PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs Vikings II Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-26-2022, 02:31 PM
Packers lead all-time series 64-57-3. 63-56-3 in regular season. 1-1 in playoffs.

Last meeting: September 11, 2022. Vikings defeated the Packers 23-7. Justin Jefferson caught 9 passes for 184 yards and 2 TD's. Rodgers threw for less than 200 yards before being relieved by Jordan Love.

Vikings offense is 11th in total yards and 7th in scoring. They are 5th in passing yards and 28th in rushing yards. Kirk Cousins has thrown for 4117 yards with 27 TD's and 11 INT's. Justin Jefferson has 123 receptions for 1723 yards and 8 TD's. Dalvin Cook has rushed for 1109 yards and 8 TD's.

Defensively, Vikings are 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed. Opponents have thrown for 4122 yards with 21 TD's and 13 INT's. Opponents have rushed for 1812 yards and 15 TD's. Vikings have 36 sacks which ranks 15th.

Vikings are 11-0 in games decided by 8 points or less. Only their defeat of Packers in Week 1 was a double digit win.

Packers favored by 3.

Money Line: Packers -182 Vikings +140

Over/under 47

Fritz
12-26-2022, 03:52 PM
I cannot for the life of me see how the Packers could be favored, even by the home-team three. Do the "experts" think Minny has nothing to play for?

Look, you've got a good offensive team - the Vikes - going against a poor defensive team - the Packers.

You've got a poor defensive team - the Vikes - going against a poor offensive team - the Packers.

Seems to me a recipe for a Packer loss and a quashing of these fantastical playoff hopes.

QBME
12-26-2022, 04:16 PM
I cannot for the life of me see how the Packers could be favored, even by the home-team three. Do the "experts" think Minny has nothing to play for?

Look, you've got a good offensive team - the Vikes - going against a poor defensive team - the Packers.

You've got a poor defensive team - the Vikes - going against a poor offensive team - the Packers.

Seems to me a recipe for a Packer loss and a quashing of these fantastical playoff hopes.

What he said.

George Cumby
12-26-2022, 09:07 PM
What he said.

What he said.

MadtownPacker
12-26-2022, 09:46 PM
There is no way the NFL doesn’t let the Lions game count. Packers winz, Rastak starts thinking purple season is starting to blow.

King Friday
12-26-2022, 11:53 PM
If Philly wins in the 1pm time slot, is there really anything for the Vikings to play for? I think that is why the Packers are favored here, because the expectation is that Philly beats the Saints, and the Vikings likely would limit the playing time of key starters in that scenario.

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2022, 01:09 AM
The Vikings are only one game ahead of the Niners, and the Niners have a better conference record.

bobblehead
12-27-2022, 12:52 PM
I guess with Cousins and all those weapons coming to town we will find out if our D adjusted and played well, or if it was a mirage caused by Tua's mush head.

The Shadow
12-27-2022, 02:04 PM
I hope that Jaire gets to shadow Jefferson this time.

run pMc
12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
What he said.

what he said.

Sparkey
12-27-2022, 03:43 PM
According to total DVOA, Green Bay is 11th and Minnesota is 25th.

Minnesota is literally the luckiest team in the NFL this year. It is liking watching the 2018 Bears season, with purple glasses on.

Joemailman
12-27-2022, 06:20 PM
Dean Lowry to IR. Devonte Wyatt should continue to see more reps.

call_me_ishmael
12-27-2022, 07:35 PM
Whoa what happened to mean dean?

run pMc
12-27-2022, 08:51 PM
Whoa what happened to mean dean?

Shoulder injury.
I'd like to see more of Wyatt. I think he's better rushing the passer, and he can't be any worse against the run. Lowry gets moved off the LOS too easily against the run.

They signed WR Bo Melton off the SEA practice squad. He supposedly ran a 4.34 40, but I don't see that speed on video. He does have KR experience, so it might be a Keisean backup plan. They probably don't want to risk Romeo back there returning kicks.

run pMc
12-27-2022, 08:54 PM
According to total DVOA, Green Bay is 11th and Minnesota is 25th.

Minnesota is literally the luckiest team in the NFL this year. It is liking watching the 2018 Bears season, with purple glasses on.

