PDA

View Full Version : Larry McCarren chat 9/14

GBRulz
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Chat with Larry McCarren

Former Packers lineman and current radio and television broadcaster Larry McCarren chatted with PackersNews.com members' from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 14.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, let's get started. LM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, Phoenix AZ: This is probably more of a statement than a questions but I am so disappointed that the Packers signed Korin Robinson. Does character matter at all anymore? Is the top brass desperate at this point that they will sign bad characters to try not to be the worst football team in the league?

LM: The Robinson signing certainly carries risk but Ted Thompson ought to know just how risky better than anyone. I had a chance to talk with Robinson one on one today and he comes off as a guy who's sincere about beating his demons. That doesn't excuse what he's done but talent buys people a lot of chances and I can understand why Thompson is taking this one.

Zach, cos cob, CT: Although the Packers were anemic on offense, I believe that we played better than the score represented. Do you foresee a significant offensive improvement against the saints this weekend, or are we really as bad as 26-0?

LM: If there's not significant improvement against a non-world beating defense, we could be in for a very long season.

DeBauche, Bolivar, MO: Larry, I am real tired of hearing all about this "REBUILDING MODE." Isn't the reason why we have an "Executive Committee, President, and GM" is to be sure that in this day and age of the "Salary Cap" that we have individuals in place of decision-making that are proactive in regard to this dilemma? If Sherman was a bad hire,which I agree, then the ultimate responsibilty belongs with the Executive Committee. Therefore, as royal Packer backer for over fifty years, how do we hold the Executive, President, and GM accountable?

LM: With the NFL set up the way it is, the pendulum will swing the other way eventually. Just look around the rest of the league. The fact that the Packers maintained a level of success (until last season, they hadn't had a losing one since '91) as long as they had earns the administration a little time to go through the rebuilding process,

Tim Jacobson, Wausau, Wi: Larry, would you please comment on the negative view the public has of Ted Thompson? How many years typically should a GM be given to turn a franchise around? Thank you.

LM: I would think you should start to see the arrow pointing up after 3 years. Not contending for a title necessarily, but defintely a team that's on the rise.

Ryan Whalen, Prairie du Chien WI.: Don't you think Koren Robinson will go to jail when he goes to court to hear if he violated his terms of probation. I was on probation at one time and if I was even seen with an alcoholic beverage they would have kept me in jail on a probation hold. A high speed chase when you are under the influence, in my town you would be put away for the rest of your probation.

LM: Just today I asked Robinson what he thought all these issues would lead to and he said he really didn't know - leaving it in God's hands. His words. Not being terribly familiar with the laws of the land in the areas where he has impending issues, I don't know how it all is going to end up.

Michael, Los Angeles: How have Bush and Peprah looked in practice? Stud athletes? Is there anything to be excited about there?

LM: OK. Peprah does seem to like to mix it up.

Andrew, Chicago: Larry, Why doesnt Nick Barnett get more national publicity? He is one of the top 5 MLB's in the NFL. He clearly out played his counterpart reigning Defensive player of the year Urlacher this past weekend. Last year he had better stats than anyone and sure he was on a poor team but he still should get recognized. Is there any chance my boy Ted will sign him to a big contract extension before the end of the season? If anyone deserves it it is him.

LM: I also thought Barnett outplayed Urlacher on that particular day. Urlacher had a quiet day while Barnett had 9 tackles, an INT, and a hit on the QB. Good player, I'd be surprised if the Packers don't lock him up long term.

larry, ill.: when will the packers stop handcuffing themselves and unleash their offense? the team is loaded with great talent, use it. stop trying to control Farves' aggressiveness and use it!!!! just as much talent as holmgren had, use it!

LM: I think the offense lacks big play-makers. Brett, if he's protected, Donald Driver, then what. The team isn't blessed with a lot of folks who can change a game. If Ahman Green can still break the long one, he'd be included, but we don't know that he can just yet.

Andrew, Chicago: Larry, I think Nick Collins is a great player but I think he can be so much more if he stops playing so tenativly. Why doesnt Bob Sanders have him take more chances? I think he could be a Ed Reed type player and I think he has the instincts. Is it because of the scheme or because he does not trust Manual? Also, why are we not considering Tyrone Culver? Manual seems like he is good in run support but very questionable in coverage.

LM: Nick Collins has great ability but he's not a great player at this point. Great players make plays. Manuel gets the nod over Culver because of experience and a track record that says he'll play better. We should remember he's in a new system and he missed most of camp.

