PDA

View Full Version : Coaches On The Hot/Warm Seat

Joemailman
12-26-2022, 03:29 PM
Denver - Nathaniel Hackett has been fired.

Las Vegas - Josh McDaniels is 6-9 with a team that finished 10-7 and made the playoffs under Rich Bisaccia. Acquiring Davante Adams has not made Derek Carr better. This seat is probably warm.

Cleveland - Kevin Stefanski has gone 11-5, 8-9 and now 6-9 with Cleveland. Browns tend to go through head coaches pretty quickly. Seat is probably pretty hot.

Indianapolis - Jeff Saturday replaced Frank Reich mid-season and has gone 1-4. This seat is on fire.

Houston - Lovie Smith took over the worst team in football and has kept them there. Hard to blame him for the situation. However, it's a terrible organization, so they might scapegoat him. Seat may be warm.

Tampa Bay - Todd Bowles is probably safe here as it is his 1st year as HC. Sill, if they fail to make playoffs, seat could be slightly warm.

Carolina - Steve Wilks has gone 5-5 after taking over after team started 1-4. He probably deserves to be retained, but any interim coach has to at least be considered to be on warm seat.

Atlanta - Arthur Smith is 12-20 in 2 seasons. Team may want to see what he can do with an improved QB situation. Seat is probably warm/hot.

Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury is 4-11 in his 4th season. Team is 8-17 since starting out 7-0 in 2021. His teams always fade 2nd half of season. Seat is on fire.

Fritz
12-26-2022, 03:50 PM
Denver - Nathaniel Hackett has been fired.

Las Vegas - Josh McDaniels is 6-9 with a team that finished 10-7 and made the playoffs under Rich Bisaccia. Acquiring Davante Adams has not made Derek Carr better. This seat is probably warm.

Cleveland - Kevin Stefanski has gone 11-5, 8-9 and now 6-9 with Cleveland. Browns tend to go through head coaches pretty quickly. Seat is probably pretty hot.

Indianapolis - Jeff Saturday replaced Frank Reich mid-season and has gone 1-4. This seat is on fire.

Houston - Lovie Smith took over the worst team in football and has kept them there. Hard to blame him for the situation. However, it's a terrible organization, so they might scapegoat him. Seat may be warm.

Tampa Bay - Todd Bowles is probably safe here as it is his 1st year as HC. Sill, if they fail to make playoffs, seat could be slightly warm.

Carolina - Steve Wilks has gone 5-5 after taking over after team started 1-4. He probably deserves to be retained, but any interim coach has to at least be considered to be on warm seat.

Atlanta - Arthur Smith is 12-20 in 2 seasons. Team may want to see what he can do with an improved QB situation. Seat is probably warm/hot.

Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury is 4-11 in his 4th season. Team is 8-17 since starting out 7-0 in 2021. His teams always fade 2nd half of season. Seat is on fire.

Green Bay - Matt LeFleur's seat is as if he just poofed a lukewarm fart in it.

Good list, Joe. Seems spot on to me, though I don't follow things like I used to.

Fosco33
12-26-2022, 04:34 PM
Some say Nathaniel couldn’t hack it

Joemailman
12-26-2022, 05:33 PM
Mike Klis
@mikeklis

Source: Broncos first offered interim HC job to Ejiro Evero. He declined. He's going to be a HC candidate this offseason. Preferred to stay with defense. Rosburg then made sense as he can oversee entire operation while coordinators run each phase. #9sports

Broncos are a mess right now. Wilson's contract likely means they're stuck with him through 2024. And they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2023. Not a real attractive job right now.

MadtownPacker
12-26-2022, 05:41 PM
Green Bay - Matt LeFleur's seat is as if he just poofed a lukewarm fart in it.

Good list, Joe. Seems spot on to me, though I don't follow things like I used to. I heard Rodgers is likely to be fired as offensive coordinator. Team is trying to work out if he will except lesser role of quarterback at the same pay.

Bretsky
12-26-2022, 06:34 PM
I heard Rodgers is likely to be fired as offensive coordinator. Team is trying to work out if he will except lesser role of quarterback at the same pay.

But are they going to release Rodgers of his GM1 duties or will he still own Gutebag ?

