PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds, Suckaneers, 2022.

George Cumby
09-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Studs:

Run D
Kenny Clark
Campbell

Duds:

Offensive offense

RashanGary
09-25-2022, 06:59 PM
Romeo Doubs could be our Justin Jefferson. Looks just like him.

Joemailman
09-25-2022, 07:44 PM
I don't know if Amos was a stud, but this was his best game. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

O'Donnell had almost a 50 yards average, and 5 inside the 20.

Lazard had a TD, picked well on Doubs' TD, and recovered the onside kick.

texaspackerbacker
09-25-2022, 07:46 PM
There was hardly anybody who wasn't BOTH stud and dud at one time or another in that game.

I'm tempted to call Stokes a stud because they didn't seem to throw it his way all day - or maybe he was just so far out of position the camera couldn't see him. Amos made some great plays, but it seemed like he was out of position at times too. Nixon played decent for a back up but got beat a few times too. This was by far the best I've seen Quay Walker play. Gary was in there on the QB all day, but mostly it was near misses. Campbell was excellent, Clark too. The D in general didn't have the missed tackles like last week, but at times they still got pushed around and beat for plays.

Rodgers had what would have been a great day for just about anybody else, but it was below his standard, and he got fooled on that interception. Neither Jones nor Dillon were very good, but mostly that was piss poor O Line blocking. As somebody said, for a guy as big and strong-looking as he is, Dillon sure doesn't seem to run very striong. Lazard was good within the limitations of what he can do, but he ain't gonna get open deep hardly ever. Cobb had one great play and disappeared the rest of the time. Doubs looked excellent early, but apparently he wasn't getting open in the second half either. Tonyan did fairly good in the role they used him, but he seldom got really open.

Is anybody still gonna claim our O Line is any better than mediocre? I really really wish they would play Jenkins at Guard. Again today, he sucked at Tackle. Bakhtiari made a good run block early, but other than that, he didn't do much, and he got beat numerous times in pass protection. Anybody other than Rodgers would have been sacked a dozen times.

Special teams didn't lose the game, which is about all you can ask. They rose to the level of average for an average team. I'm pleased to be wrong or whatever about Rudy Ford as a gunner. With the enhanced roster and less restrictions, I guess they can afford to use a roster spot for somebody like him. I still say, though, a special teams coach should be able to coach up just about any DB or WR to do that good as a gunner.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2022, 01:22 AM
I concur with Tex about moving the Fucking Center back inside. Fucking Center is a good guard; a mediocre tackle.

Or trade the Fucking Center to Seattle for DK Metcalf.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2022, 01:29 AM
ST pimped out. The running into the punter flag was dogshit. I aint a rules expert like that Italian, Mike Pereira, but the Packer was pushed into the kicker!

Rodgers actually looked like Mr. Hyde out there returning punts. Hyde was a sloth but he found ways to score twice, I believe.

Upnorth
09-26-2022, 08:57 AM
The first drive our oline played ok.
From there out no push on run block and I bet rodgers was under pressure 80% of the time.
Our oline is not mediocre, it is bad.
Until that gets fixed we will be a defense led team.
Dud, oline.
Stud jones and Joe barry our d. I can't fault anyone on d, Barry is better than I ever could have thought. I expected us to be a bottom 5 d with barry, boy was I wrong. And I think special teams looked better than I can remember.

If rodgers had time to throw our wr will be unbelievable. They looked open time and again against a top 3 secondary. If 12 had time we would have got 30 easy.
We need help.bad on the oline.

RashanGary
09-26-2022, 09:05 AM
That was an an outstanding Bucs defense we faced. Bakh and Jenkins are knocking off the rust and still getting their legs under them. The interior is still getting cohesion. With some health luck the OL has a chance to be a lot better by seasons end.

Joemailman
09-26-2022, 09:10 AM
We won't know how good the offensive line is until they get set on a lineup. 3 games. 3 different offensive lines. They were good enough to be dominating the 1st half until Jones fumbled, even though they didn't have a deep threat that the Bucs defense had to worry about.