Randy, Onalaska, WI: Scott Wells. I saw him pushed back a couple of times Sunday. Also read he graded out second best OLman. How did he do? How good can he be?

LM: Wells was solid. I thought everbody else in the O-line, including the vets, could have played better.

Joe Kinshaw, Toledo, OH: Since you played a number of years on the offensive line, I value your opinion where it concerns line play. What do we need for our offensive line play to improve?

LM: In the rookies' case, just more playing time. Overall, I think Wells and Tauscher have been solid but the Packers need more out of Clifton.

Mark Johnson, Moline , IL: Larry, while watching the Bears game on Sunday, it seemed to me that as many mistakes were made by our more seasoned lineeman as by our rookies. Realizing that the o-line is a team within a team was this a case of them all performing to the ability of the weakest member?

LM: The best thing any player can do for his team is his own job well. Our veteran O-linemen should keep that in mind. And your right, Sunday's shortcomings were a team effort up front.

STEVE, PENSACOLA, FL.: THESE LAST COUPLE OF MOVES BY TT FEEL LIKE DESPERATION TO ME, YOUR THOUGHTS?

LM: Honestly, no. Ted Thompson is doing what he feels is best for the long term. He's been in the personnel business a long time and knows moves made out of panic rarely succeed.

Larry, Ashland: Larry, I keep hearing that any shortcomings the Packers have is because they are young. On offense we have Favre, Henderson, Driver, Green, Franks, Tauscher, Clifton and Ferguson. On defense there is Kampmann, KGB, Pickett, Barnett, Woodson, Harris and Manuel. A lot of veterns starting on both sides of the ball. Don't you think that is a solid core of veteran players and the focus should be on what we have and not what we do not have? If those players play up to what they have done in the past we should be fielding a competetive team week in and week out. What's your take on this?

LM: You make a good point but the players around those players are young and the depth everywhere is young. When you look at the veterans, there's also a couple who are past their prime. I don't think being "young", however, is a blanket excuse for sloppy play. Getting beat is one thing, beating yourself with mental mistakes, turnovers etc. is another, regardless of age.

Michael, Los Angeles: Should we be concerned about the prospect of Colledge starting at guard this week? How has he looked in practice? Any improvement since training camp? Is there a noticeable drop-off from Spitz?

LM: I think Spitz is the most ready of the Rookie O-linemen and that would be missed. Colledge has improved since his benching and has looked OK at practice. Also, the Saints interior defense is solid, but not near as formidable as the Bears. Sometimes playing good is a matter of who you're playing against.

Jobu, Madison: I know Leach wasn't a great catcher, but I thought he was a force to be reckoned with in blocking. How is it possible, especially with Henderson's health iffy, that Leach was less important that the 4th tight end? Is David Martin really that good of a fullback?

LM: Leach knocked the crap out of Urlacher a couple times Sunday. He's an excellent blocker. I think, to some extent the Packers are shaping the roster like the draft, keeping "the best athletes available." As for Martin, he can play a servicable fullback and he's a much better receiver than Leach. Martin's a better blocker than given credit for and he's managed to stay healthy this season (fingers crossed).

JIm Schorer, Baileys Harbor, WI: You are a very optimistic person when reporting information about the Pack. Great! What is your real take on the performance of Thompson and Coach so far?

LM: I think time will show that Ted Thompson is a good evaluator and at this point, I'm still getting to know Mike McCarthy. Good guy, but I haven't seen enough to know whether he's got the mystical "it" when it comes to getting this team to the promised land. I do like a lot of the things he's done structure and program wise, the guys seem to respond to him, but getting to the top takes a special coach, terrific players and some luck.

Michael Pollesch, Rochester, MN: How does this team compare to the 1992 Packer team? I think both are in similar stages, new GM, new coach, QB of the future on the team, and many young players. I have read much criticism of the coaches not playing Aaron Rodgers. Fans need to remember Favre is still a heck of a player and can teach the young players what it takes to win.

LM: We're 0-1, not 0-8 so the Favre/Rodgers talk is very premature, at least in my mind.

Chuck, Reedville, Virginia: Larry, do you have any insights on Vernand Morency? Is this a solid trade for the Packers?

LM: Morency came off today as a guy with a good attitude and some sudden quickness. That's about all I can say after one practice. He didn't put up anywhere near the numbers that Gado put up as a rookie but Sam wasn't looking like a good fit for the running style they're using.

Connor P, Madison, Wisconsin: Ted Thompson has said he wants "Packer People" on the packers. First he cuts Vonta Leach, a hard working guy to make room for alchoholic Koren Robinson. Then he traded another good, hardworking, and talented player in Samkon Gado. Did Sundays loss to the Bears shake him up so much that he has abandoned his approach?