KYPack
12-26-2022, 06:51 PM
Lots of speculation that Hackett was hired during the timeframe when Denver was trying to lure ARod to the mile high city (Making Mad real happy). Rodgers turned Denver down, so they made the silly ass deal for Russ W. This left them with a mortgaged future and a rookie head coach who was clueless. Hackett made such a botch of a job it will take him years to clear up his reputation.

Hackett couldn't keep up with the head coaching duties to the extent that they had to hire a special assistant to keep track of the play clock. That assistant, Jerry Rosburg, is now Hackett's replacement. It will take a few seasons to fix this fuck-up in Denver.

Joemailman
12-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Lots of speculation that Hackett was hired during the timeframe when Denver was trying to lure ARod to the mile high city (Making Mad real happy). Rodgers turned Denver down, so they made the silly ass deal for Russ W. This left them with a mortgaged future and a rookie head coach who was clueless. Hackett made such a botch of a job it will take him years to clear up his reputation.

Hackett couldn't keep up with the head coaching duties to the extent that they had to hire a special assistant to keep track of the play clock. That assistant, Jerry Rosburg, is now Hackett's replacement. It will take a few seasons to fix this fuck-up in Denver.

Hackett had that deer in the headlights look very early on. Must have been a painful season for him. I think he's a pretty good offensive mind though. He'll land on his feet.

bobblehead
12-27-2022, 12:00 AM

I hated the hackett hiring here for the simple reason that Blake Bortles regressed every year Hackett was his signal caller until he ultimately was out of the league. From AFCC game to out of football in about 3 years. Hackett ain't his old man.

run pMc
12-27-2022, 09:12 AM
Hackett has connections and in the NFL that means he will land a job in a year or two. Either way, he'll still be getting paid by Denver.
Going from an OC who didn't call the plays to being the HC is a pretty big jump.

Also, Russell Wilson is barking mad most days.

KYPack
12-27-2022, 02:58 PM
Hackett really flamed out. I was always trying to figure out what piece of our offense he contributed. That's hard to figure and now I'll never know. He is in an excellent club now. 1st year coaches that didn't survive the initial NFL season.

Here's the others:

Jets coach Lou Holtz 1976 Holtz was in so far over his head it was ridiculous. He quit ahead of being canned with one game to go in '76. Lou's big contribution to the Jet's was writing a fight song and trying to get the players to sing it. Joe Namath refuses to comment on his time with Holtz as his HC.
49ers coach Pete McCulley in 1978 Pete didn't win but 1 game in '78. Fired before the 10th game, him and interim coach Fred O'Conner are the answer to the trivia question of who coached the Niners before Bill Walsh got there.
Falcons coach Bobby Petrino in 2007 famously quit before being canned, but also to take the Arkansas job back in college where he belonged
Jaguars coach Urban Meyer in 2021 Always liked the video of that college girl dancing on his hog by the jukebox.

NFL owners, read this list before you hire a college coach to run your team

run pMc
12-27-2022, 03:27 PM
NFL owners, read this list before you hire a college coach to run your team

Aside from Jimmy Johnson, I can't think of many college coaches who successfully made the jump to the pros and survived.
Pete Carroll coached in the pros before USC so he doesn't count, and I'm not sure I'd call Chip Kelly a success. Not Steve Spurrier. Maybe Insufferable Jim Harbaugh? There aren't many that come to mind in the last 30 years.

It's a different environment, the coaching that works in one won't necessarily work in the other.

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2022, 05:41 PM
How about Barry Switzer?

Rutnstrut
12-27-2022, 08:06 PM
Can't blame Denver's whole shitty season on him. By most accounts Russell Wilson is more of a diva than Favre and Rodgers put together.

run pMc
12-27-2022, 08:43 PM
How about Barry Switzer?

Good question.
I don't think he did anything innovative or considered in the same class as other successful pro coaches of the day.
I will say Switzer was a good coach on the college level.

He inherited a roster that included Aikman, E.Smith, Irvin, Novacek, an incredible OL of E.Williams, Tuinei, Stepnoski, Newton and Allen; Lett, Haley, D.Woodson, and a host of other good players on defense as well. It was a deep and talented roster that had been to the previous 2 Super Bowls.

