PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Patriots

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Aaron Rodgers - 251 passing yards, 2 TD, 1 pick 6.

Aaron Jones - 110 yards rushing, A.J. Dillon 73 yards

Allen Lazard - 6 catches for 116 yards.

Romeo Doubs - 5 catches, 47 yards, 1 TD, 1 almost TD

Rashan Gary - 2 sacks

Adrian Amos - lost to concussion

Elgton Jenkins tough day against Judon

Discuss.

JohnMexico
10-02-2022, 07:03 PM
Jenkins needs to not only play to his strengths but he needs to be in a position to play away from his weaknesses. Njiman was FINE last year. Judon is a little unique but I seen all I needed to see today

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2022, 07:05 PM
I'm getting tired of saying a win is a win is a win. This was a VERY dissatisfying win. A LOT of shittiness out there.

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 07:08 PM
I'm getting tired of saying a win is a win is a win. This was a VERY dissatisfying win. A LOT of shittiness out there.This early in the season a win is a win. Plenty of time to work out their problems. If they're still playing like this once the weather turns cold, I'll worry.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-02-2022, 07:19 PM
Jenkins needs to not only play to his strengths but he needs to be in a position to play away from his weaknesses. Njiman was FINE last year. Judon is a little unique but I seen all I needed to see today

Word.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Win in hindsight, Butte’s pick-6 was bittersweet. Maybe now he’ll stop worrying about winning another MVP and start focusing on winning another Super Bowl.

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 07:33 PM
Rodgers 11.2 passer rating in 1st half. 124.8 2nd half.

bobblehead
10-02-2022, 08:35 PM
Refs were duds. Romeo had a 2nd TD. He caught with one foot down. Secured as second came down. Thats a football move.

George Cumby
10-02-2022, 09:10 PM
Refs were duds. Romeo had a 2nd TD. He caught with one foot down. Secured as second came down. Thats a football move.

I saw that on replay. How in the FUCK was that NOT. TD?!

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 09:23 PM

They also missed delay of game penalty on Pats on play Pats scored TD.

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 09:26 PM
Packers now 24-2 at home in regular season under LaFleur.

George Cumby
10-02-2022, 09:32 PM
I only caught bits and pieces.

But a win is a win is a win.

Especially against Hoody.

That Doubs catch was a cocksuckingmotherfuckingassbleeding touch-down............IMO.

Bretsky
10-02-2022, 09:59 PM
With the game on the line. AROD through the Dubster a back shoulder TD

What does that tell us ?

ThunderDan
10-02-2022, 10:15 PM

I thought when his right elbow hit for a 3rd point of contact before the ball moved it was a TD. I guess it isnt.

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 10:24 PM
With the game on the line. AROD through the Dubster a back shoulder TD

What does that tell us ?

Doubs is the real deal and Rodgers knows it.

ThunderDan
10-02-2022, 10:26 PM
Great game to be in the SW corner of the stadium. Both Doubs and Watsons TDs were right in front of us. Same with Doubs drop in the 4th.

call_me_ishmael
10-02-2022, 11:18 PM
Why did Amari Rodgers return the freaking ball? My god. Get down idiot. Coaches fault for not saying so.

call_me_ishmael
10-02-2022, 11:20 PM
What even is this hair lol

https://twitter.com/shidasp/status/1576721337183137792

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 11:26 PM
Why did Amari Rodgers return the freaking ball? My god. Get down idiot. Coaches fault for not saying so.

MLF looked ticked off on the sideline. I think he may have been giving Bisaccia an earful.

Joemailman
10-02-2022, 11:30 PM
What even is this hair lol

https://twitter.com/shidasp/status/1576721337183137792

Some have compared it to Tommy Shelby of the BBC drama "Peaky Blinders." Haven't seen the show, so I have no idea.

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2022, 11:40 PM
After reading posts here, I'd like to believe Doubs held on long enough for it to be a catch, but even though I'm an all out homer, at the time, I had to agree with the refs - not enough of a football move, and by rule, the need to keep control all the way to the ground.

Joemailman
10-03-2022, 07:59 AM
After reading posts here, I'd like to believe Doubs held on long enough for it to be a catch, but even though I'm an all out homer, at the time, I had to agree with the refs - not enough of a football move, and by rule, the need to keep control all the way to the ground.

It's a bad rule, designed to make the referee's job easier. But based on the rule as written, it was probably the right call.

Fosco33
10-03-2022, 09:09 AM
It's a bad rule, designed to make the referee's job easier. But based on the rule as written, it was probably the right call.

If that happened in the field of play would it have been catch, fumble and clear recovery? Especially as the ground caused the fumble.

run pMc
10-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Tex is right -- on one broadcast they were saying that you have to control of the football to the ground and replays showed he clearly didn't. Refs missed a few calls in this game but that wasn't one, even though it made me mad it's the right call.

