PDA

View Full Version : Packers options with Aaron Rodgers ...

Sparkey
10-24-2022, 04:06 PM
https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers

Interesting read.....

beveaux1
10-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Very interesting. It's different from what I read, but this author gives different scenarios based on different actions by the Packers and Rodgers.

Teamcheez1
10-24-2022, 05:08 PM
Tell Rodgers things aren’t going as planned, and we plan to start a rebuild.

Convince him to opt for retirement and start shedding big contracts through trades or cuts.

Joemailman
10-24-2022, 06:16 PM
Tell Rodgers things aren’t going as planned, and we plan to start a rebuild.

Convince him to opt for retirement and start shedding big contracts through trades or cuts.

Brady will probably retire this year. If Rodgers retires in the same year, they go into the HOF the same year. Rodgers gets overshadowed. That ain't happening.

King Friday
10-24-2022, 07:00 PM
I think Rodgers planned to play at least 2 more years all along. He certainly won’t retire the same year as Brady. My guess is that he could be persuaded to leave via trade, but I’m not sure anyone would be interested at this point considering the price. I think the Packers are stuck with him for this year and next. This is why you don’t sign old guys to contacts where they are near the highest paid at their position. It rarely works out.

Rastak
10-24-2022, 07:04 PM
I think Rodgers planned to play at least 2 more years all along. He certainly won’t retire the same year as Brady. My guess is that he could be persuaded to leave via trade, but I’m not sure anyone would be interested at this point considering the price. I think the Packers are stuck with him for this year and next. This is why you don’t sign old guys to contacts where they are near the highest paid at their position. It rarely works out.

Unless his year continues to go completely down the tubes I would agree. He'd have to finish so badly to have ego kick in and decide "I gotta go". I think he'll stay next year and who knows, he may turn it around.

red
10-24-2022, 07:10 PM
nice to see the numbers finally explained

i'm guessing he get traded next year and the cap hit gets split

but i think its time for all of us to start lowering our expectation for trade compensation though. we might be lucky to get the 2nd rounder we got for bert

bobblehead
10-24-2022, 07:10 PM
A really good option would be get the OL straight and then have WRb that stop dropping passes. Thats would be a great option.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2022, 09:11 PM
I guess it takes a game or three like this to really see who the ingrates and idiots are. I see 4 or 5 posters in here who aren't - along with that many or more who really don't deserve to call themselves Packer fans.

Bad as the situation seems - and is, it can turn around damn quick. A bunch of other top teams are at least as bad off as we are, not to mention a bunch of others who are chronic losers.

As for Rodgers, yeah, he hasn't been himself. However, as I and several others have pointed out, he's not really the cause of the mess, as least not as much as several other factors, some of which should be fairly easily fixable, some not so much. I've read the details of his contract and amazingly low cap number this year and next, etc. going forward, as well as the huge amount of dead money if he was gone. That exact same info can be interpreted as a downright genius design if contract by those intelligently seeing Rodgers as still the best in the league, and as an incredibly bad situation by the haters - who are currently basking in their own God damned negativity right now (fuck anybody with that rotten mindset). I obviously choose the former over the latter.

Sparkey
10-25-2022, 08:01 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/10/25/23422735/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-week-8-2022-breakdown

Not a hater Tex. Green Bay has been unbelievably fortunate to have two HOF qb's back to back. Just not wearing the rose colored glasses anymore.

Bretsky
10-25-2022, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLiJlVeTis

Bretsky
10-25-2022, 10:52 PM
AARON RODGERS COMMENTED that he needs to extend more plays. Matty Floor didn't like that comment at all.

ANYTIME a play has to go off schedule, that is a "crappy play call".

CONFLICT ?

Jaire
10-26-2022, 12:56 AM
AARON RODGERS COMMENTED that he needs to extend more plays. Matty Floor didn't like that comment at all.

ANYTIME a play has to go off schedule, that is a "crappy play call".

CONFLICT ?

I'd be more concerned if there wasn't some conflict.

bobblehead
10-26-2022, 10:34 AM
To tex, Rodgers bears some responsibility. He is missing his deep shots. Then the few he has hit on get dropped or ruled not a TD somehow. Too many P choices in the RPO.

To the conflict. I didn't read it as Rodgers being critical of anyone but himself. He said he needs to extend plays, not change them at the line. Basically he admits he isn't as spry as he once was, but still needs to roll away from pressure.