It's true. They have a 12 wins but a +5 points differential; that's luckier than the 2019 packers who were winning close games and getting lucky before Mostert ran wild.
GB is the only team they've beaten by double digits this year. Maybe it's luck, maybe they are clutch, but if they were a cat they'd have used all 9 of their lives.

They are a good team with a tough offense to stop, but they aren't as good as their record.

Bretsky
12-27-2022, 09:12 PM
GB will beat Minnesota; they are not nearly as good as their record, and GB is better than their record. At home, GB wins

flamacue
12-27-2022, 09:54 PM
Realistically I don’t see a win here. Let’s face it they’re just hard to watch and I’m even a fan. Also on the realistic side is that Rodgers and Lafleur can’t win a playoff game so why would it make any difference to make the playoffs.

call_me_ishmael
12-27-2022, 09:56 PM
GB will beat Minnesota; they are not nearly as good as their record, and GB is better than their record. At home, GB wins

I agree with every word of this.

MadScientist
12-28-2022, 02:48 AM

Minnesota may not be as good as their record, but Green Bay hasn't shown itself any better than their record.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2022, 03:07 AM

Good Job Bretsky and CMI too. Good to see some sanity and homeristic loyalty in here amidst a bunch of panicky disloyal fools.

run pMc
12-28-2022, 11:40 AM
Good Job Bretsky and CMI too. Good to see some sanity and homeristic loyalty in here amidst a bunch of panicky disloyal fools.

Not panicky or disloyal; I'll continue to root for them, but I didn't pick them to beat MIA and I'm not sure about the next two either. They are coin flips to me.
You can be a fan and not pick them to win. Can be a lot of fun to root for the underdog, especially when they win.

I'm actually a little surprised they are favored by as much as they are, but I think GB is trending up and have a good chance at home.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-28-2022, 12:01 PM
Remember when Antonio Freeman would run fearlessly across the middle, catch a rock, get drilled, pop right up and jog right back to the huddle for the next play? What a tough son of a fuck, that Antonio Freeman.

Watson can’t hold Freeman’s jockstrap when it comes down to toughness. I’ve been a diehard Pack fan since 9-20-92 when Bert Favor replaced an injured Don What’s His Name, and I ain’t ever witnessed a more soft and fragile WR in the Green and Mustard Yellow than Watson.

run pMc
12-28-2022, 12:17 PM
Remember when Antonio Freeman would run fearlessly across the middle, catch a rock, get drilled, pop right up and jog right back to the huddle for the next play? What a tough son of a fuck, that Antonio Freeman.

Watson can’t hold Freeman’s jockstrap when it comes down to toughness. I’ve been a diehard Pack fan since 9-20-92 when Bert Favor replaced an injured Don What’s His Name, and I ain’t ever witnessed a more soft and fragile WR in the Green and Mustard Yellow than Watson.

Jared Abbrederis? Gutsy dude but always hurt.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-28-2022, 12:46 PM
Jared Abbrederis? Gutsy dude but always hurt.

Abbrederis wasn’t expected be anything more then a special teams player. Watson, on the other hand, is supposed to be the bona fide replacement for Adams. Instead, Watson has been a house of cards, one blow from cavin’ in, to paraphrase Katy Perry.

Big game Sunday. And Watson is once again dealing with an injury. Someone needs to check to see if Watson has balls, cos, he sure lacks toughness. Soft and fragile like an 18 year old chick trying to make it on her own for the first time on the unforgiving streets of Baltimore.

Joemailman
12-28-2022, 02:27 PM
Abbrederis wasn’t expected be anything more then a special teams player. Watson, on the other hand, is supposed to be the bona fide replacement for Adams. Instead, Watson has been a house of cards, one blow from cavin’ in, to paraphrase Katy Perry.

Big game Sunday. And Watson is once again dealing with an injury. Someone needs to check to see if Watson has balls, cos, he sure lacks toughness. Soft and fragile like an 18 year old chick trying to make it on her own for the first time on the unforgiving streets of Baltimore.

Softer than a guy who flips burgers for a living when he's not blogging on a computer from his mom's basement?

Freak Out
12-28-2022, 02:56 PM
Run the fucking ball and play a little D.

George Cumby
12-28-2022, 03:21 PM
Softer than a guy who flips burgers for a living when he's not blogging on a computer from his mom's basement?

