PDA

View Full Version : Official Week 1 Packers vs. Vikings Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-05-2022, 02:03 PM
Packers lead regular season series 63-55-3.

Last meeting: January 2, 2022. Packers defeated Vikings 37-10. With Kirk Cousins out, Sean Mannion started at QB for the Vikings. Aaron Rodgers threw for 288 yards and 2 TD's. Davante Adams had 11 receptions for 136 yards and 1 TD.

Last meeting at Minnesota: November 21, 2021. Vikings defeated Packers 34-31. Aaron Rodgers threw for 385 yards and 4 TD's. MVS had 4 receptions for 123 yards and 1 TD. Davante Adams had 7 receptions for 115 yards and 2 TD's. Kirk Cousins threw for 341 yards and 3 TD's. Justin Jefferson had 8 receptions for 169 yards and 2 TD's. Packers tied the game with 2:08 left on a 75 yard TD reception by MVS. Vikings drove down the field and kicked winning field goal as time expired.

Allen Lazard was only Packer player not practicing today. Mason Crosby was kicking. MLF indicated Bakhtiari may do team reps today but Jenkins may not. Both took part in individual drills.

Packers are 1.5 point favorites. Over under is 48. Moneyline is +105 Vikings, -125 Packers.

I have Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook in 2 of my fantasy leagues.

bobblehead
09-05-2022, 02:05 PM
We still have absolutely no clue what the starting 5 on the OL will look like....yet I am confident it will be a good group.

Joemailman
09-05-2022, 02:14 PM
If the Packers RG/RT combo is Hanson/Newman, I worry a bit about the matchups against Danielle Hunter and Z Smith.

I think the defensive fronts may have an advantage over the offensive lines in this game.

Teamcheez1
09-05-2022, 04:35 PM
Lazard not practicing due to undisclosed injury as stated above. Time for the new guys to step up.

I don’t hold out much hope for either Bakh or Jenkins this week. They should have just left Bakh on the PUP.

RashanGary
09-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Bakhtiari thinks he’s gonna play according to Bob Demovsky of ESPN. Jenkins is a maybe. Word is, Nijman struggles when moving to the right side.

We might see the Hanson/Newman right side with Bakh/Runyan holding down the left.

No matter how it shakes out, it shouldn’t be a dumpster fire. We have decent backup OL. They should be able to come up with a plan that takes some pressure off of Newman and allows the offense to succeed. We can run the ball and we can do some things to get the ball out quickly.

I like our chances in this game. Minnesota is working in a new offense and defense. We should have a little head start on them.

RashanGary
09-05-2022, 04:51 PM
I’m curious to see Doubs and Watson. They’re both probably gonna have some packages. In an ideal world; Lazard, Watkins and Cobb will be the starters and then we can build packages for the rookies to really dial in on. Over the course of the season they can add a little more to their plates and by seasons end, we can have some things built in for the rookies that we do well.

I’m crossing my fingers for some receiver health. I just want to see the young guys eased in. We need some injury luck for that to happen. Rodgers will get frustrated quickly if the rookies have too much on their plate and can’t handle it.

CaptainD
09-06-2022, 02:50 PM
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1567238106629242882

Depth chart out shows Bahk and Jenkins starting this week

Tony Oday
09-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Vikings win this 34-3

Joemailman
09-06-2022, 03:02 PM
Vikings win this 34-3

Well, that's better than opening week last year. By 4 points.

Tony Oday
09-06-2022, 03:09 PM
Well, that's better than opening week last year. By 4 points.

Baby steps

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2022, 09:37 PM
R E L A X, People. In the past, it has taken panicky fools some kind of loss or bad event to go off the deep end. Now, incredibly, some are that far gone in advance hahahaha.

Yeah, "we" don't know who is starting in the O Line - we posters hahahaha. It's safe to say the coaching staff does. My view is that whoever we put out there in the O Line, we will be just fine.

And we're gonna lose - lose bad? Sheeeesh. This is the damn Vikings we're playing against, and this is probably the best all around Packer team in recent years - recent years where we went 13-3, 13-4, etc.

