PDA

View Full Version : The O Line

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2022, 05:54 PM
I've never had much good to say about the Packers O Line, and I've mostly tried to shut up about what I thought of them - and their lack of importance - in the many many games the Packers win.

The Packers generally have been - and absolutely should be - a pass first team, with the passing game setting up a relatively few change of pace runs. And mediocrity of the O Line - which IMO we have literally always had with or without Bakhtiari - doesn't do any real harm most of the time against most teams. If the pass blocking drops to worse than mediocre, though, as it did with damn Hanson at Guard and Newman at Tackle, then it can at times do harm. And the primary purpose of the O Line - IMO, opening holes for those change of pace runs, which shouldn't be that tough, just didn't get done in this game. Jenkins was so good at Guard in the run game, so what are they gonna do? Move him out to Tackle where he was mediocre like the rest of the line. Bakhtiari - the "Sacred Cow" to many in here - was never that good anyway. Nijman did as good in the run game and pass blocking as he did, or at least it seemed that way because we mostly ran inside and because Rodgers even in this game was good at avoiding the outside pass rush. But you put a real stinker like Hanson at Guard, and the pass rush is tough enough that even Rodgers can't beat it, especially without Adams to unload it to quick.

I see we brought Caleb Jones up to the 53. Hopefully he is an improvement over Newman at RT and Newman at least gets damned Hanson off the field ....... but somehow, I don't think they do that. We'll probably see too much of Hanson at G and Newman at T again. Runyan, according to what I heard, passed concussion protocol and could have come back in right there during the game. Why they held him out, who knows. If that's true, he would seem to be ready to play next week.

I still say what I've always said: the Packers O Line is mediocre, but that's all we really need. This last game, though, it dropped below the normal mediocre level.

The golden example of that mediocrity was that 4th and 1 goal line play. Just about any other team can line up, push 'em back a little bit, and get the yard. I knew damn well our line couldn't. Last year, they usually threw to Adams in that situation. They handed it to Dillon who slammed into the retreating butts of his linemen - predictably.

RashanGary
09-13-2022, 07:56 PM
When the Packers OL stinks, Rodgers stinks.

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2022, 09:17 PM
Not necessarily. The O Line IMO has never been better than mediocre in pass protection. They've had a few good games for run blocking. They've also stunk it up some games where Rodgers still brought home a win. I'd say Rodgers has never stunk if the standard is every other QB in the league, although he has stunk a few times compared to his usual self.

Upnorth
09-13-2022, 09:23 PM
Not necessarily. The O Line IMO has never been better than mediocre in pass protection. They've had a few good games for run blocking. They've also stunk it up some games where Rodgers still brought home a win. I'd say Rodgers has never stunk if the standard is every other QB in the league, although he has stunk a few times compared to his usual self.

E all know you think our oline is only average at best the last few seasons. That is opposite what every other analyst says. It is opposite what most here think.
In the Vikings game you saw our line play poorly. And rodgers got happy feet and missed open receivers.

RashanGary
09-13-2022, 09:56 PM
The Vikings game this year, SF last year. Tampa the year before. When the OL isn’t right, Rodgers isn’t right.

pittstang5
09-14-2022, 09:30 AM
The golden example of that mediocrity was that 4th and 1 goal line play. Just about any other team can line up, push 'em back a little bit, and get the yard. I knew damn well our line couldn't. Last year, they usually threw to Adams in that situation. They handed it to Dillon who slammed into the retreating butts of his linemen - predictably.

Doesn't help that they lined up in a shotgun formation if I remember correctly on that play. I remember them doing that quite a few times last year on 4th and short and running it and getting nowhere. OR maybe I'm just remembering all the times it didn't work. Whatever. In a short yardage situation, with Dillon, regardless of the scrubs on the o-line, you should be able to at least get that 1 yard. Line up in an "I" formation and pound the damn rock. Who cares if the Defense knows you're running the ball - make them stop you.

bobblehead
09-14-2022, 09:57 PM
I didn't read your post. Assume it said something like "this is all on Rodgers cuz he doesn't need OL and I never gave them a lick of credit."

Or

"I was wrong all along and Rodgers can't do it all himself."

Must be one of those 2.

sharpe1027
09-15-2022, 12:10 PM
E all know you think our oline is only average at best the last few seasons. That is opposite what every other analyst says. It is opposite what most here think.
In the Vikings game you saw our line play poorly. And rodgers got happy feet and missed open receivers.

