Roquan Smith to Ravens
TJ Hockenson to Vikings
C. Claypool to Bears

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 12:56 PM
2 of those 3 would have looked good in G&G

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 12:58 PM
As of 8am this morning I'm told "it was looking like Green Bay was potentially going to offer the best deal for Chase (Claypool)," per league source. Obviously the #Bears have swooped in and nabbed the #Steelers WR.

— JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) November 1, 2022

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 12:58 PM
What sucks about this...we couldn't beat the bears offer of a 2nd, since ours will be later in the round and giving up more would have been too much.

Why in the world are the bears selling AND buying at the deadline?

red
11-01-2022, 01:04 PM
What sucks about this...we couldn't beat the bears offer of a 2nd, since ours will be later in the round and giving up more would have been too much.

to screw us?

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 01:05 PM
Hockenson was 2 and 3 for TJ and a 4th...conditional 4th in 2024 as well. Personally I would have like to have made that trade. TJ is a total package. Blocks, catches does anything asked of him. He would have been an instant big upgrade over any of our TEs at what they do best....except MAYBE Old mercedes is still a better blocker by a touch.

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Chubb to the Dolphins

jmbarnes101
11-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Chubb to the Dolphins

Chase Edmonds to the Broncos in that deal

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 01:40 PM
Chase Edmonds to the Broncos in that deal

Denver still dealing ?

beveaux1
11-01-2022, 02:03 PM
Denver still dealing ?

Be surprised if we offer a high first for him. If our first would be in the 20s, maybe. It'll probably be around 12 - 14. I wouldn't want to give that up.

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 02:19 PM
Calvin Ridley to Jaguars

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 02:29 PM
Jeff Wilson to Dolphins

run pMc
11-01-2022, 02:47 PM
Hockenson was 2 and 3 for TJ and a 4th...conditional 4th in 2024 as well. Personally I would have like to have made that trade. TJ is a total package. Blocks, catches does anything asked of him. He would have been an instant big upgrade over any of our TEs at what they do best....except MAYBE Old mercedes is still a better blocker by a touch.

Detroit exercised his 5th year option for next year, and MIN would do same - they'll likely sign him to an extension. I like that trade for MIN actually, it gets them an in-prime player who can be a good weapon for their offense and they didn't give up a lot for him.
The other trades I'm meh on. Roquan is going to be expensive to extend, and Claypool for a R2? Good if streaky player who seems like he's got a little knucklehead to him. It looks like the Bears FO is trying to revamp their roster to be more offense-oriented and give Justin Fields someone else to throw to.

The Chubb trade I kind of like -- he's a good player but it's another one where they'll have to extend him. I'm not a huge fan of trading picks to another team for the right to sign one of their players to a market contract. You're buying at the top of market and if you're wrong (often the case) you've overpaid and it hurts you down the road. He certainly helps Miami make a push into the playoffs. I'm not sure what Denver is doing.

I don't expect GB to be significant buyers today, sellers possibly. Maybe they trade for a Kendrick Bourne type of player, but he's not moving the needle that much. Brandin Cooks has a toxic contract (18M guaranteed next year) and I think GB has enough cap issues as it is. Not sure there's a lot out there that will solve GBs current issues, but it won't be surprising to hear GB was involved in a lot of talks that lead nowhere.

Joemailman
11-01-2022, 02:50 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/KffCVVvregZkRUZn3d/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47mmrx09dd375r5e7eujng0s5vuujd okk4x6d39zw1&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 03:00 PM
DEADLINE REACHED - A FEW LATE TRADES MIGHT TRICKLE IN

jklowan
11-01-2022, 03:00 PM
Nothing
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N6Oqds0QnB0/UqVBfsRDnSI/AAAAAAAALWI/_zKicmBJkH8/s320/yukon.gif (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N6Oqds0QnB0/UqVBfsRDnSI/AAAAAAAALWI/_zKicmBJkH8/s1600/yukon.gif)

jklowan
11-01-2022, 03:01 PM
Probably best as this team is going NOWHERE

Sparkey
11-01-2022, 03:01 PM
RB Nyheim Hines to Bills

Joemailman
11-01-2022, 03:06 PM
DEADLINE REACHED - A FEW LATE TRADES MIGHT TRICKLE IN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNJq_wI1ns

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2022, 03:21 PM
Yawn. Wake me up when November ends.

