PDA

View Full Version : Are you ALL IN, or ALL out, on da LOVE MACHINE

Bretsky
08-26-2022, 09:20 PM
OK you bunch of Sharon's, time to bring out your outspoken self and take a current stand.

Are you ALL IN , or ALL OUT, on the LOVE MACHINE, at this point in 2022.

And if you are all in, are you at the point where you would keep him, watch him improve a bit more, and pick up his 5th year option ?

Or all out, cheering for him, knowing his ceiling is really at best an average NFL Quarterback, which in the NFL is what most teams try to avoid. So cheer for him, do good Love Boy, so we can trade your ass the first chance we get ?

call_me_ishmael
08-26-2022, 09:46 PM
I don't see it, I'm out.

https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/1920x1080/getty_859515610_2000133015036976949_334663.jpg

Spaulding
08-27-2022, 08:07 AM
For the record, wasn't thrilled about the Love pick in the first place. Not because we took a QB but because we traded up to get him when it seemed there was a good probability that he'd have been around in the 2nd for us. However, this preseason has shown some good progression that leaves me encouraged enough to think he has as good a chance of any recently drafted QB (outside of top five drafted QB's) to be an NFL starter in this league. Does that mean he will be? Nope, but at least now I see a chance and with Rodgers playing for just this year, or 2 years, it gives the Packers a chance to transition at QB and still be competitive without a rebuild.

IN

RashanGary
08-27-2022, 12:31 PM
I said out because the odds are against him. But he’s still got a chance.

Bretsky
08-27-2022, 02:30 PM
This is a loaded poll; if your All in, I assume that means you would want GB to pick up his 5th year option. Not sure if that is a fair assumption but that is a consideration.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 02:36 PM
Aside from the fact that I see Rodgers playing way longer than a year or two, I just don't think Love has looked like what we want for a future QB. As I have said, maybe Kirk Cousins level at best. For the present as a back up/clipboard holder, I suppose he's adequate, and for the first time this year, I don't see total oblivion if Rodgers went down. Our D and RBs give the team a chance to be fairly decent even with a mediocre QB, for part of a season anyway. As for who that back up is, of course it will be Love, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure our chances wouldn't be better with Etling at QB.

Vincenzo
08-27-2022, 02:37 PM
Sharon? Where I come from which is Dublin Ireland they are fighting words.

I’m out with Love, I say this as I shake my head.

Joemailman
08-27-2022, 02:50 PM
I voted all in because I think he has a good chance of being a better than average starting NFL QB. But whether or not I would want Packers to pick up 5th year option would depend on whether Rodgers is going to be here. I don't want Packers paying him 20M in 2024 to back up Rodgers.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 02:57 PM
Is that what I fifth year option would cost? $20m? A hard no to that hahahaha. I was thinking a lot less, and maybe keep him as a back up, at least that's what I thought a couple weeks ago. But decent Etling or Benkert quality back ups apparently aren't that hard to find.

Bretsky
08-27-2022, 02:57 PM
I voted all in because I think he has a good chance of being a better than average starting NFL QB. But whether or not I would want Packers to pick up 5th year option would depend on whether Rodgers is going to be here. I don't want Packers paying him 20M in 2024 to back up Rodgers.

But if you are all in, I would assume you want GB to keep him knowing Aaron only has another year or two left.

There are so many NFL ready QB's these days.

Even if AROD retires after one year, would you really rather extend him at $19,000,0000 that year as opposed to trade him for what they can get and recommit, to perhaps, another QB in round one and start the clock over.

I'll take what I can get for Love, and if nothing else they could package the two picks to move up next year in a QB heavy draft.

All fun debate

Joemailman
08-27-2022, 03:02 PM
I'm not convinced Rodgers only has 1 or 2 years left.

Bretsky
08-27-2022, 03:02 PM
Is that what I fifth year option would cost? $20m? A hard no to that hahahaha. I was thinking a lot less, and maybe keep him as a back up, at least that's what I thought a couple weeks ago. But decent Etling or Benkert quality back ups apparently aren't that hard to find.

TEX, great idea for a poll.

Hit Create new thread, and put in a top and whatever the body you want as an explation

AT THE BOTTOM, you would check a box saying "Create New Poll". Check that, and it will take you to a screen, and you will enter the Poll Question, Number of options, and then add the options.

Give it a shot; I honestly wish we had a lot more polls in here driving some debate

Bretsky
08-27-2022, 03:04 PM
I'm not convinced Rodgers only has 1 or 2 years left.

Doesn't sound like you are all in on Jordan Love either. He's looke so so much better this year than last. And Tom Clements IMO gets a lot of credit.
I think he might be an average starter. Just don't want just an average starter.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2022, 03:17 PM
TEX, great idea for a poll.

Hit Create new thread, and put in a top and whatever the body you want as an explation

AT THE BOTTOM, you would check a box saying "Create New Poll". Check that, and it will take you to a screen, and you will enter the Poll Question, Number of options, and then add the options.

