PDA

View Full Version : Remember when..

kcpackman
01-08-2023, 10:16 PM
Remember when I said they needed to let Rodgers go last year after the "hero ball" and you all called me a troll and ran me off? Yep am back and I am trolling you all with the truth gain.

kcpackman
01-08-2023, 10:18 PM
But dont worry - I wont read any of your idiotic responses. Fuck off all of you!

MadtownPacker
01-08-2023, 10:27 PM
:lol:!! Why would they call you a troll?

George Cumby
01-08-2023, 10:42 PM
Remember when I said they needed to let Rodgers go last year after the "hero ball" and you all called me a troll and ran me off? Yep am back and I am trolling you all with the truth gain.

Uhhhhh.

WTF you talking about?

A bunch of us have wanted to cut bait with him.

red
01-08-2023, 10:44 PM
now thats how to show up after a year of lurking and drop the mic

Teamcheez1
01-09-2023, 08:40 AM
I think at least half this forum were on the side of trading Rodgers instead of giving him the big contract.

Bretsky
01-09-2023, 09:58 PM
I think at least half this forum were on the side of trading Rodgers instead of giving him the big contract.

Most might admit that half was right at this point

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 10:24 PM
There was a thread with a poll. Result was 75% wanted Rodgers traded. I was actually one of the 25% who wanted him signed. But I never imagined the new contract would be so Rodgers-friendly, in terms of how difficult it was for the Packers to get out of it, if need be. Guess I didn't think that through. I did not like the contract once I realized the implications of it. I'm not sure if anyone other than Tex did.

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2023, 12:33 AM
As I said clearly then, and I stand by now, I was and am all for the contract BECAUSE it solidified Rodgers staying in Green Bay - which is the key to winning football for the Packers.

King Friday
01-10-2023, 05:21 AM
As I said clearly then, and I stand by now, I was and am all for the contract BECAUSE it solidified Rodgers staying in Green Bay - which is the key to winning football for the Packers.

8-9 is winning?

Goff was 9-8. At this point, Rodgers doesn’t ensure anything but hallucinogens.

Bretsky
01-10-2023, 07:50 AM
There was a thread with a poll. Result was 75% wanted Rodgers traded. I was actually one of the 25% who wanted him signed. But I never imagined the new contract would be so Rodgers-friendly, in terms of how difficult it was for the Packers to get out of it, if need be. Guess I didn't think that through. I did not like the contract once I realized the implications of it. I'm not sure if anyone other than Tex did.

Gutebag really let Rodgers make him his b@tch with that contract.
I think once Adams left (which imo was partially due to all of the Rodgers drama and not giving Devante love the year before) I think Sharon decided it was my way or the highway

RashanGary
01-10-2023, 09:44 AM

This was me too. Once I saw that deal I was like, oh shit!

bobblehead
01-10-2023, 09:48 AM
Hey JH- at least i have the decency to bump my post when I want to make sure everyone knows how smart I am.

RashanGary
01-10-2023, 09:54 AM
Hey JH- at least i have the decency to bump my post when I want to make sure everyone knows how smart I am.

If having all my opinions saved on packerrats has taught me anything, it’s that I’m not as smart as I thought I was. Harvey, Nutz, you with OL, KY and others got me beat. No need for me to try to prove how smart I am. It wouldn’t fool anyone.

Tony Oday
01-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Eh AR will run it back next year to the Super Bowl.

Sparkey
01-10-2023, 07:39 PM

Haha, rich indeed!

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2023, 11:29 AM
I repeat, the Packer future can go one of two ways: at least a couple more years of the greatness we've seen over the past 3 decades or so with Favre and Rodgers OR a fairly long period of mediocrity that a few ignorant pieces of shit in here seem to crave, Bears or Lions level football, without Rodgers. Are we doomed to that in a few years anyway, knowing Rodgers isn't gonna go on forever? Maybe, but I for one prefer to put it off as long as possible and maybe get lucky with a third QB that will dominate the league (one of the few things I and most of the negativists agree on is that Love probably isn't that).

I've said forever in here, it is horrendously stupid - in the NFL or in any sport - to tear down to rebuild, as thankfully, the Packers have never done (or the Bucks or Brewers either for that matter). Rebuilding on the fly is ALWAYS the way to go, unklike a few boom or bust teams in various sports - which is about the best you can ever hope for - or the numerous crap teams that tear down periodically and never get back above mediocrity. Yet some idiots in here advocate exactly that.