Savage.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2022, 03:39 PM
Not panicky or disloyal; I'll continue to root for them, but I didn't pick them to beat MIA and I'm not sure about the next two either. They are coin flips to me.
You can be a fan and not pick them to win. Can be a lot of fun to root for the underdog, especially when they win.

I'm actually a little surprised they are favored by as much as they are, but I think GB is trending up and have a good chance at home.

hahahaha I wasn't really referring to you, as you show good sense and positivity generally about 50% of the time or a little more. It's the Rodgers-hating scum I was talking about.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2022, 03:43 PM
APB, it's a little early to conclude all that crap about Watson. The damn medical personnel have a lot to say about when a guy can and can't get back in the game, especially when it comes to that stupid concussion crap. I'm predicting Watson has a sufficiently super career to make you eat those words.

run pMc
12-28-2022, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't call a player soft. Injury prone? Sure. Those are large, strong, fast men running full speed into each other. Injuries are going to happen.

I do think Watson runs pretty upright, and he's a big lean target anyway. He's going to have to learn to protect himself from hits better, and also from some of the soft tissue injuries (hamstrings, etc.) that can plague speedy receivers. I'd more concerned than frustrated by his injuries, he's starting to accumulate an injury history and that's going to shorten his effectiveness and ultimately his career. He did play something like 52 games over 4 seasons in college so it's not like he missed a ton of games.

I think they need another speedy guy who they can use to occasionally fill the deep threat role Watson plays. If Watson plays 12 games a year they will want someone who can do that.
I thought Doubs could do that but they don't really use him in that role, and we haven't seen enough of Toure.

run pMc
12-28-2022, 03:58 PM
hahahaha I wasn't really referring to you, as you show good sense and positivity generally about 50% of the time or a little more. It's the Rodgers-hating scum I was talking about.

Thanks Tex. Believe me, I'd like nothing better than to listen to a sad and dispirited Paul Allen on Sunday.

Joemailman
12-28-2022, 04:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlGStWLXkAE5s2P?format=jpg&name=large

Joemailman
12-28-2022, 04:54 PM
CBS Late - Almost all of the country, including Alaska will get Vikings at Packers. Jim Nantz and Tony Romo with the call. Parts of the west coast will get Rams at Chargers. Spero Dedes and Jay Feely with the call.

https://506sports.com/2022/17-CBS-L.png

Anti-Polar Bear
12-28-2022, 10:53 PM

My folks live in North Carolina. I’m incarcerated in cold, dark and dull Wisconsin.

I flip burgers on a bad hip and bad back, 10 hours a day, 4 days a week. Watson takes himself out of the game whenever the wind blows on him. Watson is softer than a gay guy in a brothel full of women, more fragile than our dearly departed Prof Rand’s ego.

Don’t ever question my toughness again, hombre.

bobblehead
12-29-2022, 09:47 AM

I disagree with everyone thinking MN lucked into all those wins. However, the hot team theory applies at all times. We are trending up, and at home. But if MN beats us by 3, it won't be luck.

bobblehead
12-29-2022, 09:48 AM
Realistically I don’t see a win here. Let’s face it they’re just hard to watch and I’m even a fan. Also on the realistic side is that Rodgers and Lafleur can’t win a playoff game so why would it make any difference to make the playoffs.

My memory must be failing me. Though they made it to the NFCC game back to back. Did we get a bye all the way to the NFC finals?

bobblehead
12-29-2022, 09:50 AM

There are only 1 or 2 Rodgers haters here. There are however some who point out that this is what a team with sub par QB play looks like.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2022, 10:48 AM
APB, it's a little early to conclude all that crap about Watson. The damn medical personnel have a lot to say about when a guy can and can't get back in the game, especially when it comes to that stupid concussion crap. I'm predicting Watson has a sufficiently super career to make you eat those words.

You also predicted that MVS would have a better career than DK Metcalf. Absence of fact and evidence, a prediction is merely a dull guess. No offense, Tex, but you’re just guessing at numbers and figures, pulling the puzzles apart, to quote greatest band of all time, Coldplay.

King Friday
12-29-2022, 10:50 AM
The Packers will need Rodgers to play in peak form for this game, something he has failed to do in freezing conditions in some time. I expect the Packers defense to fall flat and give up 30+ points. That means our offense is going to have to look a hell of a lot better than it did last week in Miami.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2022, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't call a player soft. Injury prone? Sure. Those are large, strong, fast men running full speed into each other. Injuries are going to happen.

