PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2023 (Or Will He Play)?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Fritz
03-04-2023, 08:36 AM
Peliserro and Rapoport have been pretty silent on the topic this week. I will wait for them to report before passing judgement, but it certainly feels like the writing is on the wall. JLove is gonna wanna be traded - so I view it as they have no alternative if they think he has the juice to play for ten years.

What's funny is I read something that NFL executives look at a five year window and assume a guy can play for 5 years. Man, if you have JLove for 5 years vs Rodgers for 2, IDK that I would pull the trigger. For ten I probably would.

I get what you're saying. I understand that hesitation, but I'd frame it as Rodgers being on the downside, his legs already pretty much shot and deterioration only continuing, so IF you get two years out of him, how good will they be? You could say the first year might be good, if the offensive line can get their shit together.

Withe Love, the first year as starter would likely be his worst year. You've got an ascending guy, a young guy who can run, got some legs, and will run the offense per the coach. So the first year - rough, probably - but from there you've got four years of an ascending QB, even if he's not on the level Rodgers was in 2021.

Sparkey
03-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Watch Rodgers and be disappointed when he can't do some of the things he used to do or watch Love and be surprised when he does something you didn't expect him to be able to do.

Joemailman
03-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Watch Rodgers and be disappointed when he can't do some of the things he used to do or watch Love and be surprised when he does something you didn't expect him to be able to do.

If Love is the QB people will be reminded of what it's like to have a QB who can make plays with his legs when the pass play isn't there. Rodgers turned out to be more athletic than people expected, and I think the same will be true of Love.

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Love shows potential to rise to the level of a decent NFL QB, maybe even above average. He won't ever be as good, though, as Aaron Rodgers, even beyond his best years Aaron Rodgers. Hardly anybody will. We have been extremely lucky, you could say spoiled as Packer fans that lightning has basically struck twice - consecutive GOAT-like QBs. If we're really really really lucky, it could happen a third time, but I very much doubt that will be Love. I'm thinking the next superstar Packer QB is probably sitting in a high school class right now (oops, it's Saturday) contemplating which scholarship offer to accept. He should be ready about the time Rodgers is finally done.

The latest stupid meme around here seems to be that Rodgers' legs are no good anymore hahahaha. I thought he kinda disspelled that crap last year.

bobblehead
03-04-2023, 11:06 AM
Peliserro and Rapoport have been pretty silent on the topic this week. I will wait for them to report before passing judgement, but it certainly feels like the writing is on the wall. JLove is gonna wanna be traded - so I view it as they have no alternative if they think he has the juice to play for ten years.

What's funny is I read something that NFL executives look at a five year window and assume a guy can play for 5 years. Man, if you have JLove for 5 years vs Rodgers for 2, IDK that I would pull the trigger. For ten I probably would.

A GM has 5 years to field a winner, so most of them don't think in 10 year windows since they won't be with a team that far out if they aren't winning. I'm a packer fan, so I am thinking in a 10 year window. Just like I don't care who the GM is in 10 years, I don't care who the QB is....as long as we are winning.

bobblehead
03-04-2023, 11:07 AM
I say again, it ain't gonna happen. He won't retire, and he won't be traded, period.

Only the sithe speak in absolutes (or idiots when the outcome can't be known for sure).

You might be right, but your lack of acknowledgement that you might be wrong is telling.

In the past I have always said he was returning. This is the first year I am saying he is going. I haven't been 100% positive either time.

bobblehead
03-04-2023, 11:11 AM
If Love is the QB people will be reminded of what it's like to have a QB who can make plays with his legs when the pass play isn't there. Rodgers turned out to be more athletic than people expected, and I think the same will be true of Love.

What I have loved about Love (hehe) is that he does the one thing the great ones do. He buys time with his legs looking to pass. The "good" ones just take off and run....or can't even buy time. The great ones are ALWAYS looking to throw it.

Rivers and Ryan lost the ability to buy time pretty fast. The good ones like Cunningham and Lamaar take off and run when flushed. The great ones like Rodgers and Maholmes run when all opportunity to pass is gone.

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2023, 11:25 AM
Only the sithe speak in absolutes (or idiots when the outcome can't be known for sure).

You might be right, but your lack of acknowledgement that you might be wrong is telling.

In the past I have always said he was returning. This is the first year I am saying he is going. I haven't been 100% positive either time.

I guess you got me there hahahaha. That's pretty much what I said about the other side a couple days ago. I should have said IMO. Call it a prediction, though, and feel free to rub my nose in it if it doesn't come true.

Don't do the same for my other thing - that Rodgers' successor is still in high school now.

bobblehead
03-04-2023, 11:31 AM
I guess you got me there hahahaha. That's pretty much what I said about the other side a couple days ago. I should have said IMO. Call it a prediction, though, and feel free to rub my nose in it if it doesn't come true.

Don't do the same for my other thing - that Rodgers' successor is still in high school now.

Thats fair...but if Love isn't the successor, he might not even be born yet. Call me a pessimist.

run pMc
03-04-2023, 12:34 PM
The latest stupid meme around here seems to be that Rodgers' legs are no good anymore hahahaha. I thought he kinda disspelled that crap last year.
Ah yes, because those 34 rushes for 94 yards (2.8 ypr) over 17 games really showed off his wheels. Move over Justin Fields!

His legs were not great; he even admitted that himself in pressers.

As for Rich Eisen, he's a Jets fan, so he's inclined to latch onto a Rodgers rumor. Thing is, there have been a LOT of them.

I don't think Gute or any Packers official is going to say anything other than they want him back at this point. Anything else would be a disaster in terms of relationship with Rodgers or trade value. Also, nothing they say in these pressers is going to be truthful or insightful, unless you are a mind reader or somehow pickup on something buried deep within the lines. Personally, I think Gute wants to trade Rodgers, but Murphy wants to keep him. MLF is a tougher read; I think he likes winning and Rodgers is a talented QB but he'd probably like to run his offense and Love might be the best chance for him to do that. If he's a Shanahan type, and Shanahan can spin gold from Brock Purdy, MLF should be able to do ok with Jordan Love.

There won't be any news until after the combine, and any trade likely happens just before the draft.

I will say again, Rodgers might be the better QB in 2023, but trading him is the best thing for the team if you look over the next 3 seasons because of his age and cap hit.
How likely is Rodgers to redo his contract in a way that doesn't hurt the team? How could that can be done?

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2023, 01:55 PM
I didn't say he was Lamar Jackson or even Fields hahahaha, but he runs better than Brady did 15 or 20 years ago and better than all but a handful of current NFL QBs. And more pertinently, he runs probably 90 or 95% as good as he ever ran. Besides that, QB yards gain isn't nearly as important as escapability, which Rodgers still has at a fairly high level. And all of that is not nearly as important as throwing accuracy, which admittedly he was less good with the injury last season, but which Rodgers otherwise is extreme top tier. And all of that including accuracy is less important IMO than the mindset not to throw interceptions - where Rodgers is second to nobody in NFL history.

IF Rodgers was one more and done, and IF you could get a veritable shitload for him, and IF you don't mind lapsing into mediocrity after this season, yeah, then maybe trading him might be best. However, I very much doubt any of those 3 IFs is true.

run pMc
03-04-2023, 05:13 PM
Brady was NEVER a mobile QB. Brady has always been a pocket passer with a quick release and even quicker processer of the field.

Rodgers mobility isn't near what it used to be. That's Father Time.
He still has good enough pocket awareness to slide around and avoid the rush. That's as much a mental or near-instinctive thing.
The big thing with his legs was with his throwing base and fundamentals. He didn't have that last year. He can get most of that back with appropriate offseason focus on it, he's done that before but he's let it slip lately. With him aging he needs it more than ever.
Let's be real - he's a 40 year old QB who probably runs a 4.9 or 5.0 40. He's not a great athlete by NFL standards anymore. That's why you don't see him running the ball a lot, and as he's not a great threat to run the RPOs they run on offense are less effective.

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2023, 11:01 AM
Duh. That's a large part of the point. Rodgers is and always has been a pocket passer too, and he's not/never was a Lamar Jackson level athlete/runner. He has a quick release like Brady, and probably is an even better "processor on the field" than Brady.

His mobility isn't what it used to be, of course, but "isn't near" is an exaggeration. He has aged well in that area IMO. Of course, you nailed it with this line: "He still has good enough pocket awareness to slide around and avoid the rush. That's as much a mental or near-instinctive thing." Rodgers has always been an "off-platform" thrower too, maybe not quite as much as Favre was, but close. He was less successful that way last season why? because of the injury, of course. You don't see him running a lot, true. That's how QBs get hurt, old guys, young guys, all guys - major injury like Dak or just a debilitating calf strain or hamstring like Rodgers himself got a few years ago. But when necessary (or when he just wanted to prove he still could), Rodgers took off and got the yards even last season.

bobblehead
03-05-2023, 11:05 AM
Ah yes, because those 34 rushes for 94 yards (2.8 ypr) over 17 games really showed off his wheels. Move over Justin Fields!

His legs were not great; he even admitted that himself in pressers.

As for Rich Eisen, he's a Jets fan, so he's inclined to latch onto a Rodgers rumor. Thing is, there have been a LOT of them.

I don't think Gute or any Packers official is going to say anything other than they want him back at this point. Anything else would be a disaster in terms of relationship with Rodgers or trade value. Also, nothing they say in these pressers is going to be truthful or insightful, unless you are a mind reader or somehow pickup on something buried deep within the lines. Personally, I think Gute wants to trade Rodgers, but Murphy wants to keep him. MLF is a tougher read; I think he likes winning and Rodgers is a talented QB but he'd probably like to run his offense and Love might be the best chance for him to do that. If he's a Shanahan type, and Shanahan can spin gold from Brock Purdy, MLF should be able to do ok with Jordan Love.

There won't be any news until after the combine, and any trade likely happens just before the draft.

I will say again, Rodgers might be the better QB in 2023, but trading him is the best thing for the team if you look over the next 3 seasons because of his age and cap hit.
How likely is Rodgers to redo his contract in a way that doesn't hurt the team? How could that can be done?

Rich Eisen runs the 40 every year at the combine (or used to). I'd like to see HIM race Rodgers.

Murphy shouldn't be involved in who stays and who goes as far as players. Its simply not his job. That should be Gutes final say with some MiLF input. As for MiLF, he made Mariotta look serviceable so I have faith in him.

If Rodgers wants to stay I would BET he reworks his deal to clear cap space so they can sign someone in FA. He does want to win. But I won't go so far as saying less money, just moving it around. He could even potentially do a rework to facilitate a trade.

run pMc
03-05-2023, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I could see them ask Rodgers to redo the contract somehow. Not sure what that looks like, IIRC he's set to make the vet minimum salary... all his money is in bonuses of some sort.

Tex, Brady is a pocket passer. Rodgers is a mobile QB. Lamar Jackson is a dual threat QB. Matt Stafford or Jameis Winston is a gunslinger type. The SF QB's (and Jared Goff) are game managers.

If you just mean ability to juke around in the pocket, no Rodgers hasn't lost that but even Brady can do that a little bit. That's not the legs so much as awareness, so I consider that more between the ears than athleticism.
Difference between Brady and Rodgers is Rodgers has always had enough mobility to at least execute a rollout. Brady's too slow for that. That said, Rodgers is slowing down and not breaking off long rushes like he did 10 or even 5 years ago. His legs aren't what they used to be, regardless of what you say.

call_me_ishmael
03-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Rich Eisen runs the 40 every year at the combine (or used to). I'd like to see HIM race Rodgers.

Murphy shouldn't be involved in who stays and who goes as far as players. Its simply not his job. That should be Gutes final say with some MiLF input. As for MiLF, he made Mariotta look serviceable so I have faith in him.

If Rodgers wants to stay I would BET he reworks his deal to clear cap space so they can sign someone in FA. He does want to win. But I won't go so far as saying less money, just moving it around. He could even potentially do a rework to facilitate a trade.

Rodgers would smoke him by a second or two

If he reworks the deal to lower cap this year, man that is just more pain later when he bounces. I’m not sure that’s a good idea given his cap isn’t crazy this year.

Unless he’s trying to get a trade partner for Love, it sure sounds like in the unlikely case both returned to the Packers this year, next year it’s Love show, so why not rip the Bandaid off this year IMO and take a shot next year in year two with relatively cheap fifth year option vs 40M a year they’re gonna have to pay him if he’s even decent in year 6. It makes no sense to keep Rodgers this year if they want Love to be their QB of the future.

Fritz
03-06-2023, 07:27 AM
Rodgers would smoke him by a second or two ������

If he reworks the deal to lower cap this year, man that is just more pain later when he bounces. I’m not sure that’s a good idea given his cap isn’t crazy this year.

