PDA

View Full Version : What do you want FB to do with AROD in 2023---AND some thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Bretsky
01-18-2023, 11:31 PM
Listed to the full Gutebag interview several times, and the complete Rodgers Rant with his TOOL....the G'd Dam Know Nothing Media Guy......and OMG here are some obvious thoughts

Guters clearly wants the drama to go away. He wants AROD to take his time, and let him know if he's all in or not. And if he comes back all in he wants his QB to be a leader and be there for his team at the OTA. He no longer wants Rodgers as the Assistant GM.

Rodgers, OMG strikes back hard. It was obvious to anybody paying attention he stirred up a lot of shit last year and was a real d'ckbag on this journey back onto the Packer roster. But those who close there eyes could still deny it all happened because AROD hid behind everything and never really make his views public.

Yesterday, by using the Dam Media as his tool, he came out swinging back. It's obvious he wants love from Guters and he wants all his needs met. Those include turning back the clock and bringing back his elderly friends (Cobb/Lewis/Lazar/Tonya.etc) AND going out and getting more weapons....despite the Cap..............AND.........he verbally floated out that he can play at an MVP level, whether it's for GB, or another team, AND then floated out the trade idea.

Not even Favre went to this level. Rodgers is all in playing football (and I truly believe he's back to GB next year), but he's not all in for Gute doing what's in the best interests of the team....unless it suits him

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyy you ask ? The answer is staring you in the face. Wilde, Tauscher, and others called the obvious. LAST week was the player meeting, and the Captain Obvious answer is Gutey told Sharon some stuff he didn't wanna hear.

Let's face it, we need to show Cobb the Door or make him a coach. And Lewis can go as well.
Perhaps Tonyan comes in cheap and I don't have a view on Bach.

Since the player meetings did not go well, Aaron become SHARON and decided to use his tool as his platform to attempt to get his way again. We knew this was coming a few weeks back when he floated out the idea that he wants to see what GB would want to do at season end by again using the media. That was a sign of what was to come.

If Gutebag plays his cards right he should come out smelling like a rose on this one and Aaron turning Sharon knows that so he's trying some manipulation here. Just come out and announce he's going to make the moves in the best long term interests of the Green Bay Packers, and he appreciates everything Rodgers has done and they hope he commits to come back.

And then Dump Cobb and Lewis and do what's best for the team.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, after hearing Rodgers would be open to a trade, WHERE is your Mindset at ?

What should GB do with Aaron Favre.....I mean Sharon Rodgers......aka...Aaron Rodgers

Bretsky
01-18-2023, 11:39 PM
I'll add this; GB has the leverage here. Rodgers is going to play next year, for sure......somewhere, probably with Green Bay And I'm ok with that. I'm also OK with GB making a splash to get another weapon. Perhaps you sign Giesecki if you like his upside, perhaps you trade a 3rd round pick (I might be dreaming but since all our 3rd round picks suck we should trade them every year) for Waller. Or maybe another splash I don't know about.

But I don't want Gute to lose control, and sign the veterans with no upside, and I don't wanna sacrifice much of the future for the present anymore. And Flower boy needs to take back control of the team.

Don't think we're winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers soon. And I'll say another thing most in here thing; we're not winning a SB with Barry at DC either.

Another interesting offseason is ahead of us, thanks to our Drama Queen QB and his Dam Media Tool

Joemailman
01-18-2023, 11:42 PM
I think Gute should make the moves HE feels are best for the team, which means bringing back Bakhtiari, letting Cobb leave, maybe keep Lazard and Tonyan depending on their market value. Then see if Rodgers is interested. If he isn't, ask him if he wants a trade, or wants to retire.

Bretsky
01-18-2023, 11:54 PM
I think Gute should make the moves HE feels are best for the team, which means bringing back Bakhtiari, letting Cobb leave, maybe keep Lazard and Tonyan depending on their market value. Then see if Rodgers is interested. If he isn't, ask him if he wants a trade, or wants to retire.

BUT playing devils advocate, I think step 1 is getting a committment, a true committment, either way form Rodgers. That could effect what Gute does with some of the guys.

And my gut tells me Gute at bare minimum, has already told Rodgers in the end of season meeting that they are going to move on from some of the vets (implication is Cobb and Lewis at least and maybe more) AND that is why the reaction was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqirFUfB2Vg

MadtownPacker
01-19-2023, 12:01 AM
This poll is shit, worse trolling than the last poll you made when it comes to options. I wanted him traded before the interview.

Bretsky
01-19-2023, 12:21 AM
you wanted him traded long long ago. But sentiments change as well

Anti-Polar Bear
01-19-2023, 05:14 AM
McAfee is not a journalist. He’s a semi-pro comedian impersonating a late night talk show host. Like Tank Elf Duke, McAfee can be funny at times.

She who ain’t too fond of McAfee, his doink comedy, and his penchant for uttering the greatest German word of all time - fuck - should watch Disney+ instead.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-19-2023, 06:32 AM
Easy answer, trade him of course, but that ship has sailed..

red
01-19-2023, 08:29 AM
i think gronks is a god damn moron most of the time, but he made a great point about what erin said

why is he talking about getting back to an MVP level, when the goal SHOULD be getting another super bowl?

shows where is priorities are, its all about him

Fosco33
01-19-2023, 09:36 AM
i think gronks is a god damn moron most of the time, but he made a great point about what erin said

why is he talking about getting back to an MVP level, when the goal SHOULD be getting another super bowl?

shows where is priorities are, its all about him

Gronks incorrect as usual.

12 also said he only wants to come back to a situation where he thinks he can win a Super Bowl. Why can’t you want both? Gronks just picking on headline and you snapped up that same narrative. 12 is one of the most competitive players out there - of course he wants Rings. Jebus…

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2023, 09:53 AM
I think it's very clear they're moving towards a trade.

How can anyone listen to this and not think that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHrlfIlhvY

ThunderDan
01-19-2023, 10:35 AM
Gronks incorrect as usual.

12 also said he only wants to come back to a situation where he thinks he can win a Super Bowl. Why can’t you want both? Gronks just picking on headline and you snapped up that same narrative. 12 is one of the most competitive players out there - of course he wants Rings. Jebus…

I think the issue is he talked about winning the MVP before saying the team he plays on has to be capable of winning the Super Bowl. The statement was an all about "me" statement. Aaron is excellent at looking out for Aaron first. I don't blame him. He only has so many years that he can make this kind of money.

ThunderDan
01-19-2023, 10:39 AM
I am not sure how to vote on the poll.

On one hand, he gives us the best chance of winning next year and is a known entity. On the other hand, we can't afford to pay elite top dollar money for average QB play.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 10:55 AM
I am not sure how to vote on the poll.

On one hand, he gives us the best chance of winning next year and is a known entity. On the other hand, we can't afford to pay elite top dollar money for average QB play.

If he's offering you average QB play, what exactly does he give you the best chance of winning?

RashanGary
01-19-2023, 10:59 AM
It’s a mess. I voted to keep him. We have a chance to get some lucky growth and a great draft.

But I see trading too. He’s tradable. His contract hits are 31, 40, 59 and 53 (183 total or 46 per) We eat 40 of that so it’s 36 per to whoever takes him. That is absolutely tradable. The contract was looking like a cinder block around the ankle, but when you look at the trade option it’s much more flexible.

RashanGary
01-19-2023, 11:01 AM
They made a contract that made winning early possible if he stays as an option. Another option is he retires and we can handle the hit. And the third option is to trade him to a team who gets 36 per year deal.

Fritz
01-19-2023, 11:04 AM
I think it's very clear they're moving towards a trade.

How can anyone listen to this and not think that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHrlfIlhvY

First part of the presser I'd say yes, you are right. When somebody asked if they wanted Rodgers back, Gutes said something like "Yeah we want all our guys back." That seemed to indicate that maybe no. My sense from the first half of it was that they hope Rodgers wants to keep playing but that maybe they'd like it if he wanted to play for someone else, so they can trade him.

Second half, he seemed to back off that and came out more strongly in favor of Rodgers staying - that he still gives the team the best chance to win.

So hell, I don't know.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Good Poll, Bretsky. Good to get people on the record - for sanity and good sense or for stupidity and ingratitude.

George Cumby
01-19-2023, 11:37 AM
^ "Ingratitude". LOL.

What, pray tell, do I owe Karen Rodgers?

run pMc
01-19-2023, 11:47 AM
I think he could play better next year, but you're gambling on a lot of things going right, especially if you think he'll return to MVP form.
He's on the physical decline & more likely to get injured as he ages, and he's not seeing open receivers. If you can get your hands on All-22 film watch how often he's still choosing to go for a lower percentage "big play" vs. throwing to his open receivers and giving them a chance to do something. A lot of his greatness was with his accuracy and throws outside the pocket, his mobility and ability to do that has diminished. Not much upside to keeping an aging, expensive, middling QB unless you can pair it with a Championship caliber defense, and Joe Barry won't make that happen.

It's a roster with talent, but they've tried "running it back" for two years now and it hasn't worked. (Something something definition of insanity.) Some of that talent will have aged out or been cut for cap purposes.

Eat the $40M, trade him for a R1 swap and a R2 to a team like NYJ -- i.e., somewhere in the AFC that has enough talent where Rodgers feels he can do well. Start Jordan Love, see what you have in him running the MLF offense vs. what looks like a moribund MLF-McCarthy hybrid. If JLove sucks, you're in a position to draft top 10 in what should be another good QB class. They'll have cap space and a clean slate to move ahead. If JLove turns out to be top 15 QB level, you're probably as good as Rodgers was this year, possibly better...and can extend him.

I don't see much upside to bringing back some of his guys: Tonyan, Lazard, Cobb, Lewis, Crosby are what they are at this point. You might give up some consistency losing them, but replacing them with younger ,cheaper, more athletic players gives you a chance to improve vs. treading water with old guys on a middling team. That might also get him listening to a trade for greener pastures.

Love Rodgers the player and what he's done for GB, but it's time.

sharpe1027
01-19-2023, 11:58 AM
Trade him. I'm good if he stays, but I don't see them winning it all with this team and staff. Might as well get what you can now. Better to tradee a year early than a year late.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 12:01 PM
Trade Rodgers to the Jets. Rodgers plays 1 year with Jets and retires. Kirk Cousins is a free agent with void years in 2024. Vikings sign unretired Rodgers. Vikings lose in 2024 NFC Title Game. Packers win Super Bowl in 2025. Love is Super Bowl MVP. Rodgers retires for good. Appears in Wrangler commercials.

Might as well embrace it now.

sharpe1027
01-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Trade Rodgers to the Jets. Rodgers plays 1 year with Jets and retires. Kirk Cousins is a free agent with void years in 2024. Vikings sign unretired Rodgers. Vikings lose in 2024 NFC Title Game. Packers win Super Bowl in 2025. Love is Super Bowl MVP. Rodgers retires for good. Appears in Wrangler commercials.

Might as well embrace it now.

Only issue I have with this is I doubt Wrangler thinks Rodgers matches their target demographic.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Only issue I have with this is I doubt Wrangler thinks Rodgers matches their target demographic.

Yeah, Butte referred to himself as a hippie on the McAfee show. Favor’s a redneck.

Maybe Levi’s skinny jeans.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 12:35 PM
Andrew Brandt talking about the Rodgers situation among other things. Rodgers segment starts at 3:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHG5qwtFFE&t=933s

King Friday
01-19-2023, 12:51 PM
Trade, trade, trade…

The NFL proves time and time again that it usually is better to let a guy go a year too early than a year too late. Last year was the time to jettison Rodgers, and Gute did the right thing having Love in place. But he got too caught up in the drama.

It’s no different for me than the Crosby situation this year. I love Crosby, and he might have a little left in the tank, but it is time to pull the trigger and move on if you are the Packers. Football is a young man’s game. Brady is an outlier and then some.

George Cumby
01-19-2023, 12:59 PM
^ Yeah, Gute should've fleeced Denver last year.

Oh, well.

Fosco33
01-19-2023, 01:40 PM
I’d love to trade him, Bahk and Cobb to the Raiders for a boatload of cash/picks.

But I think and am fine if GB keeps him and trades Love for a 2nd or 3rd.

jklowan
01-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Not sure Rodgers goes to the Raiders, he'd be in the same situation as their defense stinks and giving up draft picks for a quarterback is not gonna help. I think that the Seahawks, Jets & maybe one of the Florida teams is our best bet as they seem to be flush with cash and assets to trade. I would love to see a 1st and second for AR and the 1st be in next years draft the 2nd this year. That way the team sending the pick isn't hurt to deeply this year and we have 2 1st's if Love craps the bed next year. I would also look at trading Bak as maybe some team will hope to benefit from his experience.

Fritz
01-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Not sure Rodgers goes to the Raiders, he'd be in the same situation as their defense stinks and giving up draft picks for a quarterback is not gonna help. I think that the Seahawks, Jets & maybe one of the Florida teams is our best bet as they seem to be flush with cash and assets to trade. I would love to see a 1st and second for AR and the 1st be in next years draft the 2nd this year. That way the team sending the pick isn't hurt to deeply this year and we have 2 1st's if Love craps the bed next year. I would also look at trading Bak as maybe some team will hope to benefit from his experience.

I'm no cap dude, though I do wear hats, but a couple of smarter posters here have suggested the only way a trade can realistically happen with Rodgers is if it's after June 1st. Something about the cap.

But the advantage is that a team like, say, the Raiders or Seahogs or whomever can keep this year's first, and get Rodgers. I'm just fine with not getting a pick until the 2024 draft. At this point, if they can dump Rodgers for a second rounder after June 1, I'm down with that.

Sparkey
01-19-2023, 04:45 PM
Interesting little tidbit here. Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for the JETS OC position .......

King Friday
01-19-2023, 04:48 PM
We would be fortunate to get a single 1st round pick for Rodgers at this point. That is why you should’ve traded him when his value was high last season.

Joemailman
01-19-2023, 05:32 PM
I'm no cap dude, though I do wear hats, but a couple of smarter posters here have suggested the only way a trade can realistically happen with Rodgers is if it's after June 1st. Something about the cap.

But the advantage is that a team like, say, the Raiders or Seahogs or whomever can keep this year's first, and get Rodgers. I'm just fine with not getting a pick until the 2024 draft. At this point, if they can dump Rodgers for a second rounder after June 1, I'm down with that.

If they trade Rodgers before June 1, the cap hit would be about 40 million. If they trade him after June 1 the cap hits would be about 16 million in 2023 and 24 million in 2024. I have heard some claim that they could agree to the trade before the draft, get the draft pick this year, with the stipulation that the transaction wouldn't become official until after June 1. Not sure if that's true or not.

Rastak
01-19-2023, 07:38 PM
If they trade Rodgers before June 1, the cap hit would be about 40 million. If they trade him after June 1 the cap hits would be about 16 million in 2023 and 24 million in 2024. I have heard some claim that they could agree to the trade before the draft, get the draft pick this year, with the stipulation that the transaction wouldn't become official until after June 1. Not sure if that's true or not.

If the transaction is only official after June 1st you get no pick because the trade hasn't happened yet on draft day.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2023, 08:22 PM
^ "Ingratitude". LOL.

What, pray tell, do I owe Karen Rodgers?

so you cop to "stupidity" but not being an "ingrate"? Ok, I guess that's a fair plea bargain hahahaha.

MadtownPacker
01-20-2023, 08:35 PM
so you cop to "stupidity" but not being an "ingrate"? Ok, I guess that's a fair plea bargain hahahaha.While not the sharpest tool in the shed it was quite creative, his use of Karen instead of Erin. Really makes sense in a lot of ways. :lol:

MadtownPacker
01-20-2023, 08:38 PM
I’d love to trade him, Bahk and Cobb to the Raiders for a boatload of cash/picks.