A repeat of last year's opening day debacle? Is there anybody in here who does not think LaFleur is a damn good coach? Undoubtedly he is drumming it in to the team this week not to let the shit of last year happen again, and absolutely this team ought to win/has better talent than last year/has better talent than the damned Vikings and pretty much anybody else in the league.

Fritz
09-07-2022, 12:39 AM
If the Packers RG/RT combo is Hanson/Newman, I worry a bit about the matchups against Danielle Hunter and Z Smith.

I think the defensive fronts may have an advantage over the offensive lines in this game.

My guess is that this will be a particularly sloppy game. Vikes have a new coach and a new defense, and The Flower doesn't play his starters in the preseason, so there's every reason to think this game will feature a lot of busted plays, turnovers, and penalties. Especially false starts.

It can't possibly be the disaster last year's opener was. My wife and I watched the second quarter at a bar and went home. God, that was ugly.

I'm guessing that the Packer offense is sluggish, particularly in the passing game. There will be Rodgers' eye-rolling every third play, busted plays, backs getting eaten in the backfield. But I also think that the running game will carry the day at the end for the Packers, and that Packer defense will shut down Minny's new offense. I think Green Bay wins this one.

RashanGary
09-07-2022, 08:53 AM
My guess is that this will be a particularly sloppy game. Vikes have a new coach and a new defense, and The Flower doesn't play his starters in the preseason, so there's every reason to think this game will feature a lot of busted plays, turnovers, and penalties. Especially false starts.

It can't possibly be the disaster last year's opener was. My wife and I watched the second quarter at a bar and went home. God, that was ugly.

I'm guessing that the Packer offense is sluggish, particularly in the passing game. There will be Rodgers' eye-rolling every third play, busted plays, backs getting eaten in the backfield. But I also think that the running game will carry the day at the end for the Packers, and that Packer defense will shut down Minny's new offense. I think Green Bay wins this one.

I could see something like this happening.

Joemailman
09-07-2022, 10:38 AM
Almost all of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, and excepting Tennessee and New York will get Packers/Vikings. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen with the call.

https://506sports.com/2022/01-FOX-L.png

Earlier on Fox, much of the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, will get 49ers at Bears. Joe Davis and Daryl Johnston with the call.
https://506sports.com/2022/01-FOX-E.png

Freak Out
09-07-2022, 01:29 PM
Yes!

Teamcheez1
09-07-2022, 02:13 PM
Lazard not practicing again. MLF says his foot was stepped on (?) for the injury. Who is the starter now with Lazard out? Doubs?

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Something interesting I noticed from todays practice highlights. In all three Sammy Watkins videos, the only other receiver lined up across from Watkins was Christian Watson. That could point to Watson having a bigger role than expected - especially if Lazard is out. Watson was a great blocker in college.

run pMc
09-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Watkins isn't Adams but he can do some of the same things. He'll be a starter. I think this will be a game where they really need Tonyan. I wonder if they elevate Winfree off the PS to do some dirty work things Lazard does.
I expect MLF to rotate Watson and Doubs in liberally. I don't expect Toure to play.

Probably will be a sloppy game but after last year's opener I think they'll be more focused as long as the defense hasn't been drinking its own Kool-Aid. The Vikings are moving away from ZimmerPower to more of the Rams 11 personnel stuff, which GB is actually pretty well suited to defend although they have players who can put up a lot of points.

OL will be important in this game handling the Z and the noise, and to open rush lanes for Jones/Dillon. I haven't seen if Bahk or Jenkins will play; I could see them both being held out (and off that turf) until next week. If they both sit I'd rather see Newman-Tom than Hanson-Newman on the right side.

Early season games are hard to figure out but this feels like a game GB should win by a slim margin.

Joemailman
09-07-2022, 04:35 PM
Lazard has an ankle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcFQgj-XgAQgeD7?format=png&name=small

Teamcheez1
09-07-2022, 05:10 PM
We haven’t played a game yet, and we still can’t get healthy.