Deputy Nutz
01-11-2023, 12:40 PM
I am not a salary cap expert. I do know when you commit 150 million to one player for 3 years and over 100 million is guaranteed it is really hard to add anything to the stew that could make the team immediately better for the 2023 season, probably just the opposite where you have to get guys to restructure or you have to cut quality players to get under the cap. You can't reload or rebuild doing it that way. The Packers had Rodgers under contract until 2023 and they tore up the deal and then resigned him to even more money to keep him happy. Well at this point it's clear he is on the downside of his career and is weighing retirement which would financially cripple the Packers for the next two years.

Why did Tom Brady win so many Super Bowls? Was it because he was the best most talented player/QB in the league? No. Brady is super talented but not nearly as such as Rodgers, he won Super Bowls because he is loyal to the franchise that he plays for and the people around him. His willingness to sacrifice was the reason he won, Rodgers doesn't have that personality trait. Did he offer to restructure his mega deal to get Cobb or any other receivers to GB? No sir. He signed the most player friendly deal you could possible get.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 12:53 AM
That might be true. It might be true that Rodgers wanted to get out of Green Bay, although I find that hard to believe. For whatever reason, the Packers decision makers decided that it was a good idea to keep him with the team. If you assume Rodgers gave up a desire to leave for a ton of money, then they did what was necessary to keep him. I'm all for that. Rodgers at the time of the contract made that seem like a good idea. Rodgers' play this past season - probably injury plagued, definitely with lower quality receivers for most of the season is what makes the contract seem bad. I thoroughly expect Rodgers to get back to his old self and make this contract look like a good thing even to the negativist fools who currently seem justified in their idiocy.

As for the idea of it being difficult to improve the team with Rodgers' contract, the $150 million with $100 million guaranteed is not the relevant thing. His cap hit is relevant. As with most years for the Packers, the team really doesn't need much to get back to 13-4 or 14-3 - assuming Rodgers plays up to his past history prior to this season. And whatever we do need isn't gonna be blocked by Rodgers' cap hit.

It's hard to shoot down the anti-Rodgers shitheads right now, as miserable as this season was (far from all of that misery being Rodgers' fault). All I can do is hope and expect things to get back to normal next season and beyond. And I say fuck any assholes who see it otherwise.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 12:59 AM
double post

King Friday
01-12-2023, 04:59 AM
Hoping for a near 40 year old player to suddenly start playing like an MVP again is a foolish bet. People who are against Rodgers do not want him to fail, they simply do not put on blinders and assume his career trajectory will match that of Tom Brady. It is far more likely his trajectory will follow the other 99% of QBs, and the Packers should be assuming the same. That is why his contract was such an epic failure. Even Adams made the correct assumption on Rodgers, even if he made a horribly inaccurate assumption on Carr. How Gute got played will be analyzed for decades in Packers lore.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 10:45 AM
Yeah, the mantra of the dumbasses and haters is that Rodgers can't do what Brady has done. I say why the hell not? The real question is, does Rodgers care enough to try to continue excellence as long or longer than Brady? As I said, I'm not gonna be like the shitheads and presume to know what's in Rodgers heart and mind, but I'm thinking and hoping he's prideful enough to want to outdo Brady. If I'm wrong, the Packers and all of us who are their fans will suffer, as the great times we've seen for thirty years give or take will succumb to the mediocrity that most fans around the league have to put up with.

Gutekunst will be remembered as the GM who was intelligent enough to keep Rodgers in Green Bay and extend the greatness whatever number of years.

Fritz
01-12-2023, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the mantra of the dumbasses and haters is that Rodgers can't do what Brady has done. I say why the hell not? The real question is, does Rodgers care enough to try to continue excellence as long or longer than Brady? As I said, I'm not gonna be like the shitheads and presume to know what's in Rodgers heart and mind, but I'm thinking and hoping he's prideful enough to want to outdo Brady. If I'm wrong, the Packers and all of us who are their fans will suffer, as the great times we've seen for thirty years give or take will succumb to the mediocrity that most fans around the league have to put up with.

Gutekunst will be remembered as the GM who was intelligent enough to keep Rodgers in Green Bay and extend the greatness whatever number of years.

Because he hasn't done it and he's about to turn 40?

