PDA

View Full Version : What do you want FB to do with AROD in 2023---AND some thoughts

Pages : 1 [2]

Bretsky
02-05-2023, 10:59 AM
At this point, it sounds like what they "need to do" is to re-sign at least a couple of the guys on Aaron Rodgers's list and bring Bakh back, which I think they intend to do anyway.

Ah, let's just trade the dude.

We tried SHARON as our Assistant GM last year

I'm at the staget of who our QB is should have no impact on which of these we sign. So assume Jordan Love is our QB; and then make your calls

run pMc
02-05-2023, 11:57 AM
Any poll about AR playing should only be 0, 1, or 2 years. He won’t last any longer than that.

This

run pMc
02-05-2023, 12:13 PM
You may be right. Elway, like Manning, got his ring toward the end of his career. Though as I recall, Joe Montana felt like he got pushed out of SF and there was some bad blood. And I think his last year or so in KC, he'd lost what little arm strength he had.

Personally, Brady didn't scare me those last couple of years. Even in the NFCCG, he was just a good game manager - he knew to pick on Kevin King there, but Brady didn't carry that team. He went along for the ride.

Steve Young I don't remember how that went for him. But I do recall - and this was sad - a broken-down Joe Namath still trying to play, long after he'd lost his athleticism, primarily due to that knee injury in a preseason game against Detroit.

I do think though that as QB's age (and they can play longer than players at most positions), they begin to feel isolated due in large part to their age.

I remember Namath one-hopping balls to receivers on out routes at the end of his career.
Brady's issue wasn't his arm strength, he definitely was more of a game manager after a while and rode a ferocious defense to the Super Bowl. This year the Bucs had injuries all over their OL which is danger danger to a non-mobile QB like him. It also hurt the running game and Fournette didn't play great anyway, so they were left with a lot of 3rd and 9's that are tough to regularly convert. I don't think you want him as your starter, and he's retired anyway.
Manning also rode the coattails of a good DEN defense. Von Miller was a beast.
Elway was a game manager who had a HOF TE and RB carrying the offense along with some good WRs. (Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey)

Steve Young retired with a little left in the tank because of concussions, but you couldn't count on his staying healthy anymore. Good for him retiring to preserve what remained of his health. Aikman did the same.

Whether they feel isolated or not, I get why they want some of their guys around. (You probably associate with more work colleagues of your own age than those considerably younger than you.)
I don't think that means he gets to play GM.

As players age they lose athleticism, and also become more likely to get hurt, heal more slowly, etc. Starting a 40 year old QB and expecting them to play 17+ games against 25 year old 300 pound men who want to bury him under the turf has risks. Paying them $50M to play like average starter is madness.

Bretsky
02-05-2023, 12:20 PM
I think we need a poll about how good or bad Rodgers is gonna play next year and/or 2, 3, 4, or 5 years from now.

I'll create a poll but would need more specifics.

Is the Poll how many more years he will play, or quality of play ? That would be hard to do up

I think he'll be greatly improved from this year. When we kept Joe Barry .......I just don't think we win a SB so I'm fine seeing him traded

Fritz
02-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Since it's a slow news time of year for football, let's "unpack" the Rodgers comments at that golf tournament:

- On his not being traded to San Fran - the obvious answer is that Packer brass has told him already that IF they trade him, it will NOT be to an NFC team. Another possibility is that Rodgers has some weird animus toward Shanahan or Lynch or someone up high, and he doesn't want to go there. Or a third possibility is that San Fran has already made it clear to Rodgers/Green Bay that they're not interested.

On Raiders fans clamoring for him - the obvious answer is that he enjoys teasing out his possible retirement/landing place, and so he's just teasing because he enjoys it. Another possibility is that He really wouldn't mind playing in Vegas. A third possibility is that he's "just" commenting on how loud certain fan bases are.

bobblehead
02-05-2023, 02:48 PM
People have bad memories that tend to fit their preconceived narrative. In 2021 (after he "went along for the ride") Brady tossed for 5300 yards and 43 TDs. Montana made the AFCC with KC after he left SF. Of course all of them got old eventually. As will Rodgers.

