View Full Version : MORENCY CARRIES BAGGAGE

Bretsky
09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Morency carries baggage
New Packers back has past run-ins with law
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 15, 2006

Green Bay - Running back Vernand Morency can't compare to wide receiver Koren Robinson when it comes to character risk but the newest member of the Green Bay Packers does have red flags on his résumé.

New running back Verand Morency has had a few run-ins with the law.

Morency, obtained by the Packers on Wednesday from Houston in a trade for running back Samkon Gado, was implicated by a female student at Oklahoma State University for rape in February 2003. Nine weeks later a university police investigator filed an affidavit, the only documentation of the case.

In April of that year, then-coach Les Miles placed Morency on indefinite suspension.

Morency was reinstated by Miles in early August when the player filed a civil lawsuit against the university on July 31, 2003, and a judge quickly issued a temporary restraining order allowing him to remain in school.

Two weeks later, the district attorney's office elected not to file charges because of insufficient evidence, and records were permanently sealed. The sexual-assault charge wasn't brought to light until a story appeared Oct. 4, 2004, in the Oklahoma State student newspaper.

"I was never charged with anything," Morency said Friday. "It was accusations. I never had an arrest on my record."

Morency also was involved in another off-field incident during his first year at Oklahoma State that was brought to the attention of all 32 teams by the National Football League security department.

According to one NFL official, Morency was one of about 20 students who jumped on bicycles outside a campus building, rode away and left them at another campus location. Morency and 10 others were caught and felony charges were considered, according to an NFL official.

In the end, Morency reportedly was arrested for possession of a stolen bicycle, a charge that was stricken from his record at the end of a deferred sentence.

"It was nothing," Morency said. "I was never charged with anything. Everything went away."

After signing Robinson on Monday despite the receiver's alcohol-related criminal issues, Packers general manager Ted Thompson traded for Morency about 48 hours later. He said the club examined these and other issues regarding Morency before making the deal for Gado, who was considered a model citizen.

"We studied that back when he came out of college," Thompson said, referring to the accusation of rape. "We determined that he was accused of something but based on our information there was no substance to it."

Regarding the stolen bike, Thompson said, "It sounded like to me it was some sort of college stunt."

Thompson added: "I pulled out our reports and read them again. One said he came from a 'solid two-parent family.' All the people in Houston vouched for him very strongly, as did the people at Oklahoma State."

Morency, 26, was born and raised in Miami and his parents both worked. Drafted in the 14th round in 1998 by the Colorado Rockies, Morency played minor-league baseball as a centerfielder for four years before making a return to football by enrolling at Oklahoma State in 2002.

"I've been raised in a great family, a loving family," Morency said. "I'm a hard worker, dedicated to what I do. I do not drink or smoke."

Earlier in the week, two top executives in personnel for other NFL teams said they regarded Morency as a character risk both before the 2005 draft as well as today.

"He is a very bad person off the field," an executive for an NFC team said. "He'll never survive in Green Bay. He's got a lot of problems."

The personnel man for an AFC team said he remembered interviewing Morency in February 2005 at the NFL combine.

"I don't recall anything being major but it was just a thousand little things," the executive said. "He started going and going and going and going. The story just kept getting longer and longer. We asked why he didn't succeed in baseball. It was, 'Well, the manager didn't like me there, they wouldn't let me bat in the right position.' It was always somebody else's fault why things didn't work out or went wrong."

An executive for another NFC team reached a different conclusion on Morency.

"Got a little Miami to him but overall a pretty good home life," the executive said. "He's not a kid that ran the streets. We thought the kid knows right from wrong. Did he do some stupid stuff that we all do in college? Yes. But once he got caught there were no other incidents."

After declaring for the draft in January 2005 as a third-year junior, Morency scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

According to Morency's initial lawsuit, he and the woman watched movies in his dorm room on the night in question. Morency stated that all sexual conduct was consensual. The woman didn't contact police until April 1, or 37 days after the incident. A week later, she turned over a pair of underwear she was wearing on the night and had not washed.

Lab findings revealed that the underwear did contain semen, according to the lawsuit.

