PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2023 (Or Will He Play)?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 09:48 AM
Vegas now favoring Raiders. So who will Rodgers play for?

Poll to follow.

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 09:52 AM
I still like the Jets. Raiders having #7 pick means they might draft a QB instead.

Tony Oday
02-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Packers keep him and he runs it back with an MVP, Super Bowl and announces his retirement on the podium holding the Lombardi.

MadScientist
02-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Right now I think it's:
70% Packers
30% traded
0% Retire

I'd prefer a trade, but expect he will be back with the Packers.

sharpe1027
02-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Most likely scenario, he comes back plays better than last year and the team lays an egg in the playoffs again.

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2023, 12:11 PM
Obviously he plays for the Packers. Obviously he plays a helluva lot better than last season. Laying an egg in the playoffs or going all the way is not very relevant to me until the week of the games, but I'd say as always, it could happen even with little or no change to staff and personnel, just with a little bit of luck on the injury front, etc.

Joemailman
02-07-2023, 02:16 PM
I guess we'll all be in the dark about Rodgers' future for a while.

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

Aaron Rodgers says on
@PatMcAfeeShow
that he's going on an "darkness retreat" in a couple weeks. It's 4 days, complete darkness, just himself, in a little house.

"I've had a number of friends who've done it and they had profound experiences."

He expects a decision after that.

call_me_ishmael
02-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Totally normal and not at all weird thing. What a loon.

bobblehead
02-07-2023, 03:46 PM
So I feel like I have a bead on this one. He will play for probably the Raiders, but possibly the Jets. He values his connections to teammates and people so Adams kinda begging for him plays a pretty big role. However the Jets hiring Hackett shows they are very willing to make moves to make him happy and comfortable. I could see a scenario where the Jets put an offer in the table for Bak, and then sign Tonyan. Its impossible to say which way this goes, but I'm confident in saying he will play with one of those 2 franchises.

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2023, 04:57 PM
If LaFleur or Gutekunst or Murphy - anybody with inside knowledge on the Packers ever read the crap in this forum, they'd be laughing their asses off.

MadScientist
02-07-2023, 06:23 PM
I guess we'll all be in the dark about Rodgers' future for a while.

It'll be a very profound experience when he can't find the toilet or the fridge for four days.

George Cumby
02-07-2023, 08:55 PM
So I feel like I have a bead on this one. He will play for probably the Raiders, but possibly the Jets. He values his connections to teammates and people so Adams kinda begging for him plays a pretty big role. However the Jets hiring Hackett shows they are very willing to make moves to make him happy and comfortable. I could see a scenario where the Jets put an offer in the table for Bak, and then sign Tonyan. Its impossible to say which way this goes, but I'm confident in saying he will play with one of those 2 franchises.

I voted 'Jets' because the cosmic symmetry is just too perfect.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-08-2023, 01:03 AM
If LaFleur or Gutekunst or Murphy - anybody with inside knowledge on the Packers ever read the crap in this forum, they'd be laughing their asses off.

Sorry, Tex. To paraphrase the Mailman’s favorite psychedelic drug-induced redcoat, the QB is old, the dream is gone. Best we can hope for is, to paraphrase my favorite redcoat, the light that Butte leaves behind will everglow:

Like the Lions Butte ran
The Queens Butte rolled
Like the Bears Butte circled
In perfect yellow

They swore on the night
Butte’d be a Packer 'til he dies
But the changing of winds
And the way waters flow
Heydays are short as the falling of snow
And now we’re gonna miss Butte, we know

Anti-Polar Bear
02-08-2023, 01:33 AM
Totally normal and not at all weird thing. What a loon.

The darkness retreat is actually inspiring. I am inspired to give it a try. Unlike Butte, I can’t afford a luxurious black hole. But I’ll just lock myself inside a dark, windowless room. Hopefully doing so will inspire me to finally quit burger flipping.

Vive Butte!

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2023, 02:48 AM
Nice poetry, but a bogus narrative, at least your conclusion is bogus. The GOAT ain't going anywhere.

That darkness thing is weird, all right. I can't help thinking Rodgers is just feeding a line of bullshit to anybody - media pukes and other poor misguided fools and haters, which we sure seem to have a lot of in here hahahaha. Then again, he did go to Berkeley, so who knows.

I was catching up on SEAL Team episodes this evening, and they had something to say about ayahuasca - that it and other similar drugs are homeopathic treatments for traumatic brain injury, also that it can cause explosive diarrhea hahahaha.

Fritz
02-08-2023, 07:22 AM
Vegas now favoring Raiders. So who will Rodgers play for?

Poll to follow.

Himself.

Fosco33
02-08-2023, 07:40 AM
I’ve had friends do retreats where no one speaks. To each is own.

Most here probably couldn’t stand the boredom or face their thoughts for that long.

run pMc
02-08-2023, 08:31 AM
Four days of ayahuasca.

Bretsky
02-08-2023, 06:52 PM
Rodgers is not turning down all the money; he's coming back. He'll be back to GB and have a improved year, we'll make the playoffs, and then he'll shit on himself in the second half of another playoff loss....kinda like San Fran and Tampa

run pMc
02-08-2023, 07:52 PM
Rodgers is not turning down all the money; he's coming back. He'll be back to GB and have a improved year, we'll make the playoffs, and then he'll shit on himself in the second half of another playoff loss....kinda like San Fran and Tampa

This is the most likely scenario IMO...and then we repeat this drama same time next year.

Fritz
02-09-2023, 08:45 AM
This is the most likely scenario IMO...and then we repeat this drama same time next year.

So trade him before it all starts again.

Please.

Looking like, IF he is traded - and I don't think he will be - the Raiders are the most likely destination.

But I think he'll come back and play for GB next year. And what Bretsky outlined is probably the best-(realistic) case scenario.

Freak Out
02-09-2023, 11:41 AM
I voted 'Jets' because the cosmic symmetry is just too perfect.

Jets for a year then on to the Vikes. Has to happen.

bobblehead
02-10-2023, 10:46 AM

You realize you post on this forum. And probably would be the main source of said laughter right? You get that right?

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2023, 10:53 AM
https://twitter.com/thatTKEguy693/status/1623810290218569729

LOL!

texaspackerbacker
02-10-2023, 01:02 PM
Bobblehead, I'm completely confident that I'm aligned with the thinking of the Packer brass on this topic - unlike the various haters and dumbasses. They are the ones who did that glorious Rodgers contract - which many in here stupidly hate, and IMO, they did it with eyes wide open and are still glad they did - as am I, (OBVIOUSLY).

RashanGary
02-10-2023, 01:30 PM
Bobblehead, I'm completely confident that I'm aligned with the thinking of the Packer brass on this topic - unlike the various haters and dumbasses. They are the ones who did that glorious Rodgers contract - which many in here stupidly hate, and IMO, they did it with eyes wide open and are still glad they did - as am I, (OBVIOUSLY).

Rodgers contract promotes a trade.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2023, 01:45 PM
Rodgers contract promotes a trade.

I wouldn't say that. But I think the contract makes clear that if you're going to trade Rodgers, it is basically now or never.

RashanGary
02-10-2023, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't say that. But I think the contract makes clear that if you're going to trade Rodgers, it is basically now or never.

Yeah, that too.

jklowan
02-10-2023, 02:18 PM
I think it's the Jets or Colts

sharpe1027
02-10-2023, 02:44 PM

Isn't the fact that if they don't trade now, they will not have options in the future part of why the contract promotes a trade?

run pMc
02-10-2023, 03:01 PM
Isn't the fact that if they don't trade now, they will not have options in the future part of why the contract promotes a trade?

I think the cap hit now vs. later makes it that way, yes.

If I were Gute I'd listen to offers to trade Rodgers. It's likely the Jets or Raiders.
I'm skeptical Rodgers would go along with a trade to the Colts. Jordan Love to the Colts is an interesting idea, however.

King Friday
02-10-2023, 05:31 PM
I would think Rodgers is more likely to want to play in Vegas than in New York. He’s not a fan of the cold weather anymore. I believe the Packers are ready to move on after he showed little ability to be a true game changer in 2022.

Right now, I’m still thinking this is closer to a 50-50 deal. Part of Rodgers wants to retire as a Packer, but part of him also wants to get away at this point. To me, the darkness will ultimately tell him to go to the Black Hole.

bobblehead
02-10-2023, 08:11 PM
I will say this much. The contract promotes a trade OR a rework. I think Rodgers agreed to it this way because if he wants to stay he can still rework the deal to make it friendly all around.

I also think he is having doubts about being traded as would be natural for anyone who spent his entire career in one organization. Change is scary, but Rodgers is also a sharp guy and I think he realizes the organization needs to move on. The time he is taking right now is simply him coming to terms with that idea.

beveaux1
02-10-2023, 08:57 PM
I will say this much. The contract promotes a trade OR a rework. I think Rodgers agreed to it this way because if he wants to stay he can still rework the deal to make it friendly all around.

I also think he is having doubts about being traded as would be natural for anyone who spent his entire career in one organization. Change is scary, but Rodgers is also a sharp guy and I think he realizes the organization needs to move on. The time he is taking right now is simply him coming to terms with that idea.

Very plausible explanation. There are other explanations, but I hadn’t thought about this one.

bobblehead
02-11-2023, 09:17 AM
Very plausible explanation. There are other explanations, but I hadn’t thought about this one.

There are several other possibilities. Just reading his body language and his comments I think we are going to trade him and he will agree to it. The reason I said LV as the most likely is simply because its on his list from a couple years ago. I don't think he really wants to play in NY, but in the end I think he could wrap his head around it.

jklowan
02-11-2023, 11:42 AM
There are several other possibilities. Just reading his body language and his comments I think we are going to trade him and he will agree to it. The reason I said LV as the most likely is simply because its on his list from a couple years ago. I don't think he really wants to play in NY, but in the end I think he could wrap his head around it.

I have my doubts about Vegas as Rogers said he has concerns about the defense there and both The Jets and the Colts have good defenses and Rogers would be a big upgrade over what they have at QB. Titans could also work but I'm not sure of the interest on their part, but the defense would be decent and they are well coached. I also would not be surprised to see Bak go in a trade as well, maybe to sweeten the landing spot give AR a familiar face in the locker room and would give GB a nice amount of cap relief.

Bretsky
02-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Doesn't Vegas have the 7th pick and a strong willed HC/OC ?

If they are smart, they'll draft a QB in round one and pass on Karen

call_me_ishmael
02-11-2023, 08:13 PM
Doesn't Vegas have the 7th pick and a strong willed HC/OC ?

If they are smart, they'll draft a QB in round one and pass on Karen

Who though? Man I’m not feeling any of these dudes this year. I would hold off for a QB next year. Enough of these 5’10” bitches at QB

call_me_ishmael
02-11-2023, 10:40 PM
Would you trade the assets you get for Rodgers + Love for Lamar? I probably wouldn’t but boy that’s be interesting

jklowan
02-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Would you trade the assets you get for Rodgers + Love for Lamar? I probably wouldn’t but boy that’s be interesting

I read yesterday That Rogers has let the Packers know he prefers the Raiders, who knows though it could just be the media pukes :) As long as we get a 1st next year min I'm good where ever he ends up. I want to see Love play before making another move, besides Love cost a 1st and a 2nd, no way we get even close to that back.

run pMc
02-12-2023, 11:11 AM
I read yesterday That Rogers has let the Packers know he prefers the Raiders, who knows though it could just be the media pukes :) As long as we get a 1st next year min I'm good where ever he ends up. I want to see Love play before making another move, besides Love cost a 1st and a 2nd, no way we get even close to that back.

source?
I wouldn't believe anything until he emerges from his darkness lol

FWIW, Love cost a 1st and a 4th, and is likely why they took DeGuara in R3 instead of on Day 3.

jklowan
02-12-2023, 12:16 PM
can't remember the source, but I though it was his agent that let the brass know

Bretsky
02-12-2023, 02:25 PM
Himself.

