PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ref stat

Upnorth
09-20-2022, 07:29 PM
https://twitter.com/AcCOUNTableRefs/status/1482056401937735685?s=20&t=6oq6gvGVrot0g0Dxx69djQ

Fritz
09-21-2022, 01:12 PM
Well, two games is a small sample size. I'd guess by game eight we'll see a truer trend line - see who is really benefitting and who is not.

Upnorth
09-21-2022, 03:35 PM
Sorry, that was from the 2021 whole regular season. I got into an arguement with some idiots about how the packers were propped up.by the refs and that was the evidence given. Apparently if it wasn't for the refs the vikings were as good as the packers last year, or so they argued. I thought it was I interesting and shared it here.
My counter arguement was that a less than 50% win probability benefit over 16 games was around 3% per game. Which does not show clear bias even if you assume the worst. My next point was that if this does show bias it still doesnt make sense, as the vikings should be the worst as they are clearly the most hated team by everyone.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2022, 04:04 PM
That chart doesn't address at all the idea that probably the huge majority of penalties are justified. Some teams just get more because they deserve more. Commentators like to use the term "self inflicted" for a lot of harm done by penalties. I get as pissed off as just about anybody over officiating bias in some sports - the NBA probably being the worst, and even worse a decade or two ago than now. However, I just don't see that pattern of bias in the NFL - just occasional incompetence in the form of blown calls.

run pMc
09-21-2022, 05:50 PM
the vikings should be the worst as they are clearly the most hated team by everyone

LMAO

smuggler
09-22-2022, 07:38 AM
In order to compete with a better team, you have to skirt the boundary of what is legal. Teams with less talent, less discipline, and less to lose will be penalized more.