PDA

View Full Version : Official Take A Stab At The 53 Man Roster Thread

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 10:47 AM
QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (3) A. Jones, Dillon, Goodson
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Am Rodgers, Winfree
TE (4) Lewis, Tonyan, DeGuara, T. Davis
OL (10) Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Runyan, Tom, Bakhtiari, C. Jones, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan
DL (5) Clark, Lowry, Reed, Slaton, Wyatt
OLB (5) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, K. Jones
LB (4) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes
CB (6) Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Thomas
S (4) Savage, Amos, Abernathy, Davis
ST (3) Crosby, O'Donnell, Coco

PUP: Hill

Practice Squad: Danny Etling, Patrick Taylor, Dexter Williams, Ishmael Hyman, Samori Toure, Nate Becker, Cole Van Lanen, Rasheed Walker, Jack Heflin, Chris Slayton, Jonathan Garvin, LaDarius Hamilton Ty Summers, Rico Gafford, Tariq Carpenter, Ramiz Ahmed.

bobblehead
08-22-2022, 10:51 AM
OL (10) Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Runyan, Tom, Bakhtiari, C. Jones, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan
Have we ever kept 10? But to be honest, I can't see cutting any of these guys.

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 10:55 AM
The only reason I'm keeping 10 is because of the uncertainty of whether Bakh and Jenkins can go Week 1. Eventually, either Hanson or Jones will go.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2022, 11:23 AM
Oh, so you finally came through with it same time as I did it hahahahaha. If you can cancel my thread, go ahead and do it.

Gosh, Joe, yours is amazingly close to mine.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2022, 12:49 PM
Have we ever kept 10? But to be honest, I can't see cutting any of these guys.

I'm pretty sure we have. It's rarely 8. I think it's usually 9, but we have kept 10.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2022, 12:52 PM
My prediction would be very close to Joe's prediction. I liked Carpenter in game 1. Was he playing any STs before he got injured? He has the perfect ST build. He's a safety who looks bigger than McDuffie.

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 01:54 PM
Oh, so you finally came through with it same time as I did it hahahahaha. If you can cancel my thread, go ahead and do it.

Gosh, Joe, yours is amazingly close to mine.

I can't delete your thread, but I'll put your prediction in this thread.

I got tired of waiting for somebody else to do it. This is supposed to be predictions, not preferences - I'd prefer a few differences from what I predict.

3 Special Teamers: Coco, ODonnell, Crosby with Ahmed a decent PS guy.

2 QBs: Rodgers and Love with Etling on PS hopefully with the same rules - easy to bring up on game day.

3 RBs: Jones, Dillon, and Goodson. I never thought Hill looked as good as Goodson even before his injury. Maybe they can IR him. Ideally they can IR or PS P. Taylor, but if not, guys like him aren't that hard to find.

4 TEs: Tonyan, Lewis, DeGuara, and T. Davis. Even though Davis has played like crap recently and Cannella has looked good, I don't think they give up on Davis.

7 WRs: Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Toure, Winfree. I think Amari goes.

9 O Linemen: Myers, Runyan, Jenkins, Bakhtiari, Newman, Nijman, Hanson, Rhyan, and Tom. Hopefully Van Lanen, C. Jones, and R. Walker (what ever happened to him) make it to the PS.

6 D Linemen: Clark, Wyatt, Reed, Lowery, T. Slaton, and C. Slayton. IMO Slayton has looked a lot better than Heflin. Hopefully they can keep Heflin and Ford on the PS.

4 ILBs: Campbell, Q. Walker, McDuffie, and Barnes. Wilborn has looked good enough to PS.

5 OLBs: Gary, P. Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, and Garvin. Tough to choose between the last two and Hamilton - none of them really has looked worthy of a roster spot.

6 Corners: Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Jean-Charles, Nixon, and K. Thomas. Probably PS Ento again. I havent seen Nixon do anything, but supposedly he's a keeper. SJC has looked better than last year, and Thomas is a maybe. Gafford has been a disappointment IMO - wheres that speed? Are any of them beyond the top three any good on special teams?

4 Safetys: Amos, Savage, Abernathy, and S. Davis. Give up on or IR Scott. If possible, PS Carpenter. Also PS Cross who they just signed and looked good against the Saints.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2022, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Do you know it the rules are the same - is it as easy as last year to bring up PS players on game day?

Joemailman
08-22-2022, 10:13 PM
Thanks. Do you know it the rules are the same - is it as easy as last year to bring up PS players on game day?

You can elevate a player from the PS to game day roster 3 times.

call_me_ishmael
08-22-2022, 10:26 PM
Mine is Joe's but swap Amari Rodgers with a DL.

Fritz
08-23-2022, 07:33 AM
You never know how good some of these backup DL are when they play in the preseason, but good ones are so hard to find, so you

run pMc
08-23-2022, 09:12 AM
I was skeptical they'd only roster 9 OL, but now I'm on board there. I think both Tex and mailman's are pretty close to each other and what the final 53 will resemble.
There's only a few spots open for competition, and the PS rules give them more flexibility (16 players, can be called up to the 53 up to 3 times, etc.)

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 09:43 AM
Depending on the severity of Leavitt and Scott's injuries, you could see them make the initial 53 and then put on IR afterwards. In that scenario I could see K. Thomas and Abernathy not making the initial 53, but doing so after those guys are IR'd--Thomas and Abernathy or Carpenter.