But I think and am fine if GB keeps him and trades Love for a 2nd or 3rd.
What happened to all that Rodgers is the bomb shit-talk you kept preaching about fucker?? :lol:

red
01-20-2023, 09:21 PM
i got a new idea

trade both rodgers and love

we've managed to piss away the first 3 years of loves career, he has just one more year on his cheap rookie deal, then he either gets the 5 year option picked up around 20 million or more, or he'll get paid starter money (if he's a starter). either way you lose the big advantage of drafting that 1st round

so trade them both and try and draft a new rookie QB either this draft or next

Fosco33
01-21-2023, 08:14 AM
What happened to all that Rodgers is the bomb shit-talk you kept preaching about fucker?? :lol:

I’ve been saying we should trade him for years. And I like AR both as a person and a QB. And whomever is slinging the rock for the Packers will get my support.
I’ve just said the amount of pissy whiners throwing him shade was nauseating.

bobblehead
01-21-2023, 01:02 PM

Except he isn't going to accept a trade to any of those teams. The best chances are SF if Purdy falls on his face tomorrow. LV if they are willing to give us anything.

Personally I would call the LV front office and try to get some 2024 picks for Rodgers. That way they can actually draft their QB of the future with their high pick this year and let him learn for 2 seasons. In the meantime they can capitalize on the roster they built to win now. Rodgers would be surrounded with weapons which would satisfy him. If you could get them to part with a couple picks for Bak that would be a bonus. This team needs to suffer the reset season right now. Work on a new kicker while the aspirations of an Owl are not high. Let the young talent improve into leaders. Stack up picks to continue to improve the roster. Anyone who is in their last 2 years needs to be traded or let walk. Anyone with limited upside needs to move on.

Rodgers, Bak, Jones, Crosby, Lazard, Preston, Amos. Move on from all of them. Trade if there is anything there, don't resign/cut where applicable. The lone exception would be that I would bring back Mercedes and draft 2 TEs this year. One early. Let them learn from a pros pro. Sure, we will be even worse than this year, but should be able to revamp and fix the cap quickly that way. This idea that we can take "one more shot" at it is a pipe dream. We tried that this season when I was saying the same thing last offseason. It didn't work as too many old guys played like old guys and too many young guys played central roles too soon.

bobblehead
01-21-2023, 01:03 PM

Teams can make agreements effective june 1, even if it involves picks this year. But personally I'd take better capital a year later given where the Packers roster/cap is at right now anyway.

bobblehead
01-21-2023, 01:06 PM
i got a new idea

trade both rodgers and love

we've managed to piss away the first 3 years of loves career, he has just one more year on his cheap rookie deal, then he either gets the 5 year option picked up around 20 million or more, or he'll get paid starter money (if he's a starter). either way you lose the big advantage of drafting that 1st round

so trade them both and try and draft a new rookie QB either this draft or next

If you think he is good you let him start for you for a year. If you are hell bent on trading him, his value would be MUCH higher if he is even moderately successful. Right now I doubt you could get a 2nd given what you point out about his rookie deal nearing an end.

Fritz
01-22-2023, 08:40 AM
If you think he is good you let him start for you for a year. If you are hell bent on trading him, his value would be MUCH higher if he is even moderately successful. Right now I doubt you could get a 2nd given what you point out about his rookie deal nearing an end.

Despite Rodgers's astronomical salary, trading him would be easier than trading Jordan Love - at least if you expect much at all in the way of return.

You make a good point - if a team was going to trade for Love, they'd have to be certain that he was going to be a good NFL QB, because you're going to pretty much have to pay him right away. And do other teams know that about him? Green Bay may not even fully know, and they've been watching him and working with him for three years now.

Trade Rodgers! Sounds like he may want out if Gutekunst refuses to bring back Cobb, Lewis, Lazard, and Bakh. I think Bakh is coming back, but maybe Gutes is not committed to that again. So here we are - again. Showdown time cuz Aaron Rodgers isn't happy with the personnel moves. Sigh.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-22-2023, 10:50 AM
Despite Rodgers's astronomical salary, trading him would be easier than trading Jordan Love - at least if you expect much at all in the way of return.

You make a good point - if a team was going to trade for Love, they'd have to be certain that he was going to be a good NFL QB, because you're going to pretty much have to pay him right away. And do other teams know that about him? Green Bay may not even fully know, and they've been watching him and working with him for three years now.

Trade Rodgers! Sounds like he may want out if Gutekunst refuses to bring back Cobb, Lewis, Lazard, and Bakh. I think Bakh is coming back, but maybe Gutes is not committed to that again. So here we are - again. Showdown time cuz Aaron Rodgers isn't happy with the personnel moves. Sigh.

Rodgers time as king has died. Long live the king, whomever that will be.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2023, 09:49 PM
I guess I am just good either way. Rodgers, Love, whatever. I don't think they're winning a super bowl and I don't really see how with Rodgers and pushing the can down the road they have the flexibility to go all in at this point. They don't have enough good young players so they need to rebuild. Is Goot the guy to rebuild? Shoot, IDK about that.

My guess as to what happens: Rodgers and Murphy go out hand in hand. Kissing. I'm serious, kissing aside.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 09:44 AM
Even if Rodgers were LeBron - and I don't think that's entirely spot on but maybe close - the Packers are the Cavaliers of like 2019 when he left. No assets, no flexibility, they were bled dry to make the runs they did.

jklowan
01-23-2023, 09:52 AM
Even if Rodgers were LeBron - and I don't think that's entirely spot on but maybe close - the Packers are the Cavaliers of like 2019 when he left. No assets, no flexibility, they were bled dry to make the runs they did.

except that there is still a ton of young talent on this team, not a full rebuild without Karen, just need to find a QB if Love ain't the cat

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 10:02 AM
The truth is in between those last two posts. There's plenty of talent to win, possibly even win it all if Rodgers bounces back even just part way - which he certainly should, despite the whining of the shitheads. But there's not enough talent to win with Love or even somebody like Purdy or a non-dominant QB like Cousins or most of the rest of them around the league.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 10:41 AM
except that there is still a ton of young talent on this team, not a full rebuild without Karen, just need to find a QB if Love ain't the cat

I'm not so sure I agree. There's younger guys but they're now becoming expensive on their second contracts (Clark, The CB, Jenkins, Gary is about to be extended, etc).

Had they drafted better in 2020 and 2021 they'd be well suited to compete, but they didn't, so they won't.

They need like 3 more good players if they want to win a Super Bowl. They don't have any money to do that or any flexibility to make said money happen due to this being year three of can kicking.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-23-2023, 11:13 AM
I'm not so sure I agree. There's younger guys but they're now becoming expensive on their second contracts (Clark, The CB, Jenkins, Gary is about to be extended, etc).

Had they drafted better in 2020 and 2021 they'd be well suited to compete, but they didn't, so they won't.

They need like 3 more good players if they want to win a Super Bowl. They don't have any money to do that or any flexibility to make said money happen due to this being year three of can kicking.

Watching these playoff games, I just don't see how you folks say the Packers are close?

Joemailman
01-23-2023, 11:38 AM
Watching these playoff games, I just don't see how you folks say the Packers are close?

Packers beat the Cowboys and were competitive on the road against Bills and Eagles. Why do you think they are so far away? Eagles who looked so dominant Saturday were 9-8 last year. It's often a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-23-2023, 11:49 AM
Packers beat the Cowboys and were competitive on the road against Bills and Eagles. Why do you think they are so far away? Eagles who looked so dominant Saturday were 9-8 last year. It's often a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL.

The Cowboys who played yesterday were no where close to the ones that the Packers beat. And the Eagles and 49ers both look TONs better than the Packers on their best day this year, especially on Defense..

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 12:06 PM

I think if the Packers want to compete with those teams they need Watson and Doubs to grow tremendously. They just need more weapons. They'll be a good regular season team next year probably but I don't see the talent to get it done against these teams. They would have lost to 3 of the 4 NFC teams this weekend this year, so they were #4 in the NFC. I'm not sure they beat any of the 4 divisional round AFC teams so they're like #7-8 in the league, pretty far from the Super Bowl.

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 12:12 PM
2022 Karen Rodgers is not going to help this team beat any of the last four remaining.

It is time to move on.

Fritz
01-23-2023, 12:42 PM
Trade Rodgers, start over with Love.

Even if Rodgers comes back because they re-sign his pals, then you're leaning on one good draft this year plus development to be competetive. You'd still be picked third in the division next year. So why not just go with Love and see what he can do? Trade Rodgers!

Joemailman
01-23-2023, 01:20 PM
I think if the Packers want to compete with those teams they need Watson and Doubs to grow tremendously. They just need more weapons. They'll be a good regular season team next year probably but I don't see the talent to get it done against these teams. They would have lost to 3 of the 4 NFC teams this weekend this year, so they were #4 in the NFC. I'm not sure they beat any of the 4 divisional round AFC teams so they're like #7-8 in the league, pretty far from the Super Bowl.

What they mostly need from Watson and Doubs is for them to be healthy. Watson would likely have had 1000+ yards and 10+TD's if not for the injuries, especially the knee which caused him to miss most of training camp. If the Packers are in the top 8 (your words), then they're potentially not that far away. That would mean they're no further away than Eagles were last year.

MadtownPacker
01-23-2023, 02:57 PM
Packers beat the Cowboys and were competitive on the road against Bills and Eagles. Why do you think they are so far away? Eagles who looked so dominant Saturday were 9-8 last year. It's often a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL.Cowboys and the bills are pretenders at this point. But you are right* about the Eagles game.

* When Love was in the air.

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Sheeeesh, the Rodgers hating shitheads just never quit hahahahaha.

The only route to Packer success next year or for a while beyond is keeping Rodgers and having him return to GOAT form - which is not that unlikely a scenario. Fortunately, the contract so many fools spew hate about gives that scenario a good likelihood.

jklowan
01-23-2023, 03:18 PM
jesus the only shithead is you, no one here is a hater, Rogers gave what he could to this org, time to move on that's it. Should have happened last year but the front office is full of pussies and feared the fan reaction. Dumbfucks imho

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 03:27 PM
Everybody in their mother in the media is setting the stage for a trade. It's gonna happen.

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 03:30 PM
So you and various other fools in here think you know better than Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc.? Fortunately, the Packer brass had the balls and brains to sign Rodgers to a contract pretty much guaranteed to keep him in Green Bay for at least a couple more years - likely the only way the Packers had any chance for success in that time frame. I'm fairly certain they wrote that contract that the haters hate so much with eyes wide open. I'm also farily certain their wisdom will be justifed in years to come.

It really seems like some dumbshits in here don't want Packer success because they weirdly hate Rodgers so much. That mindset is just shameful and disgusting for anybody calling themselves Packer fans.

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 04:14 PM
It really seems like some dumbshits in here don't want Packer success because they weirdly hate Rodgers so much.

Of all of your Epically Bad Hot Takes, this one might be the most off-base.

I don't hate Kaaron Rodgers, I do, however, hate that his ridiculous contract has hamstrung the team and crippled them moving forward.

We are on the brink of long-term mediocrity because of his selfishness (and Murphy/Gute incompetence).

If you were capable of the least bit of critical thinking, if reading comprehension was in your wheel-house, if your were capable of self-reflection, you would understand that is where the bulk of posters are coming from: not their hate of Rodgers, but their love of their team.

run pMc
01-23-2023, 04:25 PM
I think they wouldn't have signed Rodgers to that contract if they thought they were going to get the production they did from him this year. Big dropoff from MVP to 17th-ish in the league.

His contract (and Bakhtiari's) really hamstring the cap and the team's ability to bring in supporting players who could help them make the playoffs and possibly make noise there.

You win with a good QB, but you also need your roster's production to exceed its cost. The team underperformed in 2022.
That's not all on Rodgers, but he often joined rather than overcame poor performances by others.

I don't hate Rodgers, I just think it's time to move in a different direction at QB based on what I saw in 2022.

Bretsky
01-23-2023, 04:58 PM
So you and various other fools in here think you know better than Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc.? Fortunately, the Packer brass had the balls and brains to sign Rodgers to a contract pretty much guaranteed to keep him in Green Bay for at least a couple more years - likely the only way the Packers had any chance for success in that time frame. I'm fairly certain they wrote that contract that the haters hate so much with eyes wide open. I'm also farily certain their wisdom will be justifed in years to come.

It really seems like some dumbshits in here don't want Packer success because they weirdly hate Rodgers so much. That mindset is just shameful and disgusting for anybody calling themselves Packer fans.

Come on man; you really honestly think Gutebag wanted a contract like this ? This was all AROD and what he wanted and kudos to him for breaking down GB . He squeezed Gute by the jibs so hard and finally got everything he wanted. Now after getting everything he wanted, he's playing the maybe I'll wanna come back if you do what I want game again. It's really getting old

I

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 06:39 PM
It wasn't exactly like you say, but your part about Rodgers wanting it probably is true too. Some have claimed it was all about the money for him, and he is, of course, getting a helluva lot. My take on it, though, is that he wanted a contract that would prevent the team trading him - which this certainly is. The team made a commitment to keep him for at least a couple more years. That seemed like a great idea at the time - probably even to many of the dumbasses who now think it is a bad thing. If Rodgers' career had continued in basically a straight line, just slightly downward as expected with age, very few would be whining, and the team would still be at or near the top. Instead, Rodgers declined a lot more than he should have due to whatever - injuries, inexperienced receivers, injuries to receivers, etc. If people are dumb enough to see that situation to be sure to continue, then maybe their shit wouldn't be as idiotic. Does anybody in here, though, seriously think Rodgers will play like he did this past season again? I can here a few "yeses" already hahahahahaha.

Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc. obviously figured he would be GOATish for at least three years or they wouldn't have done the deal. So WHO in here seriously thinks they knew better?

Whether they still think so is another story, but I'm fairly sure they aren't all that panicky like a lot of dumbasses in here.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Why the hate on the contract? The money is fair market value and the structure is to accommodate the cap situation of the team? You can be disappointed he underachieved but why the hating on the contract? It ain’t your money and he earned it or they wouldn’t have offered it. All parties willingly signed.

Joemailman
01-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Why the hate on the contract? The money is fair market value and the structure is to accommodate the cap situation of the team? You can be disappointed he underachieved but why the hating on the contract? It ain’t your money and he earned it or they wouldn’t have offered it. All parties willingly signed.

A lot of people felt giving a 38 year old player a contract with 100 million in guarantees is a bad idea. It was structured to accommodate the cap, but also to make it impossible to cut him in 2023 and difficult to trade him.

George Cumby
01-23-2023, 08:43 PM
A lot of people felt giving a 38 year old player a contract with 100 million in guarantees is a bad idea. It was structured to accommodate the cap, but also to make it impossible to cut him in 2023 and difficult to trade him.

This.

Bretsky
01-23-2023, 09:14 PM
This.

This. Horrible structure to appease Aaron and to show his appreciation sharon is back trying to manipulate gutebag even more

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2023, 10:02 PM
Meh, shits gonna work out. It’s fine. They’re not winning anything big next year anyway. Kind of a good thing to take your medicine for a year, get some high picks, get a clear answer at QB and LFG for a title in 2026

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 10:04 PM
Of all of your Epically Bad Hot Takes, this one might be the most off-base.

I don't hate Kaaron Rodgers, I do, however, hate that his ridiculous contract has hamstrung the team and crippled them moving forward.

We are on the brink of long-term mediocrity because of his selfishness (and Murphy/Gute incompetence).

If you were capable of the least bit of critical thinking, if reading comprehension was in your wheel-house, if your were capable of self-reflection, you would understand that is where the bulk of posters are coming from: not their hate of Rodgers, but their love of their team.

What? It hurts to be called out for your shitheadness and idiocy? Longterm mediocrity? That's just stupid. Rodgers gets back even part of the way, and presto, instantly the team is back on top, even with the underperforming D, etc.

So you actually DO claim to know more than Gutekunst/LaFleur/Murphy?

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2023, 10:08 PM

A lot of know-nothings maybe. Not the Packer brass, not me. How about you, Joe? You didn't really say if you are part of "a lot of people".

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-24-2023, 04:51 AM
What? It hurts to be called out for your shitheadness and idiocy? Longterm mediocrity? That's just stupid. Rodgers gets back even part of the way, and presto, instantly the team is back on top, even with the underperforming D, etc.

So you actually DO claim to know more than Gutekunst/LaFleur/Murphy?

