PDA

View Full Version : Throw the damn rock, M3

Tarlam!
09-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I've been pretty damned quiet of late. M3 won't have noticed, but I have!

The reason is because I do not believe M3 has understood how this game can be played with the players we have.

It is nice that he adheres to ol' fashioned ball. I like that, too. But, we don't have the players for it. We certainly don't have the depth for it.

We need to put the fear of Favre into the Saints' defense. We need triple TE's going on short slants making 4 yrads a catch. We need DD as a lone deep threat - he can beat triple coverage!

What we should not rely on is our running game.

mmmdk
09-16-2006, 08:49 AM
This is absolutely correct, Tarlam. You can't force the rock, on an NFL opponant when you seriously lack the talent in your running game. Throw the damn ball. Don't turn Favre into a rookie, tell him to throw it and tell Favre to throw it away, at times, instead of triple coverage. Like the latter will actually happen. I believe FavreChild said it best; that McCarthy is experimenting with the team and then try winning - not gonna happen. Packers have a zillion rookies and youngsters but no Reggie Bush. Packers have a good shot at a young superstar in the next draft - that might be for the better, for the future. Plus, get some FA O-line guys to protect our QB, be it Favre, Rodgers or Quinn.

xxmattsharpxx
09-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Amen Tarlam!

It would be one thing to keep running the ball if we had a good or even decent offensive line(which everyone knows we do not have). Pass the ball and score a little bit, then you can give a healthy dose of Ahman. :smile:

Tarlam!
09-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the forum xx--xx!

BallHawk
09-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the forum xx--xx!

ditto.

FritzDontBlitz
09-16-2006, 09:32 AM
i agree. why beg favre to come back if you not gonna let him throw the pill? why have 4 te's on the roster if you not gonna use them to catch a pass? why wear ahman green out by being one dimensional in short yardage situations? bubba is a pro bowler for god sakes, THROW HIM THE DAMN BALL!!!

in week one, m3 put favre in the exact same position he promised not to put him in: hopelessly behind and forced to throw on almost every down to catch up.

i for one am going to attribute m3's week 1 brain cramp to being overwhelmed by the atmosphere of his first league game combined with facing the best defensive team he'll see all season.

will he learn from his mistakes?

Packnut
09-16-2006, 09:36 AM
It's the old theory of forcing a square peg into a round hole. I don't see it changing because this is MM's philosophy. It also may be a good philosophy IF you have a very good defense that will keep you in games while your trying to wear your opponent down with the run. However, what has totally turned me off about MM is that we do not have the kind of defense needed to support his offensive philosophy yet he will not adapt to reality.

Tarlam!
09-16-2006, 09:47 AM
i for one am going to attribute m3's week 1 brain cramp

Now that is BOMNF!

Also, what Packnut said about our "D" - I never even considered them when starting this post, but our "D" is not even right for us to consider a ground it out type of offense!

FritzDontBlitz
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
i for one am going to attribute m3's week 1 brain cramp

Now that is BOMNF!

Also, what Packnut said about our "D" - I never even considered them when starting this post, but our "D" is not even right for us to consider a ground it out type of offense!

not sure what "bomnf" is, but i was referring to m3's playcalling for the most part - not the rest of the week 1 debacle.....

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Tarlam!

You're being overly negative and pessimistic about MMs 4TE, run blocking scheme. I think it's great. Guaranteed to pick up at least 0.875 yard/carry. That's better than any rate you'll get from any bank.

MM - dipping into the past to fuel the future:

http://www4.colgate.edu/scene/sept2004/images/13a.jpg

Tarlam!
09-16-2006, 10:43 AM
ray, I don't know why, but, I reckon your posts of late might be labelled sarcastic.....'sup guy??

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Cleft Crusty here. I was at the Packers practice where the Packers worked to perfect their 4TE run blocking scheme. It looked highly effective until the defense replaced Al Harris and Charles Woodson with Jenkins and Cole. Still, as advertised, the Packers consistently picked up from 0.75 to 1.15 yards per carry.

Picture from practice of the 4TE JUMBO package
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/images/footballcollege/pc-fb-1909spokane.jpg

OS PA
09-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I like that he's trying to set up the pass through the run, and I think we'll only get better as our O-line gels, but even with Green pumping out 110 yards against the Bears we didn't convert the third downs that mattered. We should come out passing on first down, run on second, and then pass/run on third depending on the situation. 3rd and 1 isn't always a running down either, we have Favre he can throw the ball still. We need first downs, that's our priority this week.

Tarlam!
09-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Now, I know I could have won a job on that team, I just know it!

Damn, I knew I was born 100 years late!

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 11:23 AM
3rd and 1 isn't always a running down either, we have Favre he can throw the ball still.

Exactly! Favre used to run the 'flanker option' all the time to Sharpe or Brooks. At least once in a while, MM might consider pulling ths one out of his a.. playbook.

MJZiggy
09-16-2006, 11:28 AM
What he said about this last week was that this specific game plan was specifically designed this way because not only is Chicago very talented in defending the short pass, they were looking for it as well, so rather than throw the ball to their strength, he inserted more runs than he might have otherwise. He also said that NO is a different team that plays differently and will have a different game plan. What that game plan might be, he didn't specify, but that's what he said anyway.

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 11:47 AM
What he said about this last week was that this specific game plan was specifically designed this way because not only is Chicago very talented in defending the short pass, they were looking for it as well, so rather than throw the ball to their strength, he inserted more runs than he might have otherwise. He also said that NO is a different team that plays differently and will have a different game plan. What that game plan might be, he didn't specify, but that's what he said anyway.

I heard this too. Still, I would argue that the Packers three times on three critical downs two 3rd and 1s and 1 4th and 1 put their weakness - their guards and a hobbled and sick Clifton against the Chicago strength - their D-line - and lost all three times. No matter how good they are at defending the short pass, you would think the Packers might want to try their strengths - Favre to Driver or Green - in a short yardage situation. Another thought is that missing Henderson hurt them because he's such a reliable receiver and always seems to get the first guy to miss.

MJZiggy
09-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Actually, they didn't lose, but the refs blew the call and Kurt Schottenheimer doesn't know when to tell the coach he made it and the spot should be challenged, but I digress, What were we talking about?