I would guess the difference is Tex sets the bar arbitrarily based on his opinion versus the analyst who are ranking relative to other teams.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2022, 02:14 PM
Seems like the shitheads are banding together.

After last week's game especially, is anybody seriously gonna say our O Line ain't mediocre? And that being an obvious truth, if O Line is all that important as a position, HOW did we go 13-3 and 13-4 the past two seasons - and most of it without the ol' "sacred cow"?

Answers, any of ya'all?

RashanGary
09-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Our OL has been mediocre since Bakh went down and got worse when Jenkins went down. The future looks bright, but right now they sure are mediocre.

run pMc
09-15-2022, 02:50 PM
The OL played poorly. They started Hanson at RG, Newman at RT, and eventually Tom at LG. Going in that was not a recipe for success against Hunter and Smith, and anyone thinking that was a better than mediocre line was being optimistic.
If you get two of Runyan, Bahk and Jenkins back in the lineup that improves things considerably both with pass and run blocking.

They got to 13 wins the last two seasons because they had a talented roster, and because Rodgers played at MVP level with an OL that kept him upright most of the time. He also didn't have two rookies and a new FA in Watkins as major parts of the receiving group.
Finally, they won by giving Jones/Dillon at least 25 touches per game (there's actually a stat about that one acmepacking posted).

On Sunday the OL didn't block well, they didn't call enough runs for Jones, and Rodgers played poorly (bad anticipation, his timing was off, he missed open receivers several times). They can fix some of those issues, and getting healthy on the OL would help.

They'll play better. Rodgers looked rusty and I think after they watch this film you'd hope a lot of lessons will be learned.

sharpe1027
09-15-2022, 04:40 PM

After last week's game especially, is anybody seriously gonna say our O Line ain't mediocre? And that being an obvious truth, if O Line is all that important as a position, HOW did we go 13-3 and 13-4 the past two seasons - and most of it without the ol' "sacred cow"?

Answers, any of ya'all?

Rodger's played like shit last week, but I'm not judging him on that game alone.

If you think everyone else is a shithead, maybe it's you.

texaspackerbacker
09-15-2022, 04:45 PM
Typical. Dumbshits can't answer questions when asked.

MadScientist
09-15-2022, 06:41 PM
Tex, are you sure the OLine performance qualifies as mediocre? I'd put them a step or two below that. Rodgers did them no favors, but they did Rodgers no favors either.

Rastak
09-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Looks like Bak is still limping. Not sure how PFF graded the Pack OL.

https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1570128072510259200

CaptainKickass
09-15-2022, 09:26 PM
Caleb Jones as a fullback or third tight end would flatten opposing linemen and bulldoze ultra-wide clearings for new construction neighborhoods to be built while AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones rack up historical yardage in his literal wake.

Remember Ahman Green and the U71 run package? Yeah. This would make that seem like your nephew's 8th grade flag football tournament played on the original N64.

Now imagine some combination of David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Caleb Jones, Yosh Nijman, Marcedes Lewis, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom literally paving the way to the Superbowl.

That's right. I said it.

Joemailman
09-16-2022, 03:24 PM
Now imagine some combination of David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Caleb Jones, Yosh Nijman, Marcedes Lewis, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom literally paving the way to the Superbowl.

That's right. I said it.

https://mockup-api.teespring.com/v3/image/Psl5xROY9KM9pq6RXhJlZb5P3Cw/800/800.jpg

Teamcheez1
09-16-2022, 03:35 PM
Bakh is done. They are stuck paying a huge some of money they should have never agreed to. He will be gone by next season.

I’m sick and tired of the constant complaints about the Jordan Love draft pick. Bakh and his contract screwed this team over a lot more.

bobblehead
09-16-2022, 07:37 PM

Answers, any of ya'all?

Of course we will tex. I'll even say they were crap. But you are the one who has claimed endlessly that they have always been crap but rodgers made them look great. I can only assume you now think Rodgers has lost his edge and needs to retire

bobblehead
09-16-2022, 07:40 PM

I'll answer it. It does not matter a bit if they played poorly because you have assured us all that its irrelevant. As such the only conclusion is that Rodgers played an absolutely piss poor game. Does that answer your question?

texaspackerbacker
09-16-2022, 09:36 PM
What question was that an answer to? oh yeah, HOW did we win 26 out of 33 games with what you say was a "crap" O Line? (I just called it mediocre.) It sort of sounds like you're saying Aaron Rodgers was the answer to HOW. Yes, I concur with that.