You seem to give those guys more credit than they are due, considering the 2022 results and the Cap hell we currently face. The NFL is littered with fired coaches who thought they knew it all..

jklowan
01-24-2023, 08:03 AM
Rogers and this current front office will all be gone by the end of 2025 unless serious changes are made, I'm on the fence about the coaching staff. You cannot keep bleeding talent to appease 1 player no matter how good he is.

ThunderDan
01-24-2023, 08:59 AM
So you and various other fools in here think you know better than Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc.?

You certainly seem to. You tell us how below average Bach is and you rail on how bad the OL is and only ARod is responsible for our success. Yet for some reason, Gute and TT have kept Bach as one of the highest paid LTs in the league and Jenkins contract is also very large.

That mindset is just shameful and disgusting for anybody calling themselves Packer fans.

Fosco33
01-24-2023, 10:33 AM
I think they wouldn't have signed Rodgers to that contract if they thought they were going to get the production they did from him this year. Big dropoff from MVP to 17th-ish in the league.

His contract (and Bakhtiari's) really hamstring the cap and the team's ability to bring in supporting players who could help them make the playoffs and possibly make noise there.

You win with a good QB, but you also need your roster's production to exceed its cost. The team underperformed in 2022.
That's not all on Rodgers, but he often joined rather than overcame poor performances by others.

I don't hate Rodgers, I just think it's time to move in a different direction at QB based on what I saw in 2022.

We may sign Loves 5th year and pay him a lot and have no clue.

Or you get lucky and draft Mr Irrelevant, pay him almost nothing and get to the NFCC.

The rookie deals with high potential QBs are really the time to maximize your roster and chance of success. Laying out all this money for a couple positions and being subpar everywhere else makes an injury or off year pretty bad.

SudsMcBucky
01-24-2023, 10:37 AM
I am all on board keeping ARod around even with his contract. However, I don't want to hear anymore about being forced to keep old man Cobb around. I don't want Lazard if he's going to command $10MM. I'm good with keeping Bahk as he's great if healthy and seemed to show he was good last part of the year. I only want Tonyan/Mercedes is if they're on VERY team-friendly deals. I don't want AR acting as GM to sign his buddies.

red
01-24-2023, 12:00 PM
I am all on board keeping ARod around even with his contract. However, I don't want to hear anymore about being forced to keep old man Cobb around. I don't want Lazard if he's going to command $10MM. I'm good with keeping Bahk as he's great if healthy and seemed to show he was good last part of the year. I only want Tonyan/Mercedes is if they're on VERY team-friendly deals. I don't want AR acting as GM to sign his buddies.

I see not reason to cut back at this point, he seemed to finally be over the knee injury and back to normal

He just missed a lot of time do to the freak appendicitis, can’t blame him for that

ThunderDan
01-24-2023, 12:08 PM
I see not reason to cut back at this point, he seemed to finally be over the knee injury and back to normal

He just missed a lot of time do to the freak appendicitis, can’t blame him for that

Of course you can, just like players that get rolled up from behind are injury prone.

Fritz
01-24-2023, 02:18 PM

I'd rather see Arod be an acting coach in charge of developing the OTA's, so he can supply everyone with mind-bending drugs and they can sit around and learn how to read Arod's football mind so they can all know where exactly he wants them to be on the field at all times, even if it's not in the playbook.

The Shadow
01-24-2023, 03:56 PM
I just don't see Love as the answer. I wish there was a better option.

Fosco33
01-24-2023, 04:46 PM
I'd rather see Arod be an acting coach in charge of developing the OTA's, so he can supply everyone with mind-bending drugs and they can sit around and learn how to read Arod's football mind so they can all know where exactly he wants them to be on the field at all times, even if it's not in the playbook.

Shit. Now I want to join the OTAs. Can fans be included??

George Cumby
01-24-2023, 06:19 PM

Hahahahahahaha

Joemailman
01-24-2023, 10:16 PM
Andrew Brandt
@AndrewBrandt

Re Aaron/Packers:

I think the both sides know which way this is going.
Both Aaron and the team.
We don’t know yet, but they do.
And, as I have said, I sense change ahead.

Fritz
01-25-2023, 05:55 AM
Funny how, because of the need for constant content, so, so many "news" stories or quips coming from the supposed "experts" consists of speculation and nothing more. Such is the world of the internets, I suppose.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2023, 09:41 AM
What has or could change for the Packers at this point? They know what they have so to that end I think they've already made their mind up as Andy Brandt said. The variable of course would be compensation but I think people are living in a dream world of getting a R1 for Rodgers. Favre had a much better year before he was dealt and got an R3 in a similar situation. Of course, the narrative of old dudes playing QB was a little different then but still not _that_ different.

I think the interview with McAfee was telling yesterday. I think Aaron thinks Jordan Love is going to be a reasonably good player or at least has the potential and raw talent to be. I think he is okay with moving on since he locked in his money.

Joemailman
01-25-2023, 09:53 AM
I think the Packers can get more for Rodgers than they did for Favre. The reason being is that keeping Rodgers is still an option if they don't like any offers they get. In 2008 it had gotten to the point where there was no way Favre could return to the Packers so they didn't have much leverage.

The one thing I took from the McAfee interview is that if there is to be a split between Rodgers and the Packers, Rodgers wants it to be amicable. He does not want a repeat of 2008. Unlike Favre, Rodgers cares how he is regarded by the Packers and their fans after his playing days here are over.

Bretsky
01-25-2023, 11:15 AM
I think the Packers can get more for Rodgers than they did for Favre. The reason being is that keeping Rodgers is still an option if they don't like any offers they get. In 2008 it had gotten to the point where there was no way Favre could return to the Packers so they didn't have much leverage.

The one thing I took from the McAfee interview is that if there is to be a split between Rodgers and the Packers, Rodgers wants it to be amicable. He does not want a repeat of 2008. Unlike Favre, Rodgers cares how he is regarded by the Packers and their fans after his playing days here are over.

this
AND
What I also took from the interview with the GD Media Tool was AROD is still trying to push his agenda of getting his old no upside buddies back by noting he understands his contract would be modified. NOTE; Not lowered, but funds pushed back...with the soft message.....Sign my cronies and I'll give up the cap hit near term for this...............but the reality is.....it just screws us down the road.

It's abundantly clear AROD did not hear what he wanted in the exit interview. Gutebag wants AROD back, but only if he's all in (attending some of the offseason stuff), a good leader, and willing to accept his role without leveraing his Assitant GM status to bring back his buddies.
I don't think Gute wants to carry them along for the ride anymore and IMO wants to get younger.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Arizona - Kyler for Aaron?
Dallas - They're a QB away
Minnesota - Are they a QB away?
New Orleans - Did they take their cap lumps this year? They are still pretty talented no?
NYG - Great coach, shit QB
San Francisco - I'd take Lance for Rodgers straight up
Seattle - I don't see the fit
Washington - I don't see the fit but maybe
Indy - Are they still good everywhere except for QB? They seemingly have spent a lot of picks on trash QBs
Raiders - Are they any good?
Miami - This might be the best fit for Aaron or Brady
New England - do they have the weapons?
NYJ - Good GM but blew their high pick on a shit QB
Pittsburgh - Are they a QB away?
Tennessee - Are they a QB away?

Where's this man going? Dallas is the best fit IMO. NO maybe a dark horse fit? Tennessee too maybe? Miami also feels really good.

Joemailman
01-25-2023, 12:57 PM
I wonder if it could come down to a bidding war between the Jets and Giants...if the Giants don't re-sign Daniel Jones.

pittstang5
01-25-2023, 01:54 PM
I just want the drama to end sooner rather than later. The last couple seasons, I really wanted Rodgers to stay, even last year I wanted him back. Now, I just don't care. Trade him, he stays, he retires....whatever, just make a decision and move on. I'm too old and cranky to want this drama to keep on going.

King Friday
01-25-2023, 06:21 PM
If the opportunity is there to get a high first round pick in return for Rodgers, then the trade has to happen. The bottom line is that Rodgers will never win another title unless he takes less money and stops requiring old farts to hang out with him on the roster. He seems unwilling to go there, so receiving good compensation would make a trade a necessity if this team wants any chance in the next 3-4 years.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2023, 10:38 PM
Old farts - you’re probably right. Less money? Nah. He could take his cap money down to vet minimum this year IIRC. His cap number isn’t prohibitive at all this year. It’s a young man’s game clearly but I don’t think his cap number is the problem. I have no issue with Packers sucking balls and paying the piper for a year after Rodgers. I actually welcome it! I think it would accelerate the get-back-to-good process.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-25-2023, 11:14 PM
Arizona - Kyler for Aaron?
Dallas - They're a QB away
Minnesota - Are they a QB away?
New Orleans - Did they take their cap lumps this year? They are still pretty talented no?
NYG - Great coach, shit QB
San Francisco - I'd take Lance for Rodgers straight up
Seattle - I don't see the fit
Washington - I don't see the fit but maybe
Indy - Are they still good everywhere except for QB? They seemingly have spent a lot of picks on trash QBs
Raiders - Are they any good?
Miami - This might be the best fit for Aaron or Brady
New England - do they have the weapons?
NYJ - Good GM but blew their high pick on a shit QB
Pittsburgh - Are they a QB away?
Tennessee - Are they a QB away?

Where's this man going? Dallas is the best fit IMO. NO maybe a dark horse fit? Tennessee too maybe? Miami also feels really good.

If the Packers are gonna trade Butte, they ain’t trading him to a NFC team, unless that team offers the fucking Titanic.

NewsBruin
01-25-2023, 11:53 PM
Old farts - you’re probably right. Less money? Nah. He could take his cap money down to vet minimum this year IIRC. His cap number isn’t prohibitive at all this year. It’s a young man’s game clearly but I don’t think his cap number is the problem. I have no issue with Packers sucking balls and paying the piper for a year after Rodgers. I actually welcome it! I think it would accelerate the get-back-to-good process.

I don't know if this is correct, but per Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/?ref=trending-players), Rodgers had the veteran minimum this past season ($1.15M) and will do so again this season ($1.165M).

Last season, his minimum was augmented by a $40M signing bonus, and this year, it's augmented by a $14.5M option bonus. Last season and this season also include a $2.85M restructure cap charge, which I guess is taking a previous contract's one-year charge (salary or roster bonus) and stretching it out over more years.

The minimum salary ($1.165M) is set in stone, as is the portion of the signing bonus ($12.98M) and the restructure ($2.85M). That's about $17M against the cap that's either already been paid or is the least we can pay Rodgers. None of that can be changed.

The only flexibility is Rodgers' $14.5M option and his $50,000 workout bonus. The Packers could extend him one more year, convert this year's bonuses into another signing bonus and split that $14.55M into five easy cap charges of $2.91M. If we convert the bonus but don't extend him, that's four yearly cap charges of $3.64M.

So instead of $31M this upcoming year (2023), he only counts $20M against the cap if we give him another year (2027).

But two things:

First, the year after that (2024), his salary increases (to $2.25M) and the option more than doubles (to $30M). He "only" has $8M of signing bonus charges in 2024, so that's $40M without adding $2.91M from restructuring his 2023 option bonus.

Second, nobody restructures for free. Rodgers isn't here to do Mark Murphy and The Best Fans In The NFL a solid. There will be more bonus money tacked on and more charges stretched out for more seasons, and the total salary cap hit will just be more and more.

I don't get the mindset of "I'd rather wave stupid money at Rodgers now to massage his hurt feelings, and I'll be okay when he's retired and eating 17% of our salary cap in 2026." I just don't believe our fans will be blissful with a garbage roster, warm memories of missing the playoffs again, and Rodgers' wistful passive-aggressive video message on his appreciation night.

I'd rather suck now with a cheaper Jordan Love and money to spread around our roster, but it's too late for that. Maybe we can find some starry-eyed GM who'll take A-Rod off our hands, but I have a feeling that Rodgers' and Russel Wilson's (and Deshaun Watson's) performances this past season have scared off most front offices from making an all-in trade for a veteran QB in 2023. Still, if we could trade his nobody-appreciates-me self and eat however much dead money for one year only, I'd take that fifth-round pick and sack of footballs.

run pMc
01-26-2023, 07:36 AM
I don't think they were very good this year -- certainly not compared to the divisional round playoff teams -- and I'm not convinced they'll be better next year with Rodgers. If they're going to be a meh team in a mostly sucky NFC, might as well do it with cap space and a young QB on an expiring contract. See what he can do, and what the MLF offense actually looks like.

The 2024 QB draft class could be a good one with Caleb Williams and Drake May. If GB craps the bed with Love they can always move on and go for a new QB. Rodgers has been a great QB for years, but I think that time has likely passed, and I don't see the upside to trotting him out there again to go 8-9.

Fritz
01-26-2023, 08:24 AM
I don't know if this is correct, but per Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/?ref=trending-players), Rodgers had the veteran minimum this past season ($1.15M) and will do so again this season ($1.165M).

Last season, his minimum was augmented by a $40M signing bonus, and this year, it's augmented by a $14.5M option bonus. Last season and this season also include a $2.85M restructure cap charge, which I guess is taking a previous contract's one-year charge (salary or roster bonus) and stretching it out over more years.

The minimum salary ($1.165M) is set in stone, as is the portion of the signing bonus ($12.98M) and the restructure ($2.85M). That's about $17M against the cap that's either already been paid or is the least we can pay Rodgers. None of that can be changed.

The only flexibility is Rodgers' $14.5M option and his $50,000 workout bonus. The Packers could extend him one more year, convert this year's bonuses into another signing bonus and split that $14.55M into five easy cap charges of $2.91M. If we convert the bonus but don't extend him, that's four yearly cap charges of $3.64M.

So instead of $31M this upcoming year (2023), he only counts $20M against the cap if we give him another year (2027).

But two things:

First, the year after that (2024), his salary increases (to $2.25M) and the option more than doubles (to $30M). He "only" has $8M of signing bonus charges in 2024, so that's $40M without adding $2.91M from restructuring his 2023 option bonus.

Second, nobody restructures for free. Rodgers isn't here to do Mark Murphy and The Best Fans In The NFL a solid. There will be more bonus money tacked on and more charges stretched out for more seasons, and the total salary cap hit will just be more and more.

I don't get the mindset of "I'd rather wave stupid money at Rodgers now to massage his hurt feelings, and I'll be okay when he's retired and eating 17% of our salary cap in 2026." I just don't believe our fans will be blissful with a garbage roster, warm memories of missing the playoffs again, and Rodgers' wistful passive-aggressive video message on his appreciation night.

I'd rather suck now with a cheaper Jordan Love and money to spread around our roster, but it's too late for that. Maybe we can find some starry-eyed GM who'll take A-Rod off our hands, but I have a feeling that Rodgers' and Russel Wilson's (and Deshaun Watson's) performances this past season have scared off most front offices from making an all-in trade for a veteran QB in 2023. Still, if we could trade his nobody-appreciates-me self and eat however much dead money for one year only, I'd take that fifth-round pick and sack of footballs.

I completely agree with ya, NewsBruin. I am certain GB fans would not be okay in 2025 or whenever with a ginormous cap drag on the team due to a retired Aaron Rodgers's contract. I also think I'd like to just move on from Rodgers. I also think you're right - I don't think you'll get a whole lot for him at this point. I think you could get a second rounder, maybe a late first. But there won't be a Matthew Stafford-like package or anything.

I do disagree with Shadow's post above, however. You just have to listen to the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QZjJU-mtFU

Joemailman
01-26-2023, 09:59 AM
Jets hiring Nathaniel Hackett as OC. Is it happening?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2023, 10:35 AM

Damn. Twitter is barking about the Jets pig owner being more than happy to give up 2 1sts for Butte.

Good thing I switched off days at the burger joint from Sun/Mon/Tue to Wed/Thurs/Fri. With history repeating itself, and with the Packers shipping Butte off to Siberia, expect the Packers to go 6-10 next season. I’d rather watch the NHL than watch the Packers go 6-10 again.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2023, 10:44 AM
Hackett turned the masterful Russ Wilson into a toothless QB. There has got to better candidates in the sea. Bryon Leftwich, to name one.

