PDA

View Full Version : Off-season 2023 Banjo

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Fritz
04-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Yeah, when you spend a second-round pick on a center or a guard, I think the expectation is that they'd better pan out, and pretty quickly. For a second-round center, Myers's run blocking is for schitzen. You want a guy to turn out like Elgton Jenkins, not Jason Spriggs (okay, he was a tackle, but you get the idea).

run pMc
04-18-2023, 03:45 PM
Yeah, when you spend a second-round pick on a center or a guard, I think the expectation is that they'd better pan out, and pretty quickly. For a second-round center, Myers's run blocking is for schitzen. You want a guy to turn out like Elgton Jenkins, not Jason Spriggs (okay, he was a tackle, but you get the idea).

I think Myers is ok. They ask a lot of him in terms of reach blocks and things like that, and for a center he's pretty tall (6'5") and athletic. He was injured for most of his rookie year and last year was his first full season, so maybe this year he'll be able to make a jump in consistency. I think he can turn out, but this is the year he has to show it. Linsley was such a good center there was almost guaranteed to be some drop off.

At worst Myers is a lower-to-mid level starter. Problem is, Creed Humphrey was on the board and taken one pick later, and he's already gotten plenty of accolades. It's not like there was any secret Humphrey was good either, IIRC he was the top rated C in the draft. The pre-draft hype and performance since makes things look worse in hindsight. I can only assume they thought Myers was a better scheme fit. As APB has told us repeatedly, you don't want to spend a R2 on a Center, but I'd caveat that to not wanting to spend it on a middling one.

Tom would work ok at C because he's smart plus a good technician and athlete. I'd expect he'd have trouble with big NTs and monsters like Dexter Lawrence, but many C's do. That might be where Myers' size could win out. Either way, keeping the pocket clean for JLove will be important. I will be fascinated to see how all things sort out with all these OL already on the roster, as well as seeing what their long-term plan is along the OL. Camp reports on the OL will be interesting.
Very curious if one of Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones, and Sean Rhyan can show anything.

Fritz
04-18-2023, 05:18 PM
I think Myers is ok. They ask a lot of him in terms of reach blocks and things like that, and for a center he's pretty tall (6'5") and athletic. He was injured for most of his rookie year and last year was his first full season, so maybe this year he'll be able to make a jump in consistency. I think he can turn out, but this is the year he has to show it. Linsley was such a good center there was almost guaranteed to be some drop off.

At worst Myers is a lower-to-mid level starter. Problem is, Creed Humphrey was on the board and taken one pick later, and he's already gotten plenty of accolades. It's not like there was any secret Humphrey was good either, IIRC he was the top rated C in the draft. The pre-draft hype and performance since makes things look worse in hindsight. I can only assume they thought Myers was a better scheme fit. As APB has told us repeatedly, you don't want to spend a R2 on a Center, but I'd caveat that to not wanting to spend it on a middling one.

Tom would work ok at C because he's smart plus a good technician and athlete. I'd expect he'd have trouble with big NTs and monsters like Dexter Lawrence, but many C's do. That might be where Myers' size could win out. Either way, keeping the pocket clean for JLove will be important. I will be fascinated to see how all things sort out with all these OL already on the roster, as well as seeing what their long-term plan is along the OL. Camp reports on the OL will be interesting.
Very curious if one of Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones, and Sean Rhyan can show anything.

I think the end of your post is what's exciting and interesting. They did seem to load up last year on guys with potential - the guys you mentioned. So I'm really curious how they approach the draft. What if they think their next left tackle is already on the roster? The draft might tell us a lot about what they think about guys like Walker and Jones, and maybe even Rhyan. Though ugh. That guy.

run pMc
04-21-2023, 12:02 PM
Sometimes the Detroit Lions are gonna Lions

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/04/nfl-players-detroit-lions-gambling-suspension-explained

Fritz
04-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Sometimes the Detroit Lions are gonna Lions

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/04/nfl-players-detroit-lions-gambling-suspension-explained

I love it.

I thought Cephus had a good year for them, but as I looked it up, it wasn't much. The safety, Moore, didn't do much either.

And six games for their last year's first rounder, Williams.

Cool.

Maybe this is what they mean by Dan Campbell being a "player's coach."

Bring on the prostitutes in the locker room!

run pMc
04-21-2023, 03:35 PM
I realize sports gambling is widespread and big business, but after the Calvin Ridley thing you'd expect players to be smarter about that.

That said, it's kind of crazy that you can be suspended longer for placing a bet on your old alma mater from your locker than from beating up your baby mama.
PORTECT TEH SHEELD ROGER

Fritz
04-21-2023, 04:08 PM
I realize sports gambling is widespread and big business, but after the Calvin Ridley thing you'd expect players to be smarter about that.

That said, it's kind of crazy that you can be suspended longer for placing a bet on your old alma mater from your locker than from beating up your baby mama.
PORTECT TEH SHEELD ROGER

This is it, exactly. The NFL made a big push several years ago to "clean up" its image because too many players were involved in domestic violence, or just violence in general, or they were drinking and driving, and so on. But it's more important to protect the conglomerate from any whiff of fixing the games than it is to show that violence/domestic violence is not okay.

Teamcheez1
04-21-2023, 06:06 PM

PORTECT TEH SHEELD ROGER

Gambling is the NFL’s golden goose.
TV revenue, ticket sales, merchandising are all secondary.
Gambling feeds all their other revenue streams.

They don’t care about the fan who watches for the love of the game. There is no money in that.

Fritz
04-22-2023, 09:23 AM
That's a good point. Just look at absolutely how many ads there are for gambling sites. It's everywhere.

But this is a scuff on the sheen of the "up-and-coming-Lions" narrative that is currently playing everywhere, it seems.

But I'm going to guess the coach will go down that old, tired, tried-and-true coach cliche road, and say that it's just another set back to overcome, and the kid (Williams) just didn't know the rules, but the won't tolerate rule-breaking (thus they cut the non-productive guys), that it just puts a target on their backs and a chip on their shoulders, and all that crap.

NewsBruin
04-22-2023, 09:55 AM
Gambling is the NFL’s golden goose.
TV revenue, ticket sales, merchandising are all secondary.
Gambling feeds all their other revenue streams.

They don’t care about the fan who watches for the love of the game. There is no money in that.

I dunno. Online gambling seems like the new shiny revenue stream, and maybe that it's electronic and handheld will keep it a manageable addiction, rather than "I just mortgaged the house" levels (Online platforms will cut off or limit big-money winners to cool them). It comes off to me like ride-hailing or crypto services that get flooded with venture-capital money and turn over that money to every possible advertising or sponsorship outlet. I think the gambling numbers will peak from novelty and then settle in about 3-5 years.