After appearing at a disciplinary hearing, Morency received a letter on May 6 from Peg Vitek, then the university's student conduct officer. In the letter, Vitek wrote: "Based on the written statement and the testimony of all parties, I find it to be more likely than not that you did sexually assault (redacted) on Feb. 23, 2003."

Court documents showed that Morency also was found in violation of two university alcohol policies.

In his lawsuit, Morency said Oklahoma State officials "were bent from the outset upon intimidating and, eventually, suspending" him in disciplinary procedures that he said amounted to "sexual McCarthyism."

Morency remained on campus to work out during the summer of 2003. Backing up Tatum Bell that season, he rushed for 918 yards. He exploded for 1,474 yards in '04.

By vote of the three executives, the Packers were judged to have gotten the better end of the trade by a 2-1 margin.

"There is no question about this kid's talent," one of the NFC personnel men said. "He could be a starter. But you've got to keep him on track."

Added the AFC scout, who much preferred Gado: "Evidently, (Gado) didn't fit them at all so they're just taking a flier, I guess. The one thing, if a guy can't play for you, you might as well try something else. Morency has ability but, with the age and all the other stuff, it would scare me."

esoxx
09-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Sounds like more "Packer People."

Anyone know what Barrett Robbins is up to nowadays?

Lawrence Phillips?

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh, I thought this thread was about his former job as a porter. A 'feel good' story, kinda like the Beer delivery/kick returner from the Saints. Oh well...

Joemailman
09-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Gosh, maybe next McGinn will write column about Donald Driver's troubled childhood. Never miss a chance to be negative.

gbpackfan
09-16-2006, 06:43 AM
This is just a cheap shot! Let's break it down. Some girl accused him of rape a MONTH AFTER IT OCCURED!? :roll: Rape is a disgusting, terrible crime, maybe worse then homicide, but this case stinks!

Then, he rode someones bike accross campus and dumped it. Sounds like a stupid college kid thing to me. I did MUCH worse!

And that quote by that NFC scout or exec saying that he is a bad kid. Oh really? Why? Prove it. What a pussy, he won't even let McGinn print his name!

How did the JS manage to hire the only two perfect people on the Planet. How blessed we all are to be able to read Chrisl and McGinn's work!!!!

motife
09-16-2006, 07:03 AM
that's a deceptive headline by Bob McGinn. The article itself says he doesn't carry "baggage".

I for one have never been bothered by "bad" characters unless they drag the rest of the team down with them, become a "cancer" on the roster.

My opinion is the guy on this team to watch out for is not Koren Robinson or Morency. It's Charles Woodson.

What really makes me sick in sports journalism is "moralizing". Jim Rome does it 24/7 and is unlistenable. Bunch of fatheads who want to beat up Pete Rose, Bob Knight, or Woody Hayes. Three guys I love. Dan Patrick likes to do it to, in holier than thou tones. Cliff Christl's become another Jimmy Swaggart.

]{ilr]3
09-16-2006, 07:12 AM
According to one NFL official, Morency was one of about 20 students who jumped on bicycles outside a campus building, rode away and left them at another campus location. Morency and 10 others were caught and felony charges were considered, according to an NFL official.

Felony Charges for stealing bikes! :shock: :crazy:

BallHawk
09-16-2006, 07:37 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought since Morency was new, he had to carry all the players equipment and luggage.

woodbuck27
09-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Gosh, maybe next McGinn will write column about Donald Driver's troubled childhood. Never miss a chance to be negative.

Nice re-direct there Joe. Drag Donald Driver's name through the muck and shit. :idea:

This is a story about contradictions about sweeping "the facts" under the mat with a blaissey faire response....

as in ahhhh yaaaaawwwn.

"We checked that out and ** OUR findings were... anything to say... something different" to re-direct attention from the question. It's classic Bullshit !!!

** different findings than University Officials who acted on police investigation results, police reports etc.

Ever hear the term " Where there's smoke there's FIRE "? Sure YOU have and in most cases it's properly allocated, assessed and seriously considered in regards to "how might that affect me".

Spelled out! " What are the consequences of this action?"