Fritz
08-23-2022, 10:35 AM
You never know how good some of these backup DL are when they play in the preseason, but good ones are so hard to find, so you

Boy, trying to respond to someone else's post by posting "reply" is becoming an increasing pain in the ass.

What I was trying to say that is that I think DL are at a premium in this league, so I imagine it's harder to stash a promising DL on the practice squad than a promising TE or even offensive lineman. That's my take, anyway. So I wonder if they'll be able to sneak this Chris Slaton (or is he "Slayton"?) onto the practice squad, or as we used to say, the taxi squad. But then again, Jack Heflin looked great last year, and nobody else picked him up. So maybe it's a question of looking great against other teams' second or third stringers. I don't really know.

I think Harv is on top of things, thinking like a GM about injured reserve and who to keep then declare IR and all that. It's complicated. I do wonder if Crosby's injury is concerning, and the new guy - what is his name, even? - is going to be the kicker and they're trying out new guys so they can stash a Covid backup on the PS. I think that one kid, Decker I think is his name, can do double-duty as punter and kicker, so he covers two positions even though he'd only take up one PS spot.

WAIT - I just looked Chris Slayton up on Pro Football Reference - looks like he's knocked around for a bit, since 2019. He may be a late developer, but he's been a seventh round draft pick who was traded then cut then picked up by SF then cut again. So maybe he could get put on the PS. I guess he's been available to everyone, like that eighth grade girl I had a crush on way back when.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Depending on the severity of Leavitt and Scott's injuries, you could see them make the initial 53 and then put on IR afterwards. In that scenario I could see K. Thomas and Abernathy not making the initial 53, but doing so after those guys are IR'd--Thomas and Abernathy or Carpenter.

28 minutes after I posted this, Packers Wire posted this article. :)

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/23/why-injuries-to-vernon-scott-and-dallin-leavitt-will-impact-construction-of-packers-initial-roster/

Fritz
08-23-2022, 11:13 AM
Harv, you're on it.

But here's one section that I either don't understand how things work OR the writers got it wrong: "If a player is placed on the PUP list, they either have to be added to the 53-man roster after Week 4, or put on IR at that time, which again, would end their season. So utilizing the PUP list doesn’t exactly work if Scott and Leavitt are dealing with long-term injuries."

I thought the only way a guy could be put on the PUP list was if he hadn't practiced with the team at all in training camp. I thought once they started practicing, PUP was off the table.

As for the roster, lots of people here seem to have forgotten about Kylin Hill. He's on the PUP, but folks here seem ready to anoint Ty Goodson and Patrick Taylor. But last year Hill was assignment-sure from the get-go, showed good hands, and some skill. He also had some explosive kickoff returns before he got hurt. Don't count him out down the road. I think he's a very good running back.

I am rooting for Toure to make it, but my guess is that they'll try to slide him onto the PS. Looks like there are too many guys ahead of him right now, but with some seasoning, I think he'll be a good NFL receiver.

I also wonder if, given Ty Davis's struggles, they'd cut him and just go with Lewis and Deguara while Tonyan works his way back. That would open up a spot to keep ten offensive linemen.

Other than safety and OLB, this is a pretty deep team. I am more excited about this team than any I've seen in GB in years.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Cole Van Lanen traded to Jacksonville for an undisclosed draft pick.
Kylin Hill to the PUP. He'll miss the first four weeks.
Vernon Scott waived/injured--which is relatively big news. Not sure if they'll IR him or do an injury settlement.

Joemailman
08-23-2022, 12:21 PM
Cole Van Lanen traded to Jacksonville for an undisclosed draft pick.
Kylin Hill to the PUP. He'll miss the first four weeks.
Vernon Scott waived/injured--which is relatively big news. Not sure if they'll IR him or do an injury settlement.

My understanding is he reverts to IR once he has cleared waivers. Then the 2 sides can try to work out an injury settlement. I would think it is to Scott's advantage to work out a settlement so he can play again this year rather than sitting out the whole year on IR.

run pMc
08-23-2022, 01:10 PM
Not surprised about Hill, he doesn't count towards the 53 and when he comes off the PUP after Week 4 they have 3 more weeks to decide if he plays or goes on IR. Basically they get a new RB at midseason. I think Taylor/Goodson/Dexter battle for RB3 will be interesting. Taylor has to be the front runner for now, but I like Goodson. You wonder about the durability of a sub 200 pound RB though. I like Dexter Williams, but he was not good his first time here as a pass blocker and wasn't assignment sure. If the coaches can trust him he's a good scheme fit. If they Taylor I think he looks elsewhere for opportunity.

Van Lanen trade helps solidify the OL roster: Bahk, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Njiman, Newman, Tom, Hanson, Rhyan. Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker to the PS.

Vernon Scott: wonder if he blew out his bicep. Safety depth is really being tested. I expect Davis has the inside track on #3 safety role but unless Abernathy has another good game I'd expect Gute to be scouring the cutdowns for a backup.

That gets them to 80. Next cutdown is to 53. Lots of battles for not many open positions.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 01:54 PM
QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (2) Jones, Dillon
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Winfree
TE (4) Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, T. Davis
OL (10) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Nijman, Tom, Newman, C. Jones, Rhyan
DL (5) Clark, Reed, Lowry, Slaton, Wyatt
LB (5) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes, Wilborn
CB (6) Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Thomas
S (4) Savage, Amos, D. Leavitt, S. Davis

Leavitt put on IR afterwards and either Carpenter or Abernathy called up (if one clears waivers).

