Aaron Jones - 126 total yards, TD

A.J. Dillon - 71 total yards, 2 TD

Rasul Douglas - 8 tackles, 1 INT, 1 lateral

Doubs and Watson combined for 101 yards receiving

Nixon - 3 KO returns for 95 yards, 2 punt returns for 36 yards

Discuss

RashanGary
12-19-2022, 10:33 PM
Some things to feel good about. Watson and Doubs. The two running backs….. Next year the OL could improve with Bakh maybe being 100% and Tom gaining 5 lbs of good weight.

The future doesn’t look as grim as it did a few weeks ago before Watson broke out.

run pMc
12-19-2022, 11:02 PM
I think they need a 3rd receiver -- a TE would be nice -- to help the passing offense.

No idea if Bahk and Jones will be back with their contracts. I expect they will do everything to keep Jones, but as good as Bahktiari is when he's in the lineup, he's probably not going to be in the lineup more than 75% of the time. Tough to allocate $20M+ to a guy you can't count on.

I think they should get Tom to put on 10 pounds of good weight and get stronger and play him at tackle. His feet are good enough and his technique is coming along. I suspect Wake Forest didn't exactly have the top strength and nutrition program in college football, and he's a smart guy. OL generally played well, Rodgers took at least one sack that pushed them out of FG range, and another one was on him. They run blocked really well and Rodgers was pretty accurate. Not sure who the INT was on, some "experts" said Lazard & while others said Rodgers. You'd think there wouldn't be miscommunication with those two.

Nixon at returner has been a revelation. That dude is fearless and I love it. How did they not swap out Amari with Keisean after 3 games? Unreal.
Aaron Jones started slow but got better -- the Rams couldn't really stop Jones or Dillon for a while there. I think Dillon might've softened up that defense, his final numbers were so-so but the TDs were physical runs that can be tonesetters.

Defense was meh, Preston Smith came to play, Quay had some good plays, Enagbare too. Kenny Clark showed up a couple times as well. I think they still play a little too soft and I put that on the DC...felt like they are still a bit too loose and better teams can easily exploit that.

There was a Devonte Wyatt sighting -- he got a sack.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2022, 12:07 AM
The Rams seemed to adjust their D at halftime. We had been gashing them with the run game. In the second half, they shut down the run, presumably by putting an extra man in the box. That opened it up for the passing game. Good counter adjustment by the Packers. The Packers offense is getting there, but it needs to improve more yet. The D played better tonight, but they're gonna need to be better yet also.

A lot of the remaining games all around the league are gonna be skewed by teams playing that don't need to win. Hopefully, that will help us more than it hurts us.

The Packers O Line is better IMO without Bakhtiari than they were with it, even other seasons - I know ya'all sacred cow fans aren't buying that, but pass blocking or run blocking, either one/both seem better with what we have now. Originally, I didn't like Tom, but he's been looking like a player ever since they put him at LT.

Dillon: I'll give him credit for another nice game tonight, but he's not even close to as valuable as Aaron Jones. It would be insane to let Jones go. Patrick Taylor is more than adequate as a #3 RB also.

And whatever the dumbass whiners may think, Rodgers is still capable of carrying the team, more so than ever with the rookie receivers shaping up.

As for the D, I didn't see anything at all of Lowery - a good thing. Did he even hit the field? I also didn't see T.J. Slaton - did he play? Wyatt little by little is playing better - they say it takes a while for D Linemen to get good. I still think Barry is not making very effective use of the talent we have. Our DBs in particular should be playing way better than they are, and I still say that is on the D coaches.

At the start of the season, it seemed like the Packers were at or very near the top of the NFL. The potential is still there. Whether there is still hope this season or next, team is gonna be damn good.

Fritz
12-20-2022, 07:29 AM
This game was a mirage. The Rams were playing lots of third stringers and a QB they signed off the scrap heap a week and a half ago.