I don't see the NFL's take from gambling coming close to broadcast/streaming-network income. Gamblers may watch more games whose teams/players they wouldn't have any other connection to, so there may be a ratings bounce.

sharpe1027
04-22-2023, 10:19 AM
Similar to fantasy football, there's definitely an indirect revenue benefit from gambling. Increased interest in games is almost certain to drive increased advertising revenue across multiple different platforms.

How much? I don't have the first clue.

run pMc
04-26-2023, 04:29 PM
Came across this article. It's PFF premium content, but you get to at least the parts where it shows best pass blocking rates from 2016-2021.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pass-protection-diminishing-returns-offensive-lineman-value

Would ya look at that? The sacred cow is the top ranked pass blocking OT over that time.
Also -- worth noting 3 other players who spent considerable time with GB also on the list (Bulaga, Sitton, Lang). Proof that GB's OL has not been mediocre over the last decade (if not 2 decades).

RashanGary
04-26-2023, 05:57 PM
Came across this article. It's PFF premium content, but you get to at least the parts where it shows best pass blocking rates from 2016-2021.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pass-protection-diminishing-returns-offensive-lineman-value

Would ya look at that? The sacred cow is the top ranked pass blocking OT over that time.
Also -- worth noting 3 other players who spent considerable time with GB also on the list (Bulaga, Sitton, Lang). Proof that GB's OL has not been mediocre over the last decade (if not 2 decades).

Tex is just wrong headed on this topic. 12 was notorious for holding the ball. Tex attributes him having to run to the OL when it’s Rodgers not throwing the ball. Rodgers got better the last few years of getting rid of the ball. And the OL wasn’t as good last year or maybe the year before either.

red
04-26-2023, 06:43 PM
Tex is just wrong headed on this topic. 12 was notorious for holding the ball. Tex attributes him having to run to the OL when it’s Rodgers not throwing the ball. Rodgers got better the last few years of getting rid of the ball. And the OL wasn’t as good last year or maybe the year before either.

him running around in the pocket while holding on to the ball for too long couldn't have helped the linemen either

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2023, 12:20 AM

That's what you think, huh? Sheeeeesh.

Just watch Love get rushed horribly and not have the escapability that Rodgers had. The Packers O Line was always rated artificially high because of Rodgers. I don't expect Love to be the second coming of Seneca Wallace, but it will be a miracle if he handles the pass rush near as well as Rodgers.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2023, 12:41 AM
Bob Salad just looks like he is gonna blow his top if he has to hear Darkness Retreat one more time lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWsZ_TytXhg

run pMc
04-27-2023, 07:04 AM

I think it's well established that Tex doesn't know OL play very well and his opinions on it are wrong. Poking a little fun at it is all.

From the article:

Not all blocks are created equal. Blocking against Aaron Donald or T.J. Watt is not the same as blocking against an average defensive lineman. Blocking on a screen or a quick-developing route is far easier than doing so on a seven-yard drop with long developing routes.

To account for such contextual factors, we've created a model that incorporates game factors such as down, distance and yards to go. It adjusts a successful block grade for an offensive lineman’s position, the matched-up defenders position, determinative features such as RPO and screens and other features such as dropback depth and the talent of defender (measured by past PFF pass-rushing grades weighted toward the proximity of a given play).

Many pass blocking grading systems also assume that if you are holding your block for something like 3 seconds that should be enough time for the QB to throw the ball. Rodgers would occasionally hold the ball to go for a big play, and OLinemen have commented that made their jobs much harder. Easier to block Khalil Mack for 3 seconds than it is for 5. Last year they took a dip in blocking early because both Newman and Hanson were starting, and it took about half the season for Jenkins and Bakhtiari to get their health and timing back. They finished pretty good and I'd expect that to carry forward. Love should have better speed and mobility than Rodgers, he's much younger. They could even have designed QB runs out of the RPO with Love's legs, no way Rodgers wanted to do that anymore. One thing Rodgers was very good at (as the best QBs are) is sliding around in the pocket to sidestep the rush. If Love can keep his poise and move around in the pocket that will go a long way towards his development.

run pMc
04-27-2023, 07:06 AM
Bob Salad just looks like he is gonna blow his top if he has to hear Darkness Retreat one more time lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWsZ_TytXhg

The weirdness is just getting started for him and the Jets.

Fritz
04-27-2023, 07:36 AM
The weirdness is just getting started for him and the Jets.

First question Rodgers took was from a female reporter who asked him what exactly attracted him to playing with the Jets. Rodgers should've said "Because of reporters who are hot like you are. We didn't have much of that in Green Bay."

RashanGary
04-27-2023, 08:35 AM
I went to a couple practices last year. Rodgers and the third string QB looked similar moving through the drills. Love looked much more snappy and explosive than the other two. There is no doubt that Love has more physical ability to evade a rusher. But it’s a feel too. Favre was never a great athlete but he had a feel for it. Rodgers even at old man stage finds away to quickly make decisions on how to handle the rush. So even with Love being a more explosive athlete, it doesn’t guarantee anything. But he’s got the ability and got a shot. I hear a lot of football people around the league who like Loves chances because he had all the tools.

Fritz
04-27-2023, 09:21 AM
I think, from what I've read, the big concern for him was his slow, slow release. He seemed a little snappier in the Philly mop-up game, but I think that's his big issue.

Joemailman
04-27-2023, 09:31 AM
I think, from what I've read, the big concern for him was his slow, slow release. He seemed a little snappier in the Philly mop-up game, but I think that's his big issue.

I noticed a difference in his release in the Philly game even compared to how he looked in the preseason. That's makes me think Tom Clements really made that a point of emphasis.

run pMc
04-27-2023, 09:45 AM
Footwork is cleaner too, which will lead to better accuracy.
He seems like he might be good enough between the ears as well, which matters.

I think the time sitting and watching benefits a young QB, especially one like JLove. I heard somewhere that most "football experts" believe teams fail drafted QBs more than the other way around. Teams rush them out there before they are ready and don't have good support systems (i.e., OLines, receivers, etc.) to help them either. College to Pros is a big jump.

Fritz
04-27-2023, 09:54 AM
I always thought teams in the more modern era ruined a lot of young guys' careers by throwing them into the fire as rookies. Cripes, the first year you're just trying to remember where the clean towels are and what "X-slant thirty-five G-6" means in the playbook. How can you acclimate and process and still be effective?

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2023, 09:59 AM
I do think that Tom Clements is likely a very good coach.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2023, 10:24 AM
I always thought teams in the more modern era ruined a lot of young guys' careers by throwing them into the fire as rookies. Cripes, the first year you're just trying to remember where the clean towels are and what "X-slant thirty-five G-6" means in the playbook. How can you acclimate and process and still be effective?