Fritz
11-01-2022, 03:45 PM
The Bears still crack me up. STILL giving up future trade capital for a talented but iffy guy.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 04:08 PM
Hockenson would really have helped, possibly more than any WR on the market. So, that's a real disappointment.

AR had a good interview with McAffee today (I just watched the clips on McAffee's twitter). Maybe his best interview of the year. AR is actually one of the most open interviewees in the NFL.

He thought they had a trade deal done. If I knew Hockenson was for sale, I would have been behind that: Tonyan has great hands but is not recovered from the ACL. Minnesota did not give up much: basically Detroit swapped a 2 for a 4 and a 3 for a 4. Given where they will end up it's less than it looks.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNJq_wI1ns

that's perfect. love it.

Teamcheez1
11-01-2022, 04:39 PM
No reason to trade for a WR when the Packers will be forcing AR to retire or be traded.

red
11-01-2022, 04:39 PM
Hockenson would really have helped, possibly more than any WR on the market. So, that's a real disappointment.

AR had a good interview with McAffee today (I just watched the clips on McAffee's twitter). Maybe his best interview of the year. AR is actually one of the most open interviewees in the NFL.

He thought they had a trade deal done. If I knew Hockenson was for sale, I would have been behind that: Tonyan has great hands but is not recovered from the ACL. Minnesota did not give up much: basically Detroit swapped a 2 for a 4 and a 3 for a 4. Given where they will end up it's less than it looks.

gotta wonder if the gunt even picked up the phone today when the lions are just handing out really good TEs (a position we've needed for like a decade) to a division rival for peanuts

vikings GM had the stones to call about a trade and made his team even better

Joemailman
11-01-2022, 04:57 PM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
As some others have reported, the #Packers were in the running for #Steelers WR Chase Claypool. They offered the same compensation as Chicago did, a source said. But the #Steelers thought Chicago's pick would be considerably higher even though both teams are 3-5.

In the end, the Steelers decided that The Bears Still Suck.

Fritz
11-01-2022, 05:00 PM
And they do. Let's be sellers and trade a really good linebacker! No, wait, let's be buyers and get a wide receiver who's fallen off his team's depth chart and give up a second to do it! Wait, let's do both!

Bretsky
11-01-2022, 05:01 PM
even after the fact nearly all felt GB targeted Claypool and was hands down the favorite to get him and then da Bears swooped in.

Fritz
11-01-2022, 05:03 PM
Hah. And in two years the Bears will have a moody unproductive wide receiver on their hands and no second round pick.

Doh!

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2022, 05:10 PM
In the end, the Steelers decided that The Bears Still Suck.

Well then, add a fucking 5th!

When I was institutionalized, a hot chick became available after breaking up with another guy and she knew I digged her and was willing to date me. But I was still butt hurt about her picking that other guy in the first place and fucked up the opportunity. Another opportunity never presented itself.

German Shepherd fucked up, I just as I did then. What a fucking loser!

Joemailman
11-01-2022, 05:18 PM
Hah. And in two years the Bears will have a moody unproductive wide receiver on their hands and no second round pick.

Doh!

That's my thought. Steelers got back the 2nd round pick they used to draft Pickens. I'll bet they're pretty happy. I would not have given up a 2nd for Claypool.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2022, 05:24 PM
Fucking up the opportunity to trade for Claypool is akin to Thompson fucking up the opportunities to trade for Beast Mode and Tony Gonzalez.

Fuck!!! Packers GMs are more incompetent than Tony ODay would be at managing an NFL team’s cap.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2022, 05:33 PM
Allen Fucking Lazard is the #1 WR on this godforsaken team - and injured - and you all are fine with German Shepherd not trading 2nd and 5th rounders for Claypool?

Fuck!!! I am so pissed, gonna go watch Where the Clawdads Sing to hopefully lower my blood pressure. :x

th87
11-01-2022, 05:52 PM

Doh!

And we'll get to draft the next Oren Burks!

Jaire
11-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Allen Fucking Lazard is the #1 WR on this godforsaken team - and injured - and you all are fine with German Shepherd not trading 2nd and 5th rounders for Claypool?

Fuck!!! I am so pissed, gonna go watch Where the Clawdads Sing to hopefully lower my blood pressure. :x

Claypool has the same probs as a lot of their guys. There's the rub. That's the prob with Jeudy too.