Unless he’s trying to get a trade partner for Love, it sure sounds like in the unlikely case both returned to the Packers this year, next year it’s Love show, so why not rip the Bandaid off this year IMO and take a shot next year in year two with relatively cheap fifth year option vs 40M a year they’re gonna have to pay him if he’s even decent in year 6. It makes no sense to keep Rodgers this year if they want Love to be their QB of the future.

This is a key point. We keep talking about Rodgers, Rodgers, Rodgers. Will he play or no? If he plays, will it be in Green Bay? Can he have a come back year if he returns?

We haven't talked quite as much about how the Packers feel about Love. Really, if they do think he's the guy - that he can be a good, maybe really good, quarterback in the NFL - then they pretty much have to trade Rodgers at this point, if Rodgers decides he wants to play. Imagine having the fifth-year option picked up on Love, AND Rodgers coming back to Green Bay. If Rodgers has insisted he wants the Packers to be competetive for a SB if he's going to come back, how are you going to field a SB-competetive team if TWO of your quarterbacks are costing that much? And even if somehow you decide to do that, then all you've done is put off the hand-wringing and uncertainty that you are already going through. Because if you do keep Rodgers AND Love, then Rodgers plays this year, then he hems and haws about retirement after the season ends, and you've got a guy in the wings you paid a boat-load of money to in order to be a back up, who is now about to become a FA. That would be horrible and stupid.

So - if Love is the guy, if you really, really think that he's going to be a good one, and if Rodgers decides he wants to play, then you almost have to trade him. Get a third from the Jets...But if you're blowing smoke about Love and you don't think he's all that, then you, of course, blow smoke about Love being ready, and try to trade him for whatever you can get.

It's really more about what the Packers think about Love than it is anything else.

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2023, 09:38 AM
YES, YES, and YES.

I don't really give a damn about Love except as trade bait or a back up. Hell yeah, they could pick up his fifthyear option or even do a new longer term deal with him, cap-wise. If they deem him to be any good, that's probably smart, but it's not a big deal either way.

Joemailman
03-06-2023, 09:54 AM
Reports are Derek Carr is signing with Saints. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35797963/sources-saints-front-runners-sign-qb-derek-carr

That's good news if you want Rodgers traded. It means the Jets are still in the equation.

RashanGary
03-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Reports are Derek Carr is signing with Saints. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35797963/sources-saints-front-runners-sign-qb-derek-carr

That's good news if you want Rodgers traded. It means the Jets are still in the equation.

Tex gonna have egg on his face soon

sharpe1027
03-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Fritz, there's also 1) the possibility they aren't convinced the team is good enough to win with Rodgers or 2) Rodgers wants out.

Either of those are true, and a trade is the best outcome. Doesn't matter what they think of Love.

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2023, 01:41 PM
Tex gonna have egg on his face soon

Dream on. YOU are the one who keeps repeating the idiocy that Rodgers' contract enables a trade, when in fact it makes a trade damn near impossible. Ya'all people wanting the team to go down the drain i.e. part with Rodgers are gonna be disappointed (not to mention stupid).

I say again, YES, YES, AND YES to Fritz's questions above.

sharpe1027
03-06-2023, 02:45 PM
I say that anyone that pretends to know what Rodgers or the Packers organization is thinking is completely full of shit and worse than the media pukes at spreading bullshit opinions based on no personal knowledge.

Doesn't mean they'll end up being wrong, but they don't know any more than the rest of us.

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2023, 06:46 PM
That would imply the bastards are good people with no sinister agenda. On the mild side, those shitheads are stirring up trouble as click bait just for increasing their own popularity and money. On the worse side, those shitheads actually want to harm the Packers either just to smooth things out with the loser franchises or else because they favor whatever coastal or big city franchise.

And most if this whole discussion is just a matter of what is logical anyway. That doesn't seem to be the strong suit of the "ya'all" crowd in here who crave a future without Aaron Rodgers i.e. a future without winning football.

sharpe1027
03-07-2023, 12:01 AM
That would imply the bastards are good people with no sinister agenda. On the mild side, those shitheads are stirring up trouble as click bait just for increasing their own popularity and money. On the worse side, those shitheads actually want to harm the Packers either just to smooth things out with the loser franchises or else because they favor whatever coastal or big city franchise.

And most if this whole discussion is just a matter of what is logical anyway. That doesn't seem to be the strong suit of the "ya'all" crowd in here who crave a future without Aaron Rodgers i.e. a future without winning football.

You claim it's just logical, but don't know any more than anyone else here what Rodgers or the Packers organization are thinking.

Joemailman
03-07-2023, 12:04 AM
trey wingo
@wingoz

Per sources. Aaron Rodgers and the Jets had conversations today. While nothing is imminent Rodgers is open to the idea of going to NY
11:10 PM · Mar 6, 2023

I can't verify if this is true. But I do know Rodgers was in New York on the weekend.

red
03-07-2023, 08:27 AM
I can't verify if this is true. But I do know Rodgers was in New York on the weekend.

sweet

run pMc
03-07-2023, 08:46 AM
There's a story in the JSO by Silverstein on it, so it must have some legs. If not for that I'd assume it was just rumor-mongering.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2023/03/07/report-packers-quarterback-aaron-rodgers-met-with-new-york-jets-open-to-playing-in-ny/69953012007/

Sparkey
03-07-2023, 08:53 AM
https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/07/ny-jets-confirm-aaron-rodgers-spoke/

Those damned media bastards doing their job.

run pMc
03-07-2023, 09:39 AM
https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/07/ny-jets-confirm-aaron-rodgers-spoke/

Those damned media bastards doing their job.

Media pukes and shitheads.

Sure seems like the reports that Rodgers spoke with NYJ has some legs to it, and he's been very quiet (when he could easily shoot rumors down), so one would think there's truth to this.
If Rodgers is talking to another team, GB has made its preference known at the 2023 QB spot.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 11:08 AM
You claim it's just logical, but don't know any more than anyone else here what Rodgers or the Packers organization are thinking.

Exactly! But unlike them (whoever them might be), what I spew is logical. Probably some in here think the same about the shit they post. I'll put my logic against theirs any day of the week. The media shitheads are completely different animals. I doubt they even pretend to be logical. They are merely interested in click bait and stirring up trouble. But you're correct, NONE of us or them actually know what Rodgers or the Packer brass are thinking. We'll only find out when things happen (or in a lot of this, do not happen).

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2023, 11:11 AM
Oh snap. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1633148006928195584

RashanGary
03-07-2023, 11:47 AM
Oh snap. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1633148006928195584

Saw that. Tex bout to have egg on his face.

sharpe1027
03-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Exactly! But unlike them (whoever them might be), what I spew is logical. Probably some in here think the same about the shit they post. I'll put my logic against theirs any day of the week. The media shitheads are completely different animals. I doubt they even pretend to be logical. They are merely interested in click bait and stirring up trouble. But you're correct, NONE of us or them actually know what Rodgers or the Packer brass are thinking. We'll only find out when things happen (or in a lot of this, do not happen).

I see no difference. You're just like them.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2023, 01:07 PM
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1633171004183949315/video/1

So what happens if we decides to stay in GB? I find this unlikely. I do wonder if they'd welcome him back for two years and trade Love. I don't see any path for him back unless he commits to two years if not more.

jklowan
03-07-2023, 01:13 PM
imho opinion there is no path back sorry Tex, GB had to give him permission to speak to the Jets. That alone should at least mean that the trade parameters have been discussed and met. Both clubs are waiting on Rogers to announce if he is back or retiring, should know by the middle of next week I bet.

ThunderDan
03-07-2023, 01:21 PM

Except, if ARod does leave the Packers you have been spewing crap for 15 pages just like you say they do. But in this case, they would be right.

This feels like a Woody and BF croc shot melt down by Tex coming soon.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 01:30 PM
You're assuming, Dan, and all logic says it simply ain't gonna happen way ya'all who love to swallow the media shit think it's gonna happen. I'm definitely on the record, and on the slim chance I am wrong, everyone of ya'all can feel free to pile on and say you told me so - because you damn well better believe, I will be doing exactly that when I am proven right.

The difference is, if I'm right, we have continued great times for 1, 2, 3 years and maybe beyond, while if ya'all are right, everybody who calls themselves Packer fans will suffer for the foreseeable future. And while that may mean something to the poor misguided good people in here, it means nothing to media shitheads, and most of them probably wish for it.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 01:34 PM
I see no difference. You're just like them.

Uh ....... yeah, I don't know and they don't know. Isn't that what I just said?

sharpe1027
03-07-2023, 01:50 PM
Uh ....... yeah, I don't know and they don't know. Isn't that what I just said?

You made absolute statements that it was a certainty he'd stay. Can't backtrack now.

Fosco33
03-07-2023, 02:11 PM
I’d say 33% retire and if he comes back it’s probably 75% as a Packer. Which still is 50/50 overall.
I think the packers and jets will know if he’s coming back by 3/15 and we might not know where until 6/1 officially.

Rastak
03-07-2023, 02:14 PM
"A contingent of Jets team officials, including owner Woody Johnson, general manager Joe Douglas, head coach Robert Saleh and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, are flying out Tuesday to meet in person with Rodgers, sources said. It's unclear whether the meeting will result in a trade, however."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35804636/jets-talks-packers-aaron-rodgers-sources-say

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 02:44 PM
You made absolute statements that it was a certainty he'd stay. Can't backtrack now.

Did I? I think I said IMO or something like that, but either way, yeah, I'll stand by it. That glorious contract which so many haters hate so much hahahaha makes it pretty horrible for the team to trade him. It also makes it a downright HUGE amount for him to walk away from if he retires. Thus, hell no I ain't backtracking.

NewsBruin
03-07-2023, 02:59 PM
Did I? I think I said IMO or something like that, but either way, yeah, I'll stand by it. That glorious contract which so many haters hate so much hahahaha makes it pretty horrible for the team to trade him. It also makes it a downright HUGE amount for him to walk away from if he retires. Thus, hell no I ain't backtracking.

Out of curiosity, what makes Rodgers' contract great and glorious and all the other adjectives? How is it beneficial to the Packers; how is it beneficial to Rodgers? What makes it so unique, compared to other contracts? Is the use of option bonuses and veteran minimum something you'd like to see more of?

bobblehead
03-07-2023, 03:00 PM
I'm at peace, beca8use on one hand I saw AROD taking us to 11 wins and shitting on himself again in a second half playoff game to leave us all in turmoil again

Then I saw, Jordan Love develop and lead us to 8 wins but give us hope

And rather than get frustrated with either situation, then I watched porn because reality is we're not winning the Big Show either way next year.

But isn't it also reality that you are not having porn sex with hot Latin maids either?

bobblehead
03-07-2023, 03:11 PM

Certainly he can. Happens everyday. In sports. In politics. For sure on internet chat boards. In 2 days Tex will be claiming that he has always told you ARod was heading to NY. If you try to quote him he will claim you lack context. Its the god damn american way!!

bobblehead
03-07-2023, 03:12 PM

I rest my case.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Out of curiosity, what makes Rodgers' contract great and glorious and all the other adjectives? How is it beneficial to the Packers; how is it beneficial to Rodgers? What makes it so unique, compared to other contracts? Is the use of option bonuses and veteran minimum something you'd like to see more of?

You actually would ask that? It is Great and Glorious because it effectively prevents his being traded and it strongly discourages his retiring. THAT benefits the Packers and all of us who want winning football for the next whatever number of years. "Option bonuses"? Are you talking about basically beating the cap by giving a big bonus and prorating it? Hell yeah I'm for that. Veteran minimum? How does that apply? Yeah, that's what you pay some players - it's not really something to be for or against.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 03:21 PM
bobblehead, When did I EVER backtrack on ANYTHING? If I get accused of being stubborn, I'll plead guilty, but backtracking? No Way.

bobblehead
03-07-2023, 03:23 PM
bobblehead, When did I EVER backtrack on ANYTHING? If I get accused of being stubborn, I'll plead guilty, but backtracking? No Way.

If you can't admit that you allowed ZERO possibility for Rodgers being traded through like 12 pages then you are backtracking.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 03:27 PM
Yeah, and what am I saying that's any different now?

red
03-07-2023, 03:40 PM
"A contingent of Jets team officials, including owner Woody Johnson, general manager Joe Douglas, head coach Robert Saleh and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, are flying out Tuesday to meet in person with Rodgers, sources said. It's unclear whether the meeting will result in a trade, however."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35804636/jets-talks-packers-aaron-rodgers-sources-say

That should be sufficient enough ball licking for Rodgers, right?

red
03-07-2023, 03:46 PM
If you can't admit that you allowed ZERO possibility for Rodgers being traded through like 12 pages then you are backtracking.

Don’t forget all the time he called everyone who thought he would be traded, shitheads or dumb asses or and other childish name his feeble brain could come up with

Stupid worthless fuck probably doesn’t remember making any of his posts anyways

Rastak
03-07-2023, 03:58 PM
That should be sufficient enough ball licking for Rodgers, right?