I normally like taking a stand but I submitted the pssy vote and just said GB

But FRITZ, GETS THE AWARD FOR BEST ANSWER

run pMc
02-12-2023, 10:39 PM
can't remember the source, but I though it was his agent that let the brass know

Gotcha.
So I see APC posted an article that the Jets are officially interested, according to Fowler at ESPN.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/2/12/23596820/report-new-york-jets-inquired-aaron-rodgers-trade-green-bay-packers-trade-rumors

What else we know:
Folwer's report comes after Rappaport previously reported that multiple teams have already inquired.
Rappaport and Pelissero have also reported that the Packers are willing to trade Rodgers if he requests a change of scenery.
Gute has said at least twice that the team wanted Rodgers to be on the squad next season.
Rodgers has said he wouldn't want to come back to GB if they are rebuilding, although what "rebuilding" means is not clear. (It's Rodgers and his wordsmithing after all.) It is likely tied to keeping certain players and coaches around.
Rodgers has also said that players who would potentially influence his retirement decision would be Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan and David Bakhtiari.

Yes, there is a lot of "conjecture" at the moment, but where there's smoke there's fire.
The next few weeks will be interesting; Rodgers has said he will make a decision before Mar 15, I expect a lot more rumors and conjecture until something actually does happen.

FWIW, I don't think he's retiring. I just don't know if he's playing for GB. He probably doesn't either, not yet anyway.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-12-2023, 11:10 PM
Gotcha.
So I see APC posted an article that the Jets are officially interested, according to Fowler at ESPN.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/2/12/23596820/report-new-york-jets-inquired-aaron-rodgers-trade-green-bay-packers-trade-rumors

What else we know:
Folwer's report comes after Rappaport previously reported that multiple teams have already inquired.
Rappaport and Pelissero have also reported that the Packers are willing to trade Rodgers if he requests a change of scenery.
Gute has said at least twice that the team wanted Rodgers to be on the squad next season.
Rodgers has said he wouldn't want to come back to GB if they are rebuilding, although what "rebuilding" means is not clear. (It's Rodgers and his wordsmithing after all.) It is likely tied to keeping certain players and coaches around.
Rodgers has also said that players who would potentially influence his retirement decision would be Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan and David Bakhtiari.

Yes, there is a lot of "conjecture" at the moment, but where there's smoke there's fire.
The next few weeks will be interesting; Rodgers has said he will make a decision before Mar 15, I expect a lot more rumors and conjecture until something actually does happen.

FWIW, I don't think he's retiring. I just don't know if he's playing for GB. He probably doesn't either, not yet anyway.

“Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
— Brené Brown

call_me_ishmael
02-12-2023, 11:42 PM
I have a hunch we're gonna have a good idea what's happening next weekend when he emerges from his dark house lol. McAfee next Tuesday I imagine they'll chat about next steps.

bobblehead
02-13-2023, 12:50 AM
I have a hunch we're gonna have a good idea what's happening next weekend when he emerges from his dark house lol. McAfee next Tuesday I imagine they'll chat about next steps.

I don't think we will know yet. I think he will let the team know he is playing next year and the private trade talks will start. Then the rumors will leak and we will have a really good idea by the combine.

bobblehead
02-13-2023, 12:54 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/derek-carr-will-refuse-any-trade-offer-raiders-expected-to-release-longtime-qb-this-week-per-report/

this belongs somewhere. This seems good as anywhere.

King Friday
02-13-2023, 05:04 AM
We won’t know for sure any time soon. This will be dragged out eternally just like every other year recently.

Fritz
02-13-2023, 08:47 AM
Gotcha.

What else we know:

I've been wondering why all this talk of trading Rodgers - as in, who really wants that? Gutekunst has spoken twice publicly and both times said the big contract extension was meant for more than just one year with Green Bay. The Flower has also said he wants Rodgers back. And Rodgers has said he'd like to retire a Packer. So what's happening that now a trade is being bandied about?

Most likely, the bolded above - Rodgers wants to have some of his buddies back on the team - is what's changed. He phrased it as not wanting to be part of a rebuild, but he was specific about which guys he wants back. Don't know if he wants/needs them ALL back or at least a couple, or what, but now he's decided he wants to retire a Packer IF they re-sign at least some of "his" guys. And maybe part of it is that the team is now seeing they're further away from an SB than they thought a year ago?

Just like last year, it's gotten really weird.

I can't imagine Rodgers wanting or being willing to go to NY, and it sure sounds like the Packers absolutely will not trade Rodgers to an NFC team, so I would think, if they're going to trade him, they will try to use the Jets' interest to drive the price up and hope Rodgers doesn't say anything about not wanting to go to NY. Raiders still seem the most likely landing spot, if their GM wants to play ball.

At this point, I'd take one first round pick for Rodgers. Maybe even a second and a third (well, okay, a third round pick is useless for Green Bay).

Be funny if he announced his retirement after all this. But I don't think that'll happen.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-13-2023, 09:49 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/12/aaron-rodgers-will-enter-voluntary-solitary-confinement-on-monday/

Dude describes Rodgers to a tee..

Joemailman
02-13-2023, 10:05 AM
We won’t know for sure any time soon. This will be dragged out eternally just like every other year recently.

Last year he signed his extension March 14. Is that really eternity?

Fritz
02-13-2023, 11:57 AM
For fans starved for some offseason news, it seems that way sometimes. But I think if we get some clarity in the next month, that'd be fine.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2023, 12:23 PM
I'm fairly sure Rodgers knows he's staying and the Packer brass know he is staying. Rodgers is just stringing along the media shitheads and anybody dumb enough to swallow the media shit.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-13-2023, 01:04 PM
I'm fairly sure Rodgers knows he's staying and the Packer brass know he is staying. Rodgers is just stringing along the media shitheads and anybody dumb enough to swallow the media shit.

Then why all the drama? Rodgers just looks like a prima-donna.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-13-2023, 01:06 PM
I chose USFL cause I am tired of the soap opera.

sharpe1027
02-13-2023, 01:18 PM

If true, what an asshole.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2023, 02:58 PM
hahahahaha Why? I'd say the assholes are the media pukes doing their damnedest to stir up trouble. And a large part of that drama i.e. stirred up trouble involves Rodgers and his future. That all seemed to be settled last offseason with the new contract. However, Rodgers' bad injury-riddled season which contributed to the rotten Packer season in general has resulted in a new mostly media-generated shitstorm. If any of ya'all were Rodgers, what would be your opinion of that? And what would you do about it? His future was pretty well settled last offseason. Now, he's hearing and reading the same shit that we are. Who among ya'all wouldn't be at least a little bit pissed off about that? And given that, what would you say and do? Come out with blatant denials and harsh criticism of the perpetrators of that media bullshit? Or just subtly playing along and putting on those dumbshits? Rodgers, being sort of a mellow hippy-esque California type, hasn't chosen the blatant confrontation. Rather, he has chosen the reaction he has chosen. I woulda been more confrontational, myself, basically been more of an asshole - but that's just me hahahaha. So I would suggest that Rodgers has been anything but an asshole in reaction to the assholic bullshit aimed at him.

run pMc
02-13-2023, 03:29 PM
hahahahaha Why? I'd say the assholes are the media pukes doing their damnedest to stir up trouble. And a large part of that drama i.e. stirred up trouble involves Rodgers and his future..

This is literally what sports media does, they get paid by getting your attention, your clicks, etc.
The NFL encourages it, and Rodgers himself encourages it by playing coy.

You're basically calling the media assholes and pukes for doing their jobs. It doesn't mean they are wrong.
Clearly they are supplying a need if they continue to get clicks.
I can think of very few jobs where people get called a puke and asshole for doing it, and sports media personality or journalist aren't at the top of that list.
I suppose it depends on the type. Skip Bayless is an asshole. I don't think Tom Silverstein is though.

Rodgers may seem to be a mellow-Californian, but he's a Northern Californian. There's a difference. And I think it's an act -- he plays a LOT of games with the media and is extremely manipulative. If he wanted to put a stop to any of this he'd make more definitive statements. He likes the attention, he likes stringing things along, and he especially likes to zig when everyone is kept in the dark and expects him to zag, only to call them out as doubters and know-nothings later. I don't feel sorry for him, I think he brings it on himself, and I also think he's ok with that.

A FHOF QB who might be traded or retire is going to get a lot of stories run. Nothing to do until an announcement is made.

RashanGary
02-13-2023, 03:42 PM
“Journalists doing their job” is a total cop out. Find a job where you’re not paid to criticize people or dig up their personal lives. They choose that low life profession.

call_me_ishmael
02-13-2023, 03:57 PM
The reason Rodgers is in the news is because he chooses to be and goes on Youtube every week and makes himself the headline of the day - arguably the week. Don't kid yourself. Nobody is talking about ARod last week if he doesn't go on McAfee and talk about the dark room.

King Friday
02-13-2023, 04:54 PM
Last year he signed his extension March 14. Is that really eternity?

It was enough of one for Adams.

ThunderDan
02-13-2023, 07:38 PM
“Journalists doing their job” is a total cop out. Find a job where you’re not paid to criticize people or dig up their personal lives. They choose that low life profession.

Then please stop looking at, tweeting, listening or surfing for sports news. The whole reason that journalist or any job exists is because you demand their services.

sharpe1027
02-13-2023, 07:45 PM
hahahahaha Why?

He's enabling the media pukes you claim to hate. Creating drama that they thrive off and make money from. Creating media storylines that people latch into making it impossible to not hear about.

The alternative is just to let the fans know he's only interested in being a Packer. Instead, he's effectively lying by omission, pretending he might leave.

Asshole.

NewsBruin
02-13-2023, 11:44 PM
I've been wondering why all this talk of trading Rodgers - as in, who really wants that? Gutekunst has spoken twice publicly and both times said the big contract extension was meant for more than just one year with Green Bay. The Flower has also said he wants Rodgers back. And Rodgers has said he'd like to retire a Packer. So what's happening that now a trade is being bandied about?

I think the Packers front office has to keep up Rodgers' appearance as a tradable asset. That means they can't alienate him and cause him to pout or rage-quit. They have to make Rodgers' return to the Packers look plausible so they're not weighing whose seventh-rounder to take in exchange.

As for Rodgers, he doesn't want to look like the bad guy. So I'd expect him to reply, "If it were up to me, I wouldn't want to rock the boat. I just wish I could stay here and have all my best friends and nobody ever doubting me."

run pMc
02-14-2023, 06:57 AM
Then please stop looking at, tweeting, listening or surfing for sports news. The whole reason that journalist or any job exists is because you demand their services.