I've always thought Switzer inherited Jimmy's roster and basically let that team coach itself. He lasted 4 seasons, the last of which he lost his last 5 games, had to deal with off-field incidents, infighting with an aging Aikman, etc. He lost in the NFCCG his 1st year, then the super bowl, then went 16-16 (10-6 and 6-10) his last two. That team was not trending in the right direction.

Not that Chan Gailey was any better.

I don't think people thought Switzer was what made those Cowboys teams so good; it was the roster Jimmy built.

run pMc
12-27-2022, 08:48 PM
Can't blame Denver's whole shitty season on him. By most accounts Russell Wilson is more of a diva than Favre and Rodgers put together.

I think Russ is cooked.
He looked A-W-F-U-L against the Rams. If a rookie QB played like he did they'd call him a bust and bench him.
DEN has to be regretting that trade and contract.

As for Hackett, he was overmatched for that situation. I thought he did some good things as an assistant to MLF, but I never got the sense that he was HC material.
Hackett was so over his head the team hired an assistant for him that turned out to be his replacement.

Joemailman
01-02-2023, 09:28 AM
Might have to add Ron Rivera of Washington to the list after he started Carson Wentz over Tyler Heinicke. They are 5-3-1 with Heinicke starting, 2-5 with Wentz. Commanders were 7-5 at one point and in great position to make the playoffs before going winless in last 4. Based on the way he answered a question in his PC yesterday, he apparently did not know that yesterday could be an elimination game for them.

red
01-02-2023, 12:30 PM
Might have to add Ron Rivera of Washington to the list after he started Carson Wentz over Tyler Heinicke. They are 5-3-1 with Heinicke starting, 2-5 with Wentz. Commanders were 7-5 at one point and in great position to make the playoffs before going winless in last 4. Based on the way he answered a question in his PC yesterday, he apparently did not know that yesterday could be an elimination game for them.

yup, his seats on fire right now

King Friday
01-02-2023, 12:47 PM
Thing is, who is Washington going to get that is any better? With the owner working to sell the team, he’s probably not thinking about adding extra cost by paying for multiple coaches next year. On a normal team, Ron would be in trouble, but unless the sale goes through very quickly I’m guessing he’s still around for another year.

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 11:30 AM
Denver had already fired Nathaniel Hackett

Houston has fired Lovie Smith

Arizona has fired Kliff Kingsbury

red
01-09-2023, 12:46 PM
lovie smith as DC!!!!!!!!!

run pMc
01-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Kingsbury was done. Don't know about Lovie; I mean he inherited a dumpster fire after BOB. He was never the long-term answer, maybe they feel like they are out of the woods with Jack Easterby and D.Watson gone.

Waiting to see if Barry makes this list. Won't be for a couple of days if it does happen.

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Carolina and Indianapolis have interim coaches, so there are currently 5 open HC spots:

Carolina
Indianapolis
Denver
Houston
Arizona

George Cumby
01-09-2023, 08:58 PM
lovie smith as DC!!!!!!!!!

Fuck, yes.

Joemailman
01-10-2023, 04:59 PM
Nobody else fired. Just 5 this year?

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2023, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned McCarthy. Jerry Jones isn't exactly known for his high threshhold of patience. Anything short of the Super Bowl, and the Cowboys underachieved their talent level this year, and McCarthy doesn't exactly appear to have them "peaking at the right time". I saw a lot of the same playcalling etc. that I hated for years when he was with the Packers.

run pMc
01-11-2023, 11:45 AM
Tough to can a coach that goes 12-5, plus Dak's been good for a pick or two per game. I think they miss Amari Cooper. Keeping that team afloat with Cooper freaking Rush is a good coaching job.
Jerrah is a lot of things but I don't think he's blind to that.

I do expect McCarthy is on a short leash though, and if they are on the wrong side of a bad playoff loss it could be a hotseat year for him next year. DAL should beat TAM and could give SF (and PHI) a run for their money.

NewsBruin
01-11-2023, 12:33 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned McCarthy. Jerry Jones isn't exactly known for his high threshhold of patience. Anything short of the Super Bowl, and the Cowboys underachieved their talent level this year, and McCarthy doesn't exactly appear to have them "peaking at the right time". I saw a lot of the same playcalling etc. that I hated for years when he was with the Packers.

Jerrah loves playing up the rootin'-tootin' wildcatter image, but he's okay with above-averageocrity from his head coach as long as they don't upstage him in the press coverage.