ThunderDan
10-26-2022, 10:58 AM
Another "great" quote from Rogers.

When discussing what makes the Bills such a dangerous team, Rodgers may have thrown some shade at his own squad.

"Great quarterback. Great defense. Very well coached," Rodgers said. "A lot of weapons, Jake Kumerow. A lot going for them."

I am just done with thinking that he is any type of leader in the clubhouse. He is acting like a spoil brat who doesn't get his way. We really should have traded him to Denver last year and taken what Denver gave to Seatle.

ThunderDan
10-26-2022, 11:00 AM
If we traded ARod last year we would have been worse than we are right now. But if you draft well, you get your core players for a run in 3-5 years and hopefully your next franchise QB.

Joemailman
10-26-2022, 11:06 AM
Another "great" quote from Rogers.

When discussing what makes the Bills such a dangerous team, Rodgers may have thrown some shade at his own squad.

"Great quarterback. Great defense. Very well coached," Rodgers said. "A lot of weapons, Jake Kumerow. A lot going for them."

I am just done with thinking that he is any type of leader in the clubhouse. He is acting like a spoil brat who doesn't get his way. We really should have traded him to Denver last year and taken what Denver gave to Seatle.

Relax. The Kumerow part is a joke. The rest is him complimenting a team that most think is the best team in the NFL.

ThunderDan
10-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Relax. The Kumerow part is a joke. The rest is him complimenting a team that most think is the best team in the NFL.

Joke or not, that is not what a leader of a team does. Period. Plain and simple.

Jaire
10-26-2022, 08:34 PM
Kumerow. That's the best part. At least he has his sense of humor.

Fritz
10-28-2022, 04:55 PM
Brady will probably retire this year. If Rodgers retires in the same year, they go into the HOF the same year. Rodgers gets overshadowed. That ain't happening.

Dr. Joe "Sigmund" Mailman nails it here.

Jaire
10-28-2022, 05:57 PM
A really good option would be get the OL straight and then have WRb that stop dropping passes. Thats would be a great option.

If they can fix this OL (preferably this year, a possibility) and get him a wide out this year, maybe move up or devote some real capital to a ready to start player next year, we'll see AR return. He still has a couple years left. Drew Brees was done a couple years before he hung them up. I don't see that with AR. I just see some very raw players, and a hodge podge mash unit in the OL and WR rooms. Fix, that it, it'll improve. .......

Also I still need to be more patient with the Defense. Barry put together an amazing game against San Fran last year. The guys played. They've had some great stretches. Maybe I'm being to critical. Taking the defense in the best light: Quay needs reps and time to play his part; the rest the D can hopefully get it together; they certainly have more pressure than I've ever see -- just need to take advantage of that. Should I give up on Barry? or is it players?

bobblehead
10-30-2022, 11:37 AM
Its all ebb and flow. Our D isn't nearly as bad as its looking in stretches. Our offense can't stay on the field. The D has to put way more on film and in game film than is preferred.

I'm actually not completely worried about the WR room if Watson can stay on the field. His college career wasn't filled with missed games so I consider this to be an outlier. Give me a healthy Watson, Doubs, Lazard with some Cobb and Watkins on the field scattered in and I'm feeling ok about them.

The OL is the real issue. Our 2 best OL aren't themselves and we can't know if Bak ever will be. Tom has shocked me with his ability to anchor against power moves from the OT position. However he shouldn't be starting at LT right now. I don't hate the alignment if Bak can play. The OL last week was what I want to see if Bak plays.

run pMc
11-01-2022, 03:22 PM
This team has a number of issues, Rodgers' contract (among others) limits what the team can do to fix. I don't blame them for extending him, he won the MVP back-to-back.

Agree that there is a very, very small chance he wants to retire same year as Brady and have to share the stage/spotlight with him in Canton. Plus I don't think he wants to go out with a losing record.

I do think his shelf life is almost up. His legs are starting to go, his deep throws accuracy is off, and he's playing like an aging QB who doesn't want to get hit. It reminds me of the end of Drew Brees career. I think he's done next year unless something drastic happens.

NewsBruin
11-01-2022, 04:25 PM
Kumerow has a better avg yards per reception this year than everyone on the Packers but Sammy, Toure, and Winifree.

Sure, it's no TDs and 4 catches on 6 targets for 64 yards, but 66% of the time, he's a first-down machine.

