call_me_ishmael
11-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Will JLove be the Packers QB in 2025?

bobblehead
11-06-2022, 08:17 PM
He might be the QB next week.

MadtownPacker
11-06-2022, 08:57 PM
If he hasn’t been given a shot yet with all this bullshit he isn’t gonna be the starter ever.

red
11-06-2022, 09:03 PM
from what i've seen, he isn't good enough

we probably need to draft a new qb next draft

or roll with luck and get a couple high draft picks. maybe find a QB that way

but i don't see love being on the packers in 3 years. he'll be a backup somewhere else at that point

MadtownPacker
11-06-2022, 09:09 PM
Probably both leaves same time.

Joemailman
11-07-2022, 12:09 AM
Not a prediction but a scenario: Brady retires. Packers restructure Rodgers contract and trade him to Tampa Bay. (Or agree to trade him to Tampa Bay after June 1). Love becomes Packers starter.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-07-2022, 05:12 AM
I hope I am pleasantly surprised but I am just not seeing the Love..

King Friday
11-07-2022, 07:28 AM
At some point this season, we’ll probably get the chance to see what he can do. However, based on what we’ve seen so far, he’s not on track to become a starting caliber QB in this league. He just takes too long to make decisions, and he doesn’t seem to have that knack for being a playmaker. His ceiling to me is a low level starter, and that isn’t good enough. It isn’t Love’s fault, but he’ll go down as one of the worst draft picks in Packers history due to the opportunity cost we lost to add WR/TE depth when the team was on the cusp of being a title contender.

I don’t see Love being in Green Bay after his rookie contract expires.

bobblehead
11-07-2022, 10:43 AM
from what i've seen, he isn't good enough

we probably need to draft a new qb next draft

or roll with luck and get a couple high draft picks. maybe find a QB that way

but i don't see love being on the packers in 3 years. he'll be a backup somewhere else at that point

I actually have seen enough to make me think he has a shot. Last season finale when Rodgers couldn't move the ball against these same Lions Love came in and looked ok. Against a blitz happy chiefs team it took him a half to settle his nerves, but then he looked decent.

I'm in no way projecting Rodgers in his prime, but there are a lot of starting QBs in this league that are merely game managers. Surround Love with some talent and I think you can win with him.

bobblehead
11-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Not a prediction but a scenario: Brady retires. Packers restructure Rodgers contract and trade him to Tampa Bay. (Or agree to trade him to Tampa Bay after June 1). Love becomes Packers starter.

Or send him to the AFC with the Colts who cycle through another loser each year.

bobblehead
11-07-2022, 10:45 AM
At some point this season, we’ll probably get the chance to see what he can do. However, based on what we’ve seen so far, he’s not on track to become a starting caliber QB in this league. He just takes too long to make decisions, and he doesn’t seem to have that knack for being a playmaker. His ceiling to me is a low level starter, and that isn’t good enough. It isn’t Love’s fault, but he’ll go down as one of the worst draft picks in Packers history due to the opportunity cost we lost to add WR/TE depth when the team was on the cusp of being a title contender.

I don’t see Love being in Green Bay after his rookie contract expires.

This sounds IDENTICAL to most fans take around this time late 2007. I swear I'm having serious deja vu all over again.

King Friday
11-07-2022, 10:58 AM
This sounds IDENTICAL to most fans take around this time late 2007. I swear I'm having serious deja vu all over again.

Perhaps…but maybe the fans will be proven as the ones seeing correctly the second time around. Just because it seems like 2007 again does not mean Jordan Love is a future HOFer.

Sparkey
11-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Perhaps…but maybe the fans will be proven as the ones seeing correctly the second time around. Just because it seems like 2007 again does not mean Jordan Love is a future HOFer.

I don't think he said he would be a hall of famer. He was comparing the "at the time" common complaints about Aaron Rodgers. FACT, nobody knew he would be what he has become and more analysts than not expected him to be a bust. Slow delivery, questionable decision making, etc. He proved them wrong over a number of years.

Love may be an average at best qb, and pos or a future hof'er. No one know one can know for sure what he will become. He at least should get the same opportunity that Rodgers received.

Here is a FACT. Rodgers is going to be 40 soon. Most Qbs at the point age rather abruptly.

Teamcheez1
11-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Even with Rodgers playing QB the rest of the season, I would be shocked if they win more than 1or 2 games.
Time to let Love start a few games.

It is time to start retooling and rebuilding the roster.
We need to unload a lot of contracts and players.

run pMc
11-07-2022, 02:58 PM
I think we'll see Love play.
I don't think he's a franchise QB. He's a low-tier starter, and probably a capable enough backup to keep a good team afloat in a playoff race for 2-4 games.
We really haven't seen enough of him to say he's a bust. I thought they drafted a QB a year early, but at a high level I don't think it was a bad idea to draft a QB. Rodgers was in the back half of his 30's and he didn't look all that great in his first year under MLF so it made sense. I would have preferred Jalen Hurts -- he played better against a higher level of competition (than Love). I really would have preferred they keep the R4 pick and just taken Tee Higgins, but that's all water under the bridge.