SudsMcBucky
01-12-2023, 11:29 AM

Yep, unfortunately this is spot on. Although, I'm NOT on the side of running AR out of town before he wants to hang it up. I really think most of his problems this year were related to his injured thumb.

bobblehead
01-12-2023, 02:43 PM

Because he has stated he doesn't WANT TO.

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 03:39 PM

Hasn't done what? He had a bad year - for him. Still way better than most QBs now or ever. You think he won't snap back? Why? "about to turn 40"? Brady is still goiing strong at 45 or so, and arguably Rodgers is a better player than Brady or literally anybody else, so why not?

texaspackerbacker
01-12-2023, 03:44 PM
Because he has stated he doesn't WANT TO.

Stated he doesn't want to what? Play at a high level as long as Brady has? I don't suppose he ever came out and arrogantly claimed that, but you're saying he claimed the opposite ....... I don't think so.

sharpe1027
01-12-2023, 07:54 PM
Hasn't done what? He had a bad year - for him. Still way better than most QBs now or ever. You think he won't snap back? Why? "about to turn 40"? Brady is still goiing strong at 45 or so, and arguably Rodgers is a better player than Brady or literally anybody else, so why not?

He didn't have a good year period. No caveats like "for him" needed.

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2023, 09:17 AM

Aside from Brady, what other quarterback ever has had great success over 40?

King Friday
01-14-2023, 11:48 AM
Outside of Brady, who has 60 wins or something after 40, the next 2 closest to him on the list are Brees and Favre, each with 17 wins past age 40. Both of them played well soon after 40 (i.e. comparable to Rodgers next season) but both were showing significant decline within a year after hitting 40. There are quite a few other QBs who played after 40, but nearly all of the rest were horrible at that point.

So, Brady is still very good at age 45…Favre and Brees were good for about one season after 40…and that’s it.

But sure Tex…your assumption that Rodgers will easily duplicate what Brady is doing is perfectly logical….sigh.

bobblehead
01-14-2023, 01:04 PM
Stated he doesn't want to what? Play at a high level as long as Brady has? I don't suppose he ever came out and arrogantly claimed that, but you're saying he claimed the opposite ....... I don't think so.

He absolutely did.
=================================
With Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady turning 45 this week, Rodgers was asked if he saw himself playing until he was 45.

"No, I don't," Rodgers smiled as he shook his head from side to side when speaking to reporters Thursday, "but happy birthday, Tom."

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2023, 07:01 PM
I think that would be called "self deprecation". You know as well as I do how Rodgers likes toying with the assholes of the fake news media.

bobblehead
01-15-2023, 03:10 AM
I think that would be called "self deprecation". You know as well as I do how Rodgers likes toying with the assholes of the fake news media.

I watched it when it happened. He meant it he is not playing till he's 45.

texaspackerbacker
01-15-2023, 10:23 AM
You KNOW what's in his head huh? hahahahahahaha

King Friday
01-15-2023, 04:53 PM

Yes, because HE FUCKING TOLD US, dumbass.

You are the one claiming he doesn’t mean what he actually said, so you are the one trying to read his mind. I’m taking him at his word.

smuggler
01-15-2023, 07:03 PM
I have more confidence in a 40 year old hall of famer than our current alternatives. However, just like any team with any season, it would be a huge jackpot if we won the whole shabang. And that would be without offensive dysfunction and salary cap headaches.

bobblehead
01-15-2023, 07:21 PM

You seem to think you do. Since you believe opposite if what he is saying you must know whats in his head.

texaspackerbacker
01-15-2023, 11:51 PM
Like he's never played the bastards of the God damned media - sheeeesh. Ya'all haters are really fucked up.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-16-2023, 01:52 AM
Yes, because HE FUCKING TOLD US, dumbass.

You are the one claiming he doesn’t mean what he actually said, so you are the one trying to read his mind. I’m taking him at his word.

I told y’all three years ago I was gonna quit burger flipping. Here I am, still flipping burgers miserably. Goddamn, for the sake of mind and body, I really do need to quit. Why haven’t I quit?

Fear of the unknown.

Butte has a tons of frogskins in the bank. He’s currently going steady with the daughter of the pig owner of the Bucks. If he truly ain’t queer and takes that relationship to the next level, he could be majority owner of the MKE Male Deer in the future. Or he could fly off to Peru to drink tea and forsake America forever.

But Tex and I know precisely Butte ain’t gonna quit. He has too big of an ego to let a pick be his final straw. And he’s merely a mortal man, so he, too, fears the unknown.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2023, 05:01 PM
Remember when….