At RB I think they'll keep 2 and then try to get 2 of Taylor, Goodson, and Williams on the PS. They can then use the PS rules to cover the third RB until Hill returns.

All of the guys who have taken the bulk of the STs snaps are on this roster. Some are surprises--like Wilborn.

I think the Packers may cut both Slayton and Heflin and hope that one or both makes the PS.

Who knows what will happen with Garvin vs Jones vs Hamilton. Jones seems to have the momentum. Tipa isn't much of an OLB, but he's a core STs player.

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2022, 02:11 PM
Andy Herman had an interesting video on YouTube about a couple of gimmicks or surprising cuts with the idea of keeping players likely to be claimed on waivers and cutting guys who stand a good chance of passing through waivers and ending up on the PS. Harvey, some of what you said sounds like that hahahaha.

These transactions today seem like a lot more good than bad IMO. I wish the Badger, Van Lanen, good luck, but I prefer having Caleb Jones and maybe Rasheed Walker, a couple of road graders. Good riddance to Scott (or do we eventually get him back?). As I have said, I don't think Kylin Hill on his best day - before the injury - is as good as Goodson, maybe not even as good as a healthy Patrick Taylor.

Fritz
08-23-2022, 02:11 PM
QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (2) Jones, Dillon
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Winfree
TE (4) Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, T. Davis
OL (10) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Jenkins, Nijman, Tom, Newman, C. Jones, Rhyan
DL (5) Clark, Reed, Lowry, Slaton, Wyatt
LB (5) Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Barnes, Wilborn
CB (6) Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Jean-Charles, Nixon, Thomas
S (4) Savage, Amos, D. Leavitt, S. Davis

Leavitt put on IR afterwards and either Carpenter or Abernathy called up (if one clears waivers).

At RB I think they'll keep 2 and then try to get 2 of Taylor, Goodson, and Williams on the PS. They can then use the PS rules to cover the third RB until Hill returns.

All of the guys who have taken the bulk of the STs snaps are on this roster. Some are surprises--like Wilborn.

I think the Packers may cut both Slayton and Heflin and hope that one or both makes the PS.

Who knows what will happen with Garvin vs Jones vs Hamilton. Jones seems to have the momentum. Tipa isn't much of an OLB, but he's a core STs player.

You must think they really like Caleb Jones. Maybe they do - I'm not following like I used to. If you're correct on this roster, names like Wilborn and Galaei suggest they really are starting to value special teams.

You're probably right about running back, though I wonder if they'd risk losing Goodson at this point. Though some here have said he's kinda small for a RB.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2022, 03:04 PM
I’m not as high on Goodson as others. I didn’t really like his tape at Iowa. He didn’t break any tackles and he wasn’t good in pass protection.

run pMc
08-23-2022, 05:29 PM
I think Kylin Hill is better than Goodson.

I like Goodson's speed and he looks pretty natural as a receiver. I think of him kind of like Tyler Ervin. He's small and pass pro will be an issue for him.
Taylor is a big dude, has experience in the scheme and can play both ST and pass protect, so he likely gets the nod over Goodson, but they will try to stash somebody on the PS.

Fritz
08-24-2022, 09:52 AM
You both make good points about Goodson. Taylor brings more heft and special teams value, while Goodson's skill set can be replaced by Hill when he returns. In fact, I like Hill better. I think he may be sturdier. So I'd favor keeping Patrick Taylor for now - he really does run hard, that guy. Maybe If Aaron had trusted him more in the playoff game . . .

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2022, 11:21 AM
I think my projection is pretty set--except for these spots:

Caleb Jones vs Chris Slayton vs Jack Heflin - I see these guy not playing a role on offense/defense or special teams, but they've shown enough to make the roster based on potential

Jonathan Garvin vs Ladarius Hamilton vs Kobe Jones

Kiondre Thomas vs Rico Gafford

Tariq Carpenter vs Micah Abernathy for promotion after Levitt is placed on IR
Lastly, I'll be looking at Ray Wilborn's role and production on special teams in this game

Teamcheez1
08-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Found this nugget:

The Packers haven’t lost a player who is among their final cuts since Taysom Hill and Brian Price in 2017.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2022, 01:50 PM
Read a couple of interesting notes:

Garvin hasn’t had a lot of snaps in the preseason, but that might be more of an indication that he’s closer to a roster lock than on the bubble.

Summers has actually had more special teams snaps than Wilborn, so he may still have a spot on teams.

RashanGary
08-24-2022, 06:12 PM
What did you think of Jordan Love, Harv??

Anti-Polar Bear
08-25-2022, 09:49 AM
Did not Crosby miss a FG in the infamous Divisional Game? There is no reason for Crosby to be on the team other than the fact that he is a golf buddy of Butte.

Yes, Cobb being on the roster is another example of nepotism. But name one other bona fide slotman on the roster. Cobb is deserving of a roster spot by virtue of being the best slotman on the team.

Crosby sucks, plain and simple. Keep the Muslim kicker and cut Crosby.

Joemailman
08-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Did not Crosby miss a FG in the infamous Divisional Game? There is no reason for Crosby to be on the team other than the fact that he is a golf buddy of Butte.

Yes, Cobb being on the roster is another example of nepotism. But name one other bona fide slotman on the roster. Cobb is deserving of a roster spot by virtue of being the best slotman on the team.

