PDA

View Full Version : QB Smith shows signs of maturity

Scott Campbell
09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Rodgers can get better too.

QB Smith shows signs of maturity
By Ann Killion
San Jose Mercury News

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Let's not forget that Alex Smith is still the youngest starting quarterback in the NFL. Still the youngest, 18 months and one full draft class after he was picked by the 49ers.
And he would still be the youngest even if rookies Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler were all to start this week.
So the best part of the 49ers' first week of the new season wasn't when they showed life and fight against Arizona. It wasn't that Smith passed for 288 yards against the Cardinals.
Instead it was on Monday, when the 22-year-old was asked what his reaction would be if receiver Antonio Bryant started lobbying for the ball.
Smith said, "I don't want to hear from a receiver that he's open all the time. I have enough on my plate."
When told about his quarterback's comment, Mike Nolan burst out laughing.
"Good for him," Nolan said. "He needs to be able to say that. And the receiver needs to respect that he said it."
Smith's comment reflects his growing maturity, his willingness to take charge and his awareness of how much is expected of him. It's the kind of comment that shows he's growing up.
Now if he could just do it faster.
"It's such an important job," Nolan said. "It's different than raising your kids when you just want them to be happy. This guy has to be good. It doesn't help me if he's just happy. It doesn't help him. He needs to come out a warrior."
That's why there's been no coddling or hand-holding of Smith. Nolan's approach has been tough love. He lets Smith know what's expected and doesn't spend a lot of time giving him pep talks or atta-boys.
"You can't treat him with kid gloves," Nolan said. "That's why, as rough as it was,

last year was a great experience for him."
And it was rough. Backup quarterback Trent Dilfer figures that Smith is really closer to 29 than 22.
"This league has a way of aging you," Dilfer said. "Every losing year is like a dog year. He looks like he's 12 but he acts like he's been in the league."
Dilfer, who was brought on to help mentor Smith, also refuses to baby the kid.
"There's a danger in looking at him as a young guy and taking it easy on him," said Dilfer, who was treated that way when he was a first-round draft pick for Tampa Bay. He said he was never pushed or challenged.
Dilfer's job is to compete with Smith and to push him every day in practice. And he takes that job seriously. He believes the best quarterbacks are a product of how intense the quarterback room is. And he likes what he sees from Smith.
"I came in here looking for certain things, at how mentally and physically tough he is," Dilfer said. "How resilient he is. You can't be a success in this league and not be. Nothing really gets under his skin. But he knows what's been said about him and it fuels his fire a little bit."
Smith appreciates the overall lack of coddling.
"That's the style of coaching I respond to," he said. "No excuses. Just push, push, push. It makes you accelerate things."

mraynrand
09-16-2006, 11:26 AM
"You can't be a success in this league and not be. " Trent Dilfer

This is good advice. The Packer just need to be.