Yet, the Jets hired Hackett. Butte’s heading to Siberia.

George Cumby
01-26-2023, 11:30 AM

Please, Dear God, yes.

Bretsky
01-26-2023, 11:35 AM

Wilde and tausch played an extended interview from end of 2020 when arod glorified Hackett and called him the most pleasant and joyful person in the building to play for and then expanded on that. Going to be interesting

red
01-26-2023, 11:37 AM
The New York media was pretty much going nuts about getting him yesterday, saying how he’s the missing piece, and how he’s so amazing, it’s obvious none of them watched any packer games this season and saw he isn’t that player anymore

Best case is New York fans continue to get themselves all riled up and start demanding the jets trade for him. We could still get a good hall for him, 2 days ago I was thinking we could only get a second from someone.

Sparkey
01-26-2023, 11:42 AM
Hacket hired as JETS o.c.

Joemailman
01-26-2023, 12:18 PM
The New York media was pretty much going nuts about getting him yesterday, saying how he’s the missing piece, and how he’s so amazing, it’s obvious none of them watched any packer games this season and saw he isn’t that player anymore

Best case is New York fans continue to get themselves all riled up and start demanding the jets trade for him. We could still get a good hall for him, 2 days ago I was thinking we could only get a second from someone.

Oh yeah? Well Stephen A. Smith says Jets could win it all with Rodgers.

NewsBruin
01-26-2023, 01:12 PM
And I will gladly sweep up their parade if the Rod-Jets do.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2023, 02:16 PM
Yeah, shitheads and haters, get your hopes up just like when the Broncos hired Hackett hahahahahahahaha. It ain't happening.

Fritz
01-26-2023, 03:04 PM

please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

bobblehead
01-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Yeah, shitheads and haters, get your hopes up just like when the Broncos hired Hackett hahahahahahahaha. It ain't happening.

In 2020 and again in 2021 I said no way he was going anywhere and in the end he really didn't want to. In 2022 I'm shifting gears. I think he is not our QB next year. I can't say for sure if its the jets or someone else, but I think we have seen ARods last pass for the packers and it was similar to Favre's last pass for the packers.

I have also said consistently since we originally hired Hackett that he is a shitty coach. If he is a wonderfully pleasant guy or not I have no clue. I hope he is charismatic enough to talk the Jets into signing Cobb and Lazard.

jklowan
01-26-2023, 03:11 PM
"I have also said consistently since we originally hired Hackett that he is a shitty coach. If he is a wonderfully pleasant guy or not I have no clue. I hope he is charismatic enough to talk the Jets into signing Cobb and Lazard."

Can they take Bak and his contract to, they need a r tackle

how about 2 1st's and Corey Davis for Rogers and Bak

RashanGary
01-26-2023, 03:14 PM

The contract promotes a trade. The amount we have to pay him just keeps getting worse, and fast. Trading him means whoever takes him gets a 4 year 36M per year deal. Highly attractive. We eat 40.

We’re running into a point in the salary cap where we have to deal with these down the road void contracts. Rodgers deal adds to the salary cap hindrance. We just can’t add much and can’t keep everyone. And we’re not good enough. It’s a good time to do a quick rebuild and hope we luck into a QB. Or if we like Love, its a good time for the switch as we’ll need a year or two to get back on top anyway.

Trade is very likely this offseason. Very likely.

RashanGary
01-26-2023, 03:16 PM
I wouldn’t trade for Rodgers if I’m another team. He thrives when he has quality receivers he’s been with a while. He’s old and starting over. I don’t think he’ll have success in a new environment.

jklowan
01-26-2023, 03:22 PM
I think he plays best with a chip on his shoulder and this would put a big one as he had a bad year and would want to make GB wish they had kept him, I think he hasa one year bump in him

Bretsky
01-26-2023, 03:46 PM

OH TEX

We're NOT winning a Super Bowl with Joe Barry as our Defensive Coordinator. He was shit for 75 percent of the year, and saves his job vs a Bears team that was tanking, a Rams team with Baker Mayfield there for 14 days, Miami with aide of Tua throwing 3 Interceptions after he lost his head, a fading and a fading and grossly overrated Vikings Team. Barry gets credit for Detroit, and some credit for the other teams but not nearly enough for me to believe he can lead a team to the Super Bowl.

The greater good lost. When Barry was rehired that impacted my view of keeping Rodgers. AROD gives us a much greater chance of winning each week. AROD is way better than Jordan Love. I give you that.

But this team is not set up to beat Phily, San Fran, Cincy, Buffalo, or KC in a prime time game. Hell we can't even beat the DAM LIONS

This is referred to by some as learned helplessness. That's who I feel as a Packer fan in their current state.

It's time to lick our wounds, take our 2 first round draft picks, trade away our 3rd round pick for the next 10 years, and pray for the best

bobblehead
01-26-2023, 05:12 PM
This was Rodgers on the Mac show:

“If they feel like it was in the best interests of the team to move forward, so be it,” Rodgers said. “Again, that wouldn’t offend me, and it wouldn’t make me feel like a victim. I wouldn’t have any animosity towards the team. I love the organization, I love the city, I love the region.”

“I hope there’s some gratitude on both sides if that happens,” Rodgers said.

This sounds like a guy who understands he is departing. Its also a guy I can cheer for wherever he lands. I think its time to move on, but it doesn't have to be ugly.

George Cumby
01-26-2023, 05:27 PM
^ Wow.

Without intonation it's hard to tell for sure, but that sounds like a guy who's made peace with moving on.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2023, 06:35 PM
The contract promotes a trade. The amount we have to pay him just keeps getting worse, and fast. Trading him means whoever takes him gets a 4 year 36M per year deal. Highly attractive. We eat 40.

We’re running into a point in the salary cap where we have to deal with these down the road void contracts. Rodgers deal adds to the salary cap hindrance. We just can’t add much and can’t keep everyone. And we’re not good enough. It’s a good time to do a quick rebuild and hope we luck into a QB. Or if we like Love, its a good time for the switch as we’ll need a year or two to get back on top anyway.

Trade is very likely this offseason. Very likely.

What you say is true - from the point of view of another team, a very good deal to get the still best QB in the NFL for what would amount to almost a bargain price. However, if you look at it from the Packer point of view, it absolutely ain't gonna happen - barring the Packer brass just throwing in the towel and condemning the team to rottenness on the low end, mediocrity on the high end for a long time. The contract - that glorious contract that I like so much because it effectively precludes a trade and which the stupid Rodgers haters detest so much - just would be too horrible a pill to swallow even if it was assumed that Rodgers is over the hill. And what you're talking about as a good thing for a trading partner - "4" years X $36 million a year (where does the "4" come from?), that applies equally well to the Packers if they keep him.

As for Rodgers on MacAfee, as somebody said in here yesterday I think, he and also the team probably already know or damn near know that he ain't going anywhere. What he sounded like was somebody simply analyzing the situation - the team is extremely much better off keeping him - and saying "if the team feels like moving on i.e. screwing things up for the foreseeable future, fine, whatever" but of course, he knows how stupid that would be, and thus, he knows it isn't gonna happen.

As for the Packers not having a chance for the Super Bowl this year because of Barry and other non-Rodgers factors, maybe, maybe not. We could have, maybe should have gone all the way despite Barry's crap in '21. If not for injuries to Rodgers, the receivers, as well as Gary and other key defensive personnel, who knows. And as for next year, an obvious bounce back by Rodgers, expected improvement by the receivers, and reasonably good health on defense, and why is it any kind of a stretch at all that the team could be as good or better than '20 and '21, and possibly go all the way?

Fritz
01-27-2023, 07:15 AM
^ Wow.

Without intonation it's hard to tell for sure, but that sounds like a guy who's made peace with moving on.

I wonder if he's made peace with moving on to places like New York or Tennessee or Indianapolis or Miami, or if he's only made peace with moving on to Las Vegas or some west coast team.

red
01-27-2023, 07:35 AM
I wonder if he's made peace with moving on to places like New York or Tennessee or Indianapolis or Miami, or if he's only made peace with moving on to Las Vegas or some west coast team.

lot of people linking him with the raiders because of davonte

are we sure adams wants him there? he is the one that decided to leave last year even though the packers reportedly offered him more money

RashanGary
01-27-2023, 09:07 AM
Tex, where you’re very wrong is when you say the contract is hard to trade. It’s the exact opposite. The contract was set up so trading is a great option. In no what what do ever does the contract prohibit a trade.

They knew what they were doing and the trade is coming this year.

NewsBruin
01-27-2023, 10:08 AM
lot of people linking him with the raiders because of davonte

are we sure adams wants him there? he is the one that decided to leave last year even though the packers reportedly offered him more money

A big part of Davonte choosing the Raiders was his buddy Carr. Now Carr isn't wanted in Vegas by the front office. Maybe Davonte wanted a different QB from Rodgers, but his bro isn't an option.

jklowan
01-27-2023, 10:14 AM
He also stated that his family had never seen him play in GB and that was a big reason for going to the west, much easier fly in and out of LV than GB, plus lots of other shit to do in SIN City

Fritz
01-27-2023, 11:04 AM
Tex, where you’re very wrong is when you say the contract is hard to trade. It’s the exact opposite. The contract was set up so trading is a great option. In no what what do ever does the contract prohibit a trade.

I think a part of what people were talking about when they said the contract made a trade difficult is the amount the Packers would be on the hook for if they traded Rodgers. But maybe the front office is more willing to swallow that than they were last year. Who knows?

But we can hope. Except for Tex. We know what he wants.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2023, 11:16 AM
It will be really interesting to get the whole story with Adams down the road. I am sure there is more there than meets the eye. I personally do not believe the Packers offered him more player favorable terms than the Raiders did or he wouldn't have left.

King Friday
01-27-2023, 11:36 AM
It will be really interesting to get the whole story with Adams down the road. I am sure there is more there than meets the eye. I personally do not believe the Packers offered him more player favorable terms than the Raiders did or he wouldn't have left.

Adams openly admitted that the Packers did offer more in terms of money, and I doubt the structure of the contract was all that different.

The Raiders are the team he idolized as a kid, and I’m guessing he prefers Vegas as a city to live in. Their QB was someone he played with in college. He figured Rodgers, at best, would be good for only another 2-3 years, while he was looking to play for 5+ more seasons. Adams leaving had nothing to do with the Packers front office trying to short change or screw over Adams.

red
01-27-2023, 11:52 AM
Rodgers back to playing the victim card. Says big companies are trying to vilify him

It’s never his fault that people are starting to take the drunken goggles off and seeing him as the self centered fuck he’s always been

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2023, 12:55 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Packers get stung ridiculously hard against the cap if they trade him. THAT is what I'm talking about - not a no trade clause or bad situation for the other team.

jklowan
01-27-2023, 01:51 PM
Rodgers does not have a no trade clause in his contract so he could be traded to a team as well. The timing of the option should give the Packers all the way until the end of training camp to move him. The cap charge here would depend on when he was traded. If Rodgers were to be traded prior to June 1st the Packers would take on a $40,313,750 cap hit in 2023. If he was traded after June 1st it would be a $15,833,570 cap hit in 2023 with $24,480,000 due in 2024. This assumes that the Packers did not exercise the option before the trade. If the option is exercised then the trade number spikes to nearly $100 million. There should be no need to exercise the option until the last possible day.

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

The acquiring team pays less to have Aaron Rodgers ON their team in 2023 and 2024 than when he is no longer there. Such is the weird contract of Aaron Rodgers. The overall cap cost would be about $94.2M for two years of work and four years of cap hits. That is about the overall going rate for quarterbacks these days, but the way it hits the cap is unique.

bobblehead
01-27-2023, 02:44 PM
Rodgers back to playing the victim card. Says big companies are trying to vilify him

It’s never his fault that people are starting to take the drunken goggles off and seeing him as the self centered fuck he’s always been

He actually isn't wrong though. Big companies have backed away from him. I didn't see the entire interview, but I don't think he was whining "poor me, I'm a victim". He was simply saying that he took a stand and is paying a price. That isn't wrong.

bobblehead
01-27-2023, 02:48 PM
Rodgers does not have a no trade clause in his contract so he could be traded to a team as well. The timing of the option should give the Packers all the way until the end of training camp to move him. The cap charge here would depend on when he was traded. If Rodgers were to be traded prior to June 1st the Packers would take on a $40,313,750 cap hit in 2023. If he was traded after June 1st it would be a $15,833,570 cap hit in 2023 with $24,480,000 due in 2024. This assumes that the Packers did not exercise the option before the trade. If the option is exercised then the trade number spikes to nearly $100 million. There should be no need to exercise the option until the last possible day.

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

The acquiring team pays less to have Aaron Rodgers ON their team in 2023 and 2024 than when he is no longer there. Such is the weird contract of Aaron Rodgers. The overall cap cost would be about $94.2M for two years of work and four years of cap hits. That is about the overall going rate for quarterbacks these days, but the way it hits the cap is unique.

So here is the deal though. Cap money is fungible. They could trade Rodgers tomorrow and take the entire 40m hit, then simply restructure/void other contracts to kick a portion of that into next year. Bottom line, they have to take some hits for probably 2 years anyway. 26/14 or 40/0 is almost irrelevant. They are over the cap both seasons anyway and will need to play games to get compliant. Whether they do that with Rodgers deal/trade or someone elses, the net results for the team are the same.

run pMc
01-27-2023, 04:49 PM
They're going to need to restructure contracts anyway. Aaron Jones isn't coming back with a $20M cap hit next season. That will get redone. Kenny Clark probably will get his redone. And so on. Question is whether they have the room to restructure enough contracts to keep some of those players AND trade Rodgers and take the $40M cap hit.
Don't recall if they can trade him after June 1 and spread that hit across both years? Either way I'd expect the $59M bonus to get paid just before Game 1.

Unless Rodgers is undecided about coming back except for the money, and Murphy convinces him to retire with a $20M parting gift/job to be a GB ambassador or whatever in his retirement.

RashanGary
01-28-2023, 10:21 AM
40M cap hit this year (spread out over two years if later than June 1) is far more manageable than the 68 next year and 99 the year after. It’s trade him now or never. And that’s why this is the time.

RashanGary
01-28-2023, 10:22 AM
When Rodgers said it was a one year deal and then a two year deal, that is what he meant.

King Friday
01-28-2023, 10:33 AM
When Rodgers said it was a one year deal and then a two year deal, that is what he meant.

I agree. The contract Rodgers signed last year gave Green Bay a one time out after the first season. I guess that is probably why Rodgers wanted to keep playing so much this season, because he was essentially playing on a one year deal as far as Green Bay was concerned. The Packers are confident enough in Love to move forward with him if necessary, but they rolled the dice to see if Rodgers could maintain his elite level of performance.

In the end, I don’t think Rodgers did enough last season to allow for him to continue to demand specific roster moves and concessions. I think that is becoming clear to Rodgers now, which is why even he is starting to put the foundation in place publicly for a potential departure from the Packers.

Fritz
01-28-2023, 10:50 AM
I agree. The contract Rodgers signed last year gave Green Bay a one time out after the first season. I guess that is probably why Rodgers wanted to keep playing so much this season, because he was essentially playing on a one year deal as far as Green Bay was concerned. The Packers are confident enough in Love to move forward with him if necessary, but they rolled the dice to see if Rodgers could maintain his elite level of performance.

In the end, I don’t think Rodgers did enough last season to allow for him to continue to demand specific roster moves and concessions. I think that is becoming clear to Rodgers now, which is why even he is starting to put the foundation in place publicly for a potential departure from the Packers.

This is a good point, but even here there are a couple of ways to see this. First, as you do - he sees what might be coming, or what he might even want (I don't think he really knows quite yet) - and he is prepping everyone for that. He's a smart guy. But as smart as he is, he also may be saying all this about an amicable departure knowing he's not going anywhere, so he can afford to sound generous.

There may be a little bit of a game of chicken going on - Rodgers is going to keep hemming and hawing about retirement, waiting to see what the Guter is going to do about Bakh, Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan, and Lewis. (Makes me wonder - are any of those players on Rodgers's list "must haves"? Are there any he'd be okay without? Like, say, if they re-sign Cobb, can he live without them signing Tonyan? I suspect his good friends Cobb and Lewis are of key importance to Rodgers, but I don't know.)