I still think the best option for this franchise's future is to trade Rodgers after June 1, if they can. Dump Bakh too, if that would help. Live with two years of cap hell and either let Love develop or look to draft your next QB, or both.

beveaux1
12-20-2022, 08:58 AM
This game was a mirage. The Rams were playing lots of third stringers and a QB they signed off the scrap heap a week and a half ago.

I still think the best option for this franchise's future is to trade Rodgers after June 1, if they can. Dump Bakh too, if that would help. Live with two years of cap hell and either let Love develop or look to draft your next QB, or both.

Really comes down to this. Is Bakh worth 6 million to be on the roster next year playing 75% of the time. Cutting him saves that much money. It doesn't matter that his cap charge is 26 million next year, because dead cap is 20 million.

That's on the books no matter what.

bobblehead
12-20-2022, 09:27 AM

I agree Fritz. As I watched this game I was thinking exactly that. We looked good. We won. But given the opposition we should have dominated if we want to believe we can go into Miami and win. Next week will expose our D and if it doesn't cost Barry his job then MiLF is an idiot.

My big hope to end the season is that Love looks great in a 2 week run, and Bahk stays on the field for 3 consecutive games and balls out so we can package him with Rodgers. As things stand you might get a 4th for him if some team really believes they are a LT away.

Weight lifters refer to 20/10. That would be peeling off 20 pounds of bad weight to replace it with 10 of good. Zach needs to pull off the 10/20 this offseason. He is really good. Jones is electric and he and Dillon are the perfect lightning and thunder. This is a good TE draft as well. It could be the perfect time have 2 seconds and revamp the room.

Joemailman
12-20-2022, 12:22 PM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Romeo Doubs played 23 snaps in his return last night and 13 of them were with Christian Watson also on the field. Previously, they had totaled just 52 snaps together for the season.

Aaron Rodgers went 7-for-7 with one sack on those 13 plays (8 of which went for first downs)

Didn't realize Doubs only played 23 snaps. That makes his night even more impressive.

run pMc
12-20-2022, 12:59 PM
To be clear, I think Bahktiari has played at a high level since returning, and the PFF numbers and advanced stats bear that out -- he's been one of the top rated LTs this year.
(Tex can disagree, but the professional film watchers say otherwise.)

Having a guy like that is super useful -- it's been argued that his injury cost them the TB NFCCG and could've helped them last year vs. SF -- but I don't know how you can pay him top LT money if you can't trust him to be available, plus there are younger cheaper players who look capable of stepping in (Tom, Njiman). Pretending to be a GM, I'd look at trading him for a pick that was conditional upon how much he played for his new team. Otherwise I'd explore redoing his contract before cutting him. He's Rodgers best buddy on the team and still a good player, although I think that knee injury will shorten his career and bother him for the rest of his life.

run pMc
12-20-2022, 01:06 PM
Agree with Fritz that this game was a mirage. The Rams D played inspired and have a few good pieces still with Floyd, Ramsey, Wagner, etc., but without Aaron Donald they are average. Offense is where they are really limited - backups all over their OL, a guy off the streets at QB, nobody you'd call a WR2 running routes. That offense was all Cam Akers.

The defense has basically given up on Barry, and who can blame them? A 14 year old who plays a lot of Madden could call a defensive game as well as he does. The Packers are talented enough on D to shut down a Rams offense starting scrubs. Basically they played well when they should have. I'm not going to pretend they will shut down Miami just because they held the Rams to "only" a 4.2 ypc on rushes, or because Baker threw short and sometimes into tight coverage. Tutu Atwell is not a Pro Bowl WR.

Joemailman
12-20-2022, 01:19 PM
To be clear, I think Bahktiari has played at a high level since returning, and the PFF numbers and advanced stats bear that out -- he's been one of the top rated LTs this year.
(Tex can disagree, but the professional film watchers say otherwise.)

