PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs Bills

Joemailman
10-30-2022, 10:32 PM
Aaron Jones 143 yards rushing. As a team 208 yards rushing.

Doubs and Toure with nice TD catches.

Enagbare with 2 TFL's. Played better than Gary.

Quay Walker with the bonehead play of the year.

Packers battled, but were undermanned against Bills.

Jaire
10-30-2022, 10:39 PM
You could see the deficiencies (thanks Gute).

I didn't see Jaire on Diggs til the end: he had 4 PDs and an INT. more questions on Joe Barry

Lots to like in the second half for a change.

Worst calls against the Pack, or it's a tie game down the stretch. Not that GB was the better team but they did play better at the end.

Edit: The game plan changed when Watson went down with that hit (and those were the biggest hits I've seen all year). You could see it in MLF's and AR's faces.

Joemailman
10-30-2022, 11:02 PM
First time Packers have lost 4 in a row since 2016. They then ran the table until the NFC Title Game.

Jaire
10-30-2022, 11:17 PM
First time Packers have lost 4 in a row since 2016. They then ran the table until the NFC Title Game.

I think the only way that happens is if everyone gets healthy and stays so. The OL and WR rooms can't take these injuries. (Also we must have a new DC if it can happen.)

Jaire
10-30-2022, 11:21 PM
Doubs with two great catches!!!!

He normally drops those.......LIS (and many others), you have to give him time. And he was close to that other catch too that Aaron threw perfectly. A little off-season strengthening -- but that might be year three or four -- will help with those contested catches.

I also have high hopes for Toure: Aaron was very happy with that play in postgame.

Also, I'm officially starting the I'd rather fire Barry than pick up a wide receiver wagon. Feel they can get enough from their guys: but both WRs and OL need to get healthy. We saw tonight what Jaire can do. He's not being utilized: most DCs would love a guy like Ja. Don't get why they didn't at least stick him on Diggs all night.

texaspackerbacker
10-31-2022, 01:03 AM
Some good posts here.

Fritz
10-31-2022, 07:24 AM
Doubs with two great catches!!!!

He normally drops those.......LIS (and many others), you have to give him time. And he was close to that other catch too that Aaron threw perfectly. A little off-season strengthening -- but that might be year three or four -- will help with those contested catches.

I also have high hopes for Toure: Aaron was very happy with that play in postgame.

Also, I'm officially starting the I'd rather fire Barry than pick up a wide receiver wagon. Feel they can get enough from their guys: but both WRs and OL need to get healthy. We saw tonight what Jaire can do. He's not being utilized: most DCs would love a guy like Ja. Don't get why they didn't at least stick him on Diggs all night.

I'm with you on firing Barry rather than trading for a WR. The defense has talent but it's not being utilized correctly, not at all. I'd also reduce the reps of either Jarran Reed or Dean "Army" Lowry or both and play Slaton at NT and move Kenny Clark around, and maybe start to give Wyatt a few snaps more here and there. Honestly Reed and Lowry are about useless.

But the rest of the defense doesn't lack talent; it lacks cohesion and good schemes. Their defense reminds me of the Loins a few years ago: everybody and their brother knew that there would be no blitzing, ever, and knew what was going to be played.

Fire Joe Barely.

ThunderDan
10-31-2022, 08:29 AM
I thought this was our best game of the year for energy and enthusiasm. Our players showed a lot of fight and grit out there. We lost both of our ILBs and we still held Buffalo to 3 2nd half points.

Keep the refs even and it should have been a tie game or close going into the last couple of minutes.

I think we finally played as a run first team last night and it showed. O was much better even with the interior line getting crushed on pass blocking.

Joemailman
10-31-2022, 08:48 AM
I thought Rodgers threw the ball better last night. The thumb may be getting better. There may be some hope for the offense to improve in the coming weeks.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2022, 10:25 AM
I think if they play like the second half they are the #1 threat in the NFC. Big if, though. That said, I'm optimistic. The OL is solidifying and it all starts there.

It kind of seems like they run the same running play play after play. Can we get some origijnality there?

texaspackerbacker
10-31-2022, 10:46 AM
That "same running play" was inside zone, and it worked partly because of the D they were playing and partly because Myers and Runyan were doing a decent job blocking. Outside zone never works as good for the Packers, and Buffalo may have been set up stronger there.

That late 4th and 1 play, they should never have just run it like they did. Everybody watching could see the middle was loaded up. As the commentator said, a bootleg or pass play might have worked. Rodgers should have audibled to that or even just faked the hand off and gone naked.

One thing that helped late was having Rodgers roll out. I don't know why they didn't try that sooner. Also, that flea fllicker was "original" I'd like to see that with Watson on the receiving end.

Jaire
10-31-2022, 12:55 PM
I thought Rodgers threw the ball better last night. The thumb may be getting better. There may be some hope for the offense to improve in the coming weeks.

Yeah. Rodgers had some beautiful throws. Seems to be a real conflict between him and MLF. He is still very dangerous outside the pocket. I keep repeating it: this OL really is the worst he's had. It's not at all "unfixable" just needs luck with getting healthy for a change. Likewise, we knew there would be injuries in the WR room, but Lazard and Watson going down is a bit ridiculous. And both MLF and AR confirmed that Watson was a huge part of the plan for yesterday. You could see that on both their faces when Watson went down. Doubs took a huge step yesterday I thought. Didn't think he'd start making those contested plays so quick: kid has it all, just a question if he can build on it and stay consistent this year.

bobblehead
10-31-2022, 01:01 PM
Aaron Jones 143 yards rushing. As a team 208 yards rushing.