Should be. The strange thing is they are flying to Green Bay to talk to him per a tweet I saw. Why would he be in Green Bay in March?

red
03-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Should be. The strange thing is they are flying to Green Bay to talk to him per a tweet I saw. Why would he be in Green Bay in March?

Maybe he also finally had a meeting with the packers where they agreed to all this?

Haven’t read anything about it, but it’s just a random guess, so nobody go spreading this around the inter webs claiming a source said this!!!!

Rastak
03-07-2023, 04:12 PM
Maybe he also finally had a meeting with the packers where they agreed to all this?

Haven’t read anything about it, but it’s just a random guess, so nobody go spreading this around the inter webs claiming a source said this!!!!

Might have been Trey Wingo, really not sure. Andrew Brandt mentioned "Why is Rodgers in Green Bay" I believe.

King Friday
03-07-2023, 04:12 PM
There is WAY too much smoke in the air at this point for this all to simply be media pukes driving clickbait. The chances of Rodgers being traded go up every day. His contract is not some miracle that prevents a trade. As Tex likes to say, the salary cap is very flexible. So are most NFL contracts. There is always an out somewhere that can be taken advantage of. This contract will prove to be no different.

red
03-07-2023, 04:18 PM
I also heard on the radio(speculation) that the packers would somehow have to rework his deal before a trade to make it easier for them to offload him and for the new team to then be able to get him under the cap

Not sure how this would work, but it makes since with that goofy 60 million dollar bonus out there

If nothing is done to the contract, then we almost have to wait till june 1st to trade him

Rastak
03-07-2023, 04:37 PM

I just saw the Jets staff has landed in California which makes 100% more sense.

run pMc
03-07-2023, 04:49 PM
Tex is a Rodgers stan. Ignore him like he ignores facts and data.

The JETS coaches and ownership landed in California to meet with Rodgers. He's under contract with the Packers, so clearly GB is ready to trade him. This isn't legal tampering, this one team having permission to talk to another team's player about joining them. There's significance to that.

At a minimum, it implies GB and NYJ have trade framework in place, and NYJ are out there selling him on the trade. If they can't convince him to go along with a trade, that could get interesting and uncomfortable.
Gonna be a fascinating time leading up to the new season.

MadtownPacker
03-07-2023, 09:42 PM
Tex gonna have egg on his face soonDamn, I can’t believe you only said egg. :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-07-2023, 09:45 PM
Media pukes and shitheads.

Sure seems like the reports that Rodgers spoke with NYJ has some legs to it, and he's been very quiet (when he could easily shoot rumors down), so one would think there's truth to this.
If Rodgers is talking to another team, GB has made its preference known at the 2023 QB spot.
Departure starting to sound likely.

MadtownPacker
03-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Don’t forget all the time he called everyone who thought he would be traded, shitheads or dumb asses or and other childish name his feeble brain could come up with

Stupid worthless fuck probably doesn’t remember making any of his posts anywaysHey hey calm down!! Tex was referring to you all those times so he wasn’t wrong about that.

MadtownPacker
03-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Yeah, and what am I saying that's any different now?
Tex stick to your guns, fuck all these guys. Bunch of pukes if you ask me. If you put them in the same room as the media the media would be the better half. Even lawyers would be better than them. Not even worthy of being experimented on like rats in a cage.

MadtownPacker
03-07-2023, 10:06 PM
Might have been Trey Wingo, really not sure. Andrew Brandt mentioned "Why is Rodgers in Green Bay" I believe.
Don’t worry in two years the headline will read Vikings in New York.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2023, 10:55 PM
If I’m the Jets, why am I not looking at Lamar right now? I don’t get it. Not as good of a pure passer but a lot less flaky, younger, more certainty, similar contract, etc. collusion league wide around Lamar for sure.

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2023, 11:20 PM
Tex stick to your guns, fuck all these guys. Bunch of pukes if you ask me. If you put them in the same room as the media the media would be the better half. Even lawyers would be better than them. Not even worthy of being experimented on like rats in a cage.

Oh, don't worry, I will. Some of them in here are halfway reasonable, and some are just plain dumbasses.

As to who turns out to be right and who turns out to be wrong, I guess we'll see. One thing that's sure, though, if those dumbasses get what they crave, it will be dark times ahead for all of us. I say again, I stand by saying it ain't gonna happen. Be careful what ya'all wish for.

KingFriday's post above is kinda interesting. Yes, it would take something like that for a trade to happen, and I'm fairly sure such an "out" doesn't exist.

Fosco33
03-08-2023, 07:19 AM
Does the ability to understand sarcasm diminish with age?

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 07:40 AM
If I’m the Jets, why am I not looking at Lamar right now? I don’t get it. Not as good of a pure passer but a lot less flaky, younger, more certainty, similar contract, etc. collusion league wide around Lamar for sure.

Because he wants a guaranteed contract even though he's missed 5 games each of the last 2 years. He has a style of play that usually doesn't lead to longevity.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2023, 07:43 AM
Because he wants a guaranteed contract even though he's missed 5 games each of the last 2 years. He has a style of play that usually doesn't lead to longevity.

Want and receive are two different things. I want a guaranteed contract too. It’s not gonna happen for either of us.

Rastak
03-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Want and receive are two different things. I want a guaranteed contract too. It’s not gonna happen for either of us.

They also have to cough up 2 1st rounds picks which is gauranteed.

Jereamiah
03-08-2023, 09:05 AM
#1: The Packers gave explicit permission for Rodgers to speak with the Jets. #2: Basically the entire Jets front office flew out to Cali to meet up with the Guru. I mean, it's obvious what's happening. Pack wants to trade him, he wants to BE traded. He's going to be traded. Ill wager it's announced by Friday.

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 09:34 AM
There's a 95% chance he won't be back with the Packers. At this point he's likely trying to decide whether he wants to play with the Jets or retire.

Rastak
03-08-2023, 10:26 AM
"Will Aaron Rodgers soon be leaving on a Jets plane?

“We’ll find out,” Jets owner Woody Johnson said Tuesday upon departing the Southern California eatery Lucky following a whirlwind Tuesday that included a sit-down with the Packers quarterback at his Malibu home."

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/aaron-rodgers-update-jets-woody-johnson-comments-on-meeting/

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2023, 11:05 AM
Does the ability to understand sarcasm diminish with age?

I generally HATE sarcasm. Even if I recognize it, I generally reply to the face value of it, hoping to piss off the purveyors of the stupid sarcasm.

This Lamar Jackson situation is interesting. If there is anybody in the whole NFL who I would consider an adequate replacement for Rodgers, it's him - if he can stay healthy, of course, which he probably can't. Maybe when the Jets figure out they aren't gonna get Rodgers, they'll go after Jackson. Am I now degenerating into sarcasm myself? Not really ...... well maybe a little bit.

Fritz
03-08-2023, 11:26 AM
"Will Aaron Rodgers soon be leaving on a Jets plane?

“We’ll find out,” Jets owner Woody Johnson said Tuesday upon departing the Southern California eatery Lucky following a whirlwind Tuesday that included a sit-down with the Packers quarterback at his Malibu home."

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/aaron-rodgers-update-jets-woody-johnson-comments-on-meeting/

I wonder if there are conditions on both sides - maybe Rodgers wants assurances they'll sign one or two of his security blankets? Maybe the Jest want assurances Rodgers will play for two years and not just one?

Wow. This thing seems to be under way. Now, what a blow to the balls it would be to the Packers to find out Rodgers is just going to retire, right when they think they might get some compensation for him.

Sorry, Tex. But it would be hard for Rodgers to come back now. Not impossible, but tough. It's like talking divorce with your wife, and actually moving to a hotel for a while as you are flirting and fooling around with another woman, then deciding you don't want that divorce.

Fosco33
03-08-2023, 11:29 AM
I generally HATE sarcasm. Even if I recognize it, I generally reply to the face value of it, hoping to piss off the purveyors of the stupid sarcasm.

This Lamar Jackson situation is interesting. If there is anybody in the whole NFL who I would consider an adequate replacement for Rodgers, it's him - if he can stay healthy, of course, which he probably can't. Maybe when the Jets figure out they aren't gonna get Rodgers, they'll go after Jackson. Am I now degenerating into sarcasm myself? Not really ...... well maybe a little bit.

Well shit. Now you won’t know when I’m being purposefully sarcastic or serious. Muaaahhhaaa

Rastak
03-08-2023, 11:55 AM
I wonder if there are conditions on both sides - maybe Rodgers wants assurances they'll sign one or two of his security blankets? Maybe the Jest want assurances Rodgers will play for two years and not just one?

Wow. This thing seems to be under way. Now, what a blow to the balls it would be to the Packers to find out Rodgers is just going to retire, right when they think they might get some compensation for him.

Sorry, Tex. But it would be hard for Rodgers to come back now. Not impossible, but tough. It's like talking divorce with your wife, and actually moving to a hotel for a while as you are flirting and fooling around with another woman, then deciding you don't want that divorce.

I would imagine Jets and Rodgers do have to work out some details before he gives the green light. I can picture Rodgers just retiring or accepting a trade. Gute already said Love has to play, that was a direct quote so I can't see him coming back unless he tries to force it.

Fritz
03-08-2023, 12:15 PM
I would imagine Jets and Rodgers do have to work out some details before he gives the green light. I can picture Rodgers just retiring or accepting a trade. Gute already said Love has to play, that was a direct quote so I can't see him coming back unless he tries to force it.

I'd have to agree - at this point it looks more and more like either it's retire or play for the Jets.

This sounds kinda dumb, but what the hell, it's just a football fan site, so I'll say it: What number is Rodgers going to wear if he goes to NY? Broadway Joe was #12 and that has been retired. So do the Jets have to go to Namath and pay him some money (so he doesn't have to do those medicare supplement commercials any more) and talk him into giving his blessing to Rodgers wearing #12?

run pMc
03-08-2023, 12:30 PM
I'd have to agree - at this point it looks more and more like either it's retire or play for the Jets.

This sounds kinda dumb, but what the hell, it's just a football fan site, so I'll say it: What number is Rodgers going to wear if he goes to NY? Broadway Joe was #12 and that has been retired. So do the Jets have to go to Namath and pay him some money (so he doesn't have to do those medicare supplement commercials any more) and talk him into giving his blessing to Rodgers wearing #12?

I think Namath would just give his blessing...HOFer to FHOFer. It would be a nice story and get him in the papers.

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 12:35 PM

I've heard Namath has said he'd be okay with Rodgers wearing 12. But for symmetry with what happened in 2008, I think Rodgers should go with 4, which is what he wore at Butte.

https://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0121%2Fr962018_3_600x428cc .jpg&w=570&h=407&format=jpg

Fritz
03-08-2023, 01:08 PM
I think Namath would just give his blessing...HOFer to FHOFer. It would be a nice story and get him in the papers.

The old time NFL guys got really jerked around by the league - concussions, permanantly disabling injuries, no ability to work where you want to, lousy pay - I would like to see the Jets help out ol' Broadway Joe. It's sad to see him shilling for some medicare supplemental insurance company. I know he blew his money, but he didn't get paid well in his NFL career, and I'd like to see the Jets help him out.Grease the palm. Maybe even tell him he'd earn it by calling up Rodgers and giving him a sales pitch to come to NY. Though I'm not sure that would work. If Broadway Joe was calling up Brent Favre, maybe - hey, man, the chicks are 24-7 relentlessly hot and young and eager, man! - but I'm not sure he'd connect well with Rodgers.

Okay. Changed my own mind. Just give Joe a check, and tell him to tell the world he's excited about Rodgers coming to New York to wear the #12.

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Is this Tex? (Not a political comment).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fqq9eQ3X0AAmirv?format=jpg&name=large

jklowan
03-08-2023, 01:16 PM
awesome

red
03-08-2023, 02:41 PM

there is no way he's retiring

$60 million

is namath even allowed in the building anymore of he got drunk and tried to hit on a girl a 3rd of his age on live TV?

KYPack
03-08-2023, 03:09 PM
If the Packers do trade ARod to the Jets, Joe should trade Tex to a Jets forum.

Please?

Jaire
03-08-2023, 04:50 PM
I think it's a done deal... They are just quibbling over draft compensation right now. Some rumors it's not gonna take a first, which I could see. ... This was in the works probably back in January already, with the GB front office when Hackett was hired.

red
03-08-2023, 05:20 PM

Please?

trade him for a future late round lurker

Bretsky
03-08-2023, 05:42 PM

Please?

Wait, can we make trade requests ??? :)

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 05:43 PM

I miss Lurker.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1633182225108996097

sharpe1027
03-08-2023, 07:14 PM

How much dead posting room would we be stuck with?

MadScientist
03-08-2023, 07:14 PM
I think it's a done deal... They are just quibbling over draft compensation right now. Some rumors it's not gonna take a first, which I could see. ... This was in the works probably back in January already, with the GB front office when Hackett was hired.