Upnorth
09-17-2022, 09:04 AM
I will say that was the worst I have seen our oline play since I don't know when, nfccg vs Tampa maybe?. But they werent the only problem. When they gave ok protection a few opportunities were missed. And they did fine run blocking, but the game plan didn't reflect that. If they would have ran a bit more then the pass pro would have been better. That dropped ball on the first play had an over exaggerated impact on the rest of the game.

RashanGary
09-17-2022, 12:39 PM
The OL was good in 2019 and 2020. So that’s how they won 26 games. In 2021 the OL was mediocre but the defense was solid and 12, 33, 17 was a nice pairing.

sharpe1027
09-17-2022, 01:24 PM

I answered your question, though I don't expect you to understand. You dumb shit shithead combo.

bobblehead
09-17-2022, 01:30 PM
What question was that an answer to? oh yeah, HOW did we win 26 out of 33 games with what you say was a "crap" O Line? (I just called it mediocre.) It sort of sounds like you're saying Aaron Rodgers was the answer to HOW. Yes, I concur with that.

So you are saying this is the SAME OL that we have had for the last 3 years? Strange. I remember an OLine of Bak, Jenkins, Lindsy, Turner, Bulaga not long ago. You said they were mediocre and it was all rodgers.

Our OL sunday was Yosh, runyan/tom, myers, Hanson, Newman. They were crap and Rodgers was Crap. In fairness Yosh was good. The others were crap. Tex, if I said the QB in Miami played shitty sunday you would claim I said Marino was a shitty QB.

run pMc
09-17-2022, 04:10 PM

I answered you in post #11.
To save you time, this is the relevant part:

They got to 13 wins the last two seasons because they had a talented roster, and because Rodgers played at MVP level with an OL that kept him upright most of the time. He also didn't have two rookies and a new FA in Watkins as major parts of the receiving group.
Finally, they won by giving Jones/Dillon at least 25 touches per game (there's actually a stat about that one acmepacking posted).

You could also say they won because the defense could pressure QBs and cover WRs, but I'm not sure I want to give Pettine/Barry that much credit.

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2022, 06:58 PM
So you are saying this is the SAME OL that we have had for the last 3 years? Strange. I remember an OLine of Bak, Jenkins, Lindsy, Turner, Bulaga not long ago. You said they were mediocre and it was all rodgers.

Our OL sunday was Yosh, runyan/tom, myers, Hanson, Newman. They were crap and Rodgers was Crap. In fairness Yosh was good. The others were crap. Tex, if I said the QB in Miami played shitty sunday you would claim I said Marino was a shitty QB.

How many of the 33 regular season games the past two years did Bakhtiari play? How many of the 13 of 17 last season did Jenkins play? Not many in either case.

Myers is a damn good player, and Jenkins was damn good at Guard too. The inside run game looked really good with them at those spots. We've never had a decent outside running game with Bakhtiari and various guys on the other side. And whethr ya'all agree or not, and I suppose ya'all sacred cow worshippers do not, pass blocking has never been more than mediocre and overrated by the media, etc.. However, Aaron Rodgers never needed more than mediocre to excell and win 26 of 33 in the regular season. And yeah, as somebody said, and I actually agree, a few times the O Line play has dipped below mediocre - last week, the Tampa playoff game, etc., and then even Rodgers was not able to bail them out.

"an OLine of Bak, Jenkins, Lindsy, Turner, Bulaga not long ago" - yes, I did say they were mediocre as pass blockers, and I don't recall much success in the run game with them either. Rodgers was pressured on virtually every pass play, but he still made it work the great majority of the time.

call_me_ishmael
09-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Who played left tackle for the Packers last year most of the year? I am drawing a blank.

Joemailman
09-17-2022, 08:41 PM
Who played left tackle for the Packers last year most of the year? I am drawing a blank.

Jenkins and then Nijman when Jenkins got hurt. Then Billy Taylor in the playoff game.

call_me_ishmael
09-17-2022, 09:20 PM
Jenkins and then Nijman when Jenkins got hurt. Then Billy Taylor in the playoff game.

So it was Nijman for most of the season? Didn't Jenkins get hurt midseason?

They did pretty dang good last year for such a banged up line. Josh Myers was out quite a bit too. Man, those lines in 2014 and then 2020 were something else. Some of the best lines ever.

Joemailman
09-17-2022, 09:53 PM
That 2020 line with Bakh at LT, Jenkins at LG and Linsley at C was insanely good. They could run in the red zone against anybody.

Joemailman
09-18-2022, 08:01 AM
Jenkins and Nijman each started 8 games. Bakhtiari started the last game at Detroit. Myers started 6 games.