Doubs and Toure with nice TD catches.

Enagbare with 2 TFL's. Played better than Gary.

Quay Walker with the bonehead play of the year.

Packers battled, but were undermanned against Bills.

Quay was dumb, but the bills were talking constant trash and the officials didn't do a damn thing, so when he felt someones hands on him he reacted. I haven't heard his side, but I'm guessing the thought someone was pushing him first. It didn't look that way, but given the attitude the bills were playing with all game I believe he made a young guy mistake. No way he should have been ejected. Refs as usual didn't help us, but they weren't the problem either.

bobblehead
10-31-2022, 01:04 PM
The Joe Barry hate is probably justified. Honestly he seemed like McCarthy hire. I believe they thought Leonhard was going to take the job and got caught with their pants down. Remember when I was begging fat mike to hire Dan Quinn. Finally got my wish. Ah, sweet irony.

Jaire
10-31-2022, 01:04 PM
That late 4th and 1 play, they should never have just run it like they did. Everybody watching could see the middle was loaded up. As the commentator said, a bootleg or pass play might have worked. Rodgers should have audibled to that or even just faked the hand off and gone naked.

One thing that helped late was having Rodgers roll out. I don't know why they didn't try that sooner. Also, that flea fllicker was "original" I'd like to see that with Watson on the receiving end.

MLF admitted he should have called a better play on that cover zero. I was saying, "please don't run inside." I don't know. MLF has shown he struggles under pressure. I really didn't like seeing him almost crying at the halftime interview.

AR had complained last week about not having roll outs called. We got a couple beautiful throw and catches from it. It's really about the very young WRs knowing what to do. Toure's future is bright imo: I think he has what it takes to make it in the NFL, just needs time (like the other rooks). And when you see what Josh Allen can do rolling out, it changes the whole game. AR without any doubt still has it. Can I be more pissed at what Gute has neglected here: literally no premier QB has been this neglected ever. Wasting picks for the genius, guru Barry to make this a top five D was the mistake I had hoped it would not be. People calling for a rebuild are just off: we need a serious rebuild in the FO and coaching. We are in desperation mode to make a run this year, still possible.

It's also interesting that AR is thinking about what to say for the rest the season. He has a very very good idea of what this team is: he's had that in the past. When he said "we can run the table" in 2016 he knew WHAT he had. Likewise, "RELAX". He's not sure what to say, cuz it's NOT LOST (in his mind) but it is really uncertain. Will they really replace Joe Barry, midseason, who is losing (has lost?) that locker room? It's out of his control, which also he's said.

Jaire
10-31-2022, 01:09 PM
The Joe Barry hate is probably justified. Honestly he seemed like McCarthy hire. I believe they thought Leonhard was going to take the job and got caught with their pants down. Remember when I was begging fat mike to hire Dan Quinn. Finally got my wish. Ah, sweet irony.

Yeah. THE most important pick for any FO is the head coach. The most important job of the HC is coaching hires. There's so many things that go into a great HC: to me MLF is more of an OC than a great HC. There's aspects of the game he is not good at and it doesn't seem to have improved. Not knocking him, cuz I do like MLF. He is who he is, some great aspects and some big deficiencies: and I'm not sure he will acquire what he's missing.

Sparkey
10-31-2022, 02:27 PM
I watched a replay of the 4th and 1 run. Watkins totally fucks up the blocking. If Watkins picks up the safety on the outside, when Von Mills steam rolls Njiman, Jones would have finished the cutback behind Nijman. An example of injuries ( Lazard ) putting replacements in positions that they would struggle to succeed in.

Fritz
10-31-2022, 04:42 PM
I think the beat was pretty good, and I liked the lyrics, too. I'd give it a 7, Dick.

bobblehead
10-31-2022, 05:43 PM
I think if they play like the second half they are the #1 threat in the NFC. Big if, though. That said, I'm optimistic. The OL is solidifying and it all starts there.

It kind of seems like they run the same running play play after play. Can we get some origijnality there?

When you're crushing them for 7 a clip you keep it up until they bring guys in...then you let Rodgers find Romeo in iso down the field and you take a shot.

bobblehead
10-31-2022, 05:46 PM
That "same running play" was inside zone, and it worked partly because of the D they were playing and partly because Myers and Runyan were doing a decent job blocking. Outside zone never works as good for the Packers, and Buffalo may have been set up stronger there.

Tex, we finally agree. I saw the formation and was screaming "play action". They were lined up to stop a power run. The obvious move is to run something else from that formation. Roll out, pitch out. Take a deep shot off play action because the safety is cheating up. Anything besides running into their teeth.

bobblehead
10-31-2022, 05:50 PM
I watched a replay of the 4th and 1 run. Watkins totally fucks up the blocking. If Watkins picks up the safety on the outside, when Von Mills steam rolls Njiman, Jones would have finished the cutback behind Nijman. An example of injuries ( Lazard ) putting replacements in positions that they would struggle to succeed in.

I saw same thing. Nijma and Bak are true zone run blockers. They aren't going to pancake anyone, but they wall off lanes. A back like Jones thrives by cutting back into those lanes....but when guys fill those lanes its a failure. Thats why MLF is so obsessed with WR that block well.