PDA

View Full Version : Fuck MLF

George Cumby
01-09-2023, 12:05 PM
Every year, the same thing.

The bigger the game, the more the team folds.

Lack of discipline, mental errors, lack of intensity.

That's on you, Matty boi.

Campbell had his guys ready to rumble, Matty had his guys ready to go to a middle school dance.

Not to mention the Joe Barely hire and the inability to manage the dive qb.

I can't see them firing him, but a guy can dream.

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Last 3 seasons have ended with home loss in NFC title game, home loss in divisional round, and home loss causing them to miss the playoffs. The trajectory is not good. He'll get a chance to turn it around, but now the pressure is really on.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2023, 12:31 PM
Again here, be careful what ya'all wish for. Over the long haul, LaFleur has been an excellent creative play caller, and I, for one, would much rather have a low key cerebral guy than some kind of rah rah dumbass as coach.

hoosier
01-09-2023, 12:50 PM
Last 3 seasons have ended with home loss in NFC title game, home loss in divisional round, and home loss causing them to miss the playoffs. The trajectory is not good. He'll get a chance to turn it around, but now the pressure is really on.

It doesn't look good but it also seems fairly typical. How many NFL coaches can say they have a record of increasingly success over time? With most of the coaches we would call successful, it seems the pattern is, a year or two to install their system/philosophy, a year or two of ascending success, and then a period of decline in which things become stale. That's more or less what happened with Holmgren (maybe it wasn't so much that things got stale as he got bored and wanted to return to the west coast), Sherman, and MM. All different, of course, but each of them had their up-then-down career arc with GB. The Mikes were able to revive their careers in other places. I think MLF is closer to the Mikes than to Sherman; if GB fired him, he would get multiple opportunities from around the league. Whether or not he can continue building in GB is another question. There is a lot of independent variables that he doesn't control, too.

bobblehead
01-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Is it possible the QB has reverted to some bad habits in his farewell season? Throwing deep on 3rd and 2 instead of looking for the first down? Insisting on lining up in shotgun eliminating play action (on his lone TD pass he was under center and ran play action). The D was pretty damn good, but the offense stunk on ice. I won't blame MiLF for Jones fumble. I won't blame him for Rodgers 2 picks. Not sure what to think on the Douglas and Walker mental lapses.

Fat mike ran it to the NFCC game with Favre before old brent decided throwing a pick by forcing it downfield was more desirable than getting colder. He suffered for a year before Rodgers really caught fire, then had a nice run with his QB before everyone got comfortable. I see similar storyline playing out here. We all know playing in the cold is a young mans endeavor, and Rodgers isn't young by NFL standards anymore. We got punked by a team that was more fired up. Our QB looked all year like this was a farewell tour. No one had a sense of urgency other than spurts. Once again, the D wasn't the problem last night. ST weren't what cost us the game. Inability to finish in the red zone and turnovers cost us this game.

bobblehead
01-09-2023, 01:06 PM
Oh, and George....every year is the same thing for 31 teams. Only one gets to win it all.

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 01:22 PM
It doesn't look good but it also seems fairly typical. How many NFL coaches can say they have a record of increasingly success over time? With most of the coaches we would call successful, it seems the pattern is, a year or two to install their system/philosophy, a year or two of ascending success, and then a period of decline in which things become stale. That's more or less what happened with Holmgren (maybe it wasn't so much that things got stale as he got bored and wanted to return to the west coast), Sherman, and MM. All different, of course, but each of them had their up-then-down career arc with GB. The Mikes were able to revive their careers in other places. I think MLF is closer to the Mikes than to Sherman; if GB fired him, he would get multiple opportunities from around the league. Whether or not he can continue building in GB is another question. There is a lot of independent variables that he doesn't control, too.

Both Holmgren and McCarthy had teams on an upswing in their 4th year, and would win it all their 5th year. The same cannot be said of MLF who seemed to peak in his 2nd year and is on a downhill slope. Maybe he can turn it around, but the lack of discipline seen on this team at times is concerning.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2023, 02:08 PM
Oh, and George....every year is the same thing for 31 teams. Only one gets to win it all.

That has NEVER made me feel any better about losing..

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2023, 02:53 PM

I don't share this concern. Teams that are successful are supposed to get worse. That's the salary cap and draft order working.

I _am_ concerned about how Matty often doesn't seem to have the team ready to play in important games. It's more of a feeling than something that shows up in the record books but it seemed like M3 always had the team ready to go after a buy, etc. He just seemed more rah-rah and I appreciate that.

I don't think it's time to move on from Matt, but I do think it's probably time for a rebuild and the window is largely closed. They have a lot of holes to fill next year on offense.

run pMc
01-09-2023, 03:29 PM
MLF just signed an extension, he's not going anywhere. They'll want to see him without Rodgers, unless something else happens first.
Agree with the team preparation and focus going into games. In fairness, they'd been in playoff elimination mode for a few weeks, they just couldn't close the deal vs. DET.
After the first DET loss, I didn't think they were a playoff team; I reconsidered after the MIA game. They were about what their record showed - and I think they underperformed.