Give it a shot; I honestly wish we had a lot more polls in here driving some debate

Thanks. My message to you didn't show up as sent, so I wasn't sure you got it. I will try.

I tried, but when I clicked Create New Poll, no new screen came up. I'll just skip it, I guess.

smuggler
08-27-2022, 04:06 PM
Given the binary choice, I'm out. But I think he'll be a decent starter. Never great, but might be good enough.

George Cumby
08-27-2022, 10:27 PM
Fuggit:

All in.

Massive J
08-27-2022, 11:27 PM
All in.
He's a far out dude in a happening sort of way.

wthigoot
08-28-2022, 12:02 AM
Aaron Rodgers began to really look the part in this third preseason. Love is not there yet, but the COVID stuff set him back.

By next season, he should be at the good backup, decent starter level. I think his ceiling will be clear by then, my guess is average starter, but it might be better.

The 5th year option is some gigantic amount, like $20m or something, can't do that. Rodgers probably has 2 more years after this one, so that is Love waiting to start in his 6th year at earliest. The timing is all messed up now, so he probably is traded before we get another look at him in training camp (instead of keeping him for 4th year and getting no return).

I would try this - but it probably means nothing back for a 1st and a 4th:
- No 5th year option (too expensive)
- Keep him as backup 4th year
- See if you can sign him for a reasonable contract, but my guess is he will go elsewhere

So I guess per the question that means - out, or in - not sure

EDIT: QB 5th year option is $19.6m this year

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2022, 07:51 AM
Good Analysis of why it was a colossal blunder to draft Love. Gutekunst in general has done an excellent job as GM, but that is the one gigantic stain on his record.

call_me_ishmael
08-28-2022, 07:55 AM
Can you trade a player in year 4 or year 5 if they sign the option? I wonder if they sign the option and trade him.

Joemailman
08-28-2022, 08:06 AM
Can you trade a player in year 4 or year 5 if they sign the option? I wonder if they sign the option and trade him.

I believe you can. However, I believe the 5th year is guaranteed, which might make some teams shy away from trading for him.

call_me_ishmael
08-28-2022, 08:23 AM
I imagine the plan is to keep him this year and see what ARod does. I think this is likely Rodger's last season, or he is playing this one + two more based on comments I heard him say somewhere. If this is his last year, they have Love ready to go and can see what's up. Can they franchise him if he is a stud and they decline the 5th year option? What about regular resigning before hitting FA?

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 01:22 PM
I staked my claim in another thread. I think he is the packer starter maybe even next year (depends on ARod). I think he will be midlevel good. Matt Ryan, Cousins, Tannehill. I just don't want to pay him $40 million and expect we can win an Owl with him.

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 01:23 PM
Aside from the fact that I see Rodgers playing way longer than a year or two, I just don't think Love has looked like what we want for a future QB. As I have said, maybe Kirk Cousins level at best. For the present as a back up/clipboard holder, I suppose he's adequate, and for the first time this year, I don't see total oblivion if Rodgers went down. Our D and RBs give the team a chance to be fairly decent even with a mediocre QB, for part of a season anyway. As for who that back up is, of course it will be Love, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure our chances wouldn't be better with Etling at QB.

Yes, tex. That is what 28 NFL teams have to try to win with. If your attitude is that we should move on and get us another Rodgers....well, in your world I guess that is easy.

George Cumby
08-28-2022, 03:56 PM
I staked my claim in another thread. I think he is the packer starter maybe even next year (depends on ARod). I think he will be midlevel good. Matt Ryan, Cousins, Tannehill. I just don't want to pay him $40 million and expect we can win an Owl with him.

If this defense rounds into form and they can keep the talent, he may not have to be a pro-bowler, just top third of the league, -ish.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2022, 07:19 PM
Yes, tex. That is what 28 NFL teams have to try to win with. If your attitude is that we should move on and get us another Rodgers....well, in your world I guess that is easy.

What by any stretch could possibly give you the idea that my attitude is "that we should move on"? Have I not said enough times, we need to hang onto the Rodgers we have for as long as possible? A decade or more would suit me fine hahahahaha. When we do lose him - sooner or later or much later, it's gonna be dark times - basically until we do find another Rodgers or close to it. And it's increasingly apparent that Jordan Love ain't that, not even close.

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 09:23 PM
What by any stretch could possibly give you the idea that my attitude is "that we should move on"? Have I not said enough times, we need to hang onto the Rodgers we have for as long as possible? A decade or more would suit me fine hahahahaha. When we do lose him - sooner or later or much later, it's gonna be dark times - basically until we do find another Rodgers or close to it. And it's increasingly apparent that Jordan Love ain't that, not even close.

The thread is about Jordan Love, not Rodgers. Move on refers to Love.

bobblehead
08-28-2022, 09:25 PM
If this defense rounds into form and they can keep the talent, he may not have to be a pro-bowler, just top third of the league, -ish.