It doesn't make sense to send the team's brass to visit Rodgers if they want to haggle about draft picks. More likely they have a deal (or close to it) in place which got them permission to talk to Rodgers. They are now trying to convince Rodgers that his best chance to win the SB is with the Jets the next two years, and trying to work out a restructuring that works for both.

Rastak
03-08-2023, 07:21 PM
It doesn't make sense to send the team's brass to visit Rodgers if they want to haggle about draft picks. More likely they have a deal (or close to it) in place which got them permission to talk to Rodgers. They are now trying to convince Rodgers that his best chance to win the SB is with the Jets the next two years, and trying to work out a restructuring that works for both.

That's most likely but if Rodgers tells them to go get fucked there were be no point in hammering out terms.

edit: On further reflection if that was his attitude why even have them fly out. I think you are likely right on your comments.

Bretsky
03-08-2023, 07:42 PM
Reports coming out that da Raiders are not interested in Karen Favre and the Jets compensation is only a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick in round 3 in 2023.

Man, if that is all GB is getting they must really be sick of Karen's dramatic bullshit and McGinn scooped everything weeks ago

Joemailman
03-08-2023, 08:00 PM
Reports coming out that da Raiders are not interested in Karen Favre and the Jets compensation is only a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick in round 3 in 2023.

Man, if that is all GB is getting they must really be sick of Karen's dramatic bullshit and McGinn scooped everything weeks ago

I think it goes back to last spring. They gave him an extension that he wanted to assure he could finish his career with Packers. He then didn't show up for any of the optional off-season workouts and practices.

Fosco33
03-08-2023, 08:22 PM

If that’s it - I hope he retires or comes back to the pack

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2023, 09:12 PM
I do wonder how badly the Packers want him gone. Would he be sly enough to say F no to the Jets and only Niners? Would the Packers do it? Man, that would be a top tier roster for sure.

If I’m ARod, I’m trying to pull that one off. If they truly know that if he’s back in GB Love is gone and they really like Love, then Rodgers actually has a shit load of leverage.

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2023, 09:59 PM
You guys seriously believe the fake news shit ya'all are passing along? Sheeeesh.

red
03-08-2023, 10:22 PM

the jets fans are flat out demanding the team trade for eric, if all we get is a second for him, then gutes can follow him right out the door

he learned well from favre, pulling this maybe i'll retire bullshit. we got nothing for him either, and he played 3 more seasons

RashanGary
03-09-2023, 08:15 AM
You guys seriously believe the fake news shit ya'all are passing along? Sheeeesh.

I been telling ya the contract promotes trade. You’ll see.

run pMc
03-09-2023, 08:31 AM
A 2nd sounds low, until you consider he's basically a 40 year old QB with a giant roster bonus due, a subpar (for him) season last year, and might only play for a year.
Also, there's nobody else really competing for him in the trade market. Raiders don't appear interested, and Rodgers likely wouldn't go to the Panthers.

An additional pick with conditions isn't horrible either. If he plays two years for NYJ or has a great year for them, GB gets some value there. So let's say they get the NYJ pick at #43 this year, and Rodgers does enough to turn a condition R3 into a low R2 in 2024. That's not really that bad. Favre got a conditional R4 pick IIRC.

Rodgers only has to show up for 3 days in the offseason to get a $50K, and unless he does a 180 from last year that will probably be what they get from him before camp. The guy makes career decisions based on darkness retreats and psychedelics, and demands old friends be signed to the roster. Oh yeah, he has an albatross of a contract (thanks Russ Ball) and played like an 8-9 QB. Yeah, I'd bet they're sick of him.

run pMc
03-09-2023, 08:35 AM
I do wonder how badly the Packers want him gone. Would he be sly enough to say F no to the Jets and only Niners? Would the Packers do it? Man, that would be a top tier roster for sure.

If I’m ARod, I’m trying to pull that one off. If they truly know that if he’s back in GB Love is gone and they really like Love, then Rodgers actually has a shit load of leverage.

Except the Niners have Purdy and Lantz and their earliest pick is in R3 at #99.
The NYJ brass aren't traveling to talk to Rodgers unless a framework for trade comp is in place. They're out there to sell Rodgers on the trade, and figuring out his retirement plans.

Jaire
03-09-2023, 08:38 AM

As reported, Woody wanted to meet AR before closing the deal. Now they are haggling with GB over picks and salary. AR was already (half) in before the visit. Clearly, the Jets planned to get AR before they hired Hackett, and GB already was working on it before Rodgers went into the darkness. This wasn't out of the blue

Fritz
03-09-2023, 08:51 AM
If that’s it - I hope he retires or comes back to the pack

Nah, Fosco. There was a good article in ACME today about why the Packers might only be able to get a second and a conditional pick for Rodgers. Mostly, as others have said, how big the contract is, how old Rodgers is, and whether he will or won't commit to playing at least two more years.

I'd be fine if they got that for Rodgers, even if they have to pony up some cash to pay for part of Rodgers's contract, which also is being discussed. It's just time to move on. They tried the "run it back" thing last year, and got to about the 18 yard line.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2023, 10:09 AM
I been telling ya the contract promotes trade. You’ll see.

And every time you say it, I've been telling you that you're dead wrong. Actually, we won't see, because he ain't gonna be traded or retire either.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2023, 10:15 AM
Nah, Fosco. There was a good article in ACME today about why the Packers might only be able to get a second and a conditional pick for Rodgers. Mostly, as others have said, how big the contract is, how old Rodgers is, and whether he will or won't commit to playing at least two more years.

I'd be fine if they got that for Rodgers, even if they have to pony up some cash to pay for part of Rodgers's contract, which also is being discussed. It's just time to move on. They tried the "run it back" thing last year, and got to about the 18 yard line.

You really seriously WANT to doom the team to losing for the foreseeable future? While many in here actually seem to have that mindset of stupidity, and the God damned media shitheads likely do WANT to see the Packers go down the drain, I would strongly suggest that the Packer brass just aren't that damn dumb. Rodgers has expressed a desire to finish his career in Green Bay. LaFleur, etc. has consistently said he wants Rodgers in Green Bay. And together they put together a contract that makes it extremely unlikely for anything other to happen. WHY are so many weirdly and inexplicably buying this fake news SHIT about moving on?

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2023, 10:26 AM
What else can LaFleur say? "No, we don't want that prima donna who is out of shape and mailed it in after signing his contract to be our QB anymore"? He's obviously not going to say that.

The writing is on the wall Tex. They're moving on. I would be shocked at this point if he's not dealt or retires. Rapoport don't lie.

Joemailman
03-09-2023, 10:38 AM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Jets are releasing WR Braxton Berrios at the start of the league year next week, per source. The two sides discussed a restructuring of his contract but were unable to reach agreement. His release will save $5 million against Jets’ cap.

Jets starting to clear some cap room. They don't need a ton since Rodgers' cap hit for them would only be about 15 million in 2023. Unless the contract is restructured somehow.

Sparkey
03-09-2023, 10:40 AM
And every time you say it, I've been telling you that you're dead wrong. Actually, we won't see, because he ain't gonna be traded or retire either.

Tex, just out of curiosity, what is your take on the Jets owner GM, HC and OC visiting Rodgers in California ? Just to get a round of golf in ?

run pMc
03-09-2023, 11:13 AM
Jets starting to clear some cap room. They don't need a ton since Rodgers' cap hit for them would only be about 15 million in 2023. Unless the contract is restructured somehow.

Word is they might move on from Jordan Whitehead to clear up about 7M in space and help absorb the $4M they need for newly acquired Chuck Clark. Swapping safeties and gaining 3M in cap space.

Fritz
03-09-2023, 11:40 AM
Word is they might move on from Jordan Whitehead to clear up about 7M in space and help absorb the $4M they need for newly acquired Chuck Clark. Swapping safeties and gaining 3M in cap space.

We'll know it's happening when the Jets announce that they're signing some combination of Mercedes Lewis, Randall Cobb, Robert Tonyan and Allen Lazard. Any two of those.

pittstang5
03-09-2023, 01:13 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again - I just want all this drama to stop. Is AR playing, is he retiring, does he want to be traded? Make a damn decision and let's move on.

However, I will admit if he is traded, a 2nd rounder seems awfully light. What did Denver give up for R. Wilson? Yeah, I know, a little different situation, but I'd think AR is worth at least a 2nd and a 3rd this year and next year's 1st or at least a 2nd next year. Personally, I'd want a #1 this year at the very least, but I'm just a dumb Packer Fan.

I just don't want what happened with #4 to occur again, i.e. Rogers plays for the Jets for a year, The Jets release him and he signs with, say Chicago, and AR beats the Packs' ass for another couple years.

Jereamiah
03-09-2023, 01:54 PM
I did mention this before, but Rodgers hijacked the Packers. The front office should have stuck to their guns when they drafted love. Denver would have traded heaven and earth to get Rodgers. They would have mortgaged their future. Instead, the Pack folded like a rotten shack in an Oklahoma wind. Backpeddled so fast it looked like they were sprinting in reverse. They shitcanned their plans for Love to mollify Rodgers and look how that worked out. Loss to Detroit to miss the playoffs....Now? The team might only pull a 2nd rounder for him from the Jets. What a series of blunders. What a trajectory of complete ineptitude from that front office. What a total and complete missapplication of resources for a player on the downside of his career. Serious question: how else would you describe the series of events starting with Love being drafted? The entire affair is a master-class on what a front office SHOULDN'T DO. How they didn't take the Broncos for all they were worth when they had the chance? I'll never understand that

Jaire
03-09-2023, 02:08 PM
2020 They draft Love instead of pulling out the stops for an SB run after a 13-3 season. I don't know what delusional self-assessment the Packers were doing, but clearly they missed a lot this year.

2021 Love looks horrible. Rodgers gets another MVP

2022 Love still looks not ready during preseason. MLF was not ready to move on in spring. Whose fault is that?

How, again, is this Rodgers' fault? Did he get in Gute's ear and have him draft Love?

"hijack the Packers".. please. This was an FO / coaching failure.

Tony Oday
03-09-2023, 02:09 PM
AR is not causing any drama at all its the media. He didn't say he retired and came back people just want clicks.

texaspackerbacker
03-09-2023, 02:10 PM
What else can LaFleur say? "No, we don't want that prima donna who is out of shape and mailed it in after signing his contract to be our QB anymore"? He's obviously not going to say that.

The writing is on the wall Tex. They're moving on. I would be shocked at this point if he's not dealt or retires. Rapoport don't lie.

Yeah Right hahahahahahahaha. Keep swallowing - as is your history.

Jaire
03-09-2023, 02:19 PM
AR is not causing any drama at all its the media. He didn't say he retired and came back people just want clicks.

Exactly. Rodgers went into his darkness retreat, which became national news because the media found out. It's still not March 15, but I am sure that Green Bay knows his decision by now. The only thing I gleaned from his post darkness interview was that he narrowed down three options (GB, a new team, or retire) to two options: but he did not give a clear signal as to which two. CERTAINLY Green Bay is trying to frame it like it's AR's decision, but they have moved on and want to make it look like AR has moved on. The Jets and GB have already COMPLETELY framed it and AR can go along, retire or look like a complete jerk. I'm really not sure what's going on, but at least the best sources are making it look like everyone is waiting right now for AR's decision. NO ONE is "hostage" except for AR here: they did a pretty brilliant job boxing him in, tbh

edit: ok. Listened to Rich Eisen. Apparently it's in AR's court. ..... but it's just been two days; AR is not "dragging" anything out or holding anyone "hostage' -- his choice is Jets or retiire (and he's also not allowed to talk to any other team under tampering rules). Obviously, they are pushing for a decision by AR soon and also framing it so that he's the fall guy if it falls through...... interesting. And it's not just Eisen, but the NY media are all framing it this way, straight from the FO of the Jets. (I'm pretty sure, the NFL would like to see AR play in NY also.)

Jaire
03-09-2023, 03:27 PM
There is likely something else going on imo.

I think AR plays this year. I think he likes the Jets. BUT if I am AR, I am doing everything I possibly can to get to San Fran. That's his real shot at a SB and his preferred destination, pretty sure. They don't have a QB to start next year. They wanted him two years ago and have to want him twice as much now.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2023, 03:40 PM
2020 They draft Love instead of pulling out the stops for an SB run after a 13-3 season. I don't know what delusional self-assessment the Packers were doing, but clearly they missed a lot this year.

2021 Love looks horrible. Rodgers gets another MVP

2022 Love still looks not ready during preseason. MLF was not ready to move on in spring. Whose fault is that?

How, again, is this Rodgers' fault? Did he get in Gute's ear and have him draft Love?

"hijack the Packers".. please. This was an FO / coaching failure.

When you're right, you're right, but I think we can also agree that Sharon is a big drama queen.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2023, 03:42 PM
There is likely something else going on imo.

I think AR plays this year. I think he likes the Jets. BUT if I am AR, I am doing everything I possibly can to get to San Fran. That's his real shot at a SB and his preferred destination, pretty sure. They don't have a QB to start next year. They wanted him two years ago and have to want him twice as much now.