Personally I think he can be near MVP if his heart is in it. I just think that time in his life has passed. A trade may invigorate him for a season ala Favre, but thats about it.

bobblehead
02-05-2023, 02:55 PM

Is the Poll how many more years he will play, or quality of play ? That would be hard to do up

I think he'll be greatly improved from this year. When we kept Joe Barry .......I just don't think we win a SB so I'm fine seeing him traded
Here is my opinion for what its worth. If we trade him he has a really good year with a chip on his shoulder. If we keep him we get 2 solid years and he retires right as we lose Love.

He can be decent for many years should he choose to play. He doesn't have the desire to be great anymore and only a "disrespectful" trade will bring out his best. After that he will regress to "decent" again and then retire.

Joemailman
02-05-2023, 03:42 PM
Oh sure. NOW he comes through in a big game. https://twitter.com/i/status/1622324857282109440

QBME
02-05-2023, 03:51 PM
Oh sure. NOW he comes through in a big game. https://twitter.com/i/status/1622324857282109440

Fer cryin out loud
I thought I had the scoop for once
Ach....

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2023, 05:26 PM
People have bad memories that tend to fit their preconceived narrative. In 2021 (after he "went along for the ride") Brady tossed for 5300 yards and 43 TDs. Montana made the AFCC with KC after he left SF. Of course all of them got old eventually. As will Rodgers.

Personally I think he can be near MVP if his heart is in it. I just think that time in his life has passed. A trade may invigorate him for a season ala Favre, but thats about it.

A lot of truth here. Why wouldn't his heart be in it? Literally nothing past, present, or future has indicated that. Your "that time in his life has passed" is kinda contradictory with what you just said a line earlier. The greatest of all the great things about Rodgers is his tendency to avoid interceptions. That is a mostly mental thing, not physical. Admittedly, he had a bad season mostly due to his thumb injury, but when he was generally healthy, he avoided picks as good as ever.

A trade simply isn't gonna happen. I have no doubt that Rodgers would still be very effective if he was traded, but it just ain't gonna happen - and that high probability of effectiveness is yet another factor in why he won't be traded, the biggest factor being the contract.

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2023, 05:35 PM

I don't know how hard it is to make a poll, but maybe make about three of them, placating those poor misguided (I'm trying to avoid saying shitheads and haters, so whatever they would be called hahahaha) who think any more than 1 or maybe 2 is too much: "Will Rodgers play at a near MVP level for the Packers in 2023?" for one of them. "Will Rodgers play at a near MVP level for the Packers for two more seasons?" for the second. And "Will Rodgers play at a near MVP level for the Packers for 3 or more seasons?" Probably no more than a handful like me would say yes for the third one, but that would still only take him to within a year or two of Brady in '21.

call_me_ishmael
02-05-2023, 07:01 PM
Here is my opinion for what its worth. If we trade him he has a really good year with a chip on his shoulder. If we keep him we get 2 solid years and he retires right as we lose Love.

He can be decent for many years should he choose to play. He doesn't have the desire to be great anymore and only a "disrespectful" trade will bring out his best. After that he will regress to "decent" again and then retire.

You just know he’s getting a fifth MVP if traded. I have zero doubts. That’s why I kinda hope they make him think he’s guilty dealt then don’t. The work will have already been put in. I have no doubt he’s busting ass on leg day already.

Bretsky
02-05-2023, 07:56 PM
ISN"T THE REAL QUESTION THE FOLLOWING ?

IF we bring AROD back, under the current leadership and personnell, will GB win a Super Bowl ?

To me, that question answers whether you bring AROD back, doesn't it ?

bobblehead
02-05-2023, 08:13 PM
You just know he’s getting a fifth MVP if traded. I have zero doubts. That’s why I kinda hope they make him think he’s guilty dealt then don’t. The work will have already been put in. I have no doubt he’s busting ass on leg day already.