MM's 54.55% regular-season win percentage (18-15) is within 1.5 percentage points of Gailey, Garrett, Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Parcells. Only Landry, Switzer, and Phillips are more than 5 percentage points better in the regular season. Mike could go winless in 2023 and finish with a better Cowboys record than Dave Campo (15-33). He's winless in the postseason, but so were Gailey and Parcells.

Jimmy and Barry were insane in the postseason (12-3), but take away them and Landry, and the Boys have been 3-10 in playoffs while Jerry's owned the team.

SudsMcBucky
01-11-2023, 12:38 PM

Really? He allowed that ginger Garrett coach his team for 10 years.

NewsBruin
01-11-2023, 01:16 PM
Jerrah loves playing up the rootin'-tootin' wildcatter image, but he's okay with above-averageocrity from his head coach as long as they don't upstage him in the press coverage.

You know what, I take it back. Jerry loves what moves the needle and gets the Cowboys more money through ticket, merch, concession, and radio-ad sales -- and ultimately through high ratings and PR that lead to renegotiated broadcast contracts. I could see him dumping Mike McCarthy at any win percentage for Deion Sanders, backed by excellent coordinators and a promise not to mutiny against the owner. One offseason of "Coach" retro #21 jerseys between $50-$200 (without having to split with the NFLPA) would cover the buyout. Even if Deion flops, there are enough cheap candidates who could go ~55% and have the sex appeal of a bowl of room-temp oatmeal to keep the money machine purring.

red
01-11-2023, 08:46 PM
Tough to can a coach that goes 12-5, plus Dak's been good for a pick or two per game. I think they miss Amari Cooper. Keeping that team afloat with Cooper freaking Rush is a good coaching job.
Jerrah is a lot of things but I don't think he's blind to that.

I do expect McCarthy is on a short leash though, and if they are on the wrong side of a bad playoff loss it could be a hotseat year for him next year. DAL should beat TAM and could give SF (and PHI) a run for their money.

theres some chatter that he is absolutely gonna get canned if he doesn't win this weekend

Bretsky
01-11-2023, 09:05 PM
INTERESTING; sounds like Lovie Smith knew he was getting fired. So he leads the Texans on a comeback, goes for 2, and they f'ck up getting the number one pick in the draft

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 01:14 AM
I had that thought about Lovie Smith too, but the team that passed them up at the bottom for the top pick, the Bears, almost certainly aren't gonna pick a QB. So the Texans still should be able to take Stroud or Young, whichever they prefer. Of course, the Bears could trade the pick.

On the McCarthy thing, I read something similar - that he could be gone if they lose this week, which they really shouldn't. I wonder if the same applies the following week when they would be a lot more likely to lose. Arguably, the Cowboys have way more talent now than they had during the Garrett years or those of some of those other coaches.

run pMc
01-12-2023, 08:05 AM
Of course, the Bears could trade the pick.

I think they'll trade the pick and use it to speed up their rebuild. Lions will be the team to beat next year in the NFCN but the Bears should also be much better. Unless their FO's screw it up.

Fritz
01-12-2023, 11:03 AM
INTERESTING; sounds like Lovie Smith knew he was getting fired. So he leads the Texans on a comeback, goes for 2, and they f'ck up getting the number one pick in the draft

OR Lovie got fired because he went for two and won the game and cost them the number one pick...

Bretsky
01-12-2023, 10:27 PM
OR Lovie got fired because he went for two and won the game and cost them the number one pick...

Heard Lovie knew it was his last game before the game started. Maybe it was bad info though

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2023, 09:18 AM
I 100% think he knew he was gone so he wanted to win his last game. He is in his 60s, I doubt he gets another coaching job like that. Good for him, I always thought he was a pretty good coach.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-14-2023, 05:34 AM

Jones has a hard on for Sean Payton. Don’t be surprised to see the fishmonger fire McCarthy, interview 2 token Black coaches, and finally, trade 2 1sts for Payton.

If McCarthy’s entire staff gets canned, can Joe Barry and hire Al Harris to coordinate the D!

Joemailman
01-14-2023, 09:08 PM
Atlanta will be interviewing Jerry Gray for DC job.