On the Rodgers pick-six IDK why he's throwing to Lazard -- he has Cobb and Tonyan open. My guess is he was locked on Lazard, who wasn't really open or in a position to catch that ball anyway. There are too many moments of Rodgers not working his progressions still and it's annoying. Played much much better in 2nd half, but that first half was very concerning.

I might be on the Fire Barry bandwagon. I might be driving it by end of season. I'm glad they didn't go into a prevent defense against Zappe inside the two minute warning of the 4th quarter though.

A win is a win but that was ugly.

I hope Amos is back soon. There were a couple of plays where I'm not sure the Savage-Nixon-Ford Administration knew what they were doing.

bobblehead
10-03-2022, 11:28 AM

So I'm reading everywhere, including packer websites, that Romeo didn't "complete the catch through the ground." I really think they are all missing the bigger picture. He caught it with one foot planted. He took the second step as he positioned it more securely. If that isn't a catch I'm not sure what is anymore. The NFL has made a clusterfuck of this concept in my book.

bobblehead
10-03-2022, 11:31 AM

Except they changed that rule a few years back, unless they changed it back.

run pMc
10-03-2022, 11:44 AM
Nobody knows what a catch is anymore, or what pass interference is. Except the refs, apparently.
Remember Dez and the not-catch a few years back? They've changed the rules a few times.

George Cumby
10-03-2022, 12:12 PM
So I'm reading everywhere, including packer websites, that Romeo didn't "complete the catch through the ground." I really think they are all missing the bigger picture. He caught it with one foot planted. He took the second step as he positioned it more securely. If that isn't a catch I'm not sure what is anymore. The NFL has made a clusterfuck of this concept in my book.

This. That second step was the 'football move'. It was a catch.

Joemailman
10-03-2022, 12:26 PM
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.
Notes:

I haven't looked at the replay as close as some. Did he take a step after having both feet down? If he did, then the way I read it, it's a catch.

Tony Oday
10-03-2022, 12:26 PM
That wasn't a catch he never completed the process.

MLF blew the challenge and we needed that timeout

Defense cannot stop the run

We do not have an NFL Safety behind our starters

Our D was playing 2 high safety against a 3rd string trashcan.

sharpe1027
10-03-2022, 12:54 PM
After the second foot hits you need to perform any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or maintain control of the ball long enough to do so.

He didn't do anything after the second foot hit other than go to the ground.

Joemailman
10-03-2022, 01:31 PM
PFF had Elgton Jenkins as the 3rd highest rated offensive player Sunday. They acknowledged the pass blocking problems, but gave him the Packers highest run blocking grade. Bakhtiari was Packers lowest rated O-lineman due to poor run blocking grade. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/03/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-4-win-over-patriots/

red
10-03-2022, 03:40 PM

to me what he did was just making the catch, not making a catch and then making a football move

1 foot down, the 2 and bringing the ball to his body while falling down to me is just making a catch, no extra move

screw the rule though, he needs to learn how to hang on to the fucking ball. i mentioned in the GDT that the ball comes out of his hands almost half the time he catches it, either from hitting the ground or being knocked out right after he goes out of bounds or whatever

he's great and running routes and making catches, but i have almost no confidence in him holding on to it once he gets it. the fumble and the bobble on the TD didn't surprise me one bit yesterday

red
10-03-2022, 03:41 PM
After the second foot hits you need to perform any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or maintain control of the ball long enough to do so.

the big question is, is it just rust and does he just need time. or did he lose half a step and would be better off moving to guard?

RashanGary
10-03-2022, 04:11 PM
I agree with you red that once he gets the ball he loses it a lot. No surprise.

TJ Lang said Jenkins should be playing guard on Twitter. I think the move is coming.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2022, 07:27 PM
It wasn’t a catch. I don’t know why people are even arguing that it was.

I think they’ll keep Jenkins at RT for a couple more games. That will give Yosh some time to rep at RT. If Jenkins don’t improve, they’ll make the move.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2022, 07:28 PM
PFF had Elgton Jenkins as the 3rd highest rated offensive player Sunday. They acknowledged the pass blocking problems, but gave him the Packers highest run blocking grade. Bakhtiari was Packers lowest rated O-lineman due to poor run blocking grade. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/03/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-week-4-win-over-patriots/

PFF makes me laugh sometimes.

RashanGary
10-03-2022, 10:06 PM
It wasn’t a catch. I don’t know why people are even arguing that it was.

I think they’ll keep Jenkins at RT for a couple more games. That will give Yosh some time to rep at RT. If Jenkins don’t improve, they’ll make the move.

This makes a lot of sense.

MadScientist
10-03-2022, 10:16 PM
to me what he did was just making the catch, not making a catch and then making a football move

1 foot down, the 2 and bringing the ball to his body while falling down to me is just making a catch, no extra move

screw the rule though, he needs to learn how to hang on to the fucking ball. i mentioned in the GDT that the ball comes out of his hands almost half the time he catches it, either from hitting the ground or being knocked out right after he goes out of bounds or whatever

he's great and running routes and making catches, but i have almost no confidence in him holding on to it once he gets it. the fumble and the bobble on the TD didn't surprise me one bit yesterday
This.