Yup. Without journalists and sports media, you would be hearing and learning NOTHING about what was going on.
People want to complain about journalists, but maybe the people they are reporting about need to stop being idiots.

Fritz
02-14-2023, 07:43 AM
I think the Packers front office has to keep up Rodgers' appearance as a tradable asset. That means they can't alienate him and cause him to pout or rage-quit. They have to make Rodgers' return to the Packers look plausible so they're not weighing whose seventh-rounder to take in exchange.

As for Rodgers, he doesn't want to look like the bad guy. So I'd expect him to reply, "If it were up to me, I wouldn't want to rock the boat. I just wish I could stay here and have all my best friends and nobody ever doubting me."

I think that's all true, but I don't think it quite answers my original question: so does anybody really want a trade? If so, who is it and for what reason or reasons? Is it Rodgers? The Packers? Both? Neither?

jklowan
02-14-2023, 08:10 AM
I think the Packers front office wants him gone for financial reasons only, they fear fans backlash and all of this is just testing out reactions. I have yet to see many fans saying he should stay outside of Tex, so I think it ultimately happens. I just pray we get a 1st back and it is not tied to Rodgers playing out the contract.

Joemailman
02-14-2023, 09:40 AM
I think that's all true, but I don't think it quite answers my original question: so does anybody really want a trade? If so, who is it and for what reason or reasons? Is it Rodgers? The Packers? Both? Neither?

I think the Packers would like a trade, but don't want it to look like they ran Rodgers out of town. They want it to look like it was his idea. Who knows what Rodgers wants? My guess is he is leaning in a certain direction, but is still open to a change of mind. And so we wait a little bit as he emerges from the darkness into a great light. I think Isaiah wrote something like that.

bobblehead
02-14-2023, 09:52 AM
I think the Packers front office wants him gone for financial reasons only, they fear fans backlash and all of this is just testing out reactions. I have yet to see many fans saying he should stay outside of Tex, so I think it ultimately happens. I just pray we get a 1st back and it is not tied to Rodgers playing out the contract.

I think you way over estimate what the front office thinks of our reaction as fans. I think they know what they want to do, but are playing poker with 31 other GMs and ARod. You and I factor into that consideration about as much as most of us matter to anyone outside our immediate circles.

bobblehead
02-14-2023, 09:56 AM
He's enabling the media pukes you claim to hate. Creating drama that they thrive off and make money from. Creating media storylines that people latch into making it impossible to not hear about.

The alternative is just to let the fans know he's only interested in being a Packer. Instead, he's effectively lying by omission, pretending he might leave.

Asshole.

I think he is just a guy living his life. All the people who are saying "asshole" are doing so because they simply want answers RIGHT NOW and he needs a minute to rap his head around what happens next. I haven't worked in a long time, but recently was made an offer that is tough to refuse. When I said "give me a week" I wasn't being dramatic or being an asshole, I seriously need some time to decide what is in my best interest. Could it be that simple for ARod?

NewsBruin
02-14-2023, 10:10 AM

I think this is the front office changing course after going all-in to Rodgers' requests (as opposed to going all-in to win a Super Bowl) and seeing what it got them. Shorten his contract, hire some veteran favorites, never publicly disparage him or reply to his passive-aggressive shots, throw in extra millions to massage his feelings going back to not getting a power D-1 offer out of high school. And they saw what that ceiling was.

It's an enviable ceiling, but the PR hits, the physical wear to Rodgers, and his reversion to bad habits maybe makes them rethink whether it's worth the salary-cap hit and the burning of Jordan Love's R1 pick. Maybe they think the organization's reputation won't take as much of hit if they trade Rodgers and start Love, compared to that scenario last year.

RashanGary
02-14-2023, 10:39 AM
I think he is just a guy living his life. All the people who are saying "asshole" are doing so because they simply want answers RIGHT NOW and he needs a minute to rap his head around what happens next. I haven't worked in a long time, but recently was made an offer that is tough to refuse. When I said "give me a week" I wasn't being dramatic or being an asshole, I seriously need some time to decide what is in my best interest. Could it be that simple for ARod?

Yes. People have selfish and immature traits. They go through life telling themselves they’re virtuous and grown and selfless. But when it comes to judging another person, they instantly revert to projecting those selfish traits they have themselves onto other people.

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2023, 11:21 AM

EXACTLY!

run pMc
02-14-2023, 11:23 AM
I think he's more of a weirdo than an asshole, but none of that has to do with not making a decision on retirement/next season. They can't trade him until Mar 15 and he'll decide if he's retiring before then.
I'll read up on some of the college kids for combine etc. in the meantime.

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2023, 11:32 AM
This is literally what sports media does, they get paid by getting your attention, your clicks, etc.
The NFL encourages it, and Rodgers himself encourages it by playing coy.

You're basically calling the media assholes and pukes for doing their jobs. It doesn't mean they are wrong.
Clearly they are supplying a need if they continue to get clicks.
I can think of very few jobs where people get called a puke and asshole for doing it, and sports media personality or journalist aren't at the top of that list.
I suppose it depends on the type. Skip Bayless is an asshole. I don't think Tom Silverstein is though.

Rodgers may seem to be a mellow-Californian, but he's a Northern Californian. There's a difference. And I think it's an act -- he plays a LOT of games with the media and is extremely manipulative. If he wanted to put a stop to any of this he'd make more definitive statements. He likes the attention, he likes stringing things along, and he especially likes to zig when everyone is kept in the dark and expects him to zag, only to call them out as doubters and know-nothings later. I don't feel sorry for him, I think he brings it on himself, and I also think he's ok with that.

A FHOF QB who might be traded or retire is going to get a lot of stories run. Nothing to do until an announcement is made.

Some acorns of truth in there.

Are you from California? I'm not. My impression, though, was that most of the mellowness was from up there in the San Fran/Silicon Valley area. As for Rodgers playing games and manipuiating them, yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying too. Did I say he wanted the bastards to quit their shit? I don't think so. Are there actually some good media pukes? I suppose if you dig deep enough you can find some. Clicks and attention? Not mine ...... well, seldom anyway. How would we survive without them? Well, maybe a little more stress-free, although admittedly, stress doesn't much bother me. Any news that really needs to be put out, though, generally comes right from the horses' mouths rather than the asses' asses. In other words, we can do without the stupid speculation.

I say again, RG got it right about the profession of media puke.

sharpe1027
02-14-2023, 11:46 AM
You missed the genesis of this. Tex said Rodgers knows he wants to come back and is just playing with us all.

I said "if true" he's being an asshole.

run pMc
02-14-2023, 11:49 AM
Any news that really needs to be put out, though, generally comes right from the horses' mouths rather than the asses' asses. In other words, we can do without the stupid speculation.

Then you must know very little about Rodgers, since he tweets about once per month. Everything else that comes from him is via sports media or journalism.
Yes, McAfee is sports media.

If you don't use media, you would not know about the MSU shooting today, or the war in Ukraine, or many many many other things happening in your city, state, country and world. That would make you very much insulated from and ignorant of almost everything around you. Please don't hate on journalism and media -- a free press is valuable for many reasons. I strongly suggest you reconsider your attitude and look at specific media individuals vs. an overgeneralization of media. (Hence my comparison of Bayless and Silverstein)

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2023, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure if McAfee qualifies as "sports media". Regardless, though, it's not what comes from his mouth, it's what Rodgers himself says on the show that counts.

Sparkey
02-14-2023, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure if McAfee qualifies as "sports media". Regardless, though, it's not what comes from his mouth, it's what Rodgers himself says on the show that counts.

He is more like Rodger's fluffer.

NewsBruin
02-14-2023, 01:48 PM
He is more like Rodger's fluffer.

McAfee seems like a fun guy, and good for him for using his natural personality and league connections to be set for life. Anyone who's got a "Bring it on" mentality when Brett Favre throws a frivolous defamation lawsuit his way has my admiration.

But he isn't is Critical of His Buddies. So if A-Rod has a breakup, Pat's there to tell him "Damn, bro, it's her loss!", not "Maybe you shouldn't have left her waiting at the airport because your buddies in Shipping invited you to Hooters."

run pMc
02-14-2023, 01:59 PM
Patrick Justin McAfee is an American sports analyst, professional wrestling color commentator, professional wrestler and former football punter and kickoff specialist. McAfee is an analyst on ESPN's College GameDay, a television program covering college football.

That is literally the first thing that comes up on a search, sourced from Wikipedia of all things. If he disagreed with its content, he could certainly have it updated. I would expect his podcast show to be mostly about sports as opposed to, say, constitutional law.

McAfee is a lot of things, but I think he loosely falls under the category of sports media.
He is not a journalist.

EDIT: looks like ARod's waited until after the SB to go into the darkness. Voila:
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/2/14/23599755/aaron-rodgers-meets-with-pat-mcafee-one-last-time-before-darkness-retreat

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2023, 03:19 PM
I never liked and hardly ever watched McAfee until he started having Rodgers on. I still think he is mostly a loud mouth - no surprise (although I didn't know) that he had that wrestling connection. But having Rodgers on weekly gives us a chance to hear from him unfiltered by the God damned media. Of course I wouldn't rule out Rodgers putting on/bullshitting regular people too. If he does, more power to him - so much shit is spewed about him by know-nothings media and otherwise.

bobblehead
02-14-2023, 06:03 PM
You missed the genesis of this. Tex said Rodgers knows he wants to come back and is just playing with us all.

I said "if true" he's being an asshole.

Right....but it isn't all about you. There are a lot of people here hating on the guy (mind you I am in the trade him camp). I may have pulled the word asshole from you primarily (truthfully I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular when I wrote that), but I wasn't trying to call you out personally. I just think all the people who are screaming "asshole" and/or "drama queen" are being silly.

When ARod held the chip on his shoulder until the morning of the draft to zing Gutes he was being an asshole. But now, this? I just think he is a guy who has less interest in football each year which means he needs a breather after a long season before he makes a committment to the next....oh, and Tex is all over the map. Responding to any of his Rodgers worship is an exercise in futility.

Gutes needs to do what is in the best interest of the GB Packers. A couple years ago that meant getting Rodgers into camp. Right now, imo, that means moving on. That doesn't mean Rodgers "has gutes balls in his handbag" nor does it mean "rodgers is just being a giant drama queen/asshole". It means the 2 guys each have a different agenda.

sharpe1027
02-14-2023, 08:10 PM
You quoted me. I mean it's pretty weak to infer I think it's all about me from that. I was just clarifying the context so people didn't think I was calling Rodgers an asshole just because he isn't sure what he wants to do next year.

Bretsky
02-14-2023, 10:12 PM
McAfee is garbage but that F'ckin G Dam Media Whore Karen Rodgers keeps using him to spread bullshit everywhere

run pMc
02-15-2023, 08:08 AM
McAfee is garbage but that F'ckin G Dam Media Whore Karen Rodgers keeps using him to spread bullshit everywhere

LOL
you forgot to include 'puke' and 'asshole'.

bobblehead
02-15-2023, 09:37 AM
You quoted me. I mean it's pretty weak to infer I think it's all about me from that. I was just clarifying the context so people didn't think I was calling Rodgers an asshole just because he isn't sure what he wants to do next year.

Yes, but THIS is what I quoted

Asshole.