Bretsky
01-15-2023, 12:14 AM

I kinda hope he goes

Would not surprise me if the Chargers coach gets fired

Giving up a 27 point lead and last year he lost about every close game possible

run pMc
01-15-2023, 09:57 AM
I kinda hope he goes

Would not surprise me if the Chargers coach gets fired

Giving up a 27 point lead and last year he lost about every close game possible

I was tempted for a moment if that happens to say swap out Barry for Staley, but watching that defense was eerily like watching Green Bay's: missed tackles, soft zones, playing like they were gassed, etc.
It felt like LAC lost that game by a thousand paper cuts (and a collapsing offense) in the 2nd half, does that sound familiar?

I find it telling that Barry isn't getting any HC interviews while Evero is (admittedly, might be just to satisfy Rooney Rule). I suspect the LAR version of the Fangio defense (much like the McVay version of the Shanahan offense) has run its course and have been figured out.

Fritz
01-18-2023, 08:48 AM

The sad part is this may well by like the Cap'n's game-day post: obligatory.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 06:20 PM
Vikings fire DC Ed Donatell.

Teamcheez1
01-19-2023, 07:21 PM
Our coaching staff is operating at peak performance. We don’t need to consider making any changes.

Rastak
01-19-2023, 07:43 PM

I cheered when I heard that. What a garbage defense and they win 13 games. Unbelievable.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 07:50 PM
Our coaching staff is operating at peak performance. We don’t need to consider making any changes.

:tup:

run pMc
01-20-2023, 07:49 AM
I cheered when I heard that. What a garbage defense and they win 13 games. Unbelievable.

Thought he was a strange hire to begin with. Wonder if Pettine steps in to take over.

Joemailman
01-20-2023, 08:33 AM

Bears will also be interviewing Gray.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-20-2023, 09:44 AM

Scapegoated again.

Instead of exercising accountability for his own cowardice, Sherman canned Donatell for 4th and 26. Had Sherman had balls to go for it on 4th and 1 with a hot Ahman Green, that infamy would be missing from the history books.

Suffice it to say, Mike Sherman was a better GM than coach. Ain’t ever missed the playoffs as GM, I’m telling y’all.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-20-2023, 10:33 AM
And, be it irony or plain karma, after the Polar Bear marched in and dismantled Sherman’s playoffs team, Sherman was made scapegoat.

bobblehead
01-20-2023, 10:40 AM
And, be it irony or plain karma, after the Polar Bear marched in and dismantled Sherman’s playoffs team, Sherman was made scapegoat.

And then proceeded to make an NFCC game in Favre's final season and an owl 2 years after that.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-20-2023, 11:01 AM
And then proceeded to make an NFCC game in Favre's final season and an owl 2 years after that.

Thanks to Sherman for making the playoffs after a 1-5 or 2-6 start, Butte fell onto Thompson’s lab. A glorious dynasty coulda been made. But Thompson refused - incompetently - to let go of that obsolete “draft and develop” horseshit.

In the end, with two first ballot Hall of Fame QBs, the Polar Bear could only muster a fluke Super Bowl win.

Joemailman
01-20-2023, 12:20 PM
Colts have interviewed Rich Bisaccia.

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Colts have interviewed Rich Bisaccia.

Ugh

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 12:33 PM

Yeah. It was a head scratcher when they hired that clown.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-23-2023, 12:52 PM
Ugh

Token Rooney Rule interview.

Italians (and Jews) are not white.

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 02:49 PM
^ LOL.

Good one, Tank.

Sparkey
01-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Hackett hired as JETS offensive coordinator.

Joemailman
01-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Frank Reich hired as Panthers DC.

Dan Quinn will remain as Cowboys DC.

Sparkey
01-26-2023, 05:14 PM
Frank Reich hired as Panthers HC.

Dan Quinn will remain as Cowboys DC.

FIXED

Joemailman
01-26-2023, 05:24 PM
FIXED

Thanks!

George Cumby
01-26-2023, 05:26 PM
Glad Reich got that job.

Seemed like he got......jobbed out of the other job.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2023, 12:14 AM
Big Mac doesn't renew Regis.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1618663606396268545

Also Rob Enforcer Davis too it sounds like.

Joemailman
01-28-2023, 10:51 PM
Looks like Jerry Gray is leaving. There have been reports of some friction between Gray and Barry regarding how defensive backfield should be utilized. Maybe that contributed to a lot of the dysfunction in the pass defense. Not a good thing if the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator aren't on the same page.