Crosby sucks, plain and simple. Keep the Muslim kicker and cut Crosby.

The field goal was blocked. If I recall correctly, the NT from Northwestern didn't block anybody. At least he's gone.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-25-2022, 10:16 AM
The field goal was blocked. If I recall correctly, the NT from Northwestern didn't block anybody. At least he's gone.

OIC. I refuse to rewatch Packers losses and could not recall what happened on that FG.

Still, missing 4 or 5 FGs in a game, including 3 or 4 game winners, is a sign your greying kicker is over the hill. There are plenty of young uns on the streets of Baltimore with the Kung Fu to outkick Crosby. The Muslim kicker is one - and he is willing to kick for the minimum-wage (whereas Crosby will be paid, what, $6M?)

Fritz
08-25-2022, 10:25 AM
I thought they'd keep Ramiz Ahmed as insurance - both for Crosby's injury and Covid, and maybe to be next year's kicker. And maybe that's the plan. But it's a bit troubling that they're bringing in a few more kickers to try out. Is this to back up Ahmed while Crosby recuperates? Hard to imagine they're not happy with Ahmed so far - he's nailed pretty much everything so far, from what I've read.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-25-2022, 10:53 AM
I thought they'd keep Ramiz Ahmed as insurance - both for Crosby's injury and Covid, and maybe to be next year's kicker. And maybe that's the plan. But it's a bit troubling that they're bringing in a few more kickers to try out. Is this to back up Ahmed while Crosby recuperates? Hard to imagine they're not happy with Ahmed so far - he's nailed pretty much everything so far, from what I've read.

Ahmed is a poor mans Younghoe Koo.

Notice that Koo has morphed into a pretty good kicker? Not bad for an Asian.

Joemailman
08-25-2022, 11:40 AM

They might be bringing in other kickers figuring that some other team with a bad kicker will sign Ahmed.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2022, 11:42 AM
What did you think of Jordan Love, Harv??

I was slightly encouraged week 1. Footwork. Timing looked better. Last week was the first time I felt he had a chance to be a good starting QB in the NFL. At least, since he was drafted. I actually felt like he was a late first round talent at Draft time.

Watching Rodgers highlights that have been posted on Twitter from his first two years was pretty eye opening. He looked pretty awful.

RashanGary
08-25-2022, 05:05 PM
I was slightly encouraged week 1. Footwork. Timing looked better. Last week was the first time I felt he had a chance to be a good starting QB in the NFL. At least, since he was drafted. I actually felt like he was a late first round talent at Draft time.

Watching Rodgers highlights that have been posted on Twitter from his first two years was pretty eye opening. He looked pretty awful.

I saw those Rodgers lowlights on Twitter too. Crazy how far he’s come. Rodgers isn’t like a Mahommes who just has a knack for being accurate when he’s all over the place. Rodgers took years of engraining those fundamentals before he became accurate.

Love is more in the Rodgers mold. It’s taken him some time to get his fundamentals down. And Clements is drilling it into his head this year to be on point with that.

It does look like Love has a chance. The last couple years I’ve watched him, I’ve always felt like there was some hope. He’s always done just enough that maybe it comes together. This year we needed to see a jump. And we did. I wouldn’t call him a lock to be something, but he’s sure still got a shot. I hope tonight is another step in the right direction. Maybe some of those drops will clean up and he’ll light up the stat sheet tonight. He’s looked darn good throwing down field. I hope to see more of those accurate tougher throws.

smuggler
08-25-2022, 09:59 PM
Won't bother with the full 53, but have a few players to highlight:

Gone:
Juwann Winfree. Not any good. Can't get open and can't fight for balls when he's covered. Special teams sucks either way.

Keep:
Chris Slayton (not T.J. Slaton). Good interior disruptor. Even if he's not a stout run-stuffer, his skills are at a premium in the NFL.
Micah Abernathy. Good instincts and excellent tackler. Sort of the opposite of what we used to covet in safeties from a decade ago. Was the best safety on the team to play meaningfully in the preseason.

Kind of intrigued by Sal Cannella, also.

Fritz
08-26-2022, 09:52 AM
I don't think you lose anything on special teams by cutting Winfree if you keep Toure. Supposedly Toure is pretty good on ST.

I am rooting for this Micah Anthony. He's made a splash since he's come into camp. If he has ST value and they think he's assignment-sure or will be soon, I hope they'll keep him over, say, a Ray Wilborn or Ty Summers on ST. I don't know if they play the same ST positions, though, a safety and an ILB.

Joemailman
08-26-2022, 10:04 AM
I don't think you lose anything on special teams by cutting Winfree if you keep Toure. Supposedly Toure is pretty good on ST.

I am rooting for this Micah Anthony. He's made a splash since he's come into camp. If he has ST value and they think he's assignment-sure or will be soon, I hope they'll keep him over, say, a Ray Wilborn or Ty Summers on ST. I don't know if they play the same ST positions, though, a safety and an ILB.

Micah Abernathy. Or is Anthony his middle name? At any rate, I think he's made the team. The question is whether there's a 4th safety worth keeping. If the Packers sign anyone off the waiver wire, it will probably be at safety.