I did NOT quote the post where you said "if true, what an asshole".

bobblehead
02-15-2023, 10:10 AM
I forgot the reason I popped in this morning. Derek Carr.

Several here (not singling ANYONE out) think Gutes desperately wants Rodgers back because...well, he has said he wants Rodgers back. I have pointed out that he can't say anything else, and David Carr is the reason.

The Raiders made it clear they were moving on. Carr refused to wave his no trade clause. Basically said he won't hurt his next team by costing them assets. If Gutes laid it on the line and said he wants to move on from Rodgers, ARod could simply sit tight and wait to be cut. We couldn't trade him under threat of retirement and we can't keep him on the roster as a backup. The only move for Gutes is to publicly say he wants ARod back, but understands that letting all his friends walk might make Rodgers want to play elsewhere and we will oblige if we must.

edit: Of course I am assuming we would like to get SOME compensation for him. I guess Gutes could have said "we are moving on and going to cut him June 2nd."

Joemailman
02-15-2023, 10:18 AM
I'm hoping the Jets don't sign Carr because I think it's possible Rodgers would refuse a trade to LV because he doesn't think much of Josh McDaniels. If those 2 things were to happen, I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for Rodgers.

Fritz
02-15-2023, 10:19 AM
Well, that may answer my question as to who really wants Rodgers traded if he decides he wants to play. I wonder what changed in Guter's assessment from last year to this, from giving Rodgers a mondo contract extension to wanting to trade him.

This past year seein Rodgers decline? Jordan Love emerging? Both? Neither?

Joemailman
02-15-2023, 10:35 AM
Well, that may answer my question as to who really wants Rodgers traded if he decides he wants to play. I wonder what changed in Guter's assessment from last year to this, from giving Rodgers a mondo contract extension to wanting to trade him.

Well we don't know if Gute has changed his mind. He has not said he is looking to trade him.

bobblehead
02-15-2023, 11:17 AM

Just like most things in life, a combination of factors. Rodgers wasn't great. Love looks ready (and contract wise its now or never). Team needs a cap reset. All of those factor in. Gutes thought he could make one or 2 more runs at it when he gave Rodgers that deal. He may be ready to admit its time.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2023, 11:48 AM
I say again, Rodgers isn't gonna be traded, and he isn't gonna retire. If they did want to trade him - which they obviously don't, he wouldn't have much say about where he would go, except maybe to threaten retirement - which clearly would be throwing away so much money that it would be significant even to somebody as rich as he is. All of this trade talk is just ludicrous.

The team does NOT need a cap reset. A lot of things can be done to handle the cap, as has been discussed over and over, and besides, it's going up hugely this year and likely the same huge increase next year. I don't know (and don't much care except for trade purposes) if Love is any good and "ready" or not, but if he is deemed to be good, the Packers easily could (money-wise) keep him beyond his rookie contract - unless Love just doesn't want to sit behind Rodgers for another (or several more) year(s).

NORMALCY will prevail; Rodgers will be the Packers' QB; And we will have a great season(s) coming up - mark my words. And also mark the words of all the dumbasses who think otherwise.

RashanGary
02-15-2023, 03:37 PM
Rodgers will be traded, Tex. The contract promotes it.

ThunderDan
02-15-2023, 04:11 PM
I say again, Rodgers isn't gonna be traded, and he isn't gonna retire. If they did want to trade him - which they obviously don't, he wouldn't have much say about where he would go, except maybe to threaten retirement - which clearly would be throwing away so much money that it would be significant even to somebody as rich as he is. All of this trade talk is just ludicrous.

The team does NOT need a cap reset. A lot of things can be done to handle the cap, as has been discussed over and over, and besides, it's going up hugely this year and likely the same huge increase next year. I don't know (and don't much care except for trade purposes) if Love is any good and "ready" or not, but if he is deemed to be good, the Packers easily could (money-wise) keep him beyond his rookie contract - unless Love just doesn't want to sit behind Rodgers for another (or several more) year(s).

NORMALCY will prevail; Rodgers will be the Packers' QB; And we will have a great season(s) coming up - mark my words. And also mark the words of all the dumbasses who think otherwise.

Remember last year, when you predicted the Packers would go 15-2 and that Watson would outperform Devante?

I hope you are right but signs point to another year of mediocrity.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2023, 09:51 PM
When you're right, you're right, RG, but in this case you're not.

I need to make a note and remember, when I make predictions I need to leave a contingency for injuries and other freak events i.e. bad luck.

MadScientist
02-16-2023, 12:57 AM

I need to make a note and remember, when I make predictions I need to leave a contingency for injuries and other freak events i.e. bad luck.

Rodgers contract guarantees $60M for this year and another $40M for next if he is kept. The Packers should try to get out of that unless they are confident they can get to the Super Bowl next year with Rodgers.

That said, I suspect you are right that Rodgers will be a Packer this season.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-16-2023, 07:04 AM

OR just cause you are wrong?

texaspackerbacker
02-16-2023, 10:33 AM
Rodgers contract guarantees $60M for this year and another $40M for next if he is kept. The Packers should try to get out of that unless they are confident they can get to the Super Bowl next year with Rodgers.

That said, I suspect you are right that Rodgers will be a Packer this season.

Which would be inherited by any team trading for him - one reason no trade is gonna happen. The other even stronger reason would be the huge dead money against the cap that the Packers would have if they traded him. Combine that with the huge disincentive for Rodgers to retire, and absolutely, he will be a Packer next season, probably the following season, and maybe (make that HOPEFULLY) for more after that.

Bobblehead, I was reading your post above where you said I was "all over the map". Where does that come from? I've been totally consistent, I think, all along saying Rodgers shouldn't be/won't be traded.

RashanGary
02-16-2023, 11:37 AM
Rodgers gets 60M guaranteed if the Packers get him. Not gonna happen. Trade!!!!

Joemailman
02-16-2023, 01:54 PM
Rodgers soon to enter his darkness retreat. Rumor is that if he sees his shadow when he emerges, there will be 6 more weeks of speculation about his playing future.

ThunderDan
02-16-2023, 02:16 PM
My favorite was something like:

Rogers and Gollum, sitting in the dark with their one ring.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-16-2023, 02:48 PM
My favorite was something like:

Rogers and Gollum, sitting in the dark with their one ring.

One ring to bullshit them all..

Bretsky
02-16-2023, 07:09 PM
Rumor is Jets are really interested in Carr from da Raiders.

Does anybody really want Aaron now that she's turning in his annual KAREN act again ? Maybe he's more bullshit that people wanna put up with. It's not his talent; that's why about seventy five percent of the GB fans in all of these polls are ready to move on.

Sick of the Karen act

Fosco33
02-16-2023, 07:24 PM
He’s under contract and has acted consistent with his statements unlike Favre. Why the shade, B? He’s also made decisions before drafts and hasn’t said anything controversial. I seriously don’t get it. I like 12 now more than ever.

sharpe1027
02-16-2023, 08:55 PM
Yes, but THIS is what I quoted

I did NOT quote the post where you said "if true, what an asshole".

Thus the need for my clarification.

jklowan
02-17-2023, 08:56 AM
Aron Jones restructured contract makes me nervous they are trying to clear money to keep him :(

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Aron Jones restructured contract makes me nervous they are trying to clear money to keep him :(

Doesn't have anything to do with Rodgers. They want to keep Jones no matter who the QB is. In fact having a good running game to rely on becomes even more important with an inexperienced guy at QB.

MadScientist
02-17-2023, 10:24 AM

If there are no viable trades, the Packers need to have the cap space to pay Rodgers the guaranteed $60M, and they have to reach it by March 15th.

bobblehead
02-17-2023, 10:34 AM
If there are no viable trades, the Packers need to have the cap space to pay Rodgers the guaranteed $60M, and they have to reach it by March 15th.

Regardless, if they do trade him it will be after June 1st (I think) and they have to be cap compliant by March 15th. No 2 ways about it. This move was necessary as at least one more will be.

ThunderDan
02-17-2023, 10:36 AM

We were $20,000,000 over the cap no matter what we did. I think this saves us around $10,000,000. We still have to move $10,000,000 in cap hit by 3/15.

jklowan
02-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Over the cap shows at at just under 5 million over after the Jones restructure

jklowan
02-17-2023, 12:08 PM
My guess is Kenny Clark, Alexander or Preston Smith redo next

SudsMcBucky
02-17-2023, 12:48 PM
AR acknowledged that he understands he'll have to restructure his contract for whoever he plays for, too. So, if ol' Punxatawny Aaron emegers from his hole telling the Packers there's at least 1 more year in GB, they could re-do his deal ASAP, as well.

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2023, 01:26 PM
AR acknowledged that he understands he'll have to restructure his contract for whoever he plays for, too. So, if ol' Punxatawny Aaron emegers from his hole telling the Packers there's at least 1 more year in GB, they could re-do his deal ASAP, as well.

I don't really see what they're going to do, though. The way the contract is structured is he has minimal cap hit from *his current contract* anyway. The 40M of cap hit is from old refactorings is my understanding. His cap hit isn't that big this year, but his take home pay is. OFC, I could be wrong because this stuff is super complicated.

SudsMcBucky
02-17-2023, 01:31 PM
I don't really see what they're going to do, though. The way the contract is structured is he has minimal cap hit from *his current contract* anyway. The 40M of cap hit is from old refactorings is my understanding. His cap hit isn't that big this year, but his take home pay is. OFC, I could be wrong because this stuff is super complicated.

I'm not sure, either, but maybe has to do with the way his huge roster bonus hits???

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2023, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have a Ty Dunne subscription? Post the article in trash can!

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/1626667499562360847

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Does anyone have a Ty Dunne subscription? Post the article in trash can!

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/1626667499562360847

It.s a podcast, not an article. So don't think anyone can help you unless they want to give out their password.

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 03:51 PM
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/packers-reportedly-moving-on-from-aaron-rodgers/

It appears the reality is far different behind the scenes in Green Bay. Things have reached a breaking point inside the organization. According to Bob McGinn of Go Long, the Packers aren’t even contemplating the idea of starting Rodgers for another year. They are tired of the distractions and the unfulfilled promises.

Plans are to move on whether the quarterback chooses to return or not.
“AS OF RIGHT NOW, I’M CONVINCED — BASED ON MY OWN INSTINCTS AND KNOWING THE NFL AND KNOWING WHAT HAPPENS AFTER ALL THESE DEFEATS AND DISCUSSIONS WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS ORGANIZATION, OF THE PACKERS’ INTERNAL DEBATES — THAT THEY ARE DONE WITH RODGERS. THAT’S THE WAY IT IS RIGHT NOW, THAT HE’S NOT COMING BACK. THEY’RE DISGUSTED WITH HIM AND THEY’RE DONE WITH HIM AND THEY’RE MOVING ON. THIS IS GOING TO INVOLVE MONEY AND A TRADE PARTNER AND ALL KINDS OF THINGS. BUT I’M TOTALLY CONVINCED HE IS NOT GOING TO BE THEIR STARTING QUARTERBACK THIS YEAR…

…IT’S LOVE’S TURN. THE ORGANIZATION’S GOING THAT WAY. AND THAT’S THE WAY IT IS. THIS IS EVERYBODY, I’M TOLD. THIS IS MURPHY. THIS IS LAFLEUR. THIS IS GUTEKUNST. THIS IS THE WHOLE SHOOTING MATCH. THEY’VE TURNED THE PAGE. THEY DON’T SEE RODGERS AS A GUY WHO’S REALLY WORKING HARD ANYMORE. THEY SEE A GUY WHO — WHEN HE REPORTED THIS YEAR — HIS BODY WASN’T SO-CALLED ‘TIGHT’ AND STRONG AS IT WAS. THEY SEE A GUY WHO BLEW OFF THE OFFSEASON LAST YEAR. … THEY’RE DONE.”

