-17-2022, 10:41 AM
Lance is the starter. 49ers save 25 million on the salary cap by cutting or trading Garoppolo. I think it's probably a mutual agreement that he not play in preseason. Garoppolo doesn't want to be there. 49ers don't want to run the risk of him getting injured in preseason game. If that were to happen, nobody will trade for him, and they have to put him on IR and pay his salary.

It's always a question of how much you can get for a starter who is clearly no longer wanted with his big contract. I wonder who'd be interested and how much he's worth, really.

run pMc
08-17-2022, 12:06 PM
Some team who is willing to take him plus a high draft pick, a la Osweiler a few years back. I mean...is he any better than Trubisky? You aren't taking him and that contract without an incentive.