You have seen more top 10 draft busts in the last few years than in any other era because they draft these QBs on potential and then thrown them deep into the fire with no life lines.
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky
Zac Wilson

If I was the Jets I would have done the same thing to get Rodgers because obviously you suck at drafting QBs. What I will say is that I give them credit for continuing to draft them and to cut bait as soon as they don't like what the are seeing.

bobblehead
04-27-2023, 12:21 PM
You have seen more top 10 draft busts in the last few years than in any other era because they draft these QBs on potential and then thrown them deep into the fire with no life lines.
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Mitch Trubisky
Zac Wilson

If I was the Jets I would have done the same thing to get Rodgers because obviously you suck at drafting QBs. What I will say is that I give them credit for continuing to draft them and to cut bait as soon as they don't like what the are seeing.

Mayfield needed a holmgren to dial him down. Rosen just flat out sucks. No accuracy. Darnold was always Dilfer material in my book. Wilson has a chance if they work with him from the bench. Trubisky I thought would be better.

red
04-27-2023, 01:36 PM
those are what happens when a 3rd round pick goes top 5 because they are the next best QB in the draft

IMO darnold had to have the greatest marketing team of all time working for him. the media just continued to take this guy deep up the ass, but every time i watched him, he didn't do shit, but the whole game the commentators kept talking about how good he really is

so i would look at the stats, nope, ststs weren't great. you had to go back to his sophomore or freshman year to see him have a few big games, otherwise, nothing special

but the guys on TV and the radio and online would just go on and on about how good he was.

then he went to the jets, AND SUCKED. but the talking heads kept saying he was really good, the jets just sucked. they all said he needed a new team and he would be great. he got a new team, AND HE SUCKED!!!!

and yet there are still actually some out there that think he can be great

it baffles me, it really does

run pMc
04-27-2023, 04:00 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't really watch many QBs closely over the last decade or so, mostly because we had 12 and he was so good.
There were a few guys who I did watch and could tell were good like Burrow, so wasn't surprised he went high. I think Bryce Young is good but wow is he little.

I know a lot of people liked Darnold but I didn't really watch him. All these guys have good arms etc. but I think no matter how good you are you need time, patience, some luck and a lot of hard work to make it at QB. Most teams drafting a QB take them high and aren't patient, and they also tend to have bad/losing culture, coaches/GMs trying to keep their jobs, and shitty talent around the QB. Does anyone think Houston or Indy is a good situation for a rookie QB to just get thrown into the deep end?

OTOH I thought what ARI did with Rosen and Murray took a lot of balls, but was also smart -- it looks kind of bad, but on some level it makes sense to keep drafting QBs until you find a good one, because once you do you're probably good for 10+ years. I don't know if Murray is the answer in ARI, plenty of blame between him and Kliff Kingsbury, but the point is the FO cut bait on Rosen fast and kept going.

run pMc
05-09-2023, 08:57 AM
LS Jack Coco released

Rookie tryout players William Hooper (CB), Boughton Hatcher (LS), and Antonio Moultrie (DL) signed.

Fritz
05-11-2023, 09:32 AM
LS Jack Coco released

Rookie tryout players William Hooper (CB), Boughton Hatcher (LS), and Antonio Moultrie (DL) signed.

As I understand it, reports are out that the Packers will not be re-signing Mercedes Lewis.

That's a puzzler to me. The guy wants to play, by all accounts is a great teacher and lockerroom leader, and he'd show the two brand-new draft picks the ropes - how to be a professional, how to carry yourself, how to block, all the "little" things. And I can't imagine he wants much in the way of a contract - he's still unsigned. So why not cut Tyler Davis?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-11-2023, 09:59 AM
As I understand it, reports are out that the Packers will not be re-signing Mercedes Lewis.

That's a puzzler to me. The guy wants to play, by all accounts is a great teacher and lockerroom leader, and he'd show the two brand-new draft picks the ropes - how to be a professional, how to carry yourself, how to block, all the "little" things. And I can't imagine he wants much in the way of a contract - he's still unsigned. So why not cut Tyler Davis?

Can’t have an all-white TE corps with Lewis around.

MadScientist
05-11-2023, 06:12 PM

Packers know that an old Mercedes isn't worth it.

At this point, he doesn't have a lot to offer as a player. The rest of the stuff would be great if he wants to transition to coaching.

run pMc
05-12-2023, 01:54 PM
Safety Jonathon Owens signed by Green Bay.
Probably shuts the door to Amos coming back.

NewsBruin
05-12-2023, 03:59 PM
We signed an Olympic GOAT('s husband) to our roster!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-12-2023, 09:14 PM

Wait, Michael Phelps is gay?

28 medals denote Olympic GOAT.

smuggler
05-12-2023, 11:31 PM
The Olympic GOAT of subjective Olympics.

Fritz
05-13-2023, 07:50 AM

Sounds like he’s a solid player. Obviously not Olympic-class, world-beater, or else he wouldn’t still be available, but a younger version of Amos, with more speed. And a classy guy, I think. Very talented and driven wife, too.

NewsBruin
05-13-2023, 05:57 PM
Wait, Michael Phelps is gay?

28 medals denote Olympic GOAT.
Which is why I used a partitive and not a definitive article.

From what little I've read, Owens is one of the lowest-rated full-time starters from last season. On paper, I wouldnt want him to be our starter, but it's nice to have someone with seasoning as a backup.

Fritz
05-14-2023, 07:45 AM
Which is why I used a partitive and not a definitive article.

From what little I've read, Owens is one of the lowest-rated full-time starters from last season. On paper, I wouldnt want him to be our starter, but it's nice to have someone with seasoning as a backup.

Given the dearth of talent at that position for Green Bay, it looks to me like they've signed him to be a stop-gap starter My guess is they need someone with experience who will be able to work alongside someone like Darnell Savage, who seems to need a steady hand next to him since, well, he's not.

News, what do you think about this Owens guy as a starter instead of, say, re-signing Amos as the stop-gap starter?

run pMc
05-16-2023, 02:37 PM
After the release of James Wiggins, your current list of safeties on the roster is: Darnell Savage, Rudy Ford, Dallin Leavitt, Anthony Johnson Jr., Innis Gaines, Benny Sapp III, Tarvarious Moore, Jonathan Owens. (Tariq Carpenter moved to ILB.)
That's EIGHT safeties for 53 roster spots plus the PS. Not sure they have a legit staring pair from the bunch. I think they'll patch it together and try to figure out who can communicate with the rest of the secondary the best.

