PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Want Gute To Draft At #15?

Joemailman
04-14-2023, 09:42 PM
Who Do You Want Gute To Draft At #15?

Assuming the following players are gone. Feel free to disagree:

Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Will Anderson, Anthony Richardson, Jalen Carter, Christian Gonzalez, Tyree Wilson, Devon Witherspoon, Will Levis, Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson

Poll To Follow

Joemailman
04-14-2023, 09:55 PM
I'll keep going with a Georgia guy. Jones may not come as ready to start as Skoronski and Johnson, but he has a ton of upside.

HarveyWallbangers
04-14-2023, 10:29 PM
I'll keep going with a Georgia guy. Jones may not come as ready to start as Skoronski and Johnson, but he has a ton of upside.

I wasn't super high on him--this coming from a guy who likes Georgia guys and had Andrew Thomas rated #1 in his class. He fits the athletic profile that Green Bay likes. Then again, so does Skoronski and Johnson.

I'm going Myles Murphy. I'm hoping some guys you didn't list fall (primarily, Skoronski and Johnson). Of the guys you listed, I guess JSN would be #2. No way Darnell Washington should sniff the #15 pick.

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2023, 10:59 PM
I'd like to see them trade down ideally, but if an OT is there that they like or JSN I'm good with it. They need to set JLo up for success. I think it'd be pretty neat to land two of the top TEs, so whatever it takes to do that and get an OT and solid edge I'm good with.

Bretsky
04-14-2023, 11:21 PM
Van Ness didn't make the list ?

Joemailman
04-14-2023, 11:28 PM
Van Ness didn't make the list ?

That was an oversight. That's why I always include Other as an option.:-D

The Shadow
04-15-2023, 10:05 AM
Van Ness.

Fritz
04-15-2023, 10:06 AM
I went with the Clemson guy. The edge rusher, who I get mixed up with the tight end from Notre Dame. Michael Myers? Myles Murphy? Michael Murphy? Myles Myers?

But I'd be okay with a defensive lineman or offensive tackle or a wide receiver or a tight end - though not the Georgia kid, Darnell Washington. Why would you spend the #15 pick on a blocking tight end? If blocking is that important, go draft an offensive tackle.

And don't draft a safety there just because you need one. The safeties don't seem good and the top ones don't seem good fits for Green Bay. They have a slot guy already.

And please don't draft a corner in the first round unless you think the guy is the next coming of Jaire Alexander.

Joemailman
04-15-2023, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't draft Wahington at 25, but I think he's more than a blocker. He wasn't utilized as a receiver much at Georgia, but he showed some impressive skills when he was. Georgia had a sophomore TE, Brock Bowers, who they threw to more. But Washington had a 16.2 YPC when they did throw to him.

Bretsky
04-15-2023, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't draft Wahington at 25, but I think he's more than a blocker. He wasn't utilized as a receiver much at Georgia, but he showed some impressive skills when he was. Georgia had a sophomore TE, Brock Bowers, who they threw to more. But Washington had a 16.2 YPC when they did throw to him.

I don't know the why but many consider him a high upside boom or bust guy.

Bretsky
04-15-2023, 05:08 PM
That was an oversight. That's why I always include Other as an option.:-D

has the TCU WR"s draft stock fallen ?

I'm going to choose the WR and continue my disappointment of hoping for a R1 WR which was tripled the year we drafted the Luv Machine over Mr Higgins in Cincy.

I'd also take Murphy or Van Ness; not sure who I'd prefer there yet.

Since Gutebag only drafts crap in round three, I'd just plan on using my R3 pick to trade up in round 2 and get a TE of value. Hopefully we have two R2 picks this year; good change if we unload Karen

Joemailman
04-15-2023, 05:39 PM
has the TCU WR"s draft stock fallen ?

I'm going to choose the WR and continue my disappointment of hoping for a R1 WR which was tripled the year we drafted the Luv Machine over Mr Higgins in Cincy.

I'd also take Murphy or Van Ness; not sure who I'd prefer there yet.