Good.....cuz anything conditional would then become reality. Go Jets. Get that MVP.

Joemailman
02-05-2023, 08:16 PM

IF we bring AROD back, under the current leadership and personnell, will GB win a Super Bowl ?

I think it does. Packers are 2-4 in the playoffs in the years Rodgers wins MVP. Who cares about another MVP award?

Joemailman
02-05-2023, 11:22 PM
Didn't you always know it would come to this?

Nathan Plitzuweit
@GBPlitz

Feb 4
Well we know how Aaron will be celebrating the 12th anniversary of Super Bowl XLV.

Just in case you’re looking for something to do Monday.

https://debrasilvermanastrology.lpages.co/fall-in-love-with-yourself/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoKIzYOWQAERefC?format=jpg&name=small

call_me_ishmael
02-05-2023, 11:29 PM

Meh, I don't necessarily think it does. They're not gonna win a super bowl either way. The roster isn't that good and they have no money to improve. If they're gonna be mediocre at best and don't view Love as the guy long term, then what's the point of moving on now versus either A) trying to groom a QB again for a few years down the road, or B) tanking post Rodgers and drafting one high.

Joemailman
02-05-2023, 11:57 PM
Meh, I don't necessarily think it does. They're not gonna win a super bowl either way. The roster isn't that good and they have no money to improve. If they're gonna be mediocre at best and don't view Love as the guy long term, then what's the point of moving on now versus either A) trying to groom a QB again for a few years down the road, or B) tanking post Rodgers and drafting one high.

They're not going to find out if Love is the guy long term if they keep bringing Rodgers back. The Packers have learned as much about Love as they're going to learn by watching him in practice. He needs to play some meaningful games for them to determine if he's the guy. I guess you want to keep bringing Rodgers back because you figure winning 10 games is better than 8. That doesn't do much for me.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-06-2023, 05:54 AM
They're not going to find out if Love is the guy long term if they keep bringing Rodgers back. The Packers have learned as much about Love as they're going to learn by watching him in practice. He needs to play some meaningful games for them to determine if he's the guy. I guess you want to keep bringing Rodgers back because you figure winning 10 games is better than 8. That doesn't do much for me.

I agree, the actual time to trade him was last year, but that is water under the dam. Arod had a good run, I wish it would have resulted in more SBs, but that also is water under the dam. We need to start thinking about how to get to NEXT SB.

Trade his ass..

run pMc
02-06-2023, 09:14 AM

Agree with most of this, although I would point out that Brady threw the ball 719 times to get those 5300 yards. GB's offense operates at one of the slowest paces in the league and they executed 1072 plays that season. There's no way Rodgers and his tendency to take the play clock to the last second will ever throw the ball close to 700 times in a year. They waste so many timeouts trying to get the play off now.

Brady threw over 700 times in his last two years.

A trade would definitely invigorate him. I also think if the OL has better health and they keep Hanson away from the lineup that will help Rodgers, as will a functioning thumb. I 100% agree his MVP days are over unless he makes major changes to his game, and he's a stubborn dude so I don't see it happening.

run pMc
02-06-2023, 11:49 AM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35532896/nfl-quarterback-contract-bargain-salary-best-worst

Only DeShaun was worse value according to ESPN. Take that for what it's worth.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2023, 12:14 PM

Don't you think they already have a pretty good idea? I guess we're gonna find out :)

IIRC TT extended Rodgers like 3 or 4 games into his tenure, so I think he had a very good idea from the jump he was gonna be the next guy. IIRC It was like 6 years, 66M or something. My how contracts have changed!

Joemailman
02-06-2023, 02:04 PM
Don't you think they already have a pretty good idea? I guess we're gonna find out :)

IIRC TT extended Rodgers like 3 or 4 games into his tenure, so I think he had a very good idea from the jump he was gonna be the next guy. IIRC It was like 6 years, 66M or something. My how contracts have changed!