That's why I kinda wonder if he just says "no" to the Jets. What are the Packers gonna do? If they like Love, and respect the guy and what he's done, why not give him the Manning treatment and let him pick his spot. I think they should have done it with Favre and do it now with Rodgers.

Joemailman
03-09-2023, 03:47 PM
That's why I kinda wonder if he just says "no" to the Jets. What are the Packers gonna do? If they like Love, and respect the guy and what he's done, why not give him the Manning treatment and let him pick his spot. I think they should have done it with Favre and do it now with Rodgers.

Maybe they did, and the Jets were the only ones interested.

Jaire
03-09-2023, 05:10 PM
I forgot the Manning deal: that makes too much sense (except division rivals of course).

I just remembered Gute said he would do a post June 1 cut to minimize AR's cap hit. Then, AR would be free to go where he wants. Come to think of it, this is all smoke and mirrors. GB is trying to get something for AR (not unreasonable). The Jets desperately want their savior (also understandable). But the reality is: GB is DONE with AR and there is nothing AR can do except wait until June. GB is moving forward and has turned the page. They would prefer not to have a drama filled off season. GB actually has no leverage at all. That is an interesting twist to this plot for me.

It comes down to one thing only: does AR see the Jets as his best choice? THAT is the only real question. Maybe he has different plans; or it may very well be that San Fran is NOT interested and the Jets are AR's goal. But the media (esp the Jets) have framed it as if AR is deciding whether or not he is retiring. It's also interesting that GB has NOT agreed to the Jets' offer and there are rumors GB wants a first.

Regardless, the "hostage crisis", AR's "dragging his feet" etc etc are GB & Jets storyline and framing. They want to get this done asap. But, AR has every reason to wait. He will be free June 1 to do whatever he wants.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2023, 09:07 PM
Maybe they did, and the Jets were the only ones interested.

Zero percent chance Niners wouldn’t take him if he was available for low capital IMO.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2023, 09:08 PM
I just cannot see skinny Matt up there having the gravitas to say the train has left the station.

Rumors circulating online that Bak is going too. Why would they give up a relatively young and elite LT?

run pMc
03-10-2023, 07:39 AM
Bakhtiari's 32 and on his 3rd contract. He's young relative to Trent Williams or Jason Peters, but he's not young and he's also had a lot of health issues lately.
Personally I'd prefer they keep him and redo his contract; if he and Jenkins are on their game they elevate the OL and if Love is the QB they absolutely need the best OL they can get.

I just remembered Gute said he would do a post June 1 cut to minimize AR's cap hit.
When did he say this? I've heard nothing except the same GM-speak about wanting him back if he's all in. I've never heard him say he's cutting AR Post June 1.

If he publicly said he was going to cut AR, why would anyone trade for him? Would be smarter to just wait for GB to cut him so you could sign him to a new contract.

RashanGary
03-10-2023, 08:04 AM
If you trade for him you get him at 4 years 36M per year. Less than Daniel Jones. That’s closer to top WR money than top QB. The packers eat 10M per year. It’s a good contract to trade for, I don’t care what the media says.

Fritz
03-10-2023, 08:07 AM
Zero percent chance Niners wouldn’t take him if he was available for low capital IMO.

Maybe so, but then why would Rodgers, in that golf tournament last month, adamantly insist he wasn't going to San Fran? My guess is Guter told him he wouldn't trade Arod to an NFC team. Or else Rodgers somehow hates Shanny?

Jaire
03-10-2023, 09:14 AM
Maybe so, but then why would Rodgers, in that golf tournament last month, adamantly insist he wasn't going to San Fran? My guess is Guter told him he wouldn't trade Arod to an NFC team. Or else Rodgers somehow hates Shanny?

As I understand the contract, AR can go whereever he wants (outside the division). He has all the leverage imo. Maybe, the problem with San Fran is money, maybe the real draw was Saleh. .... Money seems to be holding up the Jets deal now. It will be interesting to see the final numbers on the trade deal. Packers save the most and AR gets the most money by getting traded.

Sparkey
03-10-2023, 09:24 AM
NY Jets and Packers have agreed to compensation for Aaron Rodgers trade

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-packers-agreed-compensation-aaron-rodgers-trade

sharpe1027
03-10-2023, 09:31 AM
As I understand the contract, AR can go whereever he wants (outside the division). He has all the leverage imo. Maybe, the problem with San Fran is money, maybe the real draw was Saleh. .... Money seems to be holding up the Jets deal now. It will be interesting to see the final numbers on the trade deal. Packers save the most and AR gets the most money by getting traded.

Rodgers has leverage, but he doesn't have all the leverage. He stands to lose a lot of money depending on how it plays out. He also seems to care what people think about him and he'd look bad using some of that leverage.

Jaire
03-10-2023, 10:44 AM
hmmm. I just watched AR shooting down the San Fran possibility. I wonder.......

No idea what happened when the 2021 trade to Denver was announced during draft day or why the trade to Denver seemed to fall through last year or why they signed AR to the crazy deal he has now. none of it makes any sense to me, including San Fran being off the table now unless GB's asking price was too high...... So, if I'm AR, I'm tipping San Fran on the trade price. I don't know how for a one year deal, San Fran and AR are not ideal. And AR said he'd rework his contract when SF was still in play.

run pMc
03-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Rodgers has leverage, but he doesn't have all the leverage. He stands to lose a lot of money depending on how it plays out. He also seems to care what people think about him and he'd look bad using some of that leverage.

Rodgers has a good bit of leverage, but the lack of a no-trade clause gives GB some leverage, as does any desire AR has to keep playing.
My guess is AR wants to keep playing based on everything he's said on McAfee, and GB said he could come back if he agreed to certain terms else they are moving on to Love.
I'm also guessing everyone is going to keep mum until just before Mar 15, and if/when AR is traded he does his thing to control the narrative about the situation. Keeping quiet makes it look like he's mulling retirement, I think it's most likely that he's going to NYJ.

I wonder if they intentionally gave him that crazy contract knowing they were going to give him one more year no matter what.

I suspect all the news on this -- about comp being agreed to, etc. -- is being leaked from the NYJ, which if true could really bite them if it falls through.

run pMc
03-10-2023, 10:53 AM
hmmm. I just watched AR shooting down the San Fran possibility. I wonder.......

No idea what happened when the 2021 trade to Denver was announced during draft day or why the trade to Denver seemed to fall through last year or why they signed AR to the crazy deal he has now. none of it makes any sense to me, including San Fran being off the table now unless GB's asking price was too high...... So, if I'm AR, I'm tipping San Fran on the trade price. I don't know how for a one year deal, San Fran and AR are not ideal. And AR said he'd rework his contract when SF was still in play.

The Jets are in the AFC, have an owner who has been fairly public about getting AR, and their QB situation (Zach Wilson) is more dire than SF's. Plus they have picks.

SF highest pick in the draft is #99. Jets have 3 picks earlier than that.
I don't know how much cap space SF has, but their FO has been a lot quieter about AR, and they haven't been given permission to talk to AR. Probably because they are in the NFC and something of a rival in recent years.
It's entirely possible Shanahan feels like he can win with Purdy/Lantz and doesn't want the AR headaches, or maybe the FO is telling Shanahan to let those young QBs play and develop.

bobblehead
03-10-2023, 11:23 AM
This is a lot of emotional and bad takes all packed into the last 2 pages. I feel like I'm in FYI.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2023, 11:43 AM
Right - along with a shit ton of fake news.

Jaire
03-10-2023, 12:13 PM

It's entirely possible Shanahan feels like he can win with Purdy/Lantz and doesn't want the AR headaches, or maybe the FO is telling Shanahan to let those young QBs play and develop.

You're probably right.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2023, 12:14 PM
The Jets are in the AFC, have an owner who has been fairly public about getting AR, and their QB situation (Zach Wilson) is more dire than SF's. Plus they have picks.

SF highest pick in the draft is #99. Jets have 3 picks earlier than that.
I don't know how much cap space SF has, but their FO has been a lot quieter about AR, and they haven't been given permission to talk to AR. Probably because they are in the NFC and something of a rival in recent years.

Right but if Rodgers go to the Niners they're the clear front runner for super bowl favorite in NFC. I would think that would be very appealing to him. I am really surprised he hasn't tried to leverage his way there or Seattle, who I also think is going to be sneaky good and has money to go and sign some folks too.

run pMc
03-10-2023, 12:30 PM
Geno Smith signed a 3 yr/100M contract with Seattle. They aren't trading for AR.

I agree SF would be the clear NFC favorite if they got AR, which is probably why GB doesn't want to trade him there. GB controls where AR goes as much as he does. If AR says he'd only play for SF then I suspect GB would just tell him to enjoy retirement.
That's ignoring SF's lack of draft picks to trade, unless 3 very late R3 picks is enough compensation. My guess is NYJ are offering something better.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Geno Smith signed a 3 yr/100M contract with Seattle. They aren't trading for AR.

I agree SF would be the clear NFC favorite if they got AR, which is probably why GB doesn't want to trade him there. GB controls where AR goes as much as he does. If AR says he'd only play for SF then I suspect GB would just tell him to enjoy retirement.
That's ignoring SF's lack of draft picks to trade, unless 3 very late R3 picks is enough compensation. My guess is NYJ are offering something better.

They aren't now for sure, but it is surprising they didn't pursue this before signing that deal.

GB can't tell him to enjoy retirement, he can easily just say okay I'll play for you, and what are they going to do, start Love over him? I don't think they'd do that. They would trade him somewhere and if he was steadfast in saying no to the other team then they'd have to release him and he'd get where he wants to go anyway.

red
03-10-2023, 01:34 PM
i think some people, on here and in NY, are getting aaron rodgers confused with aaron rodgers

current aaron rodgers isn't 2020 aaron rodgers, he's a far cry from it

the 2020 version might make the jets or 49ers super bowl favorites, but not the current one. jimmy g was having a better year then rodgers before he got injured, purdy and a much better run then rodgers had

so how does a declining rodgers make the 49ers better then they were last year when they had 2 better QBs. and why in the hell would the 49ers even want him ? they already have 2 young decent QBs on the roster, one who looks better then #12

run pMc
03-10-2023, 02:12 PM
They aren't now for sure, but it is surprising they didn't pursue this before signing that deal.

GB can't tell him to enjoy retirement, he can easily just say okay I'll play for you, and what are they going to do, start Love over him? I don't think they'd do that. They would trade him somewhere and if he was steadfast in saying no to the other team then they'd have to release him and he'd get where he wants to go anyway.

Except he doesn't have a no-trade clause, so they can trade him for peanuts and he can't do anything except retire. Only way he can veto is by retiring... once another team has his rights he's their player.
This is all hypothetical stuff anyway. There have been plenty of press conference lies, but if this was headed for an acrimonious split there would be word of it by now. Also, I'm pretty sure both sides want to avoid that -- they saw what happened with Favre and are being careful about how this plays out in public.

run pMc
03-10-2023, 02:13 PM
i think some people, on here and in NY, are getting aaron rodgers confused with aaron rodgers

current aaron rodgers isn't 2020 aaron rodgers, he's a far cry from it

the 2020 version might make the jets or 49ers super bowl favorites, but not the current one. jimmy g was having a better year then rodgers before he got injured, purdy and a much better run then rodgers had

so how does a declining rodgers make the 49ers better then they were last year when they had 2 better QBs. and why in the hell would the 49ers even want him ? they already have 2 young decent QBs on the roster, one who looks better then #12

This is all very true.

Rastak
03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Except he doesn't have a no-trade clause, so they can trade him for peanuts and he can't do anything except retire. Only way he can veto is by retiring... once another team has his rights he's their player.
This is all hypothetical stuff anyway. There have been plenty of press conference lies, but if this was headed for an acrimonious split there would be word of it by now. Also, I'm pretty sure both sides want to avoid that -- they saw what happened with Favre and are being careful about how this plays out in public.

Why would anyone trade even a bag of footballs for someone who refuses to play for them? Any team would talk to Rodgers before pulling the trigger on anything.

red
03-10-2023, 03:04 PM
bahk just restructured his contract

he's not going to the jets

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/packers-create-salary-cap-space-by-restructuring-david-bakhtiaris-contract/

tema turned a 9.5 million dollar roster bonus and 5.5 million dollar base salary and turned it into a signing bonus

move frees up 7.5 million in cap space

run pMc
03-10-2023, 03:09 PM
bahk just restructured his contract

he's not going to the jets

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/packers-create-salary-cap-space-by-restructuring-david-bakhtiaris-contract/

tema turned a 9.5 million dollar roster bonus and 5.5 million dollar base salary and turned it into a signing bonus

move frees up 7.5 million in cap space

Makes less sense to trade him now.
Looks like they restructured without adding void years. Maybe they are trying to control their cap a bit tighter in the wake of the AR contract?
They can't cut Rodgers, if they did he'd count 99M against the 2023 cap.

run pMc
03-10-2023, 03:12 PM
Why would anyone trade even a bag of footballs for someone who refuses to play for them? Any team would talk to Rodgers before pulling the trigger on anything.