Joemailman
08-26-2022, 10:24 AM
QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (3) A. Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Am Rodgers, Toure
OLB (5) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, Garvin

Practice Squad: Danny Etling, Tyler Goodson Dexter Williams, Ishmael Hyman, Juwann Winfree, Sal Cannella, Rasheed Walker, Jack Heflin, Chris Slayton, Kobe Jones, LaDarius Hamilton Ty Summers, Ray Wilborn Rico Gafford, Tariq Carpenter, Ramiz Ahmed.

call_me_ishmael
08-26-2022, 11:17 AM
I still think there is a reasonable chance that Watson is this year's Josh Sitton, although I do think that would be doing the player dirty since he didn't play in any of the games.

Is Josh Sitton a hall of famer? Is time time all-pro enough to make it? I doubt it, but maybe. Dang he was good in his prime.

Joemailman
08-26-2022, 11:37 AM
I still think there is a reasonable chance that Watson is this year's Josh Sitton, although I do think that would be doing the player dirty since he didn't play in any of the games.

Is Josh Sitton a hall of famer? Is time time all-pro enough to make it? I doubt it, but maybe. Dang he was good in his prime.

How is Watson like Josh Sitton? :confused:

call_me_ishmael
08-26-2022, 12:08 PM
How is Watson like Josh Sitton? :confused:

Surprise cut. If they intend to keep their best players, it seems wrong to not keep 10-11 OL and only 5 on the DL. I am skeptical that 7 of the WR are in the top 53 players.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 02:35 PM
I assume you mean Watkins

RashanGary
08-26-2022, 06:31 PM

I agree. I can see Watkins cut. I can seen anyone besides Lazard, Watson and Doubs cut.

RashanGary
08-26-2022, 06:32 PM
Rasheed Walker looked effortless and natural at RT last night. He makes it.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 06:33 PM
The Packers aren’t cutting Watkins. The top 6 is set. The only question is whether they carry 7 and if they do, will it be Winfree or Toure.

texaspackerbacker
08-26-2022, 07:38 PM
Or keep both and cut Amari.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 08:57 PM
Amari isn't getting cut. If Cobb gets injured, Amari will be the replacement (slot). If Watkins gets injured, Doubs will be the replacement. If Lazard gets injured, Watson will be the replacement (best blockers). Watson and Doubs will both play the speed receiver (MVS replacement).

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 08:59 PM
QB (2) - Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love
RB (2) - Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon
WR (7) - Allen Lazard, Sammy Watkins, Randall Cobb, Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson, Amari Rodgers, Samori Toure
TE (4) - Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Tyler Davis
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Elgton Jenkins, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Royce Newman, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan
DL (6) - Kenny Clark, Jarran Reed, Dean Lowry, T.J. Slayton, Devonte Wyatt, Jack Heflin
OLB (5) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kingsley Enagbare, Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai
ILB (5) - De'Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Krys Barnes, Isaiah McDuffie, Ray Wilborn
CB (5) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Rasul Douglas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Keisean Nixon
S (5) - Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Sean Davis, Tariq Carpenter, Dallin Leavitt
ST (3) - Mason Crosby, Pat O'Donnell, Jack Coco

PUP - RB Kylin Hill

POST 53 MOVES:

IR Leavitt and call up CB Kiondre Thomas or CB Rico Gafford.
Elevate RB Patrick Taylor or RB Tyler Goodson from PUP until Hill returns.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 09:03 PM
I'd normally never keep 7 WRs, but our top three guys may not be on the team next year. Winfree is a better player now, but Toure has as much potential and is under team control for several years.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2022, 09:05 PM
Jack Heflin vs Caleb Jones vs Rasheed Walker vs Chris Slayton was the toughest call. None of these players will help much on special teams. On a team this deep with a bigger focus on special teams, they may cut all four and hope to get at least one back at each position (OT, DL) for the PS.

RashanGary
08-26-2022, 10:05 PM
I think Rasheed Walker is making it

Fosco33
08-27-2022, 07:43 AM
I'd normally never keep 7 WRs, but our top three guys may not be on the team next year. Winfree is a better player now, but Toure has as much potential and is under team control for several years.

Winfrey also plays ST - which Toure did not.

Not sure either make it - but I’d say Toure to PS makes the most sense.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 09:06 AM
I don't think it takes ten days to get a guy prepared to be a Gunner.

Toure should be and I think will be the 6th WR. Winfree probably should and will be the 7th ahead of Amari.

Fosco33
08-27-2022, 09:36 AM
Rodgers likes Winfrey and he’s a blocker (and ST). And I don’t think Amari gets cut.

Joemailman
08-27-2022, 10:45 AM
Rodgers likes Winfrey and he’s a blocker (and ST). And I don’t think Amari gets cut.

Winfree does play ST. Question is whether he plays them well enough to make it over a guy like Toure who might have more upside at WR. Winfree looked to be one of the guys who got caught out of position on that opening kickoff coverage Thursday night. Could very well be Packers go with 6 WR's and both end up on PS.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2022, 11:23 AM
I don't think it takes ten days to get a guy prepared to be a Gunner.

Toure should be and I think will be the 6th WR. Winfree probably should and will be the 7th ahead of Amari.

Right now, Watson is like 5th on the depth chart. Perfect spot to be a special teams ace - let Watson (4.3 40) return kicks and punts and be a gunner as well.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2022, 01:23 PM
Winfree does play ST. Question is whether he plays them well enough to make it over a guy like Toure who might have more upside at WR. Winfree looked to be one of the guys who got caught out of position on that opening kickoff coverage Thursday night. Could very well be Packers go with 6 WR's and both end up on PS.