I think a Hockenson or even more a lineman could help this team more. AR thinks the receivers can get it done possibly: and there definitely is a chance (though far moreso the next two years).

Jaire
11-01-2022, 06:02 PM
And we'll get to draft the next Oren Burks!

truth bomb!!!

Gute's drafting has been middle of the pack. Gotta do better there.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 06:04 PM
The Bears still crack me up. STILL giving up future trade capital for a talented but iffy guy.

Bears gonna be Bears.

But Fields needs some kind of help this year. I'm not as anti-Bears as most (except their fans). So, I'm kind of hoping they can field a more competative team. You know Rodgers will still own them as long as he's here. so no worries. But I would like Fields to succeed.

Joemailman
11-01-2022, 06:20 PM

Never thought of that.

http://dydza6t6xitx6.cloudfront.net/ci-woodford-reserve-bourbon-c985a76a3eeaa7c2.png

th87
11-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Here's a listing of the players chosen with the picks we were unwilling to trade (2016-2021):

Spriggs
Fackrell
Martinez

Josh Jones
M. Adams
Biegel

J. Jackson
Burks
J. Moore

E. Jenkins*
Sternberger
Keke

Dillon
Deguara

Myers
Amari Rodgers
Newman

Jenkins and maybe Dillon within an ocean of sub-mediocrity. For a "draft and develop" team, these guys suck at drafting and developing.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 06:39 PM

Agreed. I just read the rest of this thread. Mainly................they've been wasting draft picks anyways. And they could've picked him or any number of other receivers that year. Pretty huge admission by the FO: eating humble pie.

Jaire
11-01-2022, 06:42 PM
Here's a listing of the players chosen with the picks we were unwilling to trade (2016-2021):

Spriggs
Fackrell
Martinez

Josh Jones
M. Adams
Biegel

J. Jackson
Burks
J. Moore

E. Jenkins*
Sternberger
Keke

Dillon
Deguara

Myers
Amari Rodgers
Newman

Jenkins and maybe Dillon within an ocean of sub-mediocrity. For a "draft and develop" team, these guys suck at drafting and developing.

It's the drafting.......... In the past most our picks at least went on to succeed. Too many picks are out of the league. After five years, this is a trend in Gute's regime.

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 09:27 PM

When I was institutionalized, a hot chick became available after breaking up with another guy and she knew I digged her and was willing to date me. But I was still butt hurt about her picking that other guy in the first place and fucked up the opportunity. Another opportunity never presented itself.

German Shepherd fucked up, I just as I did then. What a fucking loser!

You or him.....I mean, its unclear.

bobblehead
11-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Nothing
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N6Oqds0QnB0/UqVBfsRDnSI/AAAAAAAALWI/_zKicmBJkH8/s320/yukon.gif (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N6Oqds0QnB0/UqVBfsRDnSI/AAAAAAAALWI/_zKicmBJkH8/s1600/yukon.gif)

YUKON CORNELIUS!!!!

Jaire
11-01-2022, 10:19 PM
Never thought of that.

http://dydza6t6xitx6.cloudfront.net/ci-woodford-reserve-bourbon-c985a76a3eeaa7c2.png

hahaha.

I just caught that.... I took it more as what I could use now to deal with this non-trade.

Bretsky
11-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Rodgers was confident a deal was getting done and claypool was the guy. Tausch and Wilde noted Green Bay offered a 2nd as well. Some feel the Pitt gm played dirty pool and went to bears after

texaspackerbacker
11-02-2022, 09:49 AM
I can't blame the Steeler GM. A Bear second rounder is a helluva lot better than a Packer second rounder, and it would have been stupid to raise our offer to a first. (Just watch the panicky fools in here dispute that hahahahaha)

Bretsky
11-02-2022, 10:44 AM
I don’t blame gute here. Could have tried to add a 6th or 7th but not a 1st. I do blame gutebag for neglecting the wr position in 2020 though:)

Sparkey
11-02-2022, 11:14 AM
I can't blame the Steeler GM. A Bear second rounder is a helluva lot better than a Packer second rounder, and it would have been stupid to raise our offer to a first. (Just watch the panicky fools in here dispute that hahahahaha)

As of today, the difference is 1 spot. Honestly, I'm glad the Packers didn't give up a 2nd for Claypool. I'm not convinced he is better than what we have now. Now if it was Les Claypool, then yes, give up two firsts! That guy can slap a bass witht he best of them!

https://lesclaypool.com/images/slides/les01.jpg

NewsBruin
11-02-2022, 11:28 AM
As a Baylor homer, I wonder if we could have pried Denzel Mims from the Jets for a fifth or worse. He's got the measurables for a good WR, but has been in the team's doghouse since last year or so.