Added quarterback Aaron Rodgers: “It was an interesting idea, but it obviously worked out. Dave looked like he felt good. The protection, I thought, was great. I got hit maybe three or four times, with one sack. Thats kind of a dream type of day, especially against that front on the road, so really great job by the guys up front and hopefully Dave is feeling better and can play a little bit more next week.”

Upnorth
09-26-2022, 09:21 AM
We won't know how good the offensive line is until they get set on a lineup. 3 games. 3 different offensive lines. They were good enough to be dominating the 1st half until Jones fumbled, even though they didn't have a deep threat that the Bucs defense had to worry about.

I'm reading what rodgers says but my mind is telling me he is either still high from the wind or being nice.
I think if our line improves (and dillion starts following his blocks) we win the Superbowl.
Outside of the oline we looked great this game. If 12 could have the time to setup and go through processions we would have looked great.

Upnorth
09-26-2022, 09:22 AM
Oh, stud cobb, his one run after catch, wow
Dud tonyon.

Just read that doubs was 8 for 8.... That is nuts vs that secondary.

George Cumby
09-26-2022, 10:33 AM
I had this one chalked up as a loss.

Getting out of Tampa with a win is, well, a win.

There's actually a lot of positive takeaways from this game.

How long before Doubs is the #1? The kid is fucking lights out.

Fritz
09-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Oh, stud cobb, his one run after catch, wow
Dud tonyon.

Just read that doubs was 8 for 8.... That is nuts vs that secondary.

I have always been a Robert Tonyan fan, and two years ago he was incredible. But he looks slow now, doesn't he? Kind of lumbering.

Same with AJ Dillon - he doesn't look as good this year. He doesn't bowl anyone over at all any more and doesn't get much with a good cut like he did last year.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2022, 12:26 PM
I don't think the O Line was dominant even the first 2 or 3 drives. They opened a couple of holes on runs, but mostly it was Jones being shifty and avoiding tacklers. There was little or no time for Rodgers to throw even then, but he was hitting those quick mostly short routes. The adjustment by Tampa was taking the short stuff away, assuming Rodgers wouldn't have time to throw it deeper.

Dillon probably is somehow not as good as last year, but mostly it's the O Line and Tampa's D. I expect him to look a little better in other games, but I've never like Dillon remotely as much as Jones.

I think Tonyan looked pretty decent. It's just the role he needed to play didn't call for him to get open downfield. He had to stay in and help pass block.

Doubs was super, and I think he will get better yet in games where they can throw it downfield more. I still think Watson will be better yet, though.

run pMc
09-26-2022, 05:27 PM
Tonyan was being interfered with on the Rodgers pick -- and Rodgers was looking for a flag. Aside from that Rodgers played pretty well.

Before we rag on the offense too much, keep in mind that TB defense is no joke -- they are the best in the NFC and possibly the league. They don't really have any weak areas and that front seven has depth, talent and speed to burn. Dallas scored 3 points and NO scored 10 on them, both HOME games. GB scored 14 on them on the road and should've had more if Jones doesn't fumble and Tipa doesn't get a phantom penalty on ST.

The OL couldn't get the run game going, but they kept Rodgers from taking a beating on 35 dropbacks. LaFleur didn't completely abandon the run.

That said, the biggest studs were

1. Bisaccia and ST -- The Maurice Drayton edition of ST would have lost that game. O'Donnell had FIVE punts inside the 20 with 0 touchbacks. Field position mattered in a game where Brady had backups to throw to and they couldn't run. Speaking of which...
2. Run Defense. Fournette is not an easy out, and they kept him to a long run of 6 yards. SIX!
3. Keisean Nixon: played great on ST and in the slot after Jaire went out. Dude signed a $1M contract with no guaranteed money; they got their money's worth today. He was covering Perriman (who ran a 4.26 at the 2015 combine) today and looked good enough.
4. Defense in general. Tom Brady has made chicken salad from chicken shit receivers before (David Patton? David Givens? Chris Hogan? Philip Dorsett?) and we were all nervous when he was driving downfield at the 2 minute warning. Getting a stop on defense was big...nice to see that happen. Since 2008, Rodgers has now won FOUR games when they've scored 14 points or less. (They did it twice in 2010.)