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 12:38 AM
Looks like Jerry Gray is leaving. There have been reports of some friction between Gray and Barry regarding how defensive backfield should be utilized. Maybe that contributed to a lot of the dysfunction in the pass defense. Not a good thing if the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator aren't on the same page.

There was some mutiny going on between our defensive backs and JoeBlow Barry

Jerry Gray never really supported JoeBlow through the press. Three times during the season he noted it wasn't his defensive system and they'd need to ask Joe that question as he's just doing his best with the defensive backs.

It's a rarity for offensive and defensive coaches to not sign their rolling contract going forward. Apparently they are 2 year rolling deals. Barry didn't sign his last year, essentially leaving him a free agent this year.

Most Packer Beat guys didn't expect him to return. The secondary players really like Jerry Gray.

If JoeBlow sucks again next year this is just another strike against the FLOWER

Fritz
01-29-2023, 08:35 AM
First it was rumblings that the defensive players, especially the defensive backs, did not like the way Joe Barely was using them.

Now it is clear that Jerry Gray, a venerated defensive backs coach, did not like Joe Barely's system and did not think he was using the defensive backs properly.

The red flags are popping up faster than a twelve-year-old boy watching porn.

Earth to Matty Flower, Earth to Matty Flower. Calling Matty Flower. Helloooo?

Sparkey
01-29-2023, 04:32 PM
Dolphins hire Fangio as DC

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 06:10 PM
JERRY GRAY IS GONE

OUR SPECIAL TEAMS COACH has INTERVIEW #2 with THE COLTS MONDAY

Sparkey
01-29-2023, 07:00 PM
I hope Bisaccia gets the gig. Should have gotten the Raiders job.

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 07:44 PM
I hope Bisaccia gets the gig. Should have gotten the Raiders job.

Ya, I kinda agree . But I do love him as our ST coach.

I wonder if Jimmy is on the short list with Gray jumping off the Barry Bus.

Then again, to be honest, Jimmy runs a very different defense than JoeBlow as well

Fritz
01-30-2023, 05:36 PM
So not what can The Flower pull out of his ass for a good ST hire, if Bitchsaccia is gone?

Joemailman
01-31-2023, 05:47 PM
DeMeco Ryans new Houston Head Coach

Sean Payton new Denver Head Coach

Fritz
02-01-2023, 06:56 AM
Jerry Gray gone.

One of the important parts of being a good head coach is making good assistant coach hires. MLF has had a couple of good ones, but he also seemed to poop the bed on a couple. He needs to get the next ones right: if Bisaccia goes, the ST hire is crucial. WIth Gray gone, whom MLF hires to execute Joe Barely's vision in the defensive backfield.

Man, I hate that vision. No blitzing, everything predictable. Ugh.

Joemailman
02-01-2023, 08:10 AM
Jerry Gray gone.

One of the important parts of being a good head coach is making good assistant coach hires. MLF has had a couple of good ones, but he also seemed to poop the bed on a couple. He needs to get the next ones right: if Bisaccia goes, the ST hire is crucial. WIth Gray gone, whom MLF hires to execute Joe Barely's vision in the defensive backfield.

Man, I hate that vision. No blitzing, everything predictable. Ugh.

It's a very important hire. Al Harris has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Gray.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 08:58 AM
I hope Barry adapts the scheme he's trying to run (i.e., copy form Fangio) to play more man -- it's the strength of both Savage and his trio of outside corners. Man under a 2 high shell is fine and could be enough to disrupt timing and help the pass rush get there. I'm not optimistic it will happen, but after two years of having MLF and players talk to him, you'd think he'd learn.

Yes yes you run a lot of zone because it's safe and there are so many good WRs etc. but they need to mix it up more.
(They also need to stop calling Cover 3 if they are backed up inside the 10 yard line. LeRoy Butler did a nice breakdown on why in one of the JSO videos.)

Gray was a decent DB coach and his players liked him. He subbed in as DC the previous season for the ARI game as DC and they held up ok, but I don't know if he would be a good DC. I think it's dependent upon the talent, so he'd have done ok here as a Barry replacement. As the assistant HC and pass defense helper or whatever for ATL he'll be fine. Wish him well.