I was just studying kickoff coverage during the special teams. Winfree played that, but only after Keisean Nixon was taken out and they were trying other players on that unit. He didn't stand out. He played kickoff return also, and I don't think he actually made a block in the KC game.

It looks like we'll see something like this on kickoff coverage:

R1 - Shawn Davis
R2 - Keisean Nixon/Kiondre Thomas. Thomas played here a lot. Nixon played here when he was in. Maybe one moves to L1 with Scott out.
R3 - Krys Barnes. Kobe Jones played here the most, but this was the spot Barnes played when he was in.
R4 - Not sure. They tried Rico Gafford, Ty Goodson, and Kingsley Enagbare at this spot, but none of them stood out.
R5 - Tipa Galaei or Patrick Taylor. Galaei started here, but Taylor played a lot in the last two games--and he made two stand out plays.
L5 - Ray Wilborn/Ty Summers. Summers played here the most. If Summers doesn't make the team, Wilborn is the only other player who manned this spot.
L4 - Tariq Carpenter looked good in this spot in the KC game.
L3 - Isaiah McDuffie/Ray Wilborn. Wilborn played here the most. If Wilborn doesn't make the team, McDuffie manned this spot vs. SF.
L2 - Shermar Jean-Charles
L1 - Not sure. Vernon Scott was in this spot until his injury. Micah Abernathy replaced him and didn't stand out. Maybe Nixon or Thomas here.

There were only three stand out plays made in the preseason on kickoff coverage--two by Taylor and one by Carpenter. They tried a lot of different combinations, but you can kind of see what body types they want at each spot.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2022, 01:53 PM
I was just studying kickoff coverage during the special teams. Winfree played that, but only after Keisean Nixon was taken out and they were trying other players on that unit. He didn't stand out. He played kickoff return also, and I don't think he actually made a block in the KC game.

It looks like we'll see something like this on kickoff coverage:

R1 - Shawn Davis
R2 - Keisean Nixon/Kiondre Thomas. Thomas played here a lot. Nixon played here when he was in. Maybe one moves to L1 with Scott out.
R3 - Krys Barnes. Kobe Jones played here the most, but this was the spot Barnes played when he was in.
R4 - Not sure. They tried Rico Gafford, Ty Goodson, and Kingsley Enagbare at this spot, but none of them stood out.
R5 - Tipa Galaei or Patrick Taylor. Galaei started here, but Taylor played a lot in the last two games--and he made two stand out plays.
L5 - Ray Wilborn/Ty Summers. Summers played here the most. If Summers doesn't make the team, Wilborn is the only other player who manned this spot.
L4 - Tariq Carpenter looked good in this spot in the KC game.
L3 - Isaiah McDuffie/Ray Wilborn. Wilborn played here the most. If Wilborn doesn't make the team, McDuffie manned this spot vs. SF.
L2 - Shermar Jean-Charles
L1 - Not sure. Vernon Scott was in this spot until his injury. Micah Abernathy replaced him and didn't stand out. Maybe Nixon or Thomas here.

There were only three stand out plays made in the preseason on kickoff coverage--two by Taylor and one by Carpenter. They tried a lot of different combinations, but you can kind of see what body types they want at each spot.

Ain’t matter who’s in the lineup so long as the kicker can boom the rock deep for touchbacks. Another reason to get rid of Crosby for the strong-legged Muslim kicker.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2022, 02:22 PM
Minor tweak. I rewatched the last preseason game. I have to keep good big players over WRs or RBs. Wallace looked good, but Jones looked just as good--and there have been good reports about him all camp.

WR (6) - Allen Lazard, Sammy Watkins, Randall Cobb, Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson, Amari Rodgers
OL (10) - David Bakhtiari, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Elgton Jenkins, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Royce Newman, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan, Caleb Jones
DL (6) - Kenny Clark, Jarran Reed, Dean Lowry, T.J. Slayton, Devonte Wyatt, Jack Heflin
OLB (5) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kingsley Enagbare, Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai
ILB (5) - De'Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Krys Barnes, Isaiah McDuffie, Ray Wilborn
CB (5) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Rasul Douglas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Keisean Nixon
S (5) - Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Shawn Davis, Tariq Carpenter, Dallin Leavitt

PUP - RB Kylin Hill

POST 53 MOVES:

IR Leavitt and call up CB Kiondre Thomas or CB Rico Gafford.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 03:10 PM
Ain’t matter who’s in the lineup so long as the kicker can boom the rock deep for touchbacks. Another reason to get rid of Crosby for the strong-legged Muslim kicker.

I tend to agree with you about this. As I have said, I wish they'd keep Crosby around as a coach, available to be activated in case of emergency or exreme suckage. Ol' Ahmed took a hard hit and bounced back up, so maybe he's fairly tough.

smuggler
08-27-2022, 04:14 PM
Toure has looked pretty good against zone coverage and Winfree looked like dogshit against mostly man, so how could Toure be worse? I don't see any meaningful benefit by keeping Winfree, but I could see the argument in cutting both.

Joemailman
08-27-2022, 04:23 PM
MLF said today team is not sure if Crosby will come off PUP by Tuesday. Ahmed might get a 4 game audition in games that count.

Joemailman
08-27-2022, 05:52 PM
Jack Heflin vs Caleb Jones vs Rasheed Walker vs Chris Slayton was the toughest call. None of these players will help much on special teams. On a team this deep with a bigger focus on special teams, they may cut all four and hope to get at least one back at each position (OT, DL) for the PS.