Bretsky
09-07-2022, 05:22 PM
Something interesting I noticed from todays practice highlights. In all three Sammy Watkins videos, the only other receiver lined up across from Watkins was Christian Watson. That could point to Watson having a bigger role than expected - especially if Lazard is out. Watson was a great blocker in college.

Curious HW

For Fantasy football in ppr how would you order the top 4 Packer WR's for Scoring (Lazaar/Sammy/Watson/Dubbs) ?

And maybe Cobb is in there but I don't think I'd want him due to limited upside

call_me_ishmael
09-07-2022, 09:33 PM
I have Lazard, Sammy and Dubbs on my team all riding pine because they were late round pick-ups. One of those is going to catch a lot of balls and be amazing value.

Knowing ARod, he ain't throwing to any of the above but Lazard to start, so I would play him week one unless he is going to be out. They will likely run the ball a lot too with Dill and Jones.

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2022, 10:56 PM
History shows that whenever he hasn't had Davante, Rodgers spreads the round fairly equally to a lot of receivers, often 6 or 8 a game. I expect plenty of that with the Packers still being a pass-first offense and whoever has the least coverage getting targeted. Whether Lazard plays or not, I expect both young guys to get some big receptions.

SudsMcBucky
09-08-2022, 07:55 AM
Lazard has an ankle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcFQgj-XgAQgeD7?format=png&name=small

So what? I have 2 of them.

Fritz
09-08-2022, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Teamcheez1;1119260]We haven

Teamcheez1
09-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Bill Huber

Sources say the packers will practice despite the passing of the queen.

Joemailman
09-08-2022, 02:11 PM
Bill Huber

Sources say the packers will practice despite the passing of the queen.

We are so uncultured.

Joemailman
09-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Lazard and Lewis not practicing. Vet rest day for Lewis.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Curious HW

For Fantasy football in ppr how would you order the top 4 Packer WR's for Scoring (Lazaar/Sammy/Watson/Dubbs) ?

And maybe Cobb is in there but I don't think I'd want him due to limited upside

Who knows?!? A lot will depend on the health of the veterans. It looks like Watson is Lazard's backup, Doubs is Watkins's backup, and Rodgers is Cobb's backup right now.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2022, 03:29 PM
38 TDs and 0 interceptions in 12 games is pretty good, right?

QB Aaron Rodgers has posted a 100-plus passer rating in 12 straight divisional games. Over that span he has completed 277 of 377 (73.5%) passes for 3,238 yards, 38 TDs, zero INTs and a passer rating of 132.7.

texaspackerbacker
09-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Just days at the office for the GOAT.

Joemailman
09-08-2022, 05:40 PM
No changes on injury report for Packers except that Lewis had day off.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcKr7wvXwAE9IjY?format=jpg&name=small

JABF
09-08-2022, 10:44 PM
Packers lead regular season series 63-55-3.

I have Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook in 2 of my fantasy leagues.

I have Aaron Rodgers and the Packers D on my only FF team. I've won our league the last 2 years... and fully expect a 3-peat with AR & the D this year.

run pMc
09-09-2022, 07:55 AM

I think I read somewhere that if Rodgers continued to throw INT at his normal rate he'd be 75 when he passed Brett Favre for the most in NFL history. Pretty sure even Tex will be ok with Rodgers retiring before that happens.

smuggler
09-09-2022, 08:46 AM

King in Da Norf

Joemailman
09-09-2022, 10:27 AM
The Green Bay Packers selected six team captains for the 2022 season.

The team voted to elect quarterback Aaron Rodgers, running back Aaron Jones, tight end Marcedes Lewis, defensive lineman Kenny Clark, linebacker DeVondre Campbell and safety Adrian Amos as the team captains this year.

No special teams captain. Probably not surprising given all the turnover, and potential turnover there.

Fritz
09-09-2022, 12:38 PM
No special teams captain. Probably not surprising given all the turnover, and potential turnover there.

Maybe Bisaccia didn't allow them to have a captain yet, as they've earned nothing and no one has had enough time to show leadership on this unit.

I can see Rich shaming the unit. And why not?