He's still inexperienced enough that I don't know how quickly he would have picked up our system. Or he might be stupid. I think that's a concern for any WR pickup (and an impatient quarterback).

th87
11-02-2022, 11:30 AM

You can add a 4th in a future draft, you know.

bobblehead
11-02-2022, 01:11 PM
You can add a 4th in a future draft, you know.

So give away a zach tom or a romeo dobbs in addition to giving up a Jenkins or a myers? Thats starting to get pretty expensive.....and no sure thing the steelers would want that rather than the bears pick.

run pMc
11-02-2022, 02:42 PM
Les Claypool > Chase Claypool

Denzel Mims is barely seeing the field. I wouldn't give up more than a R6 or R7 for him... and even then, I'm not sure he's helping you that much. They need a veteran who knows how to read coverages correctly and get open. Watkins, Lazard and Cobb can do that, they just can't stay healthy. The youngsters can't do that consistently yet. I'm not sure Mims can either, that he's fallen out of favor is concerning.

A R2 for Claypool is too rich for me. I don't think he helps them for many of the same reasons as Mims. Maybe you can just tell Claypool or Mims to run 9 routes and hope they will scare a secondary, but I don't know if I'd hang my hat on that. Giving up a (roughly) Top 50 pick for 1.5 seasons of Claypool doesn't seem worth it IMO.

JABF
11-02-2022, 04:10 PM

Roquan was not happy in Chicago and he is a head case. He is out of contract at the end of this season and there was zero chance of him signing here. He represents himself (no agent) and he wanted crazy money at a position that is not worth that kind of money in Chicago anyway. The GM thought he'd get something out of him before he left (no way was he getting paid franchise tag money here).

The WR, Claypool was needed because the Bears WR unit is a toilet. We have a decent WR2... maybe he is a decent WR3 (Mooney) and that's "it" here. We have stone hand guys who can't run routes correctly (some have admitted they are doing this on Fields). Anyway, the FA market for 2023 wasn't looking so good and our GM overpaid for Claypool. Green Bay was smart to not overbid the Bears because the Bears overpaid on this one. A lot of Bears fans are hot about giving up a high 2nd round draft pick on him.

Bretsky
11-02-2022, 07:56 PM
So give away a zach tom or a romeo dobbs in addition to giving up a Jenkins or a myers? Thats starting to get pretty expensive.....and no sure thing the steelers would want that rather than the bears pick.

How about two 3rd’s. Would hate to gives up a dequirra or rogers or sternberger….oops
My bad he’s tweeting that Green Bay should have never drafted him…lol

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2022, 01:31 AM
Funny that the Bears couldn't make up their minds if they were "sellers" or "buyers" at the trade deadline. I'd say they probably got worse with the Quinn, Roquan, and Claypool deals - which is really saying something considering how bad they were to start with hahahaha.

bobblehead
11-03-2022, 07:26 AM
How about two 3rd’s. Would hate to gives up a dequirra or rogers or sternberger….oops
My bad he’s tweeting that Green Bay should have never drafted him…lol

Now we're talking :P

Fritz
11-03-2022, 08:24 AM
Roquan was not happy in Chicago and he is a head case. He is out of contract at the end of this season and there was zero chance of him signing here. He represents himself (no agent) and he wanted crazy money at a position that is not worth that kind of money in Chicago anyway. The GM thought he'd get something out of him before he left (no way was he getting paid franchise tag money here).

The WR, Claypool was needed because the Bears WR unit is a toilet. We have a decent WR2... maybe he is a decent WR3 (Mooney) and that's "it" here. We have stone hand guys who can't run routes correctly (some have admitted they are doing this on Fields). Anyway, the FA market for 2023 wasn't looking so good and our GM overpaid for Claypool. Green Bay was smart to not overbid the Bears because the Bears overpaid on this one. A lot of Bears fans are hot about giving up a high 2nd round draft pick on him.