I will say Dallin Leavitt should never play a defensive snap. He's ST only.
Ford and Savage both got benched last year for performance and put back on the field because they needed bodies.

Johnson and Sapp are rookies, and R7/UDFA's at that.
Gaines has barely managed to cling to the roster but might be figuring it out.
I think they're banking on getting at least one decent option from Ford, Moore and Owens, and seeing what playing for a second contract does to Savage.

Will be an interesting camp battle.

One last thing: if reports out of training camp are that the defense looks lights out again, I'm going to worry about the offense. Not that I drank it last year, but I'm staying far away from the "this is a top 5 defense" Kool-Aid until Barry is gone or they prove it.
Last year when the D was shutting down the O in camp, it was because the O stunk.

NewsBruin
05-16-2023, 03:15 PM
News, what do you think about this Owens guy as a starter instead of, say, re-signing Amos as the stop-gap starter?

Aw, man. I'm the worst to tell you. I've seen no Texans games and only a few Packers games last year. And in general, I have no skills evaluating safety play or even know what their duties are under This Guy's defense.

I'm just trying to see if Christian Morgan is still around here.

run pMc
05-16-2023, 05:25 PM
They initially announced Morgan, but he never signed so he's not with GB.

Haven't seen much of Owens, he racked up a lot of tackles as a first time starter for HOU. From what little I've seen, he seems like he's a slight better version of Rudy Ford - fast, aggressive, maybe a little bigger.
Wouldn't want Owens playing single-high but with all the Cover 2, 3 & 4 played these days he can get by. I think he's played ST. Not a horrible pickup, it will be throw a bunch of players into competition and go with the best of what is honestly an uninspiring bunch.

run pMc
05-17-2023, 09:50 AM
DL - your top 5 are ostensibly Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Wooden, Brooks

Ignoring ST snaps,
Last year Jarran Reed played 705 Def snaps, Dean Lowry 482, Devonte Wyatt 224, TJ Slaton 333. (Kenny Clark played 807 - or 78%)

How many snaps can the rookies take? How many can Wyatt and Slaton take? Does Johnathon Ford get on the field and play any snaps? Does Joe Barry just play 2 DL at a time and let teams run on them, essentially dog walking the defense down the field for 7 minutes a pop?

Fritz
05-17-2023, 11:52 AM
DL - your top 5 are ostensibly Clark, Wyatt, Slaton, Wooden, Brooks

Ignoring ST snaps,
Last year Jarran Reed played 705 Def snaps, Dean Lowry 482, Devonte Wyatt 224, TJ Slaton 333. (Kenny Clark played 807 - or 78%)

How many snaps can the rookies take? How many can Wyatt and Slaton take? Does Johnathon Ford get on the field and play any snaps? Does Joe Barry just play 2 DL at a time and let teams run on them, essentially dog walking the defense down the field for 7 minutes a pop?

They carried Jonathan Ford all of last year - he was, in terms of last season, a waste of a roster spot. So they must've red-shirted him in the belief he was going to be worthwhile. So he'd damn well better be getting on the field this year, or else they need to cut him as soon as they know that's the case.

texaspackerbacker
05-17-2023, 01:59 PM
What they have at D line this year seems like a significant upgrade from a year ago, more so from two years ago. Not having Lowery is addition by subtraction, maybe the same for Reed. Slaton should continue to improve, and Wyatt should be a LOT better.

Fritz
05-18-2023, 05:55 AM
They initially announced Morgan, but he never signed so he's not with GB.

Haven't seen much of Owens, he racked up a lot of tackles as a first time starter for HOU. From what little I've seen, he seems like he's a slight better version of Rudy Ford - fast, aggressive, maybe a little bigger.
Wouldn't want Owens playing single-high but with all the Cover 2, 3 & 4 played these days he can get by. I think he's played ST. Not a horrible pickup, it will be throw a bunch of players into competition and go with the best of what is honestly an uninspiring bunch.

They just signed this punter - originally a rugby guy. Looks like a rugby guy. If your punter was your last tackler standing between a returner and the end zone, whom do you want to attempt the tackle?

This guy?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/O8M9Wg1gMzLu2ZXR_CXZoTuvKHI=/0x0:6000x4000/920x613/filters:focal(2520x1520:3480x2480):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72289802/1472412411.0.jpg

Or this guy?

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2018/12/12/PPAN/af864a96-7608-4e63-b330-fdbff339d7f0-05_121218_PACKERS_PRAC_7231.jpg

smuggler
05-21-2023, 07:06 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the Leos will be without four players when they first face the Pack, including WR Jameson Williams. They each received 6 game gambling suspensions.

Fritz
05-22-2023, 07:52 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but the Leos will be without four players when they first face the Pack, including WR Jameson Williams. They each received 6 game gambling suspensions.

I wouldn't bet on that.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Joemailman
05-23-2023, 11:16 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The NFL has passed a new rule instituting all fair catches and touchbacks come out to the 25-yard line on kickoffs, source said. Now the same as the college rule, the thought is that this should make it safer, though special teams coaches around the league oppose the change.

Judy Battista
@judybattista

NFL modeling says kickoff returns should be reduced by 7 percent with fair catch to be spotted at 25 yd line. That, they expect, will lead to 15 percent drop in concussions on the play. NFL will continue to look at it.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman

Packers First Team All-Pro kick returner Keisean Nixon weighs in on the new kickoff rule on Instagram:

“Lol what is a fair catch?”.

bobblehead
05-23-2023, 03:50 PM
Fritz, who is that Bayport High School bench warmer wearing a packer helmet in your picture??

Joemailman
05-23-2023, 05:14 PM
Fritz, who is that Bayport High School bench warmer wearing a packer helmet in your picture??

Ah, the memories.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/11/15/PPAN/a218a059-542c-4ca5-a20b-24017cbdbb2b-APTOPIX_Jaguars_Packers_Football.jpg?crop=1023,576 ,x0,y0&width=1023&height=576&format=pjpg&auto=webp

run pMc
05-23-2023, 08:19 PM
You know how you read about players where the top half and lower half are well coordinated? Yeah, that isn't it.

KYPack
05-23-2023, 09:31 PM
Ah, the memories.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/11/15/PPAN/a218a059-542c-4ca5-a20b-24017cbdbb2b-APTOPIX_Jaguars_Packers_Football.jpg?crop=1023,576 ,x0,y0&width=1023&height=576&format=pjpg&auto=webp

JK Scott. Ranks first on the All time Chickenshit in Packer history.

He works for the Chargers now.