Correct. Which is exactly why NYJ requested and received permission by GB to talk to AR. There's no deal if he vetos the trade. Honestly, if he wants to keep playing and GB wants to trade him to the NYJ, that's not a bad deal for AR. It would make them at least a strong wildcard contender if not threat to win the AFCE. They have skill players and a good defense. it's not like they are trying to trade him to the Texans.

red
03-10-2023, 03:14 PM
Makes less sense to trade him now.
Looks like they restructured without adding void years. Maybe they are trying to control their cap a bit tighter in the wake of the AR contract?
They can't cut Rodgers, if they did he'd count 99M against the 2023 cap.

maybe the team is trying to free up enough cap space to trade rodgers ASAP and take the whole hit this year

jklowan
03-10-2023, 03:16 PM
Or Gary's new contract is about to be signed - fingers crossed

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2023, 03:24 PM
maybe the team is trying to free up enough cap space to trade rodgers ASAP and take the whole hit this year

Maybe, but then why push Bak's back a year? Functionally, it's the same thing right?

sharpe1027
03-10-2023, 03:40 PM
If Bak is part of the trade, this might sweeten the deal for the Jets because I think the Packers would take the full hit for his signing bonus this year upon a trade.

Fosco33
03-10-2023, 03:48 PM
I really don’t want to see AR leave. But a package w/ him and Bak and others - heck yeah

Fritz
03-10-2023, 03:54 PM
If Bak is part of the trade, this might sweeten the deal for the Jets because I think the Packers would take the full hit for his signing bonus this year upon a trade.

Since we have no new facts, we all just keep pitching possibilities out there. It's crazy but it's kinda fun. This one is interesting. I know very little about the Jets, so I don't know - what's their left tackle situation?

As for Rodgers going to San Fran, you'd think they might be a team who would want to give Rodgers a try for a year, except Trey Lance has been sitting for what, a year, or two, now? I don't know if they think he's ready or not. Purdy was kept on a tight leash, and that did hurt San Fran. I don't know if they think he can develop enough to take them all the way next year, either. You'd think for a one-year run, Rodgers might be the guy they want. But then you're putting both kids on the back burner for a year and also risking that Rodgers might, might want to play for two years - then what? I just don't think that's going to happen, and I don't think Green Bay wants to help SF load up, if that's what they do think it would be. I suppose with that San Fran offense Rodgers could be good - lots of toys there for him. But I still wonder if maybe he nixed SF not because GB wouldn't trade him there, but because either SF isn't interested or Rodgers doesn't like Shanahan.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2023, 04:09 PM
This basically all but confirms he gone. It's an interview with Murphy.

https://twitter.com/TorresAdrianaTV/status/1634311582615318530

sharpe1027
03-10-2023, 04:10 PM
A Google search suggested the Jets could use help at tackle.

sharpe1027
03-10-2023, 04:15 PM
This basically all but confirms he gone. It's an interview with Murphy.

https://twitter.com/TorresAdrianaTV/status/1634311582615318530

Yeah. He's gone.

Fritz
03-10-2023, 04:21 PM
A Google search suggested the Jets could use help at tackle.

I'm going to start a Google search for images of crows and knives and forks, in preparation for Tex.

Rastak
03-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Yeah. He's gone.

Don't tell Tex.

Q: Is there a scenario where Aaron is still the starting QB of the Packers next season?

MURPHY: Yeah, I mean unless, if things don't work out the way we want them, yeah, we would. He is obviously a great player."

red
03-10-2023, 04:46 PM
Yeah. He's gone.

yeah, thats the most definitive answer we're gotten so far

murph said everyone would like to get it done by the 15th

stay tuned!!!!

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2023, 05:00 PM
I've never been a big fan of Bakhtiari, obviously, but their choosing to keep him it would seem makes the idea of keeping Rodgers more solid than ever.

Ya'all are taking what Murphy said as advancing your idiotic desire to get rid of Rodgers? That's not the way I heard it hahahaha.

sharpe1027
03-10-2023, 05:32 PM
I've never been a big fan of Bakhtiari, obviously, but their choosing to keep him it would seem makes the idea of keeping Rodgers more solid than ever.

Ya'all are taking what Murphy said as advancing your idiotic desire to get rid of Rodgers? That's not the way I heard it hahahaha.

The new contract could be a way to get the Jets a top OL with a low cap hit to compensate for Rodgers's cap hit.

King Friday
03-10-2023, 05:32 PM
Tex, you are not very bright. It was very clear in that interview that Rodgers is all but gone.

But go ahead and start the backtracking. This was what you wanted all along.

Sparkey
03-10-2023, 05:34 PM
https://theathletic.com/4296705/2023/03/10/packers-president-aaron-rodgers-jets-meeting?source=user-shared-article

Tex, Murphy spoke in past tense. Had and has mean different things in most of the world, like past and present.

Murphy talked about Rodgers like I talked about my uncle when he passed.

MadtownPacker
03-10-2023, 07:33 PM
This is a lot of emotional and bad takes all packed into the last 2 pages. I feel like I'm in FYI.
Yes and all those playing with the matches are close to getting burned…..

MadtownPacker
03-10-2023, 07:34 PM
Don't tell Tex.

Q: Is there a scenario where Aaron is still the starting QB of the Packers next season?

MURPHY: Yeah, I mean unless, if things don't work out the way we want them, yeah, we would. He is obviously a great player."Mofo what will the viquings be giving for him in two years??

RashanGary
03-10-2023, 08:38 PM

Told ya the contract promoted a trade :wink:

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2023, 10:51 PM

MURPHY: Yeah, I mean unless, if things don't work out the way we want them, yeah, we would. He is obviously a great player."

- Marcus Humphrey Murphy III, March 10th 2023.

He gone.

Rastak
03-10-2023, 11:05 PM
Mofo what will the viquings be giving for him in two years??

I hope nothing. Damn, I didn't want Favre either but the guy was a total stud. This time? I pass.

Fritz
03-11-2023, 07:53 AM
I wonder if this is all so eerily similar that two years from now we'll get a picture of whomever Rodgers's current girlfriend is wearing a Vikings jersey that says "ThanksGuter."

It is a weird coincidence, this Jets thing. And I liked JoeM's suggestion that since #12 is retired in the Jets organization thanks to Broadway Joe, that Rodgers goes back to the number he wore at Butte Community College: #4.

The funniest thing of all would be if, after all this smoke and mirrors and speculation and hope, Rodgers just announced his retirement.

To me, that's the second-worst thing that could happen. If he retires, you get no compensation. And if he retires, you also have another agonizing two or three months wondering if he's going to change his mind.

The worst thing would be, to me, if he announced he wanted to play one more year, or gosh, maybe two, but only for the Packers. Then what do they do with Love?

bobblehead
03-11-2023, 10:10 AM
I'll say this. If they DON'T trade him at this point Tex gets to gloat for at least a couple years.

red
03-11-2023, 10:14 AM
I wonder if this is all so eerily similar that two years from now we'll get a picture of whomever Rodgers's current girlfriend is wearing a Vikings jersey that says "ThanksGuter."

It is a weird coincidence, this Jets thing. And I liked JoeM's suggestion that since #12 is retired in the Jets organization thanks to Broadway Joe, that Rodgers goes back to the number he wore at Butte Community College: #4.

The funniest thing of all would be if, after all this smoke and mirrors and speculation and hope, Rodgers just announced his retirement.

To me, that's the second-worst thing that could happen. If he retires, you get no compensation. And if he retires, you also have another agonizing two or three months wondering if he's going to change his mind.

The worst thing would be, to me, if he announced he wanted to play one more year, or gosh, maybe two, but only for the Packers. Then what do they do with Love?

i don't want to see karens "little buddy"

RashanGary
03-11-2023, 11:04 AM
I'll say this. If they DON'T trade him at this point Tex gets to gloat for at least a couple years.

Yeah. Tex is holding strong on his view. If the packers keep Rodgers, Tex common sense looks strong.

But once I saw how bad the contract gets if we don’t trade him this year, I had a strong feeling they would trade him before it got that bad.

Bretsky
03-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Yeah. Tex is holding strong on his view. If the packers keep Rodgers, Tex common sense looks strong.

But once I saw how bad the contract gets if we don’t trade him this year, I had a strong feeling they would trade him before it got that bad.

What a horrible contract; and more classic that everybody seems to be waiting on Karen. You think he's trying to pull strings and get the Jets to trade for Bach too ?

Or is he enjoying kicking and squeezing Gute's ball to the point of tears just too much ???? lol

Fritz
03-11-2023, 12:43 PM
I wonder if he'll do his buddy Pat what's-his-name a favor and announce his decision on Tuesday on his show.

red
03-11-2023, 12:44 PM
word is starting to come out that everything has been worked out between the jets and packers as to the trade deal

all thats left is for the giant drama queen to make a decision

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1634544138531004421?s=20

Bretsky
03-11-2023, 01:23 PM
word is starting to come out that everything has been worked out between the jets and packers as to the trade deal

I read that in two spots as well. Surprised ? Karen is consistent at least.

Tex , when this is annouced I'd like to offer you a 4 day Darkness retreat in my basement to cleans your thoughts and visualize what life will be like after Karen so you can get all kumbayoo and set your sould and all the spirts free.

Only $25,000 for you buddy; when you book for your coupon code just type in Karen :)))

Fritz
03-11-2023, 02:29 PM

But there was talk Rodgers might have to re-do his deal to make it work with the Jets. That was, supposedly, possibly part of the hold up. I wonder if he's agreed to that part.

Again, it'd be funny if he at this point just up and said, "Yeah, I'm gonna retire."

red
03-11-2023, 02:41 PM
This is the most likely scenario IMO...and then we repeat this drama same time next year.

But there was talk Rodgers might have to re-do his deal to make it work with the Jets. That was, supposedly, possibly part of the hold up. I wonder if he's agreed to that part.

Again, it'd be funny if he at this point just up and said, "Yeah, I'm gonna retire."

I don’t see why he would have to fix his contract to make it work for the jets. He would only count 15 million or so against their cap next season

Fritz
03-11-2023, 03:04 PM
I don’t see why he would have to fix his contract to make it work for the jets. He would only count 15 million or so against their cap next season

This is from a site called Jetsxfactor:

To put it in the simplest terms, Rodgers would definitely have to agree upon alterations to his contract for a trade to be facilitated. As-is, Rodgers’ deal would create an untenable amount of dead money on the Packers’ cap sheet if he were traded without making changes to the contract. There needs to be a compromise found that works for all three parties: Rodgers, Green Bay, and the Jets.

New York obviously needs to take on some degree of Rodgers’ remaining money, but to what extent is something that can be negotiated between the Jets and the Packers, so this can certainly be something that is holding up the trade. Rodgers will also want to ensure the new contract terms are something he is on board for.

run pMc
03-11-2023, 03:08 PM
I would expect the framework for a deal was worked out when NYJ went out to California, they aren't going to go out there and have it leak if there hadn't been some discussions and agreement beforehand.
The latest reports make it sound like if Rodgers decides to come back this is a done deal. Stupid Mark Murphy's comments basically made it clear they'd take Rodgers back as a very last resort but it isn't what they want.

Legal tampering is Mar 13, and new league year starts 4pm Mar 15, I'm not sure they will trade him before then. I could see Rodgers making an appearance on McAfee and announcing his plans.

Trading AR brings a $40M cap hit for GB IIRC, that's for money they've already paid him that has been kicked forward. (bc you can always cook the cap) The Jets wont have that, but they will have to pay him the $58M bonus before Week 1. My guess is they'd like AR to play at least 2 years but he's noncommittal, which given he's been wishy washy about coming back - when asked at end of crushing season ending (playoff) losses- for a couple seasons in a row already. My understanding is if he plays 1 year he's a $60M QB, but maybe they can play around with his contract more easily because they don't have the cap issues from his previous contracts.

Jaire
03-11-2023, 03:12 PM
This is from a site called Jetsxfactor:

To put it in the simplest terms, Rodgers would definitely have to agree upon alterations to his contract for a trade to be facilitated. As-is, Rodgers’ deal would create an untenable amount of dead money on the Packers’ cap sheet if he were traded without making changes to the contract. There needs to be a compromise found that works for all three parties: Rodgers, Green Bay, and the Jets.

New York obviously needs to take on some degree of Rodgers’ remaining money, but to what extent is something that can be negotiated between the Jets and the Packers, so this can certainly be something that is holding up the trade. Rodgers will also want to ensure the new contract terms are something he is on board for.

That's factually incorrect. If Rodgers retires,it's a 40 mil cap hit; same if he's traded. June 1st vs pre June 1st just spreads the hit out. The money is already paid. It's just cap hit and only 9 million more than what already counts against the cap.