I agree that Packer fans worry too much about Packer cuts getting picked up by other teams. But Walker could be a special case. I looked at several scouting reports of him and all had him projected as a 3-4 round pick. It was a major surprise he dropped to 7th round, maybe due to a knee injury. I just wonder if some teams that passed on him due to the knee might have second thoughts about that decision if Packers expose him to waivers.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 05:55 PM
Toure has looked pretty good against zone coverage and Winfree looked like dogshit against mostly man, so how could Toure be worse? I don't see any meaningful benefit by keeping Winfree, but I could see the argument in cutting both.

You don't see Amari as being worse than either of those two?

run pMc
08-28-2022, 10:23 AM
I don't see Gute giving up on Amari. He traded up to get him in R3 last year...you don't give up on a WR in Year 2 you moved up for, especially if he's shown what I'll call modest improvement this year.
I think realistically Amari has this year to show something. If not, next year he's in deep trouble.

As for Ahmed, having a strong leg for booming kickoffs is nice, but having an accurate leg for kicking in tough Lambeau conditions is more important IMO.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2022, 10:31 AM
I don't see Gute giving up on Amari. He traded up to get him in R3 last year...you don't give up on a WR in Year 2 you moved up for, especially if he's shown what I'll call modest improvement this year.
I think realistically Amari has this year to show something. If not, next year he's in deep trouble.

As for Ahmed, having a strong leg for booming kickoffs is nice, but having an accurate leg for kicking in tough Lambeau conditions is more important IMO.

PackersNews is reporting that the coaches have started using 8 as their “Debo,” you know a WR lining up in the backfield and carrying the rock. Lets see how that plays out.

Joemailman
08-28-2022, 10:47 AM
PackersNews is reporting that the coaches have started using 8 as their “Debo,” you know a WR lining up in the backfield and carrying the rock. Lets see how that plays out.

That is his role. Just don't expect Debo-type results.

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 01:17 PM

How many times have I said we should have taken kenny gainwell instead?

Anti-Polar Bear
08-28-2022, 01:57 PM
How many times have I said we should have taken kenny gainwell instead?

Who?

smuggler
08-28-2022, 02:48 PM
You don't see Amari as being worse than either of those two?

Amari does things those guys don't do. He doesn't do anything particularly well, but he gives the offense a multi-dynamic that they do not. I do not see a future where Amari becomes good, but maybe the Packera do. There is no such option for Winfree.

smuggler
08-28-2022, 04:20 PM
Anyone that had Summers off the 53 is one player closer to a perfect roster prediction. Goodnight sweet prince. You were not replacement level as an ILB and you were only serviceable on ST, so it's quite likely your NFL journey, at least as a player, is over.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2022, 04:38 PM
Knowing Leavitt isn’t out with a long-term injury, I will put Winfree over Carpenter. I’m really intrigued by Carpenter’s special teams potential, but he played a lot of the spots in game 3 that Leavitt did in game 1. I’d give him a spot in the practice squad.

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 11:21 PM
Who?

You won't ask that by midseason.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2022, 04:07 AM
I just spent a few hours really studying what the Packers might do on special teams. I'm having a hard time seeing how the Packers carry Jack Heflin. Kiondre Thomas got almost every snap on the punt return team. He was probably the best gunner on punt coverage. I could see him being a core special teams player. I've decided I really don't know what they'll do. :) I thought Thomas, Tariq Carpenter, and Ray Wilborn were some of the better players on special teams. Patrick Taylor also impressed me. Keisean Nixon, Dallin Leavitt, Shemar Jean-Charles, and Tipa Galeai look like core special teams players. Sprinkle in Krys Barnes, Isaiah McDuffie, and even Quay Walker on some special teams. I don't know how much the Packers will use their starters.

If I had to guess who are the preferred starters on each special teams unit, this is what I'd go with:

KICKOFF COVERAGE

R1 Shawn Davis
R2 Keisean Nixon
R3 Krys Barnes
R4 Kiondre Thomas or Rico Gafford
R5 Tipa Galeai
K Mason Crosby
L5 Ray Wilborn
L4 Dallin Leavitt
L3 Isaiah McDuffie
L2 Shemar Jean-Charles
L1 Micah Abernathy or Tariq Carpenter

KICKOFF RETURN

FL1 Shemar Jean-Charles
FL2 Isaiah McDuffie
FL3 Josiah Deguara
FL4 Krys Barnes
FL5 Kiondre Thomas or Tariq Carpenter
SL1 Tipa Galeai
SL2 Alize Mack was the only one who I saw play here. Jonathan Garvin and Kingsley Enagbare both played SL1 and SL3.
SL3 Tyler Davis
UB1/UB2 Patrick Taylor, Juwann Winfree, and Samori Toure exclusively played the two upback positions, but almost anybody could play here. Winfree didn't look that good here.
RET Amari Rodgers

PUNT COVERAGE

P Pat O'Donnell
LT Tipa Galeai or Ray Wilborn
LG Isaiah McDuffie
LS Jack Coco
RG Krys Barnes
RT Quay Walker
UP1 Josiah Deguara
UP2 Dallin Leavitt
UP3 Tyler Davis
GUN1 Who knows? They tried a lot of guys here. I thought Kiondre Thomas may have looked the best, but Rico Gafford's speed here is an asset.
GUN2 Keisean Nixon