MLF needs to get that team more disciplined, and he needs to fix the RZ offense (losing Getsy and Hackett likely hurt) and get a better DC.
He also needs to get Stenovich to work with Butkus and fix whatever is going on in the OL room.

Vincenzo
01-09-2023, 04:58 PM
Lack of discipline, mental errors, lack of intensity.“

I’m with you totally on this!

George Cumby
01-09-2023, 06:04 PM

It's not that they didn't win the 'Owl.

It's how they lost; they just got BEAT. AND they beat themselves with stupid fucking errors.

And again, the most salient point for me is how do they perform in the biggest games? Under Captain Well-Groomed, they save their worst performances for the biggest games.

bobblehead
01-09-2023, 07:08 PM
I just don't see it that way. Unless you ONLY define big games as the last one played each year....which by definition would be the game you lose in the playoffs.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2023, 08:21 PM
Last 3 seasons have ended with home loss in NFC title game, home loss in divisional round, and home loss causing them to miss the playoffs. The trajectory is not good.

every good team except for 1 ends the season with a loss

I read that in a fortune cookie

edit: I see 7 people piled on to that point

Packer fans are spoiled by 20 years of relative success.

The Packer brass went for a Superbowl this year and misjudged the talent around Rodgers, well, Rodgers too, but pieces were not in place. I don't think firing coaches is the way forward. The GM shit the bed.

George Cumby
01-09-2023, 08:36 PM
I just don't see it that way. Unless you ONLY define big games as the last one played each year....which by definition would be the game you lose in the playoffs.

Here's an honest question:

Which team was more physical last night?

Joemailman
01-09-2023, 11:08 PM
every good team except for 1 ends the season with a loss

I read that in a fortune cookie

edit: I see 7 people piled on to that point

Packer fans are spoiled by 20 years of relative success.

The Packer brass went for a Superbowl this year and misjudged the talent around Rodgers, well, Rodgers too, but pieces were not in place. I don't think firing coaches is the way forward. The GM shit the bed.

Pretty sure I said he'll get a chance to turn it round, which you edited out. But that's okay. But I maintain the trajectory is not good. Not irreversible, but not good. Do a lot of people feel the Packers are as close to winning a Super Bowl now as they were 2 years ago?

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2023, 12:23 AM
That depends entirely on how long Rodgers stays - and NOT in the negative way that some shitheads probably would see that.

bobblehead
01-10-2023, 09:49 AM
Here's an honest question:

Which team was more physical last night?

Like almost 100% of the time...the team that won. Duh.

ThunderDan
01-10-2023, 10:10 AM
2022 Green Bay Packers 17 542 350 64.6 3695 26 12 91.1
2021 Green Bay Packers 16 531 366 68.9 4115 37 4 111.9
2020 Green Bay Packers 16 526 372 70.7 4299 48 5 121.5
2019 Green Bay Packers 16 569 353 62.0 4002 26 4 95.4
2018 Green Bay Packers 16 597 372 62.3 4442 25 2 97.6

ARod's stats for the last 5 years. The 2022 numbers don't stack up anywhere near the past 4 years. 2022 was middle of the pack at best, for $50+ Million.

RashanGary
01-10-2023, 10:22 AM
Like almost 100% of the time...the team that won. Duh.

Detroit won the trenches but Amos, Quay and Lazard were the most physical athletic guys on the field.

run pMc
01-10-2023, 10:31 AM
Re: Aaron's stats.

Closest recent year was his injury shortened 2017 season. Even so, he averaged just under 220 yards passing per game this year. That's pretty low. Most of his advanced stats this year were about average compared to other starters. So the team is paying top dollar for average production at QB.

In fairness, he was coming off two consecutive MVP seasons, but this was his age 39 season -- like it or not, the decline has started. He gutted thru some injuries, but he's only going to get more fragile. Don't recall any MVP moments this year. He occasionally made a great throw, but so has Taylor Heinicke. Was not consistently great and sometimes flat out bad this year in games.
(Also interesting: drops and throwaways were up, rate pressured was down. Almost never ran/scrambled this year.)

I don't think Rodgers can carry a team like he did in the McCarthy era, but he can win if he can adapt to go thru his reads, and deliver the ball accurately and on-time -- the younger talent should help shoulder the burden. Watson and Doubs are good building blocks.

I think before we judge MLF, we have to see him separate from Rodgers. A good/great QB can win in spite of bad coaching. Also, I'm not 100% we've seen the MLF offense; they still run a MLF/M3 hybrid at times.
I do think a losing season next year warms his seat up though.

Fritz
01-10-2023, 12:14 PM

That will mean that the Packers will win next season's meangingless season-ending finale, causing them to go from getting the 5th overall pick to the 8th overall pick.

Joemailman
01-10-2023, 12:19 PM
That will mean that the Packers will win next season's meangingless season-ending finale, causing them to go from getting the 5th overall pick to the 8th overall pick.

I guess I can't blame a Michigander for taking the Packers getting swept by the Lions pretty hard. Hang in there.

sharpe1027
01-10-2023, 11:48 PM
I've got bad news for you. I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Rodgers's contract nearly guarantees.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-14-2023, 05:44 AM
Little Frog has been canned as Jets OC. Lafeur is French for flower, right? Flower and Flower in Green Bay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7KNmW9a75Y