NOW, the Jets may want to lower the 60 million cash he makes if he joins the Jets -- same as what Rodgers gets if he's cut by GB (now or after June 1). That's why the deal was so bad. You can spread it out, but 60 million is 60 million. Rodgers imo holds ALL the cards. That's why you hear Murphy saying saying he wants AR to go to the Jets (or retire). There is nothing GB can do about it as far as I can tell.

run pMc
03-11-2023, 03:52 PM
NYJ needed to do this to some extent anyway, but... they've just reworked contracts with Laken Tomlinson, DJ Reed and Tyler Conklin to free up $15.2 M in cap space.
Coincidence?

Rastak
03-11-2023, 03:55 PM
I would expect the framework for a deal was worked out when NYJ went out to California, they aren't going to go out there and have it leak if there hadn't been some discussions and agreement beforehand.
The latest reports make it sound like if Rodgers decides to come back this is a done deal. Stupid Mark Murphy's comments basically made it clear they'd take Rodgers back as a very last resort but it isn't what they want.

Legal tampering is Mar 13, and new league year starts 4pm Mar 15, I'm not sure they will trade him before then. I could see Rodgers making an appearance on McAfee and announcing his plans.

Trading AR brings a $40M cap hit for GB IIRC, that's for money they've already paid him that has been kicked forward. (bc you can always cook the cap) The Jets wont have that, but they will have to pay him the $58M bonus before Week 1. My guess is they'd like AR to play at least 2 years but he's noncommittal, which given he's been wishy washy about coming back - when asked at end of crushing season ending (playoff) losses- for a couple seasons in a row already. My understanding is if he plays 1 year he's a $60M QB, but maybe they can play around with his contract more easily because they don't have the cap issues from his previous contracts.

That sums it up pretty nicely.

red
03-11-2023, 05:06 PM
wonder if the two sides (jets and rodgers) would agree to tear up the old deal and do a new 2 year deal with like 35-40 million fully guaranteed this year (like salary and or roster bonus) and another 40 million dollar roster bonus if he plays next season?

something like that

we would still take our normal cap hit, but they wouldn't have to pay 60 million on week one

don't even know if thats possible or not

maybe they can get creative and give him a 10 million dollar salary plus a 100 million unlikely to be earned bonus if he can prove by the end of the year that ancient aliens built the stadium that the jets play in and that its actually a 20,000 year old power reactor

RashanGary
03-11-2023, 09:16 PM
The 60 million isn’t that bad. If he retires he pays some back. If he plays it’s spread out.

red
03-11-2023, 09:20 PM
The 60 million isn’t that bad. If he retires he pays some back. If he plays it’s spread out.

i think thats still up for debate as to whether its legal or not to take back signing bonuses

i think it ends up going to the courts to decide that, and i'm not sure we've ever gotten a decision

RashanGary
03-11-2023, 09:22 PM
i think thats still up for debate as to whether its legal or not to take back signing bonuses

i think it ends up going to the courts to decide that, and i'm not sure we've ever gotten a decision

Pretty sure if a guy retires, the signing bonus gets paid back proportionally to how many years he played of it. That’s why the cap hit is less if he retires than is cut. And even if they keep the money legally, for cap purposes it doesn’t count.

red
03-11-2023, 09:23 PM
Pretty sure if a guy retires, the signing bonus gets paid back proportionally to how many years he played of it. That’s why the cap hit is less if he retires than is cut. And even if they keep the money legally, for cap purposes it doesn’t count.

oh, for cap purposes. ok

i thought you were talking about the real money

Jaire
03-12-2023, 12:10 AM

No. If AR retires or is traded, GB doesn't pay him any more nor do they get a dime back. It's done. But, if it's before June 1, all the money paid (and scheduled to hit against cap in years ahead) counts against this year instead. The difference is 40 million instead of 31 presently. After June 1, more money would count against 2024 cap.

If he stays this year or is cut, GB owes him 60 million. That's money he has not been paid at all. That's why the Jets are gonna at least ask GB to pay some of his salary.

The only significance of June 1 is that some money counts against next year's cap. It really doesn't matter since books are easily cooked.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2023, 01:05 AM
And some of ya'all actually think the Packers would be that ALL WORLD STUPID to basically pay the Jets to take Rodgers? Sheeeeesh. Does it not even occur to ya'all that the despicable shitheads of the media, mostly New York through and through, are conjuring up this idiocy that ya'all are swallowing?

RashanGary
03-12-2023, 08:22 AM
And some of ya'all actually think the Packers would be that ALL WORLD STUPID to basically pay the Jets to take Rodgers? Sheeeeesh. Does it not even occur to ya'all that the despicable shitheads of the media, mostly New York through and through, are conjuring up this idiocy that ya'all are swallowing?

Packers aren’t taking the salary. I agree. And I’d bet on it. But they do have to eat the 40 that’s already been paid and the Jets get a very reasonable deal (36 per year) the way it is right now. For whoever he’s traded to (most likely Jets), the contract is a bonus, not a hinderance. It’s less per year than Daniel Jones. Any money they give Rodgers (60M bonus in year 1) is spread over the rest of the contract. If he retires, some of it won’t count against the cap.

Fritz
03-12-2023, 08:27 AM
That's factually incorrect. If Rodgers retires,it's a 40 mil cap hit; same if he's traded. June 1st vs pre June 1st just spreads the hit out. The money is already paid. It's just cap hit and only 9 million more than what already counts against the cap.

NOW, the Jets may want to lower the 60 million cash he makes if he joins the Jets -- same as what Rodgers gets if he's cut by GB (now or after June 1). That's why the deal was so bad. You can spread it out, but 60 million is 60 million. Rodgers imo holds ALL the cards. That's why you hear Murphy saying saying he wants AR to go to the Jets (or retire). There is nothing GB can do about it as far as I can tell.

That’s factually incorrect, that bit I posted from that Jets site?

Well those goddamn shit-spewing media pukes.

Thank you for explaining how it actually works. I know little about how the cap actually works, so sometimes I need to be educated.

It sounds like no matter what, the Packers are going to be carrying loads of dead cap money for at least the next couple of years. Guter took all that cap space Ted carefully nurtured over the years, spent like a drunken sailor, and for his efforts got disappointing playoff losses after three good regular seasons.

run pMc
03-12-2023, 12:28 PM
Not fully clear on the 2024 comp, OTC says "If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. " so I think if he plays two years it's cheaper for the NYJ but I'm not clear on by how much. It looks like his cap number drops that year. I don't know if they can redo his contract, he's going to want that money and if he's year-to-year on play vs. retirement that makes it tough. Getting a 2 year commitment from him could be a big part of any deal.

I'm sure the Jets asked GB to pay part of the money when they talked trade compensation, but unless they throw in something like a higher/additional pick or take Savage off the books I don't see that happening.

Jaire
03-12-2023, 03:21 PM
That’s factually incorrect, that bit I posted from that Jets site?

Well those goddamn shit-spewing media pukes.

Thank you for explaining how it actually works. I know little about how the cap actually works, so sometimes I need to be educated.

It sounds like no matter what, the Packers are going to be carrying loads of dead cap money for at least the next couple of years. Guter took all that cap space Ted carefully nurtured over the years, spent like a drunken sailor, and for his efforts got disappointing playoff losses after three good regular seasons.

No. It's not bad at all if we trade this year. It'll be tight in 2023, but then I don't see any problems.

RashanGary
03-12-2023, 05:17 PM
Rodgers might restructure for the next team, but he won’t give up guarantees. I was confused by the contract when I first saw some of the details. But now I see it was written that way to give him guarantees and make this trade possible.

Fritz
03-13-2023, 08:37 AM
Myself, I'd prefer that they suck it up this year and eat as much dead cap money as they can and still field a team, then get to work next year with a stronger cap picture and probably some higher-end picks, and launch the Love Era with some resources at the team's disposal. Sure, this coming season will be tough. But it's going to be a learning curve for your QB anyway, so why not?

RashanGary
03-13-2023, 08:56 AM
Myself, I'd prefer that they suck it up this year and eat as much dead cap money as they can and still field a team, then get to work next year with a stronger cap picture and probably some higher-end picks, and launch the Love Era with some resources at the team's disposal. Sure, this coming season will be tough. But it's going to be a learning curve for your QB anyway, so why not?

I agree. Just keep the main pieces and hope to have a couple good drafts. Get the cap in better shape so if we end up in a situation where we’re close with love we have the option to kick the can down the road again and take a couple shots. We’re not winning the sb with love in his first year.

RashanGary
03-13-2023, 08:57 AM
I’d like to keep Bakh. Give Love a good line and make his development a little easier in year 1. A bad line would make it harder for him to get in a groove.

Fritz
03-13-2023, 10:06 AM
I’d like to keep Bakh. Give Love a good line and make his development a little easier in year 1. A bad line would make it harder for him to get in a groove.

As I have said before, I know little about how the cap actually works in any level of detail, so I don't know if a recent article I read about Bakh's restructure is true. It was I think an ACME article, or it linked through ACME. The gist of it was that Bakh's restructure seems to assure that he will have to remain with the Packers, that the restructure made it well-nigh impossible to trade him.

But I don't know enough about how the cap really works to know if that's true.

I'm fine with keeping him, just fine. That way they could draft his successor and give him a year to sit and learn, unless Bakh, gets . . . you know, not able to play.

jklowan
03-13-2023, 10:13 AM
If they traded Bak with the restructure it would now negatively effect the cap, meaning the hit is higher this year if they trade him.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2023, 10:42 AM
Another one of those contracts that's inexplicable if they intend to get rid of Rodgers hahahaha. I say again, they're keeping Bakhtiari because Rodgers wants them to keep Bakhtiari, and the Packers are keeping Rodgers.

Ya'all wonder why things happen from your flawed point of view - when it would make perfect sense if you didn't have that flawed point of view.

Sparkey
03-13-2023, 10:54 AM
Another one of those contracts that's inexplicable if they intend to get rid of Rodgers hahahaha. I say again, they're keeping Bakhtiari because Rodgers wants them to keep Bakhtiari, and the Packers are keeping Rodgers.

Ya'all wonder why things happen from your flawed point of view - when it would make perfect sense if you didn't have that flawed point of view.

Tex, again I ask: If Rodgers was never going to be traded then what was the purpose of giving the Jets permission to meet with Rodgers ?

Fritz
03-13-2023, 11:22 AM
If they traded Bak with the restructure it would now negatively effect the cap, meaning the hit is higher this year if they trade him.

Thanks JK.

Did anyone really think Rodgers would let everyone know before the legal tampering period began? Here's the ACME headline:

"The legal tampering period opens and Aaron Rodgers hasn’t made a decision"

He said he''d let everyone know by the beginning of free agency. I would take him at his word - we'll know by Wednesday morning, or whenever free agency officially begins.

Teamcheez1
03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Saw this tweet this morning:

At the end of the season, Aaron Rodgers said he's "not going to hold (the Packers) hostage" with regard to his future. That was two months ago. Free agency begins in 17 minutes, and the #Packers (and #Jets) are still waiting.

I think waiting until Wednesday is mincing words.
AR always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. The problem is this only applies to the idiots he plays football with.

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Rodgers right now.

https://twitter.com/BussinWTB/status/1635322235845214209

Fritz
03-13-2023, 12:42 PM

At the end of the season, Aaron Rodgers said he's "not going to hold (the Packers) hostage" with regard to his future. That was two months ago. Free agency begins in 17 minutes, and the #Packers (and #Jets) are still waiting.

AR always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. The problem is this only applies to the idiots he plays football with.

Wouldn't it be funny if Rodgers was actually walking around and around his living room, holding his weiner, pacing around and around, saying "Ohh, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do. What should I do? Oooh, geez"?

Joemailman
03-13-2023, 01:23 PM

He's not really holding the Packers hostage though. They don't have an urgent need to know. They know who their starting QB will be if it's not Rodgers. It's the Jets who need to know. If they're not going to get Rodgers, they need to go for someone else. They've already lost a shot at Carr while waiting for Rodgers to decide.

Tony Oday
03-13-2023, 01:28 PM
He's not really holding the Packers hostage though. They don't have an urgent need to know. They know who their starting QB will be if it's not Rodgers. It's the Jets who need to know. If they're not going to get Rodgers, they need to go for someone else. They've already lost a shot at Carr while waiting for Rodgers to decide.

And Jimmy G

red
03-13-2023, 01:51 PM
Jimmy g is signing with the raiders. There goes the jets backup plan

Now he is holding the jets hostage

And he is holding the packers hostage because we still don’t know what are cap will be and all the free agents are already making deals around the league

Neither team can do anything until he decides. And all he can say is “stay tuned”, what a complete fuckhead

sharpe1027
03-13-2023, 01:53 PM

If they wanted to include him in a trade to the Jets, they'd have to do something like this because the Jets don't have much cap room. The Packers would take the hit for the signing bonus and the Jets get a relatively cheap OT.

red
03-13-2023, 01:56 PM
If they wanted to include him in a trade to the Jets, they'd have to do something like this because the Jets don't have much cap room. The Packers would take the hit for the signing bonus and the Jets get a relatively cheap OT.