PUNT RETURN

LOS1 Tipa Galeai or Tariq Carpenter
LOS2 Isaiah McDuffie
LOS3 Tyler Davis
LOS4 Krys Barnes
LOS5 Ray Wilborn
LB1 Shemar Jean-Charles
LB2 Dallin Leavitt
LB3 Shawn Davis
GC1 Kiondre Thomas or Micah Abernathy
GC2 Keisean Nixon
RET Amari Rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2022, 04:58 PM
I feel pretty good about 49 spots. The final four spots are all tough. They could all go either way. I think the final four spots come down to:

WR7 - Juwann Winfree vs. Samori Toure

I'm leaning Winfree. I don't know how much clout Rodgers has, but it's a consideration. I think they could get Toure on PS. I think Winfree might look for an opportunity elsewhere, if he were cut. This is the one I feel most wrong about. Generally, I'd go with the younger guy under team control for several years. However, with the question marks at WR (injury prone vets and rookies) they may coddle Rodgers.

OL10 - Caleb Jones vs. Rasheed Walker

I would normally lean Walker as a draft pick, but Jones got praise all camp. Walker seemed to be in the dog house most of training camp. I think both guys have intriguing potential, but I guess I'll lean towards the guy who has been the most consistent.

CB6 - Rico Gafford vs. Kiondre Thomas

I would lean Gafford for his speed as a gunner, but I think the gunners on punt coverage may end up being Keisean Nixon and Eric Stokes. Thomas looked solid as a gunner, and I thought he looked better as a CB. He's no slouch athletically either.

ST - Tariq Carpenter vs. Ray Wilborn

I like both guys on special teams, but looking at the projected special teams I think they could get by with just one more special teams ace. I like Carpenter's potential more.

My final prediction, I think: :)

WR (6) - Allen Lazard, Sammy Watkins, Randall Cobb, Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson, Amari Rodgers, Juwann Winfree
OL (10) - David Bakhtiari, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Elgton Jenkins, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Royce Newman, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan, Caleb Jones
DL (5) - Kenny Clark, Jarran Reed, Dean Lowry, T.J. Slayton, Devonte Wyatt
OLB (5) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Jonathan Garvin, Kingsley Enagbare, Tipa Galeai
ILB (5) - De'Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Krys Barnes, Isaiah McDuffie
CB (6) - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Rasul Douglas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Keisean Nixon, Kiondre Thomas
S (5) - Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Shawn Davis, Dallin Leavitt, Tariq Carpenter

PUP - RB Kylin Hill

POST 53 MOVES:

RashanGary
08-29-2022, 06:25 PM
Good guess, Harv. Rasheed Walker was out all camp with a knee. It’s part of why he slipped. I see him making it. Caleb Jones could more easily be slipped onto the PS

Joemailman
08-30-2022, 10:02 AM
QB (2) Rodgers, Love
RB (3) A. Jones, Dillon, Taylor
WR (7) Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Watson, Doubs, Am Rodgers, Toure
OLB (5) Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Galeai, Garvin

Practice Squad: Danny Etling, Tyler Goodson Dexter Williams, Ishmael Hyman, Juwann Winfree, Sal Cannella, Rasheed Walker, Jack Heflin, Chris Slayton, Kobe Jones, LaDarius Hamilton Ty Summers, Ray Wilborn Rico Gafford, Tariq Carpenter, Ramiz Ahmed.

So far I missed on Thomas.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2022, 10:59 AM
I think we all missed on Davis, but we didn’t know he had a knee injury.

RashanGary
08-30-2022, 11:10 AM
Looks like everyone missed on kiondre Thomas too.

Joemailman
08-30-2022, 06:43 PM
I missed 4. I did not have Rasheed Walker, Ford, Leavitt, and Carpenter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2022, 09:03 PM
I missed on Toure, Walker, Ford, and Abernathy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2022, 10:42 PM
KICKOFF COVERAGE

R1 Micah Abernathy
R2 Keisean Nixon
R3 Krys Barnes
R4 Tariq Carpenter
R5 Tipa Galeai
K Mason Crosby
L5 Ray Wilborn and Ty Summers are the only ones who played here. Do they go somebody like Quay Walker here?
L4 Dallin Leavitt
L3 Isaiah McDuffie
L2 Shemar Jean-Charles
L1 The guys who played here aren't on the team. It looks like this position might come from a starter.

KICKOFF RETURN

FL1 Shemar Jean-Charles
FL2 Isaiah McDuffie
FL3 Josiah Deguara
FL4 Krys Barnes
FL5 Tariq Carpenter
SL1 Tipa Galeai
SL2 Tyler Davis
SL3 Jonathan Garvin
UB1 Samori Toure
UB2 Juwann Winfree was here in the preseason. Could be any RB or WR.
RET Amari Rodgers

PUNT COVERAGE

P Pat O'Donnell
LT Tipa Galeai
LG Isaiah McDuffie
LS Jack Coco
RG Krys Barnes
RT Quay Walker
UP1 Josiah Deguara
UP2 Dallin Leavitt
UP3 Tyler Davis
GUN1 Tariq Carpenter was here at times in the preseason, but I don't know that he's the guy here.
GUN2 Keisean Nixon

PUNT RETURN

LOS1 Tariq Carpenter
LOS2 Isaiah McDuffie
LOS3 Tyler Davis
LOS4 Krys Barnes
LOS5 Tipa Galeai
LB1 Samori Toure
LB2 Dallin Leavitt
LB3 Micah Abernathy
GC1 Shemar Jean-Charles
GC2 Keisean Nixon