I do think Rodgers loves all this cat-and-mouse stuff.

Joemailman
01-28-2023, 01:29 PM
Moneyline on who Rodgers will play for in 2023:

Packers -115
Jets +115
Raiders +750
Colts +1000
Dolphins +1200
Patriots +1500
Titans +1500
Commanders +1800

bobblehead
01-28-2023, 02:34 PM
This is a good point, but even here there are a couple of ways to see this. First, as you do - he sees what might be coming, or what he might even want (I don't think he really knows quite yet) - and he is prepping everyone for that. He's a smart guy. But as smart as he is, he also may be saying all this about an amicable departure knowing he's not going anywhere, so he can afford to sound generous.

There may be a little bit of a game of chicken going on - Rodgers is going to keep hemming and hawing about retirement, waiting to see what the Guter is going to do about Bakh, Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan, and Lewis. (Makes me wonder - are any of those players on Rodgers's list "must haves"? Are there any he'd be okay without? Like, say, if they re-sign Cobb, can he live without them signing Tonyan? I suspect his good friends Cobb and Lewis are of key importance to Rodgers, but I don't know.)

I do think Rodgers loves all this cat-and-mouse stuff.

Its also possible he realizes he is out and he has no real say in it. He may be approaching it this way to make it look like his idea. Or if not his idea, that he OK'd it. If he throws a tantrum on the way out ala Favre then he takes a big PR hit. He said himself that he is already taking a hit from endorsements and such because of his "divisive" stances. He is a sharp guy and probably realizes that the public perception of him will determine his profile for many years after he is done and he wants that to be as positive as possible.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2023, 07:30 PM
Moneyline on who Rodgers will play for in 2023:

Packers -115
Jets +115
Raiders +750
Colts +1000
Dolphins +1200
Patriots +1500
Titans +1500
Commanders +1800

Those are comforting odds. Are there no odds for "the field" - Broncos, Cowboys, Bears, Buccaneers, Vikings, Panthers, etc.? I, of course, don't think Rodgers is going anyplace, but most of those and maybe others are as likely as the ones listed.

texaspackerbacker
01-28-2023, 07:56 PM
It is a valid point that maybe Rodgers' bad season - relatively - means he has less leverage in having the team make decisions. I would argue, though, that all of those players listed with the possible exception of Cobb were logical decisions for the Packer brass to keep/sign last season independent of pleasing Rodgers. Going forward, keeping Lewis at the same price, Tonyan for a reasonable amount, Lazard unless the price gets ridiculous, Cobb cut and re-signed for not much over the vet minimum, and whatever regarding Bakhtiari depending on what they think he has left would still be smart decisions.

Some people in here seem to think they not only know what's in Rodgers' head and that they're smarter than the Packer decision makers. They don't and they aren't.

The jklowan post above apparently is 100% factual. Based on what it says, though, IMO it is a helluva lot more reason to keep Rodgers than to trade him. "The acquiring team pays less to have Aaron Rodgers ON their team in 2023 and 2024 than when he is no longer there." - Yes. And "The overall cap cost would be about $94.2M for two years of work and four years of cap hits. That is about the overall going rate for quarterbacks these days, but the way it hits the cap is unique." Yes, again, but that only makes it bad if those 3rd and 4th years are for nothing. If Rodgers at age 42 or 43 is still playing at or above what Brady was at that age, it's a great thing - great for some other team if the boneheads in here get their wish; Great for the Packers if things go as I (and probably LaFleur/Guteknst/etc.) expect.

It all boils down to if you think Rodgers is gonna play as bad or worse going forward as last season OR if you think - as I obviously do - that Rodgers will play at least as good as Brady did at the same age. And I ask again, WHY WOULDN'T HE????

sharpe1027
01-28-2023, 09:06 PM

It all boils down to if you think Rodgers is gonna play as bad or worse going forward as last season OR if you think - as I obviously do - that Rodgers will play at least as good as Brady did at the same age. And I ask again, WHY WOULDN'T HE????

When did Brady have a similar dropoff in play like Rodgers just had? Not asking or interested in excuses, just a straight answer.

Spoiler alert, never.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2023, 10:13 PM
When did Brady have a similar dropoff in play like Rodgers just had? Not asking or interested in excuses, just a straight answer.

Spoiler alert, never.

Eh... last year in NE he ended with a playoff pick.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2023, 01:08 AM

Spoiler alert, never.

That's the point. Brady - who isn't near as athletic as Rodgers, even the haters and shitheads should admit that - didn't drop off until this year at age 45. Rodgers' bad year clearly was due to injury. his own and others, as well as inexperienced WRs. All of that should not be the case next season, so WHY would some idiots think his bad play - which really wasn't even that bad - would continue?

HarveyWallbangers
01-29-2023, 01:50 AM
That's the point. Brady - who isn't near as athletic as Rodgers, even the haters and shitheads should admit that - didn't drop off until this year at age 45. Rodgers' bad year clearly was due to injury. his own and others, as well as inexperienced WRs. All of that should not be the case next season, so WHY would some idiots think his bad play - which really wasn't even that bad - would continue?

Don't you think this is kind of obvious? Mobility was never a part of Brady's game, so he aged better than any QB in NFL history. A big part of Rodgers success was predicated on it. Think about how much it would affect Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, if they lost their legs.

Fritz
01-29-2023, 08:41 AM
Its also possible he realizes he is out and he has no real say in it. He may be approaching it this way to make it look like his idea. Or if not his idea, that he OK'd it. If he throws a tantrum on the way out ala Favre then he takes a big PR hit. He said himself that he is already taking a hit from endorsements and such because of his "divisive" stances. He is a sharp guy and probably realizes that the public perception of him will determine his profile for many years after he is done and he wants that to be as positive as possible.

Maybe. But the Rodgers I think I know wouldn't capitulate so easily. He'd be threatening retirement, hinting that he might retire rather than play for anyone else. That would turn off the trade talks, if there are any, and give the Packers less leverage in terms of getting anything for him. But then you'd have a Farve-ish situation, and you are right, I think, that Rodgers is aware of and concerned about how his image looks in the world.

King Friday
01-29-2023, 09:05 AM

Because name me a QB other than Brady who has excelled after 40. Rodgers doesn’t have the work ethic that Brady does. He doesn’t have the focus either. Comparing Rodgers to Brady is always going to be a losing proposition for the “let’s keep Rodgers 3 more years crowd. I’ve not heard Brady ever come out and demand that “his guys” need to be on the team for him to be successful. Sure, he’s worked in the background to bring guys to NE and Tampa, but this ridiculous need for “friends” from Rodgers goes to show how truly weak he is mentally. Meanwhile, while Lazard was running open on the final offensive play of the season, Rodgers decided to toss up a pathetic moon shot that was easily intercepted. Glad he really needs a guy like Lazard on the team.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2023, 10:23 AM
Too many to mention one by one. Here is a link for you. https://www.sportscasting.com/oldest-nfl-quarterbacks/

Brady's work ethic better than Rodgers? That's completely unproven. I guess Rodgers shoulda kept his thumb in better shape by training and exercise huh? hahahaha Focus? Come on hahaha - ya'all haters swallow the shit like it's gospel. It ain't. It's media assholes stirring up trouble.

As for your "friends" stupidity, I read what he said on MacAfee too. Are you seriously claiming that Marcedes Lewis for just a million or so a year is not a plus for the team? That Tonyan if healthy is not a plus if we keep him for a reasonable amount? Apparently Rodgers thinks Bakhtiari is a plus, so I guess I better get on board about him too hahahaha. Cobb? He shouldn't be getting $6-7 million, but as a 5th or 6th WR, he's better than most. And as I said, Lazard for less than a ridiculous price is clearly a plus too. All of that is Rodgers merely stating the obvious. Do ya'all haters seriously dispute any of that?

run pMc
01-29-2023, 11:31 AM
Brady had a sizeable dropoff this year; akin to his last year in NE but I'd argue with much better skill players and surrounding talent. Their OL had a rash of injuries and a retirement, which hurt him, and their run game wasn't good either. They were still pretty good with Evans, Godwin, Julio, and Russell Gage. My kneejerk impression is that if you put Rodgers on that team with that defense and I think they win 1-2 more games.

Brady threw 733 times this season, that's an ungodly amount. Rodgers threw 542 by comparison. Brady's Y/A and ANY/A and Y/C were all lower than Rodgers, and he threw one less TD. Unbelievable amount of dinking and dunking, but that's always been his game -- get the ball out fast and let the receivers (Welker, Edelman, James White, Gronk) go to work.
Gronk's retirement and Fournette's regression hurt him in TB.

Both Rodgers and Brady were meh at best.

run pMc
01-29-2023, 11:51 AM
Too many to mention one by one. Here is a link for you. https://www.sportscasting.com/oldest-nfl-quarterbacks/

Brady's work ethic better than Rodgers? That's completely unproven. I guess Rodgers shoulda kept his thumb in better shape by training and exercise huh? hahahaha Focus? Come on hahaha - ya'all haters swallow the shit like it's gospel. It ain't. It's media assholes stirring up trouble.

As for your "friends" stupidity, I read what he said on MacAfee too. Are you seriously claiming that Marcedes Lewis for just a million or so a year is not a plus for the team? That Tonyan if healthy is not a plus if we keep him for a reasonable amount? Apparently Rodgers thinks Bakhtiari is a plus, so I guess I better get on board about him too hahahaha. Cobb? He shouldn't be getting $6-7 million, but as a 5th or 6th WR, he's better than most. And as I said, Lazard for less than a ridiculous price is clearly a plus too. All of that is Rodgers merely stating the obvious. Do ya'all haters seriously dispute any of that?

Weird link - a lot of these guys were clearly washed their last season, or were career backups or never-were's. Vince Evans had a few good years, and I enjoyed some of the Joe Ferguson years but they weren't exactly elite QBs by their later 30's. I'll pick on Ferguson a little -- his last year as a fulll-time ish starter was his age 34 season and he threw 12 TDs and 17 INTs.
Here are his career stats:
186 G, 79-92-0 QBrec, 52.4% Cmp%, 29817 Yds, 6.6 Y/A, 196 TDs, 209 Int

yes, it was the 70's and 80's, but those aren't HOF numbers. I'd be wary of that link you posted. It's pretty misleading.

Let's pick another QB -- how about Drew Brees?
He's HOF worthy, but I don't think anyone in this forum thought he had an arm in his last 2 seasons. He was a quick processer and fairly accurate, but the only thing we feared was him completing his 500th straight 8 yard slant to Michael Thomas, or a dump off to Kamara that he'd turn into 20 yards by forcing half of Pettine's defense to miss tackles. His last season was his age 41 year and he was clearly washed by then -- he was playing the dink and dunk game also and was also hurt quite a bit. Old guys get hurt more easily and take longer to heal. Taysom Hill played QB a few games that season as his backup and did almost as well, and nobody thinks he is a starter-level QB.

Point is, QBs can make it to 40 in the NFL, but you don't really want them playing unless you have no choice, because with very few exceptions they won't be very good... and banking on your QB being an exception is a risky bet, highly unlikely to pay off. I mean, nobody fears Joe Flacco (who has a SB ring), and that dude isn't even 39.

As for Rodgers 'friends', I would keep Bakh but the rest are replaceable. Big Dog is a nice player, the vet minimum -- if he's interested in taking that -- is about $1.2M. Ok, but why not just play one of your young 6th OL if you're just going to block? Tonyan & Lazard are nice players but I think they are what they are, and Lazard will get money elsewhere in the FA market (good for him). Tonyan comes back if he's cheap, but then their TE room is the same as last year -- uninspiring and aging -- and it still doesn't give them a long-term solution there. Cobb is a nice guy but can't stay healthy, isn't explosive, and just getting by on guile. You need your 5th and 6th WRs to be ST contributors, he's probably gone. Crosby is a good K but his leg is about done. Anything over 50 yards is a coin flip, and he can't kick a touchback.
I wouldn't go out of my way to keep Rodgers 'friends'; if they wanted to come back for cheap then I'd consider it but I'd be fine shopping elsewhere for cheaper players with higher upside.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2023, 12:50 PM
I guess I'm not gonna knock Bakhtiari anymore since Rodgers thinks so highly of him. Lewis, that's exactly what he's getting and likely will continue to get. Cobb if he gets cut and re-signs for the vet minimum as a 5th or 6th WR? Is that a problem to the haters? You're SURE that Lazard is going elsewhere huh? I suspect the Packers have a number they are willing to pay him. Maybe somebody else will beat that number, maybe not, and maybe a team bidding ridiculously for him would end up regretting it. I put it at 55/45 he stays a Packer. Tonyan if fairly cheap? Yeah that's true. I expect him to be at least a little better, and I don't expect another team to pay so much that the Packers let him go. I tend to think we draft a TE fairly high. I've never been much thrilled with DeGuara, but he probably stays. I can't even think of the 4th guy's name right now, but he probably is replaced by a draft pick. The way the Packers used TEs, that probably enough.

Granted, several of the 16 over 40 QBs listed were not much in their best years, much less over 40, but the dumbass said "name one". I guess he couldn't even remember Favre hahahaha. Rodgers has a lot sturdier body and stronger arm than Brees had even at a younger age. The point, even with the slugs on the list, is that they didn't drop off a whole lot until the very end, and then it was sometimes injuries - P. Manning and I think Brees. Another thing about the list, QB is a lot different position nowadays rule-wise, conditioning-wise, game style in general than when Starr and Unitas were around, and even they played to pretty old ages, albeit not 40.

Old guys get hurt easier? I'll leave it to somebody else to do some research, but that doesn't quite ring true - thinking of Mahomes, Hurts, L. Jackson, etc. in the past few years compared to Rodgers and Brady.

King Friday
01-29-2023, 12:55 PM
I clearly said EXCELLED, not just played. You are just too much of a dumbass to be able to read and comprehend the English language.

The bottom line is that there isn’t a QB other than Brady who has played at anything near an elite level after 40. Favre is probably the best of the rest, and he had one good year. Saying that Rodgers will absolutely do something because Tom Brady has done it has no credibility. No one else has ever done what Brady has, and it is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone else will for quite awhile.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-29-2023, 01:31 PM
The Packers screwed up big time not trading AROD last year. DON'T make the same mistake this year. I, for one, would rather start over from scratch than watch this ongoing soap opera..

George Cumby
01-29-2023, 01:45 PM
The Packers screwed up big time not trading AROD last year. DON'T make the same mistake this year. I, for one, would rather start over from scratch than watch this ongoing soap opera..

Yes.

It's so fucking tired. "Will he or won't he?"

Kaaron, don't go away mad, just go away.

sharpe1027
01-29-2023, 03:35 PM

You just made the argument for why the comparison isn't good. The main problem with age is losing athleticism. Rodgers has more to lose from his game through getting older precisely because he was more athletic than Brady.

What's also concerning to me from this year was Rodgers's decision making. To many missed chances, whereas Brady is usually rock solid in making the right reads.

Anyone else notice Rodgers's deep balls were floating and seemed to lack zip?

bobblehead
01-29-2023, 03:44 PM
Because name me a QB other than Brady who has excelled after 40. Rodgers doesn’t have the work ethic that Brady does. He doesn’t have the focus either. Comparing Rodgers to Brady is always going to be a losing proposition for the “let’s keep Rodgers 3 more years crowd. I’ve not heard Brady ever come out and demand that “his guys” need to be on the team for him to be successful. Sure, he’s worked in the background to bring guys to NE and Tampa, but this ridiculous need for “friends” from Rodgers goes to show how truly weak he is mentally. Meanwhile, while Lazard was running open on the final offensive play of the season, Rodgers decided to toss up a pathetic moon shot that was easily intercepted. Glad he really needs a guy like Lazard on the team.