So Equanimity St. Brown isn't killing it?

JABF
11-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Funny that the Bears couldn't make up their minds if they were "sellers" or "buyers" at the trade deadline. I'd say they probably got worse with the Quinn, Roquan, and Claypool deals - which is really saying something considering how bad they were to start with hahahaha.

Quinn dropped off the planet in his play. He is 33 years old with 1 sack this season. I'm glad they got a 4th for him. I like to see old players moved while they still have some value. Roquan is a head case who's contract ends at the end of this season - and does not want to be in Chicago. The guy has "issues" and there is no way the Bears should pay him franchise tag money. Not for an ILB. He doesn't have an agent and thinks he deserves crazy money (he turned down very good money offered to him this year). The Ravens may only have him for half a season and he'll be unsignable. The Bears got a 2nd and the Ravens higher 5th pick for a guy that was leaving in a few months - without the Bears getting a ham sandwich for him. Considering the baggage Roquan has, I'm mighty thankful we got what we got for him. Claypool was a 2nd round pick investment. The FA WR crop in '23 looks like it will be a dumpster fire. That drove the decision to get a guy who actually is a very good fit for Fields. We have another 2nd round pick so it wasn't the end of the world to bring in a guy who is arguably better than anyone we now have at WR. There must be some value to the guy if Green Bay offered their 2nd round pick trying to get him. My hope is that the Bears end up with a top-5 draft pick this year and they get a true WR1 with that pick. There are a couple of legit studs in this draft at WR who will be gone by pick-10.

The Bears have chosen to go full-rebuild and going with young players. They are sellers but in this 1 case it made some sense to go after a very young Claypool who is a good fit with Fields. He is just 1 piece in a big rebuild project. The previous GM had pissed away draft picks and spent the cap... so there wasn't much to work with to begin the rebuild this year... just the teardown off loading players that didn't fit with a rebuild. Claypool will be a nice addition. And he gets half of this 2022 season to build a chemistry with Fields. For the Bears, 2022 was the very painful teardown of the roster. They were in cap hell when the old GM left. But with the radical rebuild, in 2023 we have a healthy cap to spend of OVER $100-Million dollars and we'll have a very high draft position (we have 7 draft picks now). So the rebuild begins in '23. It is a painful process but I do believe it was the right move for us.

JABF
11-03-2022, 10:11 AM
So Equanimity St. Brown isn't killing it?

LOL, who? No, he's not doing much. Another wannabee who will be gone in '23. We have stone-hand guys who are running wrong routes or poor route runners. Fields has Mooney who is probably a WR3, but being used as a WR1. Opposing defenses take Mooney out and that's "it" for our passing game. The OL is one of the worst in the NFL for pass protection, and we now have 3 starters out. We have a rookie 5th round LT who "protects" Fields' blind side. Another 5th round player in his 2nd season at RT (who is out due to injury... so we get an even worse guy in now to replace him), and an undrafted dude at center who is pitiful (just getting tossed aside like a rag doll all game long). Our best OL guy, Whitehair is now on IR... he's our LG. So basically the Bears have 1 decent OL, Jenkins, a second year kid at RG (and yesterday he didn't practice due to an injured back... he missed most of last year after serious back surgery). Bears are a mess.

Fields has nothing to work with. Claypool may not be much but he is better than what we have now. Fields is basically hung out to dry in 2022 taking one for the team. But in 2023 the Bears have the draft and cap money to reward him well, with some real talent. I expect '24 to build upon that too. A full blown rebuild is painful. That's why most teams do not do it. We will see if the Bears decision to nuke the roster in a scorched earth rebuild effort was crazy or wise. We won't know for a year or two. LOL, just be thankful you guys don't have to endure something like this. It isn't a cakewalk :-)

Fritz
11-03-2022, 11:50 AM
LOL, who? No, he's not doing much. Another wannabee who will be gone in '23. We have stone-hand guys who are running wrong routes or poor route runners. Fields has Mooney who is probably a WR3, but being used as a WR1. Opposing defenses take Mooney out and that's "it" for our passing game. The OL is one of the worst in the NFL for pass protection, and we now have 3 starters out. We have a rookie 5th round LT who "protects" Fields' blind side. Another 5th round player in his 2nd season at RT (who is out due to injury... so we get an even worse guy in now to replace him), and an undrafted dude at center who is pitiful (just getting tossed aside like a rag doll all game long). Our best OL guy, Whitehair is now on IR... he's our LG. So basically the Bears have 1 decent OL, Jenkins, a second year kid at RG (and yesterday he didn't practice due to an injured back... he missed most of last year after serious back surgery). Bears are a mess.