When are the members of this FORUM going to get clued/glued in RIGHT??? Call a spade a spade. Rather than act...

like a bunch of Co-Dependent people that neglect their ability to observe, process information and make decisions to take stances that are REAL and entirely REALITY based without undo judgement or prejudice.

Get to some rational decision making?

Too much sweeping the matter / issue under the mat. Too much... well better ignore that post as DAM ...he's nailed my agenda there.

The ONLY agenda that we need as Packer fans here, is simple this.

To encourage Packer WINNING. Remember that feelingPacker fans?

The article is ALL about this:

After signing Robinson on Monday despite the receiver's alcohol-related criminal issues, Packers general manager Ted Thompson traded for Morency about 48 hours later. He said the club examined these and other issues regarding Morency before making the deal for Gado, who was considered a model citizen.

"We studied that back when he came out of college," Thompson said, referring to the accusation of rape.

"We determined that he was accused of something but based on our information there was no substance to it."

Ted? "He was accused of...... something"??

That something was RAPE TED THOMPSON.... RAPE !!

RAPE ! RAPE !! RAPE !!! TED THOMPSON

Ahhh Ted..... your new acquire that you never even personally spoke to or did you even have a member of your scouting or Personnel Development Team speak to him, as in interview him? Did you rather take the word of the Texans that he's just a swell fella, Ted?

We have your media release after that trade of GADO = model Citizen and a better NFL Resume ... than someone you really knew DICK ALL about when you traded SAMKON GADO for ?? uhhhhh... RB Vernand Morency ???

Ted ,YOU didn't have a clue about who Vernand Morency is. What he was back whenever, isn't an issue today with me but who he IS TODAY ...IS.

Regarding the stolen bike, Thompson said, "It sounded like to me it was some sort of college stunt."

Ted. Vernand Morency was charged by Police with stealing a bike not charged with a college stunt... there is no cause of a charge for a Colege stunt usually Ted ..usually Ted, it (College Stunt) doesn't fall under a direct violation of the law.

Maybe you related the stealing of a bike or property not owned by Verand Morency with "the Packers customary riding of other's bikes to and from TC practises....???

What makes you tick Ted no longer matters... as YOU are finally revealing yourself and embarassing the GREEN BAY PACKERS and PACKER fans.

Please Ted Thompson.Clean up your act. PLEASE.

Sparkey
09-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Apparently innocent until PROVEN guilty is not how some people view things in here.

I hope that everyone in here that gets all worked up over this, gets just as riled up over all the local people in their community that are raped, abused, assaulted, robbed, etc.

bbbffl66
09-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Apparently innocent until PROVEN guilty is not how some people view things in here.

I hope that everyone in here that gets all worked up over this, gets just as riled up over all the local people in their community that are raped, abused, assaulted, robbed, etc.
That's the reason everyone is worked up. Green Bay is not NYC. By bringing in Mossy Cade types, TT is turning us back into the Siberia of the NFL. Push Brett out and see what free agents want to come here!

RashanGary
09-16-2006, 09:54 AM
By vote of the three executives, the Packers were judged to have gotten the better end of the trade by a 2-1 margin.

"There is no question about this kid's talent," one of the NFC personnel men said. "He could be a starter. But you've got to keep him on track."

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

All I got out of that artical was this.......Geeze, sounds like we took a flier on a guy who could be great. Gado was obviously not working. I see this as another great move my Thompson.....If it doesn't work out, we lost a guy who couldn't run in the ZBS. If it works out, we got a hell of a back. No risk with some reward possibility. This seems like a typical Thomson move. Over time we'll be good. Maybe this guy can help us get there.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2006, 10:01 AM
The rape accusation is sad. I think it is appropriate for McGinn to report it. To my mind, any time someone is accused of a nasty crime, I am suspicous of the person. I wonder if Ahman Green might be a jerk, for instance. But I don't have nearly enough evidence to make a decision, and I certainly wouldn't blacklist somebody based on an unproven accusation.

RashanGary
09-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I always like guys who play more than one sport. To me sports are about a general feel and athletic ability. Sometimes a guy can force himself to learn adn be good at one thing but some guys are just good at everything they do. It's kind of a knack.