Wow. That certainly explains a lot. Green Bay had largely accepted Rodgers and his quirks because he always showed up in shape and prepared for the season. This time around, he didn’t arrive for off-season activities. When he showed up, he wasn’t in top shape or fully focused. Combine that with his clunker against Detroit in the season finale? It’s not hard to see why the Packers are done.

Freak Out
02-17-2023, 04:06 PM
Whole lotta Love.

RashanGary
02-17-2023, 04:14 PM
I believe it. No one will probably trade for him if it’s this bad. Horrible contract.

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 04:34 PM
I believe it. No one will probably trade for him if it’s this bad. Horrible contract.

Someone will be willing trade for him if Packers decide to move him. Contract may be restructured to make sure Rodgers has incentive to play more than 1 year. Or draft picks will be conditional.

red
02-17-2023, 05:36 PM
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/packers-reportedly-moving-on-from-aaron-rodgers/

ouch

THEY’RE DISGUSTED WITH HIM AND THEY’RE DONE WITH HIM AND THEY’RE MOVING ON.

told you guys he didn't want to be here last year and he was just phoning it in

he probably will go somewhere else and actually give it has all and look really good again, but its not gonna happen for us

red
02-17-2023, 05:40 PM

there's always someone

Fritz
02-17-2023, 05:56 PM

"Okay, Coach, I been watching film all offseason. I'm ready."

https://media.istockphoto.com/id/177537883/photo/overweight-man-watching-tv-on-the-couch.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=88m2EodUbAkP_HM6DfNrxC4wYd_OIzURHfa2uAJWHso=

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 05:58 PM
ouch

told you guys he didn't want to be here last year and he was just phoning it in

he probably will go somewhere else and actually give it has all and look really good again, but its not gonna happen for us

A lot of people are wondering what happens if Rodgers wants to return to the Packers but the Packers want to go with Love. I think in that case Rodgers would agree to a trade as long as it's to a team he feels he can have success with. I don't think he'll want to stay here if he feels he's not wanted here.

red
02-17-2023, 07:28 PM
A lot of people are wondering what happens if Rodgers wants to return to the Packers but the Packers want to go with Love. I think in that case Rodgers would agree to a trade as long as it's to a team he feels he can have success with. I don't think he'll want to stay here if he feels he's not wanted here.

if what mcginn says is at all true then its very disappointing that no one in the organization had the balls to demand that Love get more reps this season

Freak Out
02-17-2023, 07:32 PM
MVP and had a shot at the end.....but when he broke his thumb...yes they should have sat him.

call_me_ishmael
02-17-2023, 08:43 PM
Bob McGinn went from being a decent writer to getting fired from JSO and losing his press credentials because the Packers were sick of his BS. It may ultimately be true but I sincerely doubt Bob McGinn has any sources near the top of the new org that would talk to him. This sounds like a play to get subscriptions.

red
02-17-2023, 08:59 PM
Bob McGinn went from being a decent writer to getting fired from JSO and losing his press credentials because the Packers were sick of his BS. It may ultimately be true but I sincerely doubt Bob McGinn has any sources near the top of the new org that would talk to him. This sounds like a play to get subscriptions.

thats what happens when you don't toe the company line and say anything negative about the people that call all the shots

Joemailman
02-17-2023, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that McGinn still has contact with people at JSO who have good sources. Like Silverstein who I think has the best sources. I usually appreciated the fact that McGinn wasn't a homer. Bretsky worshipped him. Sometimes I thought McGinn took the anti-homer stance to the point of being unfair though.

King Friday
02-17-2023, 09:54 PM
I highly doubt that the Packers have already decided to move on from Rodgers. That doesn’t really align to how the 2022 season played out, or we would’ve seen more of Love considering the huge choice the team needs to make on his 5th year when it was fairly clear this was not a team challenging for a title. I suppose one could make the case it was an either-or proposition…if Rodgers stays, Love goes…or the opposite…and maybe the Packers are already confident enough to take the 5th year if Rodgers does indeed go.

However, I certainly believe the team is tired of the diva status and part time GM role that Rodgers has now carved out. I would not doubt that they could’ve given him an ultimatum regarding off-season activities, his “favored” playing partners, etc. Perhaps that in itself was enough to blow things up, although I still think that would be more from Rodgers’ own feelings and not the team. The Packers have every right with the amount of money they stand to pay him to expect considerable effort from Rodgers moving forward.

texaspackerbacker
02-18-2023, 02:18 AM
I HATED that piece of shit, McGinn a long time ago, way back when a lot of others were praising him. He's one of the primary reasons I started hating scumbag media pukes in the first place.

An acorn of obviousness from you on this, Friday. Of course they're not gonna move on from Rodgers. They could, however, still sign Love as a back up for a few more years if they think he's legit - and if Love would be content to hold the proverbial clipboard for a while longer.

The first step in "offseason activities" probably for everybody is letting your body heal itself for a week or so. If that happens to be in a dark room, a big whatever to that. I doubt Rodgers has ever skimped on "off season activities i.e. conditioning, past present, or future.

CaptainD
02-18-2023, 08:48 AM
What's the most Rodgers thing he could do? To me it's walk away and retire. He really doesn't need the money, no wife or kids so it's all in the bank. He also killed the "he won't go in with Brady to the HOF" theory a couple of weeks ago....why do you bring that up(which he did) unless it's on your mind.

His ego works the opposite I think...going in with Tom and JJ as super class appeals to the man. So don't be shocked if he calls it quits. Two cents.

Joemailman
02-18-2023, 09:25 AM
What's the most Rodgers thing he could do? To me it's walk away and retire. He really doesn't need the money, no wife or kids so it's all in the bank. He also killed the "he won't go in with Brady to the HOF" theory a couple of weeks ago....why do you bring that up(which he did) unless it's on your mind.

His ego works the opposite I think...going in with Tom and JJ as super class appeals to the man. So don't be shocked if he calls it quits. Two cents.

It's possible. But I think the most Rodgers thing to do would be to continue playing and prove his detractors wrong.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2023, 10:50 AM
thats what happens when you don't toe the company line and say anything negative about the people that call all the shots

I disagree. That’s what happens when you write about how Andrew Quarless’ stillborn - which he never publicized - effected his play. Totally unprofessional.

texaspackerbacker
02-18-2023, 12:35 PM
It's possible. But I think the most Rodgers thing to do would be to continue playing and prove his detractors wrong.

Plus One on that, Joe. Absodamnlutely!

King Friday
02-18-2023, 12:53 PM
I am 99.99% certain that Rodgers will NOT retire. I don’t see any compelling reason why he would with all that money still on the table. He didn’t push for a new deal last season to quit after this one.

MadScientist
02-18-2023, 01:49 PM
McGinn was paid by the Jets to write that to lower Rodgers trade value.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-18-2023, 02:16 PM
Rodgers has been a hoot to watch play, but the drama was always a drag.

I wish him the very best, as long as he is somewhere else.

Joemailman
02-18-2023, 04:58 PM
From reporting by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “At one point late last year, Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst told an NFL colleague he was convinced it was time the organization move on from quarterback Aaron Rodgers and see what Jordan Love had in him.”

I think Silverstein has the best sources of anyone covering the Packers.

red
02-18-2023, 05:59 PM
I HATED that piece of shit, McGinn a long time ago, way back when a lot of others were praising him. He's one of the primary reasons I started hating scumbag media pukes in the first place.

An acorn of obviousness from you on this, Friday. Of course they're not gonna move on from Rodgers. They could, however, still sign Love as a back up for a few more years if they think he's legit - and if Love would be content to hold the proverbial clipboard for a while longer.

The first step in "offseason activities" probably for everybody is letting your body heal itself for a week or so. If that happens to be in a dark room, a big whatever to that. I doubt Rodgers has ever skimped on "off season activities i.e. conditioning, past present, or future.

so you admit your problem is that you don't want to listen to anything you don't believe, no matter how true it may be

texaspackerbacker
02-18-2023, 08:23 PM
What??? Where does that come from? I read lots of unbelievable shit, sometimes even yours, red. How else is a person gonna know what scumbags those media pukes are except reading their shit?

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2023, 08:38 PM
Can someone that subscribes to Silverstein article hook a brother up in the trashy place.

Joemailman
02-18-2023, 09:58 PM
Can someone that subscribes to Silverstein article hook a brother up in the trashy place.

Go there.

https://img.wattpad.com/cover/234071442-256-k405347.jpg

ThunderDan
02-20-2023, 08:06 AM
This seems like click bait to me. Publish this just as ARod goes on his darkness retreat so there will be no response from Arod for 4+ days.

Joemailman
02-20-2023, 09:04 AM
This seems like click bait to me. Publish this just as ARod goes on his darkness retreat so there will be no response from Arod for 4+ days.

There probably wouldn't be any public response from Rodgers anyway. It's about a conversation between Gute and an NFL colleague. What response would he have about a conversation that didn't involve him?

Fritz
02-20-2023, 09:56 AM
There probably wouldn't be any public response from Rodgers anyway. It's about a conversation between Gute and an NFL colleague. What response would he have about a conversation that didn't involve him?

My favorite part is the phrase "NFL colleague." I imagine Gooter going into the men's room at the Don Hutson Center, unzipping at the urinal, the janitor swabbing the floor or cleaning a sink. Guter just watched Rodgers acting all flip toward The Flower while they were at practice. Gooter shakes his head to himself, says, "That goddamn Rodgers, I am so sick of the drama. I'm about ready to just dump his ass and see what the hell Love can do. Honestly, I'm just tired of it."

He zips up, leaves, and his NFL colleague reports this.

Joemailman
02-20-2023, 10:13 AM
My guess is NFL colleague would be John Schneider. They've been close since working together in Green Bay when Gute was a scout and Schneider a top personnel guy.

ThunderDan
02-20-2023, 11:14 AM

You don't think so? I do.

After all the shit we heard from ARod about the team being disrespectful and not sure they really want him there last time. And the draft day announcement of his crap.

ThunderDan
02-20-2023, 11:18 AM
I will guarantee next time ARod is on the McAfee show this will be brought up.

Joemailman
02-20-2023, 01:09 PM
I will guarantee next time ARod is on the McAfee show this will be brought up.

I don't think Rodgers does the McAfee through the offseason. So by the time he is on there, this story will be old news. It might already be old news to Rodgers because he has met with Gute since this reported conversation takes place.

Bretsky
02-20-2023, 09:33 PM

I think McGinn still has sources. And I think one is a guy who is still a beat guy for GB> You know he was going to get let go for being the anti homer. He can't cross those company lines that many times. The draft info he put out was hands down the best and very much missed. I miss the anti homer views; often they were spot on and were more than just the bland facts and details. He was the best beat writer GB has ever had

Bretsky
02-20-2023, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that McGinn still has contact with people at JSO who have good sources. Like Silverstein who I think has the best sources. I usually appreciated the fact that McGinn wasn't a homer. Bretsky worshipped him. Sometimes I thought McGinn took the anti-homer stance to the point of being unfair though.