Fields has nothing to work with. Claypool may not be much but he is better than what we have now. Fields is basically hung out to dry in 2022 taking one for the team. But in 2023 the Bears have the draft and cap money to reward him well, with some real talent. I expect '24 to build upon that too. A full blown rebuild is painful. That's why most teams do not do it. We will see if the Bears decision to nuke the roster in a scorched earth rebuild effort was crazy or wise. We won't know for a year or two. LOL, just be thankful you guys don't have to endure something like this. It isn't a cakewalk :-)

Our time may be coming.

run pMc
11-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Bears claimed a bunch of players from other team's final cutdowns. That tells you about their overall talent level.
Having cap space and draft capital will help them rebuild faster, but it will be interesting to see if they think Fields will be part of that, and if Claypool was worth it. They gave up what looks to be a Top 50 pick for him which is valuable for a rebuilding team.
And no, I probably wouldn't have signed Roquan to a crazy top dollar deal either. Good player, but he wasn't Urlacher. I'm not sure he's even Lavonte David.

I don't think Robert Quinn had a lot of help on the DL, and he's getting older. Still a good player but if you're going to be a seller and you can get something for him I get it.

The selling made the Claypool trade more curious IMO. They are a pretty good running team despite their OL so who knows. Maybe they think he can do things the other WRs can't, or gives Fields some help. He's got some diva to him I guess but he's an upgrade over ESB or Byron Pringle.

red
11-03-2022, 09:15 PM
whats sad is that management "leaked" the news that we also offered a 2nd for claypool

seems like its just another move by the team to act like they are doing everything they can

but, i don't think its a good look. so out of all the WRs in the NFL, claypool was the only one that they thought could help us. why wasn't there a plan B? why did we wait until the last day to try and make a move? seemed obvious we needed help over a month ago, maybe if we made an offer a few weeks ago the bears wouldn't have been able to swoop in and swipe him.

was there any thought about going after anyone else that could help us? we need a TE (needed one for years), so did the vikings, they made a call and got a really good one for next to nothing

at times i feel like some other GMs and play 4 dimensional chess, out our GM is playing GO FISH just picking up random guys in the draft that we don't even need

Teamcheez1
11-04-2022, 07:23 AM
We are 3-5. I read somewhere that we have about a 5% chance of making the playoffs.

I would have been fine with a 2nd for Claypool, but it probably barely moves the needle on our playoff chances. Realistically, this team isn’t going anywhere, so the draft pick is worth more in keeping. That’s where we are. Talking about what we could or should have done the last 2 years doesn’t change the reality of today.

bobblehead
11-06-2022, 07:30 AM
"Schefter reports the Packers were willing to give up a second-round pick and a later-round pick for Claypool, but the Steelers eventually went with the Bears’ offer because the team believes Green Bay will get its season turned around and instead wanted Chicago’s second-rounder."

From an article on Packerswire

Sparkey
11-06-2022, 08:07 AM
Report earlier today said they tried to acquire Darren Waller from the Raiders at the deadline but the Raiders declined.

They also inquired on DJ Moore but were told he was considered a part of Carolina's core and won't be moved.

run pMc
11-06-2022, 09:04 AM
Report earlier today said they tried to acquire Darren Waller from the Raiders at the deadline but the Raiders declined.

They also inquired on DJ Moore but were told he was considered a part of Carolina's core and won't be moved.

They wanted Waller in the Adams trade, and they mentioned they were in talks at trade deadline for a 'significant offensive player' so that fits, but it's just a report they'll likely never go officially on record admitting. Waller would be a nice addition, but I still think Hockenson would've been a better move (if they were even players there; doubt it) because he can block. Their cap situation next year is a mess and maybe they thought they couldn't fit his 5th year option. Hell, if they could've traded Savage for Hockenson and you'd have most of it covered.