Don't know if Al Harris would be the right fit, would have to be someone who buys into the scheme they want to run. Gray really didn't.

Fritz
02-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Well, run, you echoed what my old mentor, a high school basketball coach in Maryland, used to preach all the time: fit your scheme to your players' strengths. Don't force your players into a scheme they're not capable of executing.

That high school basketball coach won a state championship in Maryland in the 80's, and had some damn good runs in the tournament.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Well, run, you echoed what my old mentor, a high school basketball coach in Maryland, used to preach all the time: fit your scheme to your players' strengths. Don't force your players into a scheme they're not capable of executing.

That high school basketball coach won a state championship in Maryland in the 80's, and had some damn good runs in the tournament.

I'm amazed that so many coaches are reluctant to do this when it's basically Coaching 101.
Belicheat has managed to carve out a HOF coaching career by putting his players in position to do what they do best.

You want to run mostly zone, fine -- have Gute get zone safeties, sure tacklers, instinctive players. Great. If you have guys who excel at man coverage, maybe mix it up - man on one side with a little safety help, zone on the other... or like I said, some press-man or man coverage at the line with safeties in a 2 deep shell behind them. For heaven's sake, don't line your corners 8 yards off the ball when it's 3rd and 5. Disguise your coverage - drop a safety down so it looks like Cover 1 or Cover 3, and then sprint him back and rotate at the snap to Cover 2 or something else.

This stuff shouldn't be rocket science. Thing is, Barry asks like it is. And he's not alone.

I'm not some super smart football Xs and O's guy, but I've watched enough years and read enough to have formed some opinions about what works. What Barry is doing isn't working... that's why I don't want him as GB's DC. It's just my opinion, so take that for what it's worth lol.

RashanGary
02-02-2023, 08:14 AM
Jerry Gray gone. Now Barry can bring his own guys in and get to dominating!

Fritz
02-02-2023, 08:16 AM
Jerry Gray gone. Now Barry can bring his own guys in and get to dominating!

Yeah, that's it. It was Jerry Gray that was holding them back. Yeah, that's the ticket.

RashanGary
02-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that's it. It was Jerry Gray that was holding them back. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Well, we know it wasn’t Barry. Ask Flower.

RashanGary
02-02-2023, 08:19 AM
I liked Pettine. Outside of Kevin King having no common sense or situational awareness, he had the guys playing up to their potential.

Joemailman
02-02-2023, 08:25 AM
Gray's replacement may already be with the team. Packers signed Aubrey Pleasant in December after he was let go by the Lions. Pleasant was on the same staff with Barry as CB coach with the Rams from 2017-2020.

call_me_ishmael
02-02-2023, 09:20 AM
I liked Pettine. Outside of Kevin King having no common sense or situational awareness, he had the guys playing up to their potential.

I agree - I don't think he was a bad coordinator at all.

Bretsky
02-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Pettine was fine
which is 2x better than Barry

But he told Flower to piss off after flower didn’t have his back after the playoff loss

run pMc
02-02-2023, 10:52 AM
Oh, I don't think Pettine was good or fine. Barry hasn't been an upgrade, so in hindsight we decide he doesn't seem so bad.
I don't recall any poster in this forum arguing to keep Pettine or renew his contract.

They probably need to find some sneaky good young guy making his way up the ranks to be a good DC vs. rolling out these retreads, who are basically guys that worked under smarter, innovative coaches. They should hire someone because they are quick-thinking, creative, and good teachers, not because they rode someone else's coattails and are just stealing that person's ideas.

RashanGary
02-03-2023, 04:24 PM
I kind of roll my eyes at the “smarter, more innovative” stuff. By and large, as soon as some “smart and innovative” coach comes up with something new, it’s all on tape anyway and all the dumb and unimaginative coaches have it in their tool bag too. Most of the time, the best defenses are the simplest defenses that have the best players. Smart and innovative is a catch phrase for fans to obsess about.

Fritz
02-03-2023, 04:52 PM
Oh, I don't think Pettine was good or fine. Barry hasn't been an upgrade, so in hindsight we decide he doesn't seem so bad.
I don't recall any poster in this forum arguing to keep Pettine or renew his contract.