Joemailman
09-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Maybe Bisaccia didn't allow them to have a captain yet, as they've earned nothing and no one has had enough time to show leadership on this unit.

I can see Rich shaming the unit. And why not?

There's just not an obvious captain. Some key guys from the past like Malik Taylor and Ty Summers are gone. It was Crosby last year but there's no guarantee he'll finish the season as the Packers kicker.

bobblehead
09-09-2022, 02:16 PM
I have Lazard, Sammy and Dubbs on my team all riding pine because they were late round pick-ups. One of those is going to catch a lot of balls and be amazing value.

Knowing ARod, he ain't throwing to any of the above but Lazard to start, so I would play him week one unless he is going to be out. They will likely run the ball a lot too with Dill and Jones.

Sammy has had something like 450 yards last 3 season openers. He's good til he pulls a vagina.

bobblehead
09-09-2022, 02:19 PM
King in Da Norf
You do recall he was murdered right?

Joemailman
09-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Bakhtiari did not practice today. If his knee is full of fluid again, it might be time to start planning a retirement party.

Joemailman
09-09-2022, 02:30 PM
Tom Silverstein Retweeted
Ryan Wood

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur with status for Sunday's opener at Vikings...

David Bakhtiari: questionable
Elgton Jenkins: questionable
Allen Lazard: doubtful

Robert Tonyan will play, LaFleur said.

SudsMcBucky
09-09-2022, 02:39 PM
Sammy has had something like 450 yards last 3 season openers. He's good til he pulls a vagina.

LMFAO. Well done!

Joemailman
09-09-2022, 03:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcPR_rzWQAEfQ2w?format=jpg&name=medium

George Cumby
09-09-2022, 05:32 PM
Tom Silverstein Retweeted
Ryan Wood

#Packers coach Matt LaFleur with status for Sunday's opener at Vikings...

David Bakhtiari: questionable
Elgton Jenkins: questionable
Allen Lazard: doubtful

Robert Tonyan will play, LaFleur said.

Oof.

I'm not going to be surprised if this is an ugly game like last year's opener.

Teamcheez1
09-09-2022, 08:34 PM
Bakh jerseys will be very cheap in the near future.

Sparkey
09-09-2022, 09:10 PM
Watson will play Sunday.

Fritz
09-10-2022, 09:10 AM
So Jenkins practiced on a limited basis. But do you really want him to play on astroturf, or whatever they call it now, in his first game back? Or has astroturf gotten better and safer? I don't really know. But if he can't even go full-bore in practice, I'm not sure how in the matter of a day and a half he'd be ready to play a full game.

Hmm. Nijman-Runyan-Meyers-Hanson-Newman. That right side sounds rough. I wish they'd just play Zach Tom at RT and kick Newman inside. Rookie or no, StupidDome or no, I think he'd be better than Newman at RT and Hanson at RG.

Joemailman
09-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Rodgers got a haircut. https://twitter.com/i/status/1568717345719205896

red
09-10-2022, 08:17 PM
Rodgers got a haircut. https://twitter.com/i/status/1568717345719205896

is that the AJ HAWK?

Sparkey
09-10-2022, 08:19 PM
Arthur Shelby from Peaky Blinders.

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2022, 09:45 PM
I think they think Bak will be back - otherwise they wouldn't have pushed his money into later years when they ended up not needing it.

Joemailman
09-10-2022, 11:26 PM
MK Burgess

Only in Green Bay can my Twitter feed be OVER RUN with takes on the fact that Aaron Rodgers got a haircut. Welcome to #Packers Twitter

:-D

QBME
09-11-2022, 03:29 AM
Arthur Shelby from Peaky Blinders.

Bingo!!!

Fritz
09-11-2022, 08:07 AM
Watson will play Sunday.

But apparently neither Bakh nor Jenkins will.

Is Bakh done?

Joemailman
09-11-2022, 08:13 AM
Who's gonna start the Game Day thread? I started the Game Day thread thread in Week 1 last year, and we know how that went. Therefore, I have self-banned myself.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2022, 02:55 PM
Self banning requires you to punch yourself in the balls. Not that we will know but you will find redemption.