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:: bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

Anti-Polar Bear
02-20-2023, 09:38 PM
I think McGinn still has sources. And I think one is a guy who is still a beat guy for GB> You know he was going to get let go for being the anti homer. He can't cross those company lines that many times. The draft info he put out was hands down the best and very much missed. I miss the anti homer views; often they were spot on and were more than just the bland facts and details. He was the best beat writer GB has ever had

McGinn wasn’t canned from the MJS. He quit, as in retired.

Bretsky
02-20-2023, 09:39 PM
Soon Rodgers will inforrm the Packers he's still wanting to play.

AND

Then he'll ask them what their plans are with the veterans and inquire if they really want him back and allow that to get out, if not through his toolbag.

Sharon is going to control the narrative; I don't think he's liked how Gutebag has tried to change it and he's going to turn that around soon imo

Fosco33
02-20-2023, 09:42 PM
As Tex would say - fuck the media. There’s no credible sources besides AR. So chill the fuck out w/ the circle jerk and wait for him to tell us if he’s playing then we can delve into where.

If I were AR - I’d tell the media and all you ‘fans’ to F off based on the last 2 years and go chill w/ hot models for the rest of my life.

sharpe1027
02-20-2023, 09:47 PM
As Tex would say - fuck the media. There’s no credible sources besides AR. So chill the fuck out w/ the circle jerk and wait for him to tell us if he’s playing then we can delve into where.

If I were AR - I’d tell the media and all you ‘fans’ to F off based on the last 2 years and go chill w/ hot models for the rest of my life.
If I was Aaron Rodgers, my name would be different.

Bretsky
02-20-2023, 10:13 PM

I think 99 percent think they know he’s coming back.

I am really surprised you have not seen his drastic changes in the past few years. He is our best qb and gives us the best chance to win the most games. But there are legitimate reasons in the complete turnaround of packer fans with about 75 percent of gb fans sick of his act and ready to move on

Fosco33
02-21-2023, 04:24 AM
I think 99 percent think they know he’s coming back.

I am really surprised you have not seen his drastic changes in the past few years. He is our best qb and gives us the best chance to win the most games. But there are legitimate reasons in the complete turnaround of packer fans with about 75 percent of gb fans sick of his act and ready to move on

I have seen a turnaround. His drama of 4-5 years ago and in game frustration was annoying. I must be in the minority that has seen a more mature, caring qb. I also don’t react to sound bites taken out of context or speculation.

He’s def aging and well past prime. But I don’t see any reason for the shade.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-21-2023, 05:35 AM
I have seen a turnaround. His drama of 4-5 years ago and in game frustration was annoying. I must be in the minority that has seen a more mature, caring qb. I also don’t react to sound bites taken out of context or speculation.

AROD is well past his prime and STILL a prima donna, we should have traded him last year when we could have gotten more.

sharpe1027
02-21-2023, 07:14 AM

None whatsoever?

Fosco33
02-21-2023, 08:04 AM
None whatsoever?

I didn’t like AR for many years. But I genuinely like him way more these past 2-3 years. So if the question was no reason for recent shade - nope.

Do I wish he’d have taken a team friendly deal, sure. But I can’t blame anyone for getting paid - esp a recent 2x mvp.

Give him the Cowboys line or the Niners/Chiefs weapons and he’d be fine again as a player.

As a person - I see the world very similarly as AR.

call_me_ishmael
02-21-2023, 09:15 AM
McGinn wasn’t canned from the MJS. He quit, as in retired.

You really believe this? I think it's more of "the break-up was mutual" situation when a person gets dumped.

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 09:25 AM
Soon Rodgers will inforrm the Packers he's still wanting to play.

AND

Then he'll ask them what their plans are with the veterans and inquire if they really want him back and allow that to get out, if not through his toolbag.

Sharon is going to control the narrative; I don't think he's liked how Gutebag has tried to change it and he's going to turn that around soon imo

Rodgers has zero need to leak anything. If the Packers begin shopping him, there are enough sources throughout the league that it will be widely reported even if he doesn't leak/say a word.

As for the theme that people are "sick of his act", thats simply code for "sick of the results". I promise if we had just won the owl, no one would be sick of the act, we would just be praying he comes back.

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 09:26 AM
AROD is well past his prime and STILL a prima donna, we should have traded him last year when we could have gotten more.

He is exactly one season off back to back MVP awards. How is that "well past his prime"?

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 09:28 AM
I didn’t like AR for many years. But I genuinely like him way more these past 2-3 years. So if the question was no reason for recent shade - nope.

Do I wish he’d have taken a team friendly deal, sure. But I can’t blame anyone for getting paid - esp a recent 2x mvp.

Give him the Cowboys line or the Niners/Chiefs weapons and he’d be fine again as a player.

I agree with some of this except for the idea we haven't given him enough talent. He did in fact win 2 MVPs. This last season losing Adams clearly was a blow we weren't prepared for, but I blame injuries, particularily his thumb, more than anything else.

texaspackerbacker
02-21-2023, 09:43 AM
Seems like a couple of converts. The rest of ya'all that are still on the dark side are welcome anytime hahahaha.

There's a lot not to like about Rodgers, even for me - the hippie shit, the fact that he gets paid so-o-o-o much, the recent bad season ...... wait, though, his "bad" season was still better than most QBs most of the time. If he's an asshole, he's OUR asshole who has brought us 15+ absolutely great years, and I fully expect him to bring us several more great seasons. We found out one year what Packer football was like when Rodgers was injured and out most of the season, and we found out what it's like when he was playing injured and less effective than normal last season. Is THAT what ya'all haters prefer?

Fosco33
02-21-2023, 09:53 AM
I agree with some of this except for the idea we haven't given him enough talent. He did in fact win 2 MVPs. This last season losing Adams clearly was a blow we weren't prepared for, but I blame injuries, particularily his thumb, more than anything else.

Watkins and Amari were terrible. Rooks were rooks. TE was not a threat. RBs are good/very good. Def underperformed until late season.

Agreed on the thumb for sure. It was very different after the Giants game.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-21-2023, 12:09 PM
He is exactly one season off back to back MVP awards. How is that "well past his prime"?

In football years, and at his age, 1 year is well past his prime. Trade him.

RashanGary
02-21-2023, 12:41 PM
Watkins and Amari were terrible. Rooks were rooks. TE was not a threat. RBs are good/very good. Def underperformed until late season.

The OL was atrocious to start the season. Bakh and Jenkins settled in later and made it average.

Fritz
02-21-2023, 01:13 PM

If this is true, then right now you're not seeing anything at all.

run pMc
02-21-2023, 04:37 PM
Peter King wrote this in his column

This is not in any way scientific, because there aren’t a ton of NFL GMs and personnel people who hang around the Super Bowl. But Aaron Rodgers starts what he called a four-day darkness period in the pitch dark of a home, alone, today, and there was eyebrow-raising among a few league or team people I brought this up with, the reaction being: I can see why the Packers would consider trading him. Seems like a good person, but he might be more trouble than he’s worth. Not to the Jets.

I could see a team getting tired of the antics -- look at weirdo Russell Wilson -- and wonder if he's worth it. Obviously they tolerate it more when they win, but a season like the one they had brings on more scrutiny.

I'd also point out that there were an awful lot of times when the TV feed would show Rodgers, and he did not look like he was having fun out there -- too many times where he was mad about something or... lets call it moody body language. Maybe the TV crews are purposely looking for it to make it a story, but I don't recall this happening back in the mid 2010's. I think there's much more drama with Rodgers than 4-5 years ago.

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 06:11 PM
Seems like a couple of converts. The rest of ya'all that are still on the dark side are welcome anytime hahahaha.

There's a lot not to like about Rodgers, even for me - the hippie shit, the fact that he gets paid so-o-o-o much, the recent bad season ...... wait, though, his "bad" season was still better than most QBs most of the time. If he's an asshole, he's OUR asshole who has brought us 15+ absolutely great years, and I fully expect him to bring us several more great seasons. We found out one year what Packer football was like when Rodgers was injured and out most of the season, and we found out what it's like when he was playing injured and less effective than normal last season. Is THAT what ya'all haters prefer?

Not sure if you are referring to me as a convert, but I assure you I want to trade Rodgers. Its simply the smart thing to do from a team standpoint. I just can't get onboard people being stupid.

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 06:12 PM

But he still stunk up the Detroit play in game. My point about them giving him enough talent stems a career, not one season.

bobblehead
02-21-2023, 06:13 PM
In football years, and at his age, 1 year is well past his prime. Trade him.

This is beyond silly. I get you hate ARod for entirely non football reasons, but your argument is devoid of.....anything. He is getting old for an athlete. He is past his physical peak. "well past his prime" is ridiculous.

Fosco33
02-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Well he could be hallucinating right now. I sure wish I was too. Ha!

sharpe1027
02-21-2023, 08:28 PM
I am not dead set on a trade, but I think it's the better option if they can get good value.

Even if Rodgers comes into camp fit and slinging it like two years ago (possible but not guaranteed) his age and recent history put him at risk of another injury that derails the year.

In the end, I'd say take the risk that you can build a better team instead of putting everything on one player that didn't play well last year and might retire soon.

Fosco33
02-21-2023, 09:06 PM
I’ve been fine w/ the trade option but that’s really on AR. And he has said he wants to be a Packer - it’s why he signed the deal. So I think it’ll be return or retire.

sharpe1027
02-21-2023, 09:52 PM
I’ve been fine w/ the trade option but that’s really on AR. And he has said he wants to be a Packer - it’s why he signed the deal. So I think it’ll be return or retire.

I don't put too much stock in public statements He can't really say anything about leaving unless he's committed to leaving. Even then, he may want to put the blame elsewhere

call_me_ishmael
02-22-2023, 12:24 AM
I thought this was interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/118njr8/saw_this_post_on_twitter_and_was_immediately/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

ThunderDan
02-22-2023, 08:02 AM
I thought this was interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/118njr8/saw_this_post_on_twitter_and_was_immediately/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I am a huge believer in statistics. That just doesn't line up with what I saw this year. Yes, there were a bunch of drops. I don't argue that number. But I sure remember a hell of a lot of passes skipping to receivers in the flats and elsewhere on the field.

Fosco33
02-22-2023, 08:14 AM
I don't put too much stock in public statements He can't really say anything about leaving unless he's committed to leaving. Even then, he may want to put the blame elsewhere

Eh. I think he’s matured. He owned that he had to play better.

But if I had to pick if a receiver ran the wrong route or coaches put in a bad play/scheme - I’m going w/ a top 5 cerebral QB’s opinion.

He also has never went against anything he’s previously said - he’s stubborn like that. I do think if he returns it’ll be for GnG. I just don’t know what else he wants to prove except another ring and some cash. He just has to be fair and see does he and the team have a legit shot at the ring… and if not - he should hang em up.

call_me_ishmael
02-22-2023, 12:12 PM
I am on team rapoport and peliserro over the local people.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1628171184948023297

texaspackerbacker
02-22-2023, 12:23 PM
I scrolled down to the video of those high rises being demolished ....... wow, that was cool!

bobblehead
02-22-2023, 06:08 PM
Who taught that cat CPR?