Since Gutebag only drafts crap in round three, I'd just plan on using my R3 pick to trade up in round 2 and get a TE of value. Hopefully we have two R2 picks this year; good change if we unload Karen

Most mocks now have him going between 20-30. He had a bad (for a WR) 3-cone time at the combine.

red
04-15-2023, 07:49 PM
I don’t know, this might be the least I’ve paid attention to the draft in as long as I can remember, couldn’t name you anyone other then a handful of QBs that everyone is talking about

That said, to me, there doesn’t seem to be a tone of special players for skill positions and we really done need a Wr or a CB anyways. Safety looks like not a lot of talent. I do not want to piss away another first rounder on a d-lineman

So I’m hopping for an elite OLB to pair with Gary (Preston is in cruise control these days, nothing great). Or just grab a nice OT. Either to replace bahk this year, or to shore up the RT for now with a move to LT in his near future

Bretsky
04-15-2023, 08:13 PM
I don’t know, this might be the least I’ve paid attention to the draft in as long as I can remember, couldn’t name you anyone other then a handful of QBs that everyone is talking about

That said, to me, there doesn’t seem to be a tone of special players for skill positions and we really done need a Wr or a CB anyways. Safety looks like not a lot of talent. I do not want to piss away another first rounder on a d-lineman

So I’m hopping for an elite OLB to pair with Gary (Preston is in cruise control these days, nothing great). Or just grab a nice OT. Either to replace bahk this year, or to shore up the RT for now with a move to LT in his near future

CB and TE are thought to be very deep, but I don't think CB is a need for GB.

Overall most think the draft is not that stacked

RashanGary
04-15-2023, 08:29 PM
CB and TE are thought to be very deep, but I don't think CB is a need for GB.

Overall most think the draft is not that stacked

With the changes in college sports to name image likeness money, a lot more are staying in school because they’re already getting paid. After a couple years the drafts should get deeper again.

Spaulding
04-16-2023, 09:55 AM
Hoping for Calijah Kancey (which might warrant trading down if possible to pick up extra picks as I think he'll go in the 20's) as although he's a beast of a 3 tech it seems he could play 5 technique and would benefit from Clark eating double teams.

Bretsky
04-16-2023, 10:16 AM
many think there will be a CB run from 16-20 and Seattle will be looking to move up with GB to get to 15. Just read an article predicting the trade and GB adding a 3rd and another pick.

Get another 2nd; we can't draft in round 3 :)

Sparkey
04-16-2023, 11:17 AM
Ideally a qb falls and the Packers trade back and add more picks in the 25-85 range.

Fritz
04-16-2023, 12:36 PM
God what if Guter picked up another third and hit on them both?

End times.

jklowan
04-16-2023, 03:42 PM
I vote for edge - Van ness at 15 or trade down for OT Darnell Wright

Joemailman
04-16-2023, 03:47 PM
God what if Guter picked up another third and hit on them both?

End times.

It would be a testament to the triumph of the human spirit. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!

Fritz
04-17-2023, 08:09 AM
It would be a testament to the triumph of the human spirit. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!

Did we quit when Ted drafted Damarius Randall and Quentin Rollins in 2015? NO!

Deputy Nutz
04-17-2023, 09:29 AM
Myles Murphy was my vote if he was there. He seems to be too gifted to pass up or trade back. I wouldn't trade up for him.

run pMc
04-20-2023, 12:22 PM

Classic line from a classic movie.

Problem is, I'll probably be quoting a different movie after Day 1:
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8fYf53SMg

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2023, 12:41 PM
Did we quit when Ted drafted Damarius Randall and Quentin Rollins in 2015? NO!

Obviously I was in a different head space in 2015 when it came to the Packers, but this was probably when Thompson should have been put to pasture. At the time I enjoyed it.

Tony Oday
04-20-2023, 01:41 PM
So glad this is his last draft

Arctic Fox
04-20-2023, 01:54 PM
TE Michael Mayer

Joemailman
04-20-2023, 02:01 PM
I'm not for Mayer at 15, but I won't be strongly opposed if it happens. I think he's one of the safest picks in the draft. Very high floor, almost no chance he's a bust.

Arctic Fox
04-20-2023, 02:04 PM
I'm not for Mayer at 15, but I won't be strongly opposed if it happens. I think he's one of the safest picks in the draft. Very high floor, almost no chance he's a bust.

I agree that he's a safe pick. My second choice is Van Ness

Fritz
04-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Obviously I was in a different head space in 2015 when it came to the Packers, but this was probably when Thompson should have been put to pasture. At the time I enjoyed it.

My experience with people who've been diagnosed (my father-in-law, my brother) is that after the "official" diagnosis, people begin to go back and re-think what came before, and most of the time come to the conclusion that the dementia was probably developing long, long before the actual diagnosis was made.

I think this may have been what happened with Thompson, and I don't know if you can tie that to draft picks, but he certainly lost his luster as a draftnik at this point. Still had some good picks after that, but not nearly so many. I blame Murphy for letting Thompson stay too long. Not only was it a disservice to the team, I think it was a disservice to Thompson, who by the accounts I've read really just liked the scouting part best and probably would've been fine having the GM duties taken and assigned to scout once again.

