Joemailman
04-29-2023, 10:31 PM
WR
Grant DuBose
6'2"
201 lbs
Charlotte

Pre-Draft Analysis
DuBose is a physical and strong receiver at his best working the middle of the field. He has the body control to adjust in the air, and he's effective running goal-line fades. He flashes the ability to come down with 50-50 balls downfield and runs hard after the catch, but DuBose doesn't have the second gear to take the top off the coverage or pull away from pursuit. -- Steve Muench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlevi9JUQE

MadScientist
04-29-2023, 11:54 PM
Good with the contested catch, but not a lot of getting open. Still the Packers to someone to be the 6th or 7th receiver.

Fritz
04-30-2023, 07:45 AM
I think Harv really liked this guy.

Watching the highlights, I liked their QB, Reynolds.

King Friday
04-30-2023, 01:16 PM
Not thrilled with this pick. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who would excel on special teams, but maybe I’m wrong. I was hoping we’d get some OL talent or more DBs at this point.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2023, 03:18 PM
Maybe my favorite day 3 pick. I think there's a solid chance that this guy ends up being better than Wicks. I had Tom higher than Rhyan last year. Might be the same situation.

run pMc
04-30-2023, 03:25 PM
Not thrilled with this pick. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who would excel on special teams, but maybe I’m wrong. I was hoping we’d get some OL talent or more DBs at this point.

they picked a CB and S with a couple of the R7 picks, and there really wasn't anyone left who was likely to be better than any OL they have on the roster currently. Makes sense to take a flyer on a WR, and some scouts really like DuBose. Not sure if he has a defining trait but he's depth and competition for the group at a minimum.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2023, 04:11 PM
Longer highlights film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCazC0cDUgg

Joemailman
04-30-2023, 04:23 PM
He does look more explosive than Wicks, to the extent you can tell from a highlight film. Only played 2 years of college ball, and not against top competition, so still developing.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2023, 05:01 PM
DuBose did perform well against tougher competition. He had 20 receptions for 321 yards and 3 TDs in the four games against Big 10 and ACC competition. That's a good sign for a small school player. He faced some good CBs in those games (Deonte Banks and Jakorian Bennett of Maryland, Devon Witherspoon of Illinois, and Cam Smith and Darius Rush of South Carolina).

Joemailman
05-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Dubose makes some nice catches in tight coverage. You just don't see him getting separation very often. If he can improve his ability to get some separation off press coverage, I think he's got a little James Jones in him.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2023, 01:39 PM
James Jones didn’t really get separation, and he’sa decent comp for DuBose—although I think DuBose is more athletic.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2023, 01:42 PM
https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=23037&p2=7827&pos=

Fritz
05-03-2023, 04:46 PM
https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=23037&p2=7827&pos=

If this guy turned out to be as good as James Jones, that would be a fabulous seventh-round pick. Hell, Jones was maybe the best third-round pick the Packers have made in the last twenty years.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2023, 07:18 PM
If this guy turned out to be as good as James Jones, that would be a fabulous seventh-round pick. Hell, Jones was maybe the best third-round pick the Packers have made in the last twenty years.

He likely won't be James Jones, but I think he has a chance to surprise some folks. People say he can't separate, but he has sneaky quickness + great body control and hands. Reed ran 4.45 in the 40. DuBose ran 4.57, but DuBose's 1.52 10 yard split was actually better than Reed's 1.53 10 yard split. His other testing numbers were really solid. He was solid in vert, good in broad jump, and his 6.89 3 cone was really good at 6'2".

Fritz
05-04-2023, 07:21 AM
Don’t try to temper expectations at this time of the year, Harv. Dude is gonna be a Hall of Famer!

run pMc
05-04-2023, 12:48 PM
I like Dubose and think he'll at a minimum stick on the PS. I worry about the lack of separation. From what I've seen he did face a good amount of man and press, likely because he wasn't a homerun threat. Great competitor, and he's quick off the line, his 10 yard split is fast but his flying 20 not so much. WRs who make a lot of contested catches on the college level don't often succeed at the pro level. He could be an exception, but the QB is likely to look elsewhere if you're not open. I think MLF could probably get him open via the scheme.

By all accounts he's a good dude and a hard worker, he might be able to hone his route running and learn to better separate. I'm rooting for him.

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Screw chicks, tonight I'm hanging with DuBoyzz

Jaire
05-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Season hangs on Love (and the .... DC). Plenty of talent imo.

Good draft for a weak draft class

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2023, 10:07 AM
Exactly

RashanGary
05-06-2023, 12:16 PM
We have 8 first round picks on defense. But 50% of first round picks bust. So we have 4 good players. 8 first round picks isn’t what ya’ll are making it out to be.

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2023, 03:28 PM
Clark, Gary, Alexander, Stokes, Walker, Wyatt, Savage, only 8 if you count Van Ness. I sure don't see 4 busts in there. Who other than Savage are you calling a bust?

The biggest bust is JoeBarry.

RashanGary
05-06-2023, 06:49 PM
Clark, Gary, Alexander, Stokes, Walker, Wyatt, Savage, only 8 if you count Van Ness. I sure don't see 4 busts in there. Who other than Savage are you calling a bust?

The biggest bust is JoeBarry.

Literally one of them is a great player. Two are good starters and the rest are average at best. It’s not like he has 8 probowlers. 8 first rounders don’t mean shit when most first rounders aren’t that good.

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Whatever, but this came from your post: "50% of first round picks bust". Who are you calling "great", Jaire or Clark? I'd say both are top 3 or 4 in the league at their positions. Ditto that for your guy, Gary, before the injury. Walker, Wyatt, and Stokes aren't to that level yet, but the potential certainly is there, and they have been at least good overall even as rookies. That leaves just the rookie and Savage. I could see people writing Savage off as a bust, although even he still could turn out decent/above bust level.

run pMc
05-07-2023, 01:19 PM
We have 8 first round picks on defense. But 50% of first round picks bust. So we have 4 good players. 8 first round picks isn’t what ya’ll are making it out to be.

You're thinking about this backwards -- just because there are 8 R1 picks on defense doesn't mean 4 of them are by definition busts. Some GMs draft better than others, some HC and DL coaches are better.
It's too early to say on Walker and Wyatt, and do we ever know about Stokes yet?

Jaire and Clark both signed top 5 contracts for their positions at the time, that's not a bust. Gary will likely sign for top 5 money too.
I absolutely think the seat is hot for Joe Barry and the rest of the defensive staff (esp. Jerry Montgomery) based on Gute's comments about having high expectations for the defense. I know they talk like that every year, but there was something in how he repeatedly said it that makes me think Barry's head will be on the chopping block, and MLF will lose some cachet for sticking with him as long as he has.

I'm not sure what this all have to do with Grant Dubose (the topic), but whatever.