As for Rodgers, I should never say never, but it's highly unlikely he's going anywhere. Unless they somehow re-work that contract he and GB are stuck together.
Brees was ok his age 40 season but his arm was almost dead and Payton adjusted the offense for that. Manning was replaced by Osweiler his last year (age 38?) even though he won a SB. Favre (40?) had the Metrodome collapse year and went 5-8 with Randy Moss. Brady is the unicorn, and even he looks pretty mortal this year.

Rodgers has to fix his footwork and get back to looking for his 2nd and 3rd reads on plays. Even that might not be enough if Father Time gets him.

If there is a good QB available, I could see them drafting one.

run pMc
11-07-2022, 03:06 PM
Even with Rodgers playing QB the rest of the season, I would be shocked if they win more than 1or 2 games.
Time to let Love start a few games.

It is time to start retooling and rebuilding the roster.
We need to unload a lot of contracts and players.

Problem is, there's not a lot of contracts/players they can unload. Lowry and Amos will be FA but they have void years so those sit on the cap. (Z. Smith, Billy Turner and Kevin King are zombies on the cap this year) Aaron Jones number goes up to $20M and he's basically the engine for the offense this year (when MLF uses him). So you could cut him. You could cut Bahktiari and gain some cap space too, but you better have a LT to replace him and be willing to piss Rodgers off by cutting his best friend. Speaking of which, Cobb is also a FA with void years. UGH

You could cut Devondre but you'd lose cap space doing so. I don't recall what you'd gain cutting Preston, but with Gary hurt you probably need him.
What do they do with Jenkins and Gary? Tag Jenkins and play Gary on his 5th year and then let him hit the market?

They renegotiated a lot of contracts with void years. Go look out on Spotrac -- their cap situation is mess next year.

(and yes, you can "cook your cap", but I'd argue they've already done that to the extent where there's not much left to cook. Add 4 void years to Rodgers contract or something similarly bonkers? There are probably other ways, but not many.)

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-07-2022, 03:19 PM
Problem is, there's not a lot of contracts/players they can unload. Lowry and Amos will be FA but they have void years so those sit on the cap. (Z. Smith, Billy Turner and Kevin King are zombies on the cap this year) Aaron Jones number goes up to $20M and he's basically the engine for the offense this year (when MLF uses him). So you could cut him. You could cut Bahktiari and gain some cap space too, but you better have a LT to replace him and be willing to piss Rodgers off by cutting his best friend. Speaking of which, Cobb is also a FA with void years. UGH

You could cut Devondre but you'd lose cap space doing so. I don't recall what you'd gain cutting Preston, but with Gary hurt you probably need him.
What do they do with Jenkins and Gary? Tag Jenkins and play Gary on his 5th year and then let him hit the market?

They renegotiated a lot of contracts with void years. Go look out on Spotrac -- their cap situation is mess next year.

(and yes, you can "cook your cap", but I'd argue they've already done that to the extent where there's not much left to cook. Add 4 void years to Rodgers contract or something similarly bonkers? There are probably other ways, but not many.)

Well, that make me feel a lot better about our situation..

Sparkey
11-07-2022, 04:35 PM

It is not as bad as it looks. Spotrac doesn't take into account pre or post 6/1 transactions and how it effects cap hits. OverTheCap, if you go to interactive gives you a better breakdown depending on cuts and when they are processed. The cap in 2024 goes up quite a bit, so if they did post 6/1 cuts or trades in 2023 it is workable.

Fritz
11-07-2022, 04:36 PM
I'm feeling the Love.

MadScientist
11-07-2022, 10:07 PM
He may be in the league in 2025, and he may even be starting, but Love will have left the Packers before then.

red
11-07-2022, 10:31 PM
at this point there is no excuse for not giving him solid playing time to see what we have

by rodgers own words the guys not playing well should be seeing less playing time

sounds like everyone on the radio today was in agreement that he fucking sucked yesterday, despite him yelling and screaming about his receivers not catching balls thrown at their feet

run pMc
11-08-2022, 09:07 AM
Rodgers has had some decent games this year, but I'm not sure he's had any "great" games. He was bad vs. Detroit yesterday.
I don't think you can bench Rodgers for Jordan Love until they are mathematically eliminated or Rodgers gets hurt. If you bench him before, I think he would force a trade or retire.

Rodgers is probably still a much better QB than Love. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think will improved surrounding talent on the offense he would be playing better, and I would be absolutely shocked if they don't make moves to improve the offense this offseason.

King Friday
11-08-2022, 10:50 AM
If you bench him before, I think he would force a trade or retire.

A trade or retirement are the Packers preferred outcome at this point. In reality, neither will happen anytime soon.

red
11-08-2022, 04:57 PM
it cracks me up that you guys think a team can force a guy to retire

just looking at his salary and cap numbers. we might have a lot of teams lined up willing to trade for him next off season

if we trade him, his cap number for next year, for his new team will be like 1.2 million

and its only like 18 million in 2024

Teamcheez1
11-08-2022, 05:35 PM
I like the Packers position. Rodgers has to accept a trade to whatever team we choose. He will certainly have some input, but ultimately, the Packers management makes the decision. And yes, someone will want to make a deal.