Ingle Martin can punt, run, throw, play baseball...Whatever he does, he's good at. I like that trait.

Morency plays baseball and football at a level high enough to be drafted in both pro sports. That is a good sign. I'm kind of intrigued by the guy now. I think he might help us alot over the next couple years.

BallHawk
Who do you think voted no?

Harlan Huckleby
By bringing in Mossy Cade types, TT is turning us back into the Siberia of the NFL.

We don't know that he is a Mossy Cade type.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2006, 10:06 AM

A court of law is not the same thing as the court of public opinion. And no such standard exists in the court of public opinion.

FritzDontBlitz
09-16-2006, 10:31 AM

A court of law is not the same thing as the court of public opinion. And no such standard exists in the court of public opinion.

scott, although i'm not sure if it was your intention, that's the best indictment of public opinion i've heard in a long time.

to simplify matters i suggest before draft time we brand a scarlet "t" on the foreheads of all the people who've done something illegal in the their pre-nfl years? i wonder how many players would be at the combine with clean foreheads then?

Scott Campbell
09-16-2006, 10:39 AM
scott, although i'm not sure if it was your intention, that's the best indictment of public opinion i've heard in a long time.

Maybe you're right and they should have made OJ the new NFL Commissioner.

Just because something hasn't been proven in a court of law, it doesn't mean you can't take it into consideration when evaluating players. You use the best available information.

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Gado had a nice smile and helped me across the street once. He was such a nice boy.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Gado had a nice smile and helped me across the street once. He was such a nice boy.

But Donovan, TO is so talented.

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 11:21 AM
But Donovan, TO is so talented.

Hee Hee! Wouldn't it have been sweet if everyone had passed on TO this year. Just to see him have to sit out the entire year, doing situps in his front yard would have been funny. Next question!

woodbuck27
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Sparkey:

My reaction has nothing to dio with Vernand Morency's guilt or innocense as the matter never went to trial.

My issue is with OUR GM, who comes off acting like some idiot too often in the media... when he is quoted.

If you are the GM of the Green Bay Packers?

Do you up and trade one of only two bright spots,the feel good story possibly of the entire NFL in 2005 and the man described as the ultimate sleeper pick in NFL FF in 2005?

Trade SAMKON GADO for another RB with a checker'd past... without exercising some prudence, as in, a personal contact with Vernand Morency? To see who he is today and just maybe tap into his psyche a tad?

Who would make such a trade as Ted Thompson did in the manner he did? and make such ridiculously embarassing statements as we see in the article?

I'm having trouble with the way TT handles situations and question both acquisitions TT made this week (Koren Robinson as a FA and Vernand Morency via trade) ...

based on - ve baggage, that may still be with each of them today?

It's Ted Thompson's place to handle situations alot better than he demonstrated with both of these new Packers.

Ted Thompson does Dick All... when it's perfectly obvious we are " in screaming for HELP, MODE " and suddenly something triggers him as in some knee jerk reaction (to whatever) and he brings in two men with obvious problems in their past.

That fact of life for these people just can't be swept under the mat as Ted Thompson appears to me to do in these two acquisitions.

A GM must not act too slowly, nor in the other direction... act too frivously to enhance or encourage success.

b bulldog
09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
We seem to like these types of players

Bretsky
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm going to give our GM some time building the team before completely judging him. That being said, I didn't think he needed to completely gut this team. But he has. And as a result we have little chance of success this year. Maybe his strategy, if it remains the same, will give us greater success in the future after a few high draft pick seasons. But I can't cheer for the team to fail so my views on TT are based on the now rather than the later.

So far my view of him is that he is better than average on the draft and borderline fool with managing players with disputes and and free agency. The latter view stems as a result of his perceived lack of effort in dealing with Javon Walker and how he chose to use the 35MIL we had going into this year for free agency.

Patler
09-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Trade SAMKON GADO for another RB with a checker'd past... without exercising some prudence, as in, a personal contact with Vernand Morency? To see who he is today and just maybe tap into his psyche a tad?

The NFL has a term for that process. It's called tampering.