They better not count on him to make any tackles

Fritz
05-24-2023, 08:11 AM
I wonder if the "JK" stands for "Just Kidding . . . I ain't really a football player."

run pMc
05-26-2023, 01:03 PM
Cardinals release DeAndre Hopkins.
June 1 designation saves them $19M, might just eat all of it now as they go full tank for Caleb Williams.

Word is he's more likley to chase money vs. a ring, and the top 5 QBs he'd want to catch passes from included Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Herbert, and Hurts. WHAT? NO RODGERS?

call_me_ishmael
05-28-2023, 12:02 AM
Am I the only one thinks Caleb Williams is going to be overrated? What Lincoln Riley guy has worked out? There's been several.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-28-2023, 04:20 AM
I wonder if the "JK" stands for "Just Kidding . . . I ain't really a football player."

One ain’t need to be a football player to be a punter.

Take myself, for example. After grinding for over 300 hours and getting burnt out, instead of taking a break to refresh the mind, I unwisely played on, which in turn, intensified a dreaded downswing.

Consequently, I “punted” away all 6k of my poker winnings.

Sparkey
05-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Am I the only one thinks Caleb Williams is going to be overrated? What Lincoln Riley guy has worked out? There's been several.

They said that about Tedford quarterbacks....

Fritz
05-31-2023, 08:39 AM
Funny that neither Mercedes Lewis nor Adrian Amos has signed with anyone yet. The clock be ticking.

run pMc
05-31-2023, 10:43 AM
If you aren't signed by now, there are two overlapping reasons:

(1) you're holding out for a team to have an injury or some desperation to sign you, or
(2) you aren't worth the asking price, which for some might be the vet minimum.

Consider that Tyler Davis and Dallin Leavitt have contracts but Amos and Lewis don't, there are reasons for that.

Joemailman
05-31-2023, 05:51 PM

(1) you're holding out for a team to have an injury or some desperation to sign you, or

Consider that Tyler Davis and Dallin Leavitt have contracts but Amos and Lewis don't, there are reasons for that.

Devondre Campbell was signed June 9. Rasul Douglas October 6. Ya never know.

MadScientist
05-31-2023, 09:39 PM

Amos probably thinks he's worth more than minimum. Lewis is pushing 40. He's done.

run pMc
06-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Ohhhh film study of "the sacred cow" that most of us think is actually a top tier LT:
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/21/23767602/green-bay-packers-film-room-david-bakhtiari-left-tackle-2022-season-bills-cowboys-jets-titans

He's still got it. Question is whether his knee will hold up on turf and over 17+ games. If he and Jenkins are back to form (and they should be) the left side of the OL should be very good.
I'd take him over Marshall Newhouse any day.

bobblehead
06-22-2023, 12:01 PM
Ohhhh film study of "the sacred cow" that most of us think is actually a top tier LT:
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/21/23767602/green-bay-packers-film-room-david-bakhtiari-left-tackle-2022-season-bills-cowboys-jets-titans

He's still got it. Question is whether his knee will hold up on turf and over 17+ games. If he and Jenkins are back to form (and they should be) the left side of the OL should be very good.
I'd take him over Marshall Newhouse any day.

They mention his hands. If Yosh had those hands he would be better than Bak. You would think someone would take him aside every practice and work those hands until the bleed.

That out of the way, Bak is still elite when healthy (meaning the NFL has decided when he does it, its not holding). Given his age, and the teams options and place, trading him makes total sense. Start Yosh and Tom at the tackles. As things stand, I feel like the packers are just waiting for an injury to get Tom in the lineup. We aren't winning the Owl this year. Get a 2nd for Bak and move on.

Sparkey
06-22-2023, 10:57 PM
Yosh is a good swing tackle. Nothing more. Bahk is so good because he has great feet and great balance. Two things that no one will ever say about
Nijman.

texaspackerbacker
06-22-2023, 11:17 PM
I'm sure the haters are gonna do what they do best, spew hate, but I'll say it anyway: I watched that whole damn video link, and I still wasn't impressed. First of all, they really only cherry-picked a few plays and played them over and over. And even on those, Bakhtiari didn't look particularly special. Of course, he's better than Marshall House - who was so noticeably bad as to be the exception - but I would suggest Bakhtiari's mediocrity even in the video especially set up to showcase him was no better than a helluva lot of other OTs, Packers and otherwise. Another thing the video showed was that some of these where Bakhtiari was supposedly standing out were not really successful. Conversely, the Packers had MANY plays, Rodgers passes, Jones runs, etc. where Bakhtiari was not even a part of making them work. In many of those, the whole O Line did very little - just Rodgers getting rushed badly and making something out of nothing.

bobblehead
06-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Yosh is a good swing tackle. Nothing more. Bahk is so good because he has great feet and great balance. Two things that no one will ever say about
Nijman.

Do you watch football? Yosh has incredible feet. He is much more than a good swing tackle. He will get a starters contract after this season unless he became content and regressed. Yosh is already a legit starting tackle. Not top tier like Bak, but much more than a swing tackle. And as I've pointed out, if the NFL decides its holding Bak is finished.

bobblehead
06-23-2023, 07:52 PM
I'm sure the haters are gonna do what they do best, spew hate, but I'll say it anyway: I watched that whole damn video link, and I still wasn't impressed. First of all, they really only cherry-picked a few plays and played them over and over. And even on those, Bakhtiari didn't look particularly special. Of course, he's better than Marshall House - who was so noticeably bad as to be the exception - but I would suggest Bakhtiari's mediocrity even in the video especially set up to showcase him was no better than a helluva lot of other OTs, Packers and otherwise. Another thing the video showed was that some of these where Bakhtiari was supposedly standing out were not really successful. Conversely, the Packers had MANY plays, Rodgers passes, Jones runs, etc. where Bakhtiari was not even a part of making them work. In many of those, the whole O Line did very little - just Rodgers getting rushed badly and making something out of nothing.

Rodgers did manage to make a losing season out of a really good roster if thats what you are referring to.

texaspackerbacker
06-23-2023, 09:00 PM
I tend to think injuries did that hahahahaha.

bobblehead
06-25-2023, 10:42 AM
I tend to think injuries did that hahahahaha.

You tend to make excuses for Rodgers, similar to the way some blame him for the sky being blue.

texaspackerbacker
06-25-2023, 01:14 PM
Uh, yeah. Does that mean you disagree?

run pMc
06-26-2023, 07:49 AM
Bert Farve won 10 games with a broken thumb in 2003, why couldn't Rodgers win at least 9? Clearly not even the GOAT Packer, never mind GOAT QB.

MadScientist
06-26-2023, 09:39 AM
Bert Farve won 10 games with a broken thumb in 2003, why couldn't Rodgers win at least 9? Clearly not even the GOAT Packer, never mind GOAT QB.