OR, wait for it, he may retire.

I think they will have an open discussion with him at the end of the season. I don’t believe he will want be part of a rebuild if the Packers choose that path.

Fritz
11-08-2022, 05:38 PM
He may be in the league in 2025, and he may even be starting, but Love will have left the Packers before then.

Packers trade Rodgers after June 1st, 2023, and Jordan Love gets one shot do not, etc etc, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

Fucker’s gonna be great. I am saying it now.

red
11-08-2022, 05:43 PM
even if love isn't any good in your situation, there isn't anything wrong with a down year or two

stock up on some nice draft pics

Teamcheez1
11-08-2022, 07:39 PM
What if Rodgers did something totally unexpected? Renegotiate his contract to cut his salary/cap hit down to $25-30M with no huge cap hit in future years. I know, he has no incentive to give up money, but I can always dream that AR becomes a benevolent, team player at the end of this season.

Rastak
11-08-2022, 07:55 PM
What if Rodgers did something totally unexpected? Renegotiate his contract to cut his salary/cap hit down to $25-30M with no huge cap hit in future years. I know, he has no incentive to give up money, but I can always dream that AR becomes a benevolent, team player at the end of this season.

What if he cuts his salary to the minimum to help sign players? What if I get elected president on write in votes in two years. Gotta be realistic. I guess what you propose is extremely unlikely but I concede it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

red
11-08-2022, 07:59 PM

how?

theres no salary cap money to give back

other then the pro rated signing bonus hit for next year, which you can't decrease at all, he only counts the minimum salary against the cap, and a very small roster bonus

30.4 million of his 31.6 million dollar cap number for next season is tied up in pro rated signing bonuses

i'll give you guys another shock number. his cap number this year is 28.5 million, not quite the 25% of the cap so many people are bitching about him taking up

his contract right now, is not the reason this team sucks

red
11-08-2022, 08:02 PM
What if he cuts his salary to the minimum to help sign players? What if I get elected president on write in votes in two years. Gotta be realistic. I guess what you propose is extremely unlikely but I concede it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

his salary already is the minimum or close to it for the next 3 seasons

2022- 1.15 million
2023- 1.165 million
2024- 2.25 million this is the year the big roster bonuses kick in (15.6 million)

there is no money to give back or take back for the next couple of years

his cap number is what it is

Rastak
11-08-2022, 08:04 PM

2022- 1.15 million
2023- 1.165 million
2024- 2.25 million this is the year the big roster bonuses kick in (15.6 million)

He'd have to sign on a new contract getting rid of all the money he's due.

edit: Other than the signing bonus he's already got which is pretty substantial.

Fritz
11-09-2022, 08:38 AM
how?

theres no salary cap money to give back

other then the pro rated signing bonus hit for next year, which you can't decrease at all, he only counts the minimum salary against the cap, and a very small roster bonus

30.4 million of his 31.6 million dollar cap number for next season is tied up in pro rated signing bonuses

i'll give you guys another shock number. his cap number this year is 28.5 million, not quite the 25% of the cap so many people are bitching about him taking up

his contract right now, is not the reason this team sucks

Red, you totally blow your cover when you post stuff like this. Your crazy avatar, your references to drinking, your gruff blunt posts that suggest you're just shooting from the hip - all that shit you work so hard to cultivate goes up in smoke here because obviously you're quite sharp. I always did like you, Red. Both sides.

run pMc
11-09-2022, 02:06 PM
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085

I don't think MLF, Gute, etc. can force Rodgers to retire. He's stubborn and won't let anyone decide for him if he can help it.
Packers gave him a lot of guaranteed money which impacts his numbers, including an option next year, etc.

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers

I suspect they keep Rodgers unless things really unravel in the next few games and he retires after next season.

Rastak
11-09-2022, 02:57 PM

2022- 1.15 million
2023- 1.165 million

Yea, I suppose he could give up future guarantees but you can't do shit with the original large signing bonus.

Teamcheez1
11-09-2022, 04:10 PM
How is Rodgers going to react when he is told Jordan Love is starting the next game at some point this season?

red
11-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Red, you totally blow your cover when you post stuff like this. Your crazy avatar, your references to drinking, your gruff blunt posts that suggest you're just shooting from the hip - all that shit you work so hard to cultivate goes up in smoke here because obviously you're quite sharp. I always did like you, Red. Both sides.

i'm not drunk and/or high all the time

Joemailman
11-09-2022, 06:45 PM
Aaron Nagler

Nov 7
The Saints look like you're supposed to after you continuously kick the cap can down the street desperately trying to get your aging superstar QB back to the Super Bowl. The problem in Green Bay is they look like that NOW, while they still HAVE the aging superstar QB.

MadtownPacker
11-10-2022, 12:51 AM
How is Rodgers going to react when he is told Jordan Love is starting the next game at some point this season?I prefer it happens during a game so we all get to see the reaction. It was 100% justified the last game and should have happened.