LM: Talent can and will play an influence on how broad the definition of Packer People gets, and Green Bay certainly hasn't cornered the market in that concern. By the way, Marquand Manuel, who played with Robinson in Seattle, says he's a terrific player AND a terrific guy in the locker room.

brett, bellmawr, nj: hey larry, its so hard watching espn and reading all the power rankings and seeing everyone just bash the packers. I honestly don't think this team is this bad, my dad has tapped packers games everytime they've been on for the past 15 years and i just recently watched the 1998 playoff game against the niners. Those were the glory days, it almost seemed unfair to be that good. But heres the thing if you look the individual positions we still have favre, ahman green is more talented then levens/bennett, i think driver and koren robinson can be almost as good as freeman and brooks, charles woodson and al harris are a better duo then craig newsome and doug evans, and our linebackers have 10X more talent with the exception of brian williams, so is the difference maker really just the offensive line?

LM: It's not that the Packers are totally devoid of players, but they come up short in the difference-maker department. That's not to say some of the young guys (like Jennings or Hawk) can't develop into that kind of player, but right now the Packers aren't blessed with more than a guy or two who can change a game.

Jim Sensenbrenner, Appleton, WI: Charles Woodson has not impressed us with his play and attitude during the preseason. Woodson's poor play in the opener makes us wonder if his injuries have caught up with him to the point that he has lost his ability to be an effective defensive back. With a $40 million contract and $10 million guaranteed, if Woodson is still physically cabable does he have the passion to play aggressively and be a "play-maker"?

LM: Maybe I was out to lunch but I didn't think Woodson was terrible against the Bears. (He was terrible against Cincinnati.) Of course the Packers are paying him to be a play-maker, not just not terrible, and if doesn't start making plays, then it's money mispent.

Mark Oldenburg, Welch, MN born New Richmond, WI: Have to claim WI as my state. Been a fan with the Packers since 1975, Max McGee and Jim Irwin reeled me in. I love your broadcasting, good replacement. Fans are falling to the side rather quick instead of actually reading what Green Bay is going through, we are in the beginning stages of TT and after he put Seattle to the Super Bowl, we are going back. I am hoping Brett stays one more year (final year) fans remember, Steve Young was under Joe Montana for 3 years, Aaron's time will come. In your opinion, do we have a chance at going 500 this year (8-8)? How long does it take for the Offensive Line to learn to work good together, normally?

LM: I'm really not worried about record this year. I'm interested in progress. I know it's a bottom line business, but with this team, I'm measuring progress in progress. Are the young guys getting better, is the team playing with a minimum of mistakes, can you see week-to-week improvement. Those are things I'm looking for.

Jolee, De Pere: The O-line's execution of cut blocking didn't make sense when I saw it in high school ball, and still doesn't make sense to me when watching the Pack. It seems that in trying to cut the d-line's legs out from under them, you sacrifice offensive line potential - the O-guy ends up on the ground unable to contribute to a second block or quarterback protection. Is this the way it is supposed to work, or am I missing something?

LM: Very perceptive. A lot of coaches don't teach "cut" blocking because it is an all or nothing deal. There's nothing wrong with it but you have to do it right. Drive "through" the defenders thigh pad, don't just lay on the ground and hope he falls over you.

CH, Roberts, WI: Do you see Sanders making adjustments (i.e. blitzing) in the scheme to account for the lack of pass rush. Also, do you think they'd consider some 3-4 sets similar to MN last year to shake things up since we appear deep at LB?

LM: They're a 4-3 team, and that will be their base defense all season. You can expect some 3 man lines in passing situations. Did anybody notice they held the Bears to 3.0 a carry last week?

john, elkhart lake,wi: Hi Larry, I was wondering if the packers still give their players written tests before games like they did when mike holmgren was the coach, if not do you think they are a good idea since they seemed to have so many mental errors?

LM: Yes, they still do written tests.

Ryan, The Platteville, Wisconsin: Hey der Larry, first off love da show. Anyways to get to my question, do you think there's even a ray of hope that we can get a wildcard this year. I mean, everyone is sayin how terribled da Pack is, but i disagree. I think Mike was just a little nervous in the play calling the first game and Ahman Green looked like the stud that we all know. The dbacks had an off game, but our run d was pretty stout. And the game would have been different if we didnt give the bears such good field position. I think the mistakes made sunday can be easily fixed and if we can get it together we can turn this baby around. Your thoughts?