That is basically my attitude, maybe i assume everyone reads all my past drivel. I mean you can't win an owl paying him $40 million. But pay him $20 mil and put a team around him you have a shot.

SudsMcBucky
08-29-2022, 10:32 AM
Couldn't vote in this poll. I'm not at either of those extremes, yet.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2022, 11:52 AM
The thread is about Jordan Love, not Rodgers. Move on refers to Love.

Well, excuse me, king bobble hahahahaha (I'm with you on that other thing, though). You said I think getting another Rodgers is easy, which sort of implies moving on from Rodgers. Obviously I don't think that, although lightning has struck twice, so why not a third time. After all, Ol' Vince is up there directing the Lord's football operations.

Regarding Love, if you were referring to him with the moving on thing, hell yeah. I do think finding a Love-quality QB is pretty damn easy. I don't know why they ever thought he was all that special in the first place, and as somebody said and I agreed with, drafting him when we did was grossly stupid - by far the worst, maybe only stain on Gutekunst's record as GM.

bobblehead
08-29-2022, 12:46 PM
Thats fair enough. I think he falls in with the massive clump of QBs from 5-25 in rankings. I expect we can find similar with a little work, but we have him now so i don't see any reason to move on.

I too wish we hadn't drafted him, and taken something else instead. I doubt anyone on this forum feels much different. But again, that wasn't the question asked.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2022, 01:50 PM
Basically yes, except I wouldn't even rate Love nearly that high. I thought, even said, a week or two ago that it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up that 5th year option and retain him as a back up. However, that's before I learned that the cost of that 5th year would be $19.6 million. He's simply not worth anywhere near that much. I'm not sure if picking up the option would increase his trade value or not. My gut feeling, though, is it would not, as presumably the obligation for that salary would pass to the other team in a trade.

run pMc
08-30-2022, 12:11 PM
I'm OUT. Mostly.

Didn't care for the pick, didn't like the trade up. The rumors that they wanted Aiyuk once Jefferson went have some truth to them IMO, and they took Love as BPA on their board, with the fact that Rodgers had a pedestrian first year (for him) with MLF.

I think he has accuracy issues that Clements can only do so much to fix. His decision making is so-so, he can read thru his progressions and his poise is improved as well.

He has made big improvements from last year and his rookie year, -- which was a very weird year with Covid, no offseason/preseason, and Rodgers angry at Gute. He's still very young (he's a few months younger than Kenny Pickett)... so he still has room to improve. So there is hope.

And yet.

There's some intangible missing when I watch him play, and I think that sets him apart from Favre and later Rodgers, who you could see in his stint vs. Dallas and then first start vs. Minnesota that there was a spark there.I don't get that from Jordan Love. I think he's... okay. Is he better than Tua? Goff? Jalen Hurts? Sam Darnold? Trubisky?

I don't think he amounts to more than an average NFL starter, meaning I don't think he'll quite reach his ceiling. Average NFL starter will get him interest around the league. I don't think the Packers will exercise the 5th year option for two reasons: (1) he hasn't earned it yet, and (2) there's an outside chance Rodgers is on the roster in which case there's no way you can tie up that much cap space on two QBs.
I do see a world where Rodgers rides off into the sunset and Love signs a short extension and the chance to compete with another QB they bring in either via FA, trade, or (more likely) draft. It would be madness to give him $20M without knowing more than what we do, and what Gute & Co. have seen.

At the moment, Jordan Love is a pretty good backup QB - he can get them thru a game or two with their running game and defense should they need him. There's value in that, and they aren't trading him until off season, if at all. I wouldn't call him a dark stain on Gute's resume; it was a risk and even if it did nothing more than goad MVP play out of Rodgers it's a good move. Wolf and TT had picks that were at least as questionable.

Fritz
08-30-2022, 12:39 PM
I'm all in. I got over his not-great first preseason game. But that fifth year option amount? Wow.

I didn't know the fifth year option was so high. I thought it was a negotiated amount, part of the contract, but it seems like it must be some crazy average of QB salaries if it's really upwards of nineteen million a year. That seems crazy.

I think Love can approach the Majkowski/Lynn Dickey level of quality. Good, better than average, maybe really good, but not Favre/Rodgers. That would be asking too much as a fan.

Upnorth
08-30-2022, 03:37 PM
I don't know how you can be all out in an above average backup qb for only 3.4 mil. You have to recognize that we already spent the draft capital and not hold it against him.

Fritz
09-02-2022, 05:34 AM
I don't know how you can be all out in an above average backup qb for only 3.4 mil. You have to recognize that we already spent the draft capital and not hold it against him.

True, true. But you can be all out in terms of whether the team should try to keep him for the longer term. I had no idea that the fifth year option was some kind of league average of salaries for the position - it seems nutty to pony up that kind of money, even if Rodgers retires after this year, for a guy who's never been a starter in the NFL and has had a rocky path. If the team really does pick up that option, that says they think that he's really going to be that good. I don't know if they can simply negotiate a new contract with him this year or not.