I have to say I'm not a huge Mark Murphy fan. Obviously the team has had success, and it's a damn money machine, but as far as some of his organizational decisions, I'm not a huge fan.

Fritz
04-20-2023, 03:25 PM
Oh. So my first pick would also be that Clemson Edge rusher.

run pMc
04-20-2023, 03:49 PM
I have to say I'm not a huge Mark Murphy fan. Obviously the team has had success, and it's a damn money machine, but as far as some of his organizational decisions, I'm not a huge fan.

As a digression: I'm not a fan of his either. I have no proof but there are times where it feels like he's meddled, and there have been times where at a minimum he's contributed to bungling things related to Rodgers.
I will say that if you judge him solely by his role in growing the business and making the Green Bay Packers profitable, he's done a very good job. If you believe some reports, between the team itself and Titletown District they have practically been printing money in recent years.

Murphy will have a complicated legacy that I think will soften in time, but I know a lot of fans don't care for him.

Fritz
04-20-2023, 03:52 PM
As a digression: I'm not a fan of his either. I have no proof but there are times where it feels like he's meddled, and there have been times where at a minimum he's contributed to bungling things related to Rodgers.
I will say that if you judge him solely by his role in growing the business and making the Green Bay Packers profitable, he's done a very good job. If you believe some reports, between the team itself and Titletown District they have practically been printing money in recent years.

Murphy will have a complicated legacy that I think will soften in time, but I know a lot of fans don't care for him.

Just to get us back on track with the thread, and just because I'm avoiding work, I'll mention here that apparently Ron Wolf used the #15 overall pick in 1993 to draft Wayne Simmons.

I'd love to see a Wayne Simmons-level player drafted at #15, complete with the nastiness but without the stupidity of, say, Quay Walker last year a few times.

Though I'm sure Simmons wouldn't have been able to play that style of his - he was flat-out nasty - in today's game.

run pMc
04-20-2023, 05:02 PM
Just to get us back on track with the thread, and just because I'm avoiding work, I'll mention here that apparently Ron Wolf used the #15 overall pick in 1993 to draft Wayne Simmons.

I'd love to see a Wayne Simmons-level player drafted at #15, complete with the nastiness but without the stupidity of, say, Quay Walker last year a few times.

Though I'm sure Simmons wouldn't have been able to play that style of his - he was flat-out nasty - in today's game.

Doubtful. I expect he'd be considered a dirty player. Maybe not Vontaze Burfict bad, but still.
I agree GB's defense could use a few wardaddy-types, or glass-eaters or ass-kickers or whatever you want to call them. They have some chirpy guys in the secondary, but I don't think they are an especially physical or rugged defense. One or two of them can change a defense completely.

red
04-20-2023, 06:29 PM
Doubtful. I expect he'd be considered a dirty player. Maybe not Vontaze Burfict bad, but still.
I agree GB's defense could use a few wardaddy-types, or glass-eaters or ass-kickers or whatever you want to call them. They have some chirpy guys in the secondary, but I don't think they are an especially physical or rugged defense. One or two of them can change a defense completely.

do those exist anymore?

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2023, 08:34 AM

Outside of a few games, Wayne Simmons's play was mostly uneventful as a Packer. I was in my teens when he played for the Packers, and I do remember some of his violence on the field in Green Bay but simply I don't think there was enough of it.

Fritz
04-21-2023, 12:42 PM
I guess memories are different. I was in my thirties, and I remember him being pretty impactful and violent, to the point some teams ran away from his side. Or maybe I just can't stop thinking about that Amp Lee throwdown. It was just so sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbcj0dg5AE

Travisb72
04-21-2023, 07:03 PM
Hello everyone, new to this site..
anyhow, here is what I’d like to see Gute do..

1.) trade back to the lower 20’s and pick up an additional second. Maybe the cowboys want to trade up to get bijan.
Or
2) a small trade back, pick up an additional pick and draft bresee(sp). Packers are near the bottom of the league in rushing defense. The need some beef on the line

MadtownPacker
04-27-2023, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone, new to this site..
anyhow, here is what I’d like to see Gute do..

1.) trade back to the lower 20’s and pick up an additional second. Maybe the cowboys want to trade up to get bijan.
Or
2) a small trade back, pick up an additional pick and draft bresee(sp). Packers are near the bottom of the league in rushing defense. The need some beef on the lineWhat’s up Travis. Welcome to the forum. This post was not visible until right now because your account hadnt been activated completely. It is now and you’re able to post and everyone can see it.