LM: I think you're more optimistic than I am. I did think the Defensive line and LB's did a good job versus the run.

Henry Osterbrink, Stevens Point, WI: Larry, please help! I've never been more confused going into a weekend of football than I am this weekend, with all the moves that went on. Now that the Packers have released Vonta Leach, who is going to start at Fullback should William Henderson not be ready to go this weekend or re-injure himself? I've heard some talk of using the tight ends, and having four of them gives us that flexibility, but wouldn't you think that that would hurt the running game a bit?

LM: William should be able to start. David Martin is next in line and I think he could handle the job.

Alex Macdonald, Baraboo, WI: Larry, when I think of the weapons the Packers have on offense -Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Donald Driver, Bubba Franks, William Henderson - it strikes me that these guys have the talent to make the offense successful. Why, in your opinion, are we not seeing results that match the talent?

LM: A good place to start would be the O-line. If you're starting rookies at two spots, it's going to show. Also, Clifton's got to play up to his standards.

Chad Kragness, Chippewa Falls, Wi: Larry, Do you feel the current Packers coaching staff is adequately addressing the effort and discipline required from the special teams units? As I remember during the Packers rise before and during the Superbowls XXXI & XXXII they had superior special teams play from the majority of the players. Guys like Thomason, Henderson, Jervey,& others always seemed to win their one on one battles to provide improved field position through the special teams play. I know I had been disappointed with the lack of emphasis on the special teams under the coaching staffs since Mike Holmgren left. Thanks, Chad

LM: Mike Stock may be the most vocal coach at practice, and understandably so this week. Special teams can't be responsible for two negative huge plays. If things like fumbles and returns going for TD's are a consistent problem, then yes, you do have to look at the coaching.

Brian, Los Angeles, CA: What is your feelings about Tommie Harris calling out Mark Tauscher for cut blocking? Also do you see this a good thing that players are not going to like playing us, kinda like a toughness fact thing or is this a bad sign and that GB maybe marked as a dirty team?

LM: Harris is a good player but come on. Let's put it this way. One time I cut Mean Joe Green and when he got up he said, "Come on man, stay off the legs." My reply, "OK Joe, I'll stay off the legs if you don't rush the passer." Cut blocking gives those defensive linemen something to worry about, it's a legal weapon, so what if they don't like it.

Got to go, thanks for checking in. Hopefully there will be something more positive to talk about next week. Take care. Larry McCarren

swede
09-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Brian, Los Angeles, CA: What is your feelings about Tommie Harris calling out Mark Tauscher for cut blocking? Also do you see this a good thing that players are not going to like playing us, kinda like a toughness fact thing or is this a bad sign and that GB maybe marked as a dirty team?

LM: Harris is a good player but come on. Let's put it this way. One time I cut Mean Joe Green and when he got up he said, "Come on man, stay off the legs." My reply, "OK Joe, I'll stay off the legs if you don't rush the passer." Cut blocking gives those defensive linemen something to worry about, it's a legal weapon, so what if they don't like it.

Great story!

Thanks GBR

I like McCarren's analysis of things. I trust his knowledge of the game and appreciate his insights into line play in the NFL. His statement that we are about three years away from success is probably accurate IF we currently have the right coaching staff.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2006, 12:33 AM
LM: I also thought Barnett outplayed Urlacher on that particular day. Urlacher had a quiet day while Barnett had 9 tackles, an INT, and a hit on the QB. Good player, I'd be surprised if the Packers don't lock him up long term.

A former player disagreeing with our very own Wist.
:D

Bretsky
09-16-2006, 12:41 AM

A former player disagreeing with our very own Wist.
:D

Did Larry's job get cut back by the Packers ?

I use to drive home and listen to Larry and Brian Noble on 620WTMJ and they were frickin interesting. But I always thought Larry was getting way too tell it like it is with his views. Works great when a team is successful but he was also way too honest last year.

On the way home from the Bears game, I tuned in WTMJ and Noble was gone and Larry just got a very short segment; it seemed like they use to run the show with Bill Michaels form WTMJ.

I can't remember the yahoo that was the main guy from the "Packer Flagship", but he was a frickin joke. Very matter of fact guy who offered next to nothing that I could not have said myself and he avoided saying anything negative in a game where callers were calling in to vent after that pathetic excuse for a performance.

Dam show was frickin boring.

Am I the only one that ever listens to post game ? Anybody know if Larry was demoted for being too frank with his criticism ? That would be what I'm figuring happened, but who knows.

B