View Full Version : 2023 5th Round Pick #159 WR Dontayvion Wicks

Joemailman
04-29-2023, 09:41 PM
Dontayvion Wicks
6'1"
206 lbs
Virginia

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wicks is a smart route runner with the foot speed to set up his inside/outside releases and quickly gain leverage getting off the line. He ran slower than expected at the combine, but he tracks the deep ball well and threatens vertically on tape. He's an instinctive open-field runner who flashes after the catch. He dropped too many passes in 2022. -- Steve Muench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PglU_A0V3FE

RashanGary
04-29-2023, 10:22 PM
Reminds me of James Jones.

run pMc
04-30-2023, 12:53 PM
Prototypical GB guy but the drops scare me. I think that's PTSD from J'Mon Moore, as drops are usually streaky and highly variable from year to year. if that can be corrected he could pan out to be a good player, he has pretty good skills for a R5 guy. 2021 was a much better season for him and VA in general -- 2022 UVA had a coaching change and was a dumpster fire.

Fritz
04-30-2023, 01:01 PM
Worth a shot, right? See if a good receivers coach can help him reduce the drops?

Why not. I'm on board.

King Friday
04-30-2023, 01:10 PM
Decent value pick at this point the draft. The WR room is going to be YOUNG this season.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2023, 03:26 PM
I didn't love this guy's tape. I did watch two of his 2021 games--which were supposed to be better than 2022. I had a 5th round grade on him. I'll maybe watch another game or two to see if there's something I missed. DuBose is taller, had a faster 40, 10 yard split, and 3 cone.

run pMc
04-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Yep. Didn't have any cap space to sign OBJ ;)

I don't think they will bother signing a veteran WR at this point unless there's one with something in the tank left who will take a cheap 1 year deal. 13 picks will use up a good 9M of their cap space.

Joemailman
05-01-2023, 07:34 PM
Can't make up my mind about Wicks. Doesn't look explosive to me, but gets open and seems to be able to make people miss. Maybe his quickness is deceptive. Only ran a 4.62 40 but his 10 yard split (1.55) was excellent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvEGOrvWYAgADFS?format=jpg&name=small

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2023, 08:49 PM
I'm going to rewatch this guy's film--primarily from 2021. Apparently, his hamstring injury affected his combine performance and he ran in the low 4.5s at his Pro Day--although you can take that with a grain of salt. I will say he probably had the worst drop rate in this class.

Joemailman
12-21-2023, 03:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GB4a41JboAA636j?format=png&name=small

Bretsky
12-21-2023, 04:48 PM
Love that guy. He has a chance to really reaally be dam good

run pMc
12-22-2023, 12:17 PM
The guy played well 6 days after getting a high ankle sprain. He's good and is gonna get better. Looking like a great pick, especially in R5.

Who is the better pair of picks- Reed + Wicks or Watson + Doubs?

It's early but I'm leaning R+W.

Joemailman
12-22-2023, 12:40 PM
The guy played well 6 days after getting a high ankle sprain. He's good and is gonna get better. Looking like a great pick, especially in R5.

Right now it's Reed and Wicks, but might go the other way if Watson's hamstring problems end.

Kind of interesting how they're all different.

Watson is the height/speed guy.

Wicks is the smooth route runner.

Reed is the versatile guy.

Doubs is the possession/contested catch guy.

Bretsky
12-22-2023, 01:31 PM

Long term, I'd say Doubbs is 4 and Reed is 3.
I think Wicks might be the real deal and I am unsure on Watson because he is always hurt

If they could stay healthy I'd say Watson and WIcks are a great starting combo and Reed as the 3 offers a ton of value

RashanGary
12-22-2023, 01:32 PM
Right now it's Reed and Wicks, but might go the other way if Watson's hamstring problems end.

Kind of interesting how they're all different.

Watson is the height/speed guy.

Wicks is the smooth route runner.

Reed is the versatile guy.

Doubs is the possession/contested catch guy.

It’s very ideal when they’re healthy. So many ways to attack.

Adding on, Kraft and Musgrave are very different too.

Musgrave, while a Jimmy Graham body/speed type, seems to have potential as a blocker, has clear deep speed for long crossers and seams. He’s kind of an all around in line TE with the option so split out wide because of speed.

And Kraft, while 6’5”, breaks down well in space and could actually be used in the backfield despite not being that 6’3” and under type that’s usually back there. He probably isn’t ideal to split out, but everything else a TE can usually do, he can do. So that opens up some options.

RashanGary
12-22-2023, 01:34 PM
I don’t think you’re seeing Musgrave of Kraft in their full roles just yet because TE is such a hard spot to learn and putting them out wide (musgrave) or in the backfield (Kraft) is a huge mental load. But next year, they’re going to expand.

When everyone is healthy, Lafleur will have a lot of options as far as how he wants to attack a defense from week to week in the passing game and with his run blocking schemes.

Fritz
12-24-2023, 09:20 AM
Boy, Wicks is that guy that looks like a man amongst boys out there. He's a beast. Reminds me a little of - can I say this?- Sterling Sharpe.

MadtownPacker
12-24-2023, 09:38 AM
That a great comparison, kinda runs the same huh.

red
12-24-2023, 01:49 PM
And he’s hurt

Sharpe use to play with a broken neck