His extension was following the 7th game of the 2008 season. He had just outplayed Peyton Manning as the Packers beat the Colts 34-14. I guess they figured that was good enough.

Harlan Huckleby
02-06-2023, 11:02 PM
This analysis makes it sound like the packers butt-fucked themselves pretty badly:
NFL offseason predictions, from Aaron Rodgers to Derek Carr (https://theathletic.com/4157315/2023/02/06/nfl-predictions-offseason-quarterback-moves/)

I don't know how much of this is hindsight. Many people thought the Packers has a Superbowl ready team going into this past season.

Teamcheez1
02-07-2023, 07:07 AM
Draftkings now has an implied probability of 81.8% of AR ending up with the Raiders.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/theres-a-new-favorite-in-rodgers-next-team-odds-and-its-not-packers

Fritz
02-07-2023, 07:22 AM
This analysis makes it sound like the packers butt-fucked themselves pretty badly:
NFL offseason predictions, from Aaron Rodgers to Derek Carr (https://theathletic.com/4157315/2023/02/06/nfl-predictions-offseason-quarterback-moves/)

I don't know how much of this is hindsight. Many people thought the Packers has a Superbowl ready team going into this past season.

Well, if you are able to butt-fuck yourself, then clearly you have hindsight.

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 09:39 AM
nm

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Super Bowl be damned. Playoffs be damned. What counts is having the thrill of victory 13, 14, or 15 times in the regular season with the agony of defeat only low single digits. I'm fairly sure Rodgers will give the Packers that for a few more years anyway - with current leadership and personnel. And with a little bit of luck, those hung up on the Super Bowl will get that too.

Few things in sports are more STUPID than tearing down to rebuild. This is pretty much a separate thing than the Rodgers thing, but thankfully, the Packers (and other Wisconsin sports teams) have never been that damn STUPID. Hopefully they won't start now.

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Draftkings now has an implied probability of 81.8% of AR ending up with the Raiders.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/theres-a-new-favorite-in-rodgers-next-team-odds-and-its-not-packers

Does that mean you can bet against it with 4:1 odds? I'll absolutely tak that bet.

call_me_ishmael
02-07-2023, 02:32 PM
The whole "The Raiders are going to trade Darren Waller for Rodgers and a first" is a dumb narrative. No they're not. Packers are gonna rebuild and want picks, Raiders are going towards win now mode and want weapons. Thus, they would trade picks only. Imagine the kick in the pants for Rod when the Packers draft an OT and a WR in R1 this year, LOL.

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 07:04 PM
The whole "The Raiders are going to trade Darren Waller for Rodgers and a first" is a dumb narrative. No they're not. Packers are gonna rebuild and want picks, Raiders are going towards win now mode and want weapons. Thus, they would trade picks only. Imagine the kick in the pants for Rod when the Packers draft an OT and a WR in R1 this year, LOL.

I agree they won't want to trade for Waller, but not because they see themselves as in a rebuilding mode. They are over the cap and won't want to trade for an injury prone guy who has a big base salary. The way to get out from under the salary cap is through the draft, not trading for high-salaried guys.

RashanGary
02-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Aaron Rodgers going full hippy is great.

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 08:37 PM
It's not that odd really. 4 nights of darkness is certainly different, but lots of people go on retreats by themselves in search of guidance, spiritual or otherwise.

George Cumby
02-07-2023, 08:53 PM
It's not that odd really. 4 nights of darkness is certainly different, but lots of people go on retreats by themselves in search of guidance, spiritual or otherwise.

Those traditions transcend cultural boundaries and are as old as human culture.

run pMc
02-08-2023, 08:39 AM
I agree they won't want to trade for Waller, but not because they see themselves as in a rebuilding mode. They are over the cap and won't want to trade for an injury prone guy who has a big base salary. The way to get out from under the salary cap is through the draft, not trading for high-salaried guys.