Joemailman
02-23-2023, 08:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpqBl6gXgAAcgfu?format=jpg&name=large

Chester Marcol
02-23-2023, 08:16 AM
Did he see his shadow? Will there be 6 more weeks of speculation?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-23-2023, 08:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpqBl6gXgAAcgfu?format=jpg&name=large

There's a fire starting in Butte’s heart
Reaching a fever pitch, it's bringing him out the dark
Finally he can see the Packers crystal clear
Go ahead and sell Butte out; he’ll lay their shit bare

King Friday
02-23-2023, 11:05 AM
Commitment is spending 2 days on a 4 day darkness spiritual journey.

Sparkey
02-23-2023, 11:42 AM
If you divide a day into 12 hrs daylight and 12 of darkness, then technically a 4 "day" darkness retreat is 48 hours.

Sparkey
02-23-2023, 11:45 AM
And time is a man made perception based on our solar day. In total darkness does time even exist ?

ThunderDan
02-23-2023, 12:23 PM
And time is a man made perception based on our solar day. In total darkness does time even exist ?

:whaa::whaa::whaa::whaa::whaa:

Joemailman
02-23-2023, 12:31 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/xlGYf1RUbYYes/giphy.webp

SudsMcBucky
02-23-2023, 12:58 PM

Aaron, is that you???

Fritz
02-23-2023, 02:33 PM
Aaron, is that you???

If Rodgers has any sense of humor at all, when reporters ask him if the retreat helped him make up his mind about retirement, he will say "I don't know. I'm still in the dark."

Joemailman
02-23-2023, 02:50 PM
ChatGPT weighs in on Aaron Rodgers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fpq3uhJXsAIrcm5?format=jpg&name=small

sharpe1027
02-23-2023, 03:22 PM
ChatGPT weighs in on Aaron Rodgers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fpq3uhJXsAIrcm5?format=jpg&name=small

Harsh. AI has the, I am not saying, I'm just saying, down pat.

Fosco33
02-23-2023, 04:14 PM
It lost me on playing poorly in multiple Super Bowls

MadtownPacker
02-23-2023, 07:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpqBl6gXgAAcgfu?format=jpg&name=largeLasted a little longer than the postseason.

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2023, 07:41 PM
Did he see his shadow? Will there be 6 more weeks of speculation?

Best Post in 11 pages IMO.

QBME
02-24-2023, 04:53 PM
Been following this poll for a while. It is open for a while, and I have ruminated.

I vote “Other”.

Other whom?

Himself.
No matter what colors he flys, he has a singular focus.

Even if he retires.

Joemailman
02-28-2023, 09:05 AM
Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

Gutekunst on whether he wants Rodgers back:

“He’s a great player, but until we have those conversations, I think all options are on the table. We need to have those conversations. We want what's best for the Green Bay Packers, what's best for him so we'll get to that coming up.”

Sounds like they only want Rodgers back if certain conditions are met.

bobblehead
02-28-2023, 09:35 AM
Sounds like they only want Rodgers back if certain conditions are met.

I believe the conditions are that he commits to being in shape and not just mailing it in. That seems like the minimum every player under contract should offer.

Joemailman
02-28-2023, 10:47 AM
A couple of years ago Rodgers wanted assurances that the Packers were all-in. Now the roles are reversed.

Fritz
02-28-2023, 11:28 AM
Unless one of the Packers' conditions is that Rodgers quite being so public about his feelings about roster moves - that they don't intend to bring certain guys back that Rodgers has been clamoring for, and if he doesn't like that, well, maybe it's time to move on.

Could be that, too.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2023, 11:35 AM
I doubt they much care about that.

Jaire
02-28-2023, 03:34 PM
I just saw the presser with Gute. It sounds like he's moving on (or possibly retiring). And it looks like the Jets to me. I have a hard time seeing him go to the Raiders. Don't know if the Bucs have the picks, but that is still a pretty stacked team.

Of course, I've been pretty vocal about keeping him, but even to me now, it seems like a good time for him to move on.

Joemailman
02-28-2023, 04:46 PM
I just saw the presser with Gute. It sounds like he's moving on (or possibly retiring). And it looks like the Jets to me. I have a hard time seeing him go to the Raiders. Don't know if the Bucs have the picks, but that is still a pretty stacked team.

Of course, I've been pretty vocal about keeping him, but even to me now, it seems like a good time for him to move on.

Bucs have a lot of talent. However, they're 57 million over the cap, so they likely won't be able to keep all that talent. My concern is Jets might be the only team interested in acquiring Rodgers which would lessen Gute's bargaining power in a trade.

beveaux1
02-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Bucs have a lot of talent. However, they're 57 million over the cap, so they likely won't be able to keep all that talent. My concern is Jets might be the only team interested in acquiring Rodgers which would lessen Gute's bargaining power in a trade.

If you decide to trade Rodgers, what you get in a trade is not the most important factor. Removing the contract might be the most important factor. Maybe it’s trying to see if Love can be a pro QB. If it was what you receive in a trade, that ship sailed off last year.

Joemailman
02-28-2023, 07:44 PM
We know where Randall Cobb stands on all this.

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/1446208975/photo/randall-cobb-of-the-green-bay-packers-looks-on-with-a-choose-love-slogan-on-his-helmet-during.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=htai2cgSEnj1925Fhce1deApJCtwJAmDEdLXIj2rPC4=

Fritz
03-01-2023, 11:58 AM
Even if you trade Rodgers, aren't you still going to have a huge cap hit from him for all the void years and such? To me, this is really about giving Love the reins to see if he's the guy, for sure, and getting a start on that if he is. It's less about compensation for Rodgers - if you could get a third this year and a first next year, great - than it is about just starting a new era and giving Love a chance to show if he's The Guy.

I heard Rodgers made some comments about his football future on some health guru's podcast this morning. Adam Schefter was practically having a boner, promising viewers they'd scour the podcast to bring any comments to the mass audience. So we'll see.

Joemailman
03-01-2023, 12:18 PM
Titans GM has said Tannehill will be a Titan in 2023. McDaniels has said he wants Raiders QB to be here a long time. Granted, it may not be his call. But it's increasingly looking like Rodgers' choices might be Packers, Jets, or retirement.

Jaire
03-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Even if you trade Rodgers, aren't you still going to have a huge cap hit from him for all the void years and such? To me, this is really about giving Love the reins to see if he's the guy, for sure, and getting a start on that if he is. It's less about compensation for Rodgers - if you could get a third this year and a first next year, great - than it is about just starting a new era and giving Love a chance to show if he's The Guy.

I heard Rodgers made some comments about his football future on some health guru's podcast this morning. Adam Schefter was practically having a boner, promising viewers they'd scour the podcast to bring any comments to the mass audience. So we'll see.

Someone on another forum actually asked Gute at a bar in London about the cap hit. Gute said he could release AR after June 1: not a prob. Fans make more of the cap than GMs. Maybe they can work something else out too and rework the contract.

Yeah, I read the excerpt from that interview. It sounds to me AR has decided and he tried not to reveal what that is before he talks it over with Gute. But, he revealed what he tried to conceal imo.

edit: And I believe Gute has purposefully leaked and said enough to make it clear that he is moving to Love. I actually like the way he's handling it (so far).

Teamcheez1
03-01-2023, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the divorce is underway. They just need to divide the property.

Joemailman
03-01-2023, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the divorce is underway. They just need to divide the property.

I think it's about each side wanting to make it look like the divorce was the other side's idea.

texaspackerbacker
03-01-2023, 03:33 PM
Someone on another forum actually asked Gute at a bar in London about the cap hit. Gute said he could release AR after June 1: not a prob. Fans make more of the cap than GMs. Maybe they can work something else out too and rework the contract.

Yeah, I read the excerpt from that interview. It sounds to me AR has decided and he tried not to reveal what that is before he talks it over with Gute. But, he revealed what he tried to conceal imo.

edit: And I believe Gute has purposefully leaked and said enough to make it clear that he is moving to Love. I actually like the way he's handling it (so far).

Gute at a bar in London hahahahahaha. Seriously? It's true, though, "Fans make more of the cap than GMs" - idiotically more hahahaha. The reason all this stupid talk about trading Rodgers is just that: stupid talk, is that Gutekunst et al want to win games, and having Rodgers at QB is clearly the best way to do that. Is anybody seriously dumb enough to think otherwise? Oh yeah, the poll says over a dozen in here actually are hahahahaha.

red
03-01-2023, 06:44 PM
I think it's about each side wanting to make it look like the divorce was the other side's idea.

i think its that, and trying to maximize trade value

if only 1 team wants him, and they know we want to get rid of him desperately , then we can expect a future 4th round conditional pick in return for him

bobblehead
03-01-2023, 07:43 PM
Someone on another forum actually asked Gute at a bar in London about the cap hit. Gute said he could release AR after June 1: not a prob. Fans make more of the cap than GMs. .

Gutes and I were pinned down in a foxhole in Ukraine so we had time to deep dive. He told me that he is just flat out sick of Rodgers and probably would deal him to the Jets for a 4th for symmetry's sake.

bobblehead
03-01-2023, 07:44 PM
i think its that, and trying to maximize trade value

if only 1 team wants him, and they know we want to get rid of him desperately , then we can expect a future 4th round conditional pick in return for him

Damn Red...were you eavesdropping from the foxhole next door?

Bretsky
03-01-2023, 09:09 PM
Gutes and I were pinned down in a foxhole in Ukraine so we had time to deep dive. He told me that he is just flat out sick of Rodgers and probably would deal him to the Jets for a 4th for symmetry's sake.

I just got out of a 4 day Darkness

I visualized what it would be like to watch another fuil year of Aaron Rodgers and then I visualized what it would be like to watch a full year of Jordan Love as our QB

I FEEL AT PEACE ! :)

Fritz
03-02-2023, 11:45 AM
So are you at peace because they're both fine options? Or because there's nothing you can do to affect how it goes down?

Or because you just watched some of your favorite porn so now you're relaxed?

Jaire
03-02-2023, 12:51 PM

Laugh all you want. The fellow who is a huge Packers fan, persisted and was able to hang out with the Packers at their hotel when they went to London and he spent some time with Gute in a friendly chat and asked him what he'd do about the contract. I have no reason to doubt his word.

Really. Fans make more out of the cap than GMs. Gute has publicly stated that the cap is not as big a deal as fans make it to be.

Fritz
03-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Laugh all you want. The fellow who is a huge Packers fan, persisted and was able to hang out with the Packers at their hotel when they went to London and he spent some time with Gute in a friendly chat and asked him what he'd do about the contract. I have no reason to doubt his word.

Really. Fans make more out of the cap than GMs. Gute has publicly stated that the cap is not as big a deal as fans make it to be.

So you think Gutes is ready to move on?

Bretsky
03-02-2023, 10:47 PM
So are you at peace because they're both fine options? Or because there's nothing you can do to affect how it goes down?

Or because you just watched some of your favorite porn so now you're relaxed?

I'm at peace, beca8use on one hand I saw AROD taking us to 11 wins and shitting on himself again in a second half playoff game to leave us all in turmoil again

Then I saw, Jordan Love develop and lead us to 8 wins but give us hope

And rather than get frustrated with either situation, then I watched porn because reality is we're not winning the Big Show either way next year.