They only won 8 when Favre broke his thumb in 1999.

run pMc
06-26-2023, 01:14 PM
They only won 8 when Favre broke his thumb in 1999.

This is true.

They also had Ray Rhodes as HC.
Good DC, bad HC. I'd also say their 2022 roster was better than the 1999 roster.

Injuries happen, especially as QBs age.
If you aren't healthy enough to play well maybe you should sit for a week to give the thumb time to heal? Rodgers wasn't trying to milk some consecutive games streak.

sharpe1027
06-26-2023, 03:50 PM
This is true.

Good DC, bad HC. I'd also say their 2022 roster was better than the 1999 roster.

If you aren't healthy enough to play well maybe you should sit for a week to give the thumb time to heal? Rodgers wasn't trying to milk some consecutive games streak.

Here's another thought. If you're struggling with accuracy due to an injury, how about making more of the easy and short throws?

run pMc
06-26-2023, 05:44 PM
Here's another thought. If you're struggling with accuracy due to an injury, how about making more of the easy and short throws?

Nah. MOF is where the Alex Smiths of the world throw. Gotta prove you're better than Alex Smith, even if he retired years ago without a ring.
Besides, everyone loves those YOLO deep sideline throws when they make the highlights on Sportscenter, who care if they connect at less than 50% and you check out of a run on 3rd and 2.

Yeah, maybe Jonesy should have gotten the ball more.

(Yes, I'm just having a little fun. He was a great QB)

MadScientist
06-27-2023, 09:52 AM

Rodgers missed a bunch of those short throws as well.

sharpe1027
06-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Rodgers missed a bunch of those short throws as well.

Ya. I think that further highlights there was a need to change the approach or rest and get healthy.

MadScientist
06-27-2023, 10:13 AM
This is true.

The Favre injury and the Brian Williams injury dropped the Packers out of the playoffs more than Rhodes did. Both Favre and Rodgers should have sat for the good of the team.

texaspackerbacker
06-27-2023, 11:19 AM
IMO they should NOT have sat Favre or Rodgers except when absolutely not possible for them to play. We had enough games with Tolzien or worst of all Seneca Wallace among other crap backups that Favre or Rodgers at 80/70/60/50% effectiveness was preferable.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-27-2023, 01:10 PM
IMO they should NOT have sat Favre or Rodgers except when absolutely not possible for them to play. We had enough games with Tolzien or worst of all Seneca Wallace among other crap backups that Favre or Rodgers at 80/70/60/50% effectiveness was preferable.

99 team had Hasselback and Brooks, both future NFL starters backing up Favor. Last year’s team had J-Lo. Sure, they ain’t Butte or Favor. But an argument could be made that they ain’t Tolzien, Wallace, or worst of all, Brett Hundley, either.

I once spent 200 of my minimum-wage paycheck to watch Hundley play live against the Baltimore She-males, a game in which the Packers were annihilated something like 72-0. Hundley was every bit as abominable in that game as his distant relative, Attila the Hun.

bobblehead
06-27-2023, 01:32 PM
Nah. MOF is where the Alex Smiths of the world throw. Gotta prove you're better than Alex Smith, even if he retired years ago without a ring.
Besides, everyone loves those YOLO deep sideline throws when they make the highlights on Sportscenter, who care if they connect at less than 50% and you check out of a run on 3rd and 2.

Yeah, maybe Jonesy should have gotten the ball more.

(Yes, I'm just having a little fun. He was a great QB)

Tin cup would never settle for the safe throw....just sayin'

bobblehead
06-27-2023, 01:35 PM

The funny thing is that wallace only played like a game and a quarter but your statement is still accurate. It was too much.

SudsMcBucky
06-27-2023, 01:47 PM
Tin cup would never settle for the safe throw....just sayin'

Which is all great until you dunk 8 in the water on the final hole................or throw a pick in OT.

QBME
06-27-2023, 05:13 PM
Which is all great until you dunk 8 in the water on the final hole................or throw a pick in OT.

Ha!

Fritz
06-30-2023, 01:37 PM
I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of check-downs and safe throws. We'll get out fill, I'll bet, this year.

MadScientist
07-01-2023, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of check-downs and safe throws. We'll get out fill, I'll bet, this year.

When the coverage calls for it, a checkdown is better than waiting forever for somebody to get open. If a safe throw means throwing to the open guy on time, I'm all for it.

Fritz
07-05-2023, 12:03 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying we're going to see a lot more of it this year, and at times it will drive us nuts.

MadScientist
07-05-2023, 02:16 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying we're going to see a lot more of it this year, and at times it will drive us nuts.

Unless it results in a lot of 2-3 yard gains on third and four, it won't drive me nuts. He will have to hit some deep ones to keep the defense honest, but he has plenty of arm strength to do it. I'm almost certain he will hit a number of 10-15 yard throws over the middle, which I'll be thrilled to see.

Fritz
07-06-2023, 09:08 AM
Devondre Campbell was signed June 9. Rasul Douglas October 6. Ya never know.

Speaking of "ya never know," does anyone know much about the two wide receivers in the supplemental draft pool? The supplemental draft is next Tuesday, and I wonder if either of the two is worth bidding on. One's named Wright and the other is, I think, Weideman. Both had issues with academics. Both about 6" or just above, both about 190 - 195, one ran a 4.59 40 and the other a 4.52.

Neither seems spectacular, but is one worth throwing a pick at? Or is the wide receiver room already too crowded with diaper dandies?

bobblehead
07-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Tom Brady made a career out of doing things opposite of Rodgers. He always looked for the short completion first and progressed to deep routes if it wasn't there.

MadScientist
07-06-2023, 11:05 AM
This is about all I can find on it:
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-supplemental-draft-officially-set-for-july-11-with-two-players-eligible
If the Packers are concerned about the health of DuBose, a 7th for Wright might be reasonable, but otherwise pass. Neither played much last season, or would have tested to get a RAS score, so even a 7th is pretty high for them.

run pMc
07-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Neither seems spectacular, but is one worth throwing a pick at? Or is the wide receiver room already too crowded with diaper dandies?

I doubt they would pick either. If they did, it would signal there are concerns with the receivers they already have. Would also mean a draft pick was likely getting cut.

They have a lot of young unproven talent, might as well ride with it and see where it goes.
Dubose might not make the team if Malik Heath and Bo Melton have anything to say about it.

Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Melton, Heath, Jeff Cotton, Duece Watts, Jakadis Bonds on the roster now. They're gonna keep 6.
Now if there was a standout safety in the supp draft... ;)

Fritz
07-17-2023, 01:22 PM
I think the wide receiver group is going to be good, but they're so damn young that this is going to be a learning season for everyone. Things will shake out, and by next season we'll have a handle on the pecking order and some sense of how good the Watson/Doubs/Toure trio actually is, and some idea of this year's rookie group as well - not as much, but some.

jklowan
07-18-2023, 02:44 PM
The Packers signed Alex McGough (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoAl00.htm) to backup first-year starter Jordan Love (https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-aaron-jones/) in 2023 after a team workout on Tuesday, July 18, according to Bill Huber of FanNation’s Packer Central (https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/transactions/packers-sign-another-quarterback).

MadScientist
07-18-2023, 10:38 PM
The Packers signed Alex McGough (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McGoAl00.htm) to backup first-year starter Jordan Love (https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-aaron-jones/) in 2023 after a team workout on Tuesday, July 18, according to Bill Huber of FanNation’s Packer Central (https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/transactions/packers-sign-another-quarterback).

Well to compete for a backup position anyway. Either they don't like what they've seen from Clifford, or they think he's an upgrade from Etling for the practice squad QB spot.

This probably means they won't play Love in the preseason much, if at all.

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2023, 12:17 AM
or they just need a practice arm to take up some of the throws in drills

jklowan
07-19-2023, 12:51 PM
Looks like they Jets will be releasing D Mims, could that be our Vet signing

Joemailman
07-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Looks like they Jets will be releasing D Mims, could that be our Vet signing

Not sure they're really looking for a WR, after drafting 6 the last 2 years. He does have the kind of size/speed Packers look for. After a decent rookie season in 2020, hasn't done much though.

jklowan
07-19-2023, 02:02 PM
I'd really like to see the Packers sign John Johnson at safety and I wouldn't hate a vet WR

run pMc
07-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Mims has talent, but no production. 11 receptions last year. 42 rec for his 3 year career. Move along.

I'd rather give the snaps to Dontayvion Wicks than Mims, I'm better Gute would too.
GB is going to roll with the youngsters this year and make decisions/take action in early 2024.

They don't really have much cap space to kick tires on guys and keep enough cap space for emergency signings.

run pMc
07-19-2023, 04:57 PM
I'd really like to see the Packers sign John Johnson at safety and I wouldn't hate a vet WR

I was a 'sign John Johnson' guy too, he was good in the Staley/Fangio defense for the LAR. I believe he's still unsigned, so he's either holding out for money or has some kind of medical scaring off teams.
At this point I'm skeptical they will bring in another safety or WR, they are full up with bodies at both positions and I think will let the competition next week in camp sort out the roster.

You have to think a few players will emerge out of Savage, Ford, Owens, Moore, Johnson at S and Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Heath etc. at WR.

Joemailman
07-19-2023, 09:50 PM
Mims, if released, will go on waivers.

Edit: Jets are trading Mims to the Lions.

NewsBruin
07-20-2023, 09:13 AM
Mims had a lot of traits and talent at Baylor and was our #1 WR as a starter. He got a hamstring injury as a rookie (like Christian Watson) and was in Coach Saleh's doghouse for a while. Some guys have all the playmaking chops in college and just don't grow up or pick up the nuances in the pros. He also got into some press spats about his role on the Jets, which is par for the course with the NY sports media.

I hope he does all right. He's not young enough to be a rookie; not old or experienced enough to be a veteran, and not worth his draft slot so far. I hope he hasn't become complacent after watching other talent get on the gameday 52 over him. Maybe a second team and a good coaching relationship will get him to put up some keeper numbers.

run pMc
07-20-2023, 12:08 PM
Lions give up a R6, get back a R7 if Mims makes the 53, else they give up nothing. Not bad.

call_me_ishmael
07-20-2023, 01:08 PM
I was watching some highlights of the infamous Cowboys game when Rodgers came in.

Is it just me, or are football players way smaller now? Even Rodgers looks a lot smaller. Is it just the size of the pads that shrunk, or did the players themselves shrink?

Joemailman
07-20-2023, 01:50 PM
I was watching some highlights of the infamous Cowboys game when Rodgers came in.

Is it just me, or are football players way smaller now? Even Rodgers looks a lot smaller. Is it just the size of the pads that shrunk, or did the players themselves shrink?

Pads have gotten smaller. But I also think IDL and LB's have gotten smaller. IDL's because they need enough quickness to rush the passer, LB's because they need enough quickness for pass coverage.

MadScientist
07-21-2023, 03:12 AM
Vikings drafted a really fast player in the first round:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083391-vikings-jordan-addison-cited-allegedly-drove-lamborghini-140-mph-in-55-mph-zone?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Fritz
07-21-2023, 07:46 AM
Vikings drafted a really fast player in the first round:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083391-vikings-jordan-addison-cited-allegedly-drove-lamborghini-140-mph-in-55-mph-zone?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I see in the article that Addison also missed the majority of their pre-training camp activities because he was "dealing with an injury." Not an auspicious start for your first-round pick. As a Packers fan, ya gotta love it.

NewsBruin
07-21-2023, 09:01 AM
Pads have gotten smaller. But I also think IDL and LB's have gotten smaller. IDL's because they need enough quickness to rush the passer, LB's because they need enough quickness for pass coverage.

I think the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys popularized the concept of "take a linebacker. make him a fast DL. Take a safety; make him a fast linebacker." A little after that era, there was a trend to "take a slow TE; make him a left tackle." On the other hand, I think WRs have become beefier and height gets recruited more in college than it used to be.

I rewatched the '98 Baylor/ND (https://youtu.be/FYfAqHYt5zs) game recently, and while I couldn't find myself in any shots, I was amazed that we still had mesh jerseys and Singletary-sized shoulder pads. Everyone looked like little tanks.

run pMc
07-21-2023, 12:28 PM
I see in the article that Addison also missed the majority of their pre-training camp activities because he was "dealing with an injury." Not an auspicious start for your first-round pick. As a Packers fan, ya gotta love it.

Not a great way to start out as a rookie; teams hold their breath in July that the news wire stays quiet regarding their players.
I thought it was funny how people would say Addison is as fast (on a football field) as Lukas Van Ness, only 80 pounds lighter.

Seriously, Addison was a great college receiver, and can run routes, but he's pretty small for a NFL WR. I wonder how he'll handle press coverage or a hard hit over the middle from a safety that outweighs him by 25 pounds.
If Barry were smart (which he isn't) he could have Jaire press Jefferson and Rasul press Addison and you might see both WRs throwing their helmets in frustration.

Fritz
07-22-2023, 11:54 AM
I wonder how Addison will handle press coverage when they start asking him about his driving habits.

run pMc
08-25-2023, 02:25 PM
Isaiah Simmons traded to NYG for a 2024 R7 pick. What is Arizona doing?