And a pro bowl LT should be worth AT LEAST a first all by himself

sharpe1027
03-13-2023, 01:58 PM
And a pro bowl LT should be worth AT LEAST a first all by himself

Yes. You'd expect some additional compensation for certain.

Fritz
03-13-2023, 02:04 PM
That would be wild, if Bakh went too.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-13-2023, 02:07 PM
Trey Wingo, on Twitter, said Butte to New York is a done deal.

red
03-13-2023, 02:40 PM
lol, jets fans are already starting to turn on him because they are sick of the diva act, and he hasn't even been traded yet

red
03-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Trey Wingo, on Twitter, said Butte to New York is a done deal.

other sources are saying otherwise

Jereamiah
03-13-2023, 03:12 PM
lol, jets fans are already starting to turn on him because they are sick of the diva act, and he hasn't even been traded yet

You should peak in at this stream:https://youtu.be/3QkBvXGNBa0 This dude has been live-streaming for two days about this. The Jets fans in the comments are HILARIOUS. Oh Man.

Jaire
03-13-2023, 03:34 PM
I have to confess. I am less interested in what happens to AR now than in Tex being proven wrong. It's going to be unbearable if AR returns.

RashanGary
03-13-2023, 03:38 PM

Good point. I hate seeing Love with a less capable line, but the clean up the cap situation would we well under way and if Love ends up being the guy, building around him gets a little easier with Bakh and 12 off the books. Plus the big cap increases the next two years.

Teamcheez1
03-13-2023, 04:37 PM
I have to confess. I am less interested in what happens to AR now than in Tex being proven wrong. It's going to be unbearable if AR returns.

We may need a crisis response team to start heading for Tex’s home. Somebody will need to talk him off the ledge.

RashanGary
03-13-2023, 05:13 PM
When Rodgers gets traded, I hope none of you pathetic losers goes on and on about how the Packers don’t have a chance. Show some support to your team, you pathetic idiots.

RashanGary
03-13-2023, 05:21 PM
I hope there’s a conditional pick tied to Rodgers performance. I want another reason to root for him in gang green. He’s a fellow conspiracy loon, and likes psychadelics. And he’s an uncompromising prick who don’t take no shit from women. What’s not to love??

red
03-13-2023, 07:23 PM
maybe his holy royalness is waiting for the jets to get deals done with all his buddies before he makes it all official?

or he just wants to be the one to announce it tomorrow on mccafees show

Fritz
03-13-2023, 08:09 PM

If Rodgers ends up in NY, the media is really going to mess up his cool-man mojo. I don’t know that he’s going to fare well with the NY media.

red
03-13-2023, 08:41 PM
If Rodgers ends up in NY, the media is really going to mess up his cool-man mojo. I don’t know that he’s going to fare well with the NY media.

Yeah, they won’t let him get away with shit

The team doesn’t control the shots in the media like the packers do in Green Bay

MadtownPacker
03-13-2023, 11:43 PM
Since when has shithead been hitting this??
Now that he goes to NY he has a hot one?

https://phantom--marca-unidadeditorial-es.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/phantom-marca.unidadeditorial.es/ad93e313101b27db2d466a672d59914b/resize/414/f/webp/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2023/01/06/16730314935928.jpg

MadtownPacker
03-13-2023, 11:47 PM
You hombres blancos need to R-E-L-A-X. I have this situation covered already.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/wood-silver-crucifix-virgin-mary-prayer-candle-to-left-mexican-blanket-as-backdrop-wood-silver-crucifix-141497589.jpg

red
03-14-2023, 08:34 AM
You hombres blancos need to R-E-L-A-X. I have this situation covered already.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/wood-silver-crucifix-virgin-mary-prayer-candle-to-left-mexican-blanket-as-backdrop-wood-silver-crucifix-141497589.jpg

is that the dashboard of the taxi you drive?

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2023, 11:01 AM

hahahaha I'm not into taunting. What I am into is having the Packers WIN which they will A LOT with Rodgers and very little without Rodgers. Ya'all need to be careful what you wish for.

Tony Oday
03-14-2023, 12:16 PM
I do NOT want Love to be the QB, I do not think he has a chance of winning in the NFL, I WANT to be wrong for sure. That all being said it looks like AR is going if the Jets sign Cobb and The Lizard King its over. Upshot we have a chance at the #1 pick next year.

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Granted, IF the Jets sign Lazard and/or Cobb, that would be a couple of nails in the coffin, but those reports could just as well be fake news too.

call_me_ishmael
03-14-2023, 01:42 PM
I do NOT want Love to be the QB, I do not think he has a chance of winning in the NFL, I WANT to be wrong for sure. That all being said it looks like AR is going if the Jets sign Cobb and The Lizard King its over. Upshot we have a chance at the #1 pick next year.

I mean he looked pretty good vs the Eagles. I, too, share my doubts but we'll see.

Tony Oday
03-14-2023, 02:04 PM
I mean he looked pretty good vs the Eagles. I, too, share my doubts but we'll see.

He looked like he couldn't throw off platform, could not "see" his second progression and was inaccurate, I don't see it by hell I am a mortgage broker not a GM. I saw it in AR I thought he looked great and was not scared at all when Favre left.

Fritz
03-14-2023, 02:49 PM
We'll know by Wednesday late afternoon, I would guess.

Joemailman
03-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Michael Silver
@MikeSilver

Packers fans are gonna be waiting for the next QB to magically pull out games that look lost... and, to the utter shock of some, that magic will not appear. But... cap space! twitter.com/ballark/status…

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

The Packers won 2 playoff games in the last 6 years combined. They have more losing seasons than playoff wins. Am I positive Jordan Love is going to be good? No. Do I think they can find a way to win 2 playoff games in the next 6 years? Probably.

run pMc
03-14-2023, 03:31 PM
He looked like he couldn't throw off platform, could not "see" his second progression and was inaccurate, I don't see it by hell I am a mortgage broker not a GM. I saw it in AR I thought he looked great and was not scared at all when Favre left.

I thought he looked meh in garbage time vs. MIN (game1), and better vs. PHI. The Watson TD was a nice throw in stride, but Watson did all the work there. The throw to Jones vs. Cover 2 was nice and people are gushing about it, but I just think of that as a throw a pro QB has to make. He doesn't seem to get too rattled and seems to have consistent demeanor. I think his teammates will rally around him. His arm is strong enough, and his mobility is ok. He's younger than some of the QBs coming out this year in the draft and has shown improvement each year. I think his accuracy is just ok, he will really need to be fundamentally sound. Seems like he plays more within the framework of the offense, definitely felt more robotic than Rodgers, but who isn't.

I don't know that he'll ever become elite or even top-10, but apparently the team has seen him make "wow" throws, just like Rodgers did/does. At a minimum he has more talent than Brock Purdy, and look at what he did in Shanahan's offense. Rodgers won 6 games his first season and got them into the playoffs the next. If MLF is any good at coaching I would think he should be able to coax that out of Love in that timeframe. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't think he's trash either. TBH I haven't seen enough of him, but I do think he's better than some of the QBs playing today.

For those thinking trading Rodgers will result in GB being lost in a wilderness akin to the 70's and 80's, I'd like to remind you that there wasn't nearly as much emphasis on parity back then, nor was there free agency. Players change teams commonly now, and teams go from doghouse to penthouse and back more often as well. I also think their drafting philosophy and FO personnel are better re: making roster decisions. (No offense to Judge Parins or Bob Harlan.)

Another thing to consider: right now the NFC is not a great conference. Your preseason favorites right now are who? Philly? SF? Detroit? The AFC has a lot more talent at QB and in general. 9 wins would have gotten GB into the playoffs last year. That's not an especially high bar over 17 games.

run pMc
03-14-2023, 03:35 PM
We'll know by Wednesday late afternoon, I would guess.

Yeah. He said he's announce by start of new league year and it starts tomorrow 4pm ET. I expect news will leak out tomorrow, so I'm not paying too much attention today.

run pMc
03-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Granted, IF the Jets sign Lazard and/or Cobb, that would be a couple of nails in the coffin, but those reports could just as well be fake news too.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-signing-ex-packers-wr-allen-lazard-to-four-year-44-million-deal

NFL site. Not fake news.

King Friday
03-14-2023, 04:01 PM
The goddamn media pukes just passed around the collection plate to pay Lazard $40m so they could get more clicks! Fuck them!

King Friday
03-14-2023, 04:03 PM
I will take the bet that the Packers win more playoff games in the next 6 years than they did the last 6 years.

With Love, the Packers will utilize Jones more, and become far more efficient in the red zone. The Packers will no longer run the play clock down to a second on every fucking snap. Yes, we will lose a couple throws a year that only a guy like Rodgers can make, but we will gain far more plays with Love’s legs that we lost as Rodgers aged.

If the defense can be a top 12 defense, this team can make the playoffs in 2023.

red
03-14-2023, 04:10 PM
that is absolutely fucking insane for allen lazard

i would have said 5 or 6 million a year was too much for what he is

Sparkey
03-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Way too rich for the Packers, but good for Lazard!

call_me_ishmael
03-14-2023, 04:54 PM
He's on McAfee live tomorrow - presuambly to feed Tex the crow.

call_me_ishmael
03-14-2023, 04:57 PM
I will take the bet that the Packers win more playoff games in the next 6 years than they did the last 6 years.

With Love, the Packers will utilize Jones more, and become far more efficient in the red zone. The Packers will no longer run the play clock down to a second on every fucking snap. Yes, we will lose a couple throws a year that only a guy like Rodgers can make, but we will gain far more plays with Love’s legs that we lost as Rodgers aged.

If the defense can be a top 12 defense, this team can make the playoffs in 2023.

I would take that bet. The Packers have won 62% of their games the past 6 years.

Sparkey
03-14-2023, 04:59 PM
I would take that bet. The Packers have won 62% of their games the past 6 years.

Playoff games, not regular season games.

Fosco33
03-14-2023, 05:06 PM
He's on McAfee live tomorrow - presuambly to feed Tex the crow.

As usual - AR says and does exactly what he means. All the haters can’t argue that he’s been super consistent.

I think he wanted to come back to GB and all the media pukes and fans made that impossible for Gute.

70% Jets, 20% Retire and 10% Packers.

Here’s hoping Love is another generational QB…

Fosco33
03-14-2023, 05:12 PM
Where’s MOBB?

Presume after tomorrow - we’ll need a singular Aaron Rodgers the Living Legend thread…

KYPack
03-14-2023, 05:17 PM
Where’s MOBB?

Presume after tomorrow - we’ll need a singular Aaron Rodgers the Living Legend thread…

I was thinking the same thing.

Don't think any posters will now say they are Jets fans now, like they did for Bert.

Well maybe our resident Lone Star

Fritz
03-14-2023, 05:21 PM
As usual - AR says and does exactly what he means. All the haters can’t argue that he’s been super consistent.

I think he wanted to come back to GB and all the media pukes and fans made that impossible for Gute.

70% Jets, 20% Retire and 10% Packers.

Here’s hoping Love is another generational QB…

Sorry, but I’m not buying that “media pukes and fans” pressured Gutes so much he couldn’t allow Rodgers back to Green Bay. I just think it’s nonsense.

If it were true, then Gutes should be fired immediately. Imagine any franchise whose player personnel decisions were driven by media and fans.

Sorry, Fos. You post some interesting and thought-provoking views, but that statement you made is Texian in its reach.

Rastak
03-14-2023, 05:26 PM
Sorry, but I’m not buying that “media pukes and fans” pressured Gutes so much he couldn’t allow Rodgers back to Green Bay. I just think it’s nonsense.

If it were true, then Gutes should be fired immediately. Imagine any franchise whose player personnel decisions were driven by media and fans.

Sorry, Fos. You post some interesting and thought-provoking views, but that statement you made is Texian in its reach.

I believe that was his intent. :razz:

run pMc
03-14-2023, 05:54 PM
If he is traded to the Jets I'll root for them. They're in the AFC and not likely to play GB soon.
Only reason I wouldn't root for them (or Rodgers) is if there's a non-conditional draft pick, and losing makes it better for GB.

FWIW, even if Rodgers does well playing for the Jets he'll have a tough road in the AFC with BUF, KC, CIN, and others nipping at his heels (MIA, LAC, DEN?)
I'd expect him to have a slightly better year statistically because of the receivers (Wilson, Davis, Moore, Lazard), but I wonder if he's going to survive 17 games behind that OL. Mike White almost got killed against BUF.

And no, Gute was rumored to have wanted to move from Rodgers before the end of last season. Maybe fan sentiment would sway Murphy, but not Gute.