Teamcheez1
11-01-2022, 04:32 PM
You lose all credibility making an argument for 4 catch Kumerow. Why don’t you get Jordy on the phone while you’re at it?

Fritz
11-01-2022, 05:04 PM
Gotta agree with Cheez here. Sounds like you think bringing Kumerow back would somehow make a difference. He's like Lazard, only less.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Its all ebb and flow. Our D isn't nearly as bad as its looking in stretches. Our offense can't stay on the field. The D has to put way more on film and in game film than is preferred.

I'm actually not completely worried about the WR room if Watson can stay on the field. His college career wasn't filled with missed games so I consider this to be an outlier. Give me a healthy Watson, Doubs, Lazard with some Cobb and Watkins on the field scattered in and I'm feeling ok about them.

The OL is the real issue. Our 2 best OL aren't themselves and we can't know if Bak ever will be. Tom has shocked me with his ability to anchor against power moves from the OT position. However he shouldn't be starting at LT right now. I don't hate the alignment if Bak can play. The OL last week was what I want to see if Bak plays.

I completely agree with this. AR seems to really like Watson (if he could only see the field). The rookies are the future and it's bright. The question is can that room stay healthy and can the rooks figure it out enough to help the team succeed post-season.

Bakh had a great game: at least that's what Tauscher thought, back to old form. For him, it's health. And if Jenkins gets healthy, I have no doubt he'll be good by year's end. It's all about health.

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 07:11 PM
They should stop running Watson in the middle of the field. There is a reason rb's have a short shelf life.

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 09:14 PM
They should stop running Watson in the middle of the field. There is a reason rb's have a short shelf life.

That hit was fluky though. And rolling his neck after compounded the problem. Hope he is ok.

run pMc
11-02-2022, 07:55 AM
66% of the time, he's a first-down machine.

Pretty sure NB was kidding around.

run pMc
11-02-2022, 07:57 AM

Watson has taken a couple of big hits this year on those jet sweeps, it's like he doesn't know how to protect himself at the end of a play. He runs a bit upright and is a big target so that probably doesn't help either.

Joemailman
11-02-2022, 08:14 AM

He needs to learn to protect himself when a hit is coming. Guys in the NFL coming at him are bigger and faster than he faced at NDSU. The problem isn't so much running plays in the middle of the field. He can take just as big a hit running a slant pattern if he's not ready for it.

Fritz
11-02-2022, 08:34 AM
This is what they should be teaching on the first day of OTA's:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51674745027_5e6ce214bd_b.jpg

texaspackerbacker
11-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Ball security is over great importance.

Sparkey
11-02-2022, 11:28 AM
Ball security is over great importance.
https://as2.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/03/10/86/79/1000_F_310867976_9oCC43rLgY8A8zjweGNlE3jeTpY2a83Z. jpg

RashanGary
11-06-2022, 03:54 PM
The Rodgers and Bakh contracts hurt a lot right now. Not only are we a bad team, but we’re a bad team with aging huge contracts.

RashanGary
11-06-2022, 03:58 PM
Man I hate the Rodgers contract. It’s Love time and if we lose it’s take a swing at another time.

Teamcheez1
11-06-2022, 04:01 PM
Rodgers has two options right now: accept a trade or retire. We are only delaying the inevitable if we think that things will be different next year.

RashanGary
11-06-2022, 04:03 PM
Rodgers has two options right now: accept a trade or retire. We are only delaying the inevitable if we think that things will be different next year.

Will anyone trade for that contract?

King Friday
11-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Rodgers can take all the South American drugs he wants to, but he ain’t getting better moving forward. Time to put Love in and see what he can do.

QBME
11-06-2022, 04:13 PM
Sure, as long as we pay for 75% of it.
Not unheard of in the NFL.

Fritz
11-06-2022, 04:29 PM
It's time. What could you get for an aging QB who now regularly underthrows or misses his receivers?

Maybe get a third like they did for Bert?

And then draft someone shitty like they always do in the third, except they'd do it twice instead of just once.

red
11-06-2022, 04:42 PM
It's time. What could you get for an aging QB who now regularly underthrows or misses his receivers?

Maybe get a third like they did for Bert?