I don't know if he just needs to out a lot more time in the weight room strengthening his arms or if there are techniques he needs to work on, but it looks like he is not ready for the power of the NFL game. He needs to make the refs and replays irrelevant and hang on to the damn ball.

RashanGary
10-03-2022, 10:37 PM
This.

I don't know if he just needs to out a lot more time in the weight room strengthening his arms or if there are techniques he needs to work on, but it looks like he is not ready for the power of the NFL game. He needs to make the refs and replays irrelevant and hang on to the damn ball.

Somethings wrong there. Hopefully he improves it.

Fritz
10-04-2022, 09:44 AM

That whole "football move" thing is weird to me. I keep expecting a player to make a little tap-dance move real quick so he can prove he made a move. But he hit the ground and it came out. Not a catch.

MadScientist
10-04-2022, 09:57 AM
That whole "football move" thing is weird to me. I keep expecting a player to make a little tap-dance move real quick so he can prove he made a move. But he hit the ground and it came out. Not a catch.

That was the change they made a couple of years ago, as an adjustment of rules about completing the catch through the tackle. Fallout from the Dez non-catch, and other cases where the ball came out after a receiver stretch for the goal line.

ThunderDan
10-04-2022, 11:34 AM
That was the change they made a couple of years ago, as an adjustment of rules about completing the catch through the tackle. Fallout from the Dez non-catch, and other cases where the ball came out after a receiver stretch for the goal line.
Apparently, reaching your off arm out to brace for co tact with the ground doesn't count. I thought when the right elbow hit the ground before the ball hit the ground, that was your football move and a touchdown. I was wrong.

Fritz
10-05-2022, 08:31 AM
Apparently, reaching your off arm out to brace for co tact with the ground doesn't count. I thought when the right elbow hit the ground before the ball hit the ground, that was your football move and a touchdown. I was wrong.

Maybe if the receiver flashes a peace sign really quickly before hitting the ground that would do the trick.

SudsMcBucky
10-05-2022, 09:20 AM
I only caught bits and pieces.

But a win is a win is a win.

Especially against Hoody.

That Doubs catch was a cocksuckingmotherfuckingassbleeding touch-down............IMO.

I kept arguing with the guy sitting in front of me about that fucking play. You could see it clearly on the Jumbo that it was a TD. The guy in front kept arguing it wasn't. WTF???

RashanGary
10-05-2022, 10:02 AM
I kept arguing with the guy sitting in front of me about that fucking play. You could see it clearly on the Jumbo that it was a TD. The guy in front kept arguing it wasn't. WTF???

Two feet and a football move (tucking the ball) is a touchdown. The only exception is when a player is going to the ground in the process of the catch. In that case the player must maintain possession through the fall. It’s a drop by rule. It was called right.

SudsMcBucky
10-05-2022, 10:48 AM
Two feet and a football move (tucking the ball) is a touchdown. The only exception is when a player is going to the ground in the process of the catch. In that case the player must maintain possession through the fall. It’s a drop by rule. It was called right.

Well damn. It's so hard to follow what's a catch now a days and what's not.

bobblehead
10-06-2022, 03:50 AM

Dez catch is a good comp. They adjusted the rule so that would be a catch. This looked very similar. If this wasn't a catch i think we are right back where we started....nobody has a clue what a catch is.

RashanGary
10-06-2022, 02:54 PM
From the rule book

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled,

c. performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Notes:

Movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control.
If a player, who satisfied (a) and (b), but has not satisfied (c), contacts the ground and loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds
A receiver is considered a player in a defenseless posture throughout the entire process of the catch and until the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent.
If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.
If a player, who is in possession of the ball, is held up and carried out of bounds by an opponent before both feet or any part of his body other than his hands touches the ground inbounds, it is a completed or intercepted pass. It is not necessary for the player to maintain control of the ball when he lands out of bounds.

RashanGary
10-06-2022, 03:03 PM
I don’t know, he did tuck the ball away. It should have been a catch.

run pMc
10-06-2022, 03:49 PM
I don’t know, he did tuck the ball away. It should have been a catch.

I think you could argue that he tucked it away, but that would be the only thing to qualify for (c) that he did.

The rulebook notes that:
If a player, who satisfied (a) and (b), but has not satisfied (c), contacts the ground and loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds

Article 4 notes that
If there is any question whether a forward pass is complete, intercepted, or incomplete, it is to be ruled incomplete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxp-A5uvkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHqpCbz16Q

I think the Dez non-catch was a tougher call. When you watch both Dez and Romeo you'd think if Dez didn't have control then Romeo definitely didn't. JMHO

run pMc
10-10-2022, 09:49 AM
On the bright side: Zappe and Co just stomped the Lions 29-0... so maybe NE is a tougher out than we think.