PDA

View Full Version : AJ Dillon, 2022

George Cumby
09-26-2022, 10:57 AM
So lots of chatter about Dillon and his regression in multiple threads; enough I thought it merited its' own thread.

I loved the pick and I've loved his play the last two years, but I am alarmed by what I'm seeing and I don't think it's all attributable to the O-Line.

Here's what I see:

He looks smaller.

He lacks the burst and power he had his first two seasons.

He's not moving the pile as much.

He still hesitates before making his cuts.

Thoughts?

Sparkey
09-26-2022, 11:00 AM
So lots of chatter about Dillon and his regression in multiple threads; enough I thought it merited its' own thread.

I loved the pick and I've loved his play the last two years, but I am alarmed by what I'm seeing and I don't think it's all attributable to the O-Line.

Here's what I see:

He looks smaller.

He lacks the burst and power he had his first two seasons.

He's not moving the pile as much.

He still hesitates before making his cuts.

Thoughts?

Take "Keep getting Rolled" Royce off the line and things would be better. He is not going to look good when guys are at his feet in the backfield.

beveaux1
09-26-2022, 11:37 AM
I think Dillon is fine. Let the weather change and he’s the guy you want. Bucs are tough to run on. Jones really didn’t do any better.

call_me_ishmael
09-26-2022, 11:38 AM
AJO runs harder IMO - certainly relative to his size. Dillon is not Eddy Lacy.

run pMc
09-26-2022, 05:53 PM
They are running some different plays -- a bit more pin-and-pull stuff, and I wonder if that's not Dillon's cup of tea. I don't have proof, but it feels like he's been a little too patient (too slow?) with some reads and he just needs to be more aggressive/decisive.

I need more time before I worry, so far it's been

Game 1 - both backs productive, negligently underused
Game 2 - Jones goes off, Dillon does... ok
Game 3 - Nobody gains any yards

Jones has played like a man possessed and is going to make it hard for Gute to cut him for cap savings. Jones is also a more dynamic player. They have different play styles.
Dillon's not bad though - I like him better than Jamaal Williams as the backup RB. Nobody in their right mind will play a 6 man box with Dillon in the game on an early down.

red
09-26-2022, 06:29 PM
i mentioned in the GDT that it sure looks like jones is running a lot harder than dillon

did anyone else see the one moment later in the game. jones just had a nice carry and i think 3rd and 2 was coming up. jones was heading back to the huddle when he looked over and saw dillon coming in, he looked back towards the huddle and almost looked like he rolled his eyes, then headed towards the sideline.

he did not look happy to be coming out of the game at that point.

the 2 headed monster might not be as popular with both players as we think it is. and the way the two are plying so far this year, i don't blame jones one bit if he is ticked off at having to split carries

Bretsky
09-26-2022, 07:40 PM
i mentioned in the GDT that it sure looks like jones is running a lot harder than dillon

did anyone else see the one moment later in the game. jones just had a nice carry and i think 3rd and 2 was coming up. jones was heading back to the huddle when he looked over and saw dillon coming in, he looked back towards the huddle and almost looked like he rolled his eyes, then headed towards the sideline.

he did not look happy to be coming out of the game at that point.

the 2 headed monster might not be as popular with both players as we think it is. and the way the two are plying so far this year, i don't blame jones one bit if he is ticked off at having to split carries

Jones just scored like 20 TD's recently; he's a very good short yardage and goal line back.

AJ Dillon should not be replacing AJO; he should be in there with him to offer multiple options

RashanGary
09-26-2022, 08:05 PM
Dillon is gonna be fine. He pass blocks, catches the ball and runs pretty well. Jones is small and has a hard time staying healthy. Keep them fresh rotate.

But Jones is better.

texaspackerbacker
09-27-2022, 09:35 AM
Yes, not only is Jones better, but his type of back is better than Dillon's type. It's nice to have both though.

Pollard > Ezekial Elliot, Cook > Madison, even Khakik Herbert > Montgomery ...... probably a lot of others too

Fritz
09-27-2022, 09:50 AM
I think what is worrisome is that Dillon is not moving the pile at all right now. It's not like he's tired from the long season - it's game three. Even last week he was not pushing the pile forward like he did last year. If it was third-and-two last year I wanted Dillon to get the handoff. But this year Jones is running much harder and getting more tough yards.

So it seems to me.

call_me_ishmael
09-27-2022, 10:07 AM
They are running some different plays -- a bit more pin-and-pull stuff, and I wonder if that's not Dillon's cup of tea. I don't have proof, but it feels like he's been a little too patient (too slow?) with some reads and he just needs to be more aggressive/decisive.

I need more time before I worry, so far it's been

Game 1 - both backs productive, negligently underused
Game 2 - Jones goes off, Dillon does... ok
Game 3 - Nobody gains any yards

Jones has played like a man possessed and is going to make it hard for Gute to cut him for cap savings. Jones is also a more dynamic player. They have different play styles.
Dillon's not bad though - I like him better than Jamaal Williams as the backup RB. Nobody in their right mind will play a 6 man box with Dillon in the game on an early down.

Good post. I agree on both accounts. I like him _a lot_ better than JWill as well, but I also expected a lot better. I really thought Dillon could be a battering ram top 10 back kind of guy. I don't see it thus far this year.

I guessed I hoped/assumed he'd be more Eddie Lacy than Gwen Stacy.

texaspackerbacker
09-27-2022, 10:09 AM
I agree with you, Fritz, he does seem different, less effective this year, but mostly it's the O Line not blocking good - as I always said and people always disagreed about. Dillon mostly runs into the retreating butts of the linemen where Jones jump cuts and sometimes can get away.

BTW, there's so much criticism in here of running from the shotgun on short yardage. Did any of ya'all see the Michigan game where Corum, an Aaron Jones type runner, bounced off the line and took it to the house on a short yardage play like that.

I say again, I want to see Jones in the wildcat with Dillon right beside him on a read option play - like the Badgers ran with Braelon Allen last week.

George Cumby
09-27-2022, 11:09 AM
I think what is worrisome is that Dillon is not moving the pile at all right now. It's not like he's tired from the long season - it's game three. Even last week he was not pushing the pile forward like he did last year. If it was third-and-two last year I wanted Dillon to get the handoff. But this year Jones is running much harder and getting more tough yards.

So it seems to me.

Again, he [I]looks[I] smaller.

His first two years he was this imposing presence on the field, this season, he looks markedly smaller.

wthigoot
09-28-2022, 02:53 PM
Keep Jones and Dillon but don't play them together. Get a guy like William Henderson to do the blocking. Not sure there is a real fullback on the team right now.