Rodgers is a 39 year old man and trying to bond with a new group of 22 year olds isn't easy for him. That's his obsession with having "his guys" on the team I think. Mentally I think he is his age. Brady still thinks of himself as 25 years old.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2023, 03:47 PM
Edit: This was referring to Sharpe's post.

hahahahaha Interesting take. It's not exactly like Rodgers is Lamar Jackson or Hurts, athleticism-wise. I see your point - that Brady has less to lose/Rodgers more. Rodgers could lose his athleticism by half and still be more athletic than Brady, but it's not the primary factor in success. Throwing is, of course. If Rodgers was floating deep throws or whatever just because of age weakening his arm, you might have a point. He was really humming it at times too, though. It seems pretty obvious that the occasional bad ball was related to the thumb injury.

I still haven't read any good reason to assume Rodgers is not gonna have a major bounce back next season and probably be good for a few years to come, and it better happen with the Packers - as I'm confident it will, despite stupid media shit and poster shit to the contrary.

sharpe1027
01-29-2023, 03:59 PM

hahahahaha Interesting take. It's not exactly like Rodgers is Lamar Jackson or Hurts, athleticism-wise. I see your point - that Brady has less to lose/Rodgers more. Rodgers could lose his athleticism by half and still be more athletic than Brady, but it's not the primary factor in success. Throwing is, of course. If Rodgers was floating deep throws or whatever just because of age weakening his arm, you might have a point. He was really humming it at times too, though. It seems pretty obvious that the occasional bad ball was related to the thumb injury.

I still haven't read any good reason to assume Rodgers is not gonna have a major bounce back next season and probably be good for a few years to come, and it better happen with the Packers - as I'm confident it will, despite stupid media shit and poster shit to the contrary.

I don't doubt he'll be better. He was bad enough to expect they'll be a regression to the mean. I also don't think his ceiling is all that great anymore.

That being said, what reason is there to believe he won't get injured again? Injuries are certainly a bigger risk as he gets older.

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 04:00 PM

I agree TB has a better work ethic, and is a much better leader than Rodgers

It's a GM's job as to whether he wants to keep Lewis as opposed to drafting a guy with much more upside, or keep Randall Cobb versus a younger guy.

Rodgers just needs to SUAP. Shut Up And Play.

He's no longer wanted as an Assistant GM, he got what he wanted last year and kudos to him for getting a great contract for himself last year. Now just SUAP.

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 04:05 PM

I still haven't read any good reason to assume Rodgers is not gonna have a major bounce back next season and probably be good for a few years to come, and it better happen with the Packers - as I'm confident it will, despite stupid media shit and poster shit to the contrary.'

ALL of your points here are good. The thumb hurt AROD; in reality maybe he should have just got surgery and missed 4 games (we went 0-4 in that spurt anyways) but that's another debate as to why that didn't happen.

But odds are strong he has a much better year.

SO WHY........WHY......... couldn't he have come out, been a leader, and told all how excited he is to come back to Green Bay with all the talented youthful WR"s coming back next year ???

Sparkey
01-29-2023, 07:02 PM
Where there's smoke ....

https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-organization-prefers-move-potential-154813568.html

Joemailman
01-29-2023, 07:35 PM
Where there's smoke ....

https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-organization-prefers-move-potential-154813568.html

Maybe, but much of that article could have been written last year.

Bretsky
01-29-2023, 07:42 PM
Maybe, but much of that article could have been written last year.

The Packers and Sharon have a different feel than last year

LAST YEAR; we'll suck on your nuts and give you everything you want including a contract that really is not in our teams best interests. Take a vacation, wash the demons out of your soul, and show up whenever you want and we'll bring all your cronies with us

THIS YEAR- Let us know if you want to play for the Green Bay Packers after taking some time. What we did last year didn't work well so we're not dialing back the clock and bringing all of the cronies back. And if you return we really hope you are all in, spend some time with the younger receivers in the OTA's, and be a leader.

I don't think Rodgers embraces much of what Gute wants right now

Joemailman
01-29-2023, 07:51 PM
I agree it feels different this year, but Rodgers is still in the driver's seat. If he wants to come back he'll be back.

red
01-29-2023, 08:03 PM
Where there's smoke ....

shefter doesn't know any more then you or I or any of these other slap nuts on here know

but i sure hope its true

red
01-29-2023, 08:07 PM
I agree it feels different this year, but Rodgers is still in the driver's seat. If he wants to come back he'll be back.

does he?

what happens if he doesn't retire, and won't except a trade, but the team doesn't want him back (not saying that would happen). what happens if the team refuses to pay the option bonus, or roster bonus or whatever it is?

i assume he becomes a free agent?

does anyone know for sure?

RashanGary
01-29-2023, 09:02 PM
does he?

what happens if he doesn't retire, and won't except a trade, but the team doesn't want him back (not saying that would happen). what happens if the team refuses to pay the option bonus, or roster bonus or whatever it is?

i assume he becomes a free agent?

does anyone know for sure?

Pretty sure they’re guaranteed bonuses

red
01-29-2023, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure they’re guaranteed bonuses

well they count all bonuses as guaranteed these days, even though only the signing bonus is only ever fully guaranteed

if its an option bonus, then they don't have to pick up the option

if its a roster bonus, that means he has to be on the roster for it to kick in, if he's released, no bonus

tis is why its so confusing. this is from spotrac

$101.515M guaranteed at signing (2022 salary, 2022 roster bonus, 2023 salary, 2023 option bonus)
2022 Roster Bonus: $40.8M (fully guaranteed, treated as signing bonus, $20.4M paid 6/20/22, $20.4M paid 9/30/22)
2023 Option Bonus: $58.3M (guaranteed, must be exercised between March 17, 2023 - Week 1)
Declining either of the 2023-2024 options converts the base salary for that year into the bonus figure ($58.3M, $47M respectively)

i'd like to know what fucking moron came up with this shit. almost looks like eric came up with it to prove how smart he is, but its just a bunch of jumbled up numbers

red
01-29-2023, 09:20 PM
this might be the best article yet for explaining the mess

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers

just a shit show. who gave him this shit? fire them immediately

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2023, 10:42 PM
I am unclear what the purpose of the option bonuses was and what they give the Packers in terms of flexibility.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 08:19 AM
I am unclear what the purpose of the option bonuses was and what they give the Packers in terms of flexibility.

I am unclear why we did not trade AROD before that horrible contract..

run pMc
01-30-2023, 08:47 AM

Two consecutive MVP awards, Rodgers probably badgering for a new "commitment" from the FO.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 09:44 AM

Because they like winning football games and chasing super bowls? I highly doubt many if any league executives would have dealt him then, and I'm not so sure very many would deal him now.

sharpe1027
01-30-2023, 10:10 AM

The options provide some assurance against his early retirement and are a way to allow for a trade this year without an enormous cap hit in one year, all while still having guranteed money for him if he shows up and plays.

Joemailman
01-30-2023, 10:22 AM
Because they like winning football games and chasing super bowls? I highly doubt many if any league executives would have dealt him then, and I'm not so sure very many would deal him now.

Most wouldn't now because they don't have a plan for what to do after their great QB is gone or no longer great. But the Packers did have a plan. It's now time to admit they were wrong and abandon the plan, or execute the plan.

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2023, 10:25 AM

Because the people running the team are not total dumbasses like you.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 10:33 AM

So how is that working out for them?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 10:34 AM
Because the people running the team are not total dumbasses like you.

Management sure looks like the total dumbasses now...huh..

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 10:40 AM
https://thejetpress.com/posts/3-trade-packages-ny-jets-aaron-rodgers/3

run pMc
01-30-2023, 10:59 AM
People are talking about a Rodgers trade because someone else is talking about a Rodgers trade.
I'm not sure it will happen, but if it does I could see the picks being conditional on his performance and how many years he plays. If he only plays one more year a team is less likely to want to take that contract.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 12:22 PM
So how is that working out for them?

I mean... what is the expectation? It worked out pretty well going to the NFCC three of the last four years.

Management sure looks like the total dumbasses now...huh..

Do you really think that, though? I guess it really depends if people think 'Rod is washed. If teams are willing to trade for him, then clearly other teams do not. Do the Packers? I don't think they do.

What reason do you think the management looks bad? I think they are in a very advantageous position that many teams would long for. They have a young up and comer that they allegedly believe in, and they have a 4x MVP one year removed from back-to-back MVPs that went through an injury plagued rebuilding year. They can trade either of those players for assets to help the rebuild.

What, exactly, looks dumb about that?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 12:47 PM
I mean... what is the expectation? It worked out pretty well going to the NFCC three of the last four years.

Do you really think that, though? I guess it really depends if people think 'Rod is washed. If teams are willing to trade for him, then clearly other teams do not. Do the Packers? I don't think they do.

What reason do you think the management looks bad? I think they are in a very advantageous position that many teams would long for. They have a young up and comer that they allegedly believe in, and they have a 4x MVP one year removed from back-to-back MVPs that went through an injury plagued rebuilding year. They can trade either of those players for assets to help the rebuild.

What, exactly, looks dumb about that?

The cap hell we are in, one of the largest in NFL history, an average team going downhill, not uphill, and my constant expectation of going the other way.

Joemailman
01-30-2023, 01:10 PM
The cap hell we are in, one of the largest in NFL history, an average team going downhill, not uphill, and my constant expectation of going the other way.

What? There are currently 7 teams in the NFL that are more over the cap than the Packers. Packers have some issues, but they're not burning the house down.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-30-2023, 01:21 PM
What? There are currently 7 teams in the NFL that are more over the cap than the Packers. Packers have some issues, but they're not burning the house down.

The article I saw said we are 4th in Cap Hell. For sure on the wrong end of where we want to be to compete for a title..

Another view..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2022/12/02/the-green-bay-packers-future-looks-just-as-bleak-as-the-present/?sh=35adf506583d

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2023, 01:22 PM
There's not gonna be a trade. Those articles by media pukes in New York are wishful thinking on their part and just stirring up trouble by the rest of the bastards, and idiotic thinking by those in here getting all hopeful.

As for the imbecile worried about "cap hell", I guess he didn't get the word about recent cap increase.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 01:41 PM

Okay, I reiterate again that they have had extreme success the past few years so they were highly likely to go down a little bit. That' reality.

Cap hell? Virtually any team with a QB on a non-rookie-deal during the 2020 and 2021 season has some cap shenanigans to deal with because of the pandemic and cap staying lower than they expected. Someday they're gonna have to pay the piper but so what. If they had a garbage team or something as you allege, they wouldn't be in cap hell.

You didn't actually address any of the point. What's so bad about their QB situation? They don't have Pat Mahomes or Josh Allen or Cincy Kid but I think most teams are enviable of their spot. They have the flexibility to go for it or reboot, and hopefully come out okay either way.

I don't know what I think anymore, but I think there is a reasonably good chance they move on from Love and just pay ARod the next two years.

run pMc
01-30-2023, 03:25 PM
The last few years have featured QBs on rookie contracts or team-friendly contracts making hay in the playoffs. Burrow, Hurts, and Purdy are on rookie deals, and Mahomes signed a supposedly team-friendly contract. Take that for what it's worth. I think having that cap space means you can spend it on surrounding talent.

I don't think Schefter knows anything more than the rest of us. Maybe he heard an opinion from one source affiliated with the team, but that might be Joe Asst Ballboy. Rodgers holds some leverage here because he gets his 59M option if he plays next year. He also gets it if he's cut (which absolutely won't happen). He doesn't get it if he retires though, so he could threaten to retire if he doesn't like the trade destination -- he doesn't have a no-trade clause, but a retirement threat effectively becomes one. The team holds some leverage because they can trade him, but that's really it.

Agree with others that he had a bad year and a regression to the mean is to be expected, but I don't think it will be much above his admittedly good mean. He might be good enough to get to the playoffs for another year or two, but I don't believe he has anymore MVP magic left in him. Whether his 'good enough' is enough to get far into a crappy NFC and be worth his contract is an important part of the debate from team-building/roster talent & depth perspectives. And yes, as players age the injuries accumulate and make it tougher to stay healthy. Break your thumb or blow out your knee and it might be 'ok', but still never feel right or work the same again.

Publicly they are making it sound like any split would be amicable, and (beyond retirement) the team's decision. I don't think it's really smart to bring back most of these old guys.
I'd rather draft a WR and bring back Nixon to return kicks, which removes the need for Cobb. MVS got 3/$30M, I wouldn't be surprised if Lazard got the same; I'd expect at least 3/20M... which is going to be too much for GB and their cap situation. They'll let him go for the compensatory pick. They will absolutely draft a TE, so at least one of Tonyan/Lewis/Davis are gone.

Fritz
01-30-2023, 05:14 PM
Okay, I reiterate again that they have had extreme success the past few years so they were highly likely to go down a little bit. That' reality.

Cap hell? Virtually any team with a QB on a non-rookie-deal during the 2020 and 2021 season has some cap shenanigans to deal with because of the pandemic and cap staying lower than they expected. Someday they're gonna have to pay the piper but so what. If they had a garbage team or something as you allege, they wouldn't be in cap hell.

You didn't actually address any of the point. What's so bad about their QB situation? They don't have Pat Mahomes or Josh Allen or Cincy Kid but I think most teams are enviable of their spot. They have the flexibility to go for it or reboot, and hopefully come out okay either way.

I don't know what I think anymore, but I think there is a reasonably good chance they move on from Love and just pay ARod the next two years.

This is the problem. Once you move on from Love, what are you left with? Hate, bitterness, anger, despair. And this is what another year - or two - of Rodgers will bring. Will he retire? Is he mad that they're not resigning his best friend _____ or that they're cutting his new best friend _____? Will he manipulate the situation to get more - more roster moves he likes? A coaching hire he wants? It's all going to keep getting nastier and uglier, without Love.

Love IS the answer.

And if Love sucks (and really, love should mean swallowing, too), then what have you lost? Another year or two of he said/she said? More injuries and passive aggressive posturing?

Sparkey
01-30-2023, 05:17 PM
March 15TH, All teams need to be under the 2023 cap of 224.8 million. ( slight per team adjustments due to prior year carryover )

Fritz
01-30-2023, 05:31 PM
March 15TH, All teams need to be under the 2023 cap of 224.8 million. ( slight per team adjustments due to prior year carryover )

Realistically - what are the chances that Rodgers leads a team - any team - to a Super Bowl next year?

Really. Keep him? What are the odds he gets the Packers to a Super Bowl? Slim and none, I'd venture.

But don't trade him cuz you're worried he's going to take another team to a Super Bowl? Really? He's going to lead the Jets/Raiders/Titans/Dolphins/Cowboys anybody past Mahomes or Burrow or Allen or Hurts? His best chance - his only chance - would be with the 49ers, whose defense is so good that the third-string QB almost got them there. The third. String. Quarterback.

Jared Goff outplayed him in the last game of a must-win.

Trade his ass.

Fritz
01-30-2023, 05:33 PM
Oh - and this is for Tex - anybody who doesn't agree with me is a dumb-ass shithead puke who licks Rodgers's schnuttz and doesn't have a backbone, goddammit. Probably isn't even a real American.

sharpe1027
01-30-2023, 06:00 PM
The truth is usually I'm the middle somewhere.

There's plenty of reason to believe Rodgers will have a better year. You just have to look at the history and see that the one year is the exception to the rule.

There's also plenty of reason to believe the Packers have little chance of winning the Super Bowl. You just have to look at the history and see that the one year is the exception to the rule.

Having established that it's by far the most likely scenario that the Packers flame out early in the playoffs next year, there's an argument for being bold and trading him to try and put themselves in the best position to win it all in a few years.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 07:03 PM
Hell hath no fury like a pissed off ARod. Hopefully he’s lifting heavy and putting in the work pissed off at the haters and doubters

Joemailman
01-30-2023, 07:12 PM
Hell hath no fury like a pissed off ARod. Hopefully he’s lifting heavy and putting in the work pissed off at the haters and doubters

Doubtful. He's playing at Pebble Beach this week.

Rastak
01-30-2023, 08:10 PM
Oh - and this is for Tex - anybody who doesn't agree with me is a dumb-ass shithead puke who licks Rodgers's schnuttz and doesn't have a backbone, goddammit. Probably isn't even a real American.

Go Fritz. Hope you are doing well. Sure will be an interesting offseason.

George Cumby
01-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Here's another one for Tex.