We wuz a playoff contender?? :lol:

Fritz
01-16-2023, 05:07 PM

Whuut? "Still way better than most QBs now or ever"? Tex, do you have a closed-head injury? While I admire your ability to spell "self-deprecating" correctly, this is just a bullshit statement. Just look at the numbers. Rodgers had a suck-ass year. Period. And don't pull that shit that it wasn't his fault. You said straight up that his year was "better than most QB's now or ever."

Jared Goff was better. As were many others. Like, half the quarterbacks in the league this year.

King Friday
01-16-2023, 05:31 PM
I’m not saying Rodgers will quit. I fully expect him to be back next year because of his ego and the multitude of financial reasons. He’s out to merely crush Gute at this point, and the best way to do that is run Love out of town and earn $60M a year while playing like a mediocre mid-level starter.

George Cumby
01-16-2023, 05:32 PM
Jared Goff was better. As were many others. Like, half the quarterbacks in the league this year.

Someone pointed out in the WC thread that Daniel Jones and Kirk Cousins both played better in yesterdays' match up than Rodgers all season.

In the past, I've watched other teams' QB play with a mixture of joy that our QB was so much better and pity because other QB's were such dreck.

Rodgers isn't dreck, yet, but he's not what he was and that's unlikely to improve.

Plus he's a punk ass diva bitch who needs to go the fuck away.

Joemailman
01-16-2023, 06:16 PM
I think that unlike Favre, Rodgers does care what his legacy will be in Green Bay after he is done playing. So I wonder if Rodgers would retire or agree to a trade if he became convinced that the majority of fans, players and front office people would rather have Love at QB. Or would his ego prevent him from ever coming to that conclusion? Or would he come back just to prove everybody wrong?

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2023, 06:37 PM
More idiocy and Rodgers derangement syndrome in here from the usual suspects in here.

George Cumby
01-16-2023, 07:15 PM
More idiocy and Rodgers derangement syndrome in here from the usual suspects in here.

Always projection with you.

MadScientist
01-16-2023, 10:02 PM

More Rodgers' ball washing from the usual suspect here.

MadScientist
01-16-2023, 10:10 PM
Remember when….

We wuz a playoff contender?? :lol:

Seems like a long time ago.

Fritz
01-17-2023, 06:55 AM
I think that unlike Favre, Rodgers does care what his legacy will be in Green Bay after he is done playing. So I wonder if Rodgers would retire or agree to a trade if he became convinced that the majority of fans, players and front office people would rather have Love at QB. Or would his ego prevent him from ever coming to that conclusion? Or would he come back just to prove everybody wrong?

I think you know the answer. He's not going to retire or agree to a trade because he wants to make fans or front office people feel more kindly about his legacy. He's going to come back to prove everybody wrong, as you suggest in that last line.

Fosco33
01-17-2023, 07:15 AM
TeamArod here.

He’s never said he was retiring, held a presser while crying and came back 4mo later.
Never sent dick picks. Or cheated on his wife.
Never lied about his drug use.

Y’all are somehow butt hurt about his Covid stance? While almost none of you have gotten this latest booster. Or him wanting to win and being salty years ago?

I hate stupid people and hypocrites.

ARod is neither of those things.

I’ll take a healthy ARod, receivers w/ a year under their belts, etc.

I’d also be fine if he retired or asked for a trade.

It’s just a silly game.

Joemailman
01-17-2023, 08:04 AM
TeamArod here.

He’s never said he was retiring, held a presser while crying and came back 4mo later.
Never sent dick picks. Or cheated on his wife.
Never lied about his drug use.

Y’all are somehow butt hurt about his Covid stance? While almost none of you have gotten this latest booster. Or him wanting to win and being salty years ago?

I hate stupid people and hypocrites.

ARod is neither of those things.

I’ll take a healthy ARod, receivers w/ a year under their belts, etc.

I’d also be fine if he retired or asked for a trade.

It’s just a silly game.

What? I don't know of anyone who cares about that. Except for you apparently. I think it's time to move on from Rodgers because the last couple of years in elimination games he hadn't been able to outplay Jimmy Garoppolo and Jared Goff. I see Daniel Jones and Brock Purdy doing things he can't do anymore.

Fosco33
01-17-2023, 09:22 AM
Packers averaged 37 points allowed in our last 3 NFCC games.

