PDA

View Full Version : Question about OG?

Tony Oday
09-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Dont the packers have a history of getting rid of Guards when they start getting big contracts? My thoughts are of Timmerman, Andruzzie and of course Whale and Rivera. Thoughts?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, Timmerman we only had for about two years and then we cut him, so he was playing on a rookie contract. Rivera wasn't resined because he was to old. Whale could be debated for hours, And Andruzzie I'm not sure about him. The only one that was a contract problem I think was whale, Could be wrong though.

Bretsky
09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
We didn't cut Timmerman; he signed a big bucks deal with the Rams and left via free agency

Joemailman
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I believe thet finally released Andruzzi because he couldn't stay healthy at that time.

Bretsky
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I believe thet finally released Andruzzi because he couldn't stay healthy at that time.

I think you are right Joe cause I thought letting him go was not a good move; but we had depth back then. Now he's aged, but he'd still prolly be our best interior lineman

esoxx
09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Dont the packers have a history of getting rid of Guards when they start getting big contracts? My thoughts are of Timmerman, Andruzzie and of course Whale and Rivera. Thoughts?

Yes, they did let OG's go. However, Wolf always seemed to have someone there to fill the positions. I doubt he lets Timmerman walk w/o Rivera there or Verba leaves without Wahle present. That is part of the genius of Ron Wolf, he always seemed to have capable replacements and that speaks to his drafting abilities. Unlike Sherman, who in 3 or 4 drafts produced one lineman of starting caliber (Wells).

TT is messing up big time with his handling of the guard situation. To let both Wahle and Rivera walk with no discernible game plan for replacing them was, and still is, disasterous.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Wolf and TT's philosophy is you don't pay big for OGs. Like it or not, they don't hide it.

Wolf: He wasn't great at finding linemen thru the draft either. Wahle was a tackle that was a bust. John Michels=bust. What he was good at was finding stopgap players (Tootie, Wilkerson, Arthur, Galbreath, Dellenbach) that could fill in.

Course free agency was a lot different back then.

esoxx
09-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Of course Wolf drafted some busts on the OL, as does any GM in the league. However, he was very good at drafting OL with the likes of Taylor, Wahle, Rivera, Clifton, Flanigan, Tauscher, Timmerman, Dotson...even Verba when he left signed a big money deal with Cleveland. Pretty good drafting of OL I would say.

Wolf famously said he would never put "stumblebums" in front of Brett Favre as long as he was there. He made OL a priority. TT has made it an after thought.