I think they are pretty stuck because of Rodgers and Bahk's contracts. Devondre and Jaire's contracts aren't as bad but you can't keep signing players to top 5 contracts and not end up with a stars-and-scrubs roster, which (as the Rams are also showing) isn't working out this year -- especially if the stars underperform. I'm starting to become more certain they are going to have to do something about Bahktiari's contract, including possibly cutting him. I doubt anyone is going to give up a pick for him given his knee and age.

I feel like this is a team that is going to try to keep picks and just get younger/cheaper... so I'm not surprised they made some attempts to trade but didn't overreach.

run pMc
11-06-2022, 10:15 AM
I guess it was reported by Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1589274724533784576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">

went after Claypool, Waller, Moore and Jeudy. Struck out on all 4. Going after Waller (it is theorized) and thinking it was better than 50/50 was likely why they didn't go after Hockenson.

red
11-06-2022, 11:01 AM
who in our front office has the giant man crush on waller?

i think this is the third time we tried to get him. we tried to get him in the admas trade, then i think we tried to trade for him straight up after that, now this

i don't get the whole "we didn't go after TJ because we thought we had a chance at waller. hockenson is much younger and all around better IMO. and healthy!!!!

Joemailman
11-06-2022, 11:23 AM

ach Kruse Retweeted
Brennen Rupp
@Brennen_Rupp

Jay Glazer just said the Packers were willing to give up a first round pick for DJ Moore.

Glazer usually has pretty good sources.

red
11-10-2022, 04:43 PM
so, waller was placed on IR

maybe we should have offered more to get him?

bobblehead
11-12-2022, 12:31 PM
who in our front office has the giant man crush on waller?

i think this is the third time we tried to get him. we tried to get him in the admas trade, then i think we tried to trade for him straight up after that, now this

i don't get the whole "we didn't go after TJ because we thought we had a chance at waller. hockenson is much younger and all around better IMO. and healthy!!!!

Waller is a monster. If you have access watch a couple of his games before the mess that is the Raiders this year. He is simply bigger and stronger than anyone covering him. He is what the Falcons are praying Pitts becomes.

bobblehead
11-12-2022, 12:32 PM
so, waller was placed on IR

maybe we should have offered more to get him?

Hell, now is the time to offer a 3rd for him then....cuz a 3rd is worthless in our hands anyway. Give Love someone to target next year.

Bretsky
11-12-2022, 04:02 PM
Hell, now is the time to offer a 3rd for him then....cuz a 3rd is worthless in our hands anyway. Give Love someone to target next year.

Love ????

EMBRACE THE TANK and give the Ohio State or Alabama somebody to target next year :))))

Joemailman
11-12-2022, 04:57 PM

Waller is 30 years old and is hurt for the 2nd year in a row. Not sure what the injuries have been, but I wouldn't give up much. He's good when healthy, but do Packers really need another receiver who has trouble staying healthy?

Fritz
11-13-2022, 09:31 AM
Waller is 30 years old and is hurt for the 2nd year in a row. Not sure what the injuries have been, but I wouldn't give up much. He's good when healthy, but do Packers really need another receiver who has trouble staying healthy?

I am glad they didn't make the trade - it would've smacked of desperation, and desperation is not a plan.

bobblehead
11-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Love ????

EMBRACE THE TANK and give the Ohio State or Alabama somebody to target next year :))))

No matter what Love would get his final rookie contract season to play...if only to tag and trade him.

bobblehead
11-13-2022, 11:50 AM

TEs last longer than any skill position outside of QB. Don't let a couple injuries take away from what he is. I would gladly give a 3rd for a guy like him. Get 4 good years out of him its worth it.

run pMc
11-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Just signed a 3yr $51M contract, he's in his 7th year and has played about 3400 snaps. Last year it was a knee injury, this time it's a lingering hamstring issue (aka "Packer leg").
Too late to get him now. A R3 might be about the limit of what I would've offered, but IDK how you work his contract in with the rest of the roster without some cookery that will end up kicking you in the balls in 2025.

This far into the year I'm not sure getting an injured Waller would have moved the needle a lot, he's on IR anyway.
Besides, playoffs are an extreme longshot and even if they get in I struggle to see them beating PHI or SF on the road. I'm not sure trading future assets in a down year (when your R3 pick will be at ~#75) is smart.