I think it was Andy Herman saying something like a swap of 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and Elijah Moore and Denzel Mims for Rodgers and Savage to the NYJ.
I could see a mix of players and picks, or picks that are conditional on how Rodgers performs as well as how many seasons. Few teams will be desperate enough to want to pay a QB $60M for one season, especially if it's mediocre. Any players that would come back would have to be on cheap contracts, i.e., rookie contracts for players who aren't good fits for current team's scheme or who just want out.

i could also see them move Bakh for a conditional pick based on # of games played, etc., if they chose to move on or if he requested a trade with Rodgers. As it is, you save $6M by trading/cutting him but for a quality LT I think that's not good enough. Next offseason the cap savings is higher I think, he's probably done here by then.

call_me_ishmael
02-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Why would they trade an all-world tackle? He's only 32, he has many more years left.

run pMc
02-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Why would they trade an all-world tackle? He's only 32, he has many more years left.

I don't think they want to, or that they will. Was just thinking if he requested a trade they could make it happen and free up cap space, but I agree you don't give away a top tier LT with gas in the tank.

Fritz
02-08-2023, 10:54 AM
I don't know when free agency starts, but imagine the talk if one of the teams supposedly interested in Rodgers ups and signs, say, Mercedes Lewis and Randall Cobb, or Bobby Tonyan and Alan Lazard, or some combination thereof.

Joemailman
02-08-2023, 11:43 AM
I don't know when free agency starts, but imagine the talk if one of the teams supposedly interested in Rodgers ups and signs, say, Mercedes Lewis and Randall Cobb, or Bobby Tonyan and Alan Lazard, or some combination thereof.

3:00 CST March 15. Negotiations can begin March 13. Rodgers should be out of the dark by then.

run pMc
02-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Rodgers has said he'll have an answer for the team about whether he's coming back or not by then.
I'm 99.9% sure he's coming back.

Nothing will happen before the combine, but you can bet there will be discussions happening that week.

bobblehead
02-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Those traditions transcend cultural boundaries and are as old as human culture.

Just last week i went 36 hours in a pahrump....ummm....business without eating or drinking.

Sparkey
02-08-2023, 04:13 PM
Just last week i went 36 hours in a pahrump....ummm....business without eating or drinking.

Did you enter using the doors to the left or to the right ?

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Anybody think Rodgers would ever make this throw to Jennings in the past 5-6 years? I do not. He doesn't throw into traffic over the middle like this any more - at least that's what I perceive.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1622688086407917570

Greg Jennings is a criminally underrated receiver. Shined very bright for a few years.

texaspackerbacker
02-10-2023, 12:40 PM

Yes ........ and that team is .................. The Green Bay Packers. (OBVIOUSLY!)

CMI, throwing over the middle into traffic is a recipe for disaster. We should all be thankful that Rodgers very seldom ever did.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-10-2023, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, what to do with Rodgers?

TRADE HIS ASS...

run pMc
02-10-2023, 02:55 PM
I think there's more risk of a throw getting poached by a defender - or at least requires a QB to read the field better -- in the middle of the field. I'd argue that two of the best throws I've ever seen Rodgers make were down the middle, and he didn't shy away from the middle of the field earlier in his career. I wonder if he eschews it because he likes to go for the hero ball throws, or if he's worried about his TD-to-Int legacy? He is far and away the leader in lowest Int% and he's mentioned it as a point of pride to the media.

There's another consideration: if they had a more dynamic slot receiver and/or TE he might throw there more. Finley, Driver, and Jennings caught a lot of throws in the MoF in that 2009-2011 era.

It's cherry picking, but Love hitting Watson in stride in the middle of the field vs. Philly was a throw Rodgers could easily make and never does. I think avoiding the MoF that much can limit your offense, particularly since many LBs suck in coverage.

bobblehead
02-10-2023, 08:12 PM
Did you enter using the doors to the left or to the right ?

I was totally wasted....think I got it right....God I hope I got it right.