Having a guy like that is super useful -- it's been argued that his injury cost them the TB NFCCG and could've helped them last year vs. SF -- but I don't know how you can pay him top LT money if you can't trust him to be available, plus there are younger cheaper players who look capable of stepping in (Tom, Njiman). Pretending to be a GM, I'd look at trading him for a pick that was conditional upon how much he played for his new team. Otherwise I'd explore redoing his contract before cutting him. He's Rodgers best buddy on the team and still a good player, although I think that knee injury will shorten his career and bother him for the rest of his life.

Before the appendicitis, which is a fluke thing, he had started 5 straight games including a Thursday Night (although he didn't finish against Detroit). It's possible the worst of the knee problems are behind him. At any rate, he was looking like the All-Pro Bakhtiari before the appendicitis. Do you get rid of someone like that to save 6 million on the cap? He is due a 9.5 million roster bonus in March. Maybe they convert that into signing bonus to create some cap space. They've done that before with Bakhtiari. Tough questions for Gute.

run pMc
12-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Before the appendicitis, which is a fluke thing, he had started 5 straight games including a Thursday Night (although he didn't finish against Detroit). It's possible the worst of the knee problems are behind him. At any rate, he was looking like the All-Pro Bakhtiari before the appendicitis. Do you get rid of someone like that to save 6 million on the cap? He is due a 9.5 million roster bonus in March. Maybe they convert that into signing bonus to create some cap space. They've done that before with Bakhtiari. Tough questions for Gute.

Agree it's bad idea to cut an All-Pro to save 6M, especially at LT. That's a premium position. I think it's likely they redo some part of his contract.
Bahtiari's contract might be almost as bad as Rodgers.

If it comes down to cutting him to keep Jenkins, I'd think about it. Jenkins is younger/more versatile. The other part of the calculus is they have players who are at least passable at T (Tom, Njiman, maybe Jenkins, and who knows about year-2 Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker) so they may be able to deal from a position of depth to free up cap space and get younger.

Definitely tough decisions for Gute. Going to be a fascinating offseason... Do they make some surprise cuts or do they kick the can further down the road to run back a team that was aging/underperforming this year.

run pMc
12-20-2022, 05:27 PM
Loved the way they closed out the game - GB had the ball with 8:51 left and the Rams never got it back.

red
12-20-2022, 09:10 PM
whats up with rodgers bitching out watson at the end of the game then bitching about him to the world in the on field interview afterwards saying "if he wants to catch TDs, then run the right route"

noting like trying to take a rookie down a few pegs because he missed you little hand signal pre snap

i'm done with him

he'll bitch out his WRs, but he's the one throwing balls to the defense while his WRs are running wide open

Fosco33
12-20-2022, 09:34 PM
whats up with rodgers bitching out watson at the end of the game then bitching about him to the world in the on field interview afterwards saying "if he wants to catch TDs, then run the right route"

noting like trying to take a rookie down a few pegs because he missed you little hand signal pre snap

i'm done with him

he'll bitch out his WRs, but he's the one throwing balls to the defense while his WRs are running wide open

I saw the same thing and he had a smirk and laughed - as in a joke.

I didn’t like Rodgers 3-6 years ago but I’m a big fan now.

But our opinion of him obviously means nothing. And the last person that cares is ARod.

Freak Out
12-20-2022, 10:32 PM
I thought Rodgers played great. Dude can still throw daggers. If he comes back make the needed upgrades plus a new DC and roll. Superb Owl baby. Watson and Romeo are going to kill it.

call_me_ishmael
12-20-2022, 11:14 PM
I thought Rodgers played great. Dude can still throw daggers. If he comes back make the needed upgrades plus a new DC and roll. Superb Owl baby. Watson and Romeo are going to kill it.

This is the way.

call_me_ishmael
12-20-2022, 11:16 PM
Chad Clifton played until 35 +- some days. I think it's plausible they ride the Bahktiari horse for a few more years if Elgton isn't the LT of the future (he certainly doesn't appear to be at this point). Pay Elg, Pay Yosh, like that line down.