Bretsky
03-02-2023, 10:55 PM
LISTEN to what is being said and compare last year versus this

Last year Gute was giving Aaron handies and offering up anything and everything he could to bring him back. Pretty sure MM and MFL were doing the same for AROD

This year Gute has a completely different tune. He's more than fine if 12 moves on, he might even want that. And if 12 returns he wants him back under only his conditions. Attend the OTA's, come back in football shape, and don't leverage GB to signing any of the chronies at all. And by the way, 12 has been fired in his role as Assistant GM, because, to be frank, he sucked as the Assistant GM last year.

This whole thing is so interesting. What if AROD wants to come back and wants to come back to GB, on the terms that are in the best interests that Gute deems for the GB Packers.
I wonder if Gute would even believe he's that dedicated anymore.

And we don't hear much from MM and MLF. It's quite possible Gute is the only one who wants to move forward with the Love Machine.

And everybody thinks 12 is going to play; but by not talking is he trying to leverage his buddies coming back; because I think Gute's views on that are different from last year.

Gute seems like he's stronger this year; realized last year was a complete f'cking wreck and he wants to take the power back. It's all interesting

Fritz
03-03-2023, 07:15 AM
New whispers - that Carolina is at least asking about Rodgers's availability and the cost to have him in terms of draft picks.

As others have stated, the Pack might not get as much for Rodgers as we think; he's basically a one- or two-year rental for whomever gets him. At this point, it's as much about breaking away from him as it is about the compensation. They won't give him away, naturally, but I won't be surprised if it's nothing more than say a second rounder, or conditional picks based on how much Rodgers plays or how long or both.

Joemailman
03-03-2023, 07:42 AM
There were reports Carolina has contacted Packers about Rodgers. And reports refuting those reports. So who knows?

ThunderDan
03-03-2023, 08:00 AM
There were reports Carolina has contacted Packers about Rodgers. And reports refuting those reports. So who knows?

Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in hearts of men.

Sparkey
03-03-2023, 08:38 AM
LISTEN to what is being said and compare last year versus this

Last year Gute was giving Aaron handies and offering up anything and everything he could to bring him back. Pretty sure MM and MFL were doing the same for AROD

This year Gute has a completely different tune. He's more than fine if 12 moves on, he might even want that. And if 12 returns he wants him back under only his conditions. Attend the OTA's, come back in football shape, and don't leverage GB to signing any of the chronies at all. And by the way, 12 has been fired in his role as Assistant GM, because, to be frank, he sucked as the Assistant GM last year.

This whole thing is so interesting. What if AROD wants to come back and wants to come back to GB, on the terms that are in the best interests that Gute deems for the GB Packers.
I wonder if Gute would even believe he's that dedicated anymore.

And we don't hear much from MM and MLF. It's quite possible Gute is the only one who wants to move forward with the Love Machine.

And everybody thinks 12 is going to play; but by not talking is he trying to leverage his buddies coming back; because I think Gute's views on that are different from last year.

Gute seems like he's stronger this year; realized last year was a complete f'cking wreck and he wants to take the power back. It's all interesting

They only want one voice commenting. No more multiple, possibly conflicting responses.

Fritz
03-03-2023, 11:22 AM

I suppose if nobody really knows but Gutekunst can use the uncertainty to drive up the price, then good.

After all our speculating it'd be funny if Rodgers just decided to retire.

If he really is going to emulate Favre, though, he'd need to retire, then hem and haw and decide to unretire, and THEN get traded to the Jest.

Jaire
03-03-2023, 01:41 PM
So you think Gutes is ready to move on?

Based on what Gute said at the combine, definitely. I also think McGinn's report probably has some truth to it. Imo, the time to move on is now: they are in rebuild mode.

(Not based on the chat in a London bar: Gute just needs to have contingency plans, and his comments revealed just that, nothing much. Just confirmation that cap is not as big a deal as folks make it.)

Joemailman
03-03-2023, 01:48 PM
When Gute said on Tuesday "All options are on the table", he was really saying they're open for business re Rodgers. The question is how much of a market there is. Take everything you hear right now with a grain of salt.

call_me_ishmael
03-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Do you really think Gooter was talking with the general population at some pub in London? I don't believe that for a second. That'd be like seeing him at a bar in Charlotte on game weekend. Extraordinarily unlikely. It's not like the team is hanging out in London for the week. It's all business and it's a very short trip.

Joemailman
03-03-2023, 02:16 PM
Do you really think Gooter was talking with the general population at some pub in London? I don't believe that for a second. That'd be like seeing him at a bar in Charlotte on game weekend. Extraordinarily unlikely. It's not like the team is hanging out in London for the week. It's all business and it's a very short trip.

Gute might have been here.

The next day, Saturday, Oct. 8, the main pep rally will take place in the early afternoon, hosted by Green Bay native and Emmy award-winning sportscaster John Anderson. The event will feature Packers alumni Marv Fleming, LeRoy Butler, Nick Collins and James Jones, as well as Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy, who will stop by to visit with fans and discuss the next day's game.

Jaire
03-03-2023, 02:22 PM
When Gute said on Tuesday "All options are on the table", he was really saying they're open for business re Rodgers. The question is how much of a market there is. Take everything you hear right now with a grain of salt.

I agree on the grain of salt. BUT, Gute imo gave huge indications.

It was other comments by Gute that were really eyebrow raising. lol: asked if Gute wante AR back, he hesitated and didn't answer straight but said he has to make sure AR is "the right fit." If that was not ALL we need to know, he has said on Jordan: "I'm excited to see Jordan to play and grow and I certainly expect that to be here." But if Jordan is ready this year and needs to play and also Jordan will be doing it in GB, that doesn't leave any room for AR.

I'm the biggest AR fan, but I do think it's in his best interest and the team's for him to move on.

Jaire
03-03-2023, 02:26 PM

Again, I have no reason to doubt it. He was at the team's hotel. After being turned away the first night, he was allowed in the second and spent time with a number of players and coaches at the bar. Nothing remarkable imo. The entire account and interaction at the other forum, really leave no doubt he was telling the truth.

Fritz
03-03-2023, 02:33 PM

I'm taking your reply with a grain of salt.

Some of the stuff Jaire is posting does make sense - it sure does seem like Gutes (and thus the organization) has eased off on the whole "we really really want Aaron back here" stuff from last year. Even seems a slightly different tone than just after the season, as you point out above.

Rodgers didn't sound, in that podcast, that he was super excited about starting over somewhere else, but at the same time, I think he's conscious of not wanting to be unwilling to try new things in life. Who knows?

As a Packer fan, my hope is that he wants to play - somewhere else. My hope as a Packer fan is that the Packers get as much as they can in return. Rodgers was a great, great quarterback, and we were blessed to see him in green and gold for so long. But I'm just ready for the next thing now. I'm a little tired of the annual hemming and hawing - it's natural, I'm sure, as it would be to anyone who is contemplating retirement - but I'm still tired of it as a fan. I'm also excited to see what Love can do. I've heard that Love is powerful and can change people's lives.

Joemailman
03-03-2023, 02:42 PM
I meant "Grain of salt" in terms of comments about how much if a market here is for Rodgers. For instance, I'm not totally buying the reports that the Raiders aren't interested. I do buy the comments that the Jets are interested. The Jets owner, who likes to get involved in football operations, has made it clear he thinks all they need is a vet QB. And he was the owner when they traded for Favre.

Jaire
03-03-2023, 03:13 PM
I'm listening from the 1:06:00 mark on in the interview with AR. I know a lot of folks don't like hearing him, but AR is maybe the most forthcoming, open NFL player. I also disagree that AR was the problem. The league has gotten sloppy, most notable in Oline play (and the first half was the worst line play I've seen in GB ever). The Packers' defense grossly underperformed: this especially.

Anyways, AR has some interesting stuff here for those interested in the state of the Pack. Usually, I find AR has a really thoughtful take though he is not very self-critical, but with the career and highlights he's given me as a fan, I give him a pass. I'll be rooting for him to win the SB whereever he goes next year so long as that path isn't through GB.

video at end if your interested. I am still finishing. (Btw, I did lose a bit of confidence in MLF last year.)

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/mecole-hardman-free-agent-rumors-contract/

Fritz
03-03-2023, 04:20 PM
I meant "Grain of salt" in terms of comments about how much if a market here is for Rodgers. For instance, I'm not totally buying the reports that the Raiders aren't interested. I do buy the comments that the Jets are interested. The Jets owner, who likes to get involved in football operations, has made it clear he thinks all they need is a vet QB. And he was the owner when they traded for Favre.

I know, Joe, I was just messing around. I do find your opinions to be valuable, so when I read about who you think might be interested in Rodgers, I pay attention. I'm, of course, hoping for a bidding war. But at this point, I'll take most anything for the guy. I don't really hate him and all that, I'm just tired of the dance. And I don't blame him now for doing the dance. Deciding whether or not to retire is a big damn deal.

Joemailman
03-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Jacob Morley
@JacobMorley

Daniel Jeremiah and Rich Eisen both mention hearing things "In the halls" of the combine.

DJ says he thinks Rodgers will be a Jet.

Also added he doesn't think it will take a 1st.

Sam Holman
@Sam_DHolman
Keep in mind that DJ and Rich are probably hearing these things from teams with a vested interest in driving down Rodgers' price (ie. because they want to trade for him).

red
03-03-2023, 08:08 PM
Gute might have been here.

maybe the person got gutes mixed up with leroy?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/950525914152136704/NFnptgV__400x400.jpg

https://npr.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/7c89b7c/2147483647/strip/true/crop/3387x2258+0+0/resize/880x587!/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F34%2F38%2Ffa35835c44 5fb8a63b7718fb8fcd%2Fgettyimages-1369871598.jpg

i don't see color, so i see twins

red
03-03-2023, 08:12 PM

keep in mind that rich has probably had over a thousand head injuries, and the voices he "heard" were probably just one of the 2 million talk radio shows that talked about it this week

bobblehead
03-03-2023, 08:46 PM
I actually think Gutes has a deal in place and is waiting for Rodgers to speak up. He went from "we desperately want ARod back" to "Love is ready to play". He isn't trying to convince the league that it would take a big offer anymore. Thats telling.

texaspackerbacker
03-03-2023, 11:55 PM
I say again, it ain't gonna happen. He won't retire, and he won't be traded, period.

call_me_ishmael
03-04-2023, 12:11 AM
Peliserro and Rapoport have been pretty silent on the topic this week. I will wait for them to report before passing judgement, but it certainly feels like the writing is on the wall. JLove is gonna wanna be traded - so I view it as they have no alternative if they think he has the juice to play for ten years.

What's funny is I read something that NFL executives look at a five year window and assume a guy can play for 5 years. Man, if you have JLove for 5 years vs Rodgers for 2, IDK that I would pull the trigger. For ten I probably would.

sharpe1027
03-04-2023, 12:52 AM
I say again, it ain't gonna happen. He won't retire, and he won't be traded, period.

You may be right
I may be crazy
Hey, but It just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light
Oh, don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know
You may be right
You may be wrong but you may be right

ThunderDan
03-04-2023, 08:17 AM
You may be right
I may be crazy