They probably need to find some sneaky good young guy making his way up the ranks to be a good DC vs. rolling out these retreads, who are basically guys that worked under smarter, innovative coaches. They should hire someone because they are quick-thinking, creative, and good teachers, not because they rode someone else's coattails and are just stealing that person's ideas.

That's it exactly.

run pMc
02-05-2023, 11:30 AM
I kind of roll my eyes at the “smarter, more innovative” stuff. By and large, as soon as some “smart and innovative” coach comes up with something new, it’s all on tape anyway and all the dumb and unimaginative coaches have it in their tool bag too. Most of the time, the best defenses are the simplest defenses that have the best players. Smart and innovative is a catch phrase for fans to obsess about.

I get what you're saying, and I tend to agree. I think when someone rolls out something different that works, teams figure it out, even if it takes them an offseason to do it. Only one I can think of where that hasn't been the case is the Shanahan illusion of complexity thing, which some might say GB doesn't do enough because Rodgers like shotgun too much and doesn't like motion. Most other things come down to coaches adapting in-game or during weektime prep with things that can counter or neutralize the opponent, or just having players executing up to their talent and to their strengths.

I don't care for coaches who just blindly implement someone else's scheme. I think something gets lost in its translation: the person who came up with it originally has likely done so by trying lots of things and figuring out why it does and doesn't work, and can adjust the scheme to opponent when needed. I have doubts a copycat coach really has that level of understanding it, regardless of what they say.
Admittedly, I could be way off; these coaches spend a lot of hours year-round grinding at stuff and know much much more about football that I do. Maybe it comes down to personality and ability to quickly learn and adapt. Barry has to have MLF tell him to blitz more and have private chats with Jaire to adjust; that's not a great look IMO. Just because you know a scheme and have every detail memorized doesn't mean you can teach it well or run it effectively on gameday.

I'd also like to point out that for as much as I dislike Barry, the players didn't do him any favors this year. Coverage busts among veteran players. Missed tackles everywhere. Blown assignments in run or pass. Bonehead penalties. Those are mental or execution issues that really concerned me from a defense that has considerable talent.

Fritz
02-05-2023, 01:19 PM
I get what you're saying, and I tend to agree. I think when someone rolls out something different that works, teams figure it out, even if it takes them an offseason to do it. Only one I can think of where that hasn't been the case is the Shanahan illusion of complexity thing, which some might say GB doesn't do enough because Rodgers like shotgun too much and doesn't like motion. Most other things come down to coaches adapting in-game or during weektime prep with things that can counter or neutralize the opponent, or just having players executing up to their talent and to their strengths.

I don't care for coaches who just blindly implement someone else's scheme. I think something gets lost in its translation: the person who came up with it originally has likely done so by trying lots of things and figuring out why it does and doesn't work, and can adjust the scheme to opponent when needed. I have doubts a copycat coach really has that level of understanding it, regardless of what they say.
Admittedly, I could be way off; these coaches spend a lot of hours year-round grinding at stuff and know much much more about football that I do. Maybe it comes down to personality and ability to quickly learn and adapt. Barry has to have MLF tell him to blitz more and have private chats with Jaire to adjust; that's not a great look IMO. Just because you know a scheme and have every detail memorized doesn't mean you can teach it well or run it effectively on gameday.

I'd also like to point out that for as much as I dislike Barry, the players didn't do him any favors this year. Coverage busts among veteran players. Missed tackles everywhere. Blown assignments in run or pass. Bonehead penalties. Those are mental or execution issues that really concerned me from a defense that has considerable talent.

Agreed, except I would argue that that's on Barry. One of the major points of having coaches is coaching your player so he doesn't make mental mistakes or execution issues all the time. Sure, it'll happen occasionally, but when it's defense-wide, isn't that on the DC?

I get part of what you're saying, though. Devondre Campbell played this year like, well, a traditional Packer inside linebacker, which is to say "meh." Kenny Clark was inconsistent.

Joemailman
02-05-2023, 04:56 PM
Carolina Panthers
@Panthers

#Panthers agree to terms with Ejiro Evero to become defensive coordinator
https://panthers.com/news/panthers-agree-to-terms-with-ejiro-evero-to-become-defensive-coordinator

Vikings had making a strong push for him.

Joemailman
02-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Brian Flores new Vikings DC.

run pMc
02-06-2023, 07:22 PM
Flores is a decent coach. I think that's a good hire.