I’m arguing the amount of vitriol spewed at 12 is ridiculous. The guy has played thru injuries, adapted to a run first mentality, watched the Def get most of the FA and Draft love (see above). He won back/back MVPs and y’all think he’s a diva and trash.

That asinine.

I would love to see him traded for value but don’t see that happening. We’ll know where we stand by early March. Til then it’s all speculation and bullshit.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-17-2023, 09:29 AM

I’m arguing the amount of vitriol spewed at 12 is ridiculous. The guy has played thru injuries, adapted to a run first mentality, watched the Def get most of the FA and Draft love (see above). He won back/back MVPs and y’all think he’s a diva and trash.

That asinine.

I would love to see him traded for value but don’t see that happening. We’ll know where we stand by early March. Til then it’s all speculation and bullshit.

Maybe, but it is clear he ain't what he used to be..

RashanGary
01-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Maybe, but it is clear he ain't what he used to be..

He could be an MVP again with his new style of play if he had a supporting cast that was more serviceable.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-17-2023, 10:41 AM
He could be an MVP again with his new style of play if he had a supporting cast that was more serviceable.

Isn't that true of just about any QB in the league?

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2023, 11:14 AM
It wouldn't shock me if he could put up big stats in the regular season. He has done that a lot. Lots of NBA players can put up big numbers in the regular season. But then the playoffs come along and defenses get tighter and better. Same for the NFL I imagine. When has he last had a great playoff performance? What about carrying a team in a playoff game? I am sorta over the great regular seasons with crappy playoff games thing.

Joemailman
01-17-2023, 11:41 AM
It wouldn't shock me if he could put up big stats in the regular season. He has done that a lot. Lots of NBA players can put up big numbers in the regular season. But then the playoffs come along and defenses get tighter and better. Same for the NFL I imagine. When has he last had a great playoff performance? What about carrying a team in a playoff game? I am sorta over the great regular seasons with crappy playoff games thing.

I agree. There's also this to consider which has been the case for a while. Brady being the notable exception:

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

After Tom Brady is eliminated tonight, here will be the ages of the starting quarterbacks for the remaining 8 playoff teams:

Dak Prescott will be the oldest remaining quarterback at age 29.

Fritz
01-17-2023, 01:35 PM

That asinine.

And the vaunted Packer offense, led by #12, averaged 22.3 points per game in those last three NFCC games.

Dude's been pooping the bed in the playoffs for a long time. And that's without counting last year, which was not a NFCC.

Fosco33
01-17-2023, 02:14 PM
And the vaunted Packer offense, led by #12, averaged 22.3 points per game in those last three NFCC games.

Dude's been pooping the bed in the playoffs for a long time. And that's without counting last year, which was not a NFCC.

No argument there. Its why they loaded up on RBs and Defense - to win playoff games in Lambeau.

My argument is the amount of shade being directed at one of our best players doesn’t line up with reality.

King Friday
01-17-2023, 05:23 PM
My argument is the amount of shade being directed at one of our best players doesn’t line up with reality.

I disagree. The value of the contract he now has comes with a certain level of expected performance. I think most Packers fans would be fine accepting Rodgers as he is if he didn’t hold the team hostage to get a ridiculous contract that precludes the team’s ability to actually surround Rodgers with the talent that he now needs.

Fosco33
01-17-2023, 06:02 PM
I disagree. The value of the contract he now has comes with a certain level of expected performance. I think most Packers fans would be fine accepting Rodgers as he is if he didn’t hold the team hostage to get a ridiculous contract that precludes the team’s ability to actually surround Rodgers with the talent that he now needs.

Packers brass signed this willingly 10mo ago. How is that holding a team hostage, etc.

He admitted he needed to play better.

How many guys have signed huge contracts and then played like shit? Plenty.

He was on downswing before 2019 and then played well last 2 years. Idk

King Friday
01-17-2023, 06:07 PM
Fine. All hail, Caesar.

It won’t end any better for Rodgers than it did for Rome. Get out the fiddles.

Joemailman
01-17-2023, 07:51 PM
I don't really care whether Rodgers can win another MVP. The question is whether he can come through in the 4th quarter of an elimination game with the game on the line. He hasn't been able to do that since @Dallas 6 years ago.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2023, 08:53 PM
I don't really care whether Rodgers can win another MVP. The question is whether he can come through in the 4th quarter of an elimination game with the game on the line. He hasn't been able to do that since @Dallas 6 years ago.

This is largely where I land as well.