Oh, and Denzel Mims got waived.

bobblehead
08-28-2023, 10:36 AM
Not a great way to start out as a rookie; teams hold their breath in July that the news wire stays quiet regarding their players.
I thought it was funny how people would say Addison is as fast (on a football field) as Lukas Van Ness, only 80 pounds lighter.

Seriously, Addison was a great college receiver, and can run routes, but he's pretty small for a NFL WR. I wonder how he'll handle press coverage or a hard hit over the middle from a safety that outweighs him by 25 pounds.
If Barry were smart (which he isn't) he could have Jaire press Jefferson and Rasul press Addison and you might see both WRs throwing their helmets in frustration.

Jefferson would ragdoll Jaire and run free. Douglas might have a shot at pressing him. Jaire has to use his speed. Jefferson is a solid 6-1". No one man can cover him iso. You just have to accept that.

run pMc
08-28-2023, 11:23 AM
Jefferson would ragdoll Jaire and run free. Douglas might have a shot at pressing him. Jaire has to use his speed. Jefferson is a solid 6-1". No one man can cover him iso. You just have to accept that.

Generally I'd agree, except Jaire was the one shocking Jefferson with jabs and two handed shoves at the line in their last game. I think Jefferson is bigger but IDK if he's necessary more physical.
Jefferson is the best WR in the league right now, you have to make the QB look elsewhere to throw...agree that probably means changing up the coverages to keep them guessing and I'm not sure Barry is that clever.

run pMc
09-04-2023, 05:10 PM
What are the Vikings doing? It's Cousins last year, he has void money on the books in 2024, when Jefferson will be on his fifth-year option trying to cash in big (he will). With that, they give Hockenson elite TE money and you could argue he's barely in the top 10. Detroit was happy to give him away, and he had some injuries so you have to wonder.
They also gave Danielle Hunter a big pay bump just for this year. Not sure about their supposedly analytics-econ genius GM.

Next year they could have a nobody QB throwing to JJ, it would be like Spurgeon Wynn throwing incompletions to Cris Carter and Randy Moss all over again.

I'm tempted to be really critical because they're a NFCN rival, but I really don't understand their direction.

Fritz
09-04-2023, 05:16 PM
Do they have a rookie backup QB they like?

Joemailman
09-04-2023, 06:14 PM
Do they have a rookie backup QB they like?

I gotta think their plan is to bring Cousins back. They didn't draft a QB last year until the 5th round, and there won't be much in free agency. Cousins and Tannehill are about it.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2023, 09:52 PM
What are the Vikings doing? It's Cousins last year, he has void money on the books in 2024, when Jefferson will be on his fifth-year option trying to cash in big (he will). With that, they give Hockenson elite TE money and you could argue he's barely in the top 10. Detroit was happy to give him away, and he had some injuries so you have to wonder.
They also gave Danielle Hunter a big pay bump just for this year. Not sure about their supposedly analytics-econ genius GM.

Next year they could have a nobody QB throwing to JJ, it would be like Spurgeon Wynn throwing incompletions to Cris Carter and Randy Moss all over again.

I'm tempted to be really critical because they're a NFCN rival, but I really don't understand their direction.

In their own way, the Vikings still suck just like the Bears. They had one of the top RBs in the league, and they just shitted him away, that after paying big money for mediocre Cousins. Didn't they lose "whatshisface" - that other pretty good WR too?

The Packers are fortunate to be in a division with loser mentalities like that along with perennial losers like the Lions and of course that team that still sucks.

RashanGary
09-05-2023, 07:59 AM
In their own way, the Vikings still suck just like the Bears. They had one of the top RBs in the league, and they just shitted him away, that after paying big money for mediocre Cousins. Didn't they lose "whatshisface" - that other pretty good WR too?

The Packers are fortunate to be in a division with loser mentalities like that along with perennial losers like the Lions and of course that team that still sucks.

We gave up Rodgers. I thought we were the loser mentality team.

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2023, 08:35 AM
Was there a choice? If the reports were true, he WANTED to go. Loser mentality teams tear down to rebuild. Intelligently run teams rebuild on the fly.

RashanGary
09-05-2023, 08:56 AM
I guess Aaron Jones bought a 7M mansion in Miami from rapper lil pump. Jones doesn’t make that much money. Kinda stupid.

Joemailman
09-05-2023, 09:59 AM
I guess Aaron Jones bought a 7M mansion in Miami from rapper lil pump. Jones doesn’t make that much money. Kinda stupid.

You think a mansion in Miami is going to go down in value? Jones didn't make a ton of money his 1st 4 years being a 5th round pick. He makes pretty good money now though.

Fritz
09-05-2023, 10:27 AM
You think a mansion in Miami is going to go down in value? Jones didn't make a ton of money his 1st 4 years being a 5th round pick. He makes pretty good money now though.

MORTGAGE OFFICER: "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, but I'm afraid you don't qualify for a loan of this magnitude. Your income is not sufficient. And I read the Packers are probably going to cut you after this season, what with the salary cap stuff."

run pMc
09-05-2023, 12:49 PM
MORTGAGE OFFICER: "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, but I'm afraid you don't qualify for a loan of this magnitude. Your income is not sufficient. And I read the Packers are probably going to cut you after this season, what with the salary cap stuff."

LOL yeah, that house is not losing value unless they trash it.
As for Jones's cashflow, recall that in February the team converted $8.52M of salary & roster bonus into signing bonus, so he had 8.5M burning a hole in his pocket. He's fine.

Given his cap hit and Bakhtiari's, which would you rather carry into the 2024 season?

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2023, 03:29 PM
Somebody should make a poll of that question hahahahahaha.

Fritz
09-06-2023, 06:50 AM
Bakh seems so fragile now. They rest him an awful lot, so I wonder if he'll really even get through the season at all. Hope Nijman's ready to step in and show the NFL he's the real deal. Playing for a contract, Yoshie!

call_me_ishmael
09-06-2023, 09:28 AM
I don't think Chad Clifton ever practiced either. Bak is gonna be fine and I predict he starts 15 games and is rock solid.

Joemailman
09-06-2023, 10:15 AM
I don't think Chad Clifton ever practiced either. Bak is gonna be fine and I predict he starts 15 games and is rock solid.

Pretty sure Josh Sitton went through the same thing late in his career. Guys like Bakhtiari can pass block in their sleep. As long as he can maintain his conditioning, he'll be fine.

MadScientist
09-06-2023, 10:45 AM
Ken Reuttgers as well. He mastered the art of having a contract dispute until training camp ended.