MadScientist
12-21-2022, 03:15 AM
The Packers just posted this:

Keisean Nixon leads the NFL with eight kickoff returns of 30+ yards this season
Especially impressive since he only had 1 kick return in the first 7 games. Also when has anything associated with the Packers return game led the league in a positive stat.

Teamcheez1
12-21-2022, 08:26 AM
Trade Bakh, save the $6M dollars. You’ll pick up the other $20M in 2024. He is not worth the injury risk at that price.

texaspackerbacker
12-21-2022, 04:25 PM

Especially impressive since he only had 1 kick return in the first 7 games. Also when has anything associated with the Packers return game led the league in a positive stat.

That also kinda means they have received a lot of kickoffs.

I read something about Nixon - he says he wants to play some as a slot receiver. I'd give him a shot at that, considering what he has shown in broken field running plus what he may have learned covering slot receivers.

MadtownPacker
12-22-2022, 09:05 AM
Agreed Tex, he has great vision and is playing with confidence right now. Get him the ball short and see what he does. Maybe a sick double end around with him and Watson.

bobblehead
12-22-2022, 09:30 AM
So a couple tidbits in PFF grades this week.

Doubs top rated offensive player. 23 snaps, 10 routes, 5 catches. My comp to Michael Thomas feels more accurate than ever.

Jenkins finally had an elite game. Best run blocker on OL and 80.1 overall.

Top 2 grades on defense were Quay and Wyatt. Not coincidentally that seemed to also lead to one of Kenny Clarks best grades of the year.

Bottom line, we played scrubs and winning in Miami is a tough ask, but if they can pull it off, it seems things are peaking at just the right time.

bobblehead
12-22-2022, 09:39 AM

i'm done with him

I don't know their relationship, and I don't know Watson's temperament. Some guys respond better to hard coaching, some guys need kid gloves. Rodgers has also praised Watson. Bottom line, Rodgers expects him to be watching and aware of things they practice. Is Rodgers a thin skinned dick....sure, but he is also a top 5 ever who DESTROYS the blitz, so I don't mind him making sure the lesson sunk in. I bitch about him plenty, but just like brent, I know there are things I will miss when he is gone.

My guess (and its PURE speculation). Maybe Watson has been reading his headlines and had a bad week of practice and Rodgers was letting him know it.

bobblehead
12-22-2022, 09:40 AM

Desmond Howard?? Thats the last time I felt positive feelings about it.

Joemailman
12-22-2022, 10:39 AM
Desmond Howard?? Thats the last time I felt positive feelings about it.

It's been a while, but Allen Rossum, Roell Preston, Antonio Chatman and Will Blackmon were pretty legit.

run pMc
12-22-2022, 12:18 PM
It's been a while, but Allen Rossum, Roell Preston, Antonio Chatman and Will Blackmon were pretty legit.

Micah Hyde was pretty good on punts too.

The late switch to Nixon is another example of how slow the coaches have been to make changes this year.
Failure to self-scout, too much loyalty to current lineups/starters, and being too beholden to where/when drafted.

red
12-22-2022, 01:29 PM
So a couple tidbits in PFF grades this week.

Doubs top rated offensive player. 23 snaps, 10 routes, 5 catches. My comp to Michael Thomas feels more accurate than ever.

Jenkins finally had an elite game. Best run blocker on OL and 80.1 overall.

Top 2 grades on defense were Quay and Wyatt. Not coincidentally that seemed to also lead to one of Kenny Clarks best grades of the year.

Bottom line, we played scrubs and winning in Miami is a tough ask, but if they can pull it off, it seems things are peaking at just the right time.

Doubs just seems to play so much quicker or faster then everyone else on the field

I think it was his first catch of the game where the ball was out a bit in front of him. He snatched the ball and brought it to his body so fast that I didn’t even see it

He could be very special

I can see Doubs as being our main #1 wr, with Watson being the big play guy

red
12-22-2022, 01:31 PM
That also kinda means they have received a lot of kickoffs.