I do think Watson runs pretty upright, and he's a big lean target anyway. He's going to have to learn to protect himself from hits better, and also from some of the soft tissue injuries (hamstrings, etc.) that can plague speedy receivers. I'd more concerned than frustrated by his injuries, he's starting to accumulate an injury history and that's going to shorten his effectiveness and ultimately his career. He did play something like 52 games over 4 seasons in college so it's not like he missed a ton of games.

I think they need another speedy guy who they can use to occasionally fill the deep threat role Watson plays. If Watson plays 12 games a year they will want someone who can do that.
I thought Doubs could do that but they don't really use him in that role, and we haven't seen enough of Toure.

Well, German Shepherd has signed Bo Melton off the Seafuck’s practice squad. 5’11” 190, 4.34 40 - an even faster time than that of the hotshot, biracial, soft and fragile rookie sensation from North Dakota State.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2022, 11:33 AM
You also predicted that MVS would have a better career than DK Metcalf. Absence of fact and evidence, a prediction is merely a dull guess. No offense, Tex, but you’re just guessing at numbers and figures, pulling the puzzles apart, to quote greatest band of all time, Coldplay.

I don't think I ever knocked Metcalf. I tend to favor speed receivers - which includes Metcalf, Watson, and MVS. I still do expect MVS to have a good career, maybe almost as good as Metcalf. If I ever said better, it was qualified by comparing the rounds they were drafted in.

Correct about predictions. I'll put up my "dull guesses" against just about anybody else, though, including the shitheads who get paid to make those predictions.

Joemailman
12-29-2022, 04:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlLgHGiXgAIpOVS?format=jpg&name=medium

Joemailman
12-30-2022, 01:26 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
Christian Watson has a helmet during brief stretch period open to media. Looks like he’ll practice for the first time this week.

Keisean Nixon is participating in stretch but without a helmet. Looks like it’ll be a week of DNPs for him.

Nixon has a groin. I doubt we'll see him this week.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2022, 02:48 PM
You don't need much practice to run back kicks. I'm thinking Nixon doesn't play scrimmage D or coverage, but he does kick returns until or unless he re-injures the groin - as often happens with that kind of injury.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2022, 05:06 PM
Bo Melton was somebody I liked last draft season. I had a higher grade on him than the consensus, and then he went and got selected in the 7th round. :)

Their testing was pretty similar--except Watson's 6'4" height (compared to 5'11") and 136" broad jump (compared to 121").

Dudes as tall as Watson aren't supposed to be so explosive and agile.

Watson

6'4" 208, 32 4/8" arms, 10 1/8" hands
4.36 40, 4.19 shuttle, 6.96 3 cone, 38.5" vertical, 136" broad jump, 18 bench, 9.96 RAS

Melton

5'11" 189, 31 2/8" arms, 9" hands
4.34 40, 4.10 shuttle, 6.98 3 cone, 38.0" vertical, 121" broad jump, 18 bench, 9.23 RAS

Joemailman
12-30-2022, 07:06 PM
Nixon and Watson both questionable.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlQSZ0MX0AAmjg_?format=jpg&name=medium

Joemailman
12-30-2022, 07:10 PM
Nixon has a groin. I doubt we'll see him this week.

I've changed my mind on this a little bit. In a normal situation I don't think he'd play. But in a do or die situation like this, if they think he can contribute, he'll play. One big return could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-31-2022, 09:34 AM
$20 bet: Christina (#9 of the Packers) will sit out this game.

Who’s willing to gamble against moi?

MadtownPacker
12-31-2022, 10:57 AM
If you are going to pay in burger vouchers it’s $40 worth.

The Shadow
12-31-2022, 11:51 AM
I suspect that Watson will be active Sunday - even if he's injured. By lining him up wide, it forces a safety to shade his way, opening up things for the other receivers. He might prove a valuable decoy, at least for the first part of the game.

run pMc
01-02-2023, 09:24 AM

you woulda lost that bet.

SudsMcBucky
01-05-2023, 09:27 AM
you woulda lost that bet.

Doesn't that go without saying? :)

bobblehead
01-05-2023, 10:42 AM

I was thinking more like you man the grill at my next party vs. I got first 10 rounds at Oneida.