If everyone else is an asshole, maybe you're the asshole.

NewsBruin
01-30-2023, 09:23 PM

I hope so, too. I just don't think he'll be able to put together an entire All-Pro-quality season from hurt feelings.

bobblehead
01-30-2023, 09:41 PM
Doubtful. He's playing at Pebble Beach this week.

But is he carrying his own bag? It could be a clue the media needs to blow this even more out of proportion.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2023, 10:36 PM
I hope so, too. I just don't think he'll be able to put together an entire All-Pro-quality season from hurt feelings.

IMO he looked slow and out of shape. I believe that is fixable and he shouldn't have dropped off that much. He needs to hit the weight room and hit the legs hard. If he is getting traded, you know he is gonna put up filthy nasty numbers and probably be right up there in MVP votes.

texaspackerbacker
01-31-2023, 12:10 AM

hahahahahahaha Be careful with that political shit - we don't wanna get burned or anything.

About that Super Bowl thing, what was your opinion about those odds before the '21 and '22 seasons - after going 13-3 or whatever? Myself, I'm not that hung up on that one game anyway. I'd be very pleased with another 13-4 or something like that even with an early out in the playoffs. You seriously don't think a healthy Rodgers and improved young receivers could bring us that? Why the hell not? Getting rid of Barry would help too, but I could see the Packers having a high winning percentage like that and a definite maybe to go all the way to the Super Bowl with Rodgers even without canning Barry.

It honestly hadn't even crossed my mind about Rodgers taking somebody else to the SB, but since you mentioned it, it wouldn't be impossible. I don't worry about that, though, because I'm fairly certain he doesn't get traded. I'd worry a helluva lot more about the Packers floundering for the next 5 or 10 years if they did get rid of him. That seems to go right over ya'all's heads, almost like you want the stupidity of a rebuild.

Fritz
01-31-2023, 09:32 AM
The truth is usually I'm the middle somewhere.

There's plenty of reason to believe Rodgers will have a better year. You just have to look at the history and see that the one year is the exception to the rule.

There's also plenty of reason to believe the Packers have little chance of winning the Super Bowl. You just have to look at the history and see that the one year is the exception to the rule.

Having established that it's by far the most likely scenario that the Packers flame out early in the playoffs next year, there's an argument for being bold and trading him to try and put themselves in the best position to win it all in a few years.

Totally get what you're saying. And yes, Rodgers may well have a better year next year. Very possible.

But even that very likely doesn't get them far, so then you go into the next offseason with all the same drama hanging over your head again - will he or won't he? Is he unhappy?

I just don't see that even a bounce-back year is going to be enough to get the Packers to the promised land, and it will inevitable, no matter how he plays, fan the flames of discontent and rumors again next year.

So I say let's just move on.

NewsBruin
01-31-2023, 01:55 PM
hahahahahahaha Be careful with that political shit - we don't wanna get burned or anything.

About that Super Bowl thing, what was your opinion about those odds before the '21 and '22 seasons - after going 13-3 or whatever? Myself, I'm not that hung up on that one game anyway. I'd be very pleased with another 13-4 or something like that even with an early out in the playoffs. You seriously don't think a healthy Rodgers and improved young receivers could bring us that? Why the hell not? Getting rid of Barry would help too, but I could see the Packers having a high winning percentage like that and a definite maybe to go all the way to the Super Bowl with Rodgers even without canning Barry.

It honestly hadn't even crossed my mind about Rodgers taking somebody else to the SB, but since you mentioned it, it wouldn't be impossible. I don't worry about that, though, because I'm fairly certain he doesn't get traded. I'd worry a helluva lot more about the Packers floundering for the next 5 or 10 years if they did get rid of him. That seems to go right over ya'all's heads, almost like you want the stupidity of a rebuild.

Why would the Packers flounder for 5-10 years without Rodgers and carry on fine if he stays the length of his contract?

If Rodgers got hit by a bus, then we'd have to start Love. Is Love not a starting-caliber QB? Will MaLF not be able to tailor a game plan to his limited strengths? If not, then the only reason to extend him would be for a trade. Are you saying our young WRs need Rodgers to develop into competent receivers? If so, we need Rodgers to commit to OTAs. Is Rodgers going to convince offensive free agents to offer a discount double-check? Is our team going to stock better draft talent with Rodgers taking us to four consecutive Super Bowls than what we'd get as the first-eliminated NFC North team? Does Rodgers enhance our run game? Does the entire defense collapse into a despondent morass since ARod is no longer on the practice field? How does it all work?

Fritz
01-31-2023, 02:34 PM
Go Fritz. Hope you are doing well. Sure will be an interesting offseason.

Thanks, Ras. I'm hanging by a thread, but I'm still hanging. Hope you're doing well, too.

And yes, it will be an interesting offseason. How does it feel to be a fan of the stable, winning, not-a-lot-of-drama-these-days franchise?

ThunderDan
01-31-2023, 02:50 PM
So here is a question for Tex.

From today's Arod segment on McAfee, When referring to the trade rumors, Rodgers told McAfee, "It sounds like there's already conversations going on that aren't involving me, which are interesting."

So now ARod is apparently believing/using the media puke shitholes to advance this rumor.

Does that mean Arod is now part of the shithead PackerRats club/group that quote what we hear from media sources on here?

run pMc
01-31-2023, 03:44 PM
Yes, yes it does. ;)
Don't care about McAfee, don't watch him. Might just be sarcasm?

Here's a dirty not-so-secret: if you're posting any links from or reading any halfway decent GB site, it's using info that is coming from a media puke as opposed to a conspiracy theory made up by some kook in his basement. Rodgers might be a weirdo, but he's not stupid.

Rodgers is right when he said it's all just conjecture right now. There won't be any decisions or moves made until after the Super Bowl, unless it's Rodgers retiring.

ThunderDan
01-31-2023, 03:55 PM
Yes, yes it does. ;)
Don't care about McAfee, don't watch him. Might just be sarcasm?

Here's a dirty not-so-secret: if you're posting any links from or reading any halfway decent GB site, it's using info that is coming from a media puke as opposed to a conspiracy theory made up by some kook in his basement. Rodgers might be a weirdo, but he's not stupid.

Rodgers is right when he said it's all just conjecture right now. There won't be any decisions or moves made until after the Super Bowl, unless it's Rodgers retiring.

I just find it funny how Tex hates all the media and members of PackerRats that don't 100% back Arod. Then Arod goes on McAfee and uses the media to have his unchallenged side of any situation aired. Now, ARod is talking about the rumors the media guys that Tex hates said. Which should put ARod in the same camp as a bunch of us on here apparently.

ThunderDan
01-31-2023, 03:58 PM
Rodgers might be a weirdo, but he's not stupid.

100% agree. Arod is amazing at manipulating the media to do exactly what he wants.

I'll say it here again, I don't blame ARod for getting every dollar that he can from the organization. But he really needs to stop pretending to be the Asst GM of the team.

sharpe1027
01-31-2023, 08:29 PM
100% agree. Arod is amazing at manipulating the media to do exactly what he wants.

I'll say it here again, I don't blame ARod for getting every dollar that he can from the organization. But he really needs to stop pretending to be the Asst GM of the team.

Honestly, I don't see the brilliance. He's managed to annoy one of the most loyal fanbases with his media statements. People are tired of him. Doesn't seem all that brilliant.

NewsBruin
01-31-2023, 08:47 PM
Rodgers (or his version of Bus Cook) goes go his favorite "scoop" reporters, tells them how much he doesn't like how he's being treated by the Packers, talks up his game-show-hosting prospects, and how he's willing to hold out. Then he shares some vacation photos and gets quoted by name saying he doesn't understand where the conflict is coming from and just wishes people would speak to him directly, rather than go through the media.

I don't like it, but he won't be the first or last celebrity/athlete to do this.

Bretsky
01-31-2023, 10:16 PM

From today's Arod segment on McAfee, When referring to the trade rumors, Rodgers told McAfee, "It sounds like there's already conversations going on that aren't involving me, which are interesting."

So now ARod is apparently believing/using the media puke shitholes to advance this rumor.

Does that mean Arod is now part of the shithead PackerRats club/group that quote what we hear from media sources on here?

GDam Media Whore SHARON Rodgers stirring up the pots with a bunch of no nothing ignorant made up bullshit. How the hell does he know there's trade conversations going on. Know nothing inaccurate rumor spreader !!!! LOL

MadScientist
01-31-2023, 10:17 PM

It's all a bunch of stupid bullshit. Given that the possibility exists that Rodgers would demand a trade, even if the Packers wanted him, the Packers need to be doing their due diligence now as to what trade teams are interested and what return they could get so they can get the best return. No sense or point involving Rodgers in those discussions.

Fritz
02-01-2023, 06:49 AM

That would be awesome - Tex starts hating on Aaron Rodgers for being stupid enough to believe all the media pukes making up trade crap about Aaron Rodgers, whom Tex will defend against the stupid media pukes.

Some of the media stuff - probably most of it - really is bullshit, though. They've got to get clicks. So they post articles with teaser headlines - "Packers Have Three Trade Packages for Rodgers on the Table," and then the article goes on to speculate and speculate about what packages the writer/speculator thinks the Packers could get, and where the writer/speculator thinks Rodgers could go.

Case in point: Romeo Doubs went on some radio show, and the hosts made a big damn deal that Doubs said he and Aaron Rodgers never hung out outside of the football field. The reporter asking the question acted all amazed and bug-eyed: "WHAT? You NEVER hung out?" Doubs tried to explain that they'd had a cool team function at Halloween, but it was all football between himself and Rodgers. But he seemed a little surprised at the hullabaloo - he's still just a young guy, after all, and probably doesn't quite understand that even a silent fart will be fanned into a forest fire by the media.

And Rodgers's response did make sense: He's 39, these young guys are fifteen or more years younger. They have different interests, different lives. I sure as hell wasn't doing at 39 what I was at 23. And thank god. Why should he have to hang out after hours with every single teammate?

Damn. I'm sounding a little like Tex here, with maybe fewer "shithead dumbasses" in there.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Brady says he's retiring. We'll see.

As for Rodgers and media, he definitely pays attention to it and is savvy enough to know how to manipulate it. The people with press credentials who get in the building aren't crackpots.
McAfee is just a platform for him to say whatever he wants without being questioned or challenged on it.

NewsBruin
02-01-2023, 08:21 AM
I don't give any credence to the "ARod would never retire the same year as Brady" talk; that sounds like fan-fiction from the back of someone's Trapper Keeper.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 08:49 AM
I don't give any credence to the "ARod would never retire the same year as Brady" talk; that sounds like fan-fiction from the back of someone's Trapper Keeper.

I believe it. You think Rodgers would want to be second fiddle on the HOF bill? He will absolutely want a spotlight, and he won't want to be "the other QB" going in the hall that year.

SudsMcBucky
02-01-2023, 09:06 AM
I believe it. You think Rodgers would want to be second fiddle on the HOF bill? He will absolutely want a spotlight, and he won't want to be "the other QB" going in the hall that year.

Completely agree with this.

call_me_ishmael
02-01-2023, 09:24 AM
Zero percent ARod retires now.

Packers
Niners
Jets
Cowboys

What other teams even make sense?

I know I have waffled a lot and will likely continue to do so. The AFC is stacked and I don't think he can win out in the AFC. Makes me think he is just gonna stay with the Packers or try to swing a trade to Dallas or SF. I doubt the Packers would do that, though.

Joemailman
02-01-2023, 09:50 AM
Zero percent ARod retires now.

Packers
Niners
Jets
Cowboys

What other teams even make sense?

I know I have waffled a lot and will likely continue to do so. The AFC is stacked and I don't think he can win out in the AFC. Makes me think he is just gonna stay with the Packers or try to swing a trade to Dallas or SF. I doubt the Packers would do that, though.

Zero chance of Dallas in my opinion. Rodgers mutinied against MM in 2018. Also, Dak's contract means Cowboys can't afford him. Why would Packers want to help 49ers with their QB problem? If 49ers think they have one. Jets make a lot of sense. I'm still looking at Raiders. Raiders have weapons, and will be 50 million under the cap after they cut/trade Carr.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 10:02 AM
Jets
Raiders
Bucs
Titans
Panthers

I think the Niners would be extremely unlikely unless Purdy's recovery is rough. GB would want to extract a pretty good haul from them, being SF, and they just don't have the picks after all their trades. Would require another team probably.
Jets are the most likely because they have a defense, skill players, and Hackett/Saleh.

Raiders are cutting Carr and with Brady retiring than opens up a potential trade for Waller and picks.
Bucs, like NYJ, have defense and skill players. Could be a legit contender if their OL gets healthy.
Titans unlikely because they probably have less talent than GB, Panthers have some pieces but don't have a QB.... both those teams are unlikely.

Lamar Jackson, David Carr and probably Tannehill are the likely QBs to maybe make the market. Dallas is tied to Dak and his contract for now, plus a MM reunion feels like a no.

There are other teams like the Texans and Colts, but Rodgers would likely threaten to retire before going there. Those teams are lacking talent and rebuilding, he wants no part of that.

Joemailman
02-01-2023, 10:28 AM
Jets
Raiders
Bucs
Titans
Panthers

I think the Niners would be extremely unlikely unless Purdy's recovery is rough. GB would want to extract a pretty good haul from them, being SF, and they just don't have the picks after all their trades. Would require another team probably.
Jets are the most likely because they have a defense, skill players, and Hackett/Saleh.

Raiders are cutting Carr and with Brady retiring than opens up a potential trade for Waller and picks.
Bucs, like NYJ, have defense and skill players. Could be a legit contender if their OL gets healthy.
Titans unlikely because they probably have less talent than GB, Panthers have some pieces but don't have a QB.... both those teams are unlikely.

Lamar Jackson, David Carr and probably Tannehill are the likely QBs to maybe make the market. Dallas is tied to Dak and his contract for now, plus a MM reunion feels like a no.

There are other teams like the Texans and Colts, but Rodgers would likely threaten to retire before going there. Those teams are lacking talent and rebuilding, he wants no part of that.

Bucs are 55 million over the cap. Panthers might not be a bad fit. However, Frank Reich has said he's looking for stability at the QB situation. Not sure they'd want a 39 year old Rodgers who might only play one year.

run pMc
02-01-2023, 10:31 AM
Bucs are 55 million over the cap. Panthers might not be a bad fit. However, Frank Reich has said he's looking for stability at the QB situation. Not sure they'd want a 39 year old Rodgers who might only play one year.

Good point about stability, and the Bucs cap. I didn't look at cap space, although that would obviously be an important piece of the puzzle.
If Rodgers is traded it has to be to a team with cap space, picks/players to trade, need for a QB, and enough talent on the roster to be a contender. Limits the number of teams, doesn't it.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2023, 11:42 AM
He wouldn’t go with M3 because if he had success everyone would say his whole career was due to M3.

Jets and Raiders only places that make sense and fit. I just can’t see Jets because Brett went there. Add in the cold weather that he no longer can handle well in GB. Just like in The Stand the Raiders situation is nearly screaming for Erin to come to Randall Flagg. Back near home, badass stadium in cool city, and with the Davante safety blanket he can’t go wrong.

Fritz
02-01-2023, 11:44 AM
Zero chance of Dallas in my opinion. Rodgers mutinied against MM in 2018. Also, Dak's contract means Cowboys can't afford him. Why would Packers want to help 49ers with their QB problem? If 49ers think they have one. Jets make a lot of sense. I'm still looking at Raiders. Raiders have weapons, and will be 50 million under the cap after they cut/trade Carr.

I don't know anything about what Carr's cap hit would be, or how long his contract is, but I suppose it's remotely possible, if the Packers really, really don't think Love is the guy, that they could first trade Love for what they can get, trade Rodgers for Carr, Waller, and picks, and commit to losing with Carr for a couple years while they look for a real QB. Would only work is Carr's contract is only for another year or two, tops, and even then, well, maybe it's too much cap space for QB's - one you'd have and one who'd be gone.

Wow. I just re-read what I wrote. I didn't pull that out of my ass, but it sure looks like I pulled it out of the back of my trapper keeper.