Honorable mentions for
Doubs (first career TD) and for the ghost of Randall Cobb, showing wheels we didn't think he had.
Kenny Clark had 2 sacks, Gary was a problem for their patchwork OL too.

Also, for Bahktiari. For missing so much football he could've looked a lot worse. Njiman played well too, but if his knee responds ok he'll be a big boost to the OL.

Duds
That prevent D at the end of the game. Hey, at least they didn't pull a Dan Campbell and give the game away.
OL struggled to run, and that second half offense was disjointed. They have good things to takeaway from a win, but they have plenty to clean up.

texaspackerbacker
09-27-2022, 10:20 AM
Very Studly Post

George Cumby
09-27-2022, 11:07 AM
+1

Great post, run.

RashanGary
09-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Packers defense currently ranks 6th in yards allowed and 6th in points allowed.

bobblehead
09-27-2022, 12:31 PM
I have always been a Robert Tonyan fan, and two years ago he was incredible. But he looks slow now, doesn't he? Kind of lumbering.

Same with AJ Dillon - he doesn't look as good this year. He doesn't bowl anyone over at all any more and doesn't get much with a good cut like he did last year.

We have played some solid fast defenses. We came away with 2 wins and our standard stinker of an opener. Dillon and Tonyan will be major pieces.

bobblehead
09-27-2022, 12:37 PM
That prevent D at the end of the game. Hey, at least they didn't pull a Dan Campbell and give the game away.
OL struggled to run, and that second half offense was disjointed. They have good things to takeaway from a win, but they have plenty to clean up.

Good overall post, but I want to focus on this one point. We played soft D I can only assume to "avoid the quick score".

But to be honest, that was the WORST decision possible. Given a choice between Brady burning us on a deep shot and then tying the game with 2 minutes left or marching down the field and tying it with 4 seconds left, which is the obvious choice? I want Rodgers to get the ball back. FFS, why play soft in that situation when you have stonewalled them all game long? Why allow him to get the ball inside the redzone with little time left? Roll with the defense you stumped him with all game long and if he takes a deep shot and burns you, give Rodgers a CHANCE to win with a FG.

RashanGary
09-27-2022, 01:09 PM
Lafleur having flashbacks of the Kevin king debacle I assume. Playing soft was the wrong move.

run pMc
09-27-2022, 04:02 PM
Good overall post, but I want to focus on this one point. We played soft D I can only assume to "avoid the quick score".

But to be honest, that was the WORST decision possible. Given a choice between Brady burning us on a deep shot and then tying the game with 2 minutes left or marching down the field and tying it with 4 seconds left, which is the obvious choice? I want Rodgers to get the ball back. FFS, why play soft in that situation when you have stonewalled them all game long? Why allow him to get the ball inside the redzone with little time left? Roll with the defense you stumped him with all game long and if he takes a deep shot and burns you, give Rodgers a CHANCE to win with a FG.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. You have them starting at their own 10, I'd at least pressure them on the first play or two to see if you could put them in a desperate situation. Even Brady will throw one up for grabs.
Worst case is Scotty Miller burns you and Rodgers gets the ball back. Well, worst case is Miller goes 90 yards and they recover the onside kick. What Barry did isn't inexcusable, but it's a little too soft, especially when you consider what's worked all game and the fact that you're facing Tom freaking Brady. They surrendered yards too easily -- and too quickly -- on that drive IMO.

I heard the big Fournette gain on that drive was a miscommunication. That's a concern.
Either way, as others have posted, any win in Tampa is a big win. Hard to win in Florida in September, and they've had the Packers' number lately.