I read something about Nixon - he says he wants to play some as a slot receiver. I'd give him a shot at that, considering what he has shown in broken field running plus what he may have learned covering slot receivers.

When you find a player that is that exciting with the ball in his hands, you need to find some other ways to get him the ball

Maybe some of those end around a we like so much

RashanGary
12-23-2022, 02:40 PM
Doubs just seems to play so much quicker or faster then everyone else on the field

I think it was his first catch of the game where the ball was out a bit in front of him. He snatched the ball and brought it to his body so fast that I didn’t even see it

He could be very special

I can see Doubs as being our main #1 wr, with Watson being the big play guy

I agree. Watson creates separation running across the field when whoever is matched on him can’t keep up. Doubs puts his foot in the ground and creates quick separation. Doubs more traditional style tends to really improve as a guy hones his route running skills.

You can use both players. I could see Doubs having more catches but the two players having similar yards. I like the upside of Doubs always being able to create a window and go get the ball. But I like the way Watson can run away from anyone.

I see two 1,000 yard guys. With Watson having better yards per catch and Doubs being more consistent.

run pMc
12-23-2022, 04:27 PM
I agree they can both be 1000 yard guys eventually.
I worry about durability (especially Watson's) and would like to see them develop another receiver -- not sure that will be Toure, although I like his play.

Lazard is best as the big slot or WR3; the rookies should be above him on the depth chart.
Cobb is savvy and can fair catch a punt but I'd like them to get more dynamic.
Finding a TE who can be a security blanket and keep the offense ahead on the chains would be a nice pickup too.

MadScientist
12-23-2022, 05:06 PM
I agree they can both be 1000 yard guys eventually.
I worry about durability (especially Watson's) and would like to see them develop another receiver -- not sure that will be Toure, although I like his play.

Lazard is best as the big slot or WR3; the rookies should be above him on the depth chart.
Cobb is savvy and can fair catch a punt but I'd like them to get more dynamic.
Finding a TE who can be a security blanket and keep the offense ahead on the chains would be a nice pickup too.

Toure has some promise, but needs more time to develop. The upcoming question is can they keep Lazard? He's been their number 1 over the course of the season, but I agree that he's more of a #3. Can he be resigned for #3 money, or will another team throw a bunch at him?

100% agree about getting a TE. The Packers haven't had a good one in a decade.

call_me_ishmael
12-25-2022, 12:56 AM
Packers will beat the Dolphins if Aaron Jones gets 20 touches. Make it happen. The playoffs have already begun.

run pMc
12-26-2022, 01:46 PM
Toure has some promise, but needs more time to develop. The upcoming question is can they keep Lazard? He's been their number 1 over the course of the season, but I agree that he's more of a #3. Can he be resigned for #3 money, or will another team throw a bunch at him?

100% agree about getting a TE. The Packers haven't had a good one in a decade.

I'm sure MLF wants Lazard back.
I think Lazard will want to test the market, and Gute will let him. He might be a little disappointed; he will have more value to some teams like GB or SF than most. His market value is a little hard to sort out for that reason, but he's a good get as your #3 -- just not as a #1WR. If he's getting 10 targets a game you're probably in trouble; Watson and Doubs should be the ones getting 8-10 targets a game.

Fritz
12-26-2022, 04:00 PM
Let Lazard test the market. IF someone wants to pay him like a #1 or #2 guy, be like Elsa, my granddaughter's favorite Disney character - let it go. Move on.

I like Toure a lot. I think he's going to be a player. To me, the draft focus should be more on the defensive line and tight end groups, as well as OLB. I think they have their next left tackle already on the roster, and if Nijman can't be resigned, then they can draft a right tackle higher than they might've otherwise, unless they like one of the draft picks or FA's they already have.

Joemailman
12-26-2022, 04:44 PM
Tua in concussion protocol. Might explain some decisions he made in 4th quarter.