Pretty damn unlikely.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2023, 12:19 PM

I didn't see this until now. I also didn't see McAfee yesterday. It sounds a lot like runPmc said, Rodgers might have been being sarcastic. Apparently all of this shit started with Shefter, and then other media pukes parrotted him. It's all just a matter of click bait and/or stirring up trouble IMO. The ignoramuses seem oblivious to the contract terms that effectively prevent a trade.

Regarding what some in here have said - Rodgers won't go here or Rodgers won't go there, etc., it's been said, there is not a no trade clause, so it really doesn't make any difference whether he would want to go somewhere or not. And he has very little leverage to threaten to retire, as he would as I understand, be walking away from well over $60 million (the reason I absolutely love that glorious contract that the haters hate so much).

Bottom line is, he ain't going anywhere because the contract prevents a trade and strongly encourages him not to retire. And I strongly think LaFleur, Gutekunst, and Murphy planned it that way and are loving the result of their plan the same as I am - which will become completely justified next season when Rodgers takes the Packers to something like a 14-3 season.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2023, 12:35 PM
14-3 will justify it then a first round playoff exit will nullify it.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2023, 12:46 PM
That would be awesome - Tex starts hating on Aaron Rodgers for being stupid enough to believe all the media pukes making up trade crap about Aaron Rodgers, whom Tex will defend against the stupid media pukes.

Some of the media stuff - probably most of it - really is bullshit, though. They've got to get clicks. So they post articles with teaser headlines - "Packers Have Three Trade Packages for Rodgers on the Table," and then the article goes on to speculate and speculate about what packages the writer/speculator thinks the Packers could get, and where the writer/speculator thinks Rodgers could go.

Case in point: Romeo Doubs went on some radio show, and the hosts made a big damn deal that Doubs said he and Aaron Rodgers never hung out outside of the football field. The reporter asking the question acted all amazed and bug-eyed: "WHAT? You NEVER hung out?" Doubs tried to explain that they'd had a cool team function at Halloween, but it was all football between himself and Rodgers. But he seemed a little surprised at the hullabaloo - he's still just a young guy, after all, and probably doesn't quite understand that even a silent fart will be fanned into a forest fire by the media.

And Rodgers's response did make sense: He's 39, these young guys are fifteen or more years younger. They have different interests, different lives. I sure as hell wasn't doing at 39 what I was at 23. And thank god. Why should he have to hang out after hours with every single teammate?

Damn. I'm sounding a little like Tex here, with maybe fewer "shithead dumbasses" in there.

Which is why you're making more sense than usual hahahaha. Doubs didn't say anything derogatory about Rodgers - just the media shitheads yet again trying to stir up trouble, and Rodgers didn't say anything derogaroy about Doubs. I'll play that "name even one" game that one of ya'all in here tried to pull: can any of ya'all haters name even one player who has proveably said anything negative about Rodgers? Or for that matter, even one player who Rodgers has clearly talked negative about? Fake news shit from the media doesn't count. One of the many weirdly stupid accusations by the haters is that Rodgers isn't a good leader. I say absolutely he is, and if the comparison is to Brady, that's even more true.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2023, 12:48 PM
14-3 will justify it then a first round playoff exit will nullify it.

For some people maybe. What I have always said, that is 14 excellent days for us fans and 1 rotten day. I'd take that even if it turned out that way.

call_me_ishmael
02-01-2023, 01:30 PM
I don't see the Raiders as realistic because I don't think they're a good enough team. The trade would be for picks not pieces so maybe I guess.

Is it possible if Rod is traded its for one year before he Favre's his way to SF?

run pMc
02-01-2023, 01:36 PM
I will go on record and say that the roster and coaching staff, as it is on this day (or week 18 if you prefer), will not go 14-3 next season.

They would need a lot to go right and that's asking for a miracle IMO.

I have them at 11 wins at best. Maybe that gets them a NFCN title but a lot of people think DET is the team to beat in the North next year.
No idea if they get to 11 wins, if they make any noise in the playoffs, etc., but I think Rodgers comes back for one more year with modestly improved numbers, and then he retires leaving a giant cap mess after that.

Don't see a SB in the near future, and it's also hard to see a deep playoff run right now but you never know. They've "run it back" for at least 2 years with mixed results and if they try it again I think it will be for the last time.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2023, 09:52 PM
You don't think a healthy Rodgers boucing back to pre-injured thumb/2021 level of effectiveness along with another year of experience and good health for the rookie WRs and maybe Tonyan another year removed from his knee injury would be enough, even if Barry is not replaced? About the only minus would be no Adams. It seems strongly likely the young guys could compensate for that.

RashanGary
02-02-2023, 08:11 AM
Rodgers contract promotes a trade. He’s gone.

Joemailman
02-02-2023, 09:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn9461ZagAUhnn0?format=jpg&name=small

run pMc
02-02-2023, 11:22 AM
You don't think a healthy Rodgers boucing back to pre-injured thumb/2021 level of effectiveness along with another year of experience and good health for the rookie WRs and maybe Tonyan another year removed from his knee injury would be enough, even if Barry is not replaced? About the only minus would be no Adams. It seems strongly likely the young guys could compensate for that.

No I don't.

I don't think he bounces back to 2021 level of effectiveness -- that assumes MVP level. I don't think he has that left in him; Adams bailed him out on some of his throws and he doesn't have him anymore. Watson and Doubs aren't that player yet, and at least one of them is due for a sophomore slump. It's about 80% they lose Lazard; he wanted a contract extension last year and didn't get it, the way he was talking after the DET game it sounds like he's gone. It's a crap WR market so he'll get interest and price himself out of GB. Cobb is crafty but scares NO ONE. They will have to bring in more WRs, either via draft (i.e., rookies making minimal contributions) or bargain bin FA (Sammy Watkins types). Rodgers' contract forces this. ("God-forbid thought experiment": what does this offense look like if Watson and Doubs miss time simultaneously?)

I love Tonyan, but he's entering his age 29 season and he's not going to get faster after an ACL and likely will never approximate his 11TD season... I think you're looking at maybe 500 yards and 5 TDs from him if he's healthy. The guy never breaks a tackle, and he won't outrun anyone. All you can really say about him is he's the best TE they had on the roster last year, which is like being the smartest kid on the shortbus.

Maybe AJ Dillon bounces back, but not if they keep handing off to him out of shotgun. Aaron Jones has to be restructured to keep; if they don't they lose their engine, and he's developed a concerning habit for ill-timed fumbles.

Their scoring and RZ effectiveness have declined for two straight seasons (31.8 pts/g to 26.5 to 21.8). That's a big problem.

They have a mess at safety and their run defense is a mess. Their best pass rusher is coming off an ACL and won't be back before early October.

Maybe they fix things. Maybe Rodgers improves his footwork and decides to both go thru his progressions and run a MLF offense using motion and snaps from under center. Maybe the rookies take Year 2 leaps. It's a lot of maybes and you have to have a LOT go right. This year they had a lot of those things go wrong, perhaps they're due for regression to some kind of mean there. I'm not convinced it would add up to 14 wins, especially in a division where DET is rapidly improving (thank to the LAR) and CHI could surprise if they go against type and make good decisions with all that cap space.

I appreciate your optimism, but I don't share it to the extent you do. I do think they have talent and 'could' win enough games to get a playoff spot but will they? They have to play better and be coached better. They have a number of problems, more than a healthy thumb and Year 2 Watson can fix.

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2023, 11:57 AM
You make a fairly good case for another substandard season, but most of it is based on the idea of Rodgers not playing as good at 39 as uh, maybe Brady played at 39 - which was pretty damn good. Aaron Jones obviously they keep. I put it more like 40-50% they keep Lazard - mainly because I tend to doubt he's gonna get super money thrown at him elsewhere, and for close to the same, he's likely to stay a Packer - assuming Rodgers is still a Packer.

You're probably right about the D being a potential mess, although I doubt itis as bad as last year with all the injuries plus rookie blunders by Walker which should improve.

Plus there's hope of some help in the draft - Safety, maybe Edge, maybe TE, although I'm not nearly as negative about Tonyan as you.

I said 14 wins, you said 11. Even splitting the difference would be a major improvement, but I'll stick with 14. One factor nobody has talked about is that the whole league seems to have more parity, actually down a little bit across the board IMO.

bobblehead
02-02-2023, 12:30 PM
I scrolled through briefly for a couple posts but couldn't find them. You know who you are. The few people who suggested that the ONLY reason we lost DAdams was because he was fleeing from that awful human being, Aaron Rodgers. That narrative has fallen completely on its face now.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/02/davante-adams-lobbying-raiders-to-trade-for-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers/

Tony Oday
02-02-2023, 02:11 PM
I scrolled through briefly for a couple posts but couldn't find them. You know who you are. The few people who suggested that the ONLY reason we lost DAdams was because he was fleeing from that awful human being, Aaron Rodgers. That narrative has fallen completely on its face now.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/02/davante-adams-lobbying-raiders-to-trade-for-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers/

Correct. The Packers need to do what they an to keep AR.

Joemailman
02-02-2023, 02:20 PM

Which is what? He's under contract. He's said he wants to finish his career in Green Bay. Do they have to let him keep all his friends here?

Joemailman
02-02-2023, 03:40 PM
Rodgers says he's not going to San Fran. Didn't say anything about Santa Clara. https://twitter.com/i/status/1621248918196453383

Joemailman
02-02-2023, 05:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn_InQqagAEFko9?format=jpg&name=large

run pMc
02-02-2023, 06:18 PM
Adams left because he wanted to be closer to home, family, etc. and he grew up a Raiders fan. Plus, his college buddy was the QB.
That's it. Well, that and he probably was tired of the contract runaround he felt he was getting from Gute and Ball before they finally made him a big offer. It never really had anything to do with Rodgers, aside from he didn't want to wait around to see what 12 was going to do and didn't want to be locked into a contract playing with Love or worse at QB.

If Carr is out (he is) then of course he's going to lobby for a better than Stidham (sp?) QB, both to win more games as well as keep his stats boosted for HOF consideration.

I highly doubt a trade will happen...like 10% chance to the Raiders. I'd put the Jets at 15-20%. Everyone else is like 1%. I expect 12 to play for GB next year.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2023, 08:32 PM
I will go on record and say that the roster and coaching staff, as it is on this day (or week 18 if you prefer), will not go 14-3 next season.

They would need a lot to go right and that's asking for a miracle IMO.

I have them at 11 wins at best. Maybe that gets them a NFCN title but a lot of people think DET is the team to beat in the North next year.
No idea if they get to 11 wins, if they make any noise in the playoffs, etc., but I think Rodgers comes back for one more year with modestly improved numbers, and then he retires leaving a giant cap mess after that.

Don't see a SB in the near future, and it's also hard to see a deep playoff run right now but you never know. They've "run it back" for at least 2 years with mixed results and if they try it again I think it will be for the last time.

Yeah, I had better odds of mating with Jennifer Lawerence than the 2022 Packers had of winning the Super Bowl. Stokes and Gary Lightbody (What If This Is All the Love You Ever Get, great song, especially since it annoys Harrell) were KIA. Butte had less chemistry with the rookie WRs than Tony O’Day has with Black people.

But look at the Balding Eagles. Their head coach is one arrogant Italian. Their fans are full of racist Italians. They missed the playoffs last season. Yet, they traded for AJ Brown, the rock catcher the German Shepherd shoulda drafted along with DK Metcalf (instead of Savage and Fucking Center), and here they are, in the fucking Super Bowl.

If Butte returns, if Doubs continues to progress, if Watson sheds his metrosexual, injury-prone label, if the D stays healthy, an argument could be made depicting the Packers as being one player away from the Super Bowl - a J-Mike TE.

bobblehead
02-03-2023, 10:04 AM

That is not even close to what I said.

Fritz
02-03-2023, 04:54 PM
At this point, it sounds like what they "need to do" is to re-sign at least a couple of the guys on Aaron Rodgers's list and bring Bakh back, which I think they intend to do anyway.

Ah, let's just trade the dude.

Joemailman
02-03-2023, 05:31 PM
I've heard Rodgers and Love are represented by the same agency. If so, they're probably trying to figure out how they end up with both as starting QB's in 2023. No to Rodgers retiring. No to Love sitting for another year. Somebody has to be traded.

Fritz
02-04-2023, 09:25 AM
I've heard Rodgers and Love are represented by the same agency. If so, they're probably trying to figure out how they end up with both as starting QB's in 2023. No to Rodgers retiring. No to Love sitting for another year. Somebody has to be traded.

Trade Rodgers Take a look at the histories of aging QB's - there are patterns. They begin to feel isolated because they are older. They begin to think they've earned the right to have some of "their" guys on the team. They are so used to being great that they have a hard time accepting their new, age-caused limitations, and because of that, they tend to look elsewhere for the cause or causes of their diminished performance. Offensive coordinators have to begin to change the offense - more short stuff to accomodate decreasing arm strength or decreasing mobility. The future HOFer believes he knows more than the offensive coordinator and increasingly does his own thing. Frustration levels grow, as the future HOFer just wants that one more ring to cement his legacy.

I think Peyton Manning was the one QB in this camp who actually got that last ring. Most of them just fade into more and more mediocre years (I'm thinking of Drew Brees and Phil Rivers, some flame out spectacularly (I'm thinking of Bert and that fatal interception he threw against NO when he played with Minny).

bobblehead
02-04-2023, 01:22 PM
Fritz, I don't think this is the norm. To be honest I think every situation is unique except for the case that father time is undefeated. You described Rodgers and maybe Favre, but Montana, Young, Brady, Elway...I could go on. Many of them adjusted their own game, did the best with what they had. But they all got old. And they all lost effectiveness as a result.

texaspackerbacker
02-04-2023, 02:33 PM
I think we need a poll about how good or bad Rodgers is gonna play next year and/or 2, 3, 4, or 5 years from now.

CaptainKickass
02-04-2023, 03:07 PM
aging QB's - there are patterns. They begin to feel isolated because they are older. They begin to think they've earned the right to have some of "their" guys on the team. They are so used to being great that they have a hard time accepting their new, age-caused limitations, and because of that, they tend to look elsewhere for the cause or causes of their diminished performance. Offensive coordinators have to begin to change the offense - more short stuff to accommodate decreasing arm strength or decreasing mobility. The future HOFer believes he knows more than the offensive coordinator and increasingly does his own thing. Frustration levels grow, as the future HOFer just wants that one more ring to cement his legacy.

This is historically accurate for the last 2 Packers QB's as far as I can tell. Is it accurate around the league? (Minus the HOF or not)

I think Peyton Manning was the one QB in this camp who actually got that last ring.

Elway?

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-04-2023, 03:22 PM
I think we need a poll about how good or bad Rodgers is gonna play next year and/or 2, 3, 4, or 5 years from now.

Does not matter, trade his ass..

Teamcheez1
02-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Any poll about AR playing should only be 0, 1, or 2 years. He won’t last any longer than that.

Joemailman
02-04-2023, 06:12 PM
Always nice to hear from the fans. https://twitter.com/i/status/1621784501167984640

Fritz
02-05-2023, 07:28 AM
Fritz, I don't think this is the norm. To be honest I think every situation is unique except for the case that father time is undefeated. You described Rodgers and maybe Favre, but Montana, Young, Brady, Elway...I could go on. Many of them adjusted their own game, did the best with what they had. But they all got old. And they all lost effectiveness as a result.

You may be right. Elway, like Manning, got his ring toward the end of his career. Though as I recall, Joe Montana felt like he got pushed out of SF and there was some bad blood. And I think his last year or so in KC, he'd lost what little arm strength he had.

Personally, Brady didn't scare me those last couple of years. Even in the NFCCG, he was just a good game manager - he knew to pick on Kevin King there, but Brady didn't carry that team. He went along for the ride.

Steve Young I don't remember how that went for him. But I do recall - and this was sad - a broken-down Joe Namath still trying to play, long after he'd lost his athleticism, primarily due to that knee injury in a preseason game against Detroit.

I do think though that as QB's age (and they can play longer than players at most positions), they begin to feel isolated due in large part to their age.