And then draft someone shitty like they always do in the third, except they'd do it twice instead of just once.

thought we got a second for berry?

but yeah, we aren't getting a first

hell we might have to give someone picks to take him and his contract

red
11-06-2022, 04:45 PM

again, like when you said this in the GDT, you are wrong

they can not force him to retire

the team can cut him, trade him, or keep him

he won't just retire because he has 200 or whatever million reasons not to

andd "accept a trade" , he's the one that wanted to be traded in the first place

Teamcheez1
11-06-2022, 05:18 PM
They essentially force him to retire by threatening a trade. He will not accept a trade except under his terms. At that point, it’s no longer his decision. We hold all the cards now. Not saying there won’t be pain, but I don’t care what AR wants, he has no more leverage if we’re willing to make the tough choices we weren’t ready to at the end of last year.

Rastak
11-06-2022, 06:06 PM
They essentially force him to retire by threatening a trade. He will not accept a trade except under his terms. At that point, it’s no longer his decision. We hold all the cards now. Not saying there won’t be pain, but I don’t care what AR wants, he has no more leverage if we’re willing to make the tough choices we weren’t ready to at the end of last year.

Sort of. He can tell the team that wants to trade for him he won't redo anything. Then it's cut him.

RashanGary
11-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Sort of. He can tell the team that wants to trade for him he won't redo anything. Then it's cut him.

They can’t cut him. So much cap hit escalates that it’s impossible. If no one will trade for him we’re stuck.

RashanGary
11-06-2022, 06:24 PM
I’d rather be the Bears right now. Bad team. Young QB. Tons of cap space.

Rastak
11-06-2022, 06:27 PM
They can’t cut him. So much cap hit escalates that it’s impossible. If no one will trade for him we’re stuck.

I don't think you are. I'm absolutely not saying you will but you cut him with a June 1st designation and not get killed. Then you have to have a plan B at QB and it would still hurt.

QBME
11-06-2022, 08:05 PM

Living down here in the Flatland, I actually watched the Barelys while recording the Packer game. The Bears are supposedly rebuilding, but are scary good.

QBME
11-06-2022, 08:22 PM
Back on topic;
He has no protection,
He has no bone fide receivers,
All he has is a wavering instinct and nowhere to go with it.
Let it play out and maybe get a draft pick or two out of it and contract relief and move on.

Teamcheez1
11-06-2022, 08:33 PM
Protection wasn’t the problem today. He had plenty of time. He played poorly.

red
11-06-2022, 09:05 PM
Living down here in the Flatland, I actually watched the Barelys while recording the Packer game. The Bears are supposedly rebuilding, but are scary good.

see, thats why i wanted to blow it up after last year and rebuild

you get to see some little glimmers of hope an improvement

but we're stuck with this shit that keeps getting worse with no hope for turning it around

red
11-06-2022, 09:07 PM

he really did, he had great protection, but he had happy feet as soon as he got the ball

on the one int that was supose to go to bahk, he just turned and threw, i don't think either foot was on the ground

there was no reason for not setting his feet other then it wouldn't have looked as cool

the protection was fine today. the QB play just doesn't trust his line and has no arm anymore

Joemailman
11-06-2022, 11:28 PM

He can essentially veto any trade because no team is going to trade for him unless he is agreeable to playing there.

call_me_ishmael
11-07-2022, 12:04 AM
Is it possible Tom Clements is the issue and he's one and done? 69 (nice) is no spring chicken.

run pMc
11-07-2022, 03:39 PM
I don't think you cut or trade him. For one, I don't think you can with his contract because of the cap hit.
For another, if he comes back next year they will likely have a lot of high-round picks plus the rookie WRs will have a year under their belts. Also, they'll have an easier schedule and hopefully a new and improved DC.

Yeah, I'm playing the "there's always next year" card. If Rodgers doesn't retire and is "all in" then I wouldn't count against him going on a hellblazing quiet-the-critics tour and then retiring.

Fritz
11-07-2022, 04:31 PM

That's what my first girlfriend said to me.

Bretsky
11-07-2022, 05:39 PM

We could have been the Bears

Had we made the trade with Denver, I think Fields was there to draft

RashanGary
11-07-2022, 06:24 PM
Packers take a 100M cap hit if they cut Rodgers
40M cap hit if traded before June 1st
16M hit in 2023 and 24M in 2024 if traded after June 1

RashanGary
11-07-2022, 06:25 PM
They can not cut him. It’s trade, retire, or he plays for us.

Joemailman
11-07-2022, 06:35 PM
We could have been the Bears

Had we made the trade with Denver, I think Fields was there to draft

Fields was drafted in